• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Motivational Stories from various Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Books, Not Bullets: Malala Opens School For Syrian Girls to Celebrate 18th Birthday

Books, Not Bullets: Malala Opens School For Syrian Girls to Celebrate 18th Birthday

July 21, 2015

Malala Yousafzai, who became the youngest person to receive the esteemed Nobel Peace Prize in 2014, celebrated her 18th birthday on Sunday in Lebanon by opening a school for Syrian refugee girls.

At the opening of the Malala Fund girls’ school for secondary education, Malala called on world leaders to invest in ‘books not bullets’.

Malala’s determination and resolve made her an ideal for the whole world when she was shot on a school bus in Pakistan in 2012 by the Taliban for advocating girls’ rights to education. Undeterred, Malala continued campaigning and her hard work won her the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014.

In the week leading up to her birthday, she ditched traditional celebrations and instead, asked people across the globe to use social media to push world leaders for increased education funding.

“In just a few days, I will be turning 18… And this year, I am not asking for birthday wishes or presents. I am asking for action. Show world leaders that you believe education—not the military—is a better investment in our future.”

We salute Malala’s undying spirit and vision to bring educational equality in our patriarchal world, the continuous jeopardy that threatens her life. Let us come together and show all Talibans and Laskhar-e-Taibas and the likes that for each Malala they attack, we will have a hundred other Malalas to stand against them.

http://thelogicalindian.com/news/bo...-for-syrian-girls-to-celebrate-18th-birthday/

Shubham Jaglan wins second junior world golf title in two weeks

Shubham Jaglan wins second junior world golf title in two weeks

Jul 24, 2015,

NEW DELHI: Ten-year-old Shubham Jaglan added another feather to his cap when he created history by winning the IJGA World Stars of Junior Golf event in Las Vegas on Thursday.

The son of a milkman from rural Haryana shot a three round score of 106 winning by a five-stroke margin, ahead of two Americans Justin Dang and Sihan Sandhu and Thailand's Pongsapak Laopakdee for the Boys 9-10 years category title at the Angel Park.

Last Sunday, Jaglan had clinched a one-stroke win at the Junior World Golf Championships at the Welk Resort Fountain Course in California.

"It's just a dream come true. It was all my year's hard work. I am celebrating in a great way. All my friends are congratulating me," Shubham said.

"It was all because of my family's support, my coach, my school which helped me in the US, that's why I could speak to you actually and my golf club DGC for giving me all facilities for playing. Especially my dad supported me through my life and it has been a great journey.

"I am just working hard and being honest, there are no short-cuts for me," he told NDTV.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...f-title-in-two-weeks/articleshow/48196913.cms

79-year-old 'Medicine Baba' collects medicine from rich and gives to poor!

79-year-old 'Medicine Baba' collects medicine from rich and gives to poor!

1437752993medicinebaba1.jpg

New Delhi: It is not necessary to be a billionaire like Bill Gates or Mukesh Ambani, to help the poor and needy. Sheer willingness and determination is all it takes to bring happiness in the lives of deprived.

Omkarnath, who goes by the name "Medicine Baba", is one such soul in the national capital who literally is playing the role of "Robin Hood" in real life.

From the past eight years, the 79-year-old retired blood-bank technician has been collecting unused prescription drugs from the wealthy and distributing, whatever is not expired, to the patients who cannot afford it.
What makes his initiative more striking is the fact that 649 million people in India have no access to medicines (according to World Health Organisation report).

His saffron shirt, on which his contact numbers (9250243298, 9971926518) are printed, has made him a familiar face on campuses such as the Janki Devi Memorial College in west Delhi which supports his mission.

The talkative old man began his mission after watching some badly injured construction workers being denied treatment and medicines in a government hospital. Afterwards, he decided to volunteer for the cause so that it won’t happen again with anyone else.

“I thought, why not collect medicines for the poor? “No one else seems to be doing it.”

From that day to today, Omkarnath spends his day going around collecting medicine, sorting them and handing them to needy patients. After taking bath early morning, Nath leaves from his rented accommodation at a fetid slum in Palam, to call out the people to donate unused medicines.

“When servants shoo me away saying my shouts are disturbing their babus’ newspaper read, I don’t mind. If you’re on the street to beg, you should leave shame at home. Besides, I’m not asking for bread; all I want is medicine.”

Despite being crippled, the old man travels daily by bus and foot in various colonies of the national capital to collect the unused medicines. He distributes these free of cost at 12 charitable clinics and two government hospitals.

Through his endeavour, Nath collects medicines worth Rs 5-10 lakh per month from Delhi alone. He stores these medicines on shelves at a rented store room, which costs him Rs 2,000 per month plus electricity.

One of Omkarnath's regular recipients is 52-year-old Dhulichand, who has been suffering from emphysema for several years. The former shoemaker, who goes by only one name, cannot afford the $100 it costs for 20 oxygen cylinders he needs to breathe each month.

"I can't move around or even shower without these cylinders," a bedridden Dhulichand says, as a clear tube delivers a steady flow of oxygen to his nostrils from a cylinder against the wall in his tiny concrete room.

"Government hospitals don't take me" because he needs too much care, he says. "They tell me to go back home."

Omkarnath depends on cash donations to cover his costs and modest living expenses, which come to about $500 a month.

At present, India spends just over 1 percent of its gross domestic product on health care - one of the lowest rates in the world. Moreover, 45 percent of the $25 billion worth pharmaceuticals produced in the nation is exported to foreign countries every year.
The government, undoubtedly, needs to address this complicated yet important issue of arranging adequate healthcare facilities for the people of India, especially lower-income group.

http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/ind...s-medicine-from-rich-gives-to-poor-52963.html

Hiker Andi Davis saved the life 
of a 50-pound pit bull.

Hiker Andi Davis saved the life 
of a 50-pound pit bull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdh1nAHWuqE

The trail through the 
Phoenix Mountains Preserve wasn’t usually so deserted. Even on her 
regular predawn trek, Andi Davis, 
49, regularly crossed paths with 
a handful of other hikers. On this morning, however, she heard only coyotes howling among the cacti 
and spiky ocotillos.

01-heroes-woman-pitbull-pa.jpg

A half mile in, where the trail sloped steeply, Andi used her hands to clamber up to the highest peak. When she finally reached the summit, she noticed a dark shape inches 
from her left foot. She startled, then stared. It’s a dog, she said to herself, and it’s dead. She took a moment 
to realize that the dog’s eyes were open. A thin, dirt-caked pit bull was looking at her.

Instantly, Andi was afraid. She 
was a sucker for strays; she, her 
husband, Jason, and their ten-year-old daughter, Jessica, had three at home. But ever since a pit bull had attacked her German shepherd when she was out walking him one day, she’d been wary of pit bulls. She murmured a greeting to show she was friendly. At the sound of her voice, the pit bull trembled violently.

Andi inched closer and dripped some water into the dog’s mouth. 
He tried to stand up but then collapsed. Something was wrong with his left front leg. Andi pulled out her phone to contact her husband, but he didn’t respond. Pity overwhelmed her, and she knew that if she didn’t carry the dog down the mountain, 
he would die.

She carefully put her arms under the injured dog’s body. He was so weak, “he literally fell into my chest,” she says.

Staggering down the steep, rocky mountainside with the 50-pound 
animal in her arms, Andi repeated, “It’s OK. It’s OK,” more to soothe 
herself than the dog. Would she fall? Would he bite her? When her arms and back started aching, she refused to give in to the pain. The trip up had taken 30 minutes; going back down took twice that.

At home, Andi’s husband finally 
received her messages. He and Jessica jumped into the car and drove to 
the parking lot. Just as Jason was 
pulling up, Andi stumbled into the 
lot with the dog cradled in her arms. “He’s hurt!” Andi warned as her daughter leaped from the car. “Stay back, and be careful.” Jessica began to cry when she saw the dog’s injuries.

Then the pit bull lifted his head and tenderly licked Jessica’s cheek. Once in the backseat, he laid his head on Jessica’s lap, and she pulled the thorns from his matted coat 
on the way to the Arizona Humane Society.

Later that morning, an X-ray 
revealed that a bullet had landed in the dog’s shoulder and shattered the bone, but it was too close to surrounding blood vessels to be safely removed. There was a chance, too, that the dog would lose his damaged leg, though the vet thought it might heal on its own. (It did.)

