• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is the analytical approach to knowledge the right approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

Analytical thinking and holistic thinking are two types of thinking the former being the feature of lower intelligence and the latter that of higher intelligence. People with predominantly lower intelligence try to dissect something into its components, are more concerned with details and generally see things in isolation. The latter try to see things in the whole not getting bogged sown in details.

The style of the analytical people in understanding a phenomenon is a bottom up approach. They explain the phenomenon in isolation and if some other phenomenon contradicts it, they try to give an unified explanation and so on.

The intuitive approaches are top down. They grasp the total picture and frame the metaphysics first. Everything then comes under that framework. I think this is a more sensible approach as you don't have to keep changing your theories though it is difficult in the first place to grasp the total picture. But even if a few could do that they have provided a very good beginning.

In the case of intuitive approaches since you start at a very high level, the truth may not be evident immediately. So, in order to convince people,the best thing to do would be to derive the the knowledge from the big picture that was grasped. For example one could attempt to explain the concept of force, energy, mass etc and others explained by science by using the higher concepts. That would definitely lend credibility to the scriptures. The present approach to acquiring knowledge in my opinion is really not the right one.

i think any methodology is ok as long as both debating sides agree to a common set of rules of engagement. That is where all problems occur.

Dear Mr.Sravana,

The first method of looking at things as a whole and not in parts is reflected
in the shanti mantra of Br. Upanishad - Poornamidham. Everything is one
indivisible whole , can not be seperated , everything is part of the whole.
Even when you take a part of it, what remains still is the whole, for where can
the part go ?

Analytical thinking is necessary; it can not be dispensed with. It does show
the behaviour of the various things. Logic is important in normal life.

Intuition is quite a different thing altogether and it occurs like a flash of
lightening without any logic. It is very helpful in normal life, but it is absolutely
necessary in paaramaarthika.

Analytical thinking and holistic thinking are two types of thinking the former being the feature of lower intelligence and the latter that of higher intelligence. People with predominantly lower intelligence try to dissect something into its components, are more concerned with details and generally see things in isolation. The latter try to see things in the whole not getting bogged sown in details.

The style of the analytical people in understanding a phenomenon is a bottom up approach. They explain the phenomenon in isolation and if some other phenomenon contradicts it, they try to give an unified explanation and so on.

The intuitive approaches are top down. They grasp the total picture and frame the metaphysics first. Everything then comes under that framework. I think this is a more sensible approach as you don't have to keep changing your theories though it is difficult in the first place to grasp the total picture. But even if a few could do that they have provided a very good beginning.

In the case of intuitive approaches since you start at a very high level, the truth may not be evident immediately. So, in order to convince people,the best thing to do would be to derive the the knowledge from the big picture that was grasped. For example one could attempt to explain the concept of force, energy, mass etc and others explained by science by using the higher concepts. That would definitely lend credibility to the scriptures. The present approach to acquiring knowledge in my opinion is really not the right one.

Very well said, Shri Sravna,

What I feel for the reasons of analytical thinking as the most predominant today than that of intuitive and holistic thinking is, the extreme technological advancements, offering atmost comforts and easy access of almost anything. Mostly people are fascinated with these achievements, enjoying its privileges (obviously) and started having a firm determination that only with the analytical thinking humans can achieve technological advancements and sophistications and anything perceived, ignoring analytical thinking, proof finding, laboratory testing etc, would be nothing but fooling oneself.

Intuitive and holistic thinking are the only and the only healthy mentality booster, that is allowing humans to be true humans.

Such intuitive and holistic thought process and the subsequent outcome of such thoughts constructively, can be possible only by concentrating and practicing spirituality.

As the very simple example -

With just analytical thinking, two persons with contradictory opinions may end up hurting each other some way. The two persons in question, having their own analytical skills, would try hard to justify one's own reasoning and would consider that of other's as false/baseless/oppressive etc. They then end up abusing and making fun of each other. On streets level, one may even end up killing the other. Than law and order (that’s been designed through analytical thoughts) has to interfere to take necessary actions against the offenders...This is the continuous process in this World.

People with intuitive and holistic thinking, having been spiritually inclined and having been instilled with spiritual energies, find their way very easy without any much complications/disturbances/violence etc in day to day personal and social life.

