• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us familiarise ourselves with Rigveda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaste Sri Sangom,

“Scholarly opinion is that the original sacrifices envisaged and referred to in the rigveda could not have been so elaborate as yajurveda has made them out to be today. There is one view that the sacrifice which started as a means of appeasing different deities, got themselves transformed into an independent "entity" of its own (yajnam) by the time the yajurvedaic priesthood continuously elaborated it (yajnam).”
This is yet another of the mysteries. I can understand the self-interest of the officiating priests or brahmanas in elaborating the rituals to unimaginable levels. But why did the others (like the rulers or kshatriyas) acquiesce without too much of opposition? I am just looking for inferences and not necessarily authenticated scholarly versions here
“To categorise into very clearly marked "knowledge, or else mumbo jumbo" may not, in my opinion, be the right approach as regards the vedas. The point about which you have not said anything is what is your expectation of "knowledge”

Thank u for bringing out this perspective. What is or what was my expectation of knowledge? Frankly I do not know. Probably I guessed that the knowledge contained in Vedas may fill in the gaps in the knowledge available in secular sciences.
“For example, can we say a novel is devoid of knowledge?”
The novel cannot be said to be devoid of knowledge, surely. But we do not commit the novel to memory, like for example multiplication tables of the recent times (or Vedas of the past times). In that sense the knowledge of multiplication tables is primary whereas the knowledge of a novel is secondary. Till the advent of calculators and computers and even now-a-days a child spends a lot of time in committing to memory the multiplication tables (upto a manageable level), vocabulary and grammar rules etc (of a language) because the parents feel that the said knowledge will stand in good stead throughout the child’s life. Whether the Vedas contained/ contains such knowledge and which the present day generation is unable to decipher, is the thought I have.
Finally, is there a translation of taittiriya brahmanam or taittiriya aranyaka in English or Tamil and if yes, can you please let me have the name of the books or the publishers?
Regards
narayan

Namaste Sri Sangom,

“Scholarly opinion is that the original sacrifices envisaged and referred to in the rigveda could not have been so elaborate as yajurveda has made them out to be today. There is one view that the sacrifice which started as a means of appeasing different deities, got themselves transformed into an independent "entity" of its own (yajnam) by the time the yajurvedaic priesthood continuously elaborated it (yajnam).”
This is yet another of the mysteries. I can understand the self-interest of the officiating priests or brahmanas in elaborating the rituals to unimaginable levels. But why did the others (like the rulers or kshatriyas) acquiesce without too much of opposition? I am just looking for inferences and not necessarily authenticated scholarly versions here

Shri Narayan,

Just inference/s by ordinary people like me may not convince anyone. When we talk about those ancient days, one point we have to remember that many rulers were not always (even more often than not) blue-blooded kshatriya stock, but whoever was a victor claimed the throne and kingship. The priesthood made good use of this also.

As you know, all dvijas are empowered to have yagas performed by the priests on payment of dakshina. In a yagavedi, even the king or ruler was required to sit cross-legged on the floor level, below the level of the priests, thus making definite psychological gain for the priests (Brahmans). Consequently, the ruler (king) could not be expected to question the procedures of the yaga which would have made him a persona non grata for Brahmans. Hence unless there was a pure kshatriya king who did not believe in the vedic religion or was out to destroy it, no criticism could have been made. But he would own his kshatriyahood itself to the vedic religion. It is just like what the priests do today in temples or even what the vadhyar does in our household rites; do we possess the requisite knowledge to question him and correct him?

One more point is that the non-descript rulers always depended upon the sanctification of their kshatriya status by Brahmans (priests). Asvamedham, Rajasuyam, etc., were the devices for achieving this.

There is this mantra "tasmāt somarājānāḥ brāhmaṇāḥ" which implies that irrespective of whoever the earthly king may be, Soma is the king of Brahmans. You may also be familiar with "somo vā etasya rājyam ādhatte | yo rājā san rājyo vā somena yajate ||"; this means "soma is giving this rājya to this (king). He who is king does yajana with soma (the herb)." Once again we find the temporal kingship is at the mercy and grace of the divine soma who is the real king of the Brahmans.

Once a king was thus given formal recognition and sanctification by Brahmans as kshatriya, the Brahmans also invented suitable and appropriate lineages in which to fix the new-found kshatriya and his lineage. (Mainly we have three hallowed kshatriya lines, surya vamsa, chandra vamsa and agni vamsa, and most historic dynasties claim affiliation to one of these and have puranic approval in most cases.)

“To categorise into very clearly marked "knowledge, or else mumbo jumbo" may not, in my opinion, be the right approach as regards the vedas. The point about which you have not said anything is what is your expectation of "knowledge”
Thank u for bringing out this perspective. What is or what was my expectation of knowledge? Frankly I do not know. Probably I guessed that the knowledge contained in Vedas may fill in the gaps in the knowledge available in secular sciences.
This is a notion which many Tabra people - young and old - still harbour in their fervent hope that the vedas, which they have all these millenia, have been worshipping as containing sacred, esoteric knowledge, do not prove at last to be a lot of chaff with a few grains of knowledge in it.

“For example, can we say a novel is devoid of knowledge?”
The novel cannot be said to be devoid of knowledge, surely. But we do not commit the novel to memory, like for example multiplication tables of the recent times (or Vedas of the past times). In that sense the knowledge of multiplication tables is primary whereas the knowledge of a novel is secondary. Till the advent of calculators and computers and even now-a-days a child spends a lot of time in committing to memory the multiplication tables (upto a manageable level), vocabulary and grammar rules etc (of a language) because the parents feel that the said knowledge will stand in good stead throughout the child’s life. Whether the Vedas contained/ contains such knowledge and which the present day generation is unable to decipher, is the thought I have.
Finally, is there a translation of taittiriya brahmanam or taittiriya aranyaka in English or Tamil and if yes, can you please let me have the name of the books or the publishers?
Regards
narayan
You will agree that today children even in India are not compelled to learn multiplication tables. All "rote learning" is on the way out and in exams children are allowed to refer to the relevant text books. So, what we learnt for centuries by rote learning can become no longer useful if there are other methods to achieve the purpose. In the case of the vedic sacrifices many became near-obsolete many centuries ago. On a rough estimate I feel more than 50% of yajurveda and more than 75% of sama veda is not useful today. In a place like Trivandrum there is today just a lone, very old sama vedi priest; that shows the demand for sama chanting too. Still, I definitely feel that it is necessary to preserve our scriptures and the various chanting methods. It can be done today by making audio/video recordings and preserving them. Alternatively (and especially since Shri Jayendra Saraswathi has blessed two political outfits too, now) it will be worthwhile to open the learning of vedas and reciting these to all those youngsters of the Hindu fold irrespective of caste or gender, IMO. This will stimulate more enquiry into the real import and purpose of the vedas and bring out hidden meanings, if any.

When you say"Whether the Vedas contained/ contains such knowledge and which the present day generation is unable to decipher, is the thought I have." you forget that personalities like Adisankara, Ramanuja, Madhvacharya, etc., - whom we revere as super intellects - did not find it necessary to deal with vedas but concentrated on the "prasthaanatrayee" only. Does it give you some idea about the usefulness of the vedas?

Last edited:
The (rays of the) black-backed, all-sustaining (Agni) have arisen and pervaded the parents(heaven and earth) and the flowing rivers. The surrounding parents co-operate with him and bestow long life for the sake of assiduous worship.

The seven tones risen from the white-backed viand have made their way between the pair of mothers. Both circumjacent(?) parents come together to yield us length of days . They hasten forward.

Both the above are translations of the same rk. 3-7-1 The first is by Wilson (Who seems to follow Sayana). The second is by Griffith.

While the latter translates सप्तवाणीः as seven tones and makes it the subject of the sentence, the former explains it as सर्पणस्वभाव नदीः flowing rivers and makes it the object of the sentence. Further शितिपृष्ट is interpreted differently by both - black-backed and white-backed. Both of them are silent about the meaning of the word आरुः.

Kindly enlighten me on the correct meaning of the rk in keeping with the general tone of the full Veda.

This is one of the hundreds of unintelligible rks I have come across.

vikrama

Dear Shri Vikrama,

I have to admit that my knowledge of scriptures is nothing in front of your vast erudition. Still, as the saying goes, வேஷம் கெட்டினால் ஆடத்தான் வேண்டும் (veṣam keṭṭiṉāl āṭattāṉ veṇṭum), and so, I venture with some trepidation.

