• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India summons US envoy Nancy Powell over arrest of diplomat in New York PTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all have troubles, HUGE insurmountable issues.. I prefer remaining a loner and not bore others with my bundles of misery (notwithstanding, misery needs company).

I did suggest the get together must have ample supplies of certain fermented beverages, but the members would prefer milk instead. sad.

You were in the wrong group, but now you found the right group.

post#20:

Originally Posted by sarang What a life? Some hate the kula and families (parents included) they are born in, the country of birth, the country that gives them sustenance, and assume rationalistic professorial roles to justify hatred and venom. More to be pitied than censured!

Thanks my dear brother sarang, I love you too, very much ....

ஐயோ தாங்கமுடியல்லியே. சிண்டப்பிச்சுக்கனம்போல வருதே. யாராச்சும் இந்த புதிருக்கு விடை சொல்லுங்கப்பா.

Ha, cultivating a real life chinna veedu is one sorrow I managed to avoid, though she who should be obeyed taunts me that nobody but she would want me, there is some real pity LOL.

Now, my sufferings and misfortunes, where do I start, I was a very religious man at one time, though I didn't demand anything from other members of my family, the superstitious restrictions I placed upon myself surely caused sorrow and misfortunes to them, for which I feel sorrow now, how stupid of me, how come I didn't see the light soon enough. Pity me for that.

I wasted a lot of money, a boat load of money supporting religious activities, what a waste, money that could have been spent on relieving the suffering of truly oppressed and deserving people, and I feel sorrow for that now, how stupid of me, I should have known better. Pity me for that.

Didn't stand up to some people in defense of some others, I foolishly respected silly old ancient tradition aka sanatana dharmam, and I feel sorrow for that now, how stupid of me, it was unconscionable. Pity me for that.

Borrowing the words of திருமங்கை ஆழ்வார் and twisting the meaning for my context, "கள்வனேனானேன் படிறு செய்திருப்பேன், கண்டவா திரிதந்தேன்". So, there is lot to pity me, thanks for asking dear K. But alas, the kind of pity my dear brother sarang dishes out, is intended to cause more sorrow, not alleviate any.

But then, it doesn't bother me any more. I have crossed the ocean of religious and theistic ignorance. I am now free of all sorrow, and the misfortune of religious superstition is behind me. Continuing on திருமங்கை words, "தெள்ளியேன் ஆனேன்". I am a happy man now. Very happy. I am truly able to put to practice the maxim யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர். And, that brings me to the last point, which is, I only have pity for those who are swayed by the demagoguery of fundamentalist religious nationalism like that of BJP, RSS, Hindu Munnani, etc.

So, dear K, there you have it, pity me if you must for the times I wasted in the past, and your pity will be well placed and much appreciated, but also, join me in the present, for joyful celebration of the present, free of superstitions, with lots of friends engaged in what I would like to call enlightened hedonism ....

Nara,

Your train is still running isn't it? You haven't yet reached your last stop or have you? Wait till then to add any finality to your impressions. I may be younger than you. I have travelled this route and it(what you have narrated) is very familiar to me. Wish you all the best.

I feel diplomatic privilege should have been accorded to her. Us could have asked India to withdraw her and she could have been tried in India. I presume that would be the normal proceeding for developed country's representative.
If she committed a crime and shamed India, she should be punished in India.
Sir,
A diplomatic approach and well said.

Agreed fully. What a shame ! The Dy. Consul General of World's largest Democracy , that too a lady, has been hand cuffed in Public like a third rate criminal. This shows what respect India has got in the US. It is unfortunate our response is highly inadequate and meek. We have just conveyed to the US Ambassador India's "shock" over "absolutely unacceptable" treatment meted out to the senior Indian diplomat.
How true the Korean Proverb " If an Elephant falls, even a frog will give a kick". We have the weakest Government
which will absorb any insult by anybody.
Sir,
I fully endorse your views and your korean proverb quotation is an addition to my upper chamber.

Nara,

Your train is still running isn't it? You haven't yet reached your last stop or have you? Wait till then to add any finality to your impressions. I may be younger than you. I have travelled this route and it(what you have narrated) is very familiar to me. Wish you all the best.

Sir,
I recently met my friends mother in a nursing home, she was going on about her youth. She was murmuring poetry and the beautiful places she visited during that time. On the way back I was telling my friend that her mother must have lived an enchanted life. Then he told me that her mother lives in this fantasy world since she had a stroke, and that is why she had to put her where she can get 24 hour care.

Some people don't need a stroke.

"She is More to be Pitied than Censured"

[h=2]"She is more to be pitied than censured[/h]She is more to be helped than despised
She is only a lassie who ventured
On life's stormy path ill advised
Do not scorn her with words fierce and bitter
Do not laugh at her shame and downfall
For a moment stop and consider
That a man was the cause of it all."

1894 song by William B. Gray

...Some people don't need a stroke.
prasad1, you are doing it again, using somebody else's post to make a nasty comment, if you have the guts comment on my post, and let us have at it. Otherwise, go your way, but stop with this foolish idiocy .... already ....

Am I afraid of a "paper" (Cyber) Tiger? You must be kidding. If you live in a dreams, others may tell you to wake up, but you are already awake, no one else can help you.
Please use some decency, you do not have to call peoples action as idiocy, because you are afraid that I will report you if you called me an IDIOT (and you are right).