A few days later, the Davises 
returned. Andi reports that “the 
first thing he did was give me a kiss, then go right to my daughter.” Any reservations Andi might have had evaporated right there. They named the dog Elijah and brought him home that day.
Since then, “he’s been perfect,” says Andi. He plays happily with 
the family’s Boston terrier and 
jumps into Jessica’s bed to snuggle every morning. Elijah’s calm, 
affectionate nature makes the wounding and abandonment on 
the mountain inexplicable. “He’s 
so sweet. Why would someone 
shoot him?” Andi asks.

The Davises realize they’ll never know. They’re just relieved the 
story has had a happy ending.

Says Jessica, “He was meant to 
be ours.”

Dhyan Chand to be honoured with Bharat Gaurav' Lifetime Achievement Award

Dhyan Chand to be honoured with Bharat Gaurav' Lifetime Achievement Award by British Parliament

New Delhi, July 24, 2015

dhyan-chand_305_072415035930.jpg

Dhyan Chand is well-known name in the Indian hockey. If we think of splendid days of Indian hockey, the Padma Bhushan awardee comes to our minds. The Wizard of Hockey, Dhyan Chand will be honoured with 'Bharat Gaurav' Lifetime Achievement Award in British Parliament on July 25. The award will be given by an NRI organisation known as Sanskriti Yuva Sangstha. Dhyan Chand's son Ashok Chand has been invited to receive the award on his behalf.

To celebrate the honour, let's remember the hockey legend by grabbing some interesting facts about him:

• Dhyan Chand was born in Allahabad but because of his father's army transfers, the family had to move from one city to another

• During his tenure in the game, Indian hockey won three Olympic gold medals in the years 1928, 1932, and 1936

• He was known as "The Wizard" for his superb ball control

• Chand played his final international match in the year 1948

• As a child, he did not have any inclination towards sports. He always wanted to be a wrestler

• Chand joined the British Indian Army at the age of 16

• His fellow players used to call him Chand because he used to practice a lot during the night, after his duty hours, in the Army. It is also said that he used to wait for the moon to come out for the visibility on the ground

• Between 1922 and 1926, Chand played army hockey tournaments and regimental games

• His excellent skills with the hockey ball got him selected for the Indian Army team which was to tour New Zealand. The team won 18 matches and lost only one

• When he returned to India, Chand was immediately promoted to Lance Naik

• Fuhrer of Germany, Adolf Hitler, was so impressed by his skills that he offered him German citizenship and the rank of Colonel in his army

• It is said that the officials of Netherlands broke his hockey stick to check whether there was a magnet inside his hockey or not

• Chand scored more than 400 goals in his international career

• Don Bradman, after watching him play, remarked that he scores goals like runs in cricket

• He was honoured at the National Stadiun with Dhyan Chand tournament in the year 1951

• Dhyan Chand was honoured with the Padma Bhushan in 1956.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/education/story/dhyan-chand/1/453821.html

Nawazuddin Siddiqui a Farmer's son - to become Fillm Actor

Nawazuddin Siddiqui a Farmer's son - to become Film Actor

220px-Nawazuddin_Siddiqui_Black_Currency_Mahurat.jpg

Nawazuddin Siddiqui (born 19 May 1974) Born in a small town of Muzaffarnagar district in Uttar Pradesh from a Muslim family, where his father is a farmer.

Siddiqui grew up amongst nine siblings, seven brothers and two sisters.[SUP]

[/SUP]After graduating in science from Gurukul Kangri University in Haridwar, Uttarakand, he worked as a chemist in a petrochemical company for a short while. But boredom set in soon, and he moved to Delhi. He graduated from the The National School of Drama (NSD), New Delhi in 1996 for his theatre academics.

He went to the National School of Drama New Delhi.[SUP]

[/SUP] After graduating from NSD, he shifted to Mumbai. In 2004, which was one of the worst years of his struggle, he couldn’t pay any rent. He asked an NSD senior if he could stay with him. The senior allowed him to share his apartment in Goregaon if he was willing to cook meals for him.[SUP]

[/SUP] Nawazuddin made his Bollywood debut in 1999, with a small role in Aamir Khan starrer, Sarfarosh.[SUP]

[/SUP] After that, he hung out at film studios and shootings but only got stereotypical roles. He shared screen along with Sunil Dutt and Sanjay Dutt in Munnabhai MBBS in the opening scenes where he tries to pick the pocket of Sunil Dutt. After moving to Mumbai he tried to get work in television serials, but did not achieve much success.[SUP]

[/SUP] He did a short film The Bypass in 2003, where he appeared with actor, Irrfan Khan.[SUP]

[/SUP]Beyond that between 2002–05, he was largely out of work, and lived in a flat he shared with four other people, and survived by conducting occasional acting workshops.[SUP]

[/SUP]

His appearance in Anurag Kashyap's Black Friday (2004) paved way for other powerful roles. His first lead role in a feature film was as the wedding singer Chakku in Prashant Bhargava's Patang (shot in 2007-2008), which premiered at the Berlin Film Festival and Tribeca Film Festival, for which Nawazuddin's natural performance has been praised by world renowned film critic Roger Ebert (awarding the film 4 stars), a role which 'transformed his acting style'.[SUP]

[/SUP] In 2009, he appeared in a cameo role in hit song "emotional atyachar" in the movie Dev D in his moniker as Rangila along with his duo Rasila (known together as Patna ke Presley). Nawazuddin was noticed in the film "New York". However it was his role of a journalist in Aamir Khan Productions's Peepli Live (2010), that first got him recognition as an actor.[SUP][18][/SUP] He became a household name post Kahaani (2012), where he played the archetypal short-tempered intelligence officer Khan.[SUP]

[/SUP] Anurag Kashyap's gangster epic Gangs of Wasseypur followed which furthered his fame.[SUP]

[/SUP] He played his first primary role as Sonu Duggal in Ashim Ahluwalia's Miss Lovely which premiered at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival,a role Nawazuddin describes as his "most real performance so far."[SUP]

[/SUP] Nawazuddin then followed this up with the sequel to Gangs of Wasseypur. In 2013, he played the lead role in the horror flick Aatma.[SUP]

[/SUP] He has appeared in Aamir Khan's 2012 release, Talash. His film Patang, which was recently released in the U.S. and Canada, is garnering much attention for Nawazuddin with rave reviews from the New York Times, and Los Angeles Times.

Awards

Please read more from here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nawazuddin_Siddiqui

7 Indian Child Geniuses Who Have Amazed India - All In The Last Five Years!

7 Indian Child Geniuses Who Have Amazed India - All In The Last Five Years!

July 26, 2015

15-year-old Sushma Varma might be India's youngest postgraduate, topping her first, second, and fourth semester in MSc (Microbiology) at the Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar (Central) University this year. And now she's headed on her way to a Ph.D in environmental microbiology at her university.

Indian child prodigies aren't exactly a rare phenomenon - the last 5 years have seen kids casually smash records in science and music. This is India's next generation of Einsteins.

Tathagat Avatar Tulsi

tatha-6_1437830327.jpg

toi

This is Tathagat Avatar Tulsi's resume. Warning: It’lll make you feel slightly ashamed of your own.
High school at the age of nine
Graduation in science at 10
MSc in Physics at 12
PhD in Quantum Computing (Indian Institute of Science) at 21.
Now he’s teaching at IIT, and gunning for a Limca Book of Records as India's youngest faculty member at IIT. And that's just a side pursuit.

Tulsi's real aim is to win a Nobel Prize for a discovery in science.

Satyam Kumar

satyam_1437830174.jpg

toi

2 years ago, Satyam Kumar surprised India as the youngest to qualify in the 2013 IIT entrance exam. The Bhojpuri son of a poor farmer Sidhnath Singh cleared IIT-JEE twice, after getting special permission from CBSE to sit in the test. In 2013, Satyam secured All India Rank of 679. "I was not satisfied with my low rank and hence repeated the test,", he told the Economic Times. All this, despite the lack of any formal schooling till standard eight.

Balsant Shivanand Tiwari

indialive_balsant_1437830147.jpg

indialive

This Bihari boy can recite 700 shlokas of the Bhagwad Gita with as much ease as he can solve mathematics, physics and chemistry numericals which helped him secure the 2,587th rank at the IIT-JEE (Advanced) 2014. Yet, the 14 year old Balsant Shivanand Tiwari, a farmer's son from village Dharampura, never received formal education.

