• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

legalize law to ban saha gothra marriages - scary stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hail khap panchayats - The Indian Taliban! So many innocent couples have lost their lives due to these khaps and still nothing has been done. Hail Indian politcs!

True that ! Hoping that the police or some form of judicial action is taken against the atrocities of the khap!
BAck after a while :)

The best solution would be designate these caste khaps as terrorist organisations. Unfortunately, no one will do that. On the contrary, these politicians are even praising khap panchayats for the "social work" they are doing. Cheap third-rate politics.

welcome back inqui.

i never knew about this till this article. we in the south, i guess, are more civilized?

i agree, these are hindu talibans.

welcome back inqui.

i never knew about this till this article. we in the south, i guess, are more civilized?

i agree, these are hindu talibans.

This phenomenon is generally restricted to Jat community dominated villages of Haryana. Incidentally similar panchayats are in existence in southern districts of TN. They are called 'Katta Panchayathu'.

It is indeed very sordid that Khap panchayats or Katta Panchayats have their vice-like grip on the people especially in village areas, but their need and efficacy have been more due to the way our legal system is functioning. Some of the archaic practices (which were intentionally introduced in British times to keep the locals in check) still practised in Courts and generally in the legal system itself are at the root of the popularity of these kangaroo courts. The reality of it is best summarized in the news article highlighted in this thread itself:

“If criminal incidents take place, a court will take years and years,” he said. “The khap will sit together and very quickly make a ruling.”

It is expediency versus existing legal system. As in many other areas in this country, it is the 'middle men' who always have every thing to gain, the middle men here being unscrupulous legal and para-legal practitioners who specialize in adjournments and absolute stays, taking adequate 'greasy' steps to ensure cases do not come up for hearings in any reasonable time at all! An urgent requirement is a complete revamp of the entire legal machinery which has collected a lot of cobwebs over a couple of centuries!

“If criminal incidents take place, a court will take years and years,” he said. “The khap will sit together and very quickly make a ruling.”
Criminal incidents come under the ambit of criminal law and should be handled only by the established judiciary system. There is no question of a Khap Panchayat. Agreed there is inefficiency. But that is to be addressed by democratic society.

Civil Cases much against the commonly held notions, I dont believe in a universal law. But there is no question of a Panchayat or an Ulemma Court. It is to be handled and only handled by the Judiciary.

The sagotra issue is a family belief and is to be restricted within the family belief system. If parents cannot convince their own kids then who is to be blamed?

By the way a genuine doubt- In Mahabharata , Yayati's descendants as represented by Puru are pandavas. Yayati's descendants as represented by Yadu is Krishna's family. Both descent is patrilineal. Then there should not have been a marriage between Arjuna and Subhadra. Sincere doubt and if any one can explain please go ahead.

thanks kunjuppu sir,
Ah well , guess the petty partisan politics of the north will keep the khap interests alive :(.Only rational thinking and judicial action is the way out here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back