• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to arrest the slide in TB numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOW this statistic explains why the general population is allergic to Brahman community.

They appear to be less in number but excel when it comes to the % in any field whatsoever!

So far the westerners have done a much better job in espousing capitalism and materialism than brahmins have done in spreading spirituality. Spirituality is what is our forte. Brahmins have not done much even within the country.

Talking of slide in TB numbers , for the first time someone in facebook has come out with actual numbers of brahmins inall states in india and the position and power

they hold.A group of brahmins worked on this report

Some excerpts

Brahmin numbers

! UP -2crores

2 Bihar-98 lakhs

3.MP-42 lakhs

4 Gujarat-60 lakhs

5. maharashtra-45 lakhs

6.karnataka-45 lakhs

7. A.P- 24 lakhs

8.Kerala-12lakhs

9. tamilnadu-30lakhs

10-north east -negligible

11. odisha-37 lakhs

12 JandK 2to 4 lakhs left state

Maximum brahmins are in UP and minimum in sikkim

Maximum brahmins employed in west bengal govt.

Max. percentage brahmin population in state -uttarkhand with 20%

Maxm literate brahmins are in kerala and himachal.

Maxm no of produced CM s is rajasthan .

Maxm no of educated brahmins are in UP

All this talk of brahmins dwindling and vanishing is all gas.

Courtesy -facebook Jegan Ptk Ramanujadasan and parameswaran PG

-

These numbers may represent current nos..It does not show how much we were...I remember in one of the ******* meeting in 1980's TB's numbers in TN were put at 40 lacs..That we have reduced by 25% in the last 35 years is a matter of concern!!

Last edited:
I checked up two relating to population,It is 4% plus for tamilnadu and about 10% for UP. both are plausible.I was taking samples. Population as per wikipedia 2011 census

The issue is "Are brahmin numbers sliding down" . May be no

Last edited:
I checked up two relating to population,It is 4% plus for tamilnadu and about 10% for UP. both are plausible.I was taking samples. Population as per wikipedia 2011 census.

As far as loksabha, rajysabha % are concerned, it might be numbers not % .

I do not like to impute motives.

Are brahmins so entrenched still in govt and business. ?

Krishji,

Population may be OK but none of the others...Now you also agree that Lok sabha numbers are not % but sheers numbers...With 50% reservations & FC's include Punjabis, Banias,Rajputs and Kayasthas, the Brahmin pie in education and employment will be max 10 to 15% at best...That is why I said it is circulated by anti Brahmin group with a Brahmin tag to camouflage the intentions...I think we should remove the post as some of us may think that all is good in the community while reality is otherwise..In Chandigarh where I lived for 10 years Brahmins used to work as guards & servants..This data is suspect 100%

Can I expect this from you

Krishji,

Population may be OK but none of the others...Now you also agree that Lok sabha numbers are not % but sheers numbers...With 50% reservations & FC's include Punjabis, Banias,Rajputs and Kayasthas, the Brahmin pie in education and employment will be max 10 to 15% at best...That is why I said it is circulated by anti Brahmin group with a Brahmin tag to camouflage the intentions...I think we should remove the post as some of us may think that all is good in the community while reality is otherwise..In Chandigarh where I lived for 10 years Brahmins used to work as guards & servants..This data is suspect 100%

Can I expect this from you
hi

i used to work in chandigarh too...i know many punjabi brahmins are doing all kinds od jobs.....even sharma dhabba...

so in punjab ...its nothing new....

Dear vgneji ,
I have edited my posts.

Thanks for yr suggestion.

Thank you so much Krishji..I have edited my comments in post 29...As far as numbers are concerned we are dwindling in TN because of a divisive agenda followed by Dravidian parties!!

Dear Shri Vgane,

I know you and many others are alarmed at the rate TB culture is diminishing. I think it is time to have a logical and pragmatic approach. Logical because we cannot totally abandon our culture , pragmatic because we need to move in accordance with times in certain aspects.

We cannot insist on maintaining everything in its pristine form. There should be honing also. The globe is becoming a science and technology driven place. We need to understand that the drivers of these such as the western powers would never give up this way of progress. They genuinely believe in it. The influence of such powers being strong and widespread let us be realistic about the future course of path for the TB community.