"Till 2010, I didn't have much inclination towards studies, except for solving problems of mathematics. But then somebody suggested me to aim for the IITs and I got help from the Narayana Academy to pursue my dreams," Shivanand told the Economic Times.

Truptraj Pandya

radiosai_truptraj_1437830215.jpg

radiosai

His first award weighed a kilo more than him, and in 2013 the Pandya received a certificate from the Guinness Book of World Records proclaiming him the world's youngest tabla player -at the age of 6. This certificate shares space in his living room with other awards, including the Baal Kala Ratna Award-acknowledging his live All India Radio performance at the age of 3, and at Doordarshan Sahyadri when he was 4. His first public performance was at the age of 2 at Somaiya College.

Sahal Kaushik

sahal_kaushik_toi_1437830101.jpg

toi

By now, you'd be a bit bored of kids clearing IIT-Jee. But 14-year-old Sahal Kaushik left everyone in disbelief by not only becoming the youngest ever to crack the tough IIT-JEE test but also topping it in Delhi and notching an all-India rank of 33. This, without formal schooling. Sahal was schooled at home by his mother, Ruchi Kaushik, a doctor-turned-homemaker.

"This boy doesn't need a pen and paper. He solved JEE orally before selecting the answers. He speaks less, thinks more," said U P Singh, Sahal's mentor.
Now, at the age of 19, he's at New York's Stony Brook University for his PhD in 'High Energy Particles'.
Naina Jaiswal

naina_1437830082.jpg

At the age of 12, Naina Jaiswal appeared for her BA Examination, studying mass communication, political science, remedial English, phonetics, English and Hindi at the collegiate level. Also a tennis champ, Jaiswal passed her class X examination at the age of eight and completed her Intermediate at 11. And the only reason she's sprinting through her education is her real dream - representing India at the Olympics, "I want to have ample time for sports. At 16, I want to finish my PG so that by the time I turn 20 I can concentrate on my practice and realise my dream of winning an Olympic gold medal for the country as well as start preparing for the UPSC exam," she told the Times of India.

She's also won multiple gold medals in various national and international table tennis tournaments.

Jiya Phutela

dainikbhaskar_phutela_1437830036.jpg

naina phutele

This is what Jiya Phutela can do:

She can write the Periodic Table and the element of atomic number within a second
On being told a date and year, she can tell the day

She remembers the names of all presidents and prime ministers of India serial wise
If you blindfold her, she can use her senses to mimic your movements.

She's developed these abilities after being trained in Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) by her father.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...-india-all-in-the-last-five-years-243436.html

முகங்கள்: தமிழ்ப் பெண்ணுக்கு சர்வதேச அங்

முகங்கள்: தமிழ்ப் பெண்ணுக்கு சர்வதேச அங்கீகாரம்!

July 26, 2015

kali_2486976f.jpg

தான் நடித்த முதல் திரைப்படத்துக்குச் சர்வதேச அங்கீகாரம் கிடைத்த பெருமிதத்தின் சுவடு துளியும் இல்லாமல் இயல்பாக இருக்கிறார் காளீஸ்வரி சீனிவாசன். இவர் நாயகியாக நடித்த ‘தீபன்’ திரைப்படம், இந்த ஆண்டு கான் திரைப்பட விழாவில் மிக உயரிய விருதான ‘தங்கப் பனை’ விருது வென்றிருக்கிறது. நவீன நாடக நடிகையான காளீஸ்வரி, சென்னை ரெட்டேரியைச் சேர்ந்தவர். அப்பா, சீனிவாசன் ராணுவ வீரர். அம்மா சாந்தகுமாரி, பள்ளி ஆசிரியை. நடிப்புக்கும் சினிமாவுக்கும் தொடர்பே இல்லாத நடுத்தரக் குடும்பம்.

கல்லூரி படிப்பை முடித்ததும் காளீஸ்வரிக்கு பி.பி.ஓ நிறுவனத்தில் வேலை கிடைத்தது. அந்த வேலையில் வருமானம் கிடைத்ததே தவிர மனதுக்கு நிறைவில்லை. அப்படியே இரண்டு ஆண்டுகள் ஓடிய நிலையில், அந்த வேலையை விட்டுவிட்டு ‘தியேட்டர் ஒய்’ நாடகக் குழுவில் தொகுப்பாளினி பயிற்சியில் சேர்ந்தார். நாடகக்குழு இயக்குநர் யோக், காளீஸ்வரிக்கு நடிப்பு நன்றாக வருவதாக உற்சாகப்படுத்த, அப்படித்தான் காளீஸ்வரியின் மேடை நாடக வாழ்க்கை தொடங்கியது. அதன் பின்னர் முழுநேர நாடக நடிகையாக மாறியவர் ‘தியேட்டர் ஒய்’ மட்டுமின்றி, கோவில்பட்டி முருகபூபதியின் ‘மணல்மகுடி’ புதுச்சேரி ‘இந்தியநாஷ்ட்ரம்’ போன்றவற்றிலும் தன் நடிப்புத் திறனை வெளிப்படுத்தினார்.

பள்ளிகளில் மாணவர்களுக்குக் கதை சொல்லியாகவும் இருக்கிறார்.விழிப்புணர்வு வீதி நாடகங்களில் நடிப்பதும் காளீஸ்வரியின் விருப்பங்களில் ஒன்று.

“கால்செண்டர்ல வேலை பார்த்த எனக்கு, வேறொரு உலகத்தை இந்த நாடகத் துறை அறிமுகப்படுத்தியது.

இது முற்றிலும் வேறுபட்ட களம். இங்கு ஆடம்பர வாழ்க்கைக்கு வாய்ப்பில்லை என்றாலும் மனநிறைவுக்குக் குறைவில்லை. நான் இந்தத் துறைக்கு வந்து ஐந்து ஆண்டுகள் ஆகிறது. நாடகங்கள் எனக்குச் சோறு போட்டதுடன், ‘தீபன்’ திரைப்படத்தில் நடிக்கும் வாய்ப்பையும் பெற்றுத்தந்தன” என்கிறார் காளீஸ்வரி.

போரில் பாதிக்கப்பட்டு இலங்கையில் இருந்து புலம்பெயரும் மக்களுடைய பிரச்சினைகளைப் பேசுகிறது ‘தீபன்’ திரைப்படம்.

“இந்தப் படத்தில் யாழினி என்ற பெண்ணாக நடித்தபோது, பாதிக்கப்பட்ட இலங்கைத் தமிழர்களின் வலியை உணர்ந்தேன். கான் திரைப்பட விழாவில் படம் முடிந்ததும் அனைவரும் நெகிழ்ச்சியில் எழுந்து நின்று கைதட்டி எங்கள் குழுவைப் பாரட்டியதை மறக்க முடியாது. ஃபிரெஞ்ச் மொழியில் இயக்குநர் ஜாக் ஒதியார்து உருவாக்கிய இந்தப் படம் விரைவில் திரைக்கு வரும் என எதிர்பார்க்கிறேன்” என்றவருக்குத் தன் அம்மா சாந்தகுமாரியிடம் இருந்து பாராட்டு பெற்றது மிகப் பெரிய அங்கீகாரம் என்கிறார்.

