• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Maya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maya proving her power and strength???

Dear VR Ji,

I have noticed that discussions deep into Maya makes one mentally fatigued.

I feel its that natural way of God to prevent us from diving deep into something where answers can not be found.

Brahman wants us to realize Him instead... so instead of Maya Memsaab its better we Bhajo Govindam Bhajo Govindam!!!

Last edited:
Sage Vasishta says about Maya

Stanza 29

This power is different both from its effect and also from its substratum.The blister(which is the effect) and the charcoal(the substratum) are cognized objects ;but the power to burn is inferred from the effect(viz, the blister).

Dear Renuka,

Charcoal has the quality to catch fire and a fire has the quality to cause blister. Though the power to burn is not a direct quality of charcoal it is still a secondary quality or attribute.

Dear Sravna,

Lets rephrase that:

Charcoal has the latent/potential ability to catch fire just like how a seed has the latent/potential ability to grow into a tree.

Fire has the ability to cause a burns wound(Blister)..in other words its the "Svadharma" of Fire to Burn.

Ability as in latent/potential and inherent dharma/Svadharma can not be termed a quality or attribute.
There is a fine line of difference between an attribute/quality and an ability.

So for all practical descriptive purposes Sage Vasishta was right in his sermon.

Last edited:
read # 76 again.

Dear VR Ji,

I have noticed that discussions deep into Maya makes one mentally fatigued.

I feel its that natural way of God to prevent us from diving deep into something where answers can not be found.

Brahman wants us to realize Him instead... so instead of Maya Memsaab its better we Bhajo Govindam Bhajo Govindam!!!

Knowing is one thing.
Realizing is another.
The very fact that we are trying to
fathom the unfathomable
proves that we KNOW
but we do not know
WHEN and WHERE to stop
these futile investigstions!
It is then and there that
THE MAYA TAKES OVER!

Bye bye Maya! :wave:

You sure know when you have to become elusive again :bolt:

and escape form the bunch of people trying to corner you! :grouphug:

Maya was a break some time back.
Now some one wants a break from Maya.
With Internet connectivity all over why force yourself to be away?

Folks,

The problem is I am losing my focus on work. With some important deadlines coming up I need to get back that focus. Indeed maya seems to be too enticing!

Folks,

The problem is I am losing my focus on work. With some important deadlines coming up I need to get back that focus. Indeed maya seems to be too enticing!

Shri Sravna,

Good luck in your work. Wish to see you back ASAP.

Folks,

I can understand how defocused and un productive one can sometimes get to. Yes, the forum comes next.

Internet connectivity MAY be there everywhere.

One also needs time, energy and freedom from worries

to participate in such HEAVY threads! Na?

Futile searches and researches on Maya and Brahman

(N.B and S.B -sounding like some castes and sects!)

are for people who have nothing better to do... like me!

Why young people holding responsible posts should be lead

astray by Maya???
:noidea:

The forum Maya is too bad and you must be aware of this, Sir!!

Ok.... Lemme go and pack up my things for my tour down South, tonight! :D

Dear Sravna,

Lets rephrase that:

Charcoal has the latent/potential ability to catch fire just like how a seed has the latent/potential ability to grow into a tree.

Fire has the ability to cause a burns wound(Blister)..in other words its the "Svadharma" of Fire to Burn.

Ability as in latent/potential and inherent dharma/Svadharma can not be termed a quality or attribute.
There is a fine line of difference between an attribute/quality and an ability.

So for all practical descriptive purposes Sage Vasishta was right in his sermon.

Dear Renuka,

I don't see that solves the problem. You have the ability for something because you possess the quality. How is charcoal able to catch fire? Because it possesses certain properties, right? I think you are making too fine a distinction.

Dear Renuka,

I don't see that solves the problem. You have the ability for something because you possess the quality. How is charcoal able to catch fire? Because it possesses certain properties, right? I think you are making too fine a distinction.

Dear Sravna,

Fires burns almost everything except water, air and space
Fire doesnt burn air/space but needs air(oxygen)/space for combustion.
So that way anything expect water/air/space is a potential inferno..dont you think so?

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

Fires burns almost everything except water, air and space
Fire doesnt burn air/space but needs air(oxygen)/space for combustion.
So that way anything expect water/air/space is a potential inferno..dont you think so?

Yes, the difference charcoal is combustible, i.e., it readily ignites. It has an affinity towards catching fire.

Yes, the difference charcoal is combustible, i.e., it readily ignites. It has an affinity towards catching fire.

Affinity is the perfect word to describe its properties.But do you still want to call affinity and properties a quality?

Affinity is the perfect word to describe its properties.But do you still want to call affinity and properties a quality?

Let's now put this in perspective. This was about what do we mean by "power" when we say maya is the power of brahman. Whether "power" is a quality or not. Whether you call that power a quality, or property or affinity to do something, it doesn't solve the problem. Because if maya is one of the above, i.e., a property, affinity or quality of nirguna brahman, then the latter is the cause of the world. So let's get back to the question of identifying what is maya?

Let's now put this in perspective. This was about what do we mean by "power" when we say maya is the power of brahman. Whether "power" is a quality or not. Whether you call that power a quality, or property or affinity to do something, it doesn't solve the problem. Because if maya is one of the above, i.e., a property, affinity or quality of nirguna brahman, then the latter is the cause of the world. So let's get back to the question of identifying what is maya?

Sravna,

Maya is the power of Brahman isnt it?

I was reading Narayaneeyam the other day and in its commentary was a nice poetic description of the Loving Glance of Brahman on Maya from the Vedas
tadaikshta, bahusyAm prajAyeya
translating poetically(not literal meaning) to mean Only when Looked at by Brahman,Maya gets agitated.

I guess all we know is Maya is the Power of Brahman From Brahman,For Brahman and By Brahman.(Sounds very democracy like in description LOL!!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back