I would siuggest the following:

1. We need to stop being casteist We need to truly believe in our philosophy that everybody is inherently divine and stop looking down upon other castes

2.We need to adopt a broader outlook than the varna system which is separating people according to their levels of spirituality.
The finer divisions which the varna system used could give way to just two divisions being spiritual and materialistic considering the current scenario with no presumptions of superiority or inferiority.

3. No birth based spirituality. Spirituality should be seen as something which at least half of the population can imbibe naturally. We need to embrace all those who are inclined to follow spiritual values. The remaining in my belief have a different dna and at best will comply only in behaviour.

4. Initiatives should be undertaken to spread awareness of spirituality and the atmosphere to practice it. TBs can play a major role in this regard given their background.

5. All those who are embraced under the spiritual groups should have the same privileges granted to brahmins and should be considered as one community.

By doing the above and may be more which other members may suggest we can be true to the values and yet be practical.

Sravnaji,

Your intention are noble...But it may not get support even from NB groups as the caste system is so well entrenched at the personal level! Most of the NB's may not be interested in that! Even if they are interested in spiritual activities they do not want a Brahmin tag!!

Thank you so much Krishji..I have edited my comments in post 29...As far as numbers are concerned we are dwindling in TN because of a divisive agenda followed by Dravidian parties!!
Is there someway brahmins get included in dravidian parties political discourse?

Bjp can aid the process of acceptance of brahmins in dravidian community.

This isolation of brahmins is not there in any other state in india.

An ideology which started with equality of all castes has ended up as a movement of hatred and isolation of brahmin community by the dravidian political class.The

social movement of dravidians was an attempt to set right the caste prejudice and marginalisation of other socially backward caste.

The solution for dravidians is to be more inclusive and accept the brahmins as an essential part of their own existence.Their brains and hard work are being utilised by

other states, countries of west. They can contribute to culture such as music ,theatre and films.

Politicians have debased the dravidian agenda for enrichment of their own clan .

Brahmins can also contribute to tamil nationalism and have some feelings for tamils in eelam , singapore and malaysia , These are looking for support for

maintaining their identity in their countries.It is true that brahmins are in small numbers there. But unless brahmins consider themselves as tamils and have some

feelings for tamil language and literature and not treat sanskrit as their tongue alone since some scriptures are in that language.All this will aid in their better

acceptance in tamil community in tamil nadu.

Last edited:
Is there someway brahmins get included in dravidian parties political discourse?

Bjp can aid the process of acceptance of brahmins in dravidian community.

This isolation of brahmins is not there in any other state in india.

An ideology which started with equality of all castes has ended up as a movement of hatred and isolation of brahmin community by the dravidian political class.The

social movement of dravidians was an attempt to set right the caste prejudice and marginalisation of other socially backward caste.

The solution for dravidians is to be more inclusive and accept the brahmins as an essential part of their own existence.Their brains and hard work are being utilised by

other states, countries of west. They can contribute to culture such as music ,theatre and films.

Politicians have debased the dravidian agenda for enrichment of their own clan .

Brahmins can also contribute to tamil nationalism and have some feelings for tamils in eelam , singapore and malaysia , These are looking for support for

maintaining their identity in their countries.It is true that brahmins are in small numbers there. But unless brahmins consider themselves as tamils and have some

feelings for tamil language and literature and not treat sanskrit as their tongue alone since some scriptures are in that language.All this will aid in their better

JJ Amma is Brahmin by birth !

8.We need to protect our Agraharams that have lost the sheen & fallen prey to Brahmin migration..We need to buy atleast 1 house in our Agraharam and nurture it..If possible let us modernize the houses with good facilities ..We should take our children & grand children to our Agraharams..Like TKSji said we need to make them eat on Banyan leaf, participate in Brahmin functions & learn slokas

What exactly is your expectation from the life of agraharam? Have you had the experience of living in agraharam or have you been narrated first hand account of a life in agraharam?

I do not have any experience of life in agraharam. But Sri Kunjuppu (with whose world views I have the least possible agreement) in his various posts in this forum in the past gave glimpses of life in agraharam. It did not strike to me as very appealing.

I would like to have a good feedback on the life in agraharam. In case you can give me links to write-ups, I would be only too glad.

But unless brahmins consider themselves as tamils and have some

Why is it that Urdu speaking Muslims are given preference by DMK and its cohorts and not Tamil speaking Brahmins..It is part of Dravidian supremacy which are supported by Telugu speaking upper caste NB people (who are highly caste conscious to the core) who are declared as OBC as quid pro quo! Now you know where the support for DMK comes from?? The atmosphere is vitiated due to this nexus!!

