• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Marriage cancelled by bride family citing groom is doing Sandhya vandhanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Zebra 16

Thanks for your response. You quote me as saying:-

"We close our eyes to Veda-haters who publicly tar sandhya vandanam as MUMBO JUMBO."

You go on to say:-

"I also refuse to accept Dr Renuka or Sri Prasad1 or Smt RR as 'veda haters'."

Dear Sri Zebra 16, in response to an open challenge by Sri Prasad1, I have already identified as an anti-Brahminist the individual -- a male -- who publicly labelled as MUMBO JUMBO our thri-kaala sandhya-vandanam which involves chanting sacred Veda-manthrams solemnly imparted during Upanayanam. This Veda-hater was not Sri Prasad1. My post was deleted. In another post I identified another anti-Brahminist. That, too was deleted. QED. No more naming anti-Brahminists.

It might very well be that others revel in tarring as MUMBO JUMBO our Vedams, our smruthis, our puranaams, our shaasthrams, indeed the entire corpus of religious learning including jyothisham (Vedic astrology), plus our samskaarams, our devatha-rishi-pithru-manushya-bhootha aaraadhanas, our annual pithru-shraaddhams, our pilgrimmages to Gaya, Kaashi, Prayaaga to perform ancestral rites, our upakarmas.

And others might exist who detest even the very idea of Brahmins actively practising their faith, customs, traditions, rites, rituals, celebrating festivals, preserving learning and values handed down through the generations. We have seen Vinayaka Chathurthi mocked; the Puranic story of the mother of Lord Parasurama, the sixth avathaaram of Bhagavaan Lord Maha Vishnu, dismissed as an anti-women invention by male chauvinists, and even the Bhagavath Geetha tarnished by attacking Sri Krishna's devotee Arjuna as a stuntsman.

So long as these folk do not issue provocative statements but keep their simmering sentiments within themselves, I shall not feel impelled to respond. If they have a right to lead lives as they wish, so have I. "Nemo me impune lacessit."

My last post addressed to you was prompted by your indicating an apparent interest in studying the Koran to be followed by studying the Hadiths. So I merely wanted to give you a foretaste of what is in store. Two more authentic Koranic pearls:-

The Confederate Tribes 33.50 - Prophet, We have made lawful to you the wives to whom you have granted dowries and the slave-girls whom God has given you as booty; the daughters of your paternal and maternal uncles and of your paternal and maternal aunts, and any believing woman who gives herself to you and whom you wish to marry.

Women 4.34 - Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts..... As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action.

"Who but one's own self can get rid of the bondage caused by the fetters of ignorance (of our own nature as the blissful Self), desire, action and the like, aye, even in a hundred crore of cycles (duration of the evolved universe)?" - Viveka Choodaamani slokam 55.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Btw Sir...I wonder...how come there is a disconnect.
Here you are lamenting that someone painted Arjuna in not so good light but I remember very well you did not have very good words describing Lord Krishna..ParasaraMuni..Veda Vyasa elsewhere in Bhagavata Puran.thread until the starter of that.thread was very upset with your usage of strong adjectives.

So why lament here my dear?
Kutas Tvam Kasmalam Idam ?

Last edited:
Dear Sri Ganesh 65

You advise:-

"Instead of wasting your time and energy on repeatedly explaining something which every one knows........"

Many thanks.

Have always respected your great tolerance and deep learning, and am following your current series on Vedic Astrology with keen interest. Especially since your contributions match the contents of "How to Judge a Horoscope" Vols I and II by the late Brahmashri Bangalore Venkata Raman, longtime Editor of The Astrological Magazine (English language) (779 pp), and "Sampoorna Jaathaka-Ganitham" by Dr P S Nair, published in Malayaalam by Vidyaarambham Publications, Mullaikkal, Aalappuzha, Kerala (692 pp), among others.

What I was not sure, in replyng to Sri Zebra16, was that everyone in this forum already knows the works I mentioned, i.e. the Koran, the Dhammapada, the Torah and the Tanukh, the Apocrypha, the Christian Bible, the four Christian Gospels, the Nit-nem and the Sukhmani of the Sikhs, the Shia Revival, Baha'u'llah and the News Order, Muhammad, The Sword of the Prophet, and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Be that as it may, shall take your advice seriously and try to follow it.

Thanks again, and Namaskaarams

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sri Ganesh 65

You advise:-

"Instead of wasting your time and energy on repeatedly explaining something which every one knows........"

Many thanks.

