• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

how to find kula deivam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kula Deivam concept is as much a belief as, say, vegetarian Rama or "apaurusheya vedas". It can be eminently dispensed with but then nobody will be usually prepared to accept such a decision when the child's studies is in peril! So, if some one tells like "your Kula Deivam is deity X, in a temple which is Y kilometers to the east/south/west/north of your place of birth/present place of residence", then the person is satisfied, the temple also benefits!! Vaazhka Kula Deivam concept!

Kula Deivam concept is as much a belief as, say, vegetarian Rama or "apaurusheya vedas". It can be eminently dispensed with but then nobody will be usually prepared to accept such a decision when the child's studies is in peril! So, if some one tells like "your Kula Deivam is deity X, in a temple which is Y kilometers to the east/south/west/north of your place of birth/present place of residence", then the person is satisfied, the temple also benefits!! Vaazhka Kula Deivam concept!

Yeah. Every opportunity to denigrate the Hindu Gods and principles should be used to the hilt to hit at the believers. Whether it is apaurusheya vedas or purushottam Ramavatar or whatever comes handy. I do not understand what connection exists between the apaurusheyatva of the vedas, Hindu concept of avtars etc and the astrologer promoted and driven kuladeivam concept other than the common denominator belief.

There are two issues.

As long you follow a tradition and perform a certain samskaras in a temple known as kuladeivam temple it is okay. It is a belief. But when you go to an astrologer and he finds out that you do not know which is your kuladeivam during the conversation, he cleverly introduces the fear of the unknown in your mind by telling you that the forgotten kuladeivam is terribly angry with you and is causing all your troubles in this world. Then he leads you by hand-holding through a wild goose chase extracting money from you for every step. If you have forgotten your ancestors kuladeivam temple go to another temple and adopt it as your kuladeivam and pay your obeisience to that moorthy. I am sure what you pay there will be delivered to your original kuladeivam without any transmission loss. This is my case. Fear is the key. I am trying to give a different perspective so that the debilitating effect of that fear of the unknown is removed smoothly. Please perceive.

Cheers.

As long you follow a tradition and perform a certain samskaras in a temple known as kuladeivam temple it is okay. It is a belief. But when you go to an astrologer and he finds out that you do not know which is your kuladeivam during the conversation, he cleverly introduces the fear of the unknown in your mind by telling you that the forgotten kuladeivam is terribly angry with you and is causing all your troubles in this world. Then he leads you by hand-holding through a wild goose chase extracting money from you for every step. If you have forgotten your ancestors kuladeivam temple go to another temple and adopt it as your kuladeivam and pay your obeisience to that moorthy. I am sure what you pay there will be delivered to your original kuladeivam without any transmission loss. This is my case. Fear is the key. I am trying to give a different perspective so that the debilitating effect of that fear of the unknown is removed smoothly. Please perceive.

Cheers.

A hard hitting, but honest opinion.
Sometimes you need a jolt to wake us up from our ignorance.
Mr. Sharmah has started a new thread on this topic.
In general most of the religion is based on guilt, fear, and ignorance.
Hinduism is the only religion where you can be totally rational.

There are 2 sets of astrologers one would say that ' you have ignored Kula Daivam and that is the cause for your misery'; another would say being a Kula Daivam how can it be angry with you. Problems are there for all and sundry and intelligent people. Only fools or rather "asadukal" do not suffer by anything. I know there are families who have no Kula Daivam nor follow the practice of mudirirakal. Theirs could be a case of ignorance or an honest truth. But everybody tries to follow their mind. Better to assuage the feelings of people in distress in their own way but at the same time not initiate the new into new fears.

There are 2 sets of astrologers one would say that ' you have ignored Kula Daivam and that is the cause for your misery'; another would say being a Kula Daivam how can it be angry with you. Problems are there for all and sundry and intelligent people. Only fools or rather "asadukal" do not suffer by anything. I know there are families who have no Kula Daivam nor follow the practice of mudirirakal. Theirs could be a case of ignorance or an honest truth. But everybody tries to follow their mind. Better to assuage the feelings of people in distress in their own way but at the same time not initiate the new into new fears.

