• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Marriage cancelled by bride family citing groom is doing Sandhya vandhanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case even calling Sani Varam as Sthiravaram mayalso be a superstition.

Though each day is a good day, each day is believed to have a unique orspecial quality something like influence.

Sani’s name in fact means ‘slow moving one’. May be it is this steady and continuous movementfound favourable and acceptable for most. Hence, they may call Saturday asSthiravaram.

We do not have any mention of Weekdays or "vArams" in vedas and these vArams made their appearance only during puranic period almost coinciding with influx of Greek knowledge in jyotishm.

If we believe ourselves to belong vedic ancestry surely we must also believe that our forefathers did not bother with auspiciousness or in-auspiciousness of sthira vAra days?

Dear highly respected Sri Zebra 16, Veteran

"We do not have any mention of Weekdays or "vArams" in vedas," you write confidently. Please accept my namaskaarams to your superior Vedic knowledge. "Anantha vai vedaaha," say our Vedams.

So, you have studied and mastered, under proper qualified and experienced aacharyaas, all 1,130 shaakaas of the first three Vedams, i.e. 21 rig-veda shaakaas, 18 shukla-yajur-veda shaakaas, 94 krishna-yajur-veda shaakaas, and 1,000 saama-veda shaakaas. (I am told this achievement takes a few lifetimes. But no matter.)

And you have sieved through them all. You have concluded, through thorough checking and re-checking, that no "vaarams" or weekdays, are mentioned or alluded to. Heartiest congratulations.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you kindly say when you started your reading, when you ended your reading? And who were your trusted guru or gurus to lead and guide you through the mammoth task? Or was d-i-y?

Many thanks and namaskaarams.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you kindly say when you started your reading, when you ended your reading? And who were your trusted guru or gurus to lead and guide you through the mammoth task? Or was d-i-y?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I undertook veda adhyayanam when I was aged about 9 years and concluded it when I was 17 years old. I learnt krsna yajurvedam taittiriya shAkam in full - meaning and including samhitA (only padha pATha and not gaNa pATam), brAhmaNam, Aranyakam and upaniSad under the guidance of my maternal grand father who was a samskrita shiromani and was addressed as brahmarsi by others vAdhyArs in his purOhitam practice.

I think this should quench at least a little bit of your curiosity.

I undertook veda adhyayanam when I was aged about 9 years and concluded it when I was 17 years old. I learnt krsna yajurvedam taittiriya shAkam in full - meaning and including samhitA (only padha pATha and not gaNa pATam), brAhmaNam, Aranyakam and upaniSad under the guidance of my maternal grand father who was a samskrita shiromani and was addressed as brahmarsi by others vAdhyArs in his purOhitam practice.

I think this should quench at least a little bit of your curiosity.

Can we have a personal conversation using PM.

Can we return to the topic?
No disrespect to you Mr. Zebraji.

"We do not have any mention of Weekdays or "vArams" in vedas," you write confidently. Please accept my namaskaarams to your superior Vedic knowledge. "Anantha vai vedaaha," say our Vedams.

So, you have studied and mastered, under proper qualified and experienced aacharyaas, all 1,130 shaakaas of the first three Vedams, i.e. 21 rig-veda shaakaas, 18 shukla-yajur-veda shaakaas, 94 krishna-yajur-veda shaakaas, and 1,000 saama-veda shaakaas. (I am told this achievement takes a few lifetimes. But no matter.)

And you have sieved through them all. You have concluded, through thorough checking and re-checking, that no "vaarams" or weekdays, are mentioned or alluded to. Heartiest congratulations.

There is sarcasm dripping in your post, Sri Narayanaswamy Iyer.

So let us cut some slack and you please be kind enough to quote a mantram from vedA proper from any one of the Rg mandalams, or from either of the two yajurvedams or from any of the 1000 sAma veda shAkAs or from atharva-vEdam which has any word like BhAnu-vAsara, Bhauma-vAsara, bhrugu-vAsara, sthira-vAsara or gruhAs like Shukra, budha or brhuspati etc.Then we will take up the matter further.

I know you must be quite senior to me in age and would not like to contradict or correct you, but your unwarranted attack has compelled me to point out that it is not "Ananatha vai vedaah" but "anantO vai vedAH" - remember vruttAsura episode in vedAs for mispronunciation?

