• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Kasi

Status
Not open for further replies.
HARISH CHANDRA GHAT

This ghat is name after King Harish Chandra. This is one of the two cremation ghats, and some times referred as Adi Manikarnika. You remember the climax of the Harischandra story in the cremation ground. There is an electric crematorium here now. However traditional funerals of wood fire continue.

HANUMAN GHAT

The ancient name of this ghats was Rameswaram ghat. Nothing great, but of lot of importance to Tamil Brahmins as the Brahmins who perform the ceremonies for ancestors stay in and around this ghat. Kanchi Madam has a branch here. They have also erected a Kamakshi temple. There is a Veda Patashala founded by a Tamil Brahmin Professor of Banares Hindu University.

KEDAR GHAT

This ghat is near the Hanuman ghat. At the top there is a Shiva (Kedareswara) temple. You enter the temple and you will immediately be back in a Tamil Nadu temple. The reason is very obvious. This temple is attached to the Kumaraswamy madam. In late Sixteenth century Kumaraswamy, a Tamil Saivite founded the madam. Now this is part of The Tirupparanthall (Tiruvaippadi) math. Fairly large temple unlike the other temples.

The ghat here is kept very clean and it is good to take a bath here and have Dharshan of Kedareswar. The Nayanmarrs were very much devoted to Shiva at Kedarnath. One of them wrote a poem called Kedarappan Pathikam. It is displayed prominently in the Shiva temple at Kedarnath. Most of Tamil Nadu are Shaivites. Other than the Veera Shaivas, Shivism is now almost exclusively Tamil.

DASASVAMEDHA GHAT

This is an ancient ghat and the busiest ghat. According to the mythology, Lord Brahma performed the ten-horses sacrifice (dasa-asvamedha) at this site. The historical sources infer that at this site the Hindu dynasty of the second century, the Bhara Siva Nagas had performed ten-horses sacrifice here. It is in the heart of the town with broad roads leading to it.

These are the ghats which would be of interest to the Tamil Brahmin pilgrim. Of course your Sasthirigals will take you on a conducted tour with specific instruction where to bathe and offer Pindams. Like you remember the famous quote "poonalai valam pottukkarathu". At that time you will not have time to appreciate the beauty of the ghats. You should go back later.

But Banares is not only temples and ghats. In my next post I will talk about what Banares means to the Hindu/Indian culture.

hi nachi sir,
namaskarams, very fantastic information. thank you so much. very
beautiful narration of kasi/benares. my pranams to you sir.

regards
tbs

Kasi -- Vedas and Sanskrit

Kasi has always been identified with Vedas and Sanskrit. It was a center of learning. It still continues to be center of Vedic learning. There are a large number of maths from all over India. And many of them have their own Veda Patasala. The Aarti in Viswanath temple reverberates with Vedic Agosham. In fact the terms the Pundits of Benares is true today as it has been for thousands of years. People came to Benares for studying Sanskrit and Vedas.

And the number of Sannyasis here. More than anywhere in the world. You have the headquarters of major Mutts like the Dhandi Math (all the sannyasis of this math carry a dhanda like what the Sankaracharyas carry.) But here it does not represent any official power. They are only Dhandi Sannyasis.

Kasi used to overflow with sadhus and sannyasis for a long time. The number is reduced now. I saw fewer sadhus compared to the number I saw twenty five years back. You need a Guru. Vedic or Tantrik. Take a trip to Kasi and if you search sincerely you will get a guru. That is how it was. Though it is not as good now still your chances of finding a Guru here is higher than any place in India. Kasi was a Beacon of Hindu spirituality.

Since ancient times people have been coming to Varanasi to learn philosophy, Sanskrit, astrology, social science and religious teachings. In Indian tradition, Varanasi is often called "Sarva Vidya Ki Rajdhani" (capital of knowledge).

The Sanskrit college here was established in 1791. After independence this became Sampurnanand Sanskrit University.

Benares Hindu University (1916) was founded by Pundit Madan Mohan Malaviya with the cooperation of Dr Annie Besant.

