• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to save brahmin community

Status
Not open for further replies.
re

For any development to happen there needs to be a necessity drive. Listing out the necessities would help in arriving at some common objectives.

Then comes the question of what kind of resources we need and how to address the common objectives.

We currently have not discussed any of the necessities - that is the real places where each one feels the Brahmin community needs help.

Is it education - if yes - what kind of education?

Is it financial growth - if yes - who are the people being addressed, where are they located?

Is it values, traditions - if yes - who is even willing to be part of it and how are our members going to help here?

Is it about spiritual progress - if yes - then there is a lot of scope for doing so right at home than in a public way...

And so on....

i think we should have a tamizh brahmana world directory,wherein people should volunteer to help in whatever way they can!i think we lack organising capacity on a global scale.

sb

pali,

i agree with you and brahmanyan.

quotas by caste, religious identities are a fact of life. i may be wrong, but i cannot see them disappearing in the next 50 to 100 years. even long after they have fulfilled their uses, they will likely to remain, due to sheer inertia brought about by any change.

i cannot, though but envy sometimes, being a christian in india. they have the largest number of schools and colleges (including medical). i grew up in a largely christian neighbourhood, and had a wonderful childhood.

whereas in my household, not only was there pressure to get the highest marks but also to be one goody two shoe! my christian (mostly catholic) had it easy. on the whole, they had a more relaxed set of expectations from their parents. add to it, even after failing in a class or having marks in the 60s range, did not have any problem getting into loyola or mcch in chennai, or in st.john's medical college in bangalore.

the only christian institution which is rigorous in its admission policy, to the best of my knowledge, is cmc vellore.

double standards? probably. can we do anything about it? no. this is the reality of india, and i believe, for us as a community, to be facing such type of situations (and there may be many others like this) has been the utter failure of our so called political and religious leadership of the 40s, 50s and 60s, who in their infinite stupidity did not foresee the consequences of independence on their own community.

there were several key occassions, when they could have called for an inclusive hinduism and moved all of us together. instead they kept to themselves in their isolation through arrogance and ignorance, with the net result that those who did not migrate, are to feel a sub par treatment of the only true skillset that an average tamil brahmin possesses - his intellect.

brahmanyan's observations re our resilience, is poignant, in the sense, that we have been worsted in our native lands, and sought and achieved what we perceive to be true fruit of our labours in the lands of the mlecchhas. so be it. but i think, if somewhat ironically, our ancestors had a bloody good ride overlording the other castes since the time of manu, and adapted this skillset, successfully, when the muslims and the british supplanted the hindudoms. survivors? yes we indeed are.

in the india of today, there is no idenitity, i believe, without linguistic roots. i used to feel sorry for the sindhi community, when i was growing, as the sindhis were dispersed all over india, without a home-state. coming from kerala, there is a strong identity of statehood, still in my extended family, and pattars are accepted as part of the malayali mosaic. i do grieve, that our tamil counterparts do not have this acceptance among the tamil tribes anymore. it is indeed a big loss, and the sense of isolation must be damning.

i have some theories myself, as to how this can be slowly but steadily reversed. but that process, i believe, requires a level of introspection, which i think, we are not ready to exercise. yet.

Last edited:
in our strong spiritual realisation as hindus,many of us know from vedas,that god can be called in many ways as there are many people,but god is one.even though conversion is happening,but its the same god who is called differently thats happening.

in order to save brahmin community, sometimes, even if one is a christian or islamic ,one can still practice brahminism.when this realisation,happens india might see mass conversion to either christianity or islam.vishnu gets replaced to jesus christ.nirguna brahman gets replaced to formeless allah.

sb

bala!

this your above post... "pathelin uchham"

ishvaro rakhathu

regards

Thanks Kunjuppu-ji...i suppose its high time i grow up from my over idealism too...and its good i found some sense of direction atleast now...as in other communities, money is not lacking amongst a good many of my lot too...but how to pool it without the competive streak within the lot and help the lesser fortunate ones was the difficulty..it might have been an easier choice to go to court to seek scrapping of caste and reservations if not for the sentimental side of protectionism for mutts (emotions may be feeling foolish in future)....however, i will continue to support YFE youth for equality and god willing, there will be no varna rigidity within the next 50 years just as it righfully had not existed before...or even if it had existed before, it won't be in future...

