• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Motivational Stories from various Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saudi prince giving away all his money

Saudi prince giving away all his money

The high-flying royal, who sued Forbes for ‘underestimating’ his fortune just years before handing it all to charity, seems to defy the cliches of a Saudi magnate

Alwaleed bin Talal and his then wife, Princess Ameera, in 2010. The Saudi prince is giving away most of his wealth.

Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images
Read more from here

http://www.theguardian.com/business...et-the-saudi-prince-giving-away-all-his-money

Attachments

• Saudi Prince.jpg
    Saudi Prince.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 292
India’s Top Philanthropists, Azim Premji Remains Most Charitable Indian!

India’s Top Philanthropists, Azim Premji Remains Most Charitable Indian!

January 6, 2015

Azim Premji, the tech tycoon and Wipro chairman, has been named as the ‘Most charitable person in India’ by Shanghai (China) based Hurun Research Institute for the second year in a row. Having donated a staggeringly huge Rs 12,316 crore to his Azim Premji Foundation during April 2013- October 2104 period, he clearly towers above all others who find a mention on the Hurun India Philanthropy List 2014.

Hurun Research Institute had come up with a similar list of philanthropists last year too wherein they had included the names of all the generous people and organizations in the country which had donated over Rs 10 crore for charitable purposes. As against 31 people who were mentioned in the list during the previous report, the list has become bigger this year and includes 50 people. 27 out of these 50 are new faces.

Donations were measured by the research firm by the value of their cash or cash equivalent for an 18 month period beginning April 1, 2013 and ending October 31, 2014.

It “includes cash and cash equivalents pledged with legally binding commitments for the period and includes significant donations ($16.7 million) up to the date of publication. It included donations made by companies in which an individual had a significant share, by applying the percentage the individual has of the company on the donations.”

Realizing that educating the masses is the best way to empower them and to put the country on the fast track to development, Indian philanthropists have donated most generously to the Education sector– a total of Rs 15,791 cr being pumped into it. Nearly 80% of the total donated amount went towards this sector.

That was followed by Rural Development (Rs 2,333 cr), Healthcare (Rs 1,447 cr) and Environmental Protection (Rs 12 cr).

Anil Agarwal of the London-listed Vedanta Resources comes a distant second with a donation of Rs 1,796 cr most of which was towards social and rural development. Shiv Nadar, the HCL chairman, is placed third on the list with a donation of Rs 1,316 cr.

11 of the 50 most generous people from the country live outside its shores. Five of these made their donations in India.

37 of the philanthropists being mentioned on the list (74%) are self-made as compared to 21 (68%) over the period covered by the previous report.

With founders Nandan Nilekani (with wife Rohini) and Kris Gopalakrishnan placed at number six and nine, Infosys has the highest number of philanthropists in the top ten.

The north-south divide is too palpable to be ignored, the people from the southern part of the country donating almost five times (Rs 13,300 cr) as much as their northern counterparts.

With 15 generous people, Mumbai emerges as the most generous city in the country followed by Bengaluru (8) and Delhi (6).

The average age of philanthropists in India has come down to 56 years as compared to 63 years over the last year.

Ashish Dhawan (45) of Central Square Foundation is the youngest philanthropist on the list; oldest being Pallonji Mistry (85) of Shapoorji Pallonji.

Women entrepreneurs are also stepping forward. Anu Aga donated Rs 14 cr individually while joint donations by Savitri Jindal, Rohini Nilekani, Zarina Screwvala and Yasmin Gupta aggregated to Rs 987 cr.

Leading cardiologists Vijay and Khushman Sanghvi who have donated Rs 12 cr towards medical research together with hedge fund manager Ashish Dhawan “are seen to be unleashing a new wave of philanthropy in the country.”

Bollywood celebrities Shahrukh Khan and Salman Khan are also mentioned on the list. While Shahrukh’s Red Chilies Entertainment donated Rs 25 cr towards social and rural development Salman Khan’s Being Human donated Rs 11 cr towards healthcare.

As mentioned in an earlier article here, 0.2% of the world’s population holds and controls 34% of the total wealth. And while the overall rate of growth is lower, the assets of these people grew at an impressive 14.7% over last year. Which means that not only are a very few people holding disproportionately large assets, they are getting richer by the day.

The increase in the number of philanthropists and the amounts donated by them therefore bring a huge smile to the faces of every discerning Indian. It is nice to see the super-rich loosen their purse strings and show concern for humanitarian causes.

Globally too, those with deep pockets have been seen to donate open heartedly for causes they connect to, Microsoft founder owner Bill Gates and Facebook owner- CEO Mark Zuckerberg being the most worthy examples.

“I strongly believe that those of us who are privileged to have wealth should contribute significantly to try and create a better world for the millions who are far less privileged. I will continue to act on this belief,” Premji had said earlier.

Anil Agarwal of Vedanta has already pledged to donate 75% of his family’s wealth towards charitable causes while HCL chairman Nadar has committed $1 billion towards educating people from the under privileged sections of the society.

Interestingly, only one of the flamboyant Ambani brothers is seen on the list. Thought he elder brother Mukesh Ambani is placed fifth on the list with donations to the tune of Rs 603 cr towards education, his sibling Anil Ambani is notable by absence.
Hurun India List.

http://trak.in/tags/business/2015/01/06/india-top-philanthropists-azim-premji/

Young at heart, 86-year-old gets his DLitt from Raj Univ

Young at heart, 86-year-old gets his DLitt from Raj Univ

Jul 8, 2015,

JAIPUR: As 86-year-old Narayan Lal Kankar walked towards the podium in a white kurta pyjama, there was a huge round of applause and everyone, including governor Kalyan Singh, was surprised to see him. Kankar was a proud scholar as he got his DLitt in Sanskrit on Tuesday at the convocation ceremony organised by the University of Rajasthan after 25 years. Another interesting thing was that his student, 34-year-old Jayshree, was also conferred a PhD on the work done by him in the Sanskrit language.

After elated Kankar came out with his DLitt which he completed in 2011, he was surprised to see many photographers and cameramen vying to click his photos.

"Itni photo to shaadi main bhi nahin khinchi thee (So many photos were not even clicked in my wedding)," he remarked.

"Had it (DLitt) been granted on time, I would have missed the opportunity to share it with this girl, Jayshree, who has done her doctorate on my work in Sanskrit," he said.

On his reading and writing skills at this age, he said, "I drink neither tea nor coffee. I also don't smoke or consume pan masala. I am only addicted to reading and writing," said Kankar who got his PhD in Sanskrit in 1974 and has written and edited at least 70 books on Sanskrit language and its grammar.

Talking about his daily routine and the spark that keeps him going, Kankar said, "Since my father Nawal Kishore Kankar was an associate professor in Sanskrit language at Rashtriya Ayurveda Sansthan, I was always inclined towards the language. My father got retired in 1960. I think the habit of reading and writing is the biggest stress buster. If you keep yourself busy in that, you will keep yourself away from agony, fear and other negative elements in life."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...DLitt-from-Raj-Univ/articleshow/47979962.cms?

Azim Premji gives half of his stake in Wipro for charity

Azim Premji gives half of his stake in Wipro for charity

July 8, 2015

Economic value is sustainable only if created on a foundation of ethics and responsibility, say the IT czar

IT czar Azim Premji has given away almost half of his stake holding in Wipro, India’s third largest exporter of software services, to philanthropy.

The Wipro’s billionaire founder has given away an additional 18 per cent of his stake in the IT Company for charity, thus earmarking 39 per cent of stake (worth Rs 53,284 crore) for a charitable trust.
The latest philanthrophic initiative by Premji would pump in an additional Rs 530 crore by way of dividends into the Azim Premji Trust’s corpus this year.

69-year old Premji is the first Indian to sign the Giving Pledge, sponsored by billionaires Warren Buffett and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates to invite the world’s wealthiest to donate majority of their wealth to charity.

“Over the past fifteen years, I have tried to put this belief into action through my personal philanthropic work...,” Mr. Premji said in a letter to shareholders published in the company’s annual report for the year ended March 2015.

Mr. Premji said, “Over these years I have irrevocably transferred a significant part of the shareholding in Wipro, amounting to 39 per cent of the shares of Wipro, to a Trust (of which ownership in 21.14 per cent was transferred and for the balance the Trust is entitled to beneficial interest of dividends and sale proceeds).”

The previously transferred 21 per cent stake was estimated at USD 4.3 billion. The promoter group led by Mr. Premji holds 73.39 per cent stake in Wipro.