It will not be prudent on our part to support Tamil nationalism as we will go nowhere with that! Without a separatist tag we can champion Tamil and we are good at that!!

8.We need to protect our Agraharams that have lost the sheen & fallen prey to Brahmin migration..We need to buy atleast 1 house in our Agraharam and nurture it..If possible let us modernize the houses with good facilities ..We should take our children & grand children to our Agraharams..Like TKSji said we need to make them eat on Banyan leaf, participate in Brahmin functions & learn slokas ........
Dear Ganesh,

Agraharam life will never be the same, if you modernize the houses with good facilities. Children and grandchildren make very

short visits to the parents and they will not like the agrahAram life! I have 'enjoyed' agrahAram life soon after my wedding and

had a tough time following their protocols! I have written my experiences, in our forum, long back. :)

BTW, I think you meant banana leaf and NOT banyan leaf! :D

9. We need to get our girls married by 22/23 years and boys by 25/27 years

Are you being realistic here?

A child should have completed 5 years 10 months before being admitted to first standard in most states, let us take it as 6 years.

So a young man or a young woman would be 16 years by the time he/she completes 10th standard... would be 18 years by the time he/she completes plus 2 education and would be 21 by the time he/she completes a basic degree course.

So a girl can accomplish at best a graduation by the time she is 22/23 years as you want. Even a basic teacher's training of B. Ed would make her age to be approx 25 years.

The best this age requirement for marriage would enable them to be managing clerical tables in most organisations and departments. Would you be happy with this..?

Have you wondered why a predonimant section of TB population belong to this run of the mill milleu of clerks and glorified clerks as Section Officers etc.? It is because most of parents did the same to us. They sure did the best what they thought is the best for us, but as later life events proved, it is just not enough.

Because of massive expansion in IT, banking and insurance sector, many reached higher positions in their career like officers, managers, divisional managers, and even general managers. But that scope has dwindled quite a lot.

As far as boys are concerned, by the time they are 25/27, they would have a basic engineering or medical degree certificate. Would that be enough?

How many successful cases of higher education achievements, post marriage, have you come across as against people abandoning their education because of burden of family responsibility?

In the last discussions on the state of TB community "A Tamil Brahmin dilemma" started by Shri Krish44 we just saw the TB numbers..On a sample of 257 marriages in the last 10 years 26.1% are marrying IC & IR ..More than every forth guy is marrying outside the community (we had left out Iyer/Iyengar/Madhwa/Telugu Brahmin/Namboodiri inter mixing out of purview )

TKS did give some wonderful suggestions in his post....But the thread got diluted & as usual the discussions went astray...In order to get a wider response & bring back focus I am starting a separate thread..

On a personal one to one a member gave some revolutionary ideas which I would like the member to share himself

A few that I have thought are summarized below:

Where?

1. The most vulnerable areas in terms of culture dilution, IC & IR are outside TN especially, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Delhi …The community is in large number but is not cohesive and is directionless…It is a free for all and this has to be arrested.

2. We need to protect our turf in TN too be it Chennai, Trichy, Kumbakonam or Madurai

How?

We need to imbibe our Brahmin culture, traditions and customs from the age of 8. Let us inculcate study of Tamil & Sanskrit for our youngsters

2. Let us study in colleges that do not bear an iota of ill will towards Brahmins and instead respect our culture & traditions..If they are private colleges so be it..Let us spend our money in PSBB's & Sastra's rather than Don bosco's

3.. As shared earlier we need to support couples to have atleast 3 kids if we have to survive extinction. The rich people have to support the poor and lower middle class to ensure that the kids have proper education

4. Those couples without kids should adopt those with more than 3 kids

5. Childless TB couples should go in for IVF or other forms including surrogacy

6. With the spread of information at lightning speed we need to coach and guide our adolescents and young adult brethren so that they do not sway on wrong path. To be facilitated by mentors

7. In order to curtail the IC & IR marriages which have come as a death knell to our community we need to identify our community members from the age of 16 /18 years to mould them as responsible community members. We can classify their needs as traditional, modern & liberal and based on that we can create opportunities for dating. This will ensure that our members do not cross the community borders & step into alien tradition or culture. This will be facilitated by seniors who will guide them till they shoulder the responsibility of marriage

8.We need to protect our Agraharams that have lost the sheen & fallen prey to Brahmin migration..We need to buy atleast 1 house in our Agraharam and nurture it..If possible let us modernize the houses with good facilities ..We should take our children & grand children to our Agraharams..Like TKSji said we need to make them eat on Banyan leaf, participate in Brahmin functions & learn slokas

9. We need to get our girls married by 22/23 years and boys by 25/27 years

10. Our target has to be youth in all our actions who have to be guided to successful familyhood & parenthood

When?