at the same time, for practical purposes i suppose i do need to get selfish...and have double-standards perhaps...never imagined that someday i wud need to start following what those useless dalit intelligentsia guys had been preaching and that too as a hypocracy side...but i suppose its abt flowing with the tide...will play my part from here on to strengthen the caste identity to bring all jaat-bhais together...so far the dominant culture followed in mixed marriages in my family has been the one that rolls out the cash more....so personally to me, that's where i'll be likening myself....

as for an inclusive hinduism, i understand it was a conscious choice by the tambram community not to go for such an incluvism not only in the past but also resist it with resilience in the present...the reasons (to me) are not so much of arrogance and ignorance but its a scenarios that comes when the culture gap is too huge and too wide to be consciously bridged with the larger tamil populace...(the selfish part of me is thinking thank god am more of telugu :) )

i wonder if, just as we had divided into states over linguistic lines, we will, in future be dividing into countries on caste lines....perhaps ltte was playing a future role in the past...somehow nothing sounds far fetched anymore...:violin:

Brahmin community has not been able to take to spiritual path wholly and that is difficult to push - because each person has a different path.

However, when we talk about saving the community as a whole, these are some things that come to my mind:

1. Children who take career decisions requiring relocation should include their parent(s) in that journey. At least when the parent(s) are not employed. If their parent(s) are averse to relocation, it should be considered whether they would accompany if the location was elsewhere. Only when there is no other option should the child relocate separately. Parents and children should live together at least when in the same town/city.

2. Parents should continue to treat their (grownup adult) children with love and care. The relation ship should not be like a third person as is seen commonly now a days.

3. Children should take all financial commitments not just based on their own wife and progeny. But, also ensure there is enough scope and allocation for ones' own parents.

4. Young kids in our community should at least be given 1 hour of traditional training (vedas, yoga, classical music, meditation etc) until they complete college education.

5. Grandparents and parents of a child are seen living together in harmony while they also have a good life style - then the child is bound to grow better. The good life style could include traditional practices, sharing, caring, good manners, morals etc., Now a days most of these are only book knowledge for the kids growing up.

6. Continued interaction of parents and grandparents with their own teachers and referring to their own teachers as a vital reason for their own growth in life would be a guide and source of inspiration for the young ones to emulate.

7. Ego free home can instill a better platform for Godly living in young generations.

sri,

i concur with mm. well said and even weller put.

i observe, your post, as idealistic. but without ideals as benchmarks, we would not have a goalpost to strive. in this context, i commend your observations.

i am not sure, what stage in life you are, and it is none of my business. if you have some concrete examples, of people known to you, who live by the principles enunciated by you, please let us know.

what i would like to know further, is how they manage to do this, in the context of current daily living. what compromises have been made, and by who.

i am 59 years old, and over this period, i have come across several instances of sons, moving away, and then either due to parental pressure or guilt, moving back. only to move away again. the reasons are too complex, and very particular to each circumstances, but the bottom line is the same.

the same goes for financial security. in these days, when the girls have equal rights for property before the law, i see it hypocritical, that it falls only on the shoulders of the son to take care of the parents. it should be a joint responsibility of all the children of both genders. also, girls get along better with their mothers as a rule - it avoids the oil/vinegar relationship of maamiyar/maattupponnu.

and finally, the lot of the working daughter in law of the family. she contributes to the income. even in the most 'liberal' household, there is an assumption, that the daughter in law's income is the sole ownership of the husband. i think, she has a right to continue help out her parents if there is such a need. will not the son help his parents?

so, sri, while i appreciate your ideals, i think the above issues are all related, and will impact the efficacy of putting to practice your set goals.

thank you.

Dear MM and Kunjuppu,

If there was anything appreciable about what I had thought of sharing in my previous posting, it would be for the families that I have been fortunate to be in association with for many years now.