“பொதுவாக நடிப்புத் தொழிலுக்குத் தங்கள் பிள்ளைகளைப் பெரும்பாலான பெற்றோர் அனுமதிப்பதில்லை. நல்ல வேலையில் இருந்து வெளியே வந்து, அதுவும் மேடை நாடகத்தில் நடிக்கப் போகிறேன் என்றதும் வழக்கம் போல் என்னுடைய வீட்டிலும் கடும் எதிர்ப்பு கிளம்பியது. அதையும் மீறித்தான் நடித்து வந்தேன். நான் இந்தத் துறைக்கு வந்த பிறகு ஒருமுறைகூட என் தொழில் குறித்துப் பேசாத என் அம்மா ‘தீபன்’ படத்துக்குக் கிடைத்த விருதுக்குப் பிறகு வாழ்த்தினார்” என்று நெகிழ்ச்சியுடன் சொல்கிறார் காளீஸ்வரி. ‘மெட்ராஸ்’ திரைப்படத்தில் மாரி கதாபாத்திரத்தில் நடித்த வினோத், இவரது கணவர். இருவருமே நாடகத் துறையைச் சேர்ந்தவர்களாக இருப்பதால் காளீஸ்வரியின் கலைப் பயணம் தடங்கலின்றித் தொடர்கிறது.

http://tamil.thehindu.com/society/w...தேச-அங்கீகாரம்/article7466841.ece?ref=popNews

http://www.thehindu.com/features/me...overwhelming-but-beautiful/article7244417.ece

அஜித்தின் ‪#‎MohiniMani‬ Foundation

அஜித்தின் ‪#‎MohiniMani‬ Foundation

attachment.php

அஜித்தின் ‪#‎MohiniMani‬ Foundation ஒரு Non Goverment Organisation (NGO). அஜித்தின் அம்மாவின் பெயர் (மோகினி), அப்பாவின் பெயர் சுப்பிர (மணி). இவர்களின் பெயர்கள் தான் இந்த Foundation க்கு வைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது. அஜித்தின் ஒருபகுதி பணம் இந்த Foundation க்கு செல்கிறது. அதன் மூலம்

வயதான/ஊனமுற்றவர்களுக்கு உதவிகள் அளிக்கப்படுகின்றது! உதவிகளை பலருக்கும் தெரிந்த நிலையில் செய்யும் பல நடிகர்களுக்கு மத்தியில் ‪#‎அஜித்‬ மாதிரி சில நடிகர்கள் தான் வைத்திருக்கும் பவுண்டேஷன்களை கூட வெளிப்படுத்திக் கொள்ளாமல் உதவிகள் செய்கிறார்கள்!!

http://tntimes.in/cinema.html

Attachments

• ajith.jpg
    ajith.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 215
Neelakanta Sharma Gives Life to Five, Cremated at Parassala

Neelakanta Sharma Gives Life to Five, Cremated at Parassala

26th July 2015

attachment.php

(This is the family of late Adv. Neelkanta Sharma of Trivandrm. His wife latha agreed to donate Mr. Sharma's heart, Kidneys and 2 eyes when he was declared clinically dead couple of days back. I salute the lady who took such bold decision and become a role model for many.

His heart has been air lifted in a navy helicopter from trivandrum to cochin and planted in the body of Mathew Philip, an auto driver. His kidney's has been planted in the body of Mrs. Sheela and his eyes were donated to general institute of ophthalmology.

I request the trust formed by this group to engage in such awareness and get donors who are willing to donate their organs.- Source- TAMBRAHM THINNAI)

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM:Advocate S Neelakanta Sharma will continue to live in the bodies of five persons. His body was cremated on Saturday evening at the Brahmana crematorium near a small ‘agraharam’ at Parassala.

Sharma, 46, died on Friday at the Sree Chitra Institute for Medical Sciences at the Medical College here after he suffered a brain haemorrhage on July 6 at his residence.

Apart from lending his heart to Chalakkudy native Mathew Achadan, his other body parts such as eyes and kidneys were also donated, which will give a new lease of life to five other families.

The kidneys were handed over to the Medical College Hospital and KIMS Hospital. All the donations were carried out with the consent of Sharma’s wife Latha.

The hospital authorities said that the consent of donation was not at all delayed. A relative of Sharma told ‘Express’ that organ donation was the wish of Sharma’s family. Latha and the two kids readily agreed to donate the organs.

Friends and colleagues remember Sharma as a simple and god-fearing person and a disciplined lawyer.

He had been practising as a lawyer in the Vanchiyoor District Court and High Court for over two decades. A graduate of Law Academy Law College in 1994, he was active in social issues. He was well respected by the people around here.

Sharma’s body was kept at the office of the Trivandrum Bar Association at Vanchiyoor from 11 am for the public to pay homage.

Health Minister V S Sivakumar paid homage.

Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan visited the residence of Sharma. Achuthanandan told mediapersons that Sharma had set a model for all by donating the organs to the needy.
Sharma is survived by two sons, Subramanya Sharma and Gautham Sharma, besides his wife.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...ed-at-Parassala/2015/07/26/article2940547.ece

http://english.manoramaonline.com/n...-deployed-to-facilitate-organ-transplant.html

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/1507...irs/article/noble-deed-wife-brain-dead-person

Attachments

• Donation.jpg
    Donation.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 223
Dr.Muthu lakshmi reddy the first Tamil women doctor and legislator in India

Dr.Muthu lakshmi reddy the first Tamil women doctor and legislator in India

Muthulakshmi-267x300.jpg

Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddy (30 July 1886, Madras - 22 July 1968) was an eminent medical practitioner, social reformer and Padma Bhushan awardee in India. She was the first woman legislator in India

Muthulakshmi Reddy was appointed to the Madras Legislative Council in 1927. For her, this nomination marked the beginning of her lifelong effort to "correct the balance" for women by removing social abuses and working for equality in moral standards. She was one of the women pioneers who stood for the cause of liberating India from the British. She was a women's activist and a social reformer.

Muthulakshmi had many firsts to her recognition. She was the first female student to be admitted into a men's college, the first woman House Surgeon in the Government Maternity and Ophthalmic Hospital, the first woman legislator in British India, the first Chairperson of the State Social Welfare Advisory Board, the first woman Deputy President of the Legislative Council, and the first Alderwoman of the Madras Corporation Avvai Home.

Early life

Muthulakshmi was born in the princely state of Pudukottai of Tamil Nadu. In spite of various constraints faced by girls in India of her time, she completed her higher education, and was admitted into the medical profession. In 1907, she joined the Madras Medical College, where she achieved a brilliant academic record. With several gold medals and prizes to her credit, Muthulakshmi graduated in 1912 to become one of the first woman doctors in India. Soon thereafter, she came under the influence of Annie Besant, and then of Mahatma Gandhi.[SUP]

[/SUP]

Her father was S. Narayanasami, the principal of Maharaja's College. Her mother was Chandrammal. S. Narayanasami broke with tradition and sent Muthulakshmi to school. Her enthusiasm for learning was so great that Muthulakshmi's teachers decided to instruct her in subjects beyond those approved by her father. At the onset of puberty she was obliged to leave school, but tutoring continued at home. Chandrammal wanted to search for a bridegroom but Muthulakshmi had different aspirations. She expressed a need to be a different woman from the common lot. She pitied women for their subordination to men and inwardly rebelled whenever she heard people say that only boys needed education

When Muthulakshmi passed the matriculation exam she applied for admission to Maharaja's College but her application was not welcomed by the principal, or the parents of other students. Her gender was a factor and so was her background. The principal thought she might "demoralize" the male students. The somewhat enlightened Maharaja of Pudukottai ignored these objections, admitted her to the college, and gave her a scholarship. Her father suggested she become a school teacher but she had higher aspirations. She entered Madras Medical College, completed her studies in 1912, and became house surgeon in the Government Hospital for Women and Children in Chennai.
She later married Dr. Sundara Reddy on the demand that he promise to "always respect me as an equal and never cross my wishes." In 1914, when she was twenty-eight years of age, they married in accordance with the 1872 Native Marriage Act.

She is the aunt of the Tamil actor Gemini Ganesan and she was quoted as an inspiration by him early in his life.

Influences on Muthulakshmi Reddy

During her college years, Muthulakshmi met Sarojini Naidu and began to attend women's meetings. She found women who shared her personal concerns and addressed them in terms of women's rights. The two great personalities who influenced her life were Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Annie Besant. They persuaded her to devote herself to uplifting women and children. She worked for women's emancipation at a time when women were confined in the four walls of their room..
Reform works of Muthulakshmi

Muthulakshmi went to England for higher studies and she gave up her rewarding practice in medicine in response to a request from the Women's Indian Association (WTA) to enter the Madras Legislative Council. She was elected unanimously as its deputy president. She led the agitation for municipal and legislative franchise for women. She was concerned about the orphans, especially girls. She arranged for them free boarding and lodging and started the Avvai Home in Chennai.

Muthulakshmi was the author of numerous social reforms. Her book My Experience as a Legislator records her service. She passed a resolution to establish a special hospital for women and children. The government accepted her suggestion and opened a children's section in the maternity hospital. She recommended systematic medical inspection of students in all schools and colleges, run by municipalities as well as other local bodies. Kasturba Hospital at Triplicane is a monument to her efforts.

Muthulakshmi Reddy was the president of the All-India Women's Conference. She passed the bill for the suppression of brothels and immoral trafficking in women and children. A home for girls and women was opened through her efforts to provide shelter to those rescued from brothels. Due to her efforts a hostel for Muslim girls was opened and scholarships were given for Harijan girls. She recommended to the government that the minimum age for marriage be raised to at least 21 for boys and 16 for girls.