I also have a basic grounding in vedAnga jyotisham and also astrology proper and have a fair bit of idea of when these words entered into our lexicon.

And yes if you intend to point out to parishishtas (translated as appendages to vedAs) particularly atharva-veda parishishtas and yajurveda prashishtas, they are appendages and not vedAs proper.

Last edited:

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

LOL..I dont believe my eyes.

Whatever happened to Vidya Dadati Vinayam?

To be honest you make a lot of spelling mistakes when you type Sanskrit words.

Btw you do not even talk highly about Parasaramuni and Veda Vyasa..calling them mixed blood..half breed..yet you question anothers knowledge about Vedas.

hi

those who studied in veda patashala for more 8 yrs...i studied in chittur veda patashala, chittur,palakkad, kerala....there are

unneccessary ego clashes are going on....this is called PATTAR HYPOCRACY IN PALAKKAD LANGUAGE...BETTER LEARN...

VIDYA DADATI VINAYAM.....this is apt here..

It is true that false stories and facts circulate on the web! But, most of the modern girls want to visit temples with periods,

don't like to prostrate before elders and hate cooking and serving people - especially the in-laws! :(

So do modern boys I think (except the period part). You can also add in drinking and other vices.

Dear still respected Sri Zebra 16 Veteran, Thanks for your clarification:-

"I undertook veda adhyayanam when I was aged about 9 years and concluded it when I was 17 years old. I learnt krsna yajurvedam taittiriya shAkam in full - meaning and including samhitA (only padha pATha and not gaNa pATam), brAhmaNam, Aranyakam and upaniSad under the guidance of my maternal grand father who was a samskrita shiromani and was addressed as brahmarsi by others vAdhyArs in his purOhitam practice."

Delighted with your successful study of the Krishna Yajur Veda Taittireeya shaakaa from ages of 9 to 17.. That means you have not studied the 21 rig-veda shaakaas, the 18 shukla-yajur-veda shaakaas, 93 of the 94 krishna-yajur-veda shaakaas, and none of the 1,000 saama-veda shaakaas.

Why do you then say that nowhere in the Vedams is vaaram or weekday mentioned?

Surely you have a credible answer? Thanks.

For information, I, too have studied the Krishna Yajur Veda taittireeya shaaka, but have not yet finished the Braahmanam, which I am just about to complete. This was because I was particular about my gurus (some were only money-minded and not too proficient), so it was an on-off-on again basis.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear still respected Sri Zebra 16 Veteran, Thanks for your clarification:-

"I undertook veda adhyayanam when I was aged about 9 years and concluded it when I was 17 years old. I learnt krsna yajurvedam taittiriya shAkam in full - meaning and including samhitA (only padha pATha and not gaNa pATam), brAhmaNam, Aranyakam and upaniSad under the guidance of my maternal grand father who was a samskrita shiromani and was addressed as brahmarsi by others vAdhyArs in his purOhitam practice."

Delighted with your successful study of the Krishna Yajur Veda Taittireeya shaakaa from ages of 9 to 17.. That means you have not studied the 21 rig-veda shaakaas, the 18 shukla-yajur-veda shaakaas, 93 of the 94 krishna-yajur-veda shaakaas, and none of the 1,000 saama-veda shaakaas.

For information, I, too have studied the Krishna Yajur Veda taittireeya shaaka, but have not yet finished the Braahmanam, which I am just about to complete. This was because I was particular about my gurus (some were only money-minded and not too proficient), so it was an on-off-on again basis.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Time is running out..better finish Quran too before Imam Mahadi comes.

Because it simply is NOT there. All you have to do is to quote one mantram/passage/hymn from any of the 4 vedas to disprove me. Wont that be simple rather than insisting upon my CV on veda adhyananam?

Leave alone vArams, even there is no mention of any planet (that is a non-star celestial body) and Ketus that appear in vedas are "comets" and not chAya gruha ketu of rAhu/ketu pair.

Manu disparaged astrologer jyotishis giving phalita jyothishm as "nakshatra soochis" and not "gruha soochis"... This should give some pointers.