You will kindly observe that up to and including III.29 (which is aṣṭaka 3- adhyāyas 1 & 2) the devata is agni. III-21 is about the oblation of vapā in the yāgāgni. Hence I am led to presume that III.7.1 (which is aṣṭaka 3- adhyāya 1- ṛk 1) also is addressed to that wildly flaming yāgagni when the vapā is put into the fire. (I am making a separate post under this thread itself, in respect of vapā and about yajurveda, in response to the query by Shri Zebra.) When the vapā is dipped in ghee and offered as oblation, the fire rises very high and fierce (since the vapā also is essentially animal fat of a certain type). I feel the ṛgvedic bard who sang this verse, must have seen the blue sky forming the background of the rising flames. (We are not sure whether in those ṛgvedic times they built yāgaśālās as seen in the later brāhmaṇa literature.) Therefore, it will not be off the mark if we ascribe the meaning "blue backed" for the word śitipṛṣṭha.

There are 12 ṛtviks - not counting the udgātā and his aides - of which seven are vaṣaṭkartās and five are adhvaryus, in a yāga. A clear reference to this comes in III-7-07 as "adhvaryubhiḥ pañcabhissaptaviprāḥ". To me therefore, this ṛk III-07-01 has been put out of place; it ought to have come after III-21-5, after the five ṛks which refer to the vapā being dipped in ghee and offered as havis. If this inference is accepted, the word "saptavāṇī" will naturally refer to the seven vaṣaṭkartas' voices (vāṇī) which also probably seemed to be permeated by the rising flames, in the imagination of the bard.

प्रय आरुश्शिति पृष्ठस्यधासॆ-

रामातराविविशुस्सप्तवाणीः ।
परिक्षिता पितरा संचरॆतॆ
प्रसर्‌स्रातॆ दीर्घमायुः प्रयक्षॆ ॥ ऋ. वॆ. ३.०७.०१

praya āruśśiti pṛṣṭhasyadhāse-

rāmātarāviviśussaptavāṇīḥ |
parikṣitā pitarā saṃcarete
prasar–srāte dīrghamāyuḥ prayakṣe || ṛ. ve. 3.07.01

ப்ரய ஆருச் சிதி ப்ருஷ்டஸ்ய தாஸே-

ராமாதராவிவிசுஸ் ஸப்தவாணீஃ |
பரிக்ஷிதா பிதரா ஸம்சரேதே
ப்ரஸர்ஸ்ராதே தீர்க்கமாயுஃ ப்ரயக்ஷே || ரிக்வேதம் ௩.0௭.0௧

praya āruh(ś) = (ye raśmayaḥ) prakarṣeṇodgacchanti (te) = (those) rays which ascend

śiti pṛṣṭhasya = nīlapṛṣṭhasya = having blue base (back)
dhāseh(r) = sarvasya dhārayituḥ agne = agni who bears everything
mātarā āviviśuh(s) = dyāvāpṛthivyau sarvataḥ praviṣṭāḥ = entered everywhere (permeated) in the earth and sky
sapta vāṇīḥ = sarpaṇasvabhāvā nadī (ca āviviśuḥ) = (and also entered the) rivers which flow
pari kṣitā pitarā = parito vartamāne pitarau, dyāvāpṛthivyau = parents who are present everywhere (omnipresent)
saṃcarete = (tenāgninā) samyak vyavaharataḥ = (due to that agni) function properly
dīrghamāyuḥ pra sarsrāte = ciram jīvanam prasārayataḥ, sampādayataḥ = (they) bestow long life
pra yakṣe = (tathā) prakarṣeṇa yaṣṭum = for performing yajñas specially

The above seems to be sāyaṇa’s commentary. He has not omitted the word "pra āruḥ", but has supplied the additional "ye raśmayaḥ ...te" to clarify.

The meaning as per my interpretation will be somewhat as shown below:

The rays of agni, who bears everything, with the blue background, have ascended to both the earth and sky who, like parents, are present everywhere, and those rays permeated the earth and sky as also the sound of the seven vaṣaṭkartas. (Since) the parents - dyāvāpṛthivyau - themselves function properly on account of that agni, they will bestow long life to those who make such sacrfices so that they are enabled to do more and more such sacrifices.

I may be excused for a digression here because some readers may not be fully aware of what vapā is etc. Shri Zebra also had made some query regarding the yajurveda. I am attempting to cover both these aspects as best as is possible for me, in a post like this.

1. Shri zebra16 (Narayan) had stated in post# 94 as follows:—

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/scriptures/5385-let-us-familiarise-ourselves-rigveda-10.html#post73812
"My question is primarily this:

I belong to yajurveda, taittiriya sakha. With basic limitation of my Sanskrit knowledge, I tried to know what is in the veda of my shakha, basically through translations. I could not know what is the central theme of my veda shakaha. How the mantras starting from “Ishe Tvaa, urje tvaa (in samhita) leads me to “Brahma sanDhattam tan me jinvatam” (in brahmanam) how it progresses to aruna praSnam (aaranyaka) and how it culminates in Sheekshaavalli etc. in the taittiriya upaniSad."

I will try to give the meanings of the portions from samhita and brāhmaṇa which you quote.

इषे त्वॊर्जॆ त्वा वायवः स्थोपायवः स्थ दॆवॊ वः सविता प्रार्पयतु श्रॆष्ठ्तमाय कर्मण आ प्यायध्वमघ्निया देवभागमूर्जस्वतीः पयस्वतीः प्रजावतीरनमीवा अयक्ष्मा मा वः स्तॆन ईशत माघशँ सो रुद्रस्य हेतिः परि वॊ वृणक्तु ध्रुवा अस्मिन् गोपतौ स्यात बह्वीर्यजमानस्य पशून्पाहि ॥तै. कृ. य. वॆ, १-१-०१॥

iṣe tvorje tvā vāyavaḥ sthopāyavaḥ stha devo vaḥ savitā prārpayatu śreṣṭhtamāya karmaṇa ā pyāyadhvamaghniyā devabhāgamūrjasvatīḥ payasvatīḥ prajāvatīranamīvā ayakṣmā mā vaḥ stena īśata māghaśam̐ so rudrasya hetiḥ pari vo vṛṇaktu dhruvā asmin gopatau syāta bahvīryajamānasya paśūnpāhi ||tai. kṛ. ya. ve, 1-1-01||

1. iṣe tvā ūrje tvā = For food thee, for strength thee ! (This mantra is chanted while cutting a twig or branch of a tree or plant, with which)
2. vāyavaḥ sthopāyavaḥ stha = Ye are winds, ye are approachers. (the calves, which drink from the cows' udders, are driven away.)
3. devo vaḥ savitā prārpayatu śreṣṭhtamāya karmaṇ(a)e = Let the god Savitr impel you to the most excellent offering.
4. ā pyāyadhvamaghniyā devabhāgamūrjasvatīḥ: payasvatīḥ prajāvatīranamīvā ayakṣmā = O invincible ones, swell with the share for the gods; full of strength, of milk, rich in offspring, free from sickness, from disease.
5. mā vaḥ stena īśata māghaśam̐ s(o)ah = Let no thief, no evil worker, have control over you.
6. rudrasya hetiḥ pari vo vṛṇaktu = Let Rudra's dart avoid you.
7. dhruvā asmin gopatau syāta bahvī(r)h = Abide ye, numerous, with this lord of cattle.
(3 to 7 are addressed to the cows, and they are milked, after reciting 8 to the tree branch which was used to drive away the calves in the beginning. This is the first step for the darśapūrṇamāsa sacrifice, to be done on every New Moon and Full Moon day.)
8. yajamānasya paśūnpāhi = Do thou protect the cattle of the sacrificer. (This mantra is to be addressed to the branch - stick - which was used to drive away the calves from the cows.

[Note: The English translation is from A.B. Keith's Taittiriya Sanhita]

Coming to taittirīya brāhmaṇa, of the kṛṣṇa yajurveda, it is more of a continuation of the taittirīya saṃhitā, as the brāhmaṇas are included in the saṃhitā. So, the taittirīya brāhmaṇa, contains only later additions to the saṃhitā. The most important additional material in the taittirīya brāhmaṇa is abaut "puruṣamedha" or human sacrifice, which is not present in the saṃhitā. Probably this idea of puruṣamedha was one of the later inventions of the priesthood as they went on finding ways and means to make the yajña or sacrifice itself more elaborate and complicated ritual which only the priesthood understood.

Let us now see what "brahma saṃdhattam tanme jinvatam etc.," mean. I have not found any source of translation and so the meaning in English is mine own; knowledgeable members may kindly point out corrections.

"brahma saṃdhattam tanme jinvatam |" is the first line; in subsequent lines the saṃdhattam and me jinvatam are repeated like refrain. Here brahma and kṣatra have to be considered together and understood as the unified force or power of brāhmaṇas (people, not the scriptural texts) and the reigning power of kṣatriyas (which perhaps was an outcome of a tussle for supremacy between the priestly class and the temporal ruling classes, and the reason for the original rājanya - royal - of the puruṣasūkta becoming kṣatriya or 'one who protects from injury'.)

The above line, therefore, means "the brāhmaṇa power" is united (with me), may it impel me.

