• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pilgrimage to Sri Puri Jagannath

Respected Members,
I am planning to go with my wife (Both senior citizens) from Chennai to have darshan of Sri Puri Jagannath.Members who have gone to Puri may please guide me regarding the place to stay, visiting nearby places and the approximate number of days required at Puri etc. I will be grateful for a detailed reply from our member at the earliest.
Thanks,
S.Gopalan.
Chennai

I would like to share my experience of my pilgrimage to Sri Puri Jagannath last week. There is a weekly once direct train to Puri from Chennai. Train No.22860, which leaves MAS at 16.25 Hrs. and reaches Puri the next day at 13.45 hours. At Puri station we engaged an Auto and reached our hotel, "SRIPAD VATIKA",in Temple Road, Puri-752001.(Mob : 7655990499) Since I had already sent some advance, they have booked one A.C. Room for us. The room was well maintained and the bathroom is also clean. Sri Jagannath Temple is 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Fortunately they serve only vegetarian food (without garlic, onion). One can get rice, roti, dhal, curd and vegetable. In the terrace, one can dry their washed clothe and one should carry sufficient clips, otherwise the heavy wind will blow all your clothe. As such Puri is very hot. One can plan the journey between September middle and February. The Rath Yatra this time is in June-July. It is very difficult to get accommodation and people book rooms three months in advance. On Tuesday, eveniing we went to temple to have darshan of Sri Jagannath. Ofcourse, it was crowded and later we witnessed the flag changing ceremony.

The next day ealy morning around 5.30 A.M we went and stood in the line to have darshan of the Lord. They allowed us around 6.30 A.M there was a huge crowd. We had darshan of the Lord and then wondering how to see other important places inside the temple. By Lord Sri Jagannath Blessings, one Pandit was looking at us and he called us and gave us some Tulsi Prasad and asked about us and he volunteered to show us the important places inside the temple. His name is Pandit Santosh (mob-8280056649). He is certainly not money minded. He took us around all the sannadhis and explained its importance. He took us to the Kitchen (Madapalli), where food is prepared for the Lord Sri Jagannath and later offered to the pilgrims. He took us to the Brindavan, where the old Murthies are being buried (Year 2015). He can speak hindi and oria only.

In the afternoon after 3.00 P.M, Pandit Santosh again asked us to come to the temple and again had darshan of the Lord and later he took us to Anand Bazaar (inside the temple only) where "Maha Prasad" is available. He asked us to sit at a place, brought Banana Leaves, then he served us with his own hand, rice, dhal, koottu, vegetables sweet rice, kheer (Rabdi) and variety of items. We were really blessed to have had "Maha Prasad". the cost was Rs.550 /- and it is worth it.

On thursday, we went for local tour, again the hotel book tickets for the tour. We opted for the A.C Bus as the day was very hot. they took us to Chandrabhaga ( Konark sea Beach), Konark (Sun Temple), Dhauligiri (Biswa Buddha), Kedar Gowri ( Mukteswar, Sidheswar Temple), Nandankanan (Zoo in Bhuveneshwar), finally Bhuvenshwar station to drop some passengers and dropped us at Puri around 9.15 P.M. If one desires, they can hire a local cab to go to Konark (Sun Temple) spend sometime and return back to Puri.

On Friday early morning at 5.30 A.M we went to the temple to have darshan and the Pandit Santosh made us to have good darshan of the Lord around 6.45 A.M. I paid Pandi Santosh Rs.1,000 /-. and for his wonderful service, he is worth more. He blessed us and we took leave off him. We took an A.C Bus from Puri Bus stand to Bhubeneshwar, a 90 minutes journey, I have booked my tickets in Bhuveneshwar - Rameswaram S.F.Express, which leaves at 12.10 P.M.

There are many good hotels, very near to the temple, i.e in Grand road- where the Rath Yatra take place. I could visit just two hotels only, one is "Hotel Shree Hari"., which is really grand, the room tariff is Rs.2700 /- per day.( contact nos. 91-6752-252005, 252006, 9583002990).

the next one is "Hotel Dharmajyoti"- room tariff Rs.1500 /- per day, contact nos. 06752-297873, 252669, 252629., 8763329759-www.jyotigroupofhotels.com (one chaiwala serves very good tea inside the complex)

for Hotel Sripad Vatika, the tariff is Rs,1200 /-,

If any other information is required, I will be very happy to provide the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haribol !!!
Haribol !!!

