• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to arrest the slide in TB numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my office there is a VP at the age of 33 years ..He was a Manager at the age of 26 years as he started going to work at the age of 20 as soon as he finished his BA...He is now more powerful that MBA's from IIM'S as he has more experience, has the requisite soft skills..Why do you feel that post graduation is the only salvation for our community...Even now many have an M.S or M.B.A by age of 24 years...2 to 3 years job is more than sufficient to start a family unless the guy is a dumb nincompoop

As far as Girls, they finish BE by the age of 21 or 22 years and they can do a 1 year PG diploma..If they do B.Sc they would have completed M.Sc.Why should they go for a job before marriage..Why are we insisting..Let us take our kids into confidence..As one of the members mentioned and shared his experience let us not push them to work!

There is something known as "tyranny of elitism" which is imposing the view of an elitist or a group of elitists on a group of beings though the view of the group is at variance with the view of the elitists. We had the example of "award Wapsi gang" in the very recent past, trying to push their view down the throats of the rest of the country.

Citing exceptions to the norms cannot be an answer to the problem. How many of your friends, acquaintances, relatives, groupies etc. became a VP at the age of 33 years? Did you yourself become a VP at 33 years of age? Is the example you are sharing an "exception to the rule" or is it the rule itself?

When we talk about a community we take the "average or mean" of the community as a reference point, not the super stars or super failures. If you take the first 10 names that crop up in your mind, how many successful VPs were there by the time they were 33?

At least I am not insisting that they should take up the job before marriage. But why are you insisting that the girls should be happy with a one year PG diploma? Why not a full fledged post graduation course and/or even doctoral thesis if they have inclination and stuff to do it?

மடி, ஆசாரம்!

அப்பாவின் மருத்துவத் தொழிலால், எங்கள் வீட்டில் அத்தனை மடி ஆசாரம் கிடையாது! தினம் இரு வேளை குளியல்;

இறை வழிபாடு போன்றவை உண்டே தவிர, ஈரத் துணியுடன், கொடியில் முந்தின நாள் துவைத்து உலர்த்திய 'மடி'யைக்

குச்சியால் எடுத்துச் செல்லுவது, போன்ற விஷயங்கள் தெரியாது. நான் 'வாக்குப் பட்ட' வீட்டிலோ எதிர்மறை. ஒரு டம்ளர்

தண்ணீரை பக்கத்தில் வைத்துக் கொண்டு, அதில் இடது கையை அடிக்கடி நனைத்துகொண்டேதான், 'சுய பரிமாறல்' நடக்கும்.

(அதே தண்ணிரை அவர்கள் குடிக்கும்போதுதான், எனக்கு என்னவோ செய்யும்!) ஊறுகாய் பாட்டில் ஸ்பூனைத் தண்ணிக் கையால்

தொட்டால், ஊறுகாய் கெட்டுப் போகுமோ என்று எனக்கு 'டென்ஷன்' ஏறும்! அவர்களின் பழக்க வழக்கம் தெரிந்துகொள்ளுமுன்,

நான் அடித்த லூட்டிகள் பற்பல! .....................

Welcome to read the continuation from post # 104 in this page of வண்ண வண்ண மனிதர்கள்!

and post # 111 in this page of வண்ண வண்ண மனிதர்கள்!

P.S: Special invitation to Narayan Sir! :)

Dear Mrs RR,

I have accepted your kind "Special invitation" and am sure to go through the colorful thread of "vaNNa vaNNa manidhargaL" :)

I am thinking of locating one or two homes which are run down in agraharams near kumbakonam and restore them . I would like to make them heritage home for home

stay. It should be complete with decent decor old style thinnai , hall and half lit kitchen . Anyone prepared to offer some ideas on how it should look like?. Many with

nostalgia for the past can live there for temporary stay.You know lot of people look for such homestays when they go for marriages and temple visits to kumbakonam .

There are hardly any such places.Similarly brahmin cuisine in such places are hard to find.

