• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Nice knowing you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Raghy Ji,

Let me join Professor Nara Ji in saying that we will miss your voice, especially me. We need a humanist's voice with love, that is yours.

Both some 'orthodox' in this Forum and some 'progressives' here both sometimes approved and disapproved your posts. That means that you are not an ideologue.

I know you left at a time there were tensions here as I could not moderate due to health reasons. Now I am back. I would like you to take this in to consideration and I request you to come back and post. Even your last post with the Youtube songs that brought back sweet memories for me, shows that you always contribute.

Regards,
KRS

A dog made me to post again........

Sri.KRS said -

I know you left at a time there were tensions here as I could not moderate due to health reasons. Now I am back. I would like you to take this in to consideration and I request you to come back and post.
Sri.KRS Sir,

Greetings. I owe you a detailed reply for posting my 'last post' in this forum. It was due to frustration, not due to something happened to me; but due to something 'not happening' in this forum.

But then again, like Sri.Kunjuppu always say, one can't make things happen by shutting up or by leaving from a conversation; but one has to stay to talk one's point of view until one's face becomes blue and beyond.:blabla:

.......- செவ்வி அருமையும் பாரார் அவமதிப்பும் கொள்ளார்
கருமமே கண்ணாயினார். - நீதிநெறி விளக்கம்

I think, I should follow that advice.

But anyway, why I am posting now?....

Well, I have to share this with the members........

Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble - Seven News Queensland

(By the way , UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town).

(The detailed reply to Sri.KRS may come later)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sri.KRS said -

Sri.KRS Sir,

Greetings. I owe you a detailed reply for posting my 'last post' in this forum. It was due to frustration, not due to something happened to me; but due to something 'not happening' in this forum.

But then again, like Sri.Kunjuppu always say, one can't make things happen by shutting up or by leaving from a conversation; but one has to stay to talk one's point of view until one's face becomes blue and beyond.:blabla:

.......- செவ்வி அருமையும் பாரார் அவமதிப்பும் கொள்ளார்
கருமமே கண்ணாயினார். - நீதிநெறி விளக்கம்

I think, I should follow that advice.

But anyway, why I am posting now?....

Well, I have to share this with the members........

Dog in Japan stays by the side of its ailing friend in the rubble - Seven News Queensland

(By the way , UPDATE: CNN and the UK Telegraph have both reported that the dogs have been rescued since the footage aired, and are both receiving veterinary care; the more seriously wounded dog is at a clinic in the city of Mito, while the protective spaniel-type dog is receiving care at a shelter in the same town).

(The detailed reply to Sri.KRS may come later)

Cheers!

Marvellous human beings, those dogs are!

Why I posted my 'last post'......(It is not the 'last' anymore, anyway...

Sri, KRS Sir,

Greetings. As I mentioned earlier, I am explaining here the reasons for submitting my 'last post', which is not the last anymore. Firstly, I am happy to see you taking part regularly in the forum. I sincerely wish you all the very best.

My reasons -

1. I did not get angry or get hurt in the forum. Sometimes, the conversations becames a bit more hotter than usual; owing to the subject discussed, it is quite understandable. If one cares to notice, one would have noticed that I did not react in kind. No, I am not saying this to talk highly of me, but far from it; I see getting a rather forceful reaction for a simple conversation shows my misgivings in my own communication skills. I only took it that way. (Sri.Sangom took the extra initiative to contact me in my e-mail Id; he wanted to know the reasons for the way I behaved. I explained him how I did not accuse anyone at anytime; how my conversation, although pointed, was nothing out of the ordinary. After going through my explanations, Sri.Sangom accepted that I had a point. I am sure, he would have felt, I should have explained them in the forum. I did not explain because, I did not want to start a bigger fight. I am more than happy to explain my points to you or to any interested members; but, not in the open forum).

