• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us familiarise ourselves with Rigveda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sri Sangom,
Namaskarams! I belong to Yajur Veda, Krishna Yajur Veda sakha. I have a basic doubt. Even to have a superficial knowledge, can one attempt studying and understanding other Veda sakhas? In Brahma Yagna mantra, we chant one mantra from each Veda! I really do not know, I am confused. Please inform. The series on Rig Veda is great!

Dear Sri Sangom,
Namaskarams! I belong to Yajur Veda, Krishna Yajur Veda sakha. I have a basic doubt. Even to have a superficial knowledge, can one attempt studying and understanding other Veda sakhas? In Brahma Yagna mantra, we chant one mantra from each Veda! I really do not know, I am confused. Please inform. The series on Rig Veda is great!

Dear Shri Kahanam,

In the case of Yajurveda, unlike rik, saama and atharva, we have two apparently opposing (not really so, I think, but I will have to read much more to be able to say anything with confidence) versions viz., Krishna yajurveda and Sukla yajurveda. What we generally recite in brahma yajna, viz., "ishE tvA UrjEtvA..." is the very first mantra of the taittiriya (black) yajurveda. Even by tradition a brahmana was encouraged to learn all the vedas, the veda to which he belongs being the first; according to the acknowledged proficiency of a brahmana, he was given the honorific dvivedi, trivedi or chaturvedi. These terms still survive as surnames in the north. But any veda may now be greek and latin to the persons who sport these surnames!

Hence, there is no harm or scriptural objection in learning or merely reading any of the vedas. In fact the riks form the core of most yajuses, and without a rik, nothing is believed to be complete. For example, in the tarpana mantras unless one recites (chants) the respective riks - angiraso na: pitaro navagvaa... etc. - the orthodox people still hold that the sesamum and water will not reach the pitrus.

Dear Shri Kahanam,

In the case of Yajurveda, unlike rik, saama and atharva, we have two apparently opposing (not really so, I think, but I will have to read much more to be able to say anything with confidence) versions viz., Krishna yajurveda and Sukla yajurveda. What we generally recite in brahma yajna, viz., "ishE tvA UrjEtvA..." is the very first mantra of the taittiriya (black) yajurveda. Even by tradition a brahmana was encouraged to learn all the vedas, the veda to which he belongs being the first; according to the acknowledged proficiency of a brahmana, he was given the honorific dvivedi, trivedi or chaturvedi. These terms still survive as surnames in the north. But any veda may now be greek and latin to the persons who sport these surnames!

Hence, there is no harm or scriptural objection in learning or merely reading any of the vedas. In fact the riks form the core of most yajuses, and without a rik, nothing is believed to be complete. For example, in the tarpana mantras unless one recites (chants) the respective riks - angiraso na: pitaro navagvaa... etc. - the orthodox people still hold that the sesamum and water will not reach the pitrus.

I think it was incumbent on the individual to learn the svaveda or the veda into which one is born first and later the other ones, lest there be any disruption or neglect.

Regards,
Swami

I think it was incumbent on the individual to learn the svaveda or the veda into which one is born first and later the other ones, lest there be any disruption or neglect.

Regards,
Swami

Shri Swami,

I have not omitted this point. Pl see the emphasized portion:

"Even by tradition a brahmana was encouraged to learn all the vedas, the veda to which he belongs being the first; ..."

To Sangom sir, by posting RIGveda in this site will not a solution for TBs to understand vedas, every one TBs should sent their kith and kin to vedapadsala atleast as parttime learnig,since vedas should teach by a well learned Master(GURU). The SOUND is very importent while learning and pronouncecation of words also very very impat=rttent. s.r.k.

Shri SALEM,

Though the post is directed to Shri Sangom Sir, I am taking the liberty to answer on behalf of me - the audience to whom he is trying to address.

Shri Sangom SIr is trying to familarize the Vedas among the whole generation of TB who are doing various professions and living in various parts of the world using the technology tools we currently have.

He is not teaching, but familarizing, to a set of people who want to know what this is all about - who want to do this along with the other Samasara related tasks.

I think, towards this goal, Shri Sangom sir is doing a great service.

And , also IMHO, "site will not a solution for TBs to understand vedas" is like talking on behalf of TamBrams - which may not be the right way.

Regards
Revathi

Sorry. An oversight. I realised after posting.