3. As shared earlier we need to support couples to have atleast 3 kids if we have to survive extinction. The rich people have to support the poor and lower middle class to ensure that the kids have proper education

It goes without saying that the support mechanism should be "institutionalised". No one can take for granted that individual contributions would continue undiminished for the long span of 20 years that would be required to ensure that poor and lower middle class kids get good and proper education.

Human beings are very whimsical. It does not take much even for a very benign benefactor to have temporary blips of bad temperament and renegade on promises. We even have the cases of Rajas and Maharajas taking back the land bestowed upon their subjects and taking it back and also driving out the poor subjects out of the country.

So how do you institutionalise the support?

There is something known as "tyranny of elitism" which is imposing the view of an elitist or a group of elitists on a group of beings though the view of the group is at variance with the view of the elitists. We had the example of "award Wapsi gang" in the very recent past, trying to push their view down the throats of the rest of the country.

Citing exceptions to the norms cannot be an answer to the problem. How many of your friends, acquaintances, relatives, groupies etc. became a VP at the age of 33 years? Did you yourself become a VP at 33 years of age? Is the example you are sharing an "exception to the rule" or is it the rule itself?

When we talk about a community we take the "average or mean" of the community as a reference point, not the super stars or super failures. If you take the first 10 names that crop up in your mind, how many successful VPs were there by the time they were 33?

At least I am not insisting that they should take up the job before marriage. But why are you insisting that the girls should be happy with a one year PG diploma? Why not a full fledged post graduation course and/or even doctoral thesis if they have inclination and stuff to do it?

I gave this example of a young achiever only to reiterate a point that higher education need not be a panacea..One can raise the career ladder if you join the job market early on at a young age (20/21 years)

We should also delink education from marriage...Girls can do post doctoral after marriage too AFAIK & there are many examples one can quote

I am thinking of locating one or two homes which are run down in agraharams near kumbakonam and restore them . I would like to make them heritage home for home

stay. It should be complete with decent decor old style thinnai , hall and half lit kitchen . Anyone prepared to offer some ideas on how it should look like?. Many with

nostalgia for the past can live there for temporary stay.You know lot of people look for such homestays when they go for marriages and temple visits to kumbakonam .

There are hardly any such places.Similarly brahmin cuisine in such places are hard to find.

Retain the facade & layout of the house..You can modernize the kitchen & toilets...Can put tiles on the floors..You can construct some almirahs/wardrobes...Retain the swing(Oonjal)...Retain the stone for grinding sandal...Keep the puja in kitchen as is the tradition..Retain the mutram & thaazhvarams

I gave this example of a young achiever only to reiterate a point that higher education need not be a panacea..One can raise the career ladder if you join the job market early on at a young age (20/21 years)

We should also delink education from marriage...Girls can do post doctoral after marriage too AFAIK & there are many examples one can quote

My question still stands. Are you suggesting it is the "norm" that we can expect most of the TBs to achieve it?

My personal view it is an "exception". Your answer would help me gauge the degree of my non-alignment with the rest of the TB society on this issue.

Last edited:
My question still stands. Are you suggesting it is the "norm" that we can expect most of the TBs to achieve it?

Focusing on soft skills-communication, people management, leadership skills will take you places as far as TB's is concerned..Do not delay the job...The more you delay you will end up as a lecturer (I am not belittling) and not a Manager

I was roaming around Kumbakonam Last week to have a dip in Mahamaham Tank My trip covered the following - Madurai Viralimalai Temple Tirukovilur Thiruvannamalai Vellore Tirukovilur Kumbakonam Papanasam Tirukarugavur Punnainallur Mariamman and back to Madurai by Road in 5 days

I stayed in Kuladeepa Mangalam Agraharam for 2 days Our Host is the only brahamin family living here The Lady told me when she moved in here after her marriage there were 60 families Now only 4 families have retained their houses and the rest have sold them and not one of the buyer is a brahmin Only this family lives here the other brahmin houses are kept under Lock and key This is really a very huge house completly remodelled retaing the original structre in tact. He is the post master on a consolidated salary of Rs.10000 This place is about 1 KM away from Gnananda Thapovanam which is on the Tirkovilur By Pass He has every gadgets for comfort But None of his children would opt to live here after him The days of this Agraharam is Numbered!