Mr. Premji was considered the ‘most generous Indian’ of 2014 according to the Hurun India Philanthropy List.

He said the Trust supports the work of The Azim Premji Foundation and Azim Premji Philanthropic Initiative and thus a very significant part of the value created by Wipro, goes towards social causes.

Mr. Premji also stated in the report that economic value is sustainable only if created on a foundation of ethics and responsibility.

“For us, this is the driving force in the form of our values and is something that we will continue to remain completely committed to,” he added.

The company’s Social and Sustainability Initiatives are driven by the conviction that corporations should play a significant role in contributing to building a better society, Mr. Premji said.

“The owners — individuals or other entities — of such corporations can do a lot more for society, because they can choose to exercise the right of their ownership, and invest their wealth in any social cause, to their utmost,” he said.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/it-cza...-for-charity/article7399577.ece?homepage=true

How a Locality in Bangalore was Transformed from a Garbage Dump to a Clean Strip

How a Locality in Bangalore was Transformed from a Garbage Dump to a Clean Strip

Gagan Nandi, a 24-year old, kickstarted a cleanliness drive which has turned Basavanagudi from a garbage dump to an area with neat and clean corners. Know more about this amazing cleanliness drive. -

Every morning, as Gagan Nandi left for work, he would see the same sight — people throwing garbage on the roadside — making the locality more of a dumping ground than a place to live.

Highly inspired by PM Modi’s Swachha Bharat Abhiyaan, this 24-year old HR professional then decided to take matters into his own hands and started a cleanliness drive in his locality.

A few like-minded people joined him in his mission and they came up with the project “6 wards, 6 weeks”, where the team of good samaritans would clean up one area in each ward of Basavanagudi every Sunday. -

Please read more and see the pictures

from here

http://www.thebetterindia.com/25879...paign=Feed:+TheBetterIndia+(The+Better+India)

Teacher wins Guinness title for recalling 270-digit sequence

Teacher wins Guinness title for recalling 270-digit sequence

teacherss.jpg

The 36-year-old can speak Italian, Spanish, French, German and Portuguese. (TOI photo)

Jul 8, 2015

COIMBATORE: For a decade, Aravind P was a tourist guide in Italy. His pursuit to learn European languages introduced him to several memory-developing techniques. That may have got him the job of a foreign language teacher in the city, but the best reward came in the form of his most proud possession now - his Guinness World Record for memorising the longest binary sequence of 270 digits.

Aravind received his certificate from the Guinness authorities last week.

The 36-year-old can speak Italian, Spanish, French, German and Portuguese. "I had to learn the languages as quickly as possible because it would help me guide more tourists. So, to improve my learning abilities, I had to develop my memory," said Aravind. After returning to India, Aravind started researching about records related to memory. "I then came across this record for memorising the longest binary digit sequence. The record was then held by Jayasimha Ravirala of Hyderabad, who memorised 264 digits in one minute in March 2011," he said.

Aravind registered with the Guinness World Records in March 2014. In October 2014, Guinness had set the criteria for Aravind's attempt to break Jayasimha's record. On April 3, 2015 Arvaind attempted the record and Guinness had appointed Dr D Srinivasan, psychiatrist from Kovai Medical Centre and Hospitals and R Prakasam, principal of PPG College of Technology as jury to witness it. The random binary sequence was generated by 123coimbatore.com. R Prakasam said, "Aravind was given one minute to observe the binary sequence, and was then asked to shut his eyes and recall the sequence. There was no time limit set for recalling the sequence," he said. It is a great achievement for an Indian."

Aravind began attempting to break the record at 10.30am in front of 270 people, and failed in four attempts. In his fifth attempt, Aravind broke the record by recalling six more digits than Jayasimha. His memory-enhancing technique is called 'Journey Method', where he replaces alphabets or numbers with objects.

Aravind wants to start a memory club and spread his memory-enhancing techniques to students and youth who will be appearing for board exams and competitive exams.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...g-270-digit-sequence/articleshow/47980162.cms

How One Man Helped Rescue 57 Child Labourers in New Delhi -

How One Man Helped Rescue 57 Child Labourers in New Delhi -

July 10, 2015

This man, who was once a child labourer himself, informed the child helpline about at least 57 children who were working at Azadpur Mandi in New Delhi. Have you ever been in a bad situation, then got out of it, and helped others facing the same obstacle? That's exactly what this man did.

Once a child labourer himself, he very well understood the woes of children who are forced into the practice and that was evident on Tuesday, when he called up the child helpline to inform about kids who were working at Azadpur Mandi of New Delhi. The police rescued at least 57 children in the age group of 5-16 years from the there - 16 of them were girls.

This rescue operation was led by the NGO Prayas and the local police. Coincidentally, they also reunited two siblings during the rescue. A six year old girl, while playing, recognized her brother at the NGO who had been living there for quite some time. Most of the children had entered the practice because of their parents and were presented before the Child Welfare Committee. Until the families can be traced, they will continue living at the NGO. Only three of the 57 had been going to school up until now. One of them told The Times of India, "My mother has asked me to help her in business. I carry gunny bags for her. If she is not well, I sit at our shop as well and help her." She went to school in morning and worked with her mother in the afternoon. One of them was even facing the chances of a child marriage, but she is glad that she does not have to get married now. They are in safe hands now, all thanks to a man who understood and took the necessary steps.

http://buzz.thebetterindia.com/post/123709204314/how-one-man-helped-rescue-57-child-labourers-in

பத்து ரூபாய் டாக்டர்...

பத்து ரூபாய் டாக்டர்...

10 July 1015

உடம்புக்கு முடியாமல் போனால் டாக்டரிடம் காண்பிக்கும் பழக்கம் கொஞ்ச காலத்திற்கு முன் வரை இருந்தது ஆனால் இப்போது முடிந்த வரை நமக்கு நாமே பாணி வைத்தியத்திலும் அது முடியாமல் போகும் போது மருந்து கடைக்காரர்கள் ஆலோசனையின் அடிப்படையிலும் வைத்தியத்தை தேடிக்கொள்கிறார்கள்.

இதற்கு காரணம் இன்றைய தேதிக்கு டாக்டர்களிடம் கன்சல்டிங் என்று போனால் ஆயிரம் ரூபாய்க்கு குறைவின்றி செலவு வந்துவிடுகிறது, அதே டாக்டர் ஆஸ்பத்திரி வைத்திருந்தால் எக்ஸ்ரே ஸ்கேன் இசிஜி என்று பணம் பஞ்சாய் பறக்கும்

இப்படிப்பட்ட காலகட்டத்தில் ஒரு எம்பிபிஎஸ் படித்த, பல ஆண்டு அனுபவம் உள்ள டாக்டர் ஒருவர் வரக்கூடிய பேஷண்ட்களிடம் பத்து ரூபாய்க்கு மேல் கன்சல்டிங் வாங்குவதில்லை என்பதில் உறுதியாக இருந்து வருகிறார்.

gallerye_161537771_1293139.jpg

யார் அவர்? என்ற உங்கள் கேள்விக்கு விடை காண தென்காசிக்கு(திருநெல்வேலி மாவட்டம்) பயணம் செல்லவேண்டும்.

தென்காசியில் உள்ள புகழ்பெற்ற பழமையான குலசேகரநாதர் கோவில் தெருவில் கிளினிக் வைத்து நடத்திவருகிறார் டாக்டர் கே.ராமசாமி.தென்காசி பஸ் நிலையத்தில் இற்ங்கி பத்து ரூபாய் டாக்டரை பார்க்கவேண்டும் என்றால் போதும் எந்த ஆட்டோக்காரராக இருந்தாலும் கொண்டு போய் அவரது கிளினிக்கில் இறக்கிவிடுவர் அந்த அளவிற்கு பிரபலமாகி உள்ளார்.

நான் போகும் போது கிளினிக் பூட்டியிருந்தது.' டாக்டரய்யா வீட்டிலேதான் இருப்பார்கள் வாங்க' என்று அடுத்த தெருவில் இருந்த டாக்டர் வீட்டிற்கே கொண்டு போய் ஆட்டோக்காரர் இறக்கிவிட்டார்.

சின்ன வீடு எளிமையாக காணப்பட்டது, டாக்டரின் துணைவியார் பகவதி அன்போடு வரவேற்றார் வீட்டின் உள்அறையில் இருந்து 'வாங்கோ' என்று வாய்நிறைய சிரிப்போடும் வரவேற்றபடி வந்தார் டாக்டர்.

