• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us bring to life forgotten Tamil words!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Servall

Very pleasant good afternoon to all.

I am a new arrival here, calling myself Servall, you can call me Sam. I live in Canada.

I have gone through several posts over the past few days and found them very interesting.

On my recent trip to India, ventured to my grand pa's village that I used to visit many years ago
and during the stay came across some tamil words that I used to hear back in those years.
It occurred to me I have never heard those words ever since my grand father left that village.
I am not sure if the migration of civilization from rural to urban will eventually erode parts of our heritage
and along with that, even the dialects we spoke. Let me give you some examples:

Mutram : The central living area of a village house with open roof, shallow centre that is basically open right in the middle of the house

Rezi: A narrow stretch of hallway that is usually dark after you enter the main door of the house

Kudhir: A storage area where the household stored harvested crop

Vaikkol: The left over hay after the crop is removed which is normally used as fodder for animals or even storage bed on vehicles (like a mattress!!)

Vaaikkal: A small waterway that runs between fields to irrigate crops. (Note the incredible play of letters to mean different things!!!!!!)

Pudhar: Collection of grown weeds. A perfect spot to hide behind!!

Katthazai: Cactus

I was hoping this thread could collect these wonderful words and we can make a repository of forgotten gems!!

Thanks for your contribution!!

Last edited by a moderator:
paraNai

thiNNai

camera room (i dont know what this is but i have heard it)

kollai

thaazhvaaram

pin mutram, nadu mutram - variations of mutram

laanthar velakku (lantern)

petromax (tamil and english)

aduppu

veragu (wonder if today's city kids know what this is)

kari (charcoal - same as above)

best wishes servall..............

'முற்றம்' என்பது 'open to sky' என்று சொல்லப்படும் இடத்தைக் குறிக்கும். It is not central or chief living area of the house. எடுத்துக்காட்டாக, 'முன் முற்றம்', 'பின் முற்றம்', 'நடு முற்றம்', 'நிலா முற்றம்' (balcony) என்பன.

'ரேழி' என்பது தாழ்வாரம் அல்லது veranda வைக் குறிக்கும்.

'குதிர்' என்றால் 'barn' என்று சொல்லப்படும், தானியக் கிடங்கைக் குறிக்கும்.

'வைக்கோல்' என்பது 'hay'. 'வைக்கோல் போர்' என்பது 'hay stack'.

'புதர்' என்பது 'bush'.

'கற்றாழை' என்பது 'cactus'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back