• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

New Thread: "Motivational/Inspirational Articles"

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1][FONT=&quot]It is better to earn a bad name and live a good life…[/FONT][/h] [h=1][FONT=&quot]"If you do 100 things in life, do 80 things for the sake of the world, for the sake of the happiness of your family, for the sake of your parents’ gratification, for the sake of social fulfillment and for the sake of your environment. Do at least 20 things in life for your own sake. Put all the aspects of your life that are of consequence, that can have an effect on your life, into this 20 – like the education you want to pursue, the career you are passionate about, the marriage you wish to settle into, the city you choose to live in. In all these consequential aspects of life, don’t give in to the confines of social definition. Write your own definition of life. Create your own checklist.[/FONT][/h] [FONT=&quot]Don’t live by a social script. Write your own script. In the other 80 inconsequential aspects of life, go with the world, by the world. If even after you do 80 things for the sake of the world and only 20 things for your own sake, the world still calls you selfish – so be it. It appears that you live in an unreasonable world. If in spite of your doing 80 things for them they are still not satisfied, then nothing is anyhow going to satisfy them. At least, satisfy yourself by doing those 20 things on your terms.” ….[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]“Let me end where I began – It is better to earn a bad name and live a good life, than to earn a good name and live a bad life.”[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Author: Unknown[/FONT]

[h=1]THE OBSTACLE IN OUR PATH[/h] [h=1] [/h] In ancient times, a king had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king's wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it.
Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the big stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. On approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. As the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many others never understand.

Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve one's condition.

Hare and tortoise! A new version....!!!!!

A nice version of the famous Hare and Tortoise story !!

This is the version of the story that we've all grown up with:
Once upon a time a tortoise and a hare had an argument about who was faster. They decided to settle the argument with a race. They agreed on a route and started off the race. The hare shot ahead and ran briskly for some time. Then seeing that he was far ahead of the tortoise, he thought he'd sit under a tree for some time and relax before continuing the race. He sat under the tree and soon fell asleep. The tortoise plodding on overtook him and soon finished the race, emerging as the undisputed champ. The hare woke up and realised that he'd lost the race. The moral of the story is that slow and steady wins the race.

But the interesting version of this story. It continues like this.....

The hare was disappointed at losing the race and he did some soul-searching. He realised that he'd lost the race only because he had been overconfident, careless and lax. If he had not taken things for granted, there's no way the tortoise could have beaten him. So he challenged the tortoise to another race. The tortoise agreed. This time, the hare went all out and ran without stopping from start to finish. He won by several miles.
The moral of the story?
Fast and consistent will always beat the slow and steady. If you have two people in your organisation, one slow, methodical and reliable, and the other fast and still reliable at what he does, the fast and reliable will consistently climb the organisational ladder faster than the slow, methodical chap.

It's good to be slow and steady; but it's better to be fast and reliable.

But the story doesn't end here. The tortoise did some thinking this time, and realised that there's no way he can beat the hare in a race the way it was currently formatted. He thought for a while, and then challenged the hare to another race, but on a slightly different route.
The hare agreed. They started off. In keeping with his self-made commitment to be consistently fast, the hare took off and ran at top speed until he came to a broad river. The finishing line was a couple of kilometres on the other side of the river.

The hare sat there wondering what to do. In the meantime the tortoise trundled along, got into the river, swam to the opposite bank, continued walking and finished the race.
The moral of the story?

First identify your core competency and then change the playing field to suit your core competency.

Working to your strengths will not only get you noticed, but will also create opportunities for growth and advancement.
The story still hasn't ended ......
The hare and the tortoise, by this time, had become pretty good friends and they did some thinking together. Both realised that the last race could have been run much better. So they decided to do the last race again, but to run as a team this time.
They started off, and this time the hare carried the tortoise till the riverbank. There, the tortoise took over and swam across with the hare on his back. On the opposite bank, the hare again carried the tortoise and they reached the finishing line together. They both felt a greater sense of satisfaction than they'd felt earlier.

The moral of the story ?

It's good to be individually brilliant and to have strong core competencies; but unless you're able to work in a team and harness each other's core competencies, you'll always perform below par because there will always be situations at which you'll do poorly and someone else does well.

Teamwork is mainly about situational leadership, letting the person with the relevant core competency for a situation take leadership.
There are more lessons to be learnt from this story.

