• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Marriage sacred, concept of marital rape cannot be applied in India, govt says

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

NEW DELHI: Concept of marital rape cannot be applied in India as marriage is treated as a sacrament or sacred as per mindset of the Indian society, government said on Wednesday.

"It is considered that the concept of marital rape, as understood internationally, cannot be suitably applied in the Indian context due to various factors, including level of education, illiteracy, poverty, myriad social customs and values, religious beliefs, mindset of the society to treat the marriage as a sacrament," minister of state for home, Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary said.

He was replying to a written question of DMK MP Kanimozhi in Rajya Sabha.

Read more at: Marriage sacred, concept of marital rape cannot be applied in India, govt says - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Concept of marital rape cannot be applied in India as marriage is treated as a sacrament or sacred as per mindset of the Indian society, government said on Wednesday.

"It is considered that the concept of marital rape, as understood internationally, cannot be suitably applied in the Indian context due to various factors, including level of education, illiteracy, poverty, myriad social customs and values, religious beliefs, mindset of the society to treat the marriage as a sacrament," minister of state for home, Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary said.

He was replying to a written question of DMK MP Kanimozhi in Rajya Sabha.

Read more at: Marriage sacred, concept of marital rape cannot be applied in India, govt says - The Times of India

This may be the view of the minister and the MP may agree. But it is not acceptable to the women of modern India.

When the husband who went away to work in neat clothes returns in the evening as a stinking pig from the sewer on all fours and demands sexual pleasure from the woman at home, the woman has the right to refuse it. It will be a marital rape if the woman is forced upon without her consent.

And the male should be punished treating it as rape if proved.

When the husband who went away to work in neat clothes returns in the evening as a stinking pig from the sewer on all fours and demands sexual pleasure from the woman at home, the woman has the right to refuse it. It will be a marital rape if the woman is forced upon without her consent.

What a Dirty Picture!LOL

What is a wife has an appetite for S&M... handcuffs and blindfolds her husband and whips him a 50 shades of blue and black..can that be considered marital rape?

What is a wife has an appetite for S&M... handcuffs and blindfolds her husband and whips him a 50 shades of blue and black..can that be considered marital rape?

No. It will not be a rape if the husband too enjoyed it at the end. There will be no complainant and there will be no offence. What a violent imagination!! LOL.

It seems there are enough laws, domestic violence, forced sex, unnatural sex, etc. which are adequate to punish and no new laws are necessary. Many political parties too are against law on marital rape, as it is against basic family values.

It seems there are enough laws, domestic violence, forced sex, unnatural sex, etc. which are adequate to punish and no new laws are necessary. Many political parties too are against law on marital rape, as it is against basic family values.

There is no use mincing words when it comes to violence against women, whether single or married.

If the current laws are inadequate when it comes to marital rape, new law will have to be enacted. We have to move with time.

Violence against women can not be a part of family values. If a woman is unwilling there ends the matter. Even a husband does not have the right by marriage to force himself on her. That is against the basic human values. If the man is unable to control himself he can go to a whorehouse. A woman has a basic right to decide whom she allows to touch her and when she will allow that. Period.

A woman is not an object for carnal pleasure...She has to be given her space..It has to be mutual & not a one way street

This may be the view of the minister and the MP may agree. But it is not acceptable to the women of modern India.

Well written and I echo the sentiments

There is no use mincing words when it comes to violence against women, whether single or married.

If the current laws are inadequate when it comes to marital rape, new law will have to be enacted. We have to move with time.

Violence against women can not be a part of family values. If a woman is unwilling there ends the matter. Even a husband does not have the right by marriage to force himself on her. That is against the basic human values. If the man is unable to control himself he can go to a whorehouse. A woman has a basic right to decide whom she allows to touch her and when she will allow that. Period.

I agree with this point and post.

A woman is not an object for carnal pleasure...She has to be given her space..It has to be mutual & not a one way street

In a marriage both male and female are object of carnal pleasure for each other. Why do we need to underplay the importance of lust in a marriage?

A true woman gets a kiccku when she knows she can ignite passion in her husband.. and a true man also loves the fact that he is adored in many shades.

