• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How can we encourage our kids to go to temple more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you truly embrace science and logic in your debating style, and are truly committed to understanding truth without any agenda then you will discover that many of the claims you make are not supported by these very logical analysis and expressions of natural laws.

Dear Dr.tks:

I just disagree here.

Glad to know that you are "Neither a Theist nor a Atheist".

I am happy that you are not a Theist! That's the first step towards knowing the TRUTH...:)

Cheers.

:)

Dear Dr.tks:

I just disagree here.

Glad to know that you are "Neither a Theist nor a Atheist".

I am happy that you are not a Theist! That's the first step towards knowing the TRUTH...:)

Cheers.

:)

Since you say you know the first step towars TRUTH (capitalized) please provide a definition of what is TRUTH.

This is not a flippant question but a very profound one. I do not want an opinion but a convincing statement of what is Truth. In Sanskrit the word would be Sathyam. Please note that human beings all around have struggled to define this. So it is a very significant question.

Of all creations of the providence, only the human beings alone can be creative. An undeniable fact. In olden days, king ruled as dasan of god. He wanted the country to be proud of intelligent creative devoted citizens. The expectant mothers prayed to god to give a child healthy, intelligent, lucky and fair one on a good day, on good star and at a good time. They harboured good thoughts during the period of carrying. Mostly this was the case. There will be a village midwife to assist. Most deliveries will be without surgery. There were women who gave birth even to 15 children. Only by human wealth all other wealth will accrue.
In present days the deterioration is due to the multiplicity of low class magazines which are below trash value and the TV shows are imparting negative knowledge of how not to be and propagating the values of lewd, nude dances and the songs are of about sex only. There are beautiful, knowledge imparting literature in thamizh and sanskirit which are not even looked at. There should be no bar in getting children as described above.

best regards for all the readers

Small family norm plays an important role these days, not only from the angle of welfare of
an individual, the family, community, as it has a great say over the country. Some community
do not adopt the above practice yet. A slow growth rate of population can certainly bring in
quality changes in the living habits of the people as against the present upward worrying trend.
The faster growth directly tells upon the shelter, food and nutrition, quality and quantity, health,
education, living habits, etc. particularly those children who are in the economically weaker
pockets as the economic growth and their other life related habits are not appreciable. When the above
problems prevail in the minds of the people, where can they find time to think of religious
aspects or charm towards dharmic features, when their entire mind is continuously focused on their survival
alone.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Last edited:
I have seen the mind of single child and child born with brothers and sisters. In the latter group, there is a sort of affinity between them. Being a single most loved one, the parents are careful about it and spoil it by yielding to its adamancy. Later these girls become responsible for large scale divorce and problem for elders in the evening of life. Ditto with boys also. We can have a maximum of five, certainly three. I hear the protest sounds. Time is not far off when the community becomes a denuded forest

Before we encourage the kids to go to temples, we as parents must know and understand about Hinduism and purpose of going to temple.

When it comes to Christians and Muslims they have religious classes and since young they teach their kids about their religion. Sorry to say if it is a brahmin family since young the parents will teach them the vedas, mantras and traditions so they know about all these since young. But people like me who are non-brahmins we find it difficult to understand about hinduism due to lack of guidance as our parents do not know how to answer certain questions when we put it in front of them. So it make hinduism sounds so difficult.

It will be much much better if kids and parents have classes like Sunday classes which the christians have, both the parents and kids will understand hinduism better.The kids will show interest in going to temple too.As long as it does not happen I am sorry to say we cannot force the kids to go to temple.

This is solely my point of view. Sorry if through my comment I hurt anyone.

Last edited:
Spaceshuttle,
welcome again.

It will be much much better if kids and parents have classes like Sunday classes which the christians have, both the parents and kids will understand hinduism better.The kids will show interest in going to temple too.As long as it does not happen I am sorry to say we cannot force the kids to go to temple.

In Chinmaya mission this is a practice. The adults will have Gita classes, and children Balvihar. This practice is also followed in many US hindu establishments.
But once the children become independent, do they keep it up, that is debatable.
They have other priorities.

Dear Prasad Ji,

The problem gets compounded by the fact that classes tend to be somewhat small and the students being of various ages. To present information to an 11 year old is so vastly different than the approach for a 6 year old. There may be enough students to fill a class but there aren't usually enough to split into multiple classes. This is why I stated in my post that Hindu populations are just now growing to sizes to sustain these types of initiatives here in the States.

-
Sankara

Spaceshuttle,
welcome again.

In Chinmaya mission this is a practice. The adults will have Gita classes, and children Balvihar. This practice is also followed in many US hindu establishments.
But once the children become independent, do they keep it up, that is debatable.

Dear Prasad Ji,

The problem gets compounded by the fact that classes tend to be somewhat small and the students being of various ages. To present information to an 11 year old is so vastly different than the approach for a 6 year old. There may be enough students to fill a class but there aren't usually enough to split into multiple classes. This is why I stated in my post that Hindu populations are just now growing to sizes to sustain these types of initiatives here in the States.

-
Sankara

You are so right.
We went through that stage, and also it is difficult to find qualified teachers, and parents who do not treat it like daycare. LOL

Spaceshuttle,
welcome again.

The values that the Chinmaya schools (TN) inculcate in children is admirable. starting with daily prayers and as you had mentioned, gita chanting and gita classes, their service is wonderful.