Dear Kunjuppu,

There has been one family I have closely seen for 14 years where 6/7 (points written in my earlier posting) being a reality. Even the remaining 1 is only not clear to me, but might have been well attempted or adhered by them. This family has also grown in financial wealth year-on-year and generation-to-generation.

There has been at least three families I have seen where for many years now, the girl child has provided a part of her earnings for her own parents even after marriage. The sharing of financial resources has been voluntary in all these three cases even from the boy's side. Out of the three, one family does not have a boy child. The second family the girl has brothers and there was a need for support. In third family the girl has a well to do brother and there was/is no need for support.

One of the three above has already retired. Two of the three above have children of their own. One of the three above is at an early stage of marriage. So, this is and has been happening - maybe not too commonly. The third one is the best (in my opinion) because there was/is no necessity, but it was/is out of love and gratitude towards ones own parents.

All examples I have quoted are from living (& loving) Tamil Brahmins families.

How they manage to do this:

1. Not bragging about what they do.

2. A sense of detachment towards money but not being away from it

3. Progressive but not self centered

4. Love in combination of the above is a powerful catalyst

Have they made compromises and by who:

Would we believe I haven't found them compromising?

Compromises - Is it about what one lost in what one wants? And what one lost in what one could have got being self centered?

The secret of upbringing in these households is all about mutual growth and well being. They find it difficult to compromise that. That is the reason for their success.

s v,

The secret of upbringing in these households is all about mutual growth and well being. They find it difficult to compromise that. That is the reason for their success.

best analysis,but 'praptham' is 'deiva sakthi'.Our efforts are important,but the fruits of our labor is in the hands of lord,isn't it?

sb

I know I am being repetitive here, but do our brahmins agree, for a start, at least on an informal trusted group that could volunteer to direct the efforts of helping our community?

Like, for example, we could use the evaluation of credible individuals, who could, delve into sponsorship requests and come out whether it is all ok... the member(s) who wish to sponsor can then decide among themselves, as to the amount, that could be expended (based on individual capacity), and which could be paid directly to the institution?

The details of the sponsor can also be made available online...

Would this work?

There are companies that say they outsource certain kinds of work to others because it is not their core business component or not their core competence. That is business. Charity is not.

In my opinion,

We (as individuals) cannot outsource an act of charity. Any organization or trusted group needs administration, checks and balances. Which dilutes the effort towards the core purpose and tends to take away the funds and resources to areas that were not the real purpose. Also, the donor(s) and receiver(s) comes in public view.

It would be sufficient if we can live well, pass on the good vibes to our children, family, relatives, friends, colleagues and neighborhood. This is very difficult initially. But, if this is seen as a source of deriving satisfaction in life - it becomes easy.

All that we need is people to commit themselves to the cause - than commit their money to it.

The first and foremost thing that we can do is swadharma Paripalanam (Do our Nithya Karma to the extent possible)

· Reaching out the veda patasala and Vedic Pundits who are old and helping them.
· Explore the possibility of providing training in English to the students at veda patasalas.
· Provide support to gurukals/bhatars (Basically the archagars)
· Have a kind of workshop for the priests ( a kind of finishing school), where we can train them on interpersonal skills.
· Help the schools which trains the archagas (Partner with them as well as temple renovation groups) to get the right placements
· Try to work amongst general public and change their perception that the Brahmin class is the reason for all the evils in the society and make them understand that this is the community which works selflessly for the cause of every one.
· Try to make the community once again looked upon with respect within the society
· Help propagate Thevaram and Divys Prabhandam amongs the Community. Even many Vaishanvites today do not know the hyms sung during Sathumarai). Many siva temples are devoid of Odhuvars.
· These activities if taken up will make more people learn the Vedas and keep the tradition alive.
· Visit the above institutions and help them on the need basis.
· To bring the 'platform to help' for these institutions on the internet
· Visit to local temple every week - thAEvAram class , Vishnu Shasranama Parayanam, Vilakku Pooja, mass chanting of bhagavan nAma /distribute prAsadham
o Help the old age people who had spent their life for the noble cause lead a peaceful life
o Sponsor the students belonging to these schools
o Help these family to follow the tradition
o Educate the community in improving interpersonal skills.
o Motivate the existing Archagars/Vedic pundit son to take a course in the veda/agama by providing necessary support.
· To have week end sessions for working professionals to learn atleast the basics like Rudram, chamakam, pursusha Suktham, Sree Sooktham, etc.
· To have regular visits to temples and chant Vedas.

