• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Long Lines and Lost Passports at India Consulates in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naina_Marbus

Long Lines and Lost Passports in the U.S. for an Indian Visa - India Real Time - WSJ

People traveling to India from the U.S. are wading through a bureaucratic nightmare when applying for documents.

In May, the Indian government changed the company in the U.S. it outsources the work of processing documents necessary for trips to India for people of Indian origin and visitors.

This is the second transition in a year and it has unraveled a flurry of problems – from lost passports and indefinitely delayed documents to trips that have to be canceled entirely.

Inadequate software, a backlog from the last company and overall mismanagement has cost thousands of applicants their time and money, they said.

The newest company, Cox and Kings Global Services took over on May 21 for BLS International Services which started in June last year.

“When the CKGS started their services, there was a crisis situation due to software issues, call center problems and their inability to handle huge volumes of work,” Deputy Consul General Dr. K J Srinivasa said in an email. Dr. Srinivasa is the based in the Indian consulate in San Francisco.

James Banks, a lawyer in California, trying to vacation in the southern Indian state of Kerala said he had to report his passport stolen after Cox and Kings told him they had never received it.

“(Cox and Kings) are without a doubt the most frustrating organization I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with in a long time,” Mr. Banks said.

Since mid-May hundreds of aspiring travelers desperate for their documents have packed the visa-processing offices of CKGS especially in San Francisco and New York. The angry crowds have drawn the attention of fire marshals and police – where the company was allegedly trying to accommodate as many as 700 applicants a day, according to consulate officials.

What should have taken five to seven working days took more than a month of angst for Mr. Banks as his trip in July approached. He finally retrieved his passport, after workers at CKGS claimed they never received it in the first place, and obtained his visa straight from the consulate on Monday, a procedure only recommended in emergencies.

Some comments about this problem:

SR
wrote:I dealt with these issues when renewing my Indian passport earlier this year. In my experience, the Indian Consulate in New York was the problem. BLS is a convenient scapegoat, but they seemed to do their job (which is just to collect your documentation and verify that it is complete). BLS was also a lot more responsive to my emails. The Consulate mostly ignored me. The process took nearly three months and I was without a passport the entire time.

Bill Higley wrote:Bring back Travisa! I never had a problem in the multiple years I used them. Now this debacle.

ravi chopra
wrote:Its not just for tourists. Even Indian citizens have to go through this nightmare when getting their passports renewed. This attitude of the Indian consulates /embassies( with a few exceptions) has been around for decades. They seem to feel that they are doing you a favor. Hopefully the Modi government will make some changes.

Mark J
wrote:I am an exporter and I work with about 75 different countries. I have nothing against Indian people or culture, but Indian bureaucracy is unbearable. Sometimes I receive an inquiry in the mail, from either private or public entities. For one small item, worth about $500, they will send me a 100 page contract to sign. Every “book” that they send me goes straight into the trash.

Last edited:
hi
im going to deal with new entity CKGS very soon....i feel Travisa was good....still i feel the nightmare....

I hear good things about Cox and Kings Washington, DC operation. There are two Tamilian Ladies who are more than helpful as opposed to Travisa and BLs both of them were not helpful. This new office is in a new safer location, with Visitors room with Sofa etc.

I hear good things about Cox and Kings Washington, DC operation. There are two Tamilian Ladies who are more than helpful as opposed to Travisa and BLs both of them were not helpful. This new office is in a new safer location, with Visitors room with Sofa etc.
hi sir,

im going to visit CKGS washington DC very soon....may be within 2 weeks....im waiting for an appointment with them...then i

will narrate my personal story...i know the new office address too...just info...Travista had tambram lady in DC office...

i met her personally.........

you know prasad ji
in singapore embassy in delhi when tamil ladies of singapore origin are at the counter,they will oblige you since they empathise with indians . when chinese staff take over it is a nightmare . they say no to everything .
when I got rebuffed by the chinese staff, the security man outside helpfully told me to hang on and wait for tamil staff to get my job done . He was correct .lol

I don't know of situations when or where one had to make personal visits, but in the circle of friends I have moved with, Travisa's service was efficient, everything was promptly done as promised, and no one needed to make a personal visit.

hi sir,

im going to visit CKGS washington DC very soon....may be within 2 weeks....im waiting for an appointment with them...then i

will narrate my personal story...i know the new office address too...just info...Travista had tambram lady in DC office...

i met her personally.........
It is the same lady. I am pretty sure you will not have any problem.

I don't know of situations when or where one had to make personal visits, but in the circle of friends I have moved with, Travisa's service was efficient, everything was promptly done as promised, and no one needed to make a personal visit.

Sir,
You just had to read the letter to editor in India Abroad to know the problems Travisa was. We sent our OCI card papers to them, they took all the money for both of us but only gave my OCI card. Then they transferred my wife's application to BLS. BLS claimed that we had to pay the fees again as Travisa did not forward the money. We had to pay BLS again to get the OCI card.
Travisa was not responsive to e-mail or telephone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back