At the end of the day we are made to believe as if only males have sexual desires and females are sans libidos and always saying No No!LOL

The problem is in Indian marriages we are supposed to imagine that love conquers all and that is enough to keep a marriage going.

But reality is having lust as the foundation of a marriage keeps the love alive.

On a personal basis I feel the word marital rape is always quoted out of context...I would only prefer to call it marital rape if it is an abusive relationship where there is evidence of ,mental and physical trauma..otherwise people should learn how to solve their husband and wife misunderstandings without bothering the courts for cases that are technically not rape!

I am yet to hear lesbians and homosexuals crying out Marital Rape!

Somehow I feel that straight men get the worst deal possible when it comes to the law!LOL

I would like to share the recent verdict of Supreme Court on the topic which is relevant:

"SC rejects plea to make marital rape a criminal offence

The Supreme Court Tuesday refused to entertain a woman's plea to declare marital rape a criminal offence, saying it wasn't possible to order a change in the law for one person.

A Delhi-based MNC executive had told the court that her husband repeatedly resorted to sexual violence but she was helpless as marital rape was not a crime in India.

"You are espousing a personal cause and not a public cause...This is an individual case," a bench of justice AR Dave and justice R Banumathi said, refusing to take up her plea. The woman had challenged the validity of an exception to Section 375 of the IPC that says sexual intercourse by a man with his wife, who is 15 or above, is not rape even if it is without consent.

The provision, the woman said, violated her fundamental right to life and liberty.

As the bench was not inclined to entertain the petition, Colin Gonsalves, who represented the woman, chose to withdraw it. "We would move the court again on the issue....may be through a women's organisation," the senior advocate told HT.

The law commission in its report to the government in March 2000 recommended that forced sexual intercourse by a husband be treated as an offence just like any physical violence by a man against his wife."

Read more at: SC rejects plea to make marital rape a criminal offence

When a man and a woman in a relationship are possessed by intense passion and choose violent methods by consensus to enjoy sex, it is a different matter. But when one of the two parties to the deal indulges in violence and the other party resents it, it becomes a matter to be condemned. If persisted, it becomes an offence and should be made punishable.

If necessary necessary changes should be made in the law. Women are not door mats. LOL.

Agree with the government or law.. after marraige it is easy for woman to claim marital rape - poor man can go to jail just because woman did not like him anymore. It is too bad to think only man is eager for sex and not woman.. did anyone see the recent lousy movie Ok Kanmani.. ?

It is reported that the law commission in its report to the government in March 2000 has recommended that forced sexual intercourse by a husband be treated as an offence just like any physical violence by a man against his wife.

It is further reported in the news item that Justice JS Verma committee that reviewed rape laws after the December 16, 2012 gang rape of a para-medical student in Delhi had also given a similar suggestion.

Out of around 200 countries in the world, 104 of them reported to have accepted marital rape as a punishable offense. (2006 data). Soviet Union criminalized it in 1922.

If 104 countries can figure a way out to implement it, why not we…..??? .

hi

some one will argue further....how to conduct a sex after marriage?....in the marriage sex ...is it rape?...or normal sex?..

i think govt/court has a lot of other problems to common man....the govt/court can't teach how to conduct marriage sex after

marriage......these problems are created unneccesserily by some FEMINIST GROUP....these groupd are spoiling society...

if marriage sex is rape...then many more divorces in the court..lol

It is reported that the law commission in its report to the government in March 2000 has recommended that forced sexual intercourse by a husband be treated as an offence just like any physical violence by a man against his wife.

It is further reported in the news item that Justice JS Verma committee that reviewed rape laws after the December 16, 2012 gang rape of a para-medical student in Delhi had also given a similar suggestion.

Out of around 200 countries in the world, 104 of them reported to have accepted marital rape as a punishable offense. (2006 data). Soviet Union criminalized it in 1922.

If 104 countries can figure a way out to implement it, why not we…..??? .

We can not because in our culture a woman does not have equal rights even in the primordial passion called sex. She is a second class citizen with limited rights even there. And we have this:

தெய்வம் தொழாஅள் கொழுனற்றொழுதெழுவாள்
பெய்யெனப்பெய்யும் மழை.

When a man and a woman in a relationship are possessed by intense passion and choose violent methods by consensus to enjoy sex, it is a different matter. But when one of the two parties to the deal indulges in violence and the other party resents it, it becomes a matter to be condemned. If persisted, it becomes an offence and should be made punishable.