I am working with couple of like minded people to start working on these activities and anyone who is interested in joining this noble cause can mail me to [email protected]

Hi Friend,
I am the one behind you...We will prove who we are to the world.
I am also collecting the same members from lot many days.
What is your plan to move forward?
How many members that u collected so far?
First of all we people has to demand the reservation in the existing society.
I dont know really why Brahmins are not getting reservations ....?
This is really socially imbalance thing...
Directly it is an act to destruct the Brahmin community ..
No doubt...
I dont think after some years we will get an oppurtunity in the society to live..

Surely Government will charge to breath and to drink water to brahmins..

Really Poor Brahmins ....How pathetic is this?

I am the one who hates reservations in India...

Just Give me ur mail id i ill make a contact with u and we will discuss what to do?

"the idea of opening a tamil brahmin friendly educational institution in karnataka was thrown about here a while ago. or in kerala. the reason being, we would qualify as a linguistic minority institution, and hence enforce a policy tending to favour our own kith and kin."

A very good idea indeed. in fact i recently saw an ad in Thuglak about a school in bangalore exclusivly for Brahmins where Vedam along with English Education is provided.

Even in chennai 'Ahobhila Math Oriental Higher secondary school' offers such kind of dual education. i am not sure how many of the middle class/high class people opt for this education.

The need of the hour is to bring in change in the hearts of Brahmins. Even withing our community the archagars/vedic pundits today are not getting due respect and recognition. many of the young males are not getting girls to marry as they sport turft (Kudumi). this is the sad state of our community.

Secondly we need to bring in change in the perception of non brahmins as to how they see us. Practically we are the one who lend a helping hand to them in times of need (but through NGO's which are mostly from missionary background). we need to help them directly.

I have the following plans and working towards the same.

a) In chennai i have formed a group and is planning to start taking week end classes for students in slums. once we get their confidence we are planning to take classes on our culture and also history (especially tamil hindu/brahmin). this way we feel we can slowly bring about a change. even if we are able to make an impact on 2 people in slums that would be a great success

2) to start a trust for poor brahmins with the following objectives
· Reaching out and Help the Vedic Pundits/priests who are old and helping them and their family
· Explore the possibility of providing training in English to the students at veda patasalas.
· Have a kind of workshop for the priests ( a kind of finishing school), where we can train them on interpersonal skills.
· Help the schools which trains the archagas (Partner with them as well as temple renovation groups) to get the right placements
· Help propagate Thevaram and Divys Prabhandam amongs the Community. Even many Vaishanvites today do not know the hyms sung during Sathumarai). Many siva temples are devoid of Odhuvars.
· To bring the 'platform to help' for these institutions on the internet
· Visit to local temple every week - thAEvAram class , Vishnu Shasranama Parayanam, Vilakku Pooja, mass chanting of bhagavan nAma /distribute prAsadham
· Form a team with a old person as the leader, who can visit the temples regularly during pradosham/ekadasi and facilitate the organizing special pooja/ kuthu vilaku pooja, targeting the locals. This person will also try to bridge the gap between the priest and the locals and help the priest get more respect. (The detailed plan for this can be charted out later)
· Support for Temple poojA and archakas
oPidi arisi thittam
oNallennnai for deepam, paruppu, vellam etc.,
oHelp the temple priest by providing monthly supplies and other medical facilities
·To create a trust to help the poor Archagas/vedic pundits/Odhuvars
oHelp the old age people who had spent their life for the noble cause lead a peaceful life.
oSponsor the students belonging to these schools
oHelp these family to follow the tradition
o Educate the community in improving interpersonal skills.
oMotivate the existing Archagars/Vedic pundit son to take a course in the veda/agama by providing necessary support.

