• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaya jayahe Karnataka maate was composed by K V Puttapa [kuvempu] has been adopted by karnataka govt as state anthem. His centenary was celebrated recently

Until then 'vaachika dosham kshandavya'. I am told it is vaachika not vaasaga by yahoo.com as vaasaga might mean the person who reads.

I think it is வாசக தோஷஹ ஷந்தவ்யஹ/ வாசக தோஷஹ க்ஷந்தவ்யஹ

அன்புடன்

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is வாசக தோஷஹ ஷந்தவ்யஹ....

அன்புடன்
I too used to think so.

It is written that way in all muhurtham invitation cards

When I tried spell checking in yahoo, it said people wrongly write vaasaga instead of vaachika.

Only sanskrit scholars can enlighten

Who is Tamizh Thai? ........
Dear Renu,

Let me give the correct answer. :)

Tamil language has lots of fantastic literary works, which include
'aim perum kAppiyangaL' meaning 'Five huge epics'.

They are '
Seevaka ChinthAmaNi, KuNdalakEsi, VaLaiyApathi, MaNimEkalai and SilappathikAram.

Tamil language is depicted as a beautiful Goddess and these are Her special ornaments.

Seevaka ChinthAmaNi decorates Her crown (ChinthAmaNi is the stone on the crown); KuNdalakEsi is Her ear drops;

VaLaiyApathi is Her bangles; MaNimEkalai is Her oddiyANam and SilappathikAram is Her anklets. :thumb:

Do we have these in other languages? NO!! :nono:

And.......... please read this, taken from Wiki:

Tamil Thai Kovil is a temple in which the presiding deity is Tamil Thai representing Tamil language. This temple, located

in Karaikudi in Sivagangadistrict in Tamil Nadu, is the only temple in the world for worshiping a language as a god or goddess.

The temple is situated inside the Kamban Mani Mandabam and the street in which the temple is located has been named Tamil

Thai Kovil Street.The idea of establishing such a temple was conceived by Kamban Adippodi Saa. Ganesan the founder of Kamban

Vizha Kazhagam. The Tamil Thai temple was declared open in 1993, by Mu. Karunanidhi. The main shrine is for Tamil Thai. On

either side of the idol of Tamil Thai, there are smaller idols of Agastyar and Tholkappiyar. Outside the main shrine are icons of Oli

Thai (the Goddess of Sound) and Vari Thai (the Goddess of Letters). There are separate enclosures for Kamban, Ilango Adigal and

Thiruvalluvar. V. Ganapati Sthapati, temple architect and builder from Karaikudi, designed, constructed and did the sculpturing

work of the temple.

The idol of Tamil Thai installed in the temple is not worshiped in the same way as the idols installed in other temples. The Tamil

Thai temple remains closed except during the Kamban Vizha which happens during the month of April every year.

RRji

Is it the language Tamil being worshipped or the land where the tamils inhabit.

Bharat mata refers to india. Tamizh thai by same logic should refer to tamilnadu not tamil language.

I learnt tamil more from tamil magazines like anandavikatan, kumudam and kalki.I got exposed to novels of historical and social novels of kalki krishnamurthi, Devan of

anandavikatan, SAP of of kumudam and female novelists like rajam krishnan, choodamani serialised in these magazines. Then there were Tamil films with weekly once

morning shows in fifties and early sixties[now in multiplexes it is the latest releases]. I still buy a few novels of sujata and such modern writers on my south india trips

Dear krishji,

My interest in Tamil was also nurtured by the Tamil weeklies like Anandavikatan, Kalki, Kumudam and Kalaimagal in those days. My uncle, a retired colonel from Army used to get all these magazines and after reading would faithfully send them to my mother for reading. We were living in a remote village in Tirunelveli District and he was living in Srivilliputtur. It was basically an agriculturist's family as we owned lands and were cultivating. So all magazines used to come to us one week late from my uncle after his reading them. But as my mother's interest in reading the serials was a very healthy robust one, I too became infected with that interest. Thus Ponniyin selvan, Sivakamiyin sabatham, Thuppariyum Chambu, Kanni Madam, Yavana Rani, Washingtonil thirumanam etc., were serials we have not only read but also discussed extensively at home among friends and relatives. And every week we used to wait with bated breath for the arrival of the post man who delivered these magazines which were sent by book-post by my uncle. For a long time I was imagining myself to be the Aparajithan of the Kannimadam novel by Chandilyan in Kumudam. Then we also had a huge collection of Tamil Novels at home written by Vaduvur Duraiswamy Iyengar and Vai Mu Kothainayagi. I have read novels like Suya maranapuraththin Marmam written by VDI from a book which was so old that it used just break if handled roughly.

