• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is an analytical mind a boon or bane when it comes to devotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi krish,

It is your money and you decide how you will spend it. You dont have to bother about what the family would think or the TB community would think. Go to Mount Alps and do skating but take care not to fall and end up with a crack some where. Go to Pattaya and enjoy to your heart's content until you are satiated. When you get back from all that do think about what was the net gain.

Love is never conditional. Why add "unconditional" to that? That "unconditional", when added, reveals something else. It reveals a certain shirking of responsibility, a certain misplaced over-indulgence, a certain resentment to discipline from the distant past coming from deep down to surface and finally a certain amount of bad luck on the part of the progeny concerned. Poor thing. Deserves a better quality love and more of it.

My two rupees.
By the way I did go up the Mt alps. My boots gaveway . I wore chappals and took 4 pairs of socks and kept replacing them when they got wet. luckily with -4 degrees i did not get frost bite. I did go into ice cave at the top . also enjoyed the veg. fare at the top. thanks to swiss tourism. a heavenly experience thats all nothing else to think about

Dear Renuka,

I have made a small change to your post.No offence meant. Senior citizens who have got back to diaper support please excuse me for reminding them of that begone golden days. LOL.

Ok my question is "How long can we hold on to diapers? don't we have to let go after a while?"
I am not saying that diapers are wrong/bad etc..its just that after a while one does not want to hold on to any anymore and be free from everything..that freedom is totally a different feel altogether.....you start to wonder "hey why did I take so long to feel this freedom" This freedom is not denial of anything..in fact it makes you feel that is nothing is actually outside of you. Do you ever get this feeling?

Dear Sravna,

Let me ask a question here before a Clash of the Titans start!LOL

Ok my question is "How long can we hold on to scriptures? don't we have to let go after a while?"

I am not saying that scriptures are wrong/bad etc..its just that after a while one does not want to hold on to any belief anymore and be free from everything..that freedom is totally a different feel altogether.....you start to wonder "hey why did I take so long to feel this freedom" This freedom is not denial of God or anything..in fact it makes you feel that is nothing is actually outside of you.

Do you ever get this feeling?

Dear Renuka,

Invariably you have to use some knowledge and hold on to many beliefs throughout your life. In that sense you can never be free. Scriptures provide you the knowledge for a peaceful living.

Dear Renuka,

I have made a small change to your post.No offence meant. Senior citizens who have got back to diaper support please excuse me for reminding them of that begone golden days. LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

The freedom is finally in our hands..oops I mean in our pants.

Once can choose to be happily incontinent too!LOL

When many people do not even clean their own toilets at home and get someone else to do it..so I am sure we can get someone to clean our a**!LOL

folks - I don't want to sound negative in all the enjoy life as much as possible stuff !! But I was shocked to hear Michael Schumacher fighting for his life after the skiing accident - yep, been late to follow this news - though I knew there was accident, didn't know it was this serious !!. Despite wearing an helmet, the accident is very very severe. Such a brilliant driver & a world champion, with all the fame & wealth can offer, just 44 yrs, but now fighting for life. I really hope he pulls through. Now, this is where I always go back to our scriptures. I have also mentioned in many posts earlier, life is to enjoy will lead to disasters. Extra-ordinary fame, beauty, enjoying life, happiness all the time are all recipes for disaster. Now read our scriptures - if God gives you something, he will take away something else - see our Guru's codified in simple 1 liner truths & we need to analyze it more deeply before saying it does not make sense !!!! Lets all live moderately & live very long & healthy !! Here's hoping Schumacher fights through this as a Champion as always !! Cheers,

Dear Renuka,

Invariably you have to use some knowledge and hold on to many beliefs throughout your life. In that sense you can never be free. Scriptures provide you the knowledge for a peaceful living.

So Sravna..you mean to say we are forever bound??

Then what was Adi Shankara singing all this while??

Sada Me Samatvam Na Muktir Na Bandhah
Chidananda Rupa Shivoham Shivoham

Now read our scriptures - if God gives you something, he will take away something else -

Dear JK,

And you keep saying you believe in God?

What the Freak yaar?