IMO, the right thinking to adopt for a better survival and to be a true human, one should develop intuitive and holistic thoughts as one's predominating thought process and than should consider analytical thinking. Such mental frame would give the perfect balance to live the present world convincingly and comfortably, IMO.

Dear Mr.Sravana,

The first method of looking at things as a whole and not in parts is reflected
in the shanti mantra of Br. Upanishad - Poornamidham. Everything is one
indivisible whole , can not be seperated , everything is part of the whole.
Even when you take a part of it, what remains still is the whole, for where can
the part go ?

Analytical thinking is necessary; it can not be dispensed with. It does show
the behaviour of the various things. Logic is important in normal life.

Intuition is quite a different thing altogether and it occurs like a flash of
lightening without any logic. It is very helpful in normal life, but it is absolutely
necessary in paaramaarthika.

Dear Shri Ranganathan,

Logic is necessary in normal life. But that logic should be derived from th larger intuitive thinking and as Ravi says if that is done, there would not b so many conflicts in the world.

But such intuitive wisdom has to be accepted for their appeal alone instead of asking for proofs as there are few who can grasp deep realities. But certain people are not willing to act on "faith".

I feel an analytical mind with a holistic approach will be a good combination to have a clear understanding of anything in life be its science or philosophy.

I will give a simple example..AUM.. The Holistic will just think of it or rather accept it as the Pranava . The Analytic will break it down into A kara, U kara, M kara but the Analytico-Holistic will want to decipher the significance of the components of AUM as in A kara,U kara and M kara to Realize the Pranava.

I personally feel for realization we need the Analytico-Holistic approach and this is where the Viveka function of the Antahkarana comes in.

After all doesn't the Royal Swan separate milk from water and realizes the Essence?

Last edited:
Just as a blueprint is of immense help as a guidance, intuition does the same job in thinking. Without a blueprint you may start building something but you may have to make a number of alterations. However, with the right intuition your analytical thinking automatically falls into place

I feel an analytical mind with a holistic approach will be a good combination to have a clear understanding of anything in life be its science or philosophy.

I will give a simple example..AUM.. The Holistic will just think of it or rather accept it as the Pranava . The Analytic will break in down into A kara, U kara, M kara but the Analytico-Holistic will want to decipher the components of AUM as in A kara,U kara and M kara to Realize the Pranava.

I personally feel for realization we need the Analytico-Holistic approach and this is where the Viveka function of the Antahkarana comes in.

After all doesn't the Royal Swan separate milk from water and realizes the Essence?

Dear Renuka,

What I believe and the level I am getting into is, when one develops the deep rooted intuitive/hollistic mental intellect, one can find different quarters of analysis and rational thinkings constructively.

Dear Mr. Sravna,

Nature/God does not reveal every thing in full; may be the human mind is unable to capture the gross facts/things as they exist. So the bits and pieces that we are able to understand engage us. After reaching a level when we find that there are still gaps in understanding the gross and that the gross is still elusive we contemplate intensively when we get that rare insight which completes the picture.And Eureka, there is this holistic picture available now. Call it tapas, intuition, God's mercy or what you may. I will refer you to a paper on Cancer research by Sunny Au yang. I am unable to lay my hands on this particular paper in my knowledge base in this computer. I will get back with the information. Please give me some time as i have to search in another data base. It is a paper in which she thoroughly analyses the amount of money and efforts that have been put into the cancer research in US and how that extra one flash is yet awaited to completely understand that disease.

Cheers.

Dear Shri.Raju,

Ok may be truth cannot be garsped in all its totality. but all the same there needs to be some big picture that guides our day to day rationality. As we get closer and closer to the truth diversity in points of view begin to merge more and more and a common point of view begins to emerge.

We need this guidance even when in pursuit of deep knowledge. I would say philosophy especially the eastern philosophy attempts this big picture. Science without this underlying guidance is bound to totter and may even have to substantially revise its understanding to provide convincing explanations of reality.

And yes, that paper on cancer research would be of interest.

Dear Shri.Raju,

Ok may be truth cannot be garsped in all its totality. but all the same there needs to be some big picture that guides our day to day rationality. As we get closer and closer to the truth diversity in points of view begin to merge more and more and a common point of view begins to emerge.

We need this guidance even when in pursuit of deep knowledge. I would say philosophy especially the eastern philosophy attempts this big picture. Science without this underlying guidance is bound to totter and may even have to substantially revise its understanding to provide convincing explanations of reality.