If necessary necessary changes should be made in the law. Women are not door mats. LOL.

dear Vaagmi ji,

I hope my reply does not come as too explicit but let me cite the example you gave in another post about a husband that comes home dirty like a bovine species and demands copulation from his wife.

These cases can be solved easily with some simple tactics...instead of a wife shouting at her husband to bathe and not want to copulate with him..she can just suggest a sensual bath and role play..as if he is being given royal treatment and she play the role of a seductress...then both can decide from there if they want to copulate or not....with such a diplomatic method..unwarranted fights can be prevented.

I am not writing this becos of an over active imagination..I have suggested role play for many couples who have consulted me for problematic sexual life and their relationships have improved and no major fights anymore.

Most cases of so called Marital Rape can be solved with marriage counselling.For those who do not believe in role play or marriage counselling....there is a time tested method that prevents Marital Rape that is ..living in a joint family!No man would dare "rape" his wife when other family members are around.

dear Vaagmi ji,

I hope my reply does not come as too explicit but let me cite the example you gave in another post about a husband that comes home dirty like a bovine species and demands copulation from his wife.

1)These cases can be solved easily with some simple tactics...instead of a wife shouting at her husband to bathe and not want to copulate with him..she can just suggest a sensual bath and role play..as if he is being given royal treatment and she play the role of a seductress...then both can decide from there if they want to copulate or not....with such a diplomatic method..unwarranted fights can be prevented.

I am not writing this becos of an over active imagination..I have suggested role play for many couples who have consulted me for problematic sexual life and their relationships have improved and no major fights anymore.

2)Most cases of so called Marital Rape can be solved with marriage counselling.For those who do not believe in role play or marriage counselling....there is a time tested method that prevents Marital Rape that is ..living in a joint family!No man would dare "rape" his wife when other family members are around.

I will quickly answer these points before closing down the session. the time is up.

1. It is okay if it is a sporadic episode. When it becomes a regular scene, it becomes intolerable. I know cases where this has happened. When the wife after trying all the methods mentioned by you, finally used to shut herself up in her room and go to sleep with a heavy heart. These are the most difficult cases to solve. So my view of this problem is different from yours.

2. Counselling may help if brought in time. Hard cases are difficult. Joint family is ideal but where is the joint family now?

தெய்வம் தொழாஅள் கொழுனற்றொழுதெழுவாள்
பெய்யெனப்பெய்யும் மழை.
OMG! Don't you remember the modern meaning of this kuraL, which I had shared twice, if I remember correct?

If the gender is reversed wife for husband, woman in stead of man in the above post will that still hold good! Do you have nothing agaist "Male Rape" ? Opinions seems to biased against Men!

And........ there existed a man in our village, who got married at the age of 40, to a 27 year old girl (?) and

requested my dad to prescribe a medicine to 'decrease' the desire of his be(i)tter half!! :ballchain:

If a wife is not in the mood she should be able to say so even if that lack of interest goes on for months. A man will be unable to participate if he is not in the mood. So question of rape cannot arise for him.

One of my American friend says his wife tells him these days to resolve his needs himself without making any noise (so her sleep is not disturbed). LoL

In the earlier generations, the age difference between the husband and wife used to be seven to eleven years!

Wonder whether the number of divorces are increasing because the age difference is ONLY one to three years, now? :noidea:

In the earlier generations, the age difference between the husband and wife used to be seven to eleven years!

Wonder whether the number of divorces are increasing because the age difference is ONLY one to three years, now? :noidea:

It is all jathaga Kolaaru They should look into the compatability of Jathagams before rather than after the marriage as in this case! for a perfect sacred wedding like Meenakshi Kalyanam that happened yesterday!

Looking seriously and making some calculations on a slate with a piece of chalk studying 2 jathagams the josier delivered grave news to the woman!

There is no easy way to tell you this - so I will just be blunt! " Prepare yourself to be a widow. Your husband will die a violent and terrible death this yeaar"

Shaken the wife looked into man's face took a few deep breaths to compose herself steadied her voic eand asked "Will I be aquitted?"

(Adapted from R- Digest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back