Rightaway..Let us not brook any delay in this

I am giving a contra point to each of the points enumerated by you. My idea is NOT to oppose your views, but to present the other side of the coin and for causing brain-storming to come up with a suitable solution.

JJ Amma is Brahmin by birth !

Yes only by Birth..Not giving chances to fellow Brahmins...She does not want to be in company of Brahmins as she feels it is a electoral handicap..There were 2 dozen Brahmin MLA's who stood and won in '91 in Amma's party..Due to strong anti B sentiment she is forced to clip the powers of B's...There is just one Rajya Sabha MP who is not in good terms with her currently (Maitreyan) and 1 MLA who is unknown beyond her constituency!

Dear Ganesh,

Agraharam life will never be the same, if you modernize the houses with good facilities. Children and grandchildren make very

short visits to the parents and they will not like the agrahAram life! I have 'enjoyed' agrahAram life soon after my wedding and

had a tough time following their protocols! I have written my experiences, in our forum, long back. :)

BTW, I think you meant banana leaf and NOT banyan leaf! :D

Dear Raji Madam,

I am not saying we should stay in Agraharam permanently but let us not loose the umbilical chord with the communities that nurtured our forefathers! I have seen youngsters staying in renovated houses in agraharams ..They like the fresh breeze, unpolluted air, Banana leaf sappadu..Also they can hop onto internet whenever required as wifi connectivity is available..What protocols..You decide the protocol as there is no one to order you! We can come during village festivals, summer holidays etc

I am giving a contra point to each of the points enumerated by you. My idea is NOT to oppose your views, but to present the other side of the coin and for causing brain-storming to come up with a suitable solution.

No problems Sir...Welcome your constructive criticism!

Dear Ganesh,

My youngest B I L has settled in his ancestral home in a village near Madurai. UPS facility is not there and hence the power cuts

really trouble their life. After repeated requests from the family, he has fixed an over head tank and we get tap water in bathrooms.

Kitchen does not have a water tap!! Buckets of water have to be filled up for cooking and washing veg, rice etc. He is happy with this

kind of life where as his wife is not at all happy! She has to grin and bear it for the rest of her life; poor soul!

I am posting the experiences I had in that sweet home, written earlier, in the next post. Read and enjoy! :)

Are you being realistic here?

A child should have completed 5 years 10 months before being admitted to first standard in most states, let us take it as 6 years.

So a young man or a young woman would be 16 years by the time he/she completes 10th standard... would be 18 years by the time he/she completes plus 2 education and would be 21 by the time he/she completes a basic degree course.

So a girl can accomplish at best a graduation by the time she is 22/23 years as you want. Even a basic teacher's training of B. Ed would make her age to be approx 25 years.

The best this age requirement for marriage would enable them to be managing clerical tables in most organisations and departments. Would you be happy with this..?

Have you wondered why a predonimant section of TB population belong to this run of the mill milleu of clerks and glorified clerks as Section Officers etc.? It is because most of parents did the same to us. They sure did the best what they thought is the best for us, but as later life events proved, it is just not enough.

Because of massive expansion in IT, banking and insurance sector, many reached higher positions in their career like officers, managers, divisional managers, and even general managers. But that scope has dwindled quite a lot.

As far as boys are concerned, by the time they are 25/27, they would have a basic engineering or medical degree certificate. Would that be enough?

How many successful cases of higher education achievements, post marriage, have you come across as against people abandoning their education because of burden of family responsibility?

In my office there is a VP at the age of 33 years ..He was a Manager at the age of 26 years as he started going to work at the age of 20 as soon as he finished his BA...He is now more powerful that MBA's from IIM'S as he has more experience, has the requisite soft skills..Why do you feel that post graduation is the only salvation for our community...Even now many have an M.S or M.B.A by age of 24 years...2 to 3 years job is more than sufficient to start a family unless the guy is a dumb nincompoop

As far as Girls, they finish BE by the age of 21 or 22 years and they can do a 1 year PG diploma..If they do B.Sc they would have completed M.Sc.Why should they go for a job before marriage..Why are we insisting..Let us take our kids into confidence..As one of the members mentioned and shared his experience let us not push them to work!