But that was an appetite which was unique. An appetite for good reading material in Tamil. From that as I continued my journey in the other track through college I got interested in Literature proper. And the story continues............. Nostalgic memories. LOL.

It is the language which is worshipped.

The poet who wrote the current Thamizh Thai Vazhththu had written as follows:

கன்னடமும் களிதெலுங்கும் கவின்மலையாளமும் துளுவும் உன்னுதரத்து உதித்தெழுந்தே ஒன்று பலவாயிடினும்
ஆரியம்போல் உலகவழக்கு ஒழிந்து அழிந்து சிதையா உன் சீரிளமைத்திறம் வியந்து செயல் மறந்து வாழ்த்துதுமே!!

Actually this poem is a standing example of what is language chauvinism. It is also a standing example of a mind which was completely influenced by the hatred opiate of casteism which was prevalent in in this land in the days in which the poet lived. And it is finally a sample of the kind of second rate poetry which tried to compensate what it lacked by way of quality content and error free expression of thoughts with just language chauvinism and hatred for Sanskrit.

Now let us see how the above judgment is supported:

The words உன் சீரிளமைத்திறம் வியந்து செயல் மறந்து வாழ்த்துதுமே!! has an inbuilt serious error. This is called in Tamil as "பொருள் குற்றம்". A kavithai has to be free of சொற்குற்றம் and பொருட்குற்றம் ( error in meaning and expression). Here the word cheyal maranthu vaazhththuthum means "I greet you knowing not what I do". So it means the greeting is meaningless. It is done without the intention to greet. There are other such blatant errors in expression in the Manonmaneeyam of Sri Sundaram Pillai. So it ultimately means that the Tamil Thaai vaazhththu is not a perfect literary piece which deserves that place. LOL.

But in Tamilnadu it is not important that you should have a perfect piece of literature for recognition, it is enough if you wear the right label and has the well known hatred as content in what you say. That is politics.

Last edited:
Vaagmiji

Life of younger days were different . In larger families we youngsters all used to await the delivery man for these magazines and fight over who will read first.I found

kalkis novels elaborate ,Suppariyum sambu hilarious, Sandilyan with yavanarani and kadal pura sent our heart beat racing [Though it dealt with exploits of chola kings,

the description of womens anatomy in his novels sent our young hearts racing].There was excessive sex in description of women and all adolescents could imagine

that were chola princes and no less.lol. Saavi s washington il tirumanam was one attempt to describe marriage of indians who emigrated

to US and how marriages got performed there.Many vaishavites bought swadesamitran. I read some novels of T. Janakiraman like mohamull and Anbe aramudhe

serialised only in these magazines.

RRji

Is it the language Tamil being worshipped or the land where the tamils inhabit.

Bharat mata refers to india. Tamizh thai by same logic should refer to tamilnadu not tamil language.
:nono:

Please read this page patiently and try to understand, dear Krish Sir!

This is the original song written by Sundaranar and it clearly shows Tamizh Thaay is the language.

The writer claims that Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Thulu are born from Tamil!!

There is a line which demeans Sanskrit!
(
ஆரியம்போல் உலகவழக்கழிந் தொழிந்து ...........)

“நீராரும் கடலுடுத்த நிலமடந்தைக் கெழிலொழுகும்
சீராரும் வதனமெனத் திகழ்பரதக் கண்டமிதில்

தெக்கணமும் அதிற்சிறந்த திராவிடநல் திருநாடும்
தக்கசிறு பிறைநுதலும் தரித்தநறும் திலகமுமே!

அத்திலக வாசனைபோல் அனைத்துலகும் இன்பமுற
எத்திசையும் புகழ்மணக்க இருந்தபெரும் தமிழணங்கே!

பல்லுயிரும் பலவுலகும் படைத்தளித்துத் துடைக்கினுமோர்
எல்லையறு பரம்பொருள்முன் இருந்தபடி இருப்பதுபோல்

கன்னடமுங் களிதெலுங்கும் கவின்மலையாளமும் துளுவும்
உன்னுதரத் தேயுதித்தே ஒன்றுபல வாகிடினும்

ஆரியம்போல் உலகவழக்கழிந் தொழிந்து சிதையாவுன்
சீரிளமைத் திறம்வியந்து செயன்மறந்து வாழ்த்துதுமே!”