அறிமுக சம்பிரதாயம் எல்லாம் முடிந்த பிறகு, இண்டர்நெட் பேஷ்புக் ஸ்மார்ட் போன் என்றெல்லாம் இல்லாமலம் வாழும் என் எளிய வாழ்க்கைக்கு ஒரு நோயாளியிடம் பத்து ரூபாய் வாங்கினால் போதும் என்று நினைப்பதால் பத்து ரூபாய் வாங்கிக்கொண்டு இருக்கிறேன், அதற்கு எதற்கு விளம்பரம் எல்லாம் என்று கூச்சப்பட்டார்.

இது விளம்பரம் அல்ல மருத்துவத்தை மகத்துவமாக பார்க்கும் உங்களை போன்றவர்களை அடையாளம் காட்டுவது எங்கள் கடமை என்ற பிறகு பேசஆரம்பித்தார்.

நான் திருநெல்வேலி மருத்துவக்கல்லுாரியில் எம்பிபிஎஸ்ம் சென்னையில் மேற்படிப்பும் படித்தேன் படித்து முடித்த உடனேயே அரசு ஆஸ்பத்திரியில் மருத்துவராக வேலை. பல ஊர்களில் வேலை பார்த்துவிட்டேன் தென்காசி வந்த பிறகு ஊர் பிடித்துப்போனதால் இங்கேயே ஒரு வீட்டை வாங்கி நிரந்தரமாக இருந்துவிட்டேன், வேறு ஊர்களுக்கு டிரான்ஸ்பர் என்ற போது கூட இங்கிருந்து போய்விட்டு திரும்பிவிடுவேன்.

ஒரே மகள் திருமணம் செய்து கொடுத்த பிறகு என்னுடைய தேவைகள் குறைந்துவிட்டது அதற்கு மேல் என் துணைவியார் போதும் என்ற மனமே பொன் செய்யும் மருந்து என்ற வார்த்தைக்கு வாழ்க்கை கொடுத்துகொண்டு இருப்பவர். இந்த நிலையில் அரசு பணி வேண்டாம் என்று விட்டுவிட்டு தென்காசியில் சிறிதாக கிளினிக் வைத்து மக்களுக்கான மருத்துவத்தை தொடர்கிறேன்.

கிளினிக் காலை பத்து மணியில் இருந்து ஒரு மணிவரையிலும் பின் மாலை ஐந்து மணியில் இருந்து இரவு ஒன்பது மணிவரையிலும் திறந்து இருக்கும்.தென்காசியில் இருந்து மட்டுமல்லாது சுற்றுப்புறத்தில் உள்ள கிராமமக்கள் பலரும் என்னை தேடி வருவார்கள்.நான் நோயின் தன்மைக்கேற்ப ஆலோசனைகளை வழங்கி மருந்து மாத்திரைகளை எழுதிதருவேன்.பெரும்பாலும் ஒருமுறை நான் எழுதிதரும் மருந்து மாத்திரைகளிலேயே நோய் சரியாகிவிடும் அதன்பிறகு வந்தால் நன்றி சொல்லதான் வருவார்கள்.

இப்படித்தான் கடந்த 33 வருடங்களாக இயங்கிக்கொண்டு இருக்கிறேன், இப்போது எனக்கு வயது அறுபத்தாறு ஆகிறது.எனது அனுபவமும் படிப்பும் மக்களுக்கு உதவட்டுமே என்ற மனநிலைதான் எனக்கு, ஒரு போதும் மருத்துவத்தை காசாக்கி பார்க்க விரும்பியது இல்லை. இலவசமாக பார்த்தால் ஒரு மரியாதை இருக்காது என்பதால் இந்த பத்து ரூபாய் வாங்குகிறேன் அது கூட எனது உதவியாளர்களுக்கான சம்பளம் கொடுக்கவேண்டும் என்பதற்காகவே.

ஆரம்பத்தில் ஒரு ரூபாய்தான் வாங்கிக்கொண்டு இருந்தேன் ரொம்பகாலம் அதுதான் ஒடிக்கொண்டு இருந்தது பிறகு எனக்கு உதவியாளர்கள் நியமித்தபிறகுதான் பத்து ரூபாயானது அந்த பத்து ரூபாயைக்கூட நான் கையில் வாங்குவது இல்லை கிளினிக் பக்கத்தில் உள்ள மருந்து கடையில் மருந்து வாங்கும்போது கடைக்காரர்கள் டாக்டர் பீஸ் பத்து ரூபாய் எடுத்துக்கொள்ளலாமா? எனகேட்டு எடுத்துக்கொள்வார்கள் அதுவும் இல்லை என்றாலும் பரவாயில்லை அடுத்த முறை முடிந்தால் கொடுங்கள் என்று சொல்லி அனுப்பிவிடுவார்கள் இதுதான் என்கதை என்றவர் கிளினிக்கிற்கு நேரமாச்சு கிளம்பலாமா? என்றவர் கூடவே நானும் கிளம்பினேன்.

வீட்டிலிருந்து நடந்தே கிளினிக்கிற்கு வருகிறார் வழியில் பார்க்கக்கூடிய பலரும் வணக்கம் டாக்டர் என மிகுந்த மரியாதையுடன் வணக்கம் செலுத்துகின்றனர் பதிலுக்கு வணக்கத்தையும் சிலரிடம் வாஞ்சையுடன் உடல் நலனையும் விசாரித்தபடி கிளினிக்கை அடைகிறார்.

கிளினிக் என்பது வீட்டைவிட மிக எளிமையாக இருக்கிறது,இரண்டு சிறிய அறைகள் கொண்ட பழமையான வாடகை கட்டிடம்.டாக்டர் வந்ததும் நோயாளிகள் வரிசைக்கிரமமாக அவரைப்பார்த்து தங்கள் குறைகளை சொல்லி மருத்துவ ஆலோசனை பெறுகின்றனர் நோயாளிகளிடம் அவர் பேசும் அந்த அன்பிலும் அக்கறையிலுமே பாதி நோய் குணமானதாக நோயாளிகள் உணர்கிறார்கள்.

டாக்டர் தோல் சிகிச்சையில் மேற்படிப்பு படித்தவர் என்பதால் பொது மற்றும் தோல் சிகிச்சை தொடர்பான நிறைய நோயாளிகள் அன்றைக்கு வந்திருந்தனர்.மேலும் நிறைய பேர் காத்துக்கொண்டிருந்தனர் அவர்களது மருத்துவத்திற்கு இடையூறாக இல்லாமல் டாக்டரிடம் இருந்து விடைபெற்றேன்.

டாக்டரிடம் பேசவிரும்புவர்கள் அவரது வீட்டு லேண்ட் லைனில் (கிளினிக் நேரம் தவிர்த்து) தொடர்பு கொள்ளவும் எண்:04633-224922.
http://www.dinamalar.com/news_detail.asp?id=1293139

Last edited:
8 Ways Malala Has Made the World Better for Women

8 Ways Malala Has Made the World Better for Women

Since the attempt on her life, Malala has been an unstoppable advocate for children's education, specifically the education of girls, as well as gender equality.

As Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, said during the morning's announcement, "Despite her youth, Malala Yousafzai, has already fought for several years for the right of girls to education and has shown by example that children and young people too can contribute to improving their own situations. This she has done under the most dangerous circumstances. Through her heroic struggle she has become a leading spokesperson for girls' rights to education."

In an era increasingly awash in newly minted celebrity feminists, Malala is the real deal. The Nobel committee's decision is an encouraging step towards a new age of global consciousness about gender equality. Arguably, not since the likes of Hillary Clinton's 1996 statement that "women's rights are human rights" has someone so embodied the spirit of worldwide feminism.
Here are eight of the many ways Malala has made the world a better place for women:
1. She knows that girls' rights are human rights.

Through her composure, intelligence and advocacy, Malala has proven that girls demand respect, and they demand human rights. The importance of elevating this perspective was highlighted by the Girl Declaration, which outlines the policy and cultural changes necessary for girls to attain human rights and which Malala signed along with dozens of other important thinkers and advocates from around the globe.

"I have a name and it's not anonymous or insignificant or unworthy waiting to be called," the declaration reads in part. "This is the moment when my rising no longer scares you. This is the moment when being a girl became my strength, my sanctuary not my pain."