In contrast you see another Agrharam near Tenkasi - Sundarapandiapuram It is vibrant with life - It comes into glory during the annual Festival - during Tamil month தை

You can see that in the link of the file photos from my album - I was there again 2015 It is still the same - few old people have died .

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...5873&authkey=Gv1sRgCNKYnL-38qiN6QE&feat=email

This is the house where we stay in SPpuram File Photo 2008

https://picasaweb.google.com/111000...key=Gv1sRgCIeb_5u6uYTMrAE#5706967974880697666

I visited Ganapathy Agrharan and Eechngudi near Kumbakonam but nothing like SP Puram near Tenkasi

In Kumbakonam I got a fee CD from Sankaramadam titled Agraharam

This you can see in the web www.agraharam.co.in This is not yet ready but will be avcailable soon

You can contact Gurukrupa Productions Chennai 94443 85156 Email [email protected]

This project is with the blessing and guidance of Kamakotipeedam

முதல் பகுதியாக கும்பகாேணம் திருச்சி பாலக்காடு கல்பாத்தி பாேன்ற அக்ரஹார தகவல்கள் CDயாக வெளியிட்டடுள்ளாேம் தேபைடுவாேருக்கு இலவசமாக வழங்கப்படுகிறது

Last edited:
Thanks JJ ji . I found the photos interesting.

I have some links to kumbakonam. My father belonged to a village nearby.

I had declared that as my hometown for LTC purposes in office.

I religiously visited the place every two years until my retirement.

But I do make it a point to go there for marriages of relatives who happen to be in tamilnadu.

Just to maintain links, I thought of taking up a renovation project there .

It will give some work to the locals there.

It will also occupy some of my idle hours.

Retain the facade & layout of the house..You can modernize the kitchen & toilets...Can put tiles on the floors..You can construct some almirahs/wardrobes...Retain the swing(Oonjal)...Retain the stone for grinding sandal...Keep the puja in kitchen as is the tradition..Retain the mutram & thaazhvarams
Thanks for suggestions.

First let me collect land to get started.

Focusing on soft skills-communication, people management, leadership skills will take you places as far as TB's is concerned..Do not delay the job...The more you delay you will end up as a lecturer (I am not belittling) and not a Manager
If TB boys develop these soft skills , they might become good marriage material and TB girls will opt for them.lol

Vganeji

You are doing fine with your posts.

Now apply your mind and how to motivate TB girls in chennai to opt for Delhi ,mumbai boys.

Their imagination for ideal boys does not go beyond bangalore and US as alternative to that.

It is not TB culture or anything that attracts but cold blooded calculation of investment and returns and going where it pays most to go..Boys are only vehicles for

serving their objectives.

Thanks JJ ji . I found the photos interesting.

These details are equally interesting! No one has sold their house till date No house is under lock and key There are 2 temples one Rajagopalaswamy temple - The other a Sivan Koil which is a private temple and managed by the family of the popular doctor of Vannarpet in Tirunelveli Dr. Sivaramakrishnan and no Brahmotsavam but daily Pujas are done - Rajagopalaswamy is maintained by a trust The Pictures were taken during Brahmotsavam There is no Iyengar in and around this place -; The temple follows Vaishnava sampradayam strictly The priest is an iyer (Iyengar is not available on daily basis) and during Brahmotsavam some Iyengar priest are imported from Tenkasi or Tirunelveli Men have to remove their shirts to enter the Arthamandapam ! The Generation Next is spread all over the Globe and most of them holiday here during Brahmtsavan! Nobody cooks in their house during those 10 days A community Kitchen is set up in the Sankaramutt and manged by caterers from Tenkasi! The expenses managed by contribution from each household - Usually this happen to be an exclusive Brahmin affair The others donot donot participate ! The entire affair is strictly confined to the Agraharam except the Theppam which is done in the waterbody outside the Agraharam When I go to this place I am a guest provided with Bath attached AC room with running hot water! My sisters daughter is married to a boy from this village She is in Noida after retiring from M of External affairs!