Swami

Shri Swami,

I concede that Shri Kahanam and yourself have a valid point, viz., how can a "yajurvedi" learn rigveda before completing the study of his (yajur)veda? My answer is:

1. In this thread nobody is 'learning'; I have carefully termed it as 'let us familiarise', for this very reason.

2. This does not purport to be - nor is it equal to - learning the rigveda in the traditional way. That is why I am not giving the swara notations.

Hence, this thread is just to acquaint those who would like to read it, with some
points (out of the tens of thousands) in that veda.

Shri Salem,

I do not think it will be possible hereafter, for most tambrams to send their children to a "proper" guru (this adjective was also important in those hoary days; that is how Krishna and Sudaama, a prince and a poor brahmin boy, studied under Saamdeepani muni) for learning veda/s. Is it not then desirable that some familiarity with what the vedas contain, a second best?

Also, kindly find out whether the vedapathasalas teach the various nuances of each hymn/episode or merely teach the students to memorise and recite certain essential and necessary portions (not complete veda, in the case of most students) orally.

Last edited:
Shri SALEM,

Though the post is directed to Shri Sangom Sir, I am taking the liberty to answer on behalf of me - the audience to whom he is trying to address.

Shri Sangom SIr is trying to familarize the Vedas among the whole generation of TB who are doing various professions and living in various parts of the world using the technology tools we currently have.

He is not teaching, but familarizing, to a set of people who want to know what this is all about - who want to do this along with the other Samasara related tasks.

I think, towards this goal, Shri Sangom sir is doing a great service.

And , also IMHO, "site will not a solution for TBs to understand vedas" is like talking on behalf of TamBrams - which may not be the right way.

Regards
Revathi

Sow Revathi,

Thank you. You have written what I have, without noticing your post, but in a better way. Thanks again,

Shri Swami,

I concede that Shri Kahanam and yourself have a valid point, viz., how can a "yajurvedi" learn rigveda before completing the study of his (yajur)veda? My answer is:

1. In this thread nobody is 'learning'; I have carefully termed it as 'let us familiarise', for this very reason.

2. This does not purport to be - nor is it equal to - learning the rigveda in the traditional way. That is why I am not giving the swara notations.

Hence, this thread is just to acquaint those who would like to read it, with some
points (out of the tens of thousands) in that veda.

Shri Salem,

I do not think it will be possible hereafter, for most tambrams to send their children to a "proper" guru (this adjective was also important in those hoary days; that is how Krishna and Sudaama, a prince and a poor brahmin boy, studied under Saamdeepani muni) for learning veda/s. Is it not then desirable that some familiarity with what the vedas contain, a second best?

Also, kindly find out whether the vedapathasalas teach the various nuances of each hymn/episode or merely teach the students to memorise and recite certain essential and necessary portions (not complete veda, in the case of most students) orally.

Dear Sri Sangom,

My objective is not to nitpick, but I just was giving a response the post "Even by tradition a brahmana was encouraged to learn all the vedas, the veda to which he belongs being the first". The nub lay in the word tradition. . I have already apologised for having missed the crucial four words.

From my patchy understanding it appears that in a vedapatasala, (yajur) the highest qualification one can attain in mastering the Ganam. Hence those who are proficient in recitation of Ganam are called Ganapadigal. It usually takes 12 years.

Apart from mastering the recitation, they are suppossed have a atleast a nodding acquaintance of tarka, mimamsa, sastras etc.

There are few left who can teach these vedangas.
Anyway I will try to find out from a Ganapadigal who resides in our area about what all goes about in a veda patasala. Please give me some time(I'm a samavedi and so only rarely have transaction with him).

It not clear to me what you me by "various nuances"

I'm clear about the objective with which you have started this thread and you certainly deserve all the compliments that are coming.

With regards,
Swami

Dear Sri Sangom,

My objective is not to nitpick, but I just was giving a response the post "Even by tradition a brahmana was encouraged to learn all the vedas, the veda to which he belongs being the first". The nub lay in the word tradition. . I have already apologised for having missed the crucial four words.

Dear Shri Swami,

I don't have any quarrel with either yourself or with Shri Kahanam. My only point was to plead so that people do not get an impression that to read what is written in this thread will be an "apacāram" அபசாரம் and omit reading this. Incidentally, even in the daily brahmayajñam all the four vedas, starting with the ṛgveda, are recited (the beginning mantra - vedādīn japitvā - each).