Muthulakshmi also started the Cancer Relief Fund. This has now developed into an all-India institution combining therapy and research on cancer and attracting patients from all over India. She became the first chairperson of the State Social Welfare Board. Her work on the Hartog Education Committee, which incorporated a study of educational progress in India, is a great achievement. As a member of this committee she travelled extensively and studied the progress of women's education throughout the country. She was the only woman member of the committee and brought about many improvements. She was also the editor of Roshini, an important journal of AIWC.

Muthulakshmi Reddy continued to fight for her cause till the end of her days and never let anything stand in her way. Even at the age of 80, she was energetic and vibrant. Her human preoccupations took her away from politics and she stuck to her mission and Gandhian ways. She was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the President of India in 1956. Her two outstanding monumental gifts for humanity remain the Avvai Home (for children) and the Cancer Institute.
Political career

She was nominated by Sakthi Hari Haran to the Madras Legislature as a member of the legislative council in 1926, and became the first woman to be a member of any legislature in India. When she was elected as the deputy chairperson of the legislative council, she became the first woman in the world to become the vice president of a legislature. She was the prime mover behind the legislation that abolished the Devadasi system and played a keen role in raising the minimum marriage age for women in India. In 1930, she resigned from the Madras Legislature as a protest following the imprisonment of Mahatma Gandhi. She argued for the removal of the Devadasi system that was widely prevalent in Tamil Nadu at that time against stiff resistance from the Congress lobby led by Sathyamoorthy Aiyar. She was the founder-president of the Women's Indian Association (WIA) and became the first alderwoman of the Madras Corporation.

Dr Reddy was actively involved with setting up of several toilets and women's toilets, and initiated measures to improve the medical facilities given to slum dwellers. In 1930, she founded Avvai, a home for destitute women and orphans at Besant Avenue, Adyar. As an MLC, she introduced a scheme of free education for girls up to class eight.
Adyar Cancer Institute

During her address at the Centenary celebration of 1935, she declared her desire to start a hospital for cancer patients. With the overwhelming support of like-minded people, the foundation stone for Adyar Cancer Institute was laid by Sakthi Hari Haran in 1952. The hospital, which started functioning on 18 June 1954, was only the second of its kind in India. It is today a world-renowned institution offering treatment to nearly 80,000 cancer patients every year.

Awards and books

Her book My Experience as a Legislator recounts her initiates in respect of social reforms taken by her in the Madras Legislature.

Government of India
conferred on her Padma Bhushan in 1956 in recognition of her meritorious services to the nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muthulakshmi_Reddi

http://hosuronline.com/index.php/fi...-muthulakshmis-birthday-celebrated-yesterday/

http://www.dailythanthi.com/News/St...-Nadu-The-first-woman-doctor-Muthulakshmi.vpf
http://www.tamilspider.com/resources/6291-First-Tamil-women-doctor-legislator.aspx

Mother throws son to safety before falling to death in escalator horror

Mother throws son to safety before falling to death in escalator horror

26 July 2015

A shocking video seemingly showing a mother fall to her death beneath an escalator in front of her son has appeared online.

The 15-second video was uploaded to YouTube today, and claims to show CCTV footage from the Jingzhou Shashi Anliang department store in China.

The video shows the mother and boy reaching the top of the escalator, before the floor in front collapses.

The mother manages to push the child to safety, but is swallowed up into the machinery, despite the efforts of staff.

According to LiveLeak, the woman's body was found three hours later.

Viewers discretion suggested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiV98x8ZiFA

Published on Jul 26, 2015

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/mother-throws-son-safety-before-6144497

Never say Die-A Story That Needs To Be Told

Never say Die-A Story That Needs To Be Told

This is a story of courage.

A true story of incredible courage of a soldier, whom I’ve had the privilege of knowing. Someone, who would just not take “NO” for an answer, despite the challenges life threw at him. A story that needs to be told.

There is inevitably a strange, almost labored disconnect between the urgent, distinctive ‘pop’ of the speeding bullet as it whizzes past you and the apparently languid, disarmingly slow movement of those around you. A sardonic, yet glowing affirmation of the theory of relativity, if you will. Those who have been inactive combat and had the privilege of being fired at, would know. Deependra Singh Sengar did. More than once!

It was the day after Valentine’s Day, 1998. Sengar had just been received at the Guwahati airport by the unit’s escort team. At 5’6” and 52 kgs in weight, you could easily mistake him for the a postgraduate student at Guwahati University. Sengar was re-joining the unit in active operations in the North East – after weeks of pleading, screaming & struggling against the orders of Col Ivan Crasto, the Commanding Officer – to man the administrative rear echelon of the unit in a cosy, sleepy town in Himachal Pradesh.

That is who he was – a man of action. And men of action, as you would know, abhor routine admin jobs!

The first message he overheard, 15 minutes in transit, on the secured communication radio link was garbled. 5-6 senior militant leaders in a house, armed with automatics, pin point location, high credibility of info, apparent transit profile, likely to move out soon. The Quick Reaction Team (QRT) from the unit was starting out, but could hit target only in an hour. Sengar quickly realized that with a short detour, he could be at the target in 20 mins. Saving 40 mins could mean the difference between success and failure.

A flurry of messages later, Sengar had convinced the Battalion HQ that he and his escort team were best positioned to initiate contact with the militants before they disappeared. The QRT could follow. Now, escort teams are usually a rag tag team of whoever is available. Fully kitted out, sure – weapons, ammo, secured communication – the works. But still, certainly not the first choice of guys for going into combat with. But that didn’t deter Sengar. He swung in and hit the target in 20 mins, as planned. A short, sharp exchange of fire ensued. 2 reds down, 3 had fled.

It is then that Sengar realized that he had been hit. Two bullets had pierced through his abdomen, making a clean, almost unnoticeable entry in the front and a classic, disproportionate exit wound in his back. What they call in the medical world, rather disparagingly, a ‘clean’ shot.

The rest was a blur. The flurry of the evacuation process. Hand carried, on four wheel drive, by chopper, through the local hospital in the neighborhood, and then to the Base Hospital at Guwahati. The long, unending line of surgeries. Cut, sew & cut again. After about 15 days of chopping and pasting, the docs were confident of partial recovery in a time frame of about 18-24 months.
A miracle, they called it. But then, they hadn’t seen miracles – as yet.

Sengar was no pushover who could be tied down to a hospital bed. He was up and about in 45 days. He read books on his condition and realized that psychological recovery was as important as medical one. He started doing what was in his reach- whether strict army hospital rules allowed or not.

Sneaking out of the hospital, hobbling along to the theatres to watch practically every movie worth watching. & some which didn’t fit even that bill. 60 days from that fateful day, a Unit officer was getting married. Sengar, attired in a Lungi & a kurta (he couldn’t wear anything else – the scars hadn’t yet healed), with tubes and bags (If you must know – A colostomy bag & a bag directly attached to urinary bladder) immodestly but practically hanging out of his modest frame, hired a car and travelled 5 hours one way to Dehradun.

“Huh? All this to attend a frikking marriage??”, You might ask. Well, Sengar wasn’t the type who’d let anything – certainly not a little thing like 25 grams worth of random molten lead that burnt independent, solitary furrows through his intestines – come in the way of having the pleasure of seeing one of his mates being led, willingly to the gallows!!

Sengar hated hospitals. Much to the deep dismay of a bevy of nurses there. He was back in the unit by early May, 98. The docs, fed up with his constant supplications to be released, grudgingly allowed him to get back to the unit, with the solemn promise that he would not exert himself, and stay confined to the unit HQs (chuckle chuckle).

Too difficult for someone who was called “Rocket” by the junior officers as Sengar was the recipient of the coveted “Dagger” in the Commando course, the one who was known for being one of the most physically fit officers and men.

Around this time, a training exercise was being conducted in the eastern sector and Sengar saw a chance to prove his fitness. He pleaded with Col Crasto to be allowed to get there, to ‘man the telephone’. Crasto finally caved in after Sengar was able to convince the doctors to pronounce him “fit” for active duty. Sengar had amazingly, defying every single precedent of recorded medical recovery in cases similar to his, convinced the docs to upgrade his medical category to SHAPE1.