Last edited:
The topic is, அரைத்து அரைத்து பிளித்துப்போன மாவு!

Our TB community has changed beyond recognition during my life span of 75 years itself. In those olden days the TB men sported a kudumi (at least many of them) wore Pancha Kaccham and angavastram only and reluctantly used to wear a loose white shirt of special type which I don't see at all nowadays. They could do sandhyaavandanam thrice daily, without much difficulty because brahmins enjoyed society's respect and if necessary maadhyaahnikam could be performed in the office itself ( for those who lived away from office and could not go home during lunch interval, etc. Food for the noon used to be sent through brahmin men (no other caste) to such office people. In old Travancore state, in which I was born and spent my first ten years, offices and schools used to allow brahmin men to come late on Amaavaasya and other Tarpanam days and we boys were allowed to go to the local temple for eating the meals in the morning specially for brahmin boys in the local Subrahmanyaswamy Temple of great repute. These are only a few sample statements to show the changes that have come on our community as a whole.

TB females were, in effect, second class humans as described in our various Dharmasastras and as also exemplified by the controversial Gita verse which includes women in the paapayoni category. Education for girls was, at best, what their male elders like father, paternal & maternal uncles, or other educated males elder to them in the joint family, deigned fit to teach them at home and school education was taboo for brahmin girls! Females were also prohibited from even reading the scriptures or learning them. They were considered unfit to perform any religious rite by themselves, barring certain select few (like Rishi Panchami, Arasapradakshinam on amaasomavaarams, Sraaddham for the deceased husband under special circumstances, etc.)

You can see how radically and irreversibly our TB community has changed! We now are catching firm hold of the elephant's tail of which a few யானைவால் ரோமம் (hairs — like performing grandiose upanayanams to our boys and just forgetting everything else on the danduneer on the next day itself, youth getting nostalgic home coming by catching hold of Sandhyaavandanam, sometimes Tarpanam, temple-going, etc.) are firmly gripped but the elephant itself has gone back to its forest! Our girls are all very highly educated and are beating our boys in getting lucrative jobs and more lucrative salaries etc. In fact most IT households are seen to be headed by the young wife rather than by the husband who, today, is at best a factotum who is not abused if the wife is cultured and the husband earns well enough to compete with the wife's income!

When our community has gone so utterly and unrecognisably different from what it was even 70 years ago, it is rank foolishness to think of bringing about 'social control' of any type whatsoever. IC & IR marriages are here to stay and most of our true Tamil Brahmin culture of the past has become dead as a Dodo. We have no way other than getting on with life. If Tamil Brahmin culture or numbers is to become extinct it shall happen. Trying to resurrect interred dead (bodies) practices will look horrendous and abominable, besides being highly unsuitable for the times.

The topic is, அரைத்து அரைத்து பிளித்துப்போன மாவு!

Our TB community has changed beyond recognition during my life span of 75 years itself. In those olden days the TB men sported a kudumi (at least many of them) wore Pancha Kaccham and angavastram only and reluctantly used to wear a loose white shirt of special type which I don't see at all nowadays. They could do sandhyaavandanam thrice daily, without much difficulty because brahmins enjoyed society's respect and if necessary maadhyaahnikam could be performed in the office itself ( for those who lived away from office and could not go home during lunch interval, etc. Food for the noon used to be sent through brahmin men (no other caste) to such office people. In old Travancore state, in which I was born and spent my first ten years, offices and schools used to allow brahmin men to come late on Amaavaasya and other Tarpanam days and we boys were allowed to go to the local temple for eating the meals in the morning specially for brahmin boys in the local Subrahmanyaswamy Temple of great repute. These are only a few sample statements to show the changes that have come on our community as a whole.