From my patchy understanding it appears that in a vedapatasala, (yajur) the highest qualification one can attain in mastering the Ganam. Hence those who are proficient in recitation of Ganam are called Ganapadigal. It usually takes 12 years.
Apart from mastering the recitation, they are suppossed have a atleast a nodding acquaintance of tarka, mimamsa, sastras etc.

There are few left who can teach these vedangas.
Anyway I will try to find out from a Ganapadigal who resides in our area about what all goes about in a veda patasala. Please give me some time(I'm a samavedi and so only rarely have transaction with him).

It not clear to me what you me by "various nuances"

I'm clear about the objective with which you have started this thread and you certainly deserve all the compliments that are coming.

With regards,
Swami
AFAIK, the outturn of ghanapāṭhikaḷs is far and few between, nowadays. In view of the fact that the students of the vedapāṭhaśālās are also required to be given secular education as per law, the time available for study of veda and related matters is curtailed. So the vedapāṭhaśālās have to be content with turning out vaidīkas who are knowledgeable enough to act as purohits. Kindly verify and let the forum know how the position is in TN.

What I meant by the word "nuances" were the 8 type of vikrutis and also the meanings; I am posting about about vedic interpretation shortly.

Dear Shri Swami,

I don't have any quarrel with either yourself or with Shri Kahanam. My only point was to plead so that people do not get an impression that to read what is written in this thread will be an "apacāram" அபசாரம் and omit reading this. Incidentally, even in the daily brahmayajñam all the four vedas, starting with the ṛgveda, are recited (the beginning mantra - vedādīn japitvā - each).

AFAIK, the outturn of ghanapāṭhikaḷs is far and few between, nowadays. In view of the fact that the students of the vedapāṭhaśālās are also required to be given secular education as per law, the time available for study of veda and related matters is curtailed. So the vedapāṭhaśālās have to be content with turning out vaidīkas who are knowledgeable enough to act as purohits. Kindly verify and let the forum know how the position is in TN.

What I meant by the word "nuances" were the 8 type of vikrutis and also the meanings; I am posting about about vedic interpretation shortly.

A quick reply:

Yes you're right in saying that Ganapadigals graduating are few.

1) I think if only the scholarship for the students is to be sought from the HRD ministry, there is an obligation for imparting some secular education as well.

2)In fact very few are even proper vaidikas. Most students only spend 2-3 years, learn a few prayogams and then they start earning first as apprentice and later be on their own.
You would agree that 2-3 years is barely sufficient to call oneself a purohit.

3) The position in T.N. too is not all that good. If I remember right I have mentioned that under the thread "Broadminded vs Tradition" as a response to one of the members.

Thanks for highlighting "vikrutis".

Rgds.,
Swami

P.S.: A request: Can you please let me know the commands to be followed when I have to quote selective passages of a post(as reply)?

A quick reply:

Yes you're right in saying that Ganapadigals graduating are few.

1) I think if only the scholarship for the students is to be sought from the HRD ministry, there is an obligation for imparting some secular education as well.

2)In fact very few are even proper vaidikas. Most students only spend 2-3 years, learn a few prayogams and then they start earning first as apprentice and later be on their own.
You would agree that 2-3 years is barely sufficient to call oneself a purohit.

3) The position in T.N. too is not all that good. If I remember right I have mentioned that under the thread "Broadminded vs Tradition" as a response to one of the members.

Thanks for highlighting "vikrutis".

Rgds.,
Swami

P.S.: A request: Can you please let me know the commands to be followed when I have to quote selective passages of a post(as reply)?

Dear Shri Swami,

re. your PS:

Break the quote where you want by typing [/QUOTE] and give your comments; begin the next quote with
and end it with the slashed quote. Hope this is clear.

Irrespective of HRD scholarship, it looks secular education up to certain level is mandatory.

Dear Shri Swami,

re. your PS:

Break the quote where you want by typing
and give your comments; begin the next quote with
Thanks for the help./

Irrespective of HRD scholarship, it looks secular education up to certain level is mandatory.

Dear Shri Swami,

re. your PS:

Break the quote where you want by typing
and give your comments; begin the next quote with

Thanks for your help. Will try in my future replies.

Rgds.
Swami

Shri Sangom Sir,

Thanks very much for your reply regarding the other SAkhAs.

I am keenly following the thread , but mostly during weekends.

So you may find me disappearing during weekends.Looking forward for further posts!