And yes, that paper on cancer research would be of interest.

:thumb:

Just to add..

Mind in a state of Volition is Manas and Mind in the state of Decision is Buddhi.

Even in the Gayatri mantra its Dhiyo yo nah Pracodayat.
Prachodayat meaning to inspire, to propel towards,sharpen etc.. from root word Pracud.

In order to for any "Prachodayat" to take place the buddhi function in us need to come into play and for this a certain amount of analytical thinking is required.

To even decide good from bad we need analysis before we can come to a conclusion.So I guess Analysis is the pre requisite even for Holistic thinking.

Ok now coming to applying this in Self Realization.. the ones who are guided by intuition and faith analyse to amalgamate with the Truth but those who are not guided by intuition and faith analyse to proof/disproof but end up in disintegration in the reverse direction.

In my opinion, intuitive and hollistic thoughts makes things clear as what is good and what is bad in basic terms, as a human being.

Intuitive/hollistic thoughts of a most uneducated lay man can be found much much better than the analytical and rational thinking of educated folks. We can well find the difference between the innocent person and that of shrewed person.

At the same time the need for analytical skills can not be and should not the ruled out. But, the only thing is, analytical skills with the abscence of intuitive/hollistic thinking may not be justful and fair, mostly.

Intuitive/hollistic thinking and analytical thinking should not exist independent of each other, IMO.

Dear Mr. Sravna,

This is the link I promised to give you:http://www.creatingtechnology.org/biomed/cancer.pdf Please read it fully and then give me your views.

Cheers.

Dear Shri.Raju,

The paper basically talks about two broad approaches to a problem namely, holism and reductionism and how both types need to work together to get the best results or understanding of the problem. I think it is the right thinking. However, I would. start a few levels back from the fundamental level which gives the true big picture, and which would serve as the basis for explaining anything under the sun. This would be a totally holistic grasp. Once I understand the basic principles of nature a good part of my job is over. All I need to do after that is to keep deriving from that knowledge and not keep inventing fresh theories now and then.

In this paper, holism is at the level of body, not a truly holistic one. Once you hit a roadblock just as has happened in cancer research and in some other pursuits you need to go back and back for a proper understanding. That is the reason I am of the view science should only begin where philosophy ends to avoid unnecessary detours and dead ends.

Excellent narration Shri Sravna!!!!!

When we say that intuitive/holistic thinking/analysis is the best and the needful form of foundation for analytical thought process, what can be the ways & modes of strengthening such intuitive/holistic thinking?

To what can we associate such intuitive/holistic thought process, to be perceived constructively?

Is there anything other than "Spirituality & Meditation", that can help enhancing intuitive/holistic thoughts, in its purest form?

Excellent narration Shri Sravna!!!!!

When we say that intuitive/holistic thinking/analysis is the best and the needful form of foundation for analytical thought process, what can be the ways & modes of strengthening such intuitive/holistic thinking?

To what can we associate such intuitive/holistic thought process, to be perceived constructively?

Is there anything other than "Spirituality & Meditation", that can help enhancing intuitive/holistic thoughts, in its purest form?

Dear Ravi,

There are two factors, nature and nurture which decide our thought quality. Nothing can be done about nature. As far as nurture is concerned there are according to me two ways in which you can make your thoughts potent (1) By consciously eschewing bad thoughts by controlling the emotions and make that a habit (2) meditation which you already mentioned. I think it would be ideal to start with meditation and bring your mind under some control and then try to practice (1).

It should be fun trying to control the emotions. This is the greatest challenge that a mind can come up against. I am sure anyone should see noticeable improvements with respect to clarity in their thoughts if they even somewhat succeed in this.

Dear Ravi,

There are two factors, nature and nurture which decide our thought quality. Nothing can be done about nature. As far as nurture is concerned there are according to me two ways in which you can make your thoughts potent (1) By consciously eschewing bad thoughts by controlling the emotions and make that a habit (2) meditation which you already mentioned. I think it would be ideal to start with meditation and bring your mind under some control and then try to practice (1).

It should be fun trying to control the emotions. This is the greatest challenge that a mind can come up against. I am sure anyone should see noticeable improvements with respect to clarity in their thoughts if they even somewhat succeed in this.

Thank you very much for your precise reply, Shri Sravna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back