Hello ALL:

What happened to our fellow Veteran Member Writer K (Kunjappa)? Is he also on long Strike?

Anyway, I miss dear HH, Sangom and K.

People, where ever you are, it has been a pleasure flying the blue skies of Freedom and Fairness with you.

Your long very thoughtful posts on very many subjects always attracted me.

Please keep writing.

Will remain a big admirer.

Warm regards.

Y

How can we encourage our kids to go to temple more

Hinduism can discussed over many classes. But then an outline will do to
the people as it is an interesting subject to learn about. Only when people
start going through many articles on Hinduism, will start getting an impetus.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

In every hindu household the parents are not aware of many things about hinduism.When the kids approach them since they do not know they chase away the kids.These kids grow up and think hinduism as some kind of complicated religion.

I myself sign up in this website to know alot of things about Hinduism which I am not aware of. I faced the same problem when I was a kid as my parents go to temple on and off and whenever I ask questions about hinduism I use to get proper scolding for asking questions. When I grew up I decided I must find a way to understand this beautiful religion and when I saw this website when I was surfing the net I was happy and signed up.

This is the same problem being face by the kids today. When they grow up whether they follow or not is depend on how we teach about our religion to our kids.

This is the same problem being face by the kids today. When they grow up whether they follow or not is depend on how we teach about our religion to our kids.

shuttle, i'm just curious here.

how are you handling such situations with your own kid. now, in this days of internet,every thing is available to read with the touch of a google button. so what difficulty you are finding in teaching your kids

let me know, how this issue is solved at the individual level, than suggesting to implement a copy cat model from other religions or blaming it on the existing system

Last edited by a moderator:

how are you handling such situations with your own kid. now, in this days of internet,every thing is available to read with the touch of a google button. so what difficulty you are finding in teaching your kids

let me know, how this issue is solved at the individual level, than suggesting to implement a copy cat model from other religions or blaming it on the existing system
As you have correctly put one can learn all about Hinduism from the internet.One should have interest and inclination to see,

Mr. ShivKc you have a very good point.
My post#2 gives my personal experience.
Renukaji in her post#7 gives her experience.
Unfortunately there is no one cookie cutter formula for all to follow.
You have to start early and make it fun to visit Temple.
In the Temple here in my town, it was always fun filled Sundays. If it was Sunday we would be in the Temple. I did shopping, visiting friends, restaurant, parties, and temple as a family.
We are also very open, i never felt that I know it all, so I had no difficulty in accepting that I did not have an immediate answer, but I will research and find what I need. So there was an open and honest dialog.
We can create the impressions till they are dependent on us, then it is up to them. What ever is there in the future is "Uperwala Jane".

Last edited:

I am not here to copy cat model from other religion or blaming it on the existing system. I just said my point of view.I think there is no need for you to insult my point of view as I am just pointing out what is happening in current situation. Before you insult a person please do try it understand what the person trying to say. It is easy to comment unetically then giving a proper suggestion.

Last edited:
I am not here to copy cat model from other religion or blaming it on the existing system. I just said my point of view.I think there is no need for you to insult my point of view as I am just pointing out what is happening in current situation. Before you insult a person please do try it understand what the person trying to say. It is easy to comment unetically then giving a proper suggestion.

Spaceshuttleji,
You are new in this site. We are among friends, so take it easy. A point and counterpoint is the culture here, so there is nothing to be insulted.
He was just curious to know your POV.

I was really take aback as I felt that it was a big mistake to compare with another religion so that it is easier to understand what I am trying to say. After sending my opinion I thought I came here to learn about hinduism and do not get involve in any argumentative issue. Not because I am hurt but I thought it will defeat my purpose of coming here. You are friends and I am just a new comer so no more comments.

To all sorry if my comments hurt you.

I was really take aback as I felt that it was a big mistake to compare with another religion so that it is easier to understand what I am trying to say. After sending my opinion I thought I came here to learn about hinduism and do not get involve in any argumentative issue. Not because I am hurt but I thought it will defeat my purpose of coming here. You are friends and I am just a new comer so no more comments.

To all sorry if my comments hurt you.

Dear SS,

Shiv's enquiry was imo, innocent and not with the purpose of mocking. So, kindly forgive and forget.

I agree that children will look to and expect satisfactory explanations from parents only, especially when they are young and therefore, highly impressionable. But once they grow into their teens, especially when they are living in foreign countries and mixing with the non-hindu friends and peers, they tend to go away from the culture of going to temples and the belief which people have about temples, the deity, the divinity, etc., of temples. That has been the starting point for this thread, to my understanding.

Dear SS,

Shiv's enquiry was imo, innocent and not with the purpose of mocking. So, kindly forgive and forget.

I agree that children will look to and expect satisfactory explanations from parents only, especially when they are young and therefore, highly impressionable. But once they grow into their teens, especially when they are living in foreign countries and mixing with the non-hindu friends and peers, they tend to go away from the culture of going to temples and the belief which people have about temples, the deity, the divinity, etc., of temples. That has been the starting point for this thread, to my understanding.

I do agree that was the starting point for this thread and that too was my understanding. Now I decided to stay away from these kind of argumentative issues so that I can learn more about my religion which I am not aware of so many things and it does not look bad on me.

"Silent is Golden" Ha,ha,ha. Any way thanks for your advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back