He pleaded, struggled, nagged, nudged, begged, threatened, and resorted to blatant emotional blackmail of the vilest means known to be posted on the Eastern Sector.

In the middle of the exercise, news broke about the Kargil conflict and the unit was to airlift a team for the Kargil war. Sengar was back to doing what he loved best – back to action, leading a team. He led his team to capture Neelam post in the Kargil war, which was the highest post captured in the whole engagement by the Indian Army. By August 99, officially the Kargil war was over, but escalated engagements along the LOC still required the unit to stay in the area. And Sengar’s team was in the middle of action – again.

In Sep 01, Sengar was hit again.

A violent firefight with a group of freshly inducted militants. A burst of fire from an AK-47 tore through his upper thigh and hip. Bleeding profusely and his hip bone in tatters, we knew if we didn’t evacuate him in time, we’d lose him. A paratrooper in the Divisional HQ, a chopper pilot, who was on a routine training mission learnt of Sengar being hit. Without waiting for authorization, violating every rule in the book, flew in, he landed at a hastily secured patch at the base of the hill feature and evacuated Sengar to the hospital through a route not allowed for Indian aircrafts – Sengar reached hospital in 45 mins! A couple of more mins of delay, and he would have been history.

Back to the ‘cut n sew’ story; only, this time, it was more serious than the first. Sengar survived. Barely. He was transferred to Delhi’s super specialty Army hospital two months later and it was then, that his parents were brought to Delhi and the news broken. All this while he was told that he would recover and be back in action in a short time- It took him another month to finally learn from the docs their verdict – He would never walk again.

This was a body blow (pun unintended) even for Sengar. He decided to quit the Army. He had no interest in peddling files clad in the fabulous olives. Once he had waded through the rivers of emotion, which lasted all of 24 hours, he decided to take charge of his apparently fragile destiny.

Sengar started researching options of an alternate career path. He was 30, single and had the energy of a bull – or three. It didn’t take him long to realise that he needed to tame the beast called ‘CAT’ – the Common Admission Test, to take a shot at passing through the portals of the premier business schools.

As he did a SWOT analysis, he identified that his analytical skills weren’t what they once were. So, he decided to take on the task of conquering Arithmophobia – his paranoia of numbers. He got all the math books and diligently went through class four to class 12 books. Minor hiccups like the fact that he had to be carried from his hospital bed to the car, or the fact that they had to make special provision for him at the classes, so he could recline on an ad hoc chair and take notes didn’t bother him one bit.

Sengar took the CAT in Dec 2000. Based on his results, he got a call from 15 of the 16 B schools he had applied to – IIM (A), IIM (B), IIM (C), IIM (L) …. A veritable who’s who of the B school list. Four days after he hung up his beloved Olive Greens, he got married. Eight days later, he joined the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. Two brilliant years of number crunching analysis later, Sengar graduated with distinction – on crutches.

Today, Sengar is a top management professional with Microsoft, in Singapore with a doting wife and two wonderful kids. If you thought that’s the final update on his story, wait, because, there is one final flourish.

After ten long years on crutches, Sengar decided he had had enough. He chucked his crutches into a corner & decided to rough it out. Slowly, and with tremendous perseverance, he started walking. In under a year, he was going for short jogs. In Sep 13, on a trip to India, he decided to revisit his old unit. He got in touch with the Commanding Officer, who invited him to go for a run with the unit in the standard Battle Physical Efficiency Test- with loaded backpack and a weapon. And Sengar did.
The ‘Rocket’ had returned. To a hero’s welcome.

– Subin

http://thelogicalindian.com/story-f...ier-of-fortune-a-story-that-needs-to-be-told/

10 years Kunthavi Senthil Kumar a multi talented

10 years Kunthavi Senthil Kumar a multi talented girl

Kunthavi-600x337.jpg

10 years Kunthavi Senthil Kumar a multi talented in (Horse Riding, Karate, Swimming, Bharatanatyam, Yoga, Aero Modelling, Athletics, Magic) from Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.

Please open the link to view video

வியக்க வைக்கும் குந்தவி

http://www.dinamalar.com/video_main.asp?news_id=41463&cat=1238

http://indianachieverbookofrecords.com/multi-talented-10-years-kunthavi-senthil-kumar/

"Missile Man of India" Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen --Dr Abdul Kalam

"Missile Man of India" Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen --Dr Abdul Kalam

250px-Apj_abdul_kalam.JPG

Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
15 October 1931 – 27 July 2015) was the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. A career scientist turned reluctant politician, Kalam was born and raised in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu and studied physics and aerospace engineering. He spent the next four decades as a scientist and science administrator, mainly at the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and was intimately involved in India's civilian space program and military missile development efforts.[SUP]

[/SUP] He thus came to be known as the Missile Man of India for his work on the development of ballistic missile and launch vehicle technology.[SUP][/SUP] He also played a pivotal organizational, technical and political role in India's Pokhran-II nuclear tests in 1998, the first since the original nuclear test by India in 1974.[SUP]

[/SUP]

Kalam was elected President of India in 2002 with the support of both the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party and the opposition Indian National Congress. After serving a term of five years, he returned to his civilian life of education, writing and public service. He received several prestigious awards, including the Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian honour.

[h=2]Awards and honours[/h] Kalam's 79th birthday was recognised as World Student Day by the United Nations.[SUP][78][/SUP] He has also received honorary doctorates from 40 universities.[SUP][79][/SUP][SUP][80][/SUP] The Government of India has honoured him with the Padma Bhushan in 1981 and the Padma Vibhushan in 1990 for his work with ISRO and DRDO and his role as a scientific advisor to the Government.[SUP][81][/SUP] In 1997, Kalam received India's highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna, for his contribution to the scientific research and modernisation of defence technology in India.[SUP][82][/SUP] In 2005, Switzerland declared 26 May as "Science Day" to commemorate Kalam's visit to the country.[SUP][83][/SUP] In 2013, he was the recipient of the Von Braun Award from the National Space Society "to recognize excellence in the management and leadership of a space-related project."[SUP][84][/SUP]
Year of award or honourName of award or honourAwarding organisation
2014Doctor of ScienceEdinburgh University,UK[SUP][/SUP]
2012Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa)Simon Fraser University[SUP][/SUP]
2011IEEE Honorary MembershipIEEE[SUP][/SUP]
2010Doctor of EngineeringUniversity of Waterloo[SUP][/SUP]
2009Honorary DoctorateOakland University[SUP][/SUP]
2009Hoover MedalASME Foundation, USA[SUP][/SUP]
2009International von Kármán Wings AwardCalifornia Institute of Technology, USA[SUP][/SUP]
2008Doctor of Engineering (Honoris Causa)Nanyang Technological University, Singapore[SUP][/SUP]
2007Honorary Doctorate of Science and TechnologyCarnegie Mellon University[SUP][/SUP]
2007King Charles II MedalRoyal Society, UK[SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP]
2007Honorary Doctorate of ScienceUniversity of Wolverhampton, UK[SUP][/SUP]
2000Ramanujan AwardAlwars Research Centre, Chennai[SUP][/SUP]
1998Veer Savarkar AwardGovernment of India[SUP][/SUP]
1997Indira Gandhi Award for National IntegrationIndian National Congress[SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP]
1997Bharat RatnaGovernment of India[SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP]
1994Distinguished FellowInstitute of Directors (India)[SUP][/SUP]
1990Padma VibhushanGovernment of India[SUP][/SUP][SUP][/SUP]
1981Padma BhushanGovernment of India[SUP]

[/SUP][SUP][/SUP]

Please read more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._P._J._Abdul_Kalam

Punjab Roadways driver Nanak Chand saved many lives in Gurdaspur attack

July 28, 2015

0323-680x365.jpg

Dinanagar:
All three terrorists were gunned down by the forces in Gurdaspur attack on Monday following at least 12-hour long operation. In the meanwhile, the alertness and bravery of a bus driver saved several lives as terrorists launched an attack here in Punjab on Monday. Punjab Roadways driver Nanak Chand did not panic even when the terrorists fired at the bus and instead scared the terrorists by driving towards them.

As the terrorists, numbering four, moved back, the driver swerved the bus and drove it away. Since shots were fired at the bus, Nanak Chand drove it straight to a government hospital to get the injured passengers treated. He also called up the police to inform about the incident.

“There were 75 passengers in the bus. I thought that it was important to save their lives. I did not stop the bus,” Nanak Chand told journalists. The incident took place around 5.30 a.m. on Monday.