Note that neither the hare nor the tortoise gave up after failures. The hare decided to work harder and put in more effort after his failure.
The tortoise changed his strategy because he was already working as hard as he could. In life, when faced with failure, sometimes it is appropriate to work harder and put in more effort. Sometimes it is appropriate to change strategy and try something different. And sometimes it is appropriate to do both.
The hare and the tortoise also learnt another vital lesson. When we stop competing against a rival and instead start competing
against the situation, we perform far better.

Bridges to build

Once upon a time two brothers who lived on adjoining farms fell into conflict. It was the first serious rift in 40 years of farming side by side, sharing machinery, and trading labor and goods as needed without a hitch. Then the long collaboration fell apart. It began with a small misunderstanding and it grew into a major difference, and finally it exploded into an exchange of bitter words followed by weeks of silence.

One morning there was a knock on John's door. He opened it to find a man with a carpenter's toolbox. "I'm looking for a few days work" he said.
"Perhaps you would have a few small jobs here and there. Could I help you?"

"Yes," said the older brother. "I do have a job for you. Look across the creek at that farm. That's my neighbor, in fact, it's my younger brother.
Last week there was a meadow between us and he took his bulldozer to the river level and

now there is a creek between us. Well, he may have done this to spite me, but I'll go him one better. See that pile of lumber curing by the barn? I want you to build me a fence -- an 8-foot fence -- so I won't need to see his place anymore. Cool him down, anyhow."

The carpenter said, "I think I understand the situation. Show me the nails and the post-hole digger and I'll be able to do a job that pleases you."

The older brother had to go to town for supplies, so he helped the carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off for the day.

The carpenter worked hard all that day measuring, sawing, nailing. About sunset when the farmer returned, the carpenter had just finished his job.

The farmer's eyes opened wide, his jaw dropped. There was no fence there at all. It was a bridge -- a bridge stretching from one side of the creek to the other! A fine piece of work -- handrails and all -- and the neighbor, his younger brother, was coming across, his hand outstretched.

"You are quite a fellow to build this bridge after all I've said and done."

The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge, and then they met in the middle, taking each other's hand. They turned to see the carpenter hoist his toolbox on his shoulder. "No, wait! Stay a few days. I've a lot of other projects for you," said the older brother.

"I'd love to stay on," the carpenter said, "but, I have many more bridges to build."

[FONT=&quot]GOD'S Rosebud

A new minister was walking with an older,
more seasoned minister in the garden one day.

Feeling a bit insecure about what God had for him to do, he was asking the older preacher for some advice. The older preacher walked up to a rosebush and handed the young preacher a rosebud and told him to open it without tearing off any petals.

The young preacher looked in disbelief at the older preacher. He was trying to figure out what a rosebud could possibly have to do with his wanting to know the will of God for his life and ministry.

But because of his great respect for the older preacher, he proceeded to try to unfold the rose,
while keeping every petal intact..
It wasn't long before he realized how impossible this was to do.

Noticing the younger preacher's inability to unfold the rosebud without tearing it, the older preacher began to recite the following poem...

It is only a tiny rosebud,
a flower of God's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
with these clumsy hands of mine.

The secret of unfolding flowers
is not known to such as I..
GOD opens this flower so easily,
but in my hands they die.

If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
this flower of God's design,
then how can I have the wisdom
to unfold this life of mine?

So I'll trust in God for leading
each moment of my day.
I will look to God for guidance
in each step of the way.

The path that lies before me,
only my Lord knows.
I'll trust God to unfold the moments,
just as He unfolds the rose. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[h=4]A glass of milk..
[/h] [h=4]One day, a poor boy who was selling goods from door to door to pay his school fee. He was feeling very hungry and thirsty but he had only one coin left with him. He decided he would ask for a glass of water at the next house. When he knocked at the next door, a lovely young woman opened the door. When he asked for a glass of water, the lady thought he looked hungry so she brought him a large glass of milk. He drank it slowly and thanked the lady from the bottom of his heart for her kindness. [/h] Year's later that young woman became critically ill. She was admitted to a big city hospital. Dr. Howard Kelly was called in for the consultation. When he heard the name of the town she came from, he rose immediately and went down to her room. He recognized her at once. He went back to the consultation room determined to do his best to save her life. From that day he gave special attention to the case. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
After a long struggle, she recovered from that deadly disease, the battle was won. Dr. Kelly requested the billing office to pass the final bill to him for approval. He looked at it, and wrote something on the edge and the bill was sent to her room. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
She feared to open it, for she was sure it would take the rest of her life to pay for it all. But finally when she looked at the bill something caught her attention on the side of the bill. She began to read the following words: [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
"Paid full in advance with one glass of milk"
Signed, Dr. Howard Kelly.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Tears of joy rolled down her eyes as she prayed and as her happy heart prayed: "Thank You, God, that Your love has spread abroad through human hearts and hands.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Barber and the King

The barber was giving a haircut to the king and as usually all barbers do, entered into a conversation with his master.