Talking about Sanskrit, many of the old books in Sanskrit were published in Kasi. The Chowkamba series of Sanskrit books are well known. You can depend on them for correctness. Now we have a number of publishers from all over U.P. Still it is heartening to note that Chowkamba still continue the tradition. There are now three of them probably due to property division. Please visit the Chowkamba Book Stall in Benares. Now they are stocking not only their own books, but also books published in India and abroad about different aspects of Hinduism. A sloka book, a book diving the details of performing the different samskaras, a copy of the Rudra Yamala Tantra, Krishna Yajur Veda. You have them all here. Sannyasis and research scholars mix here in buying books. Keep at least an hour for the Book stall to browse through their collection.

Kasi has always been identified with Vedas and Sanskrit. It was a center of learning. It still continues to be center of Vedic learning. There are a large number of maths from all over India. And many of them have their own Veda Patasala. The Aarti in Viswanath temple reverberates with Vedic Agosham. In fact the terms the Pundits of Benares is true today as it has been for thousands of years. People came to Benares for studying Sanskrit and Vedas.

And the number of Sannyasis here. More than anywhere in the world. You have the headquarters of major Mutts like the Dhandi Math (all the sannyasis of this math carry a dhanda like what the Sankaracharyas carry.) But here it does not represent any official power. They are only Dhandi Sannyasis.

Kasi used to overflow with sadhus and sannyasis for a long time. The number is reduced now. I saw fewer sadhus compared to the number I saw twenty five years back. You need a Guru. Vedic or Tantrik. Take a trip to Kasi and if you search sincerely you will get a guru. That is how it was. Though it is not as good now still your chances of finding a Guru here is higher than any place in India. Kasi was a Beacon of Hindu spirituality.

Since ancient times people have been coming to Varanasi to learn philosophy, Sanskrit, astrology, social science and religious teachings. In Indian tradition, Varanasi is often called "Sarva Vidya Ki Rajdhani" (capital of knowledge).

The Sanskrit college here was established in 1791. After independence this became Sampurnanand Sanskrit University.

Benares Hindu University (1916) was founded by Pundit Madan Mohan Malaviya with the cooperation of Dr Annie Besant.

Talking about Sanskrit, many of the old books in Sanskrit were published in Kasi. The Chowkamba series of Sanskrit books are well known. You can depend on them for correctness. Now we have a number of publishers from all over U.P. Still it is heartening to note that Chowkamba still continue the tradition. There are now three of them probably due to property division. Please visit the Chowkamba Book Stall in Benares. Now they are stocking not only their own books, but also books published in India and abroad about different aspects of Hinduism. A sloka book, a book diving the details of performing the different samskaras, a copy of the Rudra Yamala Tantra, Krishna Yajur Veda. You have them all here. Sannyasis and research scholars mix here in buying books. Keep at least an hour for the Book stall to browse through their collection.
hi nacchi sir,
namaskarams...just add one more information....benarasi paan...
and MOTILAL BENARASI DAS PUBLICATIONS for beautiful english
translations for Sanskrit texts.

regards
tbs

Conclusion -- Music, Silk, Lussi and Pan Benarasiwala

A holy city, Varanasi does not take a backseat when it comes to fine arts and literature. Great Indian writers have lived in this city from Kabir, Ravi Das, Tulsidas who wrote much of his Ramayana here, Kulluka Bhatt who wrote the best known commentary of Manu here in 15th century and Bharatendu Harishchandra. Later writers have been Jayshankar Prasad, Acharya Ram Chandra Shukla, Munshi Premchand, Jagannath Prasad Ratnakar, Devaki Nandan Khatri, and others

Sushruta, the great surgeon and author of Sushruta Samhita, the Sanskrit text of surgery, also lived in Varanasi.

Benares Gharana

Benares has always been famous for Hindustani music. The Benares Gharana has produced many famous musicians like Pt. Omkarnath Thakur,P t. Ravi Shankar, Ustad Bismillah Khan, Girija Devi, Siddheshwari Devi, Dr. Lalmani Misra and his son Dr. Gopal Shankar Misra, Dr. N. Rajam, Dr. Rajbhan Singh, Pt. Anokhelal, Pt. Samta Prasad, Kanthe Maharaj, Pt. M. V. Kalvint, Sitara Devi, Gopi Krishna, Pt. Kishan Maharaj, Rajan and Sajan Mishra, Mahadev Mishra and numerous others.

Bharat Ratna Ustad Bismillah Khan, a devotee of Saraswati and Lord Vishwanath , regularly played at the Vishwanath Temple.