How ever, I was not too happy to see the lack of reactions from this forum. Actually, as of today, I am not happy. But, over the period, I realised....a.people may not react at all; b. May not show their reactions; c. may not give a hoot anyway. Well, I react. I react as much as possible in a positive way. So, that settles it. As a moderator, there is nothing expected of you as far as I am concerned; if there is a concern from anyone else, I am more than happy to address, preferably in PM or in public.

2. In this forum, one should have the right to take part and explain their belief .....and be able to walk away in one piece. For example, if I believe in the divinity of 'Sky Bunny', I believe 'Sky Bunny' created the earth, all the life forms and the cosmos, I should be able to basque in such romantic belief .....until I realise the truth on my own steam, at my own pace. But that does not happen here. Including myself, one or many of us converge on a newcomer. When I stepped back and noticed it, it made me feel ashamed. I could explain (a+b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b+ 3ab^2+b^3, even if I am drunk or half-asleep; because, I learnent it well; but if I crowd someone, if I try to drive that derivation in someone's head when someone is not ready, someone is likely to a.runaway from me, b. someone is likely to run away even altogether from algebra.

My point is, it is absolutely okay to have romantic beliefs. Why not? it does not hurt anyone. If it hurts, then it can be addressed.

3. It is very nice to see so many progressive thinking persons in this forum. Almost, all the members taking part in discussions are progressive minded. Mind you, anyone not interested in progressive thoughts will not take part in any of these discussions; they would stay away from any discussions, keep their heads buried in the sand.

My question is, why there should be so much fight, arguments between members? Can't you guys see, an orthodox person would see this fight as 'the fight between so-called progressive minds'? Such a person would not hesitate to brand the whole lot as 'un-cultured'. That is why I feel depressed when I read all these arguments and debates. What is the point? It is only the degree of the progression that differs amoung the members.....it is a pity, they can't even see that.

By the way, speaking about progression, this forum is not progressed much...not as much as 10 percent of progression exhibited by my (late) grand mother or my mother. No, I mean literally. I am more than happy to prove it too (not the 10 percent though... but can show the huge difference in progression taking into considerations of the time period, their education, their feminine situation....). So, it is not a bad idea to tone down the volumes of our arguments....by a very long way.

4. This forum is called 'Tamil Brahmins Forum'. What is the contribution to the Tamil Brahmin community from this forum? I know, most members would be involved many social services either on their own accord or through other avenues; what are the efforts from this forum? It is all very well to talk ill about the brahmins of the past. But the poor and needy of the brahmins of the presents are just that....poor and needy. If we can't see them as any other human being, if we can't help them as a community, what is the point of this gathering?

I know this forum has a huge data base for music, sastras, prayers, songs, discussions.... But, if I am struggling for my next square meal, if I can't pay my school fees due to poverty, if I can't buy books since I seldom see 500 Rupee currency......pray tell me, how am I going to afford to browse all these vast information; or how am I going to continue to follow the 'progressive minded' discussions everyday?

When I lamented about lack of contribution, I meant this kind of contribution, in real sense to the real people in the community. I was upset I could not do it from this forum. Sri.Praveen addressed this concern; but it does not have a solution.

I humbly request Sri.Silverfox to address this (point #4 ) either in the forum or in my PM please.

I was frustrated with all the above concerns. I sent two PMs to Sri.Praveen. On the hindsight, those PMs could have been much nicer. I even suggested to split the forum in two; one forum frequented by 'progressive minds' and the other forum 'free of progressive- minds'..(No, I am lying. I actually used one member's name in that suggestion. No prize for guessing that member's name though. I wanted everyone be able to voice their opinions, no matter how romantically absurd it may be; at the same time, I did not like to see the progressive-minded person ( that particular member in that instance, restricted in anyway).

So, Sri.KRS Sir, after going through so much frustrations, I did not know how to express my concerns. (I know, my communication skills are not that great anyway). So, I thought it would not make sense to stay somewhere, where I don't enjoy it so much.