Then follow a list of items— kṣatraḥ (the power of rulers), iṣaḥ (food), ūrjaḥ (force, energy), rayiḥ (wealth), puṣṭiḥ (nourishment), prajā (offspring), and paśavaḥ (animals). each of these is claimed to be united with the reciter and that such union may impel the reciter to action (doing the sacrifice). At the end, comes "stutosi janadhāḥ | devāstvā śukrapā praṇayantu |" (Worshipped, praised are (you) nourishing creatures : the pure soma-drinking devas lead you."

This could be considered as an invocatory yajus.

It will thus be seen that the "iṣe tvā ūrje tvā" of the samhitā does not have an invocatory tinge at all; the samhitā is very business like and straight away starts with the milking of cows for the sacrifice and has very little to do with the "brahma saṃdhattam tanme jinvatam |" of the brāhmaṇa. The former does not lead one to the latter in any conceivable rational manner.

Coming next to the āraṇyaka, the first mantra of the first anuvāka, we have the well-known "bhadram karṇebhiḥ śṛṇuyāma devāḥ etc." is an invocatory verse (mantra). The āruṇapraśna which consists of the first 32 anuvākas of the taittirīya āraṇyaka and contains many topica besides prayers to the sun god, discussion about kāla mṛtyu and akāla mṛtyu, prayers to devatās to thwart such mṛtyu, prayers to aśvinī devas, indra, vāyu, parjanya (rain god), and agni, various hells, jala devatā (ap) - the well-known mantra puṣpam -, creation, some matters relating to yāga, the seven dhātus of the body liberation, vaiśvānara yajña, samvatsara vrata, etc.

Hence, once again it is seen that you cannot have any logical sequencing of the saṃhitā, brāhmaṇa and āraṇyaka corpuses.

In many of the yajñas described in some saṃhitas and brāhmaṇas of the yajurveda and sāmaveda, including the somayāga, animals are required to be killed after being muzzled (closing their mouth being tied tightly so that they won't be able to produce any sound during death), such sounds being considered ill-omen for the yajña. The brāhmaṇa texts give details of how and where to cut the carcass of such killed animal, which portions to be given (for being consumed) to each priest taking part in the yajña, etc. The caul (greater omentum, gastrocolic omentum, Part of the peritoneum attached to the stomach and to the colon and covering the intestines) which looks like silk paper as per knowledgeable Brahmans, is collected after removing all the refuse present in a bull's hide (go tvac). This caul is vapā and it is obligatory to offer this into the yāgāgni, when the sacrificial fire burns very bright and with high flames.

In the ordinary somayāga the two rams which draw the vehicle in which the uprooted soma plants are to be brought to the place of sacrifice, are to be killed as described above and their vapā offered as oblation.

(I have heard from a dīkṣitar - one who has performed somayaga - who was my college mate's grandfather, talking to a group of very orthodox Brahmans - some 55 years ago - that the ram has to be killed in what appeared to me, a most heinous manner; he said "நவத்வாரங்களையும் அடைத்து ப்ராஹ்மணர்கள் கையால் இடித்துக் கொல்லவேண்டும்" [stuffing all the nine orifices, hitting it with fists by Brahmans].) The actual practice of minutiae of the different sacrifices or yāgas varied so widely with the result that the yajurveda reportedly had the maximum number of śākhās. In other places like north India, most probably the animals were muzzled alright but slaughtered with reciting of prescribed mantras by the priest whose duty it was, but others did not probably take any part till the animal was dead completely when the markings were made as to where the cuts ought to be, which portion should be given to which priest (for part oblation and part consumption as yajñaśiṣṭam). Even in the matter of eating the meat, different practices seemed to have prevailed; one was to eat it raw, another was to mix it with flour, cook or fry it and then eat.

In the more elaborate yajñas like aśvamedha a large number of animals - running into hundreds - are to be killed. (One can well imagine how many innocent animals would have been so killed mercilessly on the basis of some harebrained ideas of priesthood, in the daśāśvamedha ghāṭ in kāśi!). There are mentions about naramedha or puruṣamedha (human sacrifice) as also ass sacrifice in yv.

In 2007 there was reportedly a yāgam conducted in Kumbhakonam in which the Brahmans had readied 18 goats to be killed. Intervention by the police and animal rights actvists prevented slaying of all but one of these animals. One Sankaracharya was supposed to have been associated with that yaga.

"The Brahmasutra says: "Asuddhamiti cen na sabdat". The performance of sacrifices is based on scriptural authority and it is part of the quest for Self realisation. So how can it be called an impure act? How do we determine whether or not an object or an act is impure or whether it is good or bad? We do so by judging it according to the authority of of the sastras. Vyasa goes on to state in his Brahmasutra that animal sacrifice is not sinful since the act is permeated by the sound of the Vedas. What is pure or impure is to be known by the authority provided by the Vedas or rather their sound called Sabdapramana. If sacrifices were impure acts according to the Vedas, they would not have accepted them as part of the Atmic quest."
The above was part of the long justification for animal sacrifice attributed to senior Kanchi Acharya in one web page.
(Sankarachari Yagam Controversy in KumbakoNam - Sulekha coffeehouse Forums)

Yajurveda (taittirīya kṛṣṇa) saṃhitā deals with the undernoted yajñas which require animal sacrifice:-

The vājapeya (21 animals to be sacrificed; 17 cups of "surā" are also to be used in this), the rājasūya (a ritual extending to two years; it also involves animals to be sacrificed), the soma yajña, the sautrāmaṇī, the prāvargya, the agnicayana, the aśvamedha, and the puruṣamedha. In all these animal sacrifice is involved.

"Though the Rājasūya is full of interesting magic rites, and though it has a wide range of parallels in the consecration rites of all coronations, there is little that need be said in addition to Weber's elaborate account of its character. The important feature of the whole is the fact that the king is sharply distinguished from the priests : the proclamation tells the people that so-and-so is their king, but the Brahmans add that their king is Soma. The distinction shows that for vedic India at least the connexion of royalty with priestly rank, if it ever had been a motive of the growth of the kingship, had long disappeared before the time of the Sanhitas." [A.B. Keith]

Last edited:
Dear Sri Sangom,
Could you please elaborate the meaning of Rk 3-7-2 with particular reference to ऋतस्य सदसि. This word rtam has been translated variously as water, sacrifice and many others by Sayana. On the other hand, Griffith translates it as order and divine law in most cases. Kindly enlighten.
vikrama

Dear Sri Sangom,
Could you please elaborate the meaning of Rk 3-7-2 with particular reference to ऋतस्य सदसि. This word rtam has been translated variously as water, sacrifice and many others by Sayana. On the other hand, Griffith translates it as order and divine law in most cases. Kindly enlighten.
vikrama

दिवक्षसो धॆनवॊ वृष्णो अश्वा
दॆवीरातस्थौ मधुमद् वहन्तीः ।
ऋतस्यत्वा सदसि क्षेमयन्तम्
पर्येका चरति वर्तनिम् गौः ॥ ऋ. वे. ३-०७-०२

divakṣaso dhenavo vṛṣṇo aśvā
devīrātasthau madhumad vahantīḥ |
ṛtasyatvā sadasi kṣemayantam
paryekā carati vartanim gauḥ || ṛ. ve. 3-07-02

திவக்ஷஸோ தேனவோ வ்ருஷ்ணோ அச்வா
தேவீராதஸ்தௌ மதுமத் வஹந்தீஃ |
றுதஸ்யத்வா சதசி க்ஷேமயந்தம்
பர்யேகா சரதி வர்தனீம் கௌஃ || ரிக்வேதம் ௩-0௭-0௨

I am giving Wilson's translation, which follows sāyaṇa and looks better, below:

The sky-traversing steeds of the showerer (of
benefits)
are the milch kine (of Agni) ; as he attains
the divine (rivers), bearers of sweet (water.) One
sacred sound glorifies thee (Agni), who art desirous
of repose, pacifying (thy flames) in the abode of the
water (the firmament).

Except Agni for clarifying the import of "thee" (tvā) the rest of the implied additions seem to be contrived in order to fit this verse into a praise of agni, because the devatā for this entire hymn has been designated as agni.

If now, we look at the other possible interpretations of the words, the scenario becomes somewhat as under:—

divakṣasaḥ = living in heaven, heavenly
dhenavaḥ ( can be plural of dhenu (mf) only) = milch, yielding or giving milk; f. a milch cow or any cow, RV.&c.&c. ; metaph. = the earth, MBh. xiii, 3165 ; (I feel the meaning 'cow' or 'milch cow' will be most suitable here.)
vṛṣṇo = manly, vigorous, powerful, strong, mighty, great
devīḥ = uṣaḥ (ushas) - this meaning can be found in RV vii,75,7
go, gauḥ = sky

Based on the above, may I venture to put forward a radically new (and therefore heretical, perhaps) meaning for this verse?