Numerous festivals are celebrated that preserve traditional styles of classical and folk culture. All night, open music concerts like ones organised at Sankat Mochan Temple, Hori, Kajri and Chaiti Mela, Budwa Mangal, are annual features that draw connoisseurs from all over the world.

Other than these festivals concerts are held frequently in places along the ghats. Please enquire.

Did you notice a Tamil Brahmin in the list. Dr. N. Rajam. Padmabhushan Smt. N. Rajam. A famous violinist. She switched over from Carnatic music to Hindustani Music.

http://www.geocities.com/swarna_khuntia/nrajam.htm

The city was connected by a single road from Taxila going through Pataliputra during the Mauryan empire. Taxila where Chanakya is reported to have studied . A center of Hindu learning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxila This road was later renovated and extended by Sher Shah Suri during the 16th century and later came to be known as the famous Grand Trunk Road.

Benares Silk

Banares is famous for Silk sarees. No self respecting Bride in North India would be seen in anything but a Benaresi Silk saree on the Wedding day. There are places all over the city selling these. There are also thousand of brokers who harass you with offers. Test the silk with flame test. The shopwallh will gladly do it for you. And they are expensive.

Benarasi Lassi:

Benares is famous for its Lassi. It is served in earthen pots. It is simply out of this world. Check up Chowk near Gowdolia. The best Lussi shops. This is the place where the Chowkamba bookstall is also located.

Benaresi Pan

Benaresi Pan has been widely known all over India. The betal leaves used in this Pan is different from the one used in South India. The variety used in South India is green. Rest of India uses dark green. Try it. But tell the pan wallah that you do not want Jharda (Tobacco). There are connoisseurs in this Pan business. My Bihari friends hold long conversations with the panwala about how it should be made. According to them it is an art. You remember the Pan Benarasiwala song?

I have written this for two reasons.

1. It feels like going back to Benares. I love the city. Once had an idea of spending 6 months every year there. But I have given it up because the Ghats are too crowded now and not suitable for Meditation on all the days.

2. Tamil Brahmins seem to consider Benares as a city only for Pithru Karyam. Though Pitru Karyam is important, that is not the only thing about Benares. Benares represents Hinduism, its history and culture. It has kept the tradition alive and will keep it alive till the end of time.

HAR HAR MAHADEV !!!

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan,

It is very great to know so many details about Kasi, thru you. I salute you for being so informative. I shall remember whatever you said, when I visit Kasi with my family.

Regards,
pannvalan

Dear Posters,

We'd like information on going to Kasi on a pilgrim tour. Please share with us what you know.

Best Regards,
Chintana
Dear All,

During Deepavali time I visited Rameswaram,Allahabad,Kasi,Gaya and
again back to Rameswaram to perform all pithurkarmas with all my
borthers and their famil.If any interested the I can share the contact details of various facilities for such visit.Please write to me.

regards,

muthu

i have started a new thread on what are the basic things to be done in Kasi.Will knoledgeble members post info and details.Namaskaram

Last year I visited Kasi, Allahabad. Ayodhya , Gaya and Puri, Bhubhaneshwar.
A well planned for Six months arraged and paid for the Prists from here itself. Money spent need not be counted., but myself and my wife enjoyed a lot on the performance of the pithur karma.
In all the Places Sastrigal sent us the Guides to the stations received us like a V.I.P.s did all sort of assistance and gave a warm send off.

If any one needs addresses I am ready to share

Shri Ramacchandran, could you pls give me the address... as I would like to take my parents to a trip of kasi and gaya... you could pm the details if you wish to...

Also, what is the least number of days within which the trip could be completed? Which is the best time to go (I mean, when there are not that much tourists floating around).

Thanks,

Sesh,

After you have done with Gaya and Kashi, this is another trip a lot of people wud now start considering - http://www.thehindu.com/mp/2009/03/31/stories/2009033150340100.htm

Wish i cud travel from ayodhya to lanka along the ramayana route too (god willing someday in future...)...it wud be nice to travel the roads less taken.

Anyways, i thot this part is wonderful from the link above (i loved it):

"I feel that India is at a point of cultural crisis. I see that the English-speaking classes, the secular classes, are very patronising of religion, and there’s this notion that somehow to have the secular state, you can’t embrace Hinduism. Certainly, you shouldn’t persecute any minorities, but why this knee-jerk rejection of what is the richest, continuous, unbroken culture of its kind in the world?