He told the King that he is so close to the King yet the king's minister is being paid a very much higher salary. Barber felt that to be rather unfair and wanted an explanation.

King said "OK, I will give you a task which I would normally give the minister, for you to perform so that I could judge"

King told the barber” I understand that a ship has arrived in the harbor please brief me about it"

Barber ran to the harbor and came back and told the King Yes, Sir. There is a Ship!

King: When has it arrived?

Barber again ran to the harbor and returned to tell that the ship has arrived 2 days ago.

Barber had to run to the harbor several times to the harbor till the king got the required information such as from where the ship has come? What the ship has brought?, Who had come, What they would take back, when? At what Price etc, the Barber was extremely tired after making so many trips.

At this stage the King called his minister in the presence of his barber and gave him the same task. Minister made just one trip , came back and gave a report which contained all the information, the king had wanted to know.

King then told the barber "This should explain why the minister is paid a higher salary!!

Moral of the Story -

Don’t compare yourself with others. Everyone has their own strengths and weakness. Try to work on your strengths and not weaknesses.

Chanakya Neeti
person should not be too honest. Straight trees are cut first and Honest people are screwed first."

"Even if a snake is not poisonous, It should pretend to be venomous."

"The biggest guru-mantra is: Never share your secrets with anybody! It will destroy you."

"There is some self-interest behind every friendship. There is no Friendship without self-interests. This is a bitter truth."

"Before you start some work, always ask yourself three questions - Why am I doing it ? What the results might be ? and Will I be successful ? Only when you think deeply And find satisfactory answers to these questions, go ahead."

"As soon as the fear approaches near, attack and destroy it."

"Once you start a working on something, Don't be afraid of failure and Don't abandon it. People who work sincerely are the happiest."

"The fragrance of flowers spreads Only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all direction."

"A man is great by deeds, not by birth."

"Treat your kid like a darling for the first five years. For the next five years, scold them. By the time they turn sixteen, treat them like a friend. Your grown up children are your best friends."

"Books are as useful to a stupid person As a mirror is useful to a blind person."

"Education is the best friend. An educated person is respected everywhere. Education beats the beauty and the youth."

Chanakya quotes (Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC 75 BC)

TRIPLE FILTER TEST

One day an acquaintance came to meet Chanakya and said to him excitedly ," do you know what I just heard about your friend ?"

" Just wait a while", Chanakya replied." Before you tell me anything I would like you to go through a little test which I call the triple filter test".

" What’s that?" asked the acquaintance.

" I will tell you", Chanakya said." Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you are going to say. That is why I call it the Triple filter test. The first filter is ‘Truth.’ Are you sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No", the man said." Actually, I just heard about it."

"All right", said Chanakya." So you don’t really know if it is true or not. Now lets us try the second Filter, the filter of ‘Goodness’. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"

"No, on the contrary.."

"So", Chanakya continued," You wanted to tell me something bad about him but you are not certain it is true. You may still pass the test because there is one filter left; the filter of ‘Usefulness’. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really..."

"Well", Continued Chanakya," If you want to tell me what may not be true and is neither good nor useful, why tell it to me at all?"

MORAL OF THE STORY: He who repeats the ill he hears of another is the true slanderer

think.jpg
Think Higher......!!!!

A glass of milk..

One day, a poor boy who was selling goods from door to door to pay his school fee. He was feeling very hungry and thirsty but he had only one coin left with him. He decided he would ask for a glass of water at the next house. When he knocked at the next door, a lovely young woman opened the door. When he asked for a glass of water, the lady thought he looked hungry so she brought him a large glass of milk. He drank it slowly and thanked the lady from the bottom of his heart for her kindness.