देवीः आतस्थौ, धॆनवो मधुमद्वहन्तीः, ऋतस्य सदसि क्षॆमयन्तम् वर्तनिम् त्वा एका परिचरति गौः दिवक्षसः वृष्णो अश्वाः ॥

devīḥ ātasthau, dhenavo madhumadvahantīḥ, ṛtasya sadasi kṣemayantam vartanim tvā ekā paricarati gauḥ divakṣasaḥ vṛṣṇo aśvāḥ ||

It will mean—

The uṣas has come, the cows carry sweet milk, (and) you (sun), drawn by strong and heavenly horses, traverse the sky, alone, in order to ensure that the eternal law (ṛtaḥ) works for (everyone's) well-being.

Here, agni goes out of the scene and uṣas as well as sun come in; hence, the devatā will have to be changed.

I request Shri Vikrama to kindly let me know if there is any grammatical or other flaws in the above deduction.

Last edited:
Namaste Sri Sangom,

This is a quick thank you for the extra-ordinary trouble you have taken to clarify my doubts. I shall revert back after digesting the information provided by you.

I would be obliged if you could give the quote for the mantra (viz. samhita/brahmana adhyaya, mantra no. etc.), {that is only if you can track the mantra without too much trouble} for the mantra you had previously stated)"somo va ethasya raajyam aaDhatte.. yo raaja san raajyo vaa somena yajathe... etc.... till devasu raaja bhavathi.... and also its meaning (this mantra is mostly used for karpoora neeranjam by smarthas)

Regards,

narayan

Namaste Sri Sangom,

This is a quick thank you for the extra-ordinary trouble you have taken to clarify my doubts. I shall revert back after digesting the information provided by you.

I would be obliged if you could give the quote for the mantra (viz. samhita/brahmana adhyaya, mantra no. etc.), {that is only if you can track the mantra without too much trouble} for the mantra you had previously stated)"somo va ethasya raajyam aaDhatte.. yo raaja san raajyo vaa somena yajathe... etc.... till devasu raaja bhavathi.... and also its meaning (this mantra is mostly used for karpoora neeranjam by smarthas)

Regards,

narayan

Shri Narayan,

I give below what little I know about the mantra referred to by you. In case you have further queries relating to Yajurveda, kindly start a new thread with a suitable title so that this thread can be devoted to rigveda only.

taittirīya brāhmaṇa 1-7-4-1 deals with what is known as the "devasū" oblations preceding the actual anointing of the king in rājasūya. I reproduce the relevant portion here:

[FONT=&quot]दॆवसुवामॆतानि हवीँषि भवन्ति ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]एतावन्तो वै देवानाँ सवाः ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]त एवास्मै सवान् प्रयच्छन्ति ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]त एनँ सुवन्तॆ ।[/FONT]

devasuvāmetāni havīm̐ṣi bhavanti |
etāvanto vai devānām̐ savāḥ |
ta evāsmai savān prayacchanti |
ta enam̐ suvante |

"devasū" is the name given to eight vedic deities - agni (gṛhapatiḥ), somo (vanaspatiḥ), savitṛ (satyaprasavaḥ), bṛhaspati (vācaspatiḥ), indra (jyeṣṭhaḥ), mitra (satyaḥ), varuṇo (dharmapatiḥ), and rudraḥ (paśupati). Each of these is designated by the special adjective and it is believed that these eight "devasū deities -divine impellers/quickeners" bestow their divine qualities immediately to the aspirant (for kingship) who gets the rājasūya performed in order to sanctify his kingship. Typical of Sanskrit, there are two meanings adopted for the word devasū; these eight devasūs are impellers of all devas to endow the aspirant with their divine qualities, or, these are the devas who impel the aspirant to divine nature.

An animal (goat) is first sacrificed for agni and soma. Then 'puroḍāśa’ (modern ‘paraattha’) are prepared with flour of eight different grains as specified in the texts and offered to the eight devasūs. (Some scholars trace the "paalikai" in current practice to this devasū offerings of yore.) Then the anointing ceremony starts. The above lines form part of the mantra for giving the eight oblations stated above and their meaning will approximately be:

"These (etāni-[FONT=&quot]இவைகள்[/FONT]) form the oblations/offerings (havīm̐ṣi) for the devasūs. So great verily is the impulse (power)of the devas, (that) that alone stretches out for this (asmai[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]இதற்க்காக[/FONT][FONT=&quot])[/FONT]. That impels this (enam - [FONT=&quot]இவனை[/FONT][FONT=&quot])[/FONT]."

The nīrājana mantra makes a significant addition to the last line, "punaḥ suvante rājyāya" or "that impels this again for kingship (royalty)".

The first portion 'somo vā etasya rājyam ādhatte yo rājāsan rājyo vā somena yajate', will mean, "soma (the deity) bestows the kingship to this, who is the royal or on the throne, (and) sacrifices with soma (the plant)".

Thus the nīrājana mantra will mean -

"soma (the deity) bestows the kingship to this who is the royal or on the throne (and) sacrifices with soma (the plant). These (etāni) form the oblations/offerings (havīm̐ṣi) for the devasūs. So great verily is the impulse of the devas, (that) that alone stretches out for this. That impels this again for kingship. He becomes a divine-impelled king (devasū rājā)."

Honestly, I am unable to understand the appropriateness of this mantra to the nīrājana for deities, unless it is imagined that the Brahman priest who does the pooja, assumes that the deity is interested in Himself being invested with kingship and so recognised, and that the Brahman priest has done a mini rājasūya by way of the pooja rituals - abhiṣekam, alamkāram, vastram, arcana, dhūpam, dīpam, naivedyam, tāmbūlam, etc. - and is at last conferring a sort of royalty to the worshipped deity through his intercession as priest ! Such a deduction seems to be valid in view of another mantra usually recited immediately after the above, viz.,
"sāmrājyam bhojyam svārājyam vairājyam pārameṣṭhyam̐ rājyam mahārājyam ādhipatyam |".

I can only say that the god or deity which is worshipped also seems to be under the mercy of the pujari to obtain kingship!!

Note:

There can be other interpretations of this mantra. My conclusion may be wrong. I request knowledgeable members to provide alternative meanings and how they are derived.

Namaste Sri Sangom,

Thank you for your message no.109 of 29.3.2011. I shall not be posing queries of yajurveda in this thread and let this thread continue its main emphasize on rg veda.

Regards,

narayan

devīḥ ātasthau, dhenavo madhumadvahantīḥ, ṛtasya sadasi kṣemayantam vartanim tvā ekā paricarati gauḥ divakṣasaḥ vṛṣṇo aśvāḥ ||

It will mean—

The uṣas has come, the cows carry sweet milk, (and) you (sun), drawn by strong and heavenly horses, traverse the sky, alone, in order to ensure that the eternal law (ṛtaḥ) works for (everyone's) well-being.
Dear Sri Sangom,

Your 'heretical' interpretation is in agreement with common sense and the general tune of the vedas as I understood them. But I am afraid that there are too many grammatical inconsistencies, perhaps you have made them wantonly to test me as my knowledge of Sanskrit grammar is very little.

Please let me know whether देवीः in accusative case can be the subject - 'The Ushas has come'

Is not दिवक्षसः plural? You have used it as a singular.

त्वा is in accusative case. Can it represent Sun in the nominative case?

त्वा एका परिचरति गौः Does it not mean 'The sky traverses you alone' एका being a feminine word in nominative case ? you have reversed the subject and the object in saying 'You traverse the sky'

Can वृष्णोः in genitive case qualify the noun अश्वाः in nominative to give the meaning strong horses?

Perhaps Vedic Sanskrit grammar could allow these. Please enlighten.
vikrama

Dear Sri Sangom,

Your 'heretical' interpretation is in agreement with common sense and the general tune of the vedas as I understood them. But I am afraid that there are too many grammatical inconsistencies, perhaps you have made them wantonly to test me as my knowledge of Sanskrit grammar is very little.

Please let me know whether देवीः in accusative case can be the subject - 'The Ushas has come'

Is not दिवक्षसः plural? You have used it as a singular.

त्वा is in accusative case. Can it represent Sun in the nominative case?

त्वा एका परिचरति गौः Does it not mean 'The sky traverses you alone' एका being a feminine word in nominative case ? you have reversed the subject and the object in saying 'You traverse the sky'

Can वृष्णोः in genitive case qualify the noun अश्वाः in nominative to give the meaning strong horses?

Perhaps Vedic Sanskrit grammar could allow these. Please enlighten.
vikrama

Shri Vikrama,

Thank you for your really learned comments. I agree that all of them are valid. I was not testing you and won't even think of doing that; I was sincere. My justifications, if these may be so called, are as under:—

1. divakṣasaḥ means heavenly, living in heaven (Monier Williams).

2. It is vṛṣṇaḥ becoming vṛṣṇo and not vṛṣṇoḥ.

3. tvā means 'thee', and that is a flaw. Perhaps that would not be explicable in my scheme of things.

