• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

people whom Lord Krishna worshipped?

Dear all, can any of the learned Members throw some light on the people whom Lord Krishna worshipped as per the Shloka :Nithyaanadhaathaa- tarunaagnihotri
Vedhaantha vidh chandrasahasra darsiiMa
Can anyone tell where this shloka can be found in Vedas.
I am not a learned person but this should help.
The person who wrote this used to be a member of forum before.
However he doesnt mention where the shloka is found.
I am not too sure if its found in the Vedas as the Sanskrit in the shloka seems more like Classical Sanskrit.

In the previous post we got a definition of who should be worshipped.

"I worship the following six people: Those who provide food every day, who are well versed in the Vedas, who do fire ceremony, who observe regular fasting every month, who have seen at least 1000 crescent moon in their life time and those women who are chaste."

Does Ganesha, Hanuman, Rama, or Sita: meet any of these conditions? Or does Shiva or Vishnu meet any of these conditions? If not then should they be worshipped?
Remember Rama banished Sita because she was not THAT chaste.

Why should Krishna worship anyone else? He was GOD.

Last edited:
In the previous post we got a definition of who should be worshipped.

"I worship the following six people: Those who provide food every day, who are well versed in the Vedas, who do fire ceremony, who observe regular fasting every month, who have seen at least 1000 crescent moon in their life time and those women who are chaste."

Does Ganesha, Hanuman, Rama, or Sita: meet any of these conditions? Or does Shiva or Vishnu meet any of these conditions? If not then should they be worshipped?
Remember Rama banished Sita because she was not THAT chaste.

Why should Krishna worship anyone else? He was GOD.
Dear Prasad ji...in the full shloka the word वन्दनीया ( vandanIyA) is used.

vandanIyA has more than one mode of expression in Sanskrit.
When used for God it means salutation as in worship.

When used for a country as in Vande Mataram it means we respectfully salute the country as our mother land.

When used for a human, it denotes worthy of respect, worthy of being adored.

So this shloka is a poetic expression of how God lovingly adores the 6 type of people stated.

The translation isnt accurate.
Krishna isnt worshipping anyone, He simply lovingly adores them.

Dear Prasad ji...in the full shloka the word वन्दनीया ( vandanIyA) is used.

vandanIyA has more than one mode of expression in Sanskrit.
When used for God it means salutation as in worship.

When used for a country as in Vande Mataram it means we respectfully salute the country as our mother land.

When used for a human, it denotes worthy of respect, worthy of being adored.

So this shloka is a poetic expression of how God lovingly adores the 6 type of people stated.

The translation isnt accurate.
Krishna isnt worshipping anyone, He simply lovingly adores them.
I buy your explanation of Sanskrit. But I am still not comfortable with the sloka.

Who is a chaste woman? Why is that qualification applied only a to woman?
Hinduism
Hinduism's view on premarital sex is rooted in its concept of Ashrama (stage) or the stages of life. The first of these stages, known as Brahmacharya, roughly translates as chastity. Celibacy and chastity are considered the appropriate behavior for both male and female students during this stage, which precedes the stage of the married householder (Grihastha). Sanyasis and Hindu monks or Sadhus are also celibate as part of their ascetic discipline. Why does Krishna only salute Chaste woman? What about unchaste man? I think that poetry by London Swaminathan is just that, it must not be elevated to a shloka.

I buy your explanation of Sanskrit. But I am still not comfortable with the sloka.

Who is a chaste woman? Why is that qualification applied only a to woman?
Hinduism
Hinduism's view on premarital sex is rooted in its concept of Ashrama (stage) or the stages of life. The first of these stages, known as Brahmacharya, roughly translates as chastity. Celibacy and chastity are considered the appropriate behavior for both male and female students during this stage, which precedes the stage of the married householder (Grihastha). Sanyasis and Hindu monks or Sadhus are also celibate as part of their ascetic discipline. Why does Krishna only salute Chaste woman? What about unchaste man? I think that poetry by London Swaminathan is just that, it must not be elevated to a shloka.
Agreed, chastity is always only for woman.
Men get away with being unchaste.

Latest ads

Back