2. She advocates for women as peacemakers; the politics of feminism should not driven by hate or revenge.

Malala has never intimated violence as the solution or advocated for revenge against those who tried to do her harm. "I do not even hate the Talib who shot me," she told the UN General Assembly in 2013. "Even if there is a gun in my hand and he stands in front of me. I would not shoot him. ... This is what my soul is telling me, be peaceful and love everyone."

OGIyZmM3MmI3NiMvcDRMZ2E2RldKTVZyNGRJcC1vZElQQWRfM25FPS8zM3g2MzozOTQ1eDI1MzQvODQweDUzMC9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApL2h0dHA6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvNzBoZmwxaHBndW5yanl0NDM4YmFnZ2VocG1mMWs5cXFhb250dW5rbzc3ZGxxZmxvMnc0emh5ZW1wYjlmY3NnOC5qcGc=.jpg

Source: Olamikan Gbemiga/AP 3. She shows that women care about other women.

Malala's travels around the world, specifically her visits to Nigeria this year to highlight Boko Haram's abduction of dozens of young girls, have demonstrated how women can be each others greatest champions.

"I am focusing on women's rights and girls' education because they are suffering the most," Malala began her UN speech. "There was a time when women social activists asked men to stand up for their rights. But, this time, we will do it by ourselves. I am not telling men to step away from speaking for women's rights rather I am focusing on women to be independent to fight for themselves."
But she is not only leading through her words. Indeed, Malala celebrated her 17th birthday with some of the girls who had escaped Boko Haram and are now back home in the village of Chibok. She also spoke with Nigeria's president, Goodluck Jonathan, who promised to ensure the rest of the kidnapped girls' safe return.

Source: YouTube 4. She works for the rights of all girls to receive an education.

During her UN speech Malala directly asked all "developed nations to support the expansion of educational opportunities for girls in the developing world."

"Education is our right," she reiterates in her memoir, I Am Malala. "Just as it is our right to sing. Islam has given us this right and says that every girl and boy should go to school. The Quran says we should seek knowledge, study hard and learn the mysteries of our world."

5. She highlights how education can lift girls out of poverty.

Malala understands how education can change the lives of girls and women, enabling them with the tools and resources to find jobs and become economically self-sufficient.

"Education is the best weapon we have to fight poverty, ignorance and terrorism," she wrote in an op-ed for the Guardianin June.

6. She understands that education is the key to gender equality.

"In Pakistan when women say they want independence, people think this means we don't want to obey our fathers, brothers or husbands." she writes in I Am Malala. "But it does not mean that. It means we want to make decisions for ourselves. We want to be free to go to school or to go to work. Nowhere is it written in the Quran that a woman should be dependent on a man. The word has not come down from the heavens to tell us that every woman should listen to a man."

7. She champions literacy as a way to make women warriors.

"The wise saying, 'The pen is mightier than sword' was true," she observed during her UN speech. "The extremists are afraid of books and pens. The power of education frightens them. They are afraid of women. The power of the voice of women frightens them."
"We must believe in the power and the strength of our words. Our words can change the world ... let us pick up our books and pens. They are our most powerful weapons."

8. She proves that fear and violence will not stop women from fighting for equal rights.

Thanks to Malala's example, women around the world know they no longer need to be intimidated by fear or violence. Her bravery and resilience is a shining beacon to all of us when we feel the fight for gender equality might be insurmountable.

"The terrorists thought that they would change our aims and stop our ambitions," she told the UN delegates. "But nothing changed in my life except this: Weakness, fear and hopelessness died. Strength, power and courage was born."

http://mic.com/articles/101072/8-ways-malala-has-made-the-world-better-for-women

4 Awesome Lessons Sania Mirza Taught Us With Her Victory At Wimbledon

4 Awesome Lessons Sania Mirza Taught Us With Her Victory At Wimbledon

July 12, 2015

saniamirza_2-360x240.png

Martina Hingis seemed to have given it up, when the duo were down 2-5 against the Russian duo Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina, but Sania Mirza refused to give up. With the bravado on display and finding her form with exquisite front volleys Sania Mirza inspired Martina Hingis to re-pool her energies and the duo wrote a chapter in history at Wimbledon last night (or rather early morning). Sania Mirza along with Martina Hingis turned the table and emerged victorious against all odds.

For Sania the victory was more so scintillating as she became the first Indian woman ever to win a Grand Slam tournament.

The victory carried some key learnings for all of us. Here they are:

1. Let your profession do the talking

Sania Mirza had been at the receiving end for her personal life, but she has let her game speak for itself and underlined the fact that personal beliefs, ideologies, life-style etc., are matters of personal choice and they should not be used to doubt the commitment and sincerity of an individual for the profession. Her commitment to the game also showed that when the chips are down one should become immune from criticism and reinvent oneself through the profession in which one excels. -

2. Cricket is not the only sport that can bring you laurels, more so for women -

After her victory, Sania Mirza said:
“I hope it inspires a lot of girls and makes them believe they can be Grand Slam champions too.”

3. A true champion stands up against strong opposition and does not choke down

Right from her childhood days Sania Mirza excelled in difficult matches. It is her mindset of performing to her best of abilities against great pressure, not to choke in difficult situations, that made her draw her inner strength again when the chips were down in the 3rd set. She inspired her partner and together they came out on top to win the championship. Here’s what Roger Federer had to say about this match!

4. Behind every successful story, there is sweat & commitment from friends and family

Indeed in India, in particular, the shinning beacons of tennis- Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupati, Krishnans etc., have made their mark owing to the commitment of their families in helping them, but Sania Mirza’s case was different as her family did not have any experience from the past of being associated with tennis. What also worked for Sania Mirza’s family was the self-belief in the game that their daughter Sania Mirza loved. The stoody by their daughter through all ordeals, particularly during the time when a fatwa was issued against her for wearing shorts on the ground.

http://www.thebetterindia.com/28743...ail&utm_term=0_cd579275a4-07c275efd5-73747833

முத்துப்பேட்டை மாணவியின் புதிய கண்டுபி&#

முத்துப்பேட்டை மாணவியின் புதிய கண்டுபிடிப்பு..!

July 11, 2015

11542110_391857711011863_6877864290778011115_n.jpg

முத்துப்பேட்டை புதுத்தெரு ஊராட்சி ஒன்றிய நடுநிலைப்பள்ளியில் 7-ம் வகுப்பு படிக்கும் மாணவி ஆர்த்தி. இவர் செங்கல்களை எளிய முறையில் வார்க்கும் கருவியை வடிவமைத்து கண்டுப்பிடித்துள்ளார்.

இந்த கருவியில் இரண்டு வீல் பொருத்தப்பட்டு அதில் செங்கல் தயாரிக்க தேவையான களி மண்களை கொட்ட டப்பா போன்ற ஒரு பகுதியை உருவாக்கி அதில் களி மண்ணை கொட்டி கையால் தள்ளினால் தானாக கீழ் பகுதியிலிருந்து களி மண் செங்கல் வடிவத்தில் நீளமாக வருகிறது. அதில் ஒரு பகுதியில் அளவுக்கு ஏற்றது போல் செங்கல் அறுத்து பிரியும் போன்று உருவாக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது.

இந்த நிலையில் அதன் செயல் விளக்க நிகழச்சி ஆலங்காடு செங்கல் சூளை பகுதியில் மாணவி செய்து காட்டினார். இதில் செங்கல் சூளை தொழிலாளர்கள் மற்றும் கிராம மக்கள் ஆர்வத்துடன் மாணவியின் கண்டுபிடிப்பைப் பார்த்து வியந்தனர். நிகழ்ச்சியில் தலைமை ஆசிரியர் ராமலிங்கம் உதவி தலைமை ஆசிரியர் ஆண்டனி அந்தோனி ராஜ், ஆசிரியர்கள் செல்வ சிதம்பரம், சாமிநாதன் ஆசிரியை முத்துலெட்சுமி மற்றும் கிராம மக்கள் கலந்துக் கொண்டு மாணவி ஆர்த்தியைப் பாராட்டினர்.

மாணவி ஆர்த்தி கண்டுபிடித்த இந்த கருவி நாளை 11-ம் தேதி மன்னார்குடியில் நடைபெற உள்ள மாவட்ட அளிவிளான புத்தாக்க அறிவியல் கண்காட்சியில் இடம்பெற இருக்கிறது.

http://www.adirainews.net/2015/07/blog-post_31.html

Kalpana Chawla award for mother-daughter duo

Kalpana Chawla award for mother-daughter duo

CHENNAI, August 16, 2012

This is an old news worth sharing here

15aug_kol_01__kalp_1179388e.jpg

D. Rajalakshmi (right) and Shivaranjani who have received the Kalpana Chawla Award, during the Independence Day celebrations in Chennai on Wednesday.— Photo: S.R. Raghunhathan

When burglars struck at their home in Cuddalore on the night of February 28 this year, D. Rajalakshmi was fast asleep with her college-going daughter Shivaranjani. Her elder daughter Jayapriya, who was in the fifth month of her pregnancy, was also with her, while her husband G. Damodaran was away in Chennai.