4. I agree that devīḥ is plural and does not fit in with "uṣas" singular. But does not ātasthau make it dual? Still sāyaṇa interprets devīrātasthau as dyotanaśīlā nadīrātasthau, ātiṣṭhati (not ātiṣṭhanti). I don't find any mention in the errata either. So, I thought here again even in sāyaṇa’s time such liberty was taken (allowed). If it is allowed we may even interpret that the verse refers to uṣases coming in succession, or even two uṣases coming one after the other.

I eagerly await your further observations.

Last edited:
The possible alternative, logical interpretation of ṛk 3-7-2 will have to wait till the grammatical problems pointed out by Shri Vikrama are solved.

In the meantime there was a suggestion that I continue serially instead of following a 'pick and choose' of some ṛks from here and there. I have already completed the very first sūkta. So now let us start with the second sūkta of the first maṇḍala.

ऋषिः - मधुच्छन्दाः वैश्वामित्रः । छन्दः - गायत्री । देवता - वायु:

वायवायाहि दर्शतॆ

मॆ सोमा अरङ्‌कृताः
तॆषाम् पाहि श्रुधीहवम् ॥ ऋ. वे. १.०२.०१

ṛṣiḥ - madhucchandāḥ vaiśvāmitraḥ | chandaḥ - gāyatrī | devatā - vāyu:

vāyavāyāhi darśate

me somā araṅ–kṛtāḥ
teṣām pāhi śrudhīhavam || ṛ. ve. 1.02.01

ரிஷி - மதுச்சந்தாஃ வைச்வாமித்ரஃ | சந்தஸ் - காயத்ரீ | தேவதா - வாயுஃ

வாயவாயாஹி தர்சதே

மே ஸோமா அரங்க்ருதாஃ
தேஷாம் பாஹி ச்ருதீஹவம் || ரிக்வேதம் ௧.0௨.0௧

(he) darśata, vāyo, āyāhi - O visible (agreeable, good-looking) vāyo, welcome

ime somāḥ - these somas
araṃ kṛtāḥ - (are) purified, filtered (for you)
teṣāṃ pāhi - imbibe (drink) those (somas)
havaṃ śrudhi - hear (listen) to our appeal (prayer)

Note: This is a very simple ṛk addressed to the deity vāyuḥ.

This is the very first ṛk in which the word "soma" appears in its sense as a drink. It may therefore be appropriate to give some idea about our current knowledge about this 'soma'. (The material given below is excerpted and condensed from a paper titled "Sources For A History Of Plant Sciences In India ; II The ṛg Vedic Soma Plant" by Shri B.G.L. Swamy ~
www.new.dli.ernet.in/rawdataupload/upload/insa/INSA.../20005af4_11.pdf)

The ṛgvedic soma has been an enigma, so to say, for humanity. The ṛgveda itself depicts the word soma to denote the plant, its juice, the process of its preparation, the moon and sometimes the sun, without clearly specifying the context. The brāhmaṇas give a number of substitutes for the ṛgvedic soma, thereby causing some more confusion in identifying the original soma. The medical treatises also have added their own dubious data, adding to the chaos. The vedists and sanskritists were unfortunately not equipped with the basic botanical knowledge. On the other hand the few botanists who tried to solve the problem, did not have first hand acquaintance of vedic or sanskrit languages.

Most of the attempts towards soma identification have been adopting a backward-tracing method, forcing the contemporarily used plant is forced to acquire the morphological epithets of the ṛgvedic past. It is clear that whatever the original soma was, it was practically unavailable even by the time of the brāhmaṇas, which made these texts to suggest substitutes.

The forward-tracing methods have been rare and Wasson (1972) proposes that soma could have been the cryptogamic, fly-agaric. (cryptogamic = Formerly recognized taxonomic group including all flowerless and seedless plants that reproduce by means of spores: ferns, mosses, algae, fungi ; fly-agaric = a red-coloured mushroom).

There have been more than one candidate for somalatā. I give below a short summary of all these.

1. Sarcostemma brevistigma :

Called soom, shomlataa in Bengali; Creeping Milk-Hedge in English: still recognised as soma by Namboodiris of Kerala. "Twining herb rarely erect, succulent stem, base woody. Leaves reduced to minute scales, Cymes umbel-like, terminal or extra-axillary." (
Prakruti Remedies Pvt. Ltd)

Objections to S. brevistigma being the original soma:

a) nausea produced by intake is in accordance with the description in brahmaṇa
texts and so it is a substitute for the original soma - not the real one.
b) fails to produce the effects attributed to soma.
c) It is not transmitted by bird as the legend says.

2. Other asclepiads (milkweed family) எருக்கு:

Different persons have suggested that the original soma belonged to this family.

3. Ephedra:

Ephedra vulgaris is used by Parsis in their Haoma rites. Haoma is the avestan equivalent of soma. The plant is known by the local names hum, huma, Yehma (all sounding like Haoma) in North Baluchistan.

Objections:

a) juice is not reddish as described in RV.
b) does not produce the effects described in RV.

4. Vernonia anthelmintica (kāṭṭu jīrakam):

This name was proposed because it is called "somaraj" in Bengali.

There are 17 more names discussed in the paper cited. But it may only add to the length of this post.

The brāhmaṇas indicate in all, ten substitutes for the original soma. The most selected of these is pūṭikā, pūṭika. There is no clear evidence to identify this now. But this does not help to trace the original ṛgvedic soma. Swamy's paper places Cannabis sativa (bhang or ganjaa) as the most eligible candidate for the status.

. . . to be continued.

The ninth maṇḍala of the ṛgveda is devoted completely to soma. The plant (oṣadhī) was processed and used approximately as under:-

soma is to be purchased from a kautsa or a sudra. Who this kautsa is, has not been made clear. But it may be taken as denoting a brahman who does contemptible deeds like selling soma. (If selling soma is contemptible, why did a brahman do it, is not answered.) A red-brown cow with reddish-brown eyes (colour resembling that of soma) is to be offered to the soma seller; cash or nishkam is also stated. It is brought to the yāgaśālā in a cart, drawn by two rams (he-goats) which are sacrificed as part of the yajña.

The soma is to be pulled out of the earth, alongwith the roots, according to some authorities. But the Namboodiris of Kerala, who consider Sarcostemma brevistigma to be the actual soma, are satisfied with the creeper and seem to be not insisting on rooted creepers. In the yāgaśālā, there is a separate place for keeping the purchased soma. The soma stalks are then cut and washed, pounded by placing them between two specially made stones, one called adri and the other called grāvan, grāvana, ulūkhala, etc. The juice is pressed by means of two planks of wood. Then these stalks with the juice just coming out is placed over a strainer filled with goat's hair, sheep's wool or some other specified filtering material. In order to expedite the milking of soma, the stalks are sprinkled with water and squeezed by the priests who should wear a golden ring on their finger. The juice, mixed with water, is what is used for straining. The filtered soma, called pavamāna, punana, drops into a container called droṇa kalaśa. (In Punjabi reportedly, 'punana' still means straining.) There are two versions regarding whether the soma was used immediately or after being fermented. According to one version (Translation of the Sanhita of The Sama Veda, by Rev. J. Stevenson, D.D.) it used after fermentation, whereas others say that the soma juice has to be used immediately after purification and that. juice once pressed cannot be used for a second oblation. The scoop called sruca and a ladle called camasa (from which the Marathi cammac comes) are used for pouring oblations into fire and drinking by the priests, respectively. The droṇa, sruc and camas are to be prepared by specified kind of wood and this varies from place to place, like mimosa catechu (கருங்காலி) or some other wood.

soma is described as tīvra or pungent. One of the substances like milk, curd, water, barley, ghee and probably honey also were added to make it less unpleasant to taste. Indra and vāyu were usually offered unmixed soma (śukra, śuci) and hence they are described as śucapā and śukrapūtapā - pure drinker.

kātyāyana’s śrauta sūtra reportedly prohibits the Brahman priests from giving soma to a kṣatriya or vaiśya, even if it is available. In ṛgveda 8.14.15, people who do not press soma are described as being destroyed by indra. There is a view that since the soma-pressers do not get to drink the soma, this ṛk exposes the mutual rivalry/jealousy between the two categories, soma-pressers and the soma-drinkers. R.V. 1-110-7 is also cited in support of this.