I don't enjoy the 'discussions' (or more like argulents/debates) because, the members involved all are progressive minded; but, not able to agree on few simple things. Funny though, most of the 'hot topics' discussed are not even curent....dead and buried long back!

Can you kindly bring the forum back to the present times, please? Thank you.

I have outlined some of the concerns that I could remember now. If there is anything more to add, I will add more to the long post, anyway.

I humbly request the members to comment on the concerns raised in my long post, please. I look forward to read Sri.KRS's and Sri.Silverfox's feedback, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Raghyji,

Firstly, i did receive your private messages, but i have been quite busy in the recent few weeks hence have not had a chance to reply to you. My interactions with other members have also reduced since the open letter.

Anyways i have just read your above post and i just want to selectively reply to a few lines. (not in any particular order)

My question is, why there should be so much fight, arguments between members?
I do have the same question. If you find an answer, please let me know about it too. It pains to see so many members argue/fight for even the silliest of reasons. Silly, in my opinion as a 30 something liberal person in this world.

The Free Dictionary defines Liberal as
a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

This forum is called 'Tamil Brahmins Forum'. What is the contribution to the Tamil Brahmin community from this forum? what are the efforts from this forum? It is all very well to talk ill about the brahmins of the past. But the poor and needy of the brahmins of the presents are just that....poor and needy. If we can't see them as any other human being, if we can't help them as a community, what is the point of this gathering?
I know this forum has a huge data base for music, sastras, prayers, songs, discussions.... But, if I am struggling for my next square meal, if I can't pay my school fees due to poverty, if I can't buy books since I seldom see 500 Rupee currency......pray tell me, how am I going to afford to browse all these vast information; or how am I going to continue to follow the 'progressive minded' discussions everyday?
When I lamented about lack of contribution, I meant this kind of contribution, in real sense to the real people in the community. I was upset I could not do it from this forum.
If i can copy/paste from this thread
"Our aim is simple… we want to provide a stage for Tamil Brahmins scattered across the globe to interact, network and interface with one another."

Not every thing that is started need to have tangible/quantative purpose. When this website was started, the primary aim was to make people aware of the community's rich heritage. Not that people did not know about it already, i wanted it to be an easier reference point for anyone anywhere.

let me be very honest.

As i mentioned in the open letter, i am not some rich guy with loads of money nor i have the wealth of my forefathers to bank upon. Just like so many others, i need to feed my family for which i need to work. I cannot do charity at the expense of my family. Nor i can afford to be like that.

As you very well know, for a brief period (roughly 9 months to a year) this forum was associated with a few individuals to do exactly what you are talking about. But we could not get along for reasons very well known to you. I am sure when you talk to both sides, you will hear 2 diff versions. I am not worried which version you go with. The fact is i decided to come out of it as i did not want to just nod my head for everything that went against my principles.

Rather than asking what this forum/website is doing to the community, why dont a few of you get together and do something? As i have said elsewhere in another thread, i have provided a platform. How this platform is going to be used is in the hands of the members here.

If you are expecting Praveen to rise up, be counted and do something for the community, then i guess that will have to wait for sometime. Only when i am sure that my immediate family is secure, i can think about someone else.

From my limited knowledge, the others who have done something and are doing something (i.e. the other group in specific) are people who are established both personally and financially or retired from top positions. Hence they can afford to do something without having to worry about much.

I am not. I am still very young with a lot to learn and lots more to do. Simply put, if i start worrying about the community that you speak of, who will worry about my family?

Just like so many others (who wanted me to do something) i have met and interacted in the last 4-5 years i can "donate" to a few charity, put my hands up and say i have done my bit for the community.

Sri.Praveen,

Greetings. I appreciate your prompt reply. You have done enough for the community, already. The platform you have provided is a huge contribution enough; considering your age and the area of your expertise, it is fitting too.

Rather than asking what this forum/website is doing to the community, why dont a few of you get together and do something? As i have said elsewhere in another thread, i have provided a platform. How this platform is going to be used is in the hands of the members here.