Namaskarams
Revathi

Last edited by a moderator:

Before we look at the mantras for the planet candra, it may be useful and necessary to learn something about ‘vedic interpretation’. (In the following I am writing about gveda only even though the plural form is used; in regard to the other vedas also there are difficulties to more or less extent.)

Learned people who specialize in the learning and interpretation of the vedas, opine that it is a task beset with difficulties. Even yāska, the author of nirukta, refers to differing interpretations of words and passages in the vedas. This goes to show that right from such ancient times, eliciting the correct meaning which was intended to be conveyed by the composers of the veda, had become a difficult job. yāska also criticizes people who learn the vedas merely by rote without any understanding of their meaning. Thus, while on the one hand we, today, can take credit for the efforts of the Brahmins for preserving the vedas with even their intonations intact, through the system of oral transmission, for millennia, on the other, we have to accept gross failure because this ‘intact transmission’ was mostly through the creation of ‘memorizing robots’ and hardly any emphasis or effort was put into passing on the vedic interpretation. It is relevant to note, in this connection, that even today we give more importance to “pārāyaa” (reading) than to “adhyayana” (learning), be it veda, bhāgavata, rāmāyaa, or anything else. Mostly the ‘learning’ efforts today are also confined to cultivating the ability to read aloud uninterrupted, from the book.

yāska’s nirukta is the oldest available ‘guide’ to understand the meaning of veda; it lists hundreds of words as those with obscure meaning. Hence even as early as yāska’s time, the continuity in transmission of the correct meaning of the vedas had been lost, it would appear.

In this context it may be relevant to note the probable antiquity (not yet accepted by the scholarly world); following is an extract from my post in another thread (Origin of rigveda):

“In any discussion of the hoary past of the vedic people or avestans, we should also take into account the excavations at Nemrut Dag, Goebekli tepe, Nevali Cori, etc., in Turkey and the find of a statue of a Head with a sikha, in the remains from those excavations. This would show that some culture or civilization very similar to the brahmanic one flourished in Anatolia even much before (c.7500 BCE) the generally assumed date of the vedas of 2000 BCE. Also, it is interesting to note that, as per experts, the Nevali Cori people deliberately covered the area with soil, perhaps to preserve it for posterity! It was not destroyed or abandoned as in IVC.

It looks to me, therefore, that the seeds of the vedic tradition must have begun in very early periods around Anatolia regions and spread to the Mitanni and Hittite kingdoms, as evidenced by the Kikkuli horse-training documents. From there it could have spread eastwards to the present day Iran/Afghanistan where, most probably, one set of people started giving more attention to image or totem worship while the orthodox group stuck to the old fire worship steadfastly. This became a point of conflict and the totem-worshippers spread further east to the Punjab, may be by osmosis. One reason for our ancestors holding the view that the vedas are "anAdi" and "apourushEya" might be the fact that they had some hazy ideas about the dim past but were not able to have any clear picture about those times or areas, IMO. So, just as children's stories start with the phrase, "Once long ago, in a certain country..." they said this was beginningless (we don't know when it started) and not man-made (we don't know who composed these or how these were composed).

This totem worship hypothesis can be found in the book, "The Hymns of Atharvan Zarathustra" by Shri Jatindra Mohan Chatterji, M.A. and published by the Parsi Zoroastrian Association, Calcutta, 1967.”

Further, from ancient times, people have been trying to interpret the vedas according to their point of view, thus creating different branches/systems/schools of vedic interpretation:

1. yājñika – This school gives the ritualistic interpretation,

2. aitihāsika – Gives the traditional or historical implications.

3. nairukta – The etymological aspects are the main focus of this school.

4. parivrājaka – The mystic interpretation of Vedas.

5. vaiyākaraa – Grammatical aspects.

6. naidāna – Juridical aspects.

yāska refers to one kautsa whose opinions, as gleaned from yāska’s work, seems to have been that the Vedas contain no meaning at all and are, therefore, worthless. From this one can see that the doubt about the importance or even relevance of the Vedas is as old as the Vedas themselves, perhaps! It is also quite likely, though there is no evidence to prove it, that such doubts, which must have been held by a limited few in the beginning, came to be expressed by increasing numbers, from which the ājīvikā sect arose - a sect of naked, wandering ascetics, who decried the vedas and rituals – founded by makkhali gosala, who was a rival to both mahāvīra and buddha in their lifetime. (gosala is also mentioned as one of the teachers of Buddha.) The lokāyata of cārvāka might owe its origin to such earlier opinions.