Dear Shri iyya,

I will relate about my own "Kula Deivam". It is a Saasta or Ayyappan temple in Tirunelveli district. I came to know about the idea of Kula Deivam and our own temple sometime during the 1950's when some people from the enlarged patriarchical family (actually three brothers) came to our house for asking donation for a proposed "Kumbhaabhishekam". As our condition was very bad financially, my father sent them away with excuses only (I think.). These people, it transpired later on, had engaged a taxi, toured many parts of Tirunelveli, KK, and many parts of Travancore, Palghat, etc., and ultimately the collection was not sufficient even to pay the taxi hire!

After I got a job and our house conditions improved a bit, our relatives started "brain-washing" my mother with our neglect of Kula deivam whenever there was even a small problem in the house (like fever or something like that). I could withstand these up to some point of time. But then came my younger sister's marriage and my parents visited the temple. Subsequently we visited the temple on several occasions, especially after my younger brother's marriage to a TNLY girl.

The temple is run by a family trust and at one time, my close relative became the Chief Trustee. He managed to get one Kumbhabhishekam performed due to his very able financial management. People have changed (passed on to the other world) and there has been 4 or 5 more Kumbhaabhishekams. But, of late, some people in the managing committee have become ardent devotees of some swamiji and they insist on inviting this swamiji and his large entourage, keep them for a week or ten days in royal luxury and get the Kumbhaabhishekam done by this swami.

I am against Kumbhaabhishekam itself and more so against the insistence on such a costly swami outfit. As a result I have decided not to visit that temple any more. But since it continues to be run by a family trust, I send the annual contribution as a member of the family. Since my wife is afraid of Kuladeiva kutram befalling us, I have told her to keep a laminated photo of the deity in her pooja and have convinced her that this is sufficient.

hi sir,
the above thread closed now....so i like to continue here.....DO ALL BRAHMINS NEED KULA DEIVAM....MY ANSWER....YES...

the reason....generally three big sects in brahmins.... SAIVAS...VAISHNAVAS....SMARTHAS....saivas generally gurukkal/

chidambaram dikshithars. subsects.....vaishnavas generally tenkalai/vadagalai subsects.....smarthas genrally vadama/brahacharam/

vaathima/astrasastram....there is no problem abt kuladeivam for saivas/vaishnavas...they follow lord shiva/lord vishnu

respectively as their kula deivam....next smarthas....SMARTHAS ARE MOST COMPLICATED/CONFUSED SECT OF BRAHMINS....

INCLUDING ME.....PANCHAYATANA PUJA IS NOT FOR ALL SMARTHAS......I AM FROM SMARTHA FAMILY....WE FOLLOW

VAISHNAVA SYSTEM...NOT PANCHAYATANA PUJA SYSTEM.....in 94 smartha agraharams in and around palakkad zilla.....

every home has kula deivam must.....some kinda devi kaavu attached with homes....even tanjore/tirunelveli smarthas too...

SORRY TO SAY....TODAYS MANY COMPLICATIONS IN BRAHMINS CREATED BY SMARTHAS...NOT OTHERS... THEY ARE

VERY FOCUSSED TOWARDS SHIVA/VISHNU.....so the bottom line.....smarthas need kila deivam....no doubt abt it...

Sri. TBS, Grretings.

Your message in post #33 is interesting. Why should there be any confusion amoung Smarthas or any other sect for that matter?

Any Kula Deivam or any deivam or any God concept... the whole lot is only for strengthening our psyche and mentality. Some persons when they feel empowered become egoistic and arrogant. But there are persons who become quiet and humble after realising such empowerment.

If we really look at the whole thing, kula deivam is our own mind.

Most persons adopt kula deivam when they feel the God concept is quiet awesome to follow; kula deivam concept gives them the confidence and courage to approach and also a feeling of exclusivity.

What can be more easier and closer than our own mind? it would be exclusive to the core too!

Cheers!

If we really look at the whole thing, kula deivam is our own mind.

Most persons adopt kula deivam when they feel the God concept is quiet awesome to follow; kula deivam concept gives them the confidence and courage to approach and also a feeling of exclusivity.

What can be more easier and closer than our own mind? it would be exclusive to the core too!

Cheers!

i like this defiinition of kula deivam. it is like taking small bites and chewing it well, instead of trying to gobble a full apple and get it stuck in one's throat. :)

i would also like to add, the concept of kula deivam, gives them the feeling, that it is their own special god, something that they share with a select few :) there can be kinship formed through shared KD. no?

Respected Sir

I have mailed You my horosocope details. Could You please help to find our kuladeivam and where it located.

regards
V.Subramanian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back