• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

how to find kula deivam

Status
Not open for further replies.
sir,i belong to a pucca tamil iyer family and so does my mother in law.i recently learnt that my Father in law belongs to the warrier family and they do not know the kula deivam as he moved away from the family and we have no contact with him.my mother in law also is not aware of any details.My husband is the eldest son in the family and he has a brther and i have one son who is the only boy in the family.My son who was very studious has lost interst in studies.I know wish to find our kuladeivam and clear all our debts to the deity which is starved for so many years.Kindly help me to find out how for which i shall be grateful.===regards--mrs mala ashok

Namaskar Sowbhagyavathy Mala Ashok,

While I feel I am unable to help you in any way regarding rediscovering your kula devam I would like to inquire as to some details about your son. How old is he? What subjects strike his interests? What is his nakshatra / janma rassi? I ask because I not only do I pray regularly for academic support from the devas but also because I live and work in academia in the States.

I am no man to write spiritual prescriptions. I can only tell you what works for me. As a devotee I can attest to the power of the two sets of matra I will tell you to perform. What I cannot do is attest to their effectiveness in a situation where the speaker of the mantras is a concerned mother and the student himself not a part of the recitation. In that respect if the child is old enough he should perform this with you. . .

I suggest that you both (and your husband as well if he is willing) sit in your own home before your shrine. Explain to your son exactly what sankalpam is and explain that this is where we set our intent and build our worship. Explain that it is this statement of intent to the devas that provides the framework of our request in the rites to come and that he must be adamant in his desire for it to come to fruition during the recitation. Prepare a kalasa and have him focus on his intent to have academic obstacles dropped for him and for the goddess to grant him with sharp mental acuity as you perform sankalpam. Chant the sri lalita sahasranam stotram and then the lalita trishati in which the sacred panchadasha manta is enshrined. Offer naivedyam to the goddess so that prashadam may be eaten by the boy materializing the grace that has been brought within. The next morning after his bath have him pour the water from the kalasa over his head as he stands upright so that the holy water may cascade down his body from the sahasrara to the muladhara chakras and send him to school.

Sri Lalita Maha Tripurasundari will surely guide him throughout the year. This great Devi embodies Mahasaraswati goddess of knowledge and science and vanquisher of asuric forces. This is my humble suggestion for the boy. Similar worship has aided me in my academic career. It may work for you.

Best of luck rediscovering your kula devata.

Aum Namah Sivaya

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Mrs. Mala Ashok,

IMO spiritual approach will produce the best results. Whether it is appeasing your kula deivam or reciting the mantras as prescribed by Shri. Boston Sankara, the best results is definitely through the spiritual route.

Dear Mala,

Mr K Gopalan ji of this forum is quite an expert about Kula Deivam but he does it through skype.
I have read his posts in forum.

Let him see your post and he will surely help you.

I will PM him and lets wait for his reply.

your husband's and son's date of birth and time of birth and place of birth is required to find out kula deivam.

Dear Mrs. Mala,

I will pray to my Kula Deivam for helping you to find yours. I believe, even though, we might not have the knowledge of their whereabouts; the day, we start feeling that we need to connect with our Kula Deivam, we will get their darshan. They are just waiting for us to remember them and they will be next to us in all times.

Sri Matrae Namahah

Smt. Mala Ashok,

I understand that your FIL belongs to the Varriar caste while your MIL is a Tamil Brahmin. AFAIK, Varriaers are called "ambalavasis" (those who are temple-dependents) and they usually have no Kuladeivam concept in the same way as we Tabras do have.

Hence imho, if your son shows sudden lack of interest in his studies, it will be better for you to consult a good psychologist who specializes in teenage problems. I know of a case in which the only son left his CA studies abruptly and turned violent on his parents when they asked him why he did so, because he was unhappy with some domestic factors (as it came out after psychologist's report). Those were different from yours, of course.

The boy (youth) in question had to be left with his athai and family for a few months with no contact at all with his parents, and then he became normal but his CA has gone completely phut and now the psychologist has strongly advised the parents not to put any difficult/unpleasant questions.

Last edited:
Smt. Mala Ashok,

I understand that your FIL belongs to the Varriar caste while your MIL is a Tamil Brahmin. AFAIK, Varriaers are called "ambalavasis" (those who are temple-dependents) and they usually have no Kuladeivam concept in the same way as we Tabras do have.