In addition to all the dimensions given above, there are also vedic verses which are like riddles. A good example is the under-noted one:

[FONT=&quot]चत्वारि शृङ्गात्रयो अस्यपादा[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]द्वेशीर्षे सप्तहस्तासो अस्य[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]त्रिधा बद्धो वृषभोरोरवीति[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]महो देवो मर्त्यँ आविवॆश[/FONT][FONT=&quot]--[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ऋग्वेद ४. ५८. ०३[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]சத்வாரி[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ச்ருங்கா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]த்ரயோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]அஸ்ய[/FONT][FONT=&quot]பாதா[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]த்வே[/FONT][FONT=&quot]சீர்ஷே[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஸப்தஹஸ்தாஸோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]அஸ்ய[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]த்ரிதா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]பத்தோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]வ்ருஷபோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ரோரவீதி[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]மஹோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]தேவோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]மர்த்யக்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஆவிவேச[/FONT][FONT=&quot] --[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ரிக்வேதம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௫௮[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. 0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

catvāri śṛṅgātrayo asyapādā
dveśīre saptahastāso asya
tridhā baddho vṛṣabhororavīti
maho devo martyam̐ āviveśa --gveda 4. 58. 03

The ritualistic meaning, following sāyaa’s commentary is as follows:

Agni, the great power pervading yajña, who has the four Vedas as heads, three legs in the form of the three ‘savanas’ (libations in yajñas in the morning, noon and evening), two heads, viz., the havis (food) & prāvargya (a ceremony introductory to the soma sacrifice - at which fresh milk is poured into a heated vessel called mahāvīra or gharma, or into boiling ghee – or the large earthenware pot used in the prāvargya ceremony), the seven chandas beginning with gāyatrī, and who is ‘bound’ by mantras, brāhmaṇas and kalpas, thrice, has entered into the humans.

(This interpretation suffers from a serious logical error, IMO, because the
ṝṣi could not have visualized the division of the entire vedic corpus into four distinct vedas.)

Other schools (of vedic interpretation) have also made their own deductions but it still remains a riddle!

I am also interested in learning our Vedas. What exactly is the procedure to learn the Vedas and what are the Vedas about?

Regards,
Vivek.

I am also interested in learning our Vedas. What exactly is the procedure to learn the Vedas and what are the Vedas about?

Regards,
Vivek.

Shri Vivek,

When we talk about "learning vedas", there are two methods possible. One is the traditional, orthodox, method where one finds a person who is well-versed in the chanting of the veda/s and learns from him the chanting of the vedas and commits it to memory. This is what is the education given in the vedapathasalas. Sometimes the meaning of some important mantras, a little of Sanskrit, etc., are also taught there, but the main objective is to turn out as many people as can repeat the mantras by rote and perform the various religious rites of the brahmin community.

The second course is to read books which give the vedic verses, their translations, etc., as also the large number of books on a wide variety of topics intimately related to the vedas, researches, new interpretations, etc. I have learnt a little of the veda mantras usually taught to brahmin boys (like purusha suktam, rudram, chamakam, suktas, etc.,) in my boyhood but, after retirement, the subject of "what these vedas are about?" interested me and whatever I give here is from my reading during the last few years.

To Sangom and Revathi I put my views becuse the vedhs should teach by a Master, just Familizaing vedhs what is the purpose. Our aim is each one should send their childran to learn vedhs like Dance, sports, Music., so if I am correct why not every TB should take a oth and send at least a child from their side to learn vedhs. s.r.k.

Thank you for explaining Sangom. But

I have heard of the vedapathasalas. But what you asked (viz. "what these vedas are about?") and other questions like 'what is its relevance in advancing our civilization?' is of actual importance. The brahmins have been mocked for giving rituals and rote learning a place of importance. This mundane world will only regard a tradition if it has real-life relevance, which is why we need to find its emprical relevance. I have not studied the Vedas, though I feel interested.

I have no idea what the Vedas are about. But it is probably had some meaning earlier in deriving actual knowledge - like about science, psychology etc. Otherwise, why would "veda" mean knowledge? We should also come to understand any tradition of knowledge/learning (like Vedas) based on how it can help the world actually.

Regards,
Vivek.