Year's later that young woman became critically ill. She was admitted to a big city hospital. Dr. Howard Kelly was called in for the consultation. When he heard the name of the town she came from, he rose immediately and went down to her room. He recognized her at once. He went back to the consultation room determined to do his best to save her life. From that day he gave special attention to the case.
After a long struggle, she recovered from that deadly disease, the battle was won. Dr. Kelly requested the billing office to pass the final bill to him for approval. He looked at it, and wrote something on the edge and the bill was sent to her room.
She feared to open it, for she was sure it would take the rest of her life to pay for it all. But finally when she looked at the bill something caught her attention on the side of the bill. She began to read the following words:
"Paid full in advance with one glass of milk"
Signed, Dr. Howard Kelly.

Tears of joy rolled down her eyes as she prayed and as her happy heart prayed: "Thank You, God, that Your love has spread abroad through human hearts and hands.

Hi Anandi,

I hope you know that this is a true story of Dr. Howard Kelly (1858-1943) who was a distinguished physician and was one of the four founding doctors of Johns Hopkins, the first medical research university in the U.S. and arguably one of the finest hospitals anywhere.

A man came out of his home to admire his new truck.

To his puzzlement, his three-year-old son was happily hammering dents into the shiny paint of the truck.

The man ran to his son, knocked him away, hammered the little boy's hands into pulp as punishment.

When the father calmed down, he rushed his son to the hospital. Although the doctor tried desperately to save the crushed bones, he finally had to amputate the fingers from both the boy's hands.

When the boy woke up from the surgery & saw his bandaged stubs, he innocently said, "Daddy, I'm sorry about your truck." Then he asked, "but when are my fingers going to grow back?"
The father went home & committed suicide.

Think about this story the next time someone steps on your feet or u wish to take revenge. Think first before u lose your patience with someone u love. Trucks can be repaired. Broken bones & hurt feelings often can't.

Too often we fail to recognise the difference between the person and the performance. We forget that forgiveness is greater than revenge.

People make mistakes. We are allowed to make mistakes. But the actions we take while in a rage will haunt us forever. Pause and ponder. Think before you act. Be patient. Forgive & forget. Love one and all.

Nice one. Got this on mail.

Some time ago I received a call from a colleague who asked if I would be the referee on the grading of an examination question. He was about to give a student a zero for his answer to a physics question, while the student claimed he should receive a perfect score and would if the system were not set up against the student: The instructor and the student agreed to submit this to an impartial arbiter, and I was selected.

I went to my colleague's office and read the examination question: "Show how it is possible to determine the height of a tall building with the aid of a barometer." The student had answered: "Take a barometer to the top of the building, attach a long rope to it, lower the barometer to the street and then bring it up, measuring the length of the rope. The length of the rope is the height of the building."

I pointed out that the student really had a strong case for full credit since he had answered the question completely and correctly. On the other hand, if full credit was given, it could well contribute to a high grade for the student in his physics course. A high grade is supposed to certify competence in physics, but the answer did not confirm this. I suggested that the student have another try at answering the question I was not surprised that my colleague agreed, but I was surprised that the student did.

I gave the student six minutes to answer the question with the warning that the answer should show some knowledge of physics. At the end of five minutes, he had not written anything. I asked if he wished to give up, but he said no. He had many answers to this problem; he was just thinking of the best one. I excused myself for interrupting him and asked him to please go on. In the next minute he dashed off his answer which read: "Take the barometer to the top of the building and lean over the edge of the roof. Drop that barometer, timing its fall with a stopwatch. Then using the formula S = ½at², calculate the height of the building.

At this point I asked my colleague if he would give up. He conceded, and I gave the student almost full credit.

In leaving my colleague's office, I recalled that the student had said he had many other answers to the problem, so I asked him what they were. "Oh yes," said the student. "There are a great many ways of getting the height of a tall building with a barometer. For example, you could take the barometer out on a sunny day and measure the height of the barometer and the length of its shadow, and the length of the shadow of the building and by the use of a simple proportion, determine the height of the building."

"Fine," I asked. "And the others?"

"Yes," said the student. "There is a very basic measurement method that you will like. In this method you take the barometer and begin to walk up the stairs. As you climb the stairs, you mark off the length of the barometer along the wall. You then count the number of marks, and this will give you the height of the building in barometer units. A very direct method."

"Of course, if you want a more sophisticated method, you can tie the barometer to the end of a string, swing it as a pendulum, and determine the value of 'g' at the street level and at the top of the building. From the difference of the two values of `g' the height of the building can be calculated."

Finally, he concluded, there are many other ways of solving the problem. "Probably the best," he said, "is to take the barometer to the basement and knock on the superintendent's door. When the superintendent answers, you speak to him as follows: "Mr. Superintendent, here I have a fine barometer. If you tell me the height of this building, I will give you this barometer."