When I ask 'what this forum has done', I don't mean to ask the question to the web page; I am asking the question to the forum. I am asking the question to the forum of members gathered under the name 'tamil brahmins'; This question is applicable to the non-brahmin members gathered here too. This question applies to each and every member gathered in this forum.

There is a platform provided by the site admin; it is up to the members to do something for the community. Whether we like it or not, we are part of the community...even if we live overseas, still we are...my daughter is not even born in India, still identifies herself with Indian heritage and Indian culture.

It is not up to the admin or up to Sri.Praveen to make something happen.....the members can and should take the initiation to do something through the forum. One may be already involved in many charity activities; but when a charity activity happens through the forum, the snow ball effect is huge. Once I asked this same question in a Bangladeshi forum....ended up involving big time relief work on three different occassions...in the third instance, it was collection to refurbish a damaged school (damaged due to flood and hurricane)...We just know what we can achieve.

(By the way, Sri.Praveen, I am not getting into any kind of politics. I am just interested in helping others. Period).

It takes some of the retired getlemen/ladies to provide some kind of guidance, encouragement and identifying needy person/persons. I live in Australia; I have no idea about anything on the ground level in any of the Tamil Nadu cities. We have the net work...why not put it for charitable functions? Granted, some of the members may like to expand their preferences to any poor or needy person not restricted to Tamil Brahmins...so be it.. personally, I welcome such ideas.

14 hours after submitting, post #29 attracted just one response! I humbly request the seniors (by age, by wisdom) to provide their comments, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Dear Shri Raghy,

It is my feeling, even conviction, that most of the members - the silent majority as well as the voluble minority - must be doing "something" for the Brahman community because, I find that around me here also, there are many requests for donations to different causes, both social and religious in which Brahmans are either the major or sole beneficiaries. And when such requests come we do contribute our mite.

This forum, therefore, need not be judged purely on the basis of whether it is doing some monetary help for Tabras. It may be better to view it as a forum to interact and know the views of different cross-sections of members.

Sri. Raghy,

About conflicts in this forum I am in agreement with you. Please see my post

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/genera...impses-south-indian-history-60.html#post73984

About doing service to Tamil Brahmins in real life, there are limitations. I remember Silver Fox and others had tried their best to float a trust for helping the community. Some how it did not fructify.

Then some of the members had ideas about helping the community. Praveen was also very enthusiastic towards their efforts and helped them. Now that group has its own forum where they are concentrating on their real life activity. Praveen has explained that in his post.

You remember we used to get a number of messages in this forum for financial help. Many of them were helped. Now that has decreased. No one knows why.

As I said in one of my posts, I know all all about leaving the forum. I have done it often.

raghy,

there are other avenues for helping the community.the kerala iyers trust, helps folks almost immediately. there is ano admin charge and of late there too requests for help is becoming less and less.

Kerala Iyers Trust |

Dear Sri Raghy Ji,

I must have read your post now about 10 times. I hear an anguished voice, but perhaps, I am too dense to grasp the full meaning of what you are saying. I was thinking about a proper response, but even now, I am posting this without a sure knowledge of what you are expecting.

Anyways, let me say my part and let the chips fall where they may.

1. I think this Forum's charter is to bring our community together at one place on this platform. I am essentially repeating what others have said above. Nothing new here.

2. The other Forum Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji mentioned and you are part of was started first under this Forum's auspices. The trust was formed with members from here. So, this Forum has played a major role in doing that. That itself was possible because different members came together here and formed alliances to start that.

3. Nothing prevents anyone with good intentions to use the good offices of this Forum to do good. Starting from getting free publicity for a good cause to asking for and getting voluntary help is provided through this Forum.

4. Like you, I live abroad. I do provide assistance to the community, in my own way. I am very picky about who I will give any resources to, because I want maximum effect for each $. I also assist other communities/peoples, outside of our Tamil Brahmin community, with my limited resources. I am sure there are lots of us in this Forum who provide assistance silently. Personally, I want to donate anonymously. I do not want to splash my name on a tube light that you put up in a temple, for example, as many do to advertise themselves.