, just Familizaing vedhs what is the purpose.
Dear esarkey
Please refer to Sri Sangomji's Post #44 where he has clearly stated:
"When we talk about "learning vedas", there are two methods possible. One is the traditional, orthodox, method where one finds a person who is well-versed in the chanting of the veda/s and learns from him the chanting of the vedas and commits it to memory. This is what is the education given in the vedapathasalas."
This does not mean that one should not familiarize oneself with the meanings of the vEdAs.
It is similar to learning music.A music teacher only teaches how to render a composition. The student practises what is being taught and reproduces it.If a student is interested in knowing the science of music or the meaning of the compositions he/she has to depend on other sources.IMO Sri Sangomji's thread is providing this knowledge with regard to the vEdAs.I think there are many members of this forum who find this thread useful as I do.
Regards

Thank you for explaining Sangom. But

I have heard of the vedapathasalas. But what you asked (viz. "what these vedas are about?") and other questions like 'what is its relevance in advancing our civilization?' is of actual importance. The brahmins have been mocked for giving rituals and rote learning a place of importance. This mundane world will only regard a tradition if it has real-life relevance, which is why we need to find its emprical relevance. I have not studied the Vedas, though I feel interested.

I have no idea what the Vedas are about. But it is probably had some meaning earlier in deriving actual knowledge - like about science, psychology etc. Otherwise, why would "veda" mean knowledge? We should also come to understand any tradition of knowledge/learning (like Vedas) based on how it can help the world actually.

Regards,
Vivek.

Shri Vivek,

Thank you for your very practical and useful views. If we go by the maxim, "This mundane world will only regard a tradition if it has real-life relevance, which is why we need to find its emprical relevance.", it may be said that the vedas have no use to today's world and the mundane world in particular. You may then ask me why I am wasting my time and yours (the readers have the choice to skip all these and be happy!)? As you know, most brahmins (particularly tambrams) have an impression that the vedas are of superhuman origin, they contain all knowledge (at least almost all knowledge) which Man needs to know and that brahmins are the keepers of this precious heritage for the entire humanity.

Since brahmins cannot compel their children to take up the study of vedas in this day and age, I feel if those with an inclination to spend some of their available leisure hours to the secular (as different from the orthodox or traditional system which I referred to in my previous post) study of the vedas, it will help dissemination of the contents of the vedas among a larger audience and thus enlighten the brahmins - and thus others also. This will help the society to shed its superstitious beliefs and make further progress.

Kindly see my post# 42 above. You will observe that we have failed, from the remotest past, to preserve and pass on the real meaning of the vedas from generation to generation. So, any effort by a large number of people to understand the meaning of the vedas will be a desirable step; at least some people may get new insights into their meaning.

However, there seems to be objection from certain members for this thread. Hence I am not able to decide whether this thread is helpful to our members or is not liked, overall. In the latter case, I may have to discontinue my posts please.

In the navagraha sūkta, after āditya comes aṅgāraka or mars, not candra. Hence we may now take up the mantra for aṅgāraka.

The adhidevatā and pratyadhi devatā for aṅgāraka are pṛthvī (the earth) and kṣetrapāla respectively.

kṣetrapāla is a concept of 'protector of the field', the field denoting any area, usually a village. Siva temples have an idol of kṣetrapāla who is depicted as an ugramūrti. There is a belief that "bindumādhava" is the kṣetrapatiḥ of kāśī. (This I remember to have read somewhere, but am not sure.) kṣetrapāla is believed to be an aspect of rudra (bhairava), agni or as an independent deity also.

The first mantra is:

[FONT=&quot]ऋषिः - विरूप आङ्गिरसः ।छन्दः - गायत्री । दॆवता - अग्निः[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]अग्निर्मूर्धा दिवः ककुत्पतिः पृथिव्या अयम् । [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]अपाँ रॆताँसि जिन्वति ॥ --ॠ. वॆ. ८. ४४.१६[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ருஷி[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]விரூப[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஆங்கிரஸ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]சந்தஸ்[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]காயத்ரீ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]தேவதை[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]அக்னி[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]அக்நிர்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]மூர்தா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]திவ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ககுத்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]பதி[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ப்ருதிவ்யா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]அயம்[/FONT] |
[FONT=&quot]அபாம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ரேதாம்ஸி[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஜின்வதி[/FONT] || --[FONT=&quot]ரிக்வேதம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]௮[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௪௪[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௧௬[/FONT]

ṛṣi - virūpa āgirasa |chanda - gāyatrī | devatā - agni

agnirmūrdhā diva kakutpati pthivyā ayam |
apām̐ retām̐si jinvati || --. ve. 8. 44.16

This agni, who is the greatest of the devas, higher than dyuloka (sky) and ruler of both the dyuloka and the earth, satisfies the moving and unmoving elements (bhūtas).