· To have week end sessions for working professionals to learn atleast the basics like Rudram, chamakam, pursusha Suktham, Sree Sooktham, etc.
· To have regular visits to temples and chant Vedas.
· To partner with intuitions’/individuals who would be willing to impart Sanskrit education to the masses.
· To have week end veda classes in different locality like Mylapore, CHromepet, W.Mambalam, Nanganallur etc.
· To conduct Sloka classes in different locality for children
· To conduct classes on Dharma to girls/ladies
· Try to work amongst general public and change their perception that the Brahmin class is the reason for all the evils in the society and make them understand that this is the community which works selflessly for the cause of every one.
· Try to make the community once again looked upon with respect within the society
· To Organize Sanskrit classes
· To form a team to teach moral science for school kids.
c) To start networking with NGOs which are pro hindus. we need to work with them closely so that people see that our community works for social cause.

I think these activities if done wholeheartedly would slowly start having a effect on the perception about us.

I am working with couple of like minded people to start working on these activities and anyone who is interested in joining this noble cause can mail me to [email protected]

i have been seeing posts on forming a thread but see no one is connecting with other in this issue. Request the moderator to pitch in and bring the people in chennai together to discuss and start the trust and also activities on ground than just posting in this forum.

I had mentioned about some of the activities earlier as response to different threads but have not been getting adequate response. Hope i get more responses for this initiative.

Last edited:
The first thing that we, as brahmins, should do, is to lend a helping hand to our community folks in employment... this is also the least that we can do...

But strangely, I found that, it is difficult on two counts:

The first is the reluctant mentality/ego on the part of the 'helper' - could be due to the fact that brahmins generally are not gracious enough to acknowledge the assistance, and, probably the 'helped' tends to harbour a high ego after he has reached a financially sound level... Also, most believe that one should achieve a position by one's own hardwork and not by other means... fair enough, but the competition is not fair and thus, there is a distinct disadvantage in this view...

Secondly, brahmins prefer niche jobs - they are reluctant to switch between job areas... most have a decent education, and therefore prefer a chosen profile... and they tend to ignore most of the assistance offered to them... in the IT industry, probably this is a bit less... but in other areas, say, an M.Com or an MBA (from a less reputed univ) does not want to fit into a routine/operational profile...

Here, I find that people from other communities are sponsoring their community folk - left, right and centre.... but strangely, this is less in the tamil group, and more so, in the brahmin community...

Malayalees, Gujaratis, Sri Lankans, Filipinos etc have a solid network through which they assist their group... and w.r.t. the job profile, they acclimatise themselves...

We brahmins, while clamouring that governance/society is partial to us, are reluctant to assist the other...! Are we laid-back? Contented with ourselves alone?

I may be generalizing here and hence the view...

Please let us work on this to uplift ourselves materially... let us shed our egos and be fair to, at least, our community folk... this would imbue a sense of unity to our community...

Regards,

From my own experiences and observations, I wish to state the following.

1. We brahmins, especially the Tamils, lack cohesiveness and do not possess team-spirit.
So, forming a committee and all will result in ego clashes and scramble for power
and positions. A good idea will be just one or two people must join together to
achieve the professed goals.

2. Reservation for brahmins? I could not even imagine! We shall not go the way
what we have been opposing all along, these years.

3. Every achievement started only with dreaming and big ideas were derided initially;
but that did not deter some persons from producing what they wanted to.

4. To start with, small tutorials, nursery schools etc. may be founded.

5. Informal education and continuing education may be strongly propagated and
spearheaded.

6. Pooling up knowledge resources at select places for the common benefit must
take place, so that money does not rear its ugly head and spoil the mission.

7. Coaching for vocational, industrial, professional and competitive exams must be
taken up, at all small and big towns throughout the state.

8. Mobilising the people to fight on common issues through democratic and legal means
is to be done vigourously.

9. Side by side, the efforts to found a world class educational institution and hospital
for the community shall not be given up and it should move ahead at uniform
pace.

10. Co-ordination at various levels and between different networks or clusters must
be ensured without any laxity or hitch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back