I learnt tamil more from tamil magazines like anandavikatan, kumudam and kalki.

Dear krishji,

My interest in Tamil was also nurtured by the Tamil weeklies like Anandavikatan, Kalki, Kumudam and Kalaimagal in those days.

Why no one is mentioning my childhood hero, tamizh vANan of kalkaNdu? I then believed he was the greatest crime detective and could not wait for the newspaper guy to drop that magazine to quench my thirst for the latest episode of Thuppaiyum Shankarlal.

So sad :(

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

When we are filled with surprise, we are in a trance - a semi-conscious state, characterized by an absence of response to

external stimuli, typically as induced by hypnosis or entered by a medium. So, in this state we know nothing other than

praising Her!

So, there seems to be NO porut kutram in the lyrics, imho. :)

Why no one is mentioning my childhood hero, tamizh vANan of kalkaNdu? ......
Tamizh vANan had lots and lots of fans. He had an inimitable style of writing. :clap2:

Lena, his son is doing good job now but at times he is funny!

One of his translations was this: Peanut butter =
நிலக்கடலை வெண்ணெய்!! ;)

Why no one is mentioning my childhood hero, tamizh vANan of kalkaNdu? I then believed he was the greatest crime detective and could not wait for the newspaper guy to drop that magazine to quench my thirst for the latest episode of Thuppaiyum Shankarlal.

Though Kalkandu was available, the photo of tamilvanan with his cooling glasses did not appeal to brahmin sentiment. specially he dealt with crime and thrillers did not

appeal to brahmin community.I believe his son lena tamilvanan carries on his legacy.

We worship the language; and later on talk in English!! :lol:
In offices in delhi, even when dealing with other tamils we use english.

We consider that official and a bit impersonal.

If we talk in tamil with each other , then others conclude we are favouring our own people or we have personal links with each other

We will be dismissed of as south indian jaat bhais.

It is easier to say unpleasant negative things in english than in tamil in offices.This way one keeps distance.lol

dear vaagmi sir,

when we are filled with surprise, we are in a trance - a semi-conscious state, characterized by an absence of response to

external stimuli, typically as induced by hypnosis or entered by a medium. So, in this state we know nothing other than

praising her!

So, there seems to be no porut kutram in the lyrics, imho. :)

செயலிழந்து, செயல் மறந்து நிற்கலாம். செயலிழந்து, செயல் மறந்து யாரும் பாடுவதில்லை. வாழ்த்துவதில்லை.

நெற்றிக்கண் திறந்தாலும் குற்றம் குற்றமே!! Lol.

Sir,

I still remember his motto in Kalkanndu used to be "Thunivee Thunai" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Vaagmi Sir,

Have you seen the popular 'RangammA, mAji RangammA' song?

The signature song "Rangamma" of Shri Vittaldas Maharaj

Everyone on the stage and most of the audience stand up in a trance and sing + :dance: !!

Dear RRji,

Trance is more like a dreamy state. It is not an actionless inert state.

The point is:

மனிதர்கள் செய்வதை மறந்து எதுவும் செய்வதில்லை.செய்வதை மறந்து மயங்கலாம், செய்வதை மறந்து விழலாம். எதையும் முனைந்து செய்ய முடியாது. செயலில் முனைப்பு மறந்தபோது மறைகிறது.There is a முரண் in the very sentence itself when you say செயல் மறந்து வாழ்த்துகிறேன் or செயல் மறந்து புகழ்கிறேன் or செயல் மறந்து பேசுகிறேன். LOL. So the poetry under discussion is just half baked/second rate. However reputed the poet may be.

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

Perceptions differ! I interpret 'செயல் மறந்து வாழ்த்துகிறேன்' as 'I praise, forgetting all other activities'!

Thanks a lot for the nice discussion. :)

Anyway, ManOnmaNeeyam appeared only in 1891 and not in Sangam period.

Dear RRji,

That is okay. You have your perception and rights.

But it appears in place of செயல் மறந்து the poet could have chosen மனம் மகிழ்ந்து sacrificing only the requirement of மோனை. That would have been only a minor sacrifice considering the retention of correct meaning and flow of content. The அசை, சீர் and other requirements of grammar would have been unaffected. Just my perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back