TB females were, in effect, second class humans as described in our various Dharmasastras and as also exemplified by the controversial Gita verse which includes women in the paapayoni category. Education for girls was, at best, what their male elders like father, paternal & maternal uncles, or other educated males elder to them in the joint family, deigned fit to teach them at home and school education was taboo for brahmin girls! Females were also prohibited from even reading the scriptures or learning them. They were considered unfit to perform any religious rite by themselves, barring certain select few (like Rishi Panchami, Arasapradakshinam on amaasomavaarams, Sraaddham for the deceased husband under special circumstances, etc.)

You can see how radically and irreversibly our TB community has changed! We now are catching firm hold of the elephant's tail of which a few யானைவால் ரோமம் (hairs — like performing grandiose upanayanams to our boys and just forgetting everything else on the danduneer on the next day itself, youth getting nostalgic home coming by catching hold of Sandhyaavandanam, sometimes Tarpanam, temple-going, etc.) are firmly gripped but the elephant itself has gone back to its forest! Our girls are all very highly educated and are beating our boys in getting lucrative jobs and more lucrative salaries etc. In fact most IT households are seen to be headed by the young wife rather than by the husband who, today, is at best a factotum who is not abused if the wife is cultured and the husband earns well enough to compete with the wife's income!

When our community has gone so utterly and unrecognisably different from what it was even 70 years ago, it is rank foolishness to think of bringing about 'social control' of any type whatsoever. IC & IR marriages are here to stay and most of our true Tamil Brahmin culture of the past has become dead as a Dodo. We have no way other than getting on with life. If Tamil Brahmin culture or numbers is to become extinct it shall happen. Trying to resurrect interred dead (bodies) practices will look horrendous and abominable, besides being highly unsuitable for the times.

True the Brahmin culture is dead - But like காலி பெருங்காய டப்பா the smell lingers on You still love தயிர் சாதம் with மாவடு மாகாணி கழங்கு or வே்ப்பல கட்டி! don't you? Pasta with மாகாணி is great!

Come on Sangomji...

We all know that circumstances are difficult...

We all know that IC & IR marriages are hitting at our roots..

We all know that in dress or behavior or appearance we are unable to display true Brahmin traits...

But are we going to call quits and run away

No way!

We have to fight to the finish! We need to have perseverance! We need to have indomitable spirit to protect Brahminism come what may!

We need youngsters with that never say die spirit!

If the Jews can do it why not the TB's! We will overcome it one day Sir!!

True the Brahmin culture is dead - But like காலி பெருங்காய டப்பா the smell lingers on You still love தயிர் சாதம் with மாவடு மாகாணி கழங்கு or வே்ப்பல கட்டி! don't you? Pasta with மாகாணி is great!

That does not mean that our brahmin culture comprised only of தயிர் சாதம் with மாவடு மாகாணி கழங்கு or வே்ப்பல கட்டி. BTB, I do not like மாகாணி கழங்கு at all!

That does not mean that our brahmin culture comprised only of தயிர் சாதம் with மாவடு மாகாணி கழங்கு or வே்ப்பல கட்டி. BTB, I do not like மாகாணி கழங்கு at all!

Again True Brahmin culture is more than தயிர் சாதம் - மாவடு - மாகாணி - வேப்பல கட்டி - It is also true these are only still lingering other qualities are dead or in death bed.

Today I Spoke to one person who is involved in Match Making facilities for TBs in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka and he told that for 250 males only 25-30 Females horoscopes come for match making and that is the reality the TBs are facing and women are either delaying marriage as they are more interested in their Career or getting married to boys of other Caste or Religion or Interested in only those alliance where their studies and Career are taken care of .So in essence no women even if she gets married would like her husband to be like a traditional TB . This is the reality and there can be some exceptions here and there . In current context only retired couples who are fairly financially secure can start leading traditional TB lives ( i.e do daily Sandhya Vandanam , Panchayatana Puja , Gayathri Japa , Chanting Vedas etc etc ) and I see some groups have strated in Chennai for the same and they are very serious in the same and I see a good number of retired people , people due to retire in those groups . What sort of effect these gropus will have on the next generation of TBs I do not know but the reality is that current young TBs cant really lead a TB life like the one led by the previous generation . There can be exceptions to this rule but in majority many cant really follow a traditional TB life especially where both the couples are working .It is not a question of being pessimistic or optimistic but being realistic . So if somebody wants to preseve the TB life they must first lead it in their own life( as I said previously many groups have started doing the same ) Sacrificing a lot in the process and if this motivates others to follow well and good .I do not see any other solution to the same .