Prabhuji !!! you asked for guidance whereas Krsna's Mercy, he made you to visit and share your experience.
This is the nature of Lord Krsna (Mayakoothan).

All Krsna's Mercy 🙏

I would like to share my experience of my pilgrimage to Sri Puri Jagannath last week. There is a weekly once direct train to Puri from Chennai. Train No.22860, which leaves MAS at 16.25 Hrs. and reaches Puri the next day at 13.45 hours. At Puri station we engaged an Auto and reached our hotel, "SRIPAD VATIKA",in Temple Road, Puri-752001.(Mob : 7655990499) Since I had already sent some advance, they have booked one A.C. Room for us. The room was well maintained and the bathroom is also clean. Sri Jagannath Temple is 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Fortunately they serve only vegetarian food (without garlic, onion). One can get rice, roti, dhal, curd and vegetable. In the terrace, one can dry their washed clothe and one should carry sufficient clips, otherwise the heavy wind will blow all your clothe. As such Puri is very hot. One can plan the journey between September middle and February. The Rath Yatra this time is in June-July. It is very difficult to get accommodation and people book rooms three months in advance. On Tuesday, eveniing we went to temple to have darshan of Sri Jagannath. Ofcourse, it was crowded and later we witnessed the flag changing ceremony.

The next day ealy morning around 5.30 A.M we went and stood in the line to have darshan of the Lord. They allowed us around 6.30 A.M there was a huge crowd. We had darshan of the Lord and then wondering how to see other important places inside the temple. By Lord Sri Jagannath Blessings, one Pandit was looking at us and he called us and gave us some Tulsi Prasad and asked about us and he volunteered to show us the important places inside the temple. His name is Pandit Santosh (mob-8280056649). He is certainly not money minded. He took us around all the sannadhis and explained its importance. He took us to the Kitchen (Madapalli), where food is prepared for the Lord Sri Jagannath and later offered to the pilgrims. He took us to the Brindavan, where the old Murthies are being buried (Year 2015). He can speak hindi and oria only.

In the afternoon after 3.00 P.M, Pandit Santosh again asked us to come to the temple and again had darshan of the Lord and later he took us to Anand Bazaar (inside the temple only) where "Maha Prasad" is available. He asked us to sit at a place, brought Banana Leaves, then he served us with his own hand, rice, dhal, koottu, vegetables sweet rice, kheer (Rabdi) and variety of items. We were really blessed to have had "Maha Prasad". the cost was Rs.550 /- and it is worth it.

On thursday, we went for local tour, again the hotel book tickets for the tour. We opted for the A.C Bus as the day was very hot. they took us to Chandrabhaga ( Konark sea Beach), Konark (Sun Temple), Dhauligiri (Biswa Buddha), Kedar Gowri ( Mukteswar, Sidheswar Temple), Nandankanan (Zoo in Bhuveneshwar), finally Bhuvenshwar station to drop some passengers and dropped us at Puri around 9.15 P.M. If one desires, they can hire a local cab to go to Konark (Sun Temple) spend sometime and return back to Puri.

On Friday early morning at 5.30 A.M we went to the temple to have darshan and the Pandit Santosh made us to have good darshan of the Lord around 6.45 A.M. I paid Pandi Santosh Rs.1,000 /-. and for his wonderful service, he is worth more. He blessed us and we took leave off him. We took an A.C Bus from Puri Bus stand to Bhubeneshwar, a 90 minutes journey, I have booked my tickets in Bhuveneshwar - Rameswaram S.F.Express, which leaves at 12.10 P.M.

There are many good hotels, very near to the temple, i.e in Grand road- where the Rath Yatra take place. I could visit just two hotels only, one is "Hotel Shree Hari"., which is really grand, the room tariff is Rs.2700 /- per day.( contact nos. 91-6752-252005, 252006, 9583002990).

the next one is "Hotel Dharmajyoti"- room tariff Rs.1500 /- per day, contact nos. 06752-297873, 252669, 252629., 8763329759-www.jyotigroupofhotels.com (one chaiwala serves very good tea inside the complex)

for Hotel Sripad Vatika, the tariff is Rs,1200 /-,

If any other information is required, I will be very happy to provide the same.
Very useful information for those interested to visit puri.

Latest ads

Back