The masked burglars’ first target was a shop the family was running in the front portion of their house. After completing their task, one of the burglars entered the house and tried to snatch the gold chain with Mangala sutra from Rajalakshmi, a native of Poovudaiyur near Bhuvanagiri in Cuddalore.

“It was at that moment I realised that burglars were inside the house and woke up my daughter. We could see a man with a mask and a body covered with oil,” recalled Rajalakshmi, who on Wednesday received the Kalpana Chawla award for courage and daring enterprise, along with her daughter Shivaranjani, from Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on the Independence Day.

The mother-daughter duo first caught him and went at him with a shovel. “But, he managed to snatch it from my hands and I was terrified at the prospect of a retaliatory strike. Still, we challenged him with determination. My daughter Sivaranjani managed to fetch a knife and then we were all over him, hitting out furiously and slashing blindly.”

In the ensuing struggle, the burglar Murugan, a native of Manalmedu, was left bleeding profusely.

He had lost so much blood that only an emergency transfusion could save his life; such was the ferocity of the attack of the mother-daughter duo. However, the family too paid a heavy price.

The pregnant Jayapriya, who was a helpless witness to the incident, was left traumatised. “It had a deadly effect on the foetus. Two months later, doctors had to abort her pregnancy in order to save her life,” said Mr. Damodaran.

Though Murugan’s accomplices had fled with the booty, the law caught up with them too later.

Barring Jayapriya’s ordeal, the family had every reason to be delighted — it was double delight when they were honoured by the Chief Minister. Apart from gold medals for mother and daughter, they also received a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh.

“It was double delight for the family as they were honoured by

Chief Minister”

avl38b.jpg

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/kalpana-chawla-award-for-motherdaughter-duo/article3777654.ece

[url]http://www.vikatan.com/article.php?module=magazine&aid=23640&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=AvalVikatan&utm_campaign=5

[/URL]

Last edited:
The Weekend Agriculturist

The Weekend Agriculturist

The 29-year-old is the founder of The Weekend Agriculturist, an informal group of enthusiastic youngsters, who offer free labour to small and marginal farmers on weekends.

"My plan is simple: offer free labour to the farmers, who cannot afford to hire help.

"I started a Facebook page outlining my mission and vision for the group. That was about three years ago. Today our group has nearly 5000 volunteers from all walks of life -- IT professionals, doctors, teachers, entrepreneurs, social activists and students," says Harish.

J Satish Kumar, SEO Associate, CoreLead Interactive, Chennai, is part of the core group of volunteers.
"We may have been born and brought up in the city, but agriculture is in our genes," he points out.
"Go back a few generations and most of us will find that our ancestors were farmers. All of us have a deep connection with the land and we probably just need to be reminded about it."

03twa2.jpg

Satish was invited to an event organised by The Weekend Agriculturist (TWA) 18 months ago "and since then I have been completely hooked."

The teams assist with everything from preparing the soil, planting the seed, transplanting, weeding and harvesting.

"Whatever help they require, we provide. In the process, we learn so much. There is nothing like first-hand experience to understand the problems that plague our farmers," Satish says.

For founder Harish Srinivasan it all started after reading MoondramUlagaPor (Third World War), a novel by Tamil poet and lyricist Vairamuthu.

"Though I have no agricultural background, the plight of our farmers has always moved me. But it was only after reading MoondramUlagaPor that I was actually jolted into doing something.

"The book described in painful detail the untold sufferings of our farmers. I knew that I had to do something.

"Blaming the politicians and debating endlessly about who is responsible, while we go about our lives in the city, content with buying our food from the supermarket, was not going to solve the problem," says the 29-year-old who is senior consultant at Virtusa India Pvt Ltd in Chennai.

"It is ironic that farmers, who provide our food, have to go hungry," Harish points out. "Isn't it a national shame that they believe their only solution is suicide?

"Farmers, who for generations have depended on agriculture for their survival, today encourage their children to find other employment.

03twa3.jpg

"How much longer are we going to wait? No superhero is going to come save them."

Harish acknowledges that it was not easy to convince farmers that they were serious.
But persistence and sincerity paid off.

"We convinced some of the big, more educated farmers, who took us in and taught us some of the basics. We went back week after week until they realised that we really had their best interests at heart."

They spend their own money for travel and usually spend the night in open terraces, schools or small hostels.

The core group of volunteers is between the ages of 20-30, but there are older volunteers and some bring their families as well.

T R Sarathy, 45, lives in the small village of Alathur, in Thiruvallur district of Tamil Nadu. He belongs to a family of farmers. Six years ago, he gave up farming and ventured into brick making, which, he says, is much more profitable.

"Until about six years ago, farming was all we knew. For generations our family survived growing seasonal crops, but it was becoming harder every year.
"When a few villagers ventured into brick making, I too gave up farming," says Sarathy who is a huge support to Harish and his team. He scouts the nearby farms to find out who needs help.

He says most of the farmers have small farms and cannot afford the Rs 250-300 that the labourers demand.

They grow rice, vegetable and also some flowers like roses and kanakambaram (an orange flower that women put on their hair).

Harish lets him know in advance when the group will be coming. He identifies the farmers who need help most.

They groups are of 10-20 and they work for two days from 6:30 in the morning to about 4 in the evening, doing whatever needs to be done.

"I was forced to give up farming, but today I am happy that at least I am helping my brothers survive," Sarathy says.

Prachi Ghatwal, 25, from Goa, a mobile app developer at Creative Capsule India Pvt Limited was an active part of TWA before she went back to her hometown.

"When I was in Chennai, I used to travel with the other volunteers to the farms. Most of the farms are family owned and can barely afford any extra manpower. They are grateful for any kind of help and it is hugely satisfying seeing your work make some difference to their lives."

She now helps with registrations and provides some technical support. "We are working on a mobile app that will facilitate better and easy registration of volunteers for the various events planned by TWA," she says.

The group not only offers free services, they also bring in consultants, who offer expert advice and provide solutions based on the individual needs of each farmer.

The consultants educate the farmer on how to improve the quality and yield of crops. They work on sustainability and increasing growth and profitability.

They are also trying to make them adopt the traditional, healthier practices of farming.

"Our work is not over with just the weekend; we are constantly exploring new avenues to help the farmers," says Satish.

"For the last 30-40 years, our farmers have relied on chemical fertilisers and pesticides to boost crop production without understanding its long-term effects. Most of the food on our table today is loaded with toxins.
"We are teaching the farmers the benefits of going organic, but it is not an easy task. A few have agreed to go organic on a small patch of their land."

Volunteers are also taught how to grow their own organic vegetables.

"Vegetables like brinjal, chilly, or tomatoes can be grown very easily. I myself harvest about three or four kilos of brinjal every month in my garden. Growing your own food is a totally exhilarating experience," Satish claims.

03twa5.jpg

The volunteers are encouraged to buy produce from the farmers.

"These poor farmers sell their produce to middlemen, who buy for as low as Rs 5-6 per kg and sell for Rs 40-50 in the city. We are currently working to get corporates interested in building a direct link between the farmers and consumers, to help farmers get a better rate for their produce," says Harish.

TWA has been in operation for three years and Harish is happy with the results.

"Today, we are appreciated for our work. Occasionally youngsters from Coonoor, Erode and Bangalore join us. There are plans to encourage such groups in other cities too."

He says farmers too are encouraged at getting the help. "Our desire to help them is a huge motivation for them. They are happy to know that somebody cares."

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/report/achievers-the-weekend-agriculturist/20150706.htm

Meet Ashwini Waskar, India's first female bodybuilder

Meet Ashwini Waskar, India's first female bodybuilder

Jul 15, 2015

Ashwini-Waskar_Facebook.jpg

What comes to your mind when you hear the word 'bodybuilder'? Most would say a bulky man with bulging muscles seen on advertisements for gyms and covers of men's magazines. Very few would equate bodybuilder with a woman, much less a Indian woman.

Which is what makes Ashwini Waskar, India's first competitive female body builder, so unique. She not only defies gender stereotypes but crosses cultural barriers as well.