Sri Vgane,

I assume you are younger to most active members here if not in age but in your spirit !

The best way to preserve a culture is by following the culture.

It is not possible to influence the so called younger generation if the current generation is superstitious (e.g., over focus on astrology and Vaastu) , relatively clueless about our knowledge scriptures or worse yet read and propagate wrong ideas (e.g., Post #65 , reference to B. Gita verse 32 of Chapter 9) and duplicitous (aping the west for uncontrolled desires while condemning it).

The best approach to solution is to educate oneself with the significance of cultural activities. When one understands the reason ("why"), the "what" (the culture) is easy to follow even for the next generation.

There are few systemic issues.

1. The modern society has turned many optional items in life into necessities. A cell phone or smart phone with internet access , just in a decade, has become a necessity for most middle class people worldwide.

This change implies the need for two incomes. Poor people have been dealing with need for two incomes for many generations. But this need in middle class families mean that one cannot have more than a child or two.

2. Capitalistic societies survive and exploit by appealing to the insecurities of the public. The age which people marry has been going up.

3. Those that are born since 1980s for most part are clueless about significance of many of the cultural aspects. They follow the culture blindly at best and may go to temples in large measure due to superstitions and arising out of own insecurities.

4. We have pseudo intellectuals propagating wrong ideas about our scriptures having themselves never been trained properly.

5. Adharma is the way of life today in many communities- corruption, terminating female fetuses due to feudal mindsets, greedy doctors who routinely perform C-section which limits number of child birth that is possible in a family.

The culture may or may not be preservable. But what is possible is to begin to educate oneself from qualified teachers and live life of Dharma.

Then leave the rest to Isvara!

Last edited:
Following culture even after understanding 'why' or"what' of that culture is a persons personal choice.

If it meets the requirement of modern living and eases it , some might follow.

Not all cultural aspects are dharmic. They are as many adharmic thoughts which have been religeously getting passed on to the next generation

Many young choose to reject these in toto.

Changes are inevitable . If some basic values like honesty , respect for other human beings , gender equality are drilled inrto people it is good enough.

Fads like vegetarianism , sporting caste signs, performing rituals in sanskrit touching nose and ears , threads are unnecessary to signify one is a brahmin.

These are going towards extinction for the good of brahmin community.No tears need to be shed for that

1)Following culture even after understanding 'why' or"what' of that culture is a persons personal choice. If it meets the requirement of modern living and eases it , some might follow.

2)Not all cultural aspects are dharmic. They are as many adharmic thoughts which have been religeously getting passed on to the next generation Many young choose to reject these in toto.

3)Changes are inevitable . If some basic values like honesty , respect for other human beings , gender equality are drilled inrto people it is good enough.

4)Fads like vegetarianism , sporting caste signs, performing rituals in sanskrit touching nose and ears , threads are unnecessary to signify one is a brahmin.

5)These are going towards extinction for the good of brahmin community.No tears need to be shed for that

Dear krish44,

1) The whys and whats are many. And many a time we do not strive to get answers. We just raise these questions and leave them hanging in the air. And sometimes we think we have got the answers with the first source (the post #65 and papayoni referred to in BG as quoted by sangomji and countered by by tks is just an example). How can something that is good be rejected as useless for life?

2)Please list those cultural aspets that are adharmic--at least a few of them. We can discuss them.