<removed. Please mind the language.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir,
I recently met my friends mother in a nursing home, she was going on about her youth. She was murmuring poetry and the beautiful places she visited during that time. On the way back I was telling my friend that her mother must have lived an enchanted life. Then he told me that her mother lives in this fantasy world since she had a stroke, and that is why she had to put her where she can get 24 hour care.

Some people don't need a stroke.

Prasad ji .. you are not going to be getting any brotherly love :)

you are not going to be getting any brotherly love :)
My brotherly love is for everyone, including prasad1, even though he acts like an idiot with me from time to time. Why prasad1, you too tks, I consider you my brother as well, and I love you just as much as I love my dear brother sarang. My வெண்டைக்காய் (changed from beef as suggested by K) is only with what you guys are saying ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Your brotherhood is not like Rama & Laksmana, but like gangs or mafia. That is misuse of a beautiful relationships.

You might be gay with joy, or gay in sexual preference.

My brotherly love is for everyone, including prasad1, even though he acts like an idiot with me from time to time. Why prasad1, you too tks, I consider you my brother as well, and I love you just as much as I love my dear brother sarang. My beef is only with what you guys are saying ....

dear nara,

.... appreciate and agree with your concept of brotherly love. i am the same too.

except bro sarang and bro p1 are staunch veggies. may instead of 'beef', you might want to say 'vendakkai'?

so your last statement would read like this, My vendakkai is only with what you guys are saying ....

if the public thinks this is written in jest, the public is absolutely correct!!

Envoy gets $4,120 per month, US says pay nanny $4,500
Diplomatic immunity
As part of the international law adopted in the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, diplomatic passport holders cannot be subjected to the jurisdiction of local courts and other authorities for both their official and, to a large extent, personal activities. Diplomats are given safe passage and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution under the host country’s laws. They cannot be arrested or handcuffed. But they can be extradited.

Envoy gets $4,120 per month, US says pay nanny $4,500 - India - DNA

Envoy gets $4,120 per month, US says pay nanny $4,500
The heavy-handedness of NY police and the big US diplomatic middle finger to India aside, why does this 34 year old worker in the Indian diplomatic mission need a full-time maid, that too on a $4,120 monthly salary? Many, if not most Indians make twice or even three to four times that amount and don't have full-time maids at home.

Besides, She lied about how much she way paying her maid in her filing, to the State Department, and that does not speak very highly of Indian diplomats, does it?

Still, the proper action is to expel her, not arrest her, but then, what is India going to do, make some noise and then just quietly lie down at the feet of the master. Even tiny countries like Ecuador and Bolivia show more spunk than India. Don't think Modi and BJP will be any better, they are even more of a corporatist party than Congress, and they will never do anything to jeopardize business interests ....

In a snub, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and national security adviser Shivshankar Menon on Monday cancelled their meeting with a US Congressional delegation to protest the arrest and handcuffing of an Indian diplomat in New York last week.

"The speaker has declined to meet the US delegation, comprising Republican and Democrat members, as a sign of displeasure over the treatment meted out to India's deputy consul general in New York," a source told IANS.

The NSA too cancelled his meeting with the US delegation over the arrest and handcuffing of Devyani Khobragade who was charged last week with visa fraud and making false statements.

Khobragade, one of India's senior diplomats in New York, was accused by Manhattan's Indian-American US attorney Preet Bharara of visa fraud and exploiting her babysitter and housekeeper. She was handcuffed in public by law enforcement authorities in New York on Thursday while she was dropping her daughter to school.

India has termed the treatment meted out to the envoy as "absolutely unacceptable".
In a snub, Meira Kumar declines to meet US delegation - The Times of India

India has summoned US Ambassador to India, Nancy Powell to protest and convey the displeasure against the arrest of its high-ranking diplomat in New York for an alleged visa fraud, said Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid on Sunday. Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who is the Deputy Consul General at the Indian Consulate in New York, has been accused of lying on the visa application for an Indian national who worked for her for less than four dollars an hour, violating U.S. norms. Khurshid hopes that the United States would rectify its legal process that led to the arrest.

India summons US envoy over Devyani Khobragade's arrest | IBTimes - India | Video News

The arrest and handcuffing of the Deputy Consul General of India, Devyani Khobragade, is yet another example of the indecent approach of the United States authorities towards Indian leaders and bureaucrats. This incident is reminiscent of Dr. Abdul Kalam’s frisking in 2011, again by the U.S. authorities. The sovereignty and respect of our nation cannot be belittled. The Indian government is not running at the mercy of any foreign country. This issue must be seriously dealt with by the Ministry of External Affairs.

If USA can not apologize quickly and set this right India must take retaliatory action, and must arrest and deport a US diplomat, on some pretext.

indians have a tendency to abuse their servants. which they have carried it to the new world. i say this with shame and without regret. one of those rare generalizations, that happens to be true. by any western standard, even the most 'benevolent' of indian master, is indeed considered a slave driver.

we have an MP here ruby dhalla who treated her filipino nanny like they treat servants in india ie no free time, eat after everyone eats, watch TV sittin on the ground, and everything else we do the servants in india. the servant went public. dhalla lost the elections the next time :)

this devyani should be jailed with utmost maximum sentence. there is no pride of india involved. only shame of india. this is the calibre and character of people we send abroad as our representatives. not only are the arrogantly unaware of the workers' rights and dignity in their host countries, but they export our 'values' there...ie bring indentured labourers from india under the guise of diplomatic immunity.

she is no diplomat. devyani is a candidate for criminal prosecution for persecuting another human. and should be dealt accordingly with the land of her domicile. she should not be let off free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back