Your words are distasteful and you find fault with Atheists!LOL

God DOES NOT take or GIVE anything...dont blame God when things go wrong and dont praise God too when things go right..that is the best respect you can give God the silent witness in all of us.

Last edited:
So Sravna..you mean to say we are forever bound??

Then what was Adi Shankara singing all this while??

Sada Me Samatvam Na Muktir Na Bandhah
Chidananda Rupa Shivoham Shivoham

Dear Renuka,

That is what you said , that knowledge curtails our freedom. So I asked you how can you be ever free because you cannot be without using knowledge and having beliefs?

Dear Renuka,

That is what you said , that knowledge curtails our freedom. So I asked you how can you be ever free because you cannot be without using knowledge and having beliefs?

Sravna,

You contradict yourself here..so that means you feel our mind will last forever?

Didnt Adi S sing:

Mano budhyahankara chithaa ninaham,

Neither am I mind, nor intelligence ,
Nor ego, nor thought,

Sravna,

You contradict yourself here..so that means you feel our mind will last forever?

Didnt Adi S sing:

Mano budhyahankara chithaa ninaham,

Neither am I mind, nor intelligence ,
Nor ego, nor thought,

Dear Renuka,

Mind won't last forever but will become one with soul eventually and acquiring right knowledge is what paves the way for that

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

Mind won't last forever but will become one with soul eventually.

What??

You see when we peel an onion..we can take out layer by layer till we reach the centre...so as we shed all layers all we get is the Soul..Atma Eva Avashisyate(Only the Atma verily remains)..the Mind is just a layer and nothing more.

What??

You see when we peel an onion..we can take out layer by layer till we reach the centre...so as we shed all layers all we get is the Soul..Atma Eva Avashisyate(Only the Atma verily remains)..the Mind is just a layer and nothing more.

Dear Renuka,

You are taking the analogy very literally. Since everything is finally one reality, we eventually see that through the mind, the mind is nothing but that reality. That is unless you are the ultimate reality, you cannot see the truth. Think of the layers peeled off as not falling down but merging with the center.

DearJK,

And you keep saying you believe in God?

What the Freak yaar?

Your words are distasteful and you find fault with Atheists!LOL

God DOES NOT take or GIVE anything...dont blame God when things go wrong anddont praise God too when things go right..that is the best respect you can giveGod the silent witness in all of us.

Hi Renuka,

I am not surewhy you are agitated & calling freak, my words as distasteful etc.. ??

My belief inGod is absolute and pray to him as always. I am just quoting one the statements(which I remember – not sure if reproduced correctly), from our sanskrittexts/puranas. In times of disasters,some of us tend to look at scriptures for guidance.

If you think,my quoting the scriptures, & making an observation on recent tragic eventsis distasteful, I have to disagree with you !!

If youexpected that people should not suffer at all or should not die at all or noneof us should talk about bad things & only good things, let us know !!

Cheers,

Last edited:
In-fact the other saying from our scriptures is if one door closes, some other window will open !!. so this works both ways !!

Hi Renuka - Also I am not against Atheist - not sure how you got this opinion. But if someone including Atheists abuses my religion, I think I have a right to respond/fight back !! Trust this clarifies any perception issues here !!!

folks - I don't want to sound negative in all the enjoy life as much as possible stuff !! But I was shocked to hear Michael Schumacher fighting for his life after the skiing accident - yep, been late to follow this news - though I knew there was accident, didn't know it was this serious !!. Despite wearing an helmet, the accident is very very severe. Such a brilliant driver & a world champion, with all the fame & wealth can offer, just 44 yrs, but now fighting for life. I really hope he pulls through. Now, this is where I always go back to our scriptures. I have also mentioned in many posts earlier, life is to enjoy will lead to disasters. Extra-ordinary fame, beauty, enjoying life, happiness all the time are all recipes for disaster. Now read our scriptures - if God gives you something, he will take away something else - see our Guru's codified in simple 1 liner truths & we need to analyze it more deeply before saying it does not make sense !!!! Lets all live moderately & live very long & healthy !! Here's hoping Schumacher fights through this as a Champion as always !! Cheers,

Poor Schumacher. skiing requires a different set of skills. While you have well designed tracks (cambers are designed with just + or - one degree tolerance) for formula races, there are no such designed tracks for skiing. You may even have negative cambers. May Schumacher get back soon from the medically induced coma in which he is now in.