Hinduism is just a deep, deep well of wisdom."

You can actually read the book online here: http://rhwidget.randomhouse.co.uk/f...80091925765&menu=0&mode=1&cf=336699&cb=FFFFFF

So maybe that's a nice travel plan to consider for the future :)

palindrome... lately, I have this urge to take off some time from my material pursuits and explore... kinda backpacking and travelling throughout India... maybe a year or two... ... just for the sheer experience of it... most would think me crazy...:der: but the more I think about it, the more it appeals to me...

Hmm... maybe someday I will... Thanks...

Ariyur Sri.Viswanatha Sarma
B.5/286, Awadharbi, hanuman Ghat, Varanasi 221001
Phone : 05422277719

This Sastrigal will guide you in a nice way
Book a tkt well in advance but this summer is not advisable., but Consult Mr.Visvanathan before booking a tkt.

Go to Kasi directly and when you are near Allahabad contact him thro cell and tell him by which coach you are coming. He will send a man to pick you up., put in lodge near Ganga, and his residence, arrage for your Break fast etc.,

Stay there for 3 days Min., then go to Allahabad or gaya, make your own trip. You can send the money to his bank account by M.T., or if you wish to hand over the cash, they prefer aall in Rs 10 notes.

Because changes are in need there.
Secondly you can buy many things like Kasi Pattu etc., but you should bargain. If you wish I will give a address where I bought 25 sarees and 10 dothis for my relations at cheapest rate.

Best of Luck

Wish you to Visit Rameshwaram first take water and sand from Sea and then go to Kasi.

In Rameswaram there is a man called Kunjabhi cell No 9443685075.,

he will make all arrangements for you. After visiting Rameswaram go to Kasi, Gaya and Allahabad and take Gajes water from Allahabad Triveni sangamam, then again go to rameswaram do the Abhishegam for the Ligam, then Go to Dhanush Kodi. Now that all will be fullfilled and I am sure your parents will be pleased.
Secondly in ganges Tell the Visvanatha Sastrigal that your family alone should sit in the boat and No other should share!
Because if 5 families join it will be crowd.

Need any other information?

Kasi Yatra

Before making resevations

Go to all local Amman Temples, do Archana and get permission from the Village goddess and ganesa then do Yatra Pooja before leaving for Rameshwaram, and Kasi after visiting Kasi return Home stay for a week or 10 days the visit Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi. Then after returning from Rameshwaram do pooja as a thanksgiving and Samaradhana to Brahmins.

You will be taken care of all.

Discuss everything with Visvanatha Ganapathy after 7.00 or 8.00 P.M. and I hope that He will be free to discuss. He will arrage for an Auto for sight seeing too.
A total of 3 days in Kasi, One / two day in Gaya and two days in alahabad all depends on your fathers health. Some times due to over exaration he will be tired. so take care

Gaya and Allahabad

At gaya
Contact M.N.Bacchu Accharya, Karnataka Bhavan Phone No 06312435432 and 2422723
cell 09931840631 and 9934023514

Allahabad

M.Sundaram,
Siva Madam, Dhara Kanj Near Check Post Mr.Subramaniam 05322508886; 2500799

For all other details contact Mr. Visvanatha Ganapathy

Thanks a lot for the information, contacts and guidance....

Is there any specific season when the touring crowds would be sparse? or any preferred time of the year to visit kasi...?

Thanks again...

Regards,

I landed in Kasi behind schedule by 2hrs. Sastri sent a man who recived us at the station and we reached the lodge near Ganges and his House. Then Went to Ganges took a dip. had break fast/ Lunch returned to room where Sastry came for discussion. In the after noon he arraged an auto to go to the Kasi viswanatha Temple, poured the water that we took from Rameswaram, and made our purchases.

Second day we did Srardham, and in the evening sight seeing BHU., Birla Mandhir , kala Bhairavar etc., returned at 7.00 P.M.

Third day At 7.00 A.M sastry came to our room , Kasi Maha sankalpam, Manikarnika Pooja, Snanam, Panchaganga Pindam., where we offered Pinda by floating in a boat.., then did Dambhathi Pooja at Sastry's house and bought Anna Poorani, Copper chombhu etc., from a person Ravi Kumar located near the Lodge.

