• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

how usa lost out on iphone work (to who else? china ofcourse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

apple's huge presence in china

this is in today's new york times. the best of journalism, i believe, should involve a lot of self searching - finding out 'why' something has happened in a dispassionate way, instead of getting defensive supposed 'deragatory' presentation.

this article, indicates, that 6 weeks prior to iphone launch, steve jobs, switched the basic design of the screen, from plastic to non scratchable glass. how, in the short period, only one chinese contractor, offered to meet the deadlines, and did so successfully.

the firm was foxconn, which ofcourse someone pointed out, where 300 employees committed suicide or on the verge of it. or something like that. that should frighten the world even more, that people are ready to die, to deliver products for apple and steve jobs.

i have always felt, that usa, for short term gains, literally gave away accumulated traditons of knowledge base and innovation, for next to nothing, initially to japan and now to china. this is what unbridled capitalism does. short term profit. immediate gratification. no long term vision. add to it, we have strong forces in usa, who dont government involvement of any kind in industry at all. and dont want to pay taxes.

compared that with china, where, under government guidance, contractors, in order to win high tech contracts, where subsidized re almost everything. ie the end justifies the means, even if that means a number of suicides. i guess.

apple being an american icon, was asked about the lapse of jobs in the usa for its products. till 2004 apple claimed to make everything and only after that it moved to china. it was a quick and decisive move, and which sealed the fate of many a competing unit in silicon valley, for to be in competition to apple, and to take advantage of the trained labour, others shifted too, to china. and never to return to usa. ever.

if i were a chinese, i would be happy to read it. if i were an american, i would be distressed. if i were an indian, i would only but envy, but then that may be considered deragatory. so i would keep mum. :)

Privately, Apple executives say the world is now such a changed place that it is a mistake to measure a company’s contribution simply by tallying its employees — though they note that Apple employs more workers in the United States than ever before.

They say Apple’s success has benefited the economy by empowering entrepreneurs and creating jobs at companies like cellular providers and businesses shipping Apple products. And, ultimately, they say curing unemployment is not their job.

“We sell iPhones in over a hundred countries,” a current Apple executive said. “We don’t have an obligation to solve America’s problems. Our only obligation is making the best product possible.”

i hope, if you are interested, ny times, gives you the access. too bad, some of the finest publications have imposed limits or by subscriptions only :(

ps. my son 22 discussed this article with me. it is not whether china is right, but what china can do. he had one word for it, 'creepy'. the world should be worried.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Kunjuppu,

That is an interesting development in iPhone. I am impressed by the words of Apple executive
"We sell iPhones in over a hundred countries,” a current Apple executive said. “We don’t have an obligation to solve America’s problems. Our only obligation is making the best product possible.”
In this competitive market it the adage "survival of the fittest" rules and China with its disciplined work force shows the way of success. We know why our Country lags far behind China inspite of having good workers. Lack of political leadership and indiscipline rules India.

Regard,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

<as an established member, you should know mocking the moderators is not accepted. If it was meant to be a joke, it does not seem that way and it is in a very bad taste. not quite expected from someone like you>

Last edited by a moderator:
"Foxconn Electronics Inc. and Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) are joined at the hips. They've grown together over the last five years with Foxconn both piggybacking on and helping Apple achieve its enormous success in the PC and consumer electronics market. Today, Apple is the world's biggest electronics company by capitalization, and Foxconn is its No. 1 contract manufacturer."

EBN - Bolaji Ojo - Apple Has a Foxconn Problem

Foxconn can be worse disaster than Bhopal union carbide tragedy.

http://www.bhopal.com/

For some it is the results that matter, not the human cost. I am sure no American company can provide that kind of price, if you value human life. I am sure even India can not bear that kind of cost. I agree that the Chinese work ethics is higher productivity at terrible human cost.

It is great to speculate from far, but of course not in my back yard.

<as an established member, you should know mocking the moderators is not accepted. If it was meant to be a joke, it does not seem that way and it is in a very bad taste. not quite expected from someone like you>

i have already explained in pr msg, where my focus was re this msg. it had nothing to do with moderators or moderation. hope my explanation somewhat projected my thinking. (or absence of it) :)

Foxconn, the enormous Chinese manufacturer that pieces together products for Nintendo, Microsoft and Apple, among many others, has been the subject of numerous recent reports of atrocious working conditions and employee suicides.With every new story, commentators are invariably quick to ask "why don't the platform holders hold Foxconn accountable and demand change?"Well, an anonymous former Apple executive has offered a little insight as to why that doesn't happen."We've known about labour abuses in some factories for four years, and they're still going on," the source told The New York Times."Why? Because the system works for us. Suppliers would change everything tomorrow if Apple told them they didn't have another choice.""If half of iPhones were malfunctioning, do you think Apple would let it go on for four years?"
Why Apple doesn't do more to improve Foxconn working conditions - report • News • Eurogamer.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back