It all started when she joined a gym to maintain her fitness in Mumbai and completed a basic training course which caught her interest. When she returned to her hometown in Raigad after that, she visited the local gym, Hanuman Vyayamshala and surprised the owner Rajesh Angad by performing the same routines as male bodybuilders, according to a report by the Daily Mail UK .

The 32-year-old was then prompted by Angad to take up bodybuilding properly which lead to a transformation both physically and mentally, giving her impressive muscalutre and the confidence to do something unprecedented.

She used to work at a senior research fellow at the Central Institute of Fisheries Education but quit her job to concentrate on bodybuilding full time, according to this report by Mirror UK.

The same report quotes Waskar as saying, “An announcement was being made there (at a bodybuilding event) about the upcoming first national level female bodybuilding competition and they were asking if anybody wants to participate. So I thought 'why not give it a try?'”

In a span of few months, she worked on her body and ended up coming fifth among the seven contestants at the national-level event, continues the Daily Mail UK report.

But Waskar's journey was not without its fair share of problems. While the men in bodybuilding get recognition and thereby sponsorship, she finds it difficult to earn money through her vocation. Currently, her father pays for all the expenses she incurs. Her food supplements itself cost her Rs 20,000 per month. According to a report by Indiatimes, she even had to sell her gold chain for one event in Mumbai.

However, she has the full support of her family and told Daily Mail UK “My father has assured me that he will continue supporting me. I am also exploring ways to do it."

Another problem is that the attire as bodybuilding requires participants to wear revealing clothes and coming from a conservative household, Waskar wasn't very comfortable in bikinis initially. Her brother Niranjan is quoted by the Daily Mail UK as saying, "When I heard that shorts were worn in the competition I was a little worried. We are a middle class family." However her father and other family members supported her in this as well.

Waskar remains optimistic about the future in the sport in India. "We have to work harder. I'm now training a lot of women, and tell them not to be scared of bodybuilding. After I built my body, I asked my father's permission to wear a bikini and enter a competition, where I flaunted my curves and muscle power. It gave me a lot of confidence," she is quoted in The Times of India.

We hope that Waskar's story motivates many other women to pursue their dreams and overcome stereotypes.

http://www.firstpost.com/living/mee...er-who-is-overcoming-stereotypes-2343442.html

Turbaned Tornado Fauja Singh!

Turbaned Tornado Fauja Singh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSS6j7EZ1jE

Uploaded on Oct 22, 2011
Guinness World Records denying his World Record because Baba Fauja Singh can't show a birth certificate from 1911
Speaking about the marathon, he said in an interview "The first 20 miles are not difficult. As for last six miles, I run while talking to God"
Running Career

Rediscovered at age of 81
Marathons run: London (5), Toronto (2), New York (1)
Marathon debut: London
London Flora Jusreign Marathon London Flora Marathon London Flora Marathon Bupa Great North Run (Half Marathon) London Flora Marathon Toronto Waterfront Marathon New York City Marathon London Flora Marathon Glasgow City Half Marathon Capital Radio Help a London Child 10,000 m 2004 Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon 2004 Toronto Waterfront Marathon 2011
thanx to Sangat TV for the footage!!

Please also read from here

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/09/sport/fauja-singh-marathon-oldest/

http://www.thebetterindia.com/23273/story-of-fauja-singh-worlds-oldest-marathon-runner/

Here’s a Canteen that Offers Lunch to Everyone at Just Re. 1 -

Here’s a Canteen that Offers Lunch to Everyone at Just Re. 1 -

July 16, 2015

The canteen provides a complete meal including chapatti, rice, sambhar, vegetable curry and even sweets! From vegetable vendors to auto rickshaw drivers and well-dressed professionals, everyone enjoys the delicious food here.

Today when Re. 1 cannot even buy us a decent candy, a canteen in Hubballi, Karnataka is providing an entire meal.
Roti Ghar, located in Kanchgar Galli in Hubballi operates with a motive to eradicate hunger from the society. And for this they are serving a full meal at just Re 1.

Photo for representation purpose only. Source: dreamysap.wordpress.com

What more, the meal is not a below average one, but of good quantity consisting of roti, rice, vegetable curry and sambar, with a sweet dish during special occasions. The delicious food reminds one of a healthy home cooked meal.

Established five years ago by the Mahaveer Youth Federation, the canteen is open for all. From office goers to slum dwellers, everyone can come and have lunch here. Can anything be more apt to showcase equality?

Though the canteen is small, it does not compromise on the quality and hygiene. The utensils are clean and shiny while the premise is tidy with a clean staff.

It operates from noon to 3:00 pm. The small team of three takes care of all the requirements which include, cooking, cleaning and serving.

When customers are done enjoying their delicious meals, they can make the payment by dropping a Re. 1 coin in the box rather than paying it in the hands of the staff. From auto drivers to vegetable vendors and even retail shop owners, everyone is a fan of this amazing food joint which has made a space in their hearts. Which is why most of its customers are regulars.

The Mahaveer Youth Federation had earlier started a hospital to provide free medical services but it did not work out due to lack of doctors. They started the canteen after that which became a huge hit among locals.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...nch-costs-just-Rs-1/articleshow/48081548.cms?
http://www.thebetterindia.com/29099/canteen-in-hubballi/

Last edited:
Mumbai girl left her lucrative job to construct toilets for Salt Pan Workers in TN

Mumbai girl left her lucrative job to construct toilets for Salt Pan Workers in Tamil Nadu -

May 13, 2015

Sonam had never stepped out of Mumbai. But when she did she not only changed her life, but that of hundreds of salt pan workers in Tamil Nadu. Here is her story of change and how she is giving them access to much needed urinals.

Sonam Dumbre had never stepped out of Maharashtra. Born and brought up in Mumbai, this 24-year old girl was raised under the care and protection of a loving family. After completing her post-graduation in Environmental Sciences, she got a good job as a sales executive. But one fine day, a general visit to the SBI website changed her life for good.

She saw a link on the website about SBI’s Youth for India fellowship. As she explored and read more about the initiative she became more interested in it

And the next thing she knew, she was packing her bags to shift to Kovilthavu salt pans, Vedaranyam, Tamil Nadu.

Long working hours under the hot sun make the working conditions very difficult for the workers.

“Salt work involves rigorous physical labour in high temperatures (40 degree Celsius and above) leading to rapid loss of water from the body which needs to be replaced during the working hours since the body is incapable of storing water for long,” says Sonam.

“It was all so random. I had never imagined that I will be doing something like this. But what caught my attention was the uniqueness of the fellowship. Here we had to do everything from scratch – from finding the problem we wanted to solve to implementing the solution. We have to take ownership of everything and create a real impact,” says Sonam.

Different from most others at her age, Sonam was always sure of what she wanted to do. Hence, even before actually visiting the location to start her fellowship, she knew exactly the sector in which she wanted to intervene and the people she wanted to help.

“I chose Tamil Nadu as I wanted to explore a place I had never been to before. The language, the people – everything was different. I had already decided that I will work with salt pan workers and address the issues faced by them,” she says.

When Sonam reached the venue, she talked to the locals and found that most of the salt pan workers suffered from dehydration and poor health. The reason was quite shocking.

Sonam Dumbre is solving the issue by designing a unique urinal for the salt pan workers.

Due to a lack of access to toilets near the salt pan, they often did not get to relieve themselves for hours. And to avoid frequent visits to the distant peripheries where they could urinate in open, they stopped having enough water which led to various health issues.

“There aren’t any toilets in the salt pan as the salt might get contaminated and then the traders won’t buy it. Also, it is very hard to construct toilets in those areas as even if you dig two-five feet, you get water from the ground,” says Sonam.

In addition to this, many of the workers are daily wage labourers and it takes a lot of time to reach the peripheries of salt pans which are located at least one kilometre away from the site, reducing their productivity and earning potential.

Considering the plight of these workers, she decided to design a urinal which could be constructed in salt pan areas. She came up with two prototypes: one of them is a basic simple design where urine+water waste is passed to a concrete bed planted with salt and urea absorbing plants thus making it a zero liquid discharge unit. The plants can be harvested from time to time and used as fodder for animals.

“The design is very simple and yet has not been implemented anywhere in the country,” she says. Another design she came up with required engineering support as it was based on vacuum evaporation technique.

“The first design is what I am more interested in as it is simple and low cost. I am ready with the prototype which I will install by the end of May. Based on the results, we will install more units,” she says.