5. As I have said, you have a unique voice - you are a complete humanist. By your posts here, you have the chance to impart that outlook to many of our youngsters here - in my opinion that itself is a great service.

Pardon me if I have not completely answered you. Within my limited capacity, I am imparting what I know.

Namaskarams,
KRS

Dear Shri Raghy,

It is my feeling, even conviction, that most of the members - the silent majority as well as the voluble minority - must be doing "something" for the Brahman community because, I find that around me here also, there are many requests for donations to different causes, both social and religious in which Brahmans are either the major or sole beneficiaries. And when such requests come we do contribute our mite.

This forum, therefore, need not be judged purely on the basis of whether it is doing some monetary help for Tabras. It may be better to view it as a forum to interact and know the views of different cross-sections of members.

Sri.Sangom Sir,

greetings. Thanks for your input. Firstly, this forum or this forum of members are not judged in anyway. Yes, this is a forum for interactions. I quite agree with that. Also, I wish to add, this forum affects our life more than we care to admit. We are more attached to this forum than we care to admit. I am quite aware, most of the members taking part in this forum, since they are progressive minded, would be involved in some kind of a social service. But as a forum, as a group, we have not done anything yet.

valuable contributions need not be monetary, always. There can be more contributions by the way of psychological support, family crisis management tips, an elderly, wise member actually involving in resolving a sticky situation, guidance in religious or sastriya matters.....the list goes on.

When it comes to monetary assistances, receipents need not be restricted to Tamil Brahmins....can be anyone in need.

Tamil Brahmin community is just a part of the whole fabric called Tamil Community. Every part is as pretty as the other part. It is the obligation of the elders to keep it that way.

I did not post my long message for petty contributions. There is much more to it than petty monetary contributions.

I am very glad, there is a response from you. Thank you. Kindly allow me to continue this post later, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sri.Nachinarkiniyan Sir said -

......About doing service to Tamil Brahmins in real life, there are limitations....

Sri.Nachinarkiniyan sir,

Grettings. When it comes to service to the community, there can be no limitations.....no limitations as in the receipents, no limitations as in the value of the service. I am very glad to see your response. Moral support from you, Sri.Sangom and many more senior members in this forum are very valuable to the community. Senior members would provide valuable support to the community by offering directions and counselling in PMs.

Kindly allow me to get back to you at a later date, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Sri.Kunjuppu said -

raghy,

there are other avenues for helping the community.

Sri Kunjuppu Sir, Greetings. Sure, there are other avenues to help the community. No, I just don't mean monetary help alone. I do have something more than that in mind. I can't just write it in a short message. I have to think more clearly and formulate the basic idea. Kindly bear with me until then, please. I am very happy to see your response. Thanks.

Cheers!

Sri.KRS Sir,

Greetings. Thanks for your inputs. I like to address one of the points mentioned by you for now. I like to get that out of the way before discussing the other points. (May not be tonight. I am getting into the small hours).

2. The other Forum Sri Nacchinarkiniyan Ji mentioned and you are part of was started first under this Forum's auspices. The trust was formed with members from here. So, this Forum has played a major role in doing that. That itself was possible because different members came together here and formed alliances to start that.

I have respect for everyone who could make things happen. I am fond of 'this forum' and 'the other forum'. I support both the forums. I see community services in both places; I respect both the places and pledge support to both the places. according to me, when I see community services in other places too, I think 'more the better!'. My involvements are no secret...I use my original name everywhere. (Yes, Raghy is the short form of my original name. I am known as Raghy everywhere. People call me by that name in my daily life).

Kindly allow me to address your responses properly in a detailed message, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Dear Sri Raghy Ji,

Just to make sure, I have no issues or problems in being a member anywhere. I just mentioned the other place to say that this Forum acted as a spring board.

As you say, 'more the better'.

Regards,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back