. I am just quoting one the statements(which I remember – not sure if reproduced correctly), from our sanskrittexts/puranas.
Cheers,

Dear JK,

Can you quote a Bona fide Religious text that says "When God gives you something He also takes away something"

As far as I know no proper religious text says this..the God gives and takes something is all talk that happens when a bunch of people get together to drink some filter kApi(Coffee)... the Caffeine Puranam!LOL

So you see as a Theist..the least you could do is not drag in God and praise Him or blame Him when you can not figure out why an incident happened.

That way Swami Vivekananda and Adi Shankara also died very young..are you going to say "when God gives something..He also takes something?"

No isnt it? Life and Death is NOT in our hands.I am not saying that only good and no bad can happen but dont drag God into it and give God a bad name as if He is micromanaging our lives.

Zindagi ek safar hai suhana
Yahan kal kya ho kisne jaana

Last edited:
Hi Renuka - we need to agree to disagree. There is no need to call names like caffeine puranam !. I remember this from my extensive study on scriptures, I could be wrong here - members feel free to correct me on this. I just reacted based on the tragic Schumacher story flashing on the news. No need to drag this issue any further. Cheers,

Hi Renuka - we need to agree to disagree. There is no need to call names like caffeine puranam !. I remember this from my extensive study on scriptures, I could be wrong here - members feel free to correct me on this. I just reacted based on the tragic Schumacher story flashing on the news. No need to drag this issue any further. Cheers,

Dear JK,

Mostly a lot of people say that God Gives and Takes etc but when asked for evidence from scriptures there is always no evidence.
Just like everyone says..this and that is in the Vedas but they do not cite examples.

I am not saying that I am wide read but as far as I recall no bona fide religious text says anything like that.

The best is Bhagavad Geeta..is there any verse there where Lord Krishna says "God Gives Something and Takes Something?"

BTW what is wrong with the word Caffeine Puranam?

Dont you feel you are giving God a bad name for dragging Him in for stuff that you can not explain..eg life and death??

Hi Renuka,

I don’t recollect the purana where this is stated. But plread the foll from the Book of Job.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091004123739AAwdOpB

“the phrase"the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of theLord." comes from the book of Job. “

By quoting this, no one is blaming God. Unfortunatelymost People expect to only live happily ever-after & not suffer at all,when disaster happen, they blame one & all for this.

All I wanted to tell the other members in this forum is –there is eternal truth in the live in moderation preached by our puranas,elders etc…

Cheers,

Hi Renuka,

I don’t recollect the purana where this is stated. But plread the foll from the Book of Job.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091004123739AAwdOpB

“the phrase"the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, blessed be the name of theLord." comes from the book of Job. “

By quoting this, no one is blaming God. Unfortunatelymost People expect to only live happily ever-after & not suffer at all,when disaster happen, they blame one & all for this.

All I wanted to tell the other members in this forum is –there is eternal truth in the live in moderation preached by our puranas,elders etc…

Cheers,

Exactly!

No Hindu Religious text says that.

We do not have the concept of God giving and taking...that is totally not Hindu!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

I think Jaykay is right in principle. God only can give and God only can take. In the final analysis he gives what we should possess and takes what we need to get rid of.

Hi Renuka - you cannot keep changing the goal post. Initially you said, most theist people say this but do not support with any evidence. when I showed you the Book of Job, you now say it is not mentioned in Hinduism. I am sure it is in our scriptures - need to spend some time searching for it. Cheers,

Hi Renuka - you cannot keep changing the goal post. Initially you said, most theist people say this but do not support with any evidence. when I showed you the Book of Job, you now say it is not mentioned in Hinduism. I am sure it is in our scriptures - need to spend some time searching for it. Cheers,

Dear JK,

You cant keep jumping from religion to religion to support your claim..you have to decide what religion you want to be if you want to call yourself a Theist and the next moment you might not be happy about IR or IC marriage!LOL

One moment you are saying Purana and one moment you are saying some Non Hindu text.

Decide yaar what you want to be!LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back