We need to imbibe our Brahmin culture, traditions and customs from the age of 8. Let us inculcate study of Tamil & Sanskrit for our youngsters

I would like to take up this imbibing of Sanskrit language to the TB youngsters.

It is no Einstein's theory that mother is the first and most valuable teacher to a young toddler. We learn the most of our mother tongue, that too error free (grammatical and syntax) of our mother tongue from our mothers.

I am even prepared to wager that over 90% of us have not even bothered to read "IlakkaNam" of tamizh because we are so supremely confident of our sentence construction, their nuances, their idiomatic usage etc.

Now coming to the language of Sanskrit, we are almost like fish out of water.... the basic reason being that it was not our mothers who taught it and the second reason being that is sort of abandoned in daily usage. Yes, I am aware that a couple of villages in Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh have the whole population speaking and conversing in Sanskrit, but we do not find TBs there.

Whatever might have been great or grand about our ancestral culture, they just did not bother or thought a woman was not good enough to be given language skills in sanskrit and it has affected the future generations of brahmins a lot (not just TBs alone).

In this very site we find people copy pasting utter rubbish from internet sources about the purported meaning of slokas etc. believing them to be true. Sometimes good Samaritans like Sri Sangom take the trouble of giving the true and actual meaning but most people just ignore.

In one of your points you have stressed upon learning slokams etc. But what good is the recitation of slokam without knowing meaning?

I am prepared to bet Rs. 1000.00 that except Sri Sangom, Dr. Renuka, may be TKs and a couple more (totalling five in all) none of the rest of the participating members can even give word by word meaning of the first sloka of Bhagwad Gita.

So if sanskrit is an integral part of brahmin culture, much more hard work has to be done in this area... and not mere words or joining a crash course in Sanskrit like learning Sanskrit in 100 days or 3 months. It should be an integral part that women and young girls learn Sanskrit to revive it.

Stunts like joining online free sanskrit classes is just not going to work. I have come across tens of thousands of middle aged and old citizens joining such sanskrit classes. But sadly they have not taken the pain to make their wards learn that language.

What is the use of a retired 60 plus years person learning Sanskrit skills and dying within 5-10 years without passing on the knowledge to the next generation?

I strongly believe in youngsters marrying before 24-25 yrs. Education, career and married life are on different tracks.Education , career are continuing processes

marriage is hardly a hurdle. Most become more responsible after marriage.Only younsters need to make right choices of mates for marriage. Senior can help if the young

approach. Parents should enable free choice. At least they should not act negative and judgemental questioning choice of next generation.

மடி, ஆசாரம்!

அப்பாவின் மருத்துவத் தொழிலால், எங்கள் வீட்டில் அத்தனை மடி ஆசாரம் கிடையாது! தினம் இரு வேளை குளியல்;

இறை வழிபாடு போன்றவை உண்டே தவிர, ஈரத் துணியுடன், கொடியில் முந்தின நாள் துவைத்து உலர்த்திய 'மடி'யைக்

குச்சியால் எடுத்துச் செல்லுவது, போன்ற விஷயங்கள் தெரியாது. நான் 'வாக்குப் பட்ட' வீட்டிலோ எதிர்மறை. ஒரு டம்ளர்

தண்ணீரை பக்கத்தில் வைத்துக் கொண்டு, அதில் இடது கையை அடிக்கடி நனைத்துகொண்டேதான், 'சுய பரிமாறல்' நடக்கும்.

(அதே தண்ணிரை அவர்கள் குடிக்கும்போதுதான், எனக்கு என்னவோ செய்யும்!) ஊறுகாய் பாட்டில் ஸ்பூனைத் தண்ணிக் கையால்

தொட்டால், ஊறுகாய் கெட்டுப் போகுமோ என்று எனக்கு 'டென்ஷன்' ஏறும்! அவர்களின் பழக்க வழக்கம் தெரிந்துகொள்ளுமுன்,

நான் அடித்த லூட்டிகள் பற்பல! .....................

Welcome to read the continuation from post # 104 in this page of வண்ண வண்ண மனிதர்கள்!

and post # 111 in this page of வண்ண வண்ண மனிதர்கள்!

P.S: Special invitation to Narayan Sir! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back