Hence imho, if your son shows sudden lack of interest in his studies, it will be better for you to consult a good psychologist who specializes in teenage problems. I know of a case in which the only son left his CA studies abruptly and turned violent on his parents when they asked him why he did so, because he was unhappy with some domestic factors (as it came out after psychologist's report). Those were different from yours, of course.

The boy (youth) in question had to be left with his athai and family for a few months with no contact at all with his parents, and then he became normal but his CA has gone completely phut and now the psychologist has strongly advised the parents not to put any difficult/unpleasant questions.

I like this well constructed advice.
I feel that too many times we miss the important factors and chase after some so called shortcuts. Devine intervention should only be an insurance, you need to look for other factors to solve the problems.

I too agree with Sri Sangom and Sri Prasad. To turn our backs on the faculty of our and others discerning minds and medicine is to deny some of the gods greatest gifts to mankind. Absolutely all avenues should be explored when it comes to building the healthy foundation of our future (our children).

regd my son's DOB and my husband

your husband's and son's date of birth and time of birth and place of birth is required to find out kula deivam.

Sir,My due respects to you i a hereiwth replying.

to your question :my son's name is Anirudh Ashok DOB-2/5/1994 and place of birth is bangalore at 3.50am on Monday morning.

My husband is V.Ashok is 8/3/1960 at bangalore at 3.04 AM

Madam, It is strong beleif that we have to do pooja at least once in a year for our Kulu Devi & Devata (If someone have). Some family have both or one atleast Devi. Since i feel sorry you dont know about your parrents Kula devam. Since you have married and your Gothram has changed and automatically your Kula Devam also changes so you dont need to bother. Now what your husband & their parents follow you have to follow them as per thier tradition. Since you have raised this issue my view is Kula Devi is form of Duga Devi so pray for Durga Devi, who is supreme devi (who is is in all form of Devi). Basically all warrior families pray first to Devi. So pray for Devi specially Durga Devi or any Devi whom you have belive or the Devi which comes in your mind automatically. Kula Devam can be any one Tirupati Balaji, Palani Murgan, Shivan. Above all if you pray for Devi automatically all things will be solved by her grace.

Pray this Mantra : Amme narayana devi narayana lakshmi narayana bhadre narayana daily at time of your daily nitya pooja i.e at the morning hours and evening hours when you light the Pooja Lamp.

&
[h=1]Durga Mantra (Om Dum Durgayei Namaha) - 54 Times.[/h]
With the blessing all your problem will be solved.

R.A.KUMAR

Positively Asuric hate-filled postings. I am speechless.

your kula deivam is Goddess Durga devi. approximately some 75 kilometers away from your son's birth place. in west or south west direction. give some donation to the temple and pray there .

Dear Mrs Mala Ashok,

I can understand your feelings since I also suffered what your son suffers.

I was good in studies until 8th standard. At the beginning of my 9th standard I suffered from Typhoid and was bedridden for more than a month. When I resumed attendance I discovered I suffered from loss of memory and lack of interest. The antibiotics had had some side effects. I did not fare well in exams. It took a long time for me to recover. In the meantime my academic progress was adversely affected. However I am in a very good position now and I do not lack any good thing.

I have a christian colleague who quoted from the Bible as follows :

"If any of you lacks wisdom he shall pray to God and God will give wisdom liberally and without reproach".

I have requested my christian colleague to pray for your son.

I assure my prayers also for your son.

Regards,
Iyer@Infosys

Sir,

Pranams , I too have the same issue of identifying my Kula Deivam. I Was born in Madurai on 13th November 1978 @ 11.55 PM. I belong to Vadhula Gotham. My Fathers name is N. Sundaram and he is also born in Madurai . I don't remember the time and year of his birth as we are not living together and our family is a broken family. He was born on the 5th of December. Any help in identifying my kula deivam is very much appreciated.

Once again pranams.