(The above and some other material has been taken from"The Rgvedic Soma Plant " : Rajesh Kocchar,From the book 'Medicine and Life Sciences in India', published by Centre for Studies in Civilization, 2001, New Delhi.)

soma is an exhilarating drink as per sāmaveda; śukra was intoxicated by it while indra's face is supposed to have turned awry while drinking it. R.V.8.31.5-8 states that couples who press out soma, from the plant, in perfect harmony, will be blessed with children and wealth, besides strength. This shows that soma juice was extracted not only as prescribed by the śrauta sūtras about the yajñas but also in the homes - probably for their private prayers and also consumption. soma is called, more than once in the ṛgveda, as "kavi" or wise person. R.V. 9.95.5 prays to soma to "loosen the intellect" (manīṣām vi sya). soma is ṛṣikartā (R.V.9.96.18). matiṃ janayan kaviḥ the wise one who creates intellect (R.V. 9.107.18). The bard asks indra to make him "one who drinks purified soma, one who has extra-sensory perception", in R.V.3.43.5. From these examples it will be clear that soma of the ṛgveda was an exhilarating, if not psychactive, drink.

soma drives away sleep. (R.V. 8.2.18, 8.92.33, 9.36.2, 9.44.3, 9.106.4) It is quite probable that the rigvedic verses were composed at night in the exhilarated mood of the composers after drinking soma (5.44.14, 9.97.37, 8.48.14). Even a chronic gambler describes the never-sleeping 'die' to be better than the draught of soma from Mujawant. There is a belief that having
"soma-drinkers" in one's ancestors, is something creditable(10.15.8).

Much more can be written about soma. This is just by way of a short introduction only.

वाय उक्थॆभिर्‌ जरन्ते
त्वामच्छा जरितारः
सुत सोमा अहर्‌ विदः ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०२-०२

vāya ukthebhir– jarante
tvāmacchā jaritāraḥ
suta somā ahar– vidaḥ || ṛ. ve. 1-02-02

வாய உக்தேபிர் ஜரந்தே
த்வாமச்சா ஜரிதாரஃ
ஸுத ஸோமா அஹர் விதஃ || ரிக் வே. ௧-0௨-0௨

vāya - vāyo iti = he vāyo !
suta somāḥ - abhiṣutena somenopetā: = having pressed out soma
ahaḥ vidaḥ - kratvabhijñā = adepts at the yajñas
jaritāraḥ - stotāraḥ = (those) who praise
tvāṃ acchā - tvām accha = aimed at you
ukthaiḥ jarante - śastrai: stuvanti = pray with instruments (like ghee, the forepart of the shafts of a chariot, etc.)

he vāyo ! These stotās (praisers - the ṛtviks and the yajamāna) who have soma pressed out, and are adept at (performance of) the yajñas, pray to you with instruments.

(sāyaṇa adds by way of explanation, that the instruments are like the forepart of the shafts of a chariot .)

Another possible interpretation is to take the word "śastrai:" to mean the tools and instruments necessary for the performance of yajñas, omitting the addition of ’प्रउग’ forepart of the shafts of a chariot .

वायॊ तव प्रपृञ्चती
धेना जिगाति दाशुषे
उरूची सोमपीतयॆ ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०२-०३

vāyo tava prapṛñcatī
dhenā jigāti dāśuṣe
urūcī somapītaye || ṛ. ve. 1-02-03

வாயோ தவ ப்ரப்ருஞ்சதீ
தேனா ஜிகாதி தாசுஷே
உரூசீ ஸோமபீதயெ ||

vāyo - he vāyo !
tava prapṛñcatī dhenā somapītaye(yā) = your words praising the qualities of soma (which)
dāśuṣe - dāśvāṃsam - dattavantam yajamānam = yajamāna who offers
jigāti - gacchati = goes, reaches
urūcī = many

he vāyo ! your words praising the qualities of soma reaches (the) yajamāna who offers. (i.e., vāyu said, "he! yajamāna, I imbibe the soma offered by you."). (Now) those words have gone to (reached) many somayājins.

Note: I think the ṛgvedic bard is saying, in a poetical way, that many people are offering soma to vāyu which satisfies that deity.

ऋषिः - मधुच्छन्दाः वैश्वामित्रः । छन्दः - गायत्री । देवता - इन्द्रवायू ।

इन्द्रवायू इमे सुता
उप प्रयोभिरागतम्
इन्द्रवो वामुशन्ति हि ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०२-०४

इन्द्रवायू इति । इमॆ । सुता: । उप । प्रय: ऽभिः । आ । गतं । इन्दव: । वां । उशन्ति । हि ।

ṛṣiḥ - madhucchandāḥ vaiśvāmitraḥ | chandaḥ - gāyatrī | devatā - indravāyū |

indravāyū ime sutā
upa prayobhirāgatam
indravo vāmuśanti hi || ṛ. ve. 1-02-04

ரிஷி - மதுச்சந்தாஃ வைச்வாமித்ரஃ | சந்தஸ் - காயத்ரீ | தேவதா - இந்த்ரவாயூ |

இந்த்ர வாயூ இமே ஸுதா
உப ப்ரயோபிராகதம்
இந்த்ரவோ வாமுசந்தி ஹி || ரிக் வே. ௧-0௨-0௪

(he!) indravāyū (bhavadarthaṃ) ime (somāḥ) sutā - ime somāḥ bhavadartham abhiṣutāḥ = these somas have been pressed out for you

(tasmādyuvāṃ) prayobhiḥ (annairasmabhyam dātavyaiḥ saha) upāgatam = (Therefore,) please come to us with foods (annaiḥ), victuals
hi (yasmād) iṃdavaḥ -somā, vāṃ - yuvām, uśanti - kāmayante = since these somas desire you (two - indra and vāyu).

He, indra and vāyu! these somas have been pressed out for you. (Therefore,) please come to us with foods (annaiḥ), victuals, since these somas desire you (two - indra and vāyu).

वायविन्द्रश्च चॆतथ-
स्सुतानां वाजिनीवसू
तावा यातमुपद्रवत् ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०२-०५

vāyavindraśca cetatha-
ssutānāṃ vājinīvasū
tāvā yātamupadravat || ṛ. ve. 1-02-05

வாயவிந்த்ரஸ்ச சேதஸ-
ஸ்ஸுதானாம் வாஜினீவஸூ
தாவா யாதமுபத்ரவத் || ரிக் வே. ௧-0௨-0௫

vāyavindraśca — he vāyo ! (tvam) indraśca = he vāyo ! indra and (yourself)
vājinī vasū — yajñānnavantau yuvāṃ = who partake of the havis offered in yajña
sutānāṃ cetathaḥ — abhiṣutān somān jānīthaḥ = recognise (understand), pressed out soma
tāvā (tau) dravat upa ā yātam = You two come to us fast, speedily.

he vāyo ! indra and yourself , who partake of the havis offered in yajña, recognise (understand), pressed out soma ; You two come to us fast (speedily).

वायविन्द्रश्च सुन्वत
आयातमुप निष्कृतम्
मक्ष्वित्था धिया नरा ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०२-०६

vāyavindraśca sunvata
āyātamupa niṣkṛtam
makṣvitthā dhiyā narā || ṛ. ve. 1-02-06

வாயவிந்த்ரஸ்ச ஸுன்வத
ஆயாதமுபனிஷ்க்ருதம்
மக்ஷ்வித்தா தியா நரா || ரிக் வே. ௧-0௨-0௬

he vāyo, (tvaṃ) indraḥ ca = he vāyo ! (you) and indra
sunvataḥ — somābhiṣavaṃ kurvataḥ = soma pressor’s (the yajamaana who presses out soma)
niḥ kṛtaṃ upa ā yātaṃ — saṃskṛtaṃ somaṃ upa āgacchataṃ = come near filtered soma
(he) narā, dhiyā — netārau, karmaṇā = O men* !, by action
makṣu — tvarayā saṃskāraḥ sampatsyate = the filtering is being done speedily
itthā — indeed
he vāyo ! (you) and indra, come near soma pressor’s filtered soma ; O men* !, indeed by action the filtering is being done speedily.

*sāyaṇa explains the word "narā" as "he narau, puruṣau, pauruṣeṇa sāmarthyenopetau".

ऋषिः - मधुच्छन्दाः वैश्वामित्रः । छन्दः - गायत्री । देवता - मित्रावरुणौ ।

मित्रं हुवे पूतदक्षम्
वरुणं च रिशादसम्
धियं घृताचीं साधन्ता ॥ ऋ.वे. १-०२-०७

ṛṣiḥ - madhucchandāḥ vaiśvāmitraḥ | chandaḥ - gāyatrī | devatā - mitrāvaruṇau |

mitraṃ huve pūtadakṣam
varuṇaṃ ca riśādasam
dhiyaṃ ghṛtācīṃ sādhantā || ṛ.ve. 1-02-07

ரிஷி - மதுச்சந்தாஃ வைச்வாமித்ரஃ | சந்தஸ் - காயத்ரீ | தேவதா - மித்ராவருணௌ |

மித்ரம் ஹுவே பூததக்ஷம்
வருணம் ச ரிசாதஸம்
தியம் க்ருதாசீம் ஸாதந்தா || ரிக் வே. ௧-0௨-0௭

mitraṃ = mitra
huve — āhvayāmi = I invite
pūta dakṣam — pavitra balaṃ = of pure strength
varuṇaṃ ca = and varuṇa
riśādasam — riśānāṃ - hiṃsakānāṃ, adasaṃ - attāraṃ - nāśakaṃ = devourer of those who harm, injure
dhiyaṃ ghṛtācīṃ sādhantā — sāyaṇa says, " ghṛtaṃ - udakaṃ, aṃcati - bhūmiṃ prāpayati yā, dhīrvarṣaṇakarma, tāṃ ghṛtācīṃ dhiyaṃ, sādhaṃtā - sādhayantau, kurvatau" = [they (two)] perform the duty of reaching the waters to the earth.