Having to walk a long distance to relieve themselves, the workers do not drink water for the entire day.

Having started her fellowship in September 2014, Sonam has come a long way. From feeling like an outsider to becoming friends with the community, this young girl has come out of the shell she lived in and not only changed her life but that of others who needed her help.
The saltpan stretch is 118 acres wide. The intervention will benefit 90 families involved in salt production and 250 workers. Apart from this, about 80 people coming from neighbouring hamlets for daily wage labour will also be using the facility.

From dressing up like the locals to understanding the language, Sonam has been trying her best to fit in. And the impact of her efforts is visible when the community shows trust in her work and hopes for a change.

Saltpan land preparation.
“Earlier it was very difficult for me to break the ice. But gradually I have become part of the community. The journey has transformed me completely. I am no more a shy girl from Mumbai, I feel great that I am doing something that will lead to a larger impact. The whole experience is liberating,” she says.

Sonam wants to continue her work with the same community even after the completion of the fellowship. For the next few years, she wants to research more on the issue and provide better solutions.

The workers often fall sick due to dehydration.
“As it is just a year long fellowship, we have a very limited time to do everything. I would like to spend some more time on it and will be more than happy if someone else comes up with a better design,” she says.

Describing her entire experience of the fellowship, Sonam says it is a great platform to explore and come out of your comfort zone. We hope to see more young professionals like Sonam come forward and make a difference in the lives of those who need it the most.
To know more about her work, you could contact Sonam at: [email protected]

- See more at: http://www.thebetterindia.com/23114...-pan-workers-tamil-nadu/#sthash.vzodGTxO.dpuf

Last edited:
Blind couple in Surat runs Xerox shop, operates touch machine

Surat, July 17 (ANI): God might take something away from you, but you will be offered a lot in return.

A blind couple living in Surat has fulfilled that quote, taking everyone by amaze.
The couple, Anand Kapure and Kiran Kapure, runs a Xerox shop outside the RTO office in the city,
where thousands of people visit daily to get their driving licenses and car numbers etc done.
They operate the touch screen Xerox machine quite efficiently without anybody's help.
People visit the "Sri Ganesh" Xerox shop to get their documents photocopied
but surprisingly none gets to know that the shopkeepers are blind.
The shop is being run by the couple since last three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKb73abTrME

http://www.aninews.in/videogallery9...t-runs-xerox-shop-operates-touch-machine.html

Ayesha won four gold medals in Karate for India at the Youth International Karate

Ayesha won four gold medals in Karate for India at the Youth International Karate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpcCBmwBSaA

Published on Jul 14, 2015
Ayesha won four gold medals in Karate for India at the Youth International Karate Championship in Bangkok this year.
She lives in a slum in Kolkata and is prone to epileptic fits and is on regular medication.

மூளை வளர்ச்சி குன்றிய அண்ணனை பராமரிக்கு&

மூளை வளர்ச்சி குன்றிய அண்ணனை பராமரிக்கும் மாற்றுத்திறனாளி தங்கை -

July 18, 2015

மனவளர்ச்சி குன்றிய அண்ணனை தாயாக இருந்து கவனித்து வருகிறார் மாற்றுத்திறனாளியான அவரது தங்கை.
பெற்றோரையும் உடன்பிறந்த சகோதரியையும் இழந்து தவிக்கும் இவர்கள் அரசின் உதவியை எதிர்பார்க்கின்றனர்.
மதுரை கரும்பாலை கிழக்குத் தெருவைச் சேர்ந்தவர் முகமது இஸ்மாயில். இவரது மனைவி மைதீன் பாத்திமா.
இவர்களுக்கு செய்யது அலி பாத்திமா, சுல்தான் அலாவுதீன் (36), கதிஜா பானு (30) என 3 பிள்ளைகள்.
மூவருமே மாற்றுத்திறனாளிகள். உடல் மற்றும் மனவளர்ச்சி குன்றியவர்கள்.

கடந்த 4 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பு திடீரென முகமது இஸ்மாயில் இறந்தார்.
கணவரின் இழப்பால் தவித்து வந்த மைதீன் பாத்திமா அடுத்த 2 ஆண்டுகளில் காலமானார்.

தனித்து விடப்பட்ட 3 மாற்றுத்திறனாளி குழந்தைகளை யும் அவர்களின் தாய்மாமா ஷேக் மதார் அரவணைத்தார்.
இந்நிலையில் தாயாக இருந்து தம்பி, தங்கையை கவனித்து வந்த மூத்த குழந்தை அலி பாத்திமாவும் ஓராண்டுக்கு முன் இறந்துவிட்டார்.
தற்போது அந்த குடும்பத்தில் மிச்சமிருப்பது மூளை வளர்ச்சி குன்றிய சுல்தான் அலாவுதீனும், மாற்றுத்திறனாளி தங்கை கதிஜா பானுவும்தான்.
தாய்மாமா ஷேக் மதார் டிரைசைக்கிள் தொழிலாளி.

வருகின்ற சொற்ப வருமானத்தில் முழுமையாக அவர்களை பராமரிக்க முடியாமல் தவிக்கிறார்.
இதுகுறித்து அவர் கூறும்போது, ‘பெற்றோர் இறந்த பிறகு, மூத்த குழந்தையான செய்யது அலி பாத்திமாதான் மற்ற இருவரையும் தாயைப்போல பார்த்து வந்தார். ஓராண்டுக்குமுன் அவரும் இறந்துவிட்டார்.
மற்ற இரு குழந்தைகளை யாவது நன்றாக வளர்க்க வேண்டும் என்று ஊனமுற்றோர் உதவித்தொகை கேட்டு விண்ணப் பித்தோம். சுல்தான் அலாவுதீனுக்கு மட்டும் கிடைக்கிறது. கதிஜா பானு வீட்டு வேலைக்கு செல்கிறார். பின்னர் வந்து குடும்ப வேலைகளையும் கவனிக்கிறார். அவர் மாற்றுத்திறனாளி ஆனாலும் அண்ணனை தாயைப் போல பார்த்துக் கொள்கிறார்.
போதுமான வருமானம் இல்லாததால் வீட்டு வாடகை கூட கொடுக்க முடியாமல் சிரமப்படுகின்றனர். கதிஜா பானுவுக்கும் ஊனமுற்றோர் உதவித் தொகை வழங்க வேண்டும் என்றும், 30 வயதைக் கடந்தும் திருமணமாகாமல் உள்ள அவர்களுக்கு இலவச வீட்டுமனை வழங்க வேண் டும் என்றும், ஆட்சியர் அலுவலகத்தில் தொடர்ந்து மனு கொடுத்து வருகிறேன். எந்த நடவடிக்கையும் இல்லை’ என்கிறார் வேதனை பொங்க.
இன்று ரம்ஜான் பண்டிகை. புத்தாடை அணிந்து மகிழ்ச்சி பொங்க கொண்டாட வேண்டிய இந்த நாள் இவர்களுக்கு மட்டும் மற்றொரு சாதாரண நாளாகவே கடந்து செல்லும். நல்ல உடை உடுத்தியே பல ஆண்டுகள் ஆகின்றன.
இருப்பினும் ‘கருணை உள்ளவர்கள் மூலம் அல்லா எங்களின் குடும்பத்துக்கு உதவுவார்’ என நம்பிக்கையுடன் கூறுகிறார் ஷேக் மதார். அவரது செல் நம்பர்: 93603 89421.

புற்றுநோயால் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட 4 வயது குழந்த

2015-07-18

TamilDailyNews_9248272180558.jpg

நியூயார்க்: அமெரிக்காவின் நியூயார்க்கில் உள்ள ஆல்பேனி மருத்துவ மையத்தில் புற்றுநோயால் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட குழந்தைகளுக்காக மெலடீஸ் என்ற சிறப்பு மையம் உள்ளது. அங்கே புற்றுநோயால் பாதிக்கப்பட்ட நான்கு வயது சிறுமியான ஆபி என்ற குழந்தைக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த செவிலியரான மேட் ஹிக்கிலிங்குக்கும் திருமணம் நடந்தது. லூக்கிமியா நோயால் பாதிக்கப்பட்டிருக்கும் அந்த குழந்தை, தனது தாயிடம் மேட்டைத் திருமணம் செய்ய தாம் விரும்புவதாக கூறினார்.