Note
[FONT=&quot] : [/FONT]This is yet another instance of 'some' k being utilised to fulfil the felt need to embellish rituals and prayers with vedic-sounding mantras, without much attention having been given to whether it has any meaning to the purpose for which it is utilised. This mantra (k) has nothing to do with the planet (graha) Mars. agni and agāraka have only the similarity that 'agāra' means charcoal or heated charcoal, besides the probable root ag or ang from which both might have been derived.

Probably, once the texts of the
gveda and yajurveda were finalised and subsequently the priests went on inventing new sacrificial and other rites, and and elaboratingthe existing ones, it became necessary to make do with whatever was available in the already finalised gveda text. So, selections were made if some similarity of words were found, or, sometimes even without regard to such minimum requirements.

[FONT=&quot]ऋषिः - मॆधातिथि काण्व : छन्दः - गायत्री । दॆवता - पृथ्वी[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]स्यॊना पृथिवि भवानृक्षरा निवॆशनी । [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]यछानश्शर्म सप्रथः ॥ --१. २२. १५[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ருஷி - மேதாதிதி காண்வ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]சந்தஸ் - காயத்ரீ[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]தேவதா - ப்ருத்வீ[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ஸ்யோனா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ப்ருதிவி[/FONT][FONT=&quot]பவான்ருக்ஷரா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]நிவேசனீ[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]யச்சானச்சர்ம[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஸப்ரத[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT]|| --[FONT=&quot]௧[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௨௨[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௧௫[/FONT]

ṛṣi - medhātithi kāva : chanda - gāyatrī | devatā - pthvī

syonā pthivi bhavānkarā niveśanī |
yachānaśśarma sapratha || --1. 22. 15

O bhūmīdevī ! be you wide-spreading, be free from thorns, providing us comfort and expansive shelter.
[The hymn is repeated at the ceremony termed mahānāmnī, at the time of touching the earth].

[FONT=&quot]ऋषिः - वामदॆवः (गौतमः) । छन्दः - अनुष्टुप् । दॆवता - क्षॆत्रपतिः[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]क्षॆत्रस्य पतिना वयँ हितेनेव जयामसि ।[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]गामश्वम् पॊषयित्नुवा स नॊ मृडा(ळा)तीदृशॆ ॥ --4. 57. 01 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ருஷி[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]வாமதேவ[/FONT][FONT=&quot] ([/FONT][FONT=&quot]கௌதம[/FONT][FONT=&quot]என்றும்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஒரு[/FONT][FONT=&quot]அபிப்பிராயம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot])) [/FONT]| [FONT=&quot]சந்தஸ்[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]அனுஷ்டுப்[/FONT] | [FONT=&quot]தேவதை[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]க்ஷேத்ரபதி[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]க்ஷேத்ரஸ்ய[/FONT][FONT=&quot]பதிநா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]வயம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஹிதேனேவ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஜயாமஸி[/FONT] |
[FONT=&quot]காம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]அச்வம்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]போஷயித்னுவா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ஸ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]நோ[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ம்ருடா[/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]ளா[/FONT][FONT=&quot])[/FONT][FONT=&quot]தீத்ருசே[/FONT] || --[FONT=&quot]௪[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]௫௭[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. 0[/FONT][FONT=&quot]௧[/FONT]

ṛṣi - vāmadeva (gautama - one view) | chanda - anuṣṭup | devatā - ketrapati

ketrasya patinā vayam̐ hiteneva jayāmasi |
gāmaśvam poayitnuvā sa no mṛḍā(ā) tīdśe || --4. 57. 01

Throug the help of kṣetrapatiḥ as our friend (favourably disposed towards us) we conquer the (agricultural) field for the welfare of all living beings. May he bestow upon us cattle, horses, nourishment and with such gifts may he make us happy.

saarangom sir I not against the posting, but mear reading is not going to help but with correct meaning also required,some words there are so many means and how spell and so. His efforts are good. s.r.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back