At this point I asked the student if he really did know the conventional answer to this question. He admitted that he did, said that he was fed up with high school and college instructors trying to teach him how to think, using the "scientific method," and to explore the deep inner logic of the subject in a pedantic way

There was a man who made a living selling balloons at a fair. He had all colors of balloons, including red, yellow, blue, and green. Whenever business was slow, he would release a helium-filled balloon into the air and when the children saw it go up, they all wanted to buy one. They would come up to him, buy a balloon, and his sales would go up again.

He continued this process all day. One day, he felt someone tugging at his jacket. He turned around and saw a little boy who asked, "If you release a black balloon, would that also fly?" Moved by the boy's concern, the man replied with empathy, "Son, it is not the color of the balloon, it is what is inside that makes it go up."

The same thing applies to our lives. It is what is inside that count. The thing inside of us that makes us go up is our attitude.

William James of Harvard University said, "The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind."

A touching story from a father.....

My wife called, 'How long will you be with that newspaper? Will you come here and make your darling daughter eat her food?'

I tossed the paper away and rushed to the scene. My only daughter Sindu looked frightened.

Tears were welling up in her eyes. In front of her was a bowl filled to its brim with Curd Rice. Sindu is a nice child, quite intelligent for her age. She has just turned eight. She particularly detested Curd Rice. My mother and my wife are orthodox, and believe firmly in the 'cooling effects' of Curd Rice! I cleared my throat, and picked up the bowl.

'Sindu, darling,why don't you take a few mouthful of this Curd Rice? Just for Dad's sake, dear.

Sindu softened a bit, and wiped her tears with the back of her hands.

'OK, Dad. I will eat - not just a few mouthfuls, but the whole lot of this.

But, you should...' Sindu hesitated. 'Dad, if I eat this entire curd Rice, will you give me whatever I ask for?'....

Oh sure, darling'.... 'Promise?'......... 'Promise'.

I covered the pink soft hand extended by my daughter with mine, and clinched the deal.

'Ask Mom also to give a similar promise', my daughter insisted.

My wife put her hand on Sindu's, muttering 'Promise'. Now I became a bit anxious.

'Sindu dear, you shouldn't insist on getting a computer or any such expensive items. Dad does not have that kind of money right now. OK?'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything expensive'.

Slowly and painfully, she finished eating the whole quantity.

I was silently angry with my wife and my mother for forcing my child eat something that she detested. After the ordeal was through, Sindu came to me with her eyes wide with expectation. All our attention was on her.

'Dad, I want to have my head shaved off, this Sunday!' was her demand.

'Atrocious!' shouted my wife, 'A girl child having her head shaved off? Impossible!' 'Never in our family!' my mother rasped.

'She has been watching too much of television. Our culture is getting totally spoiled with these TV programs!'

Sindu darling, why don't you ask for something else? We will be sad seeing you with a clean-shaven head.'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything else', Sindu said with finality.

'Please, Sindu, why don't you try to understand our feelings?'

I tried to plead with her.

'Dad, you saw how difficult it was for me to eat that Curd Rice'.

Sindu was in tears. 'And you promised to grant me whatever I ask for.

Now, you are going back on your words. Was it not you who told me the story of King Harishchandra, and its moral that we should honor our promises no matter what?'

It was time for me to call the shots.
'Our promise must be kept.'
'Are you out your mind?' chorused my mother and wife.

'No. If we go back on our promises, she will never learn to honor her own.

Sindu, your wish will be fulfilled.'

With her head clean-shaven, Sindu had a round-face, and her eyes looked big and beautiful.

On Monday morning, I dropped her at her school. It was a sight to watch my hairless Sindu walking towards her classroom. She turned around and waved. I waved back with a smile. Just then, a boy alighted from a car, and shouted, 'Sinduja, please wait for me!'

What struck me was the hairless head of that boy.
'May be, that is the in-stuff', I thought. 'Sir, your daughter Sinduja is great indeed!' Without introducing herself, a lady got out of the car, and continued,' That boy who is walking along with your daughter is my son Harish. He is suffering from... ... leukemia.' She paused to muffle her sobs.

Harish could not attend the school for the whole of the last month. He lost all his hair due to the side effects of the chemotherapy. He refused to come back to school fearing the unintentional but cruel teasing of the schoolmates.