Note :— The meanings like "ghṛtaṃ - udakaṃ, aṃcati - bhūmiṃ prāpayati, dhīrvarṣaṇakarma" do not appear to be the straight-forward meanings, but look contrived. sāyaṇa does not state how such unusual meanings have been derived nor the texts on which these are based.

Wilson's translation is :

7. I invoke Mitra," of pure vigour, and Varuna,
the devourer of foes, — the joint accomplishers of the
act bestowing water (on the earth).

b Mitra, in its ordinary sense, is a name of the sun ; varuṇa, of
the regent of the waters : but they are, both, included among the
twelve Adityas ; and, in another place, Mitra is said to be the deity
presiding over day ; varuṇa, over night.

c dhiyaṃ ghṛtācīṃ sādhantā - The two first words, in the
senses here explained, dh'i, an act, and ghritach'i, water-shedding,
are peculiar to the Veda. As identified with the sun, or as
Adityas, Mitra and Varuna are said to cause rain, indirectly, by
producing evaporation. The vapours thus raised, becoming con-
densed in the atmosphere, descend again, in showers.

ऋतेन मित्रावरुणा
वृतावृधावृतस्पृशा
क्रतुं बृहंतं आशाथॆ ॥ ऋ. वॆ. १-०२-०८

ṛtena mitrāvaruṇā
vṛtāvṛdhāvṛtaspṛśā
kratuṃ bṛhaṃtaṃ āśāthe || ṛ. ve. 1-02-08

ருதேன மித்ராவருணா
வ்ருதாவ்ருதாவ்ருதஸ்ப்ருசா
க்ரதும் ப்ருஹந்தம் ஆசாதே || ரிக் வே.௧-0௨-0௮

mitrāvaruṇā — he mitrāvaruṇau yuvāṃ = he ! mitra and varuṇa, you both
kratuṃ — pravartamānaṃ imaṃ somayāgaṃ = somayāga which is under way
āśāthe — ānaśāthe — vyāptavantau, (kena nimittena?) = pervaded (with what?)
ṛtena — avaśyaṃ bhāvitayā satyena phalena — asmabhyaṃ phalaṃ dātuṃ iti arthaḥ = for bestowing us the reward
(kīdṛśau yuvāṃ?) — ṛtāvṛdhau ­— ṛtaṃ iti udaka nāma satyaṃ vā yajñaṃ vā iti yāskaḥ — udagādīnāṃ anyatamasya vardhayitārau = (what sort of "you both"?) who ensure plenty of waters of several sorts
(ata eva) ṛtaspṛśā — udagādīn spṛśantau = (therefore)
kīdṛśaṃ kratuṃ? — bṛhaṃtam — aṃgaiḥ upāṃgaiḥ ca atiprauḍhaṃ

he ! mitra and varuṇa, you both, who ensure plenty of waters of several sorts, and therefore, touch the waters, (have) pervaded (this) somayāga which is under way, for bestowing us the reward.

कवी नो मित्रावरुणा
तुविजाता उरुक्षया
दक्षं दधातॆ अपसम् ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०२-०९

kavī no mitrāvaruṇā
tuvijātā urukṣayā
dakṣaṃ dadhāte apasam || ṛ. ve. 1-02-09

கவீ நோ மித்ராவருணா
துவிஜாதா உருக்ஷயா
தக்ஷம் ததாதே அபஸம் || ரிக். வே. ௧-0௨-0௯

kavī = gifted with insight, sagacious
tuvijātā — tuvijātau = born for helping many
mitrāvaruṇā — mitrāvaruṇau = mitra and varuṇa
urukṣayā — bahu nivāsau = possessing many spacious dwellings
no dakṣaṃ — asmākaṃ balaṃ = our strength
apasam dadhāte — karma ca poṣayataḥ = and sustain sacrifice (yajña)

he ! sagacious mitra and varuṇa, (who are) born for helping many and (who) possess many spacious dwellings, increase our strength and sustain our sacrifice.

— End of Second second sūkta of first maṇḍala —

The first sūkta, as we had seen in the beginning of this thread, consists of 9 ṛks addressed to agni as the devatā. These are recited in the prātaranuvāka of the yajña called agniṣṭoma. prātaranuvāka means 'morning recitation', the hymn with which the prātaḥsavana (morning pressing of soma for juice) begins.

In the last sūkta of 9 ṛks, 3 each were addressed to vāyu, indravāyū and mitrāvaruṇas.The present sūkta consists of 12 ṛks; 3 each are addressed to aśvins, indra, viśvedevās and sarasvatī. The ṛṣi and chandas are the same as for the previous sūkta. These two sūktas (1-2 and 1-3) are used in what is called "pra uga śastra", a part of the morning soma libations. ('prauga' literally means "the forepart of the shafts of a chariot."; how such a name came to be applied to a ritual is strange. May be that just as the horses are harnessed to the crossbar fixed to the 'prauga', the vedists imagined these morning recitations to be the śastra (tool, implement) which will harness the various deities to the yajña. Learned members may further enlighten.)

[FONT=&quot]ऋषिः[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]मधुच्छन्दाः[/FONT][FONT=&quot]वैश्वामित्रः[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]छन्दः[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]गायत्री[/FONT][FONT=&quot]। देवता - अश्विनौ[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]अश्विना यज्वरीरिषॊ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]द्रवत्पाणी शुभस्पती[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]पुरुभुजा च नस्यतम् ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०३-०१[/FONT]

ṛṣiḥ - madhucchandāḥ vaiśvāmitraḥ | chandaḥ - gāyatrī | devatā - aśvinau

aśvinā yajvarīriṣo

dravatpāṇī śubhaspatī
purubhujā ca nasyatam || ṛ. ve. 1-03-01

[FONT=&quot]ரிஷி[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]மதுச்சந்தாஃ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]வைச்வாமித்ரஃ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]சந்தஸ்[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]காயத்ரீ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]தேவதா[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]அச்வினௌ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]|[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]அச்வினா யஜ்வரீரிஷோ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]த்ரவத்பாணீ சுபஸ்பதீ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]புருபுஜா சனஸ்யதம் [/FONT][FONT=&quot]|| ரிக் வே. ௧-0௩-0௧[/FONT]

aśvinā — he aśvinau = he! aśvins (you two*)

yajvarīriṣo — yajvarīḥ iṣaḥ — yāganiṣpādikāni havirlakṣaṇāni annāni = the food in the form of havis which is produced in the yāga
dravatpāṇī = nimble-handed (who sieze the oblations quickly)
śubhaspatī — śobhana karma pālakau= protectors of auspicious acts
puru bhujā —vistīrṇa bhujau = long-armed
canasyatam —icchataṃ, bhuñjāthāṃ = accept, consume

he! aśvins (you two*), who are nimble-handed, long-armed and protectors of auspicious acts, accept the food in the form of havis which is produced in the yāga.

* aśvins are two in number. They are always addressed together. Some scholars hold the view that the aśvins represent some pre-vedic health workers, like today's ambulance squad.

"The Asvins or Ashvins or Aswins are twin deities whose origin is shrouded in myth, mystery and symbolism. They are possessors of horses, harbingers of the goddess of dawn Ushas, and knowers of the secrets of plant life. A number of hymns are addressed to them because of their healing and curative powers. They said to descend to earth thrice a day to help the mankind with their restorative and curative powers. The Asvins are considered to be the brothers of Usha, the goddess of dawn and may actually represent twilight, when darkness and light appear intertwined on the horizon just before dawn as well as before dusk. They are praised in the hymns as wonder workers, physicians of gods, with nimble hands and miraculous healing powers, bestowing beauty and health upon the worshippers. In the epic Mahabharata, they were responsible for the birth of Nakula and Sahadeva, the handsome twins who had rare skills in rearing and taming horses.

The Rigvedic hymns describe them as lords of hundred powers, who constantly strive to do good to others. They can make the blind and lame see and walk, the injured recover quickly from their afflictions, help men produce offspring or the cows yield more milk. They can reduce the heat in the human body, cure the septic sores, store the germ of life in female creatures and perform even surgery. Traveling in a chariot with three spokes, they come down to the earth thrice a day carrying with them heavenly medicines. Symbolically they are considered to the semidarkness before dawn. Because of their benevolence they are invariably invoked during vedic sacrifices. In the Hindu iconography, the asvins are usually depicted as handsome young men with the heads of horses."

(Excerpted from — http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/concepts/aswins.asp : For more details, pl. refer the web-page.)