At 6.00 P.M. we left for Allahabad, by bus, stayed at Siva madam. we hired our Rickshaw there and reached Siva Madam.
Here we offered Veni Dhanam, Hiranya Srartham, ete., and went to Triveni sangamam, and took two 10 lit cans filled that with Ganga water and gave it in a shop near the Siva Madam who poured in Copper sombu and sealed all. By the time we finished our other rituals in the Madam that was filled.Here i triveni sangamam, we put the sand that we took from rameswaram.

Some old people prefer to do this for two days as they can not hurry up.

From here we went to Ayodhya it is 8 hrs journy by Bus.

There is nothing special and it is not advised for old people.

Then we went to gaya and we reached their at 1.00 A.M.,
The sastry had made arrangements to receive us at the station at that odd hour and we reached at 1.30 A.M.

At 7.00 A.M., we performed gaya Srartham, and here is the place where we are to put pinda for our Friends and relatives. (and here is a place where we should quit a fruit, grass, and a vegetables) Here also some old people wish to stay for two days depending on their health.

Then from their we left for Puri and visited Bhubhaneshwar and from Bhubhaneshwar returned Chennai.

In all the place we traveled by II A/C and reserved Lower berths and reserved two months before. (But Now it is three months)

We saved money for this up to Rs50,000 and spent 48,000 and rest we bought something for our neighbors who visited us and gave annapoorani, one Vishnu Padham, Ganga water Sombhu.

That s all

When we left, my wife's' brothers came to statiion for send off and gave us some sweets and Kattu sadham like Puliyodharai, Curd bath, Fruits etc., along with new Saree and dhoti and angavastram.
As this is the procedure from the wife's side that they should present something when they go to yatra. Here I offered Pinda for My FiL and MiL.

It is a memorable one!!

Please write a diary when you start till you complete which will help a lot.

Please call sastry over phone and ask for seasons. but actually it should coincide with the annual Srdha of your Grand father that your fathers father , where your father is to do.

One word I forgot to add.

The Sons and daughters who accompany their parents to Kasi, Gaya and Allahabad are advised to stay away from the ritual site. Let their father do the Karmas and Mantras the Sons, daughters should not hear.

Even a sigle word. The Sastry will explain the purpose of the rituals and explain the kartha why he is doing this and that and what are all the benifits etc., at times due to over joy the Sastry will build up few stories too.

If they hear those mantras and words the younger ones will think of quitting the Family life and enter in sanyasi life. this will spoil his carrer and there will be an empty mind.

Hence I request the elders to keep away their sons from absorbing the rituals that they are performing in Kasi, Gaya and Allahabad.

Wish to add one more

When a couple go along with their parents, for Putra Bhagyam, for child it is entirely different.

The process of Mantras are differ and once they reach home, they are to plant a tree as per the current affair. only with that the Yatra concludes.

Even the elders who fulfills the Kasi trip are advised to plant a tree as per their choice of the prayer.

For Sastriys alone it may cost Rs 25,000 for all the three sites.
Boarding, lodging sight seeing may be another 5,000 (The Less)
Train Fares, etc., Purchase of cloths, Collecting of Water from Triveni Sangam may be another Rs600/=, Purchase of Anna Purani image at kasi is a must.

So for all expenses we can roundly put Rs 40,000.

For Sastriys alone it may cost Rs 25,000 for all the three sites.
Boarding, lodging sight seeing may be another 5,000 (The Less)
Train Fares, etc., Purchase of cloths, Collecting of Water from Triveni Sangam may be another Rs600/=, Purchase of Anna Purani image at kasi is a must.

So for all expenses we can roundly put Rs 40,000.
Why is the purchase of AP image so significant? Any reason behind this?

We are giving this image to the people who visit us after we return from Kasi with full faith our requests were heard, sharing our blessings and joy with others and wish all who visits us, and pray that in all the houses there should not be any scarcity for food and all the persons should have sufficient food.
The receiver should also give due respect and should not throw in a place.

( you should not carry this Gagai sobu to some ones house and give it to them. They should come in person and recive the Gangai Sombu and Annapoorani from your house.)

Secondly, we are to give a Gangai sombu to each person who visits our house after we return from kasi. This is if a person is dead, his house will be polluted (Theettu) and if a person hear some ones death he should carry this Gangai Sombu given to him and give that to the final rites where the body is poured with the Ganges water for purification.

On our return we are to return by train only as we will be having Ganges water in our pack with lots of other purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back