Have always respected your great tolerance and deep learning, and am following your current series on Vedic Astrology with keen interest. Especially since your contributions match the contents of "How to Judge a Horoscope" Vols I and II by the late Brahmashri Bangalore Venkata Raman, longtime Editor of The Astrological Magazine (English language) (779 pp), and "Sampoorna Jaathaka-Ganitham" by Dr P S Nair, published in Malayaalam by Vidyaarambham Publications, Mullaikkal, Aalappuzha, Kerala (692 pp), among others.

What I was not sure, in replyng to Sri Zebra16, was that everyone in this forum already knows the works I mentioned, i.e. the Koran, the Dhammapada, the Torah and the Tanukh, the Apocrypha, the Christian Bible, the four Christian Gospels, the Nit-nem and the Sukhmani of the Sikhs, the Shia Revival, Baha'u'llah and the News Order, Muhammad, The Sword of the Prophet, and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Be that as it may, shall take your advice seriously and try to follow it.

Thanks again, and Namaskaarams

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Thanks Shri Iyerji,

I have not seen the works by Brahmashri Banglore Venkata Raman on judging horoscope. The book you referred by Dr. P S Nair is in my possession and I am a great fan of this book. It is so simple and elaborate. I think he should have released an english version so that it reaches more people. Sorry no idea about rest of the texts referred above. I do have a copy of Holy Bible with me, but not went much into that. It was presented to me by one of my well wishers who incidentally also happened to be a father in a church. Thanks again..

Btw Sir...I wonder...how come there is a disconnect.
Here you are lamenting that someone painted Arjuna in not so good light but I remember very well you did not have very good words describing Lord Krishna..ParasaraMuni..Veda Vyasa elsewhere in Bhagavata Puran.thread until the starter of that.thread was very upset with your usage of strong adjectives.

So why lament here my dear?
Kutas Tvam Kasmalam Idam ?

This is "enakku vandha rattham, unakku vandha thakkali chutney" syndrome !!! :)

The boy is lucky. Doing sandhyaavandhanam saved him from a disaster. This alone is enough to prove the power of sandhyavandhanam!

Dear RR ji..

Overall men think women get impressed with acting holy.
When I got newly married my husband would do meditation..pooja...prayers etc.

I was thinking OMG..why is he so holy?
What if he expects me to follow suit?

Then he realized I never really got impressed with ritualism and he slowly cut down the intensity of all his prayers..pooja and meditation!! LOL

But we escalated into philosophical discussion of the Vedanta Advaita kind..
That I prefered.

Dear Ganesh Sir,

You have done your bit! :cool:
Let us wait and watch, for any changes! :ranger:
unnamed.png

Dear Renu,

Might not think so, now! See, the girl in OP 'refused' to marry a holy guy! ;)
At least there is one exception I know RRji
One gentle man known to me who is in to Purohitam for a lively hood, was in love with a girl of the same community. He was also chased by two more girls before he finally settled down with his lady love. I got a lot of wrath from his relatives since I also played a little part in their marriage..

At least there is one exception I know RRji .......
Dear Ganesh Sir,

There might be many more, which we don't know! Here I give two famous personalities.

A well versed scholar, who gives many upanyAsams in Tamil and Malayalam, was chased by and educated girl, who wanted to

follow ALL madi and AchArams of brahmins and got married to him. She listens to many of his upanyasams with attention. :thumb:

We all know another famous lady-in-madisAr, who chose to give kathAkAlakshEpams, after completing her CA in flying coulors!

She married her Guru's son, also a great scholar! :)

Dear Ganesh Sir,

There might be many more, which we don't know! Here I give two famous personalities.

A well versed scholar, who gives many upanyAsams in Tamil and Malayalam, was chased by and educated girl, who wanted to

follow ALL madi and AchArams of brahmins and got married to him. She listens to many of his upanyasams with attention. :thumb:

We all know another famous lady-in-madisAr, who chose to give kathAkAlakshEpams, after completing her CA in flying coulors!

She married her Guru's son, also a great scholar! :)
hi

is it vishakha ravi?.....

Vishaka Hari has performed in several sabhas during the Chennai Music Season since 2006.

Vishaka Hari occasionally performs with her husband, Sri Hari (son of Paranur Mahatma Krishna Premi Anna), to supplement

her kathakalakshepam performances. An artist of All India Radio, she has given discourses and concerts abroad.

Her brother, Saketharaman, also a disciple of Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman, is one of the leading carnatic musicians in India.

Source: Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back