• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Largest Golden Temple in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indian Wonder: Largest Golden Temple in the World

sripuram-top-img.jpgThe most famous Golden Temple is in Amritsar (Punjab, India). But it is not the largest Golden Temple. There is another Indian Wonder, carrying several times more gold on its roof than Amritsar temple. No doubt Amritsar is the holy city for Sikhs. But if you take the amount of gold, then Vellore Sri Puram Golden temple is the largest in India, perhaps in the world!
The gold used in Amritsar Golden Temple is about 100 kilos. The gold that was used in Sri Puram temple was 1500 kilo gold!!!

Sri Puram Temple was valued Rs 600 crores including the vast land, buildings and gold.
When I went o Sripuram Golden temple of Goddess Narayani (Maha Lakshmi) five years ago I was wonder struck. I felt that I have achieved something great in my life by visiting the temple. When I took my family to Bangalore in India, I cancelled the first class Railway reservations and arranged a car to travel from Chennai to Bangalore. My family was not happy for two reasons: 1.Tedious car journey and 2.cramping too many “unimportant” places in our itinerary. One of the “unimportant”, not heard of places is Vellore Sripuram Golden Temple. I told them to shut up till they see the temple.
sripuram-3.gif

As we reached Sri Puram, they could see the big crowd going towards the place and they realised there was something unique there. We stood in the queue like we do in Tirupati Balaji temple even after buying a special ticket. This helped us to cut short the queue. All along the walking route you can buy eatables and other memorabilia. When they saw the golden towers and walls of the temple they were all amazed. One disappointing thing was they didn’t allow cameras or mobile phones inside the temple complex.

The Golden Temple at Sri Puram is a must see place for everyone going to Tamil Nadu. Now I am telling all Londoners visiting Tamil Nadu to include it in their main itinerary.

Some important facts about the temple:

It was built in 2007.
The gold used for the temple- 1500 kilos!
Location: five miles from Vellore. Vellore is 80 miles from Chennai and 135 miles from Bangalore. It is under the foot of a small hill. Don’t miss the famous Jalakandeswarar Shiva temple in Vellore on you way.
Area occupied- 100 acres
Who runs the temple? A saint called Sri Sakthi Amma (amma means madam or mother in Tamil; but he is a man). Swamiji’s books , magazines and booklet about the beautiful temple are available in the temple complex.

What is the secret? The temple itself is constructed in star shape (reminding Sri Chakra of Goddess). Like all South Indian temples there is a sanctum sanctorum (Garba Gruham), Vimanam (tower) and Ardha Mandapam (hall before the sanctum sanctorum).

Sripuram.JPG

What does he teach? Like any Hindu saint Worship God, Serve the Community, Respect the Hindu scriptures etc. No cult or anything like we see in some other movements.

One can see the sculptures of all the gods when one walks along the long and winding route to the shrine.

It is a modern wonder, but definitely, a Wonder of the World.

For more of the same, contact [email protected]

Sorry, I did not know about your post.
You are first. Credits go to you.
But it is worth repeating.
We have to make every Tamil visit the temple and get the blessings of Mahalakshmi.
One other good thing about the place is, no scandal story by our evil journalists so far.

Once we read a scandal story about any Samiyar or Shrine, even if it is false, our faith is
eroded to some extent. I ma one of such weaklings.

Scandal about a shrine does not bother me.
Scandal about a samiyar is always a possibility, to me is is suppressed til it becomes public.
My faith has nothing to do with either.

: Largest Golden Temple in the World

Sorry, I did not know about your post.
You are first. Credits go to you.
But it is worth repeating.
We have to make every Tamil visit the temple and get the blessings of Mahalakshmi.
One other good thing about the place is, no scandal story by our evil journalists so far.
Once we read a scandal story about any Samiyar or Shrine, even if it is false, our faith is
eroded to some extent. I ma one of such weaklings.

Dear Sri Swaminathan,

You need not feel sorry at all. The blog was written two years ago by me. And I can tell each time some one visits this wonderful Temple he will be inspired to share the joy with others. As I have written in my Blog, I had the good fortune of meeting the young man Sri Ganapathy, the head of the team of sculptors of 400 Goldsmiths and Copper-smiths, who had done the magic of constructing this golden abode for Goddess of wealth. I am told this young man takes satwic food of rice and milk products only and never takes any spicy food at all.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Swaminathan,

You need not feel sorry at all. The blog was written two years ago by me. And I can tell each time some one visits this wonderful Temple he will be inspired to share the joy with others. As I have written in my Blog, I had the good fortune of meeting the young man Sri Ganapathy, the head of the team of sculptors of 400 Goldsmiths and Copper-smiths, who had done the magic of constructing this golden abode for Goddess of wealth. I am told this young man takes satwic food of rice and milk products only and never takes any spicy food at all.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I have visited this Temple number of times near Vellore and it is really worth visiting.
I had also an opportunity to have the Darshan of Narayani Amma once. Those days,
we used to pay only Rs.250/ or so to sit in front of the sanctum and have archanas
etc.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back