Sridhar
[email protected]

Hi folks,

I have been coming across in this forum repeated requests from various members for help in finding their kuladeivam. I do not understand what is meant by this entity called kuladeivam. Is it a deivam exclusively reserved for a particular kula or clan? If God is God, is it not enough if we go to a local temple and pray- in any temple? I find wherever such a search is come across, invariably the origin is an astrologer's advice. Even among Hindus the vaishnavites do not have this concept of Kuladeivam. At the most the kuladeivam will be their nativeplace temple deity which will be either Krishna, Varadaraja, Rama or Venkatesa. I think instead of searching for the so called kuladeivam , the search should be to find a method to get inner peace by going to the local temple regularly and silently sitting in the praakaara and praying. That will solve all the problems. Never never go an astrologer as he is sure to bring in this kuladeivam concept into the equation and send you on the kuladeivam hunting expedition. You may end up with a lot of unnecessary anxiety in not finding the kuladeivam. Cheers.

Hi folks,

I have been coming across in this forum repeated requests from various members for help in finding their kuladeivam. I do not understand what is meant by this entity called kuladeivam. Is it a deivam exclusively reserved for a particular kula or clan? If God is God, is it not enough if we go to a local temple and pray- in any temple? I find wherever such a search is come across, invariably the origin is an astrologer's advice. Even among Hindus the vaishnavites do not have this concept of Kuladeivam. At the most the kuladeivam will be their nativeplace temple deity which will be either Krishna, Varadaraja, Rama or Venkatesa. I think instead of searching for the so called kuladeivam , the search should be to find a method to get inner peace by going to the local temple regularly and silently sitting in the praakaara and praying. That will solve all the problems. Never never go an astrologer as he is sure to bring in this kuladeivam concept into the equation and send you on the kuladeivam hunting expedition. You may end up with a lot of unnecessary anxiety in not finding the kuladeivam. Cheers.

I too fail to understand this kuladevaim concept.

dear mrs mala,

i see by your son's birth in 1994, he would be in his teens now.

i am recollecting my youth here. till i was 14 i used to do extremely well in the class. after that i lost interest in studies. no matter what, nothing would enter my head. i still do not know, how i passed my undergrad engineering, and later post grad degrees too.

i attribute it solely to my skill in expressing myself in english. and nothing more.

so, getting marks, and being class topper, even though a formula that we think is the path to the yellow brick road, it may not all be so.

my closest male relative by marriage, came last in his class in chem engg in annamalai univ. long ago. he did so well in his career, that 10 years after graduation, he hired his class' gold medalist, as the latter was for years without and unable to get a job.

so, all i can suggest, if it is still a concern, is maybe, to find your son's field of interest and guide him to studying in those.

sad to say, mine own was economics. in the madras of 1960s a B.A. in Economics, was the last refuge of someone who didnt get admission any where. so no way, i could have convinced my parents to let me study economics. but in retrospect, i sincerely believe, i could have had so much satisfaction, and based on my confidence now, could have turned to be a good economist.

such is life. take care lady, and be gentle with your son. he is your most precious jewel.

God Bless.

Kuladeivam concept and practice is not unique to tambrams; in fact all communities in tamilnadu have kuladeivams and follow an unbroken tradition. Many NRIs too include a visit to the kula temple in their tight itinerary.

When someone wants to find out her kuladeivam, shares her personal details and earnestly seeks help and advice, one must take it seriously. One can always go to other focused forums to seek solutions from a different perspective.

It is like this: I want to buy ghee for puja; my friend advises me to buy egg and beat it and tries to convince me emulsified yolk is better than ghee.

Dear Sarang,

It is like this: I want to buy ghee for puja; my friend advises me to buy egg and beat it and tries to convince me emulsified yolk is better than ghee.

It is not like that. It is like this:

I am telling my friend that I am looking for a cow. Friend asks me why. I say I want to get the ghee to use for pooja. Friend says the street end kirana store has enough ghee in its stock to last for my next 10 years pooja.

Cheers.

I am starting a new discussion on the concept of Kula Devata. Please wait. Do not post in this thread.

Thank You.

There are two issues.

Kula deivam is an ishta devata; all tamilians, including tambrams do some samskaras (tonsure for example) in the kula temple as it was done by generations in their family. If the link is broken, and if some want to find our and renew the link, it should not be discouraged.

When one wants to pursue a ritual/ bhakti route (you have recommended temple prayer) what is the point in recommending a shrink who will charge 100 times more than the pujari.

Dear Sarang,

It is not like that. It is like this:

I am telling my friend that I am looking for a cow. Friend asks me why. I say I want to get the ghee to use for pooja. Friend says the street end kirana store has enough ghee in its stock to last for my next 10 years pooja.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back