3)Honesty is there everywhere. So we may leave it. We can not say the same about respect for other humans or gender equality. When the dalits of Kilvenmony village were burnt alive (mostly children and women along with males) where was this respect for other human beings hiding? Not a single respectable political leader raised any voice about this. The culprits, after years of trial in the court, came out free. There was not a single brahmin involved in that mindless violence even though there were brahmin landlords too living in that area and they were also victims of the nascent left activism. Similarly when the tribal women of Vachati were raped (again including the children there) by a gang of Govt. Officials/police personnel (not a single brahmin in that gang) there was no big revolution in the state, there were no elites who were guillotined a la French Revolution. Many of the accused retired from service in course of time even as the trial was going on and died without punishment. I can quote many such instances. And gender equality. Yes there are far more number of females in the NB communities who are feeling suffocated and without a voice than in the brahmin community. So an IC marriage may actually be landing our girls in a horrible island jail. The point is there is nothing to choose in a IC or IR marriage that is not there in a BB marriage. So this advice is hollow.

4) Vegetarianism is not a fad. It comes from generations of concious avoidance of meat. And there are strong reasons for that. To call it just a fad is ignorance. Similarly caste signs. I wear whatever I want as long as I understand what I am doing. It should not bother other human beings as long as I do not insist that others should also wear it. It is not a "caste mark" in the first place. You have borrowed that word from the Imperialists who wanted to rule us. You remain still a slave to use their words. Same is the case with performing rituals. It is not for someone who does not want to perform them to come and teach others who are performing them. Lot of energy can be saved by keeping your opinion on this to yourself than coming out with abusive terms. Do you wash your hands before you take your food? A cockroach may laugh at you for doing that. LOL. Who is right? The cockroach or you?

5) I understand your earnest wishes. They may not however come true because there is something called Universal good and it knows what is ok and what is not.

I am from the southern district of Tirunelveli. I do not beat around the bushes. I give it straight. Sometimes it may sound brutal. Please excuse me. I respect your rights. I am only not able to agree with you.

Last edited:
Come on Sangomji...

We all know that circumstances are difficult...

We all know that IC & IR marriages are hitting at our roots..

We all know that in dress or behavior or appearance we are unable to display true Brahmin traits...

But are we going to call quits and run away

No way!

We have to fight to the finish! We need to have perseverance! We need to have indomitable spirit to protect Brahminism come what may!

We need youngsters with that never say die spirit!

If the Jews can do it why not the TB's! We will overcome it one day Sir!!

Shri Ganeshji,

It is not only in dress, behaviour or appearance that we have become changed so much as to be incapable of displaying the old brahmin traits, but over the whole lot of acts concerning life. Smt. JJ had written yesterday about VeppilakkaTTi, Thayir Saadam, MaahaaNikkizhangu VaDAm, etc.; but today hardly any of our newgen girls/women will be able to prepare VeppilakkaTTi by pounding the ingredients in an "ural" (உரல்‍). The problem with Maahaanikkizhangu is also not very different. The result is that almost the entire market supply of these two items is from NB manufacturing units, just like kaimurukku, athirasam, boLi and many other items. Thayir Saadam in most vegetarian hotels which are well-known for this dish, have NBs from Tamil Nadu for preparing the item; not any TBs!

How do you propose to rectify this incapacity? By compulsory training to our young women or compelling our boys to learn such skills? (I recently came to know that a poor TB Vaadhyaar in Tirunelveli area is selling Vepppilakkatti of very good quality and certain other typical items also but the items are made in a shed in his compound, by employing NB women and men; no brahmin came forward to do such work, it seems. The Vaadhyaar markets his products to only his select clientele, without any brandname or packaging so that government troubles are avoided!

When the conditions are such (as exist today) what is the great Tamil Brahmin culture or sacredness or knowledge or whatever, that we will be protecting and preserving? First thing, the community should stop educating our girls beyond school (SSLC); is that possible? Think realistically and you will realize that not only TB culture but the whole brahmin culture of India is likely to get dissolved in the international melting pot of myriad cultures and beliefs and ways of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back