'Sinduja visited him last week, and promised him that she will take care of the teasing issue.

But, I never imagined she would sacrifice her lovely hair for the sake of my son! Sir, you and your wife are blessed to have such a noble soul as your daughter.'

I stood transfixed. And then, I wept. 'My little Angel, you are teaching me how self-less real love is!'

*The happiest people on this planet are not those who live on their own terms but are those who change their terms for the ones whom they love..*
"The life is short, the vanities of world are transient but they alone live who live for others; the rest are more dead than alive.

Hi Anandi,

I hope you know that this is a true story of Dr. Howard Kelly (1858-1943) who was a distinguished physician and was one of the four founding doctors of Johns Hopkins, the first medical research university in the U.S. and arguably one of the finest hospitals anywhere.
Yes, Karthik bhai, I have read this too and posted only the story behind it. Thank you for posting it. A very good information indeed.

Chanakya's Quotes - Worth reading a million times...(Indian politician, strategist and writer, 350 BC 75 BC) [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

"A person should not be too honest.
Straight trees are cut first
and Honest people are victimised first."

"Even if a snake is not poisonous,
it should pretend to be venomous."

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

"The biggest guru-mantra is: Never share your secrets with anybody. ! It will destroy you."

"There is some self-interest behind every friendship.
There is no Friendship without self-interests.
This is a bitter truth."

"Before you start some work, always ask yourself three questions - Why am I doing it, What the results might be and Will I be successful. Only when you think deeply
and find satisfactory answers to these questions, go ahead."

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]"As soon as the fear approaches near, attack and destroy it."

"Once you start a work on something,
don't be afraid of failure and
don't abandon it.
People who work sincerely are the happiest."

"The fragrance of flowers spreads
only in the direction of the wind.
But the goodness of a person spreads in all direction."

"A man is great by deeds, not by birth."

"Treat your kid like a darling for the first five years.
For the next five years, scold them.
By the time they turn sixteen, treat them like a friend.
Your grown up children are your best friends."

"Education is the best friend.
An educated person is respected everywhere.
Education beats the beauty and the youth."

[FONT=&quot]Daughter and Dad....!!!
Alison was a very determined four year old girl. She was interested in everything, but drawing especially was her expertise. Her mother Ann bought her papers and colors and brushes and pencils and it seemed Alison used them all in a day or two.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This time she had decided she wanted to learn to draw houses. Where ever you looked, you could see papers with drawings of square houses with square windows and little chimneys on the roof - smoke curling up to the sky under a bright yellow sun, in an amazingly blue sky that invariably had one white cloud too. And there was always bright green grass around the house, speckled with red flowers. Alison loved red flowers.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Alison showed her drawings to everyone. She especially wanted to impress her father. There is a time when daughters and dads bond strongly, and Alison sure loved her dad and wanted to bond. She wanted to bond very much - but dad always seemed to be to busy. Ann watched with a heavy heart how daughter and dad very seldom played together and how the father reacted to Alison's attempts to show her drawings to him. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]http://www.inspirational-short-stories.com/happy-days.html Yes, honey, that is lovely, he would barely glimpse at Alison´s drawings, and then answer his cell phone or go to his study. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]One day Alison used many hours to draw a really detailed house. It was magnificent. She had drawn individual tiles and colored them one by one, carefully leaving white space between the tiles. She had drawn curtains in the windows, and herself, mom and dad looking out of the them. On the lawn was the puppy she so much wanted to have.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- Look, mom! she ran to show her drawing to her mother.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- Oh, Alison, this is so beautiful!! Your best ever![/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Alison beamed.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- I´ll show this to dad now![/FONT] [FONT=&quot]She ran down the hall to the closed door of her father´s study.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- Dad! Dad! She tried to open the door.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]It was locked. Alison´s mom saw the expression of disappointment on her daughter´s face. She reached for the door knob once again.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- Dad?[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]They could hear him talking on the phone with someone. Then the talking stopped.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- DAD! Alison knocked on the door,- I want you to see the house I made![/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- I´m sorry, Alison, I am busy, came the voice behind the door, - Can´t you show it to someone else?[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Alison´s hand fell down to her side. She looked down on her magnificent drawing and her lower lip started to tremble.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- I don´t want to show it to anyone else. I want to show it to my dad. You're the only dad I have![/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The last words were no more than a whisper and yet they were left hanging in the air like someone had shouted them.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Alison´s mom felt such heaviness in her heart and she took a step towards her daughter, ready for a hug. But before she took another step, she heard a click. The door was unlocked and Alison´s dad appeared. He looked embarrassed.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]- I´m sorry Alison. I was stupid, he kissed her daughter´s cheek, - Come here and we´ll look at your drawing![/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Daughter and the only dad she had walked into the room to admire the child's beautiful work of art. If you want to be loved, you have to give love - and not take anyone for granted. Daughter and dad, son and mother, sister and brother... All worth a little time in your calendar. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fun_and_fun_only[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A small touching story mainly for professionals... [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

