• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Germany's largest Hindu temple set to open in Berlin

prasad1

What do major enterprises such as Amazon have to do with a new place of worship in Berlin? The largest Hindu temple in Germany is due to open in the capital in the coming months.Vilwanathan Krishnamurthy can be described as a happy person. Almost 20 years ago, the 70-year-old began his voluntary work to build a Hindu temple in Berlin. Now, he stands proudly in Germany's late summer sun as he points out the features of the new building, explains the choices of colors and materials. He hopes that in November the massive, six-day-long temple opening celebration can take place. "We're waiting for the gods," he told DW with a smile.

Almost 20 years - that is a long time for a construction project, even in Berlin. But it also explains a lot about how the people referred to as "guest workers" eventually become Berliners and why the German capital is growing more religiously diverse.

Krishnamurthy describes to DW how he came with his wife to what was then West Berlin almost 50 years ago and found work with electrical company AEG "for three Deutschmarks an hour" (today, that would equate to about E1.50, $1.62). Then he founded an association with the purpose of building a temple. This temple, he said, "is a dream for me. As a Hindu, I can also celebrate everything at home, but I cannot celebrate it alongside other people. It requires a space to celebrate with others and friends and enjoy doing so."

Latest ads

Back