இதனையடுத்து 12 மணி நேரத்தில் திருமணத்துக்கான ஏற்பாடுகள் செய்யப்பட்டு திருமணம் நடந்த இடம் முழுக்க ரோஜா இதழ்களால் அலங்கரிக்கப்பட்டிருந்தது. திருமணம் முடிந்தபின் தம்பதிகள் செல்ல ‘ஜஸ்ட் மேரிட்’ என எழுதப்பட்ட பொம்மைக் காரும் வைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தது.

‘இந்த நாள் ஆபியும், அவளது குடும்பத்தினரும் பின்னாளில் திரும்ப பார்த்து மகிழ்ச்சியடையும் வகையில் இருக்கும் என நம்புகிறேன்’ என்று அவளது விருப்பத்தை நிறைவேற்றிய மேட் தன்னுடைய பேஸ்புக் பக்கத்தில் குறிப்பிட்டிருந்தார். திருமணத்துக்கு பின்பு ‘வாழ்வின் மிகச் சிறந்த நாள் இது’ என வெட்கத்துடன் குட்டி பெண் ஆபி தெரிவித்தது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

http://www.dinakaran.com/News_Detail.asp?Nid=156614

ரூ.300 முதலீட்டில் ரூ.30 லட்சம் வருமானம்: அசத்&#2980

ரூ.300 முதலீட்டில் ரூ.30 லட்சம் வருமானம்: அசத்தும் 'வத்தல் தாத்தா'!

(18/07/2015)

த்தல் தாத்தா' யாரென கேட்டால் சின்ன குழந்தையும் சொல்லும் அளவுக்கு மதுரை, செல்லூர் வட்டாரத்தில் டி.பி.ராஜேந்திரன் மிகவும் பிரபலம். காரணம், இவரது திருப்பதி விலாஸ் வத்தல் கம்பெனி.

78 வயதான ராஜேந்திரன் இந்த வயதிலும், இளைஞர்களைப் போன்று சுறுசுறுப்பாக உழைத்து வருகிறார். தினமும் காலை 4 மணிக்கு காய்கறி சந்தைகளில் ஆரம்பமாகும் இவரது வேலைகள், இரவு கம்பெனி வரையிலும் தொடர்கிறது. வத்தல் போடுவதற்கான சுண்டைக்காய் வாங்குவதற்காக, ஆந்திரா, பென்னாகரம், சத்தியமங்கலம், மிதுக்கங்காய்க்கு விளாத்திகுளம், மாங்காய்க்கு பெரியகுளம், மற்ற காய்கறிகளுக்கு மாட்டுத்தாவணி, பரவை என பம்பரமாய் சுற்றுகிறார்.

vathal01.jpg

இன்று ஆண்டுக்கு கிட்டதட்ட ரூ.25 லட்சம் முதல் ரூ.30 லட்சம் வரை சம்பாதிக்கும் இவரது இளமை காலம் அவ்வளவு இனியதாக அமைந்து விடவில்லை. ஐந்தாம் வகுப்பை பாதியில் நிறுத்திவிட்டு, விருதுநகர் தால் மில்லில் மாதம் 25 ரூபாய் சம்பளத்திற்கு பணியாற்றி வந்திருக்கிறார். அந்த காலக் கட்டங்களில் தான் இவருக்கு வியாபரத்தில் சாதிக்க வேண்டும் என்ற எண்ணம் மனதை ஆட்கொள்ள ஆரம்பித்திருக்கிறது. அந்த எண்னமே திருமணம் ஆன பிறகு அவரை குடும்பத்தோடு மதுரைக்கு வழி அனுப்பி வைத்திருக்கிறது. மதுரைக்கு வந்த சில வாரங்களில் 300 ரூபாய் முதலீட்டில் செல்லூரில் சிறிய மளிகைக்கடை ஒன்றை ஆரம்பித்திருக்கிறார்.

vathal02.jpg

இவரது கடுமையான உழைப்பின் காரணமாக, வியாபரம் ஒருகட்டத்தில் நல்ல நிலைக்கு வந்திருக்கிறது. அதைத்தொடர்ந்து, காய்கறிகளும் விற்பணை செய்ய ஆரம்பித்திருக்கிறார். அதில் சில காய்கள் விற்காமல் மிச்சமாகவே, அவற்றை என்ன செய்யலாம் என அவர் யோசித்ததின் விளைவு தான் இந்த வத்தல் கம்பெனி.

தனது கடையில் மிச்சமாகும் காய்கறிகளை காய வைத்து, அவற்றை வத்தல்களாக உருவாக்கி, 1 பாக்கெட் 10 காசுகள் என விற்பனை செய்ய ஆரம்பித்திரக்கிறார். வத்தல் தயாரிப்பில் இவரது மனைவியும், இவருடன் இணைந்து செயல்பட்டிருக்கிறார். இருவரின் கடுமையான உழைப்பின் காரணமாக, மளிகைக்கடை வியாபாரத்தை விட வத்தல் வியாபாரம் நல்ல இலாபத்தை ஈட்டி தர ஆரம்பித்திருக்கிறது.

vathal03.jpg

1965ல் வத்தல் தயாரிக்கும் கம்பெனியாக ஆரம்பிக்கபட்ட 'திருப்பதி விலாஸ்'க்கு இப்போது பொன் விழா ஆண்டு. 80களில் இவரும் இவரது மனைவியும் புது வகையான வத்தல்கள் மற்றும் வடகங்களை உருவாக்கினர். இவர்களது வத்தல் தயாரிப்பு அடுத்த கட்டத்திற்கு செல்கையில் தான், இந்த துறையில் வடமாநிலத்தவர்கள் ஆதிக்கம் அதிகம் என்பதை உணர்ந்துள்ளார். நம் மாநில வியாபாரிகளும் கூட வெளிமாநிலத்த்வர்களிடம் இருந்து வத்தல்கள் வாங்குவதை கண்டு மிகவும் கவலையுற்று, நம்மூர் வியாபாரிகள் மட்டுமல்லாது, வெளி மாநில வியாபாரிகளும் கூட தன்னிடம் தான் வத்தல்கள் வாங்க வேண்டும் என சபதம் எடுத்துள்ளார்.
vathal04.jpg

வடமாநிலத்தவர்கள் வத்தல் வியாபாரத்தில் வித்தகர்களாக இருப்பதற்கான காரணம் அவர்களிடம் இருக்கும் மெஷினர்களே என்பதை அறிந்து, 2005ஆம் வருடம் குஜராத்தில் இருந்து மெஷின்கள் வாங்கியிருக்கிறார். வேறு மாநிலம் மட்டுமல்லாது, வேறு நாட்டு வத்தல், வடகம், அப்பள வகைகளையும் உண்டு சுவையறிந்து, பொருளறிந்து செய்முறை அறிந்து தானாகவே தயாரித்திருக்கிறார். இன்று மாங்காய், முந்திரி, கத்திரி, வெண்டை, வெங்காயம் என 30 வகையான வத்தல்களையும், கார்ன், மக்கா, மீல்மேக்கர், மக்ரோனி போன்றவற்றையும் டன் கணக்கில் நம்மூர் வியாபாரிகளும், வட மாநிலத்தவர்களும் வாங்கி செல்கின்றனர்.
vathal05.jpg

'தொழிலார்கள் தான் இந்த கம்பெனியின் உயிர், அவர்கள் இல்லையேல் இந்த கம்பெனி இல்லை' என கூறும் ராஜேந்திரன், ஆண்டுக்கு இருமுறை தனது ஊழியர்களை விமானங்களில் சுற்றுலா அழைத்து செல்கிறார். கல்லூரி மாணவர்களுக்கு இலவசமாக வத்தல், வடகம், அப்பளம் தயாரிக்க பயிற்சியும் கொடுத்து வருகிறார்.
vathal06.jpg

''வத்தல் தயாரிப்பு தொழிலுக்கு சுறுசுறுப்பு, பருவநிலைக்கு ஏற்றவாறு முடிவெடுக்கும் சமயோச்சித புத்தி, தயாரிப்பில் சுத்தம் ஆகிய மூன்றும் தான் பிரதான தகுதி'' என்கிறார்.

இன்றைய இளம் தொழில் முனைவோர்களுக்கு வாழும் எடுத்து காட்டாய் திகழும் இந்த இந்த 'வத்தல் தாத்தா' ஓர் 'அசத்தல் தாத்தா' தான்.

-ப.சூரியராஜ்,

படங்கள்: எஸ்.பரத்
(மாணவ பத்திரிகையாளர்கள்)

http://www.vikatan.com/news/article...=facebook&utm_medium=EMagazine&utm_campaign=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back