“The driver’s alertness saved several lives. Otherwise, the passengers could have been an easy target for the terrorists,” said a Punjab Roadways general manager. Nanak Chand was not the only one to save lives.

A major tragedy was averted nearby as alert villagers near Parmanand railway station spotted five bombs wired to a small bridge on the Amritsar-Pathankot railway section.

The bombs were detected minutes before a passenger train was to cross the bridge. The train was stopped 200 metres from the bombs. Railway authorities stopped all trains on the section as the army and Punjab Armed Police bomb disposal squads were called to defuse the bombs.

Seven people were killed when terrorists attacked Dinanagar town in Gurdaspur district early, sparking a gunbattle with security forces that ended hours later. All terrorists were also killed.

Kamal, a Dinanagar resident, told reporters: “The terrorists fired indiscriminately near the bus stand and then hijacked a Maruti car after injuring its driver. They later killed the Dhaba owner and went towards the police station.”

He said since the attack took place early in the morning, not too many people were present at the bus stand. “Many lives were saved since the area was barren then.”

http://indiasamvad.co.in/unsung-her...k-chand-saved-many-lives-in-gurdaspur-attack/

Mass animal sacrifice at Nepalese temple halted after Joanna Lumley campaign

Mass animal sacrifice at Nepalese temple halted after Joanna Lumley campaign

Wednesday 29 July 2015

British actress revered in Nepal as champion of the Gurkhas had condemned slaughter of hundreds of thousands of animals by pilgrims appeasing Hindu goddess

The bloody mass sacrifice of animals during a Nepalese temple festival has ended after a high-profile international campaign championed by Joanna Lumley, the British actress revered in the Himalayan nation.

nepal3_3390827b.jpg

The grounds around the Gadhimai temple 90 miles south of Kathmandu were turned into carcass-strewn slaughter-fields every five years as hundreds of thousands of animals were decapitated at the Hindu festival.

Beasts ranging in size from buffalo to chicken and mice were sacrificed to appease Gadhimai, a goddess of power, by millions of pilgrims from Nepal and India who believed the animal offerings could give them a better life.

But the temple has now announced that it will end the 300-year-old practice – the biggest animal sacrifice in the world – after years of protests by campaigners.

“The time has come to transform an old tradition,” said Ram Chandra Shah, chairman of the Gadhimai Temple Trust. “The time has come to replace killing and violence with peaceful worship and celebration. We can ensure Gadhimai 2019 is a momentous celebration of life.”

Lumley, a beloved figure in Nepal for her campaign on behalf of the Gurkhas, was an outspoken advocate for the sacrifices to stop.

nepalSUM_3390826b.jpg

In a protest outside the Nepalese embassy in London before last year’s event, she said: “I love Nepal – both the land and its people. The Gadhimai animal sacrifice festival entails horrendous animal suffering and is a complete anomaly in this wonderful country.”

In 2009, an estimated 500,000 animals were sacrificed. Those numbers dropped five years later after India’s Supreme Court prohibited animals from being taken across the border to Nepal for sacrifice.
Manoj Gautam, of Animal Welfare Network Nepal, welcomed the move, but said that campaigners would need to build public support to ensure the ban is not broken by devout pilgrims before the 2019 festival.

“There will definitely be individuals who will not appreciate this decision,” he “But I don’t see any groups or organisations coming out against this right now.”

Gauri Maulekhi, the Humane Society International activist who petitioned India's Supreme Court against the movement of animals to Nepal for the festival, said: "This is a tremendous victory for compassion that will save the lives of countless animals.

"We commend the temple committee but acknowledge that a huge task lies ahead of us in educating the public so that they are fully aware. Animal sacrifice is a highly regressive practice and no nation in the modern world should entertain it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...mple-halted-after-Joanna-Lumley-campaign.html

Good Samaritans step into traffic cops’ shoes

Good Samaritans step into traffic cops’ shoes

Bottlenecks at Viman Nagar and Airport Road junctions prompt three IT professionals to regulate traffic for hours every day

pg5_1_31.jpg

Traffic cops do not miss an opportunity to blame techies for causing jams at Hinjewadi. They are accused of driving on the wrong side, being impatient and even for being unruly. But at Viman Nagar it’s the opposite. Techies are seen putting in several hours every day to regulate traffic at the busy Viman Nagar and Airport Road junctions. Traffic snarls are a common feature there and cops are nowhere to be seen. Tired of being mute spectators, a group of techies have taken it upon themselves to clear peak hour chaos.

“We take the route to get home from work. In the evenings we come across traffic snarls. Fights between motorists are common. It’s a pity that traffic cops are nowhere in sight. Instead of just moving on, we decided to do something about it,” said Vishal Trivedi, a 36-year-old employee of an IT company based out of Viman Nagar. He is joined by his colleague, Ravi Kumar T, 30, and Ranjit Sawale, 40.

While Vishal and Ravi work with PCB Apps LLC, Ravi works with IBM. Vishal hails from Indore and has been living in Pune for the past few months. Similarly, Ravi moved to Pune from Andhra Pradesh only three months ago. Ranjit is a local.

“It used to be absolutely chaotic in the evenings. Motorists would honk incessantly. Everybody was in a hurry to clear the four-way junction. In the confusion that ensued, there were times when vehicles wouldn’t move an inch for several minutes in any of the directions,” said Ravi, who walks back to his company guest house not too far from his workplace.

Realising that situation would only get worse and banking on traffic cops to sort out the mess was a bad idea, the techies have now taken on the mantle. On Wednesday evening, The Golden Sparrow team spotted the three techies regulating traffic for over two hours at the junction.

Seeing them, Sunil Tikone, an auto rickshaw driver and Raju Mhaske, a taxi driver, also joined in. “Traffic jams here are a regular feature. I wish there was a better way to sort out this situation. I saw the three of them (techies) doing their bit and decided to join in,” said Sunil, who carries a whistle with him.

The five of them put together took a road each, while one of them stood at the centre. They would let vehicles on every road pass in turns. This ensured that there was no chaos at the junction.

Interestingly, the day happened to be Ranjit’s 40th birthday. “I would get home, cut a cake and celebrate my birthday with my family. But this is more important than my party. I just couldn’t bear the thought of thousands of motorists wasting their precious hours,” said Ranjit.

The five of them called off their mission for the day only at 9 pm when traffic had thinned. “Now this has become a habit. Each time we see a snarl here, we just take over. We are just doing our bit for society,” concluded Ravi.

Their popularity is growing by the day. Motorists who disobey the traffic volunteers are promptly pulled up by local hoodlums, who prefer to sit on the side and watch.

http://thegoldensparrow.com/news/good-samaritans-step-into-traffic-cops-shoes/

ராமேஸ்வரத்தில் விடிய விடிய உணவு சேவை வழங

ராமேஸ்வரத்தில் விடிய விடிய உணவு சேவை வழங்கும் ஸ்ரீராமகிருஷ்ண மடம்.

அமரர் அப்துல்கலாம் அவர்களுக்கு அஞ்சலி செலுத்த வந்த பொதுமக்கள் , அரசியல் கட்சியினர் , காவல்துறையினர் , அரசு அலுவலர்கள் என பலரும் பசியாறி செல்கின்றனர்.
மடத்தின் நிர்வாகி சுவாமி சாரதானந்தா அவர்கள் கண் துஞ்சாமல் இருந்து இந்த சேவையை வழிநடத்துகிறார்கள்.

11694850_879055625496608_8932887526799284818_n.jpg

Source: FB

Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack

Swansea-Jack-300x300.jpg

Swansea Jack was a black retriever born in 1930. He lived in the North Dock / River Tawe area of Swansea with his master, William Thomas.

Jack would always respond to cries for help from the water. His first rescue, in June 1931, when he saved a 12 year old boy, went unreported. But a few weeks later, in front of a crowd, Jack rescued a swimmer from the docks. His photograph appeared in the local paper and the local council awarded him a silver collar.

Numerous awards followed including ‘Bravest Dog of the Year’ and a silver cup. He is the ONLY dog awarded TWO bronze medals (the canine VC) by the National Canine Defence League. Legend has it that Jack saved 27 people in his lifetime. Sadly, in 1937, he died after eating rat poison.