A man came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his
5-year old son waiting for him at the door.
SON: "Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
DAD: "Yeah sure, what is it?" replied the man.
SON: "Daddy, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
the man said angrily.
SON: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an
hour?"
DAD: "If you must know, I make Rs.100 an hour."
SON: "Oh," the little boy replied, with his head down.
SON: "Daddy, may I please borrow Rs.50?"The father was furious, "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then
you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about
why you are being so selfish. I work hard everyday for such this
childish behavior."
The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little
boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some
money?
After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to
think: Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that
Rs.50 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to
the door of the little boy's room and opened the door. "Are you asleep, son?" He asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] "No daddy, I'm awake," replied the boy.
"I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier" said the
man.
"It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you.. Here's the
Rs.50 you asked for."
The little boy sat straight up, smiling. "Oh, thank you daddy!" He yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills.
The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry
again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up
at his father.
"Why do you want more money if you already have some?" the father
grumbled.
"Because I didn't have enough, but now I do," the little boy replied.
"Daddy, I have Rs.100 now. Can I buy an hour of your time?
Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with
you."
The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he
begged for his forgiveness.
It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We
should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some
time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts.
Do remember to share that Rs.100 worth of your time with someone you love.
If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily
replace us in a matter of days.
But the family & friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the
rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more
into work than to our family.[/FONT]

A beautiful conversation between a mother and her sweet little son….

A little boy came up to his mother in the kitchen one evening while she was fixing supper,

and handed her a piece of paper that he had been writing on.
After his Mom dried her hands on an apron, she read it, and this is what it said:
For cutting the grass: 35/-
For cleaning up my room this week: 25/-
For going to the store for you: 10/-
Baby-sitting my kid brother while you went shopping: 10/-
Taking out the garbage: 35/-
For getting a good report card: 25/-
For cleaning up and raking the yard: 10/-
Total owed: 150/-

Well, his mother looked at him standing there, and the boy could see the memories flashing through her mind.
She picked up the pen, turned over the paper he'd written on, and this is what she wrote:
For the nine months I carried you while you were growing inside me:
No Charge

For all the nights that I've sat up with you, doctored and prayed for you:
No Charge

For all the trying times, and all the tears that you’ve caused through the years:
No Charge

For all the nights that were filled with dread, and for the worries I knew were ahead:
No Charge

For the toys, food, clothes, and even wiping your nose:
No Charge

Son, when you add it up, the cost of my love is:
No Charge.
When the boy finished reading what his mother had written, there were big tears in his eyes, and he looked straight at his mother and said, Mom, I sure do love you. And then he took the pen and in great big letters he wrote: PAID IN FULL

Last edited:
An inspiring example of humility and demonstration of gratitude.......

This is about Mr. Zavere Poonawala , who is a well-known industrialist in Pune. He had this driver named Ganga Datt with him for the last 30 years on his limousine, which was originally owned by Acharya Rajneesh.
Ganga Datt passed away recently and at that time Mr. Poonawala was in Mumbai for some important work.As soon as he heard the news,he cancelled all his meetings, requested the driver's family to await him for the cremation and came back to Pune immediately by a helicopter.

On reaching Pune he asked the limo to be decorated with flowers as he wished Ganga Datt should be taken in the same car which he himself had driven since the beginning. When Ganga Datt's family agreed to his wishes, he himself drove Ganga Datt from his home up to the ghat on his last journey.
When asked about it, Mr. Poonawala replied that Ganga Datt had served him day and night and he could at least do this being eternally grateful for him. He further added that Ganga Datt rose up from poverty and educated both his children very well. His daughter is a Chartered accountant which is commendable.

His comment in the end, is the essence of a successful life in all aspects
:.“Everybody earns money which is nothing unusual, but we should always be grateful to those people who contribute for our success. This is the belief, we have been brought up with which made me do, what I did”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back