Last edited:
Mr Zebra

"There is sarcasm dripping in your post, Sri Narayanaswamy Iyer."

Not at all: it was open-mouthed admiration that you have mastered in one lifetime what others take serveral lifetimes to attain. Read episode of Bhaaradvaaja Maharishi in Kaatakam. (I belong to his gothram.)

"Please be kind enough to quote a mantram from vedA proper........"

No, no! You asserted, so you prove.

"It is not "Ananatha vai vedaah" but "anantO vai vedAH" -

Again you are totally wrong. In his speech "Vedas are Without End", the sainted former Mahaa Periyavaa Jagadguru Sree Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi of Kaanchi Kaamakoti Peetam quotes the Vedams as saying

अनंता वै वेदाः

You claim to be greater than the jagadguru?

"Remember vruttAsura episode in vedAs for mispronunciation?"

I remember well the episode of "Tvashta" who performed a homa to obtain "a son who would grow up and destroy Indra". Through intervention of Goddess Sarasvathi whom the devas in desperation approached for help, "Tvashta" mispronounced the manthram 'indrassatrur vardhavasa' so the sought boon became "a son who would grow up and be destroyed by Indra".

Kindly do not get all unduly worked up and misunderstand my high regard for your erudition. Thanks.

Go-braahmanebhyo sukhamasthu nithyam.....

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Mr Zebra

अनंता वै वेदाः

You are copy pasting from other source that too with errors, Sri Iyer.

It is "anantAH vai vedAH" pronounced as "anantO vai vedAH" when words coalesce while reciting. You can refer to taittiriya prAatishAkhyA or sanskrit grammar to know as to why it cant be 'ananthA'.

This is what kAnchi periyaVA has ACTUALLY said :

" "Anantah vai Vedah", the Vedas themselves proclaim so (the Vedas are endless). We cannot claim that all the Vedas have been revealed to the seers. Only about a thousand sakhas or recensions belonging to the four Vedas have been revealed to them.

Last edited:
You are copy pasting from other source that too with errors, Sri Iyer.

It is "anantAH vai vedAH" pronounced as "anantO vai vedAH" when words coalese while reciting. You can refer to taittiriya prAatishAkhyA or sanskrit grammar to know as to why it cant be 'ananthA'.

This is what kAnchi periyaVA has ACTUALLY said :

" "Anantah vai Vedah", the Vedas themselves proclaim so (the Vedas are endless). We cannot claim that all the Vedas have been revealed to the seers. Only about a thousand sakhas or recensions belonging to the four Vedas have been revealed to them.

I guess Iyer ji needs to read about Sandhi rules.

Visargah preceded by अ and followed by a soft consonant or अ... Visargah changes to ओ and the अ changes to Avagraha.

Last edited:
Mr Zebra

"Remember vruttAsura episode in vedAs for mispronunciation?"

I remember well the episode of "Tvashta" who performed a homa to obtain "a son who would grow up and destroy Indra". Through intervention of Goddess Sarasvathi whom the devas in desperation approached for help, "Tvashta" mispronounced the manthram 'indrassatrur vardhavasa' so the sought boon became "a son who would grow up and be destroyed by Indra".

And I was taught to read non-mantrA portions of vedAs in consonance with pUrva-meemamsA and not to take artha-vAdAs literally.

And you might be surprised to note a combination of Firdaus and amrut!!. There is a school in Ahmedabad named "Firdaus Amrut School". Why one needs "amrut" in heaven still beats me !!

http://www.firdausamrutcentreschool.in/home.html

Heaven is where rivers of honey flow..non intoxicating wine too flows..and virgins/apsaras galore.

I hope we females in heaven get some Prabhas or Rana!..that combination is Firdaus and Amrut!

It is "anantAH vai vedAH" pronounced as "anantO vai vedAH" when words coalesce while reciting.

Mr Z, u r just nit-picking.

While we close our eyes to Veda-haters who publicly tar sandhya vandanam as MUMBO JUMBO.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Heaven is where rivers of honey flow..non intoxicating wine too flows..and virgins/apsaras galore.

I hope we females in heaven get some Prabhas or Rana!..that combination is Firdaus and Amrut!

Are you sure Prabhas and Rana are virgins? Or are females not entitled to any virgins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back