His publicly-funded memorial stands on the Promenade near St.Helen’s Rugby Ground. In 2000, Swansea Jack was named ‘Dog of the Century’ by NewFound Friends of Bristol who train domestic dogs in aquatic rescue techniques.

Jack may have lent his name to the nickname for local people – Swansea Jacks.

http://www.swanseamuseum.co.uk/swansea-a-brief-history/the-sea/swansea-jack

Abandoned by her husband, she chose to nurture thousands of orphans – Meet Sindhutai

Abandoned by her husband, she chose to nurture thousands of orphans – Meet Sindhutai

May 28, 2015

sindhutai-sapkal.jpg

Sindhutai Sapkal, also known as Mother of Orphans, is an Indian social worker and social activist known particularly for her work for raising orphan children. Fondly called Mai (mother), Sindhutai Sapkal is credited with adopting and nurturing over 1,400 orphans, helping them get an education, married, and settled in life. Many of the children that she adopted are well educated lawyers and doctors, and some, including her biological daughter are running their independent orphanages. One of her child is doing a PhD on her life.

Nicknamed ‘Chindhi’ meaning torn cloth, she was an unwanted daughter from a very poor family. Her family was too poor to buy her a slate for school. So, she learned to write using thorns on thick leaves. She was married at the age of ten, to a man three times her age. A victim of domestic violence, Sindhutai Sapkal had a difficult marriage and gave birth to three sons by the time she turned 20.

Sindhutai was abandoned by her husband when she was nine months pregnant with her fourth child. Her baby was born in a cow shed and she had to cut the umbilical cord with a sharp rock. Sindhutai went to her family for support but was refused shelter. Deterred but not defeated, she started begging on railway platforms to feed her newborn daughter. She thought about suicide, but chose not to.

When I was out myself on the streets begging for food and fighting for survival each day, I realized that there are so many orphans who have nobody to go to. I decided to take care of them and raise them as my own.

When she was a beggar, she began to connect with the many, many orphan children in the street. She was shocked to see the numerous abandoned children struggling for survival and she resolved to take care of them as her own. It became her mission in life to care for these children, and that she did, working as hard as she could and finding support wherever possible along the way. Today, Sindhutai Sapkal is a proud mother nurturing over a thousand destitute children, providing them with food, shelter and most importantly love.

If I wasn’t there for my baby, she would have met the same fate as the rest of the abandoned children on the street. I know how it feels when you are left alone. So, when I came across children who needed help, I knew I must do something for them and I’m proud that I could be a mother to some of them.

Sindhutai Sapkal donated her biological daughter to a trust, only to eliminate the feeling of partiality between her daughter and the adopted ones. At the age of 80, her husband came back to her apologetically. She accepted him as her child stating she is only a mother now, proudly and very affectionately introduces him as her oldest child.

Till date she is honoured with more than 273 awards for her compassion and dedication. All the money she gets from these awards is used to build orphanages and care for more children. Sindhutai Sapkal’s work is totally backed and funded by private donations and other help from various walks of life.

The Marathi film ‘Mee Sindhutai Sapkal’ released in 2010, is a biopic inspired by the true story of Sindhutai Sapkal. The film was selected for world premiere at the 54th London Film Festival.

It is not necessary that a woman who gave you birth will be your only mother; a mother can be someone who adopts you and takes proper care of you. Sindhutai Sapkal has proved that a mother’s love has no cost. She poured out her motherly love and affection on orphans, she took them under her wings, she gave them food and shelter in whatever way she could.

The Enigmatic charisma of Sindhutai Sapkal makes her an inspiration for most of us, especially women, who are scared of society, people and their perception. The measures and travails of her own life never let her spirit down. Sindhutai Sapkal truly epitomizes the fact that victory lies ahead of our fears.

http://achhikhabre.com/sindhutai-sapkal-mother-orphan-children/

Indian Air Force Saves Two Lives By Flying Organs From Pune To Delhi

Indian Air Force Saves Two Lives By Flying Organs From Pune To Delhi

31/07/2015

Last week, the Indian Air Force (IAF) saved the lives of two people by employing one of its special aircraft to transport organs from Pune to Delhi.

The organs were made available on July 26 when Ganesh, the son of a 45-year-old woman who was declared brain dead in Pune, decided to donate her organs. One of her kidneys was used in Pune at the Armed Forced Medical College and Command hospital, and the other along with her liver was transported to Delhi.

After a speedy completion of paperwork, a green corrider was created at Wanowrie (where the hospital is located), and the vehicle carrying the organs reached the airport in eight minutes.

One of IAFs fastest jets delivered the kidney and liver in Delhi for two patients within an hour and a half. The aircraft left Pune at 11:20 pm and reached Delhi at 40 minutes past midnight. "We started the surgery as soon as the organs arrived,” said Colonel PP Rao, the head of the liver transplantation unit at Army Research and Referral hospital, New Delhi. Rao said the normal travel time in any passenger aircraft was over two hours.

The quick delivery ensured that the two patients -- one a 56-year old serviceman with liver cancer, and a jawan diagnosed with kidney failure – was operated on successfully. Sarvade’s other organs have also been donated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/07/31/indian-air-force-organ-de_n_7908872.html

Honest, old man finds Rs 90,000 on the streets, returns it to the police

Honest, old man finds Rs 90,000 on the streets, returns it to the police

Jul 31, 2015

The world isn't all that bad, there are a few good people out there. One poor, old man in Isanagar, who is probably in more urgent need of money more than most people, found Rs 90,000 in cash on the road. Not only did he not run away with it, but he went to a police station and returned the entire sum.

11209708_1428139047490893_3.jpg

Police rewards old man for his honesty. Facebook

According to a report in The Logical Indian, Durgesh, a resident of Isanagar, withdrew Rs 90,000 from the bank and put it in the trunk of his car. The money fell out while he was traveling on an uneven road.

The old man found the wad of cash and took it straight to the police station. Meanwhile, Durgesh had noticed that the money was missing and had lodged a complaint at the police station.

When the old man walked into the station and returned the money, the police could not help but be in awe of his honesty. They took the old man to their headquarters where Captain Arvind Sen rewarded the man with Rs 7,000, a dhoti and a kurta for his honesty.

Finding Rs 90,000 on the streets would be a windfall for most. But the old man's honesty in returning every penny even under poor living conditions, is an example for all to follow.

Even though they may live in the shadows, we haven't run out of white knights.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/hone...streets-returns-it-to-the-police-2373858.html

Ashwin honoured with Arjuna award

Ashwin honoured with Arjuna award

August 29, 2014

160953.2.jpg

India offspinner R Ashwin has been conferred the Arjuna award, an Indian government honour to recognise outstanding achievement in national sport. Ashwin has been India's lead spinner in limited-overs in recent years and was also the quickest bowler to 100 Test wickets since 1931.

The awards were presented by the Indian president Pranab Mukherjee at the Rashtrapathi Bhavan in New Delhi on Friday, but Ashwin was not present for the ceremony as he is currently with the Indian team on the England tour.
The Arjuna awards were instituted in 1961, and 47 Indian cricketers have been honoured with it since. The award consists of a statuette, a certificate, a ceremonial dress, and a cash award of Rs 5 lakhs (around $8250). At least one cricketer has been conferred the award in each of the last six years, with Virat Kohli winning it in 2013.

One of the main criterion for being eligible for the awards is that the sportsperson should "not only have good performance over the previous four years at the international level but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/775393.html

Breakers Of Their Own Destiny - Indian Women Who Fight Adversity With Courage

Breakers Of Their Own Destiny - Indian Women Who Fight Adversity With Courage

July 31, 2015

Widows of Vrindavan

widows-12_1438344812.jpg

widows vrindavan

Close ups of a beauty parlour staffed by former "untouchable" women

untouchables-2_1438344842.jpg

untouchable women india

Third gender women go shopping

abheena-and-amitava-5_1438344910.jpg

Manju from Varanasi educates the kids of sex workers, running a boat school on the Varanasi ghats

manju-varanasi-1-1_1438344943.jpg

Pascal Mannaerts

Sheela educates 22 mentally challenged adolescents, working for the day when they become independent

sheela-ji-disabled-1_1438344978.jpg

Pascal Mannaerts

These friends call themselves 'fighters' instead of victims of acid attacks

stop-a-a-8_1438345176.jpg

Pascal Mannaerts’

purple-acid-6_1438345271.jpg

Pascal Mannaerts

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...-who-fight-adversity-with-courage-243677.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back