[FONT=&quot]ऋषिः[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]मधुच्छन्दाः[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]वैश्वामित्रः[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]।[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]छन्दः[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]गायत्री[/FONT][FONT=&quot]। देवता - अश्विनौ[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]अश्विना पुरुदंससा[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]नरा शवीरया धिया[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]धिष्ण्या वनतं गिरः ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०३-०२[/FONT]

aśvinā purudaṃsasā
narā śavīrayā dhiyā
dhiṣṇyā vanataṃ giraḥ || ṛ. ve. 1-03-02

[FONT=&quot]ரிஷி[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]மதுச்சந்தாஃ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]வைச்வாமித்ரஃ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]சந்தஸ்[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]காயத்ரீ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]தேவதா[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]அச்வினௌ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]|[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]அச்வினா புருதம்ஸஸா[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]நரா சவீரயா தியா[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]திஷ்ண்யா வனதம் கிரஃ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]|| ரிக். வே. ௧-0௩-0௨[/FONT]

aśvinā —he aśvinau yuvāṃ = he! aśvins (you two)
purudaṃsasā —bahukarmāṇau = having many duties, achievements
narā —netārau = leaders
śavīrayā —gatiyuktayā = uninterrupted, concentrated
dhiṣṇyā —buddhimantau = wise
giraḥ —asmadīyā: stuti: = our praise
dhiyā —ādarayuktayā budhyā = carefully, eagerly, respectfully
vanataṃ —saṃbhajataṃ, svīkurutaṃ =accept

he! aśvins (you two), leaders having many duties, (achievements) accept our praise with uninterrupted, concentrated, respect in intellect.

Wilson translates this ṛk as follows:

2. Aswins, abounding in mighty acts, guides (of
devotion), endowed with fortitude, listen, with un-
averted minds, to our praises.

Griffith's translation is :

2 Ye Asvins, rich in wondrous deeds, ye heroes worthy
of our praise, Accept our songs with mighty thought.

sāyaṇa also gives the meaning of the word "dhiyā" as "ādarayuktayā budhyā ". On the whole, this ṛk seems to slightly deviate from the
usually recognised "prayer" format and dares to say to or instruct the deities to "listen to our praises with unaverted minds" (Wilson) "accept our songs with mighty thought" (Griffith) and "ādarayuktayā budhyā svīkurutaṃ — accept carefully, eagerly, respectfully" (sāyaṇa). It will be helpful if knowledgeable members shed more light on this aspect.

[FONT=&quot]ऋषिः[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]मधुच्छन्दाः[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]वैश्वामित्रः[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]।[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]छन्दः[/FONT] - [FONT=&quot]गायत्री[/FONT][FONT=&quot]। देवता - अश्विनौ[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]दस्रा युवाकवस्सुता[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]नासत्या वृक्त बर्‌हिषः[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]आ यातं रुद्रवर्‌तनी ॥ ऋ. वे. १-०३-०३[/FONT]

dasrā yuvākavassutā
nāsatyā vṛkta bar–hiṣaḥ
āyātaṃ rudravar–tanī || ṛ. ve. 1-03-03

[FONT=&quot]தஸ்ரா யுவாகவஸ்ஸுதா[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]நாஸத்யா வ்ருக்த பர்ஹிஷஃ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ஆ யாதம் ருத்ரவர்தனீ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]|| [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ரிக் வே[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௧[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-0[/FONT][FONT=&quot]௩[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-0[/FONT][FONT=&quot]௩[/FONT]

dasrā — he! dasrā — śatrūṇāṃ rogāṇāṃcopakṣayitārau = destroyers of enemies and diseases
nāsatyā — asatyarahitau = free of untruth
rudravartanī — śatrurodanakāriṇāṃ śūrabhaṭānāṃ mārge dhāṭīrūpo yayo: tau
= present in the form of attack, assault, in the way of armies who make their enemies cry
sutā — yuṣmad arthaṃ somā abhiṣutāḥ = soma pressed out for both of you
yuvākavaḥ — sāyaṇa states "yuvākava ityabhiṣuta somānāṃ viśeṣaṇaṃ | vasatīvaribhiḥ ekadhanābhiḥ ca adbhirmiśritā ityarthaḥ |" — yuvākava qualifies the pressed out soma : means mixed with vasatīvari[FONT=&quot],[/FONT] ekadhana and water. But vasatīvari itself means water used in the preparation of soma, ekadhana means a kind of jug; hence, the use of "ca adbhiḥ" is not clear to me.

vṛkta bar–hiṣaḥ — According to sāyaṇa "vṛktāni mūlaiḥ varjitāni barhīṃṣi āstaraṇa rūpāṇi yeṣāṃ somānāṃ te vṛktabarhiṣaḥ | yadvā bharatā ityādiṣu aṣṭasu ṛtviṅnāmasu vṛktabarhiṣa iti" ; here two options are given by sāyaṇa — 1. darbhā or kuśā grass with the roots removed and spread in the form of a seat or cushion, 2. (or otherwise) one among the eight ṛtviks starting with bharatā.
It will be observed that even in sāyaṇa's time the correct meaning was not known as is evident from the two widely different, unconnected meanings proffered by him. It is not known whether any mystic interpretation has been given by Shri Aurobindo or others. But to me, this is yet one more instance of the ṛk being just ordinary poetic imagination expressed in incomplete language for the sake of conformity with the metre.

ā yātaṃ — āgacchataṃ — please come

Thus, the best possible meaning of this ṛk may be taken as follows IMHO :—

he ! destroyers of enemies and diseases, (who are) free of untruth (and who are) present in the form of attack, assault, in the way of armies who make their enemies cry, please come and occupy the seat made of darbhā grass with the roots cut-off ; soma mixed with water in the ekadhana jug (has been) pressed out for both of you.

I give below the translations of Wilson and Griffith also.

3. Aswins, destroyers of foes c, exempt from un-
truth, leaders in the van of heroes d come to the
mixed libations sprinkled on the lopped sacred
grass. a

c Dasrā, destroyers, either of foes or of diseases. The medical
character of the Aswins is a Vaidik tradition, as in a text quoted
by Sāyaṇa (aświnau vai devānāṃ bhiṣajāviti śruteḥ), the two
Aświns, verily, are the physicians of the gods. — Veda.

d This is the Scholiast's interpretation of a rather curious com-
pound, Rudravartanī. Rudra, from the root rud, implies weep-
ing ; as say the Taittirīyas, — Inasmuch as he wept, thence came
the property or function of rudra (yad arod'it tad rudrasya rud-
ratwam). This is, also, the Paurāṇik etymology. - Vishṇu Pur.,
p. 58. The Vājasaneyīs make the verb causal, "they cause to weep;"
therefore they are rudras (yad rodayanti tasmād rudrāh). From
these texts Sāyaṇa renders rudra, heroes, they who make their
enemies weep. Vartani means a road or way, — or here, it is said,
the front of the way, the van ; and the compound means, they
who are in the van of warriors.

a Vṛktabarhishah. The sacred kuśagrass (Poa eynosuroides),
after having had the roots cut off, is spread on the vedī
or altar ; and upon it the libation of Soma juice, or oblation of
clarified butter, is poured out. In other places, a tuft of it,
in a similar position, is supposed to form a fitting seat
for the deity or deities invoked to the sacrifice.
According to Mr. Stevenson, it is also strewn over the floor
of the chamber in which the worship is performed.

Griffith translates as under :

3 Nāsatyas, wonder-workers, yours are these libations
with clipt grass :
Come ye whose paths are terrible.

[FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT]Nāsatyas[FONT=&quot],[/FONT] derived by Indian Commentators from na + asatya ' not untrue,'
is a name of common occurrence applied jointly to the two Aśvins. Nāsatya
is said to be specially the name of one of the Asvins, the other being
then called Dasra, ’wonder-worker,’ or perhaps ’destroyer' (of the wicked).

With clipt grass. The sacred Kuśa grass (Poa cynosuroides), after
having the roots cut off, is spread on the vedī or altar; and upon it the libation
of Soma juice, or oblation of clarified butter is poured out. It is also spread over
the sacrificial ground or floor to serve as a seat for the gods and the sacrificers.

It will thus be seen that Wilson and Griffith feel that the soma (mixed with vasatīvari) is sprinkled on the Kuśa grass spread as a seat, whereas it is not clear from any of the references I have, whether the soma is so sprinkled on the seat (Sāyaṇa mentions only a seat, not a tuft of Kuśa grass, which will be similar to the present day "kūrca".)

We have seen the first 3 ṛks of this sūkta all invoking the aśvins. We have also seen that the ṛks so far in the three sūktas are used in the agniṣṭoma sacrifice. I think it will not be out of place to have a bird's eye view of what this agniṣṭoma means; this may be instructive for those readers who have no knowledge or who have not so far tried to study about these due to the pressures of life. I am starting a new thread which gives excerpts, suitably edited to remove the large number of superscripts, footnotes, references, etc., from the book "A History Of Dharmasastra" by Mahamahopadhyaya Dr. P.V. Kane. Those interested may kindly go through that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back