• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Holy Places in India for Performing Upanayanam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskarams to All members.

I. I would like to know whether any holy places are there in India particularly for Performing Upanayanam.

II. Also Need suggessions from the members what is the correct way for performing Upanayanam following our Hindu Vaideha way.

a) Inviting all our relatives & friends and arranging the upanayanam in a mandapam (like a small marriage).

b) Or Performing the Upanayanam through samasthi upanayanam.

c) Or Performing the Upanayanam in any holy places.

I Hope members will clarify and post their suggestions for the abv queries. Thanks in advance.

Ganapathi.G

Mr. Ganapathy

While people are now using halls and kalyana mandapams, the original location for performing upanayanam is the home. Ideally only family members and close friends are called to bless the boy on this occasion. This is because this a deeply solemn event in which the father imparts the sacred Gayathri to the son, initiating his spiritual progress.

These days, of course, this event has become quite the social affair. So, such places as the Woodlands Hotel or a kalyana mandapam are now being used. The upanayanam does not require a mandapam. But, room for a homam is most important, as well as adequate space for the 12 priests who will be performing the udhaga shanthi the day before.

Dear Mr.Raghavan,

Namaskaram. Thanks for your reply and I agree with your points. I am residing out of India and i want to conduct Upanayanam for my son in India. My parents are passed away and there is no elders in our family to guide us. Even if I stay out of India, i am still doing Santhyavanthanam everyday. I want to perform Upanayanam for my son purely based on our Brahmin Vaideha way especially based on our Sama Veda. I am bit confused about what is the correct way and best way for performing Upanayanam. So i expect members will come with their valuable suggessions. Hope this thread will also help others who are in same dilema like me. Tks.

Requirements for upanayanam; upanayana poorvangam; turmeric powder 100n gram; kunkumam 50 gram; sandal wood powder10 gram thodutha puspam saram 3 meter; coconut 4 nos; plantain fruit 25 nos; betel leaf 100 nos; betel nut 100 gram; paddy or wheat 2kg; raw rice 2 kg; black gram 250 gram; gingilly seeds 100 gram;plantain leaf 10 nos; mango tree leaf bunch 8 nos; paaligai 5 nos;cow's milk 250 milli; paaligai saman paddy;gingilly seeds, black gram; green gram; kadugu tatal 100 grams. udhaka shanthi kudam 1; prathisara sombu 1; thambalam 4nos; kinnam 4; pancha pathra uthirini. haaram (maalai) for the boy 1 no.

Anungai (Permission) ganesa pooja; navagraha preethi; punyaha vachanam; udhaka shanthi japa dakshinai; oshadhi sooktham for paligai japa dakshinai;prathi sara japa dakshinai; ayushya sooktha japa dakshinai; raksha bandhana graha preethi; nandhi; buktha dakshinai vaadhyar

dakshinai;punyahavachana japa dakshinai; nandhi dhakshinai;

Nandhi to satisfy and to get blessings of pithrus.; You can do by giving 9x5dhoty pancha pathra uthirini and meals and dakshinai; for ten persons; OR you can do with minimum 4 persons only by giving money after aavaahanam; for udaka santhim japam 6 sastrigals are required;

For sumangalies minimum 5 nos who are adding the paligai saman in the paligai you have to give thamboolam flower sandanam and kunkumam and dakshinai. these nandhi and udaka santhi can be done the previous day to upanayanam only morning time is the best.

Upanayanam and brahmopadesam; haaram for the boy 1 no; thodutha pushpam 2 meter; coconut 15 nos; plantain fruit 50 nos; betel leaves 100 nos; betel nut 100 grams; seeval 100 gram or pakku pottalam ; paddy or wheat 2 kilo; raw rice 1 kilo; plantain leaf 4 nos; deeksha vasthram 9 mulam 1; ghee 500 gram; havis 50 gram; jaggary; curd; honey; kadugu; rice flour each 25 grams; ammi 1 no; small knief 1 no; deer skin (maan thol) small piece; kumara bhojanam 4 mulam dhothi 2 nos; brahmopadesha pattu 1 no; silver poonal; gold poonal;bikshai raw rice 5 kilo; mud madagu big2 and small 8 nos; visiri4 nos; vratti 10 nos; umi and srai thool wooden pieces 2 kilo; biksha thambalam 2 nos; sundal and appam for neivedhyam

; Jadha karmadhi vaideeka vivaram; Ganapathy pooja; jadha karma anuggai; kaalaatheetha krichram; begining graha preethi; curd ;honey bali karana taking dhaanam; punyaha vachanam dakshinai; namakaranam and anna praasanam (food taking) aqnd then vapanam hair removal from head upanayana anuggai; graha preethi; poonal punyaha suddhi; kumara bhojana dakshinai; japa dakshinai; graha preethi; brahmopadesa anuggai; graha preethi ;guru padha pooja; brahmopadesa dakshinai; samidha dhana anuggai; graha preethi; mathru bikshai; sathgunyam; vadhyar sambhavanai;;

You can start from head hair cutting if you have already done naamakaranam and annapraasanam and jadhakarma; I have written here for those people who have not done jadha karma and naamakaranam and annapraasnam; Seer from boy's mother's father side: gold and silver poonal;aasirvada dhothy and saree blouse ;thaambalam; pancha pathra uthurini in silver or in copper;brahmopadesa pattu vasthram.raw rice for bikshai.sweets and murukku;

Naandhi= Ab udhaya srardham Viswedevar 2 persons; mother vargam 2 persons; father vargam 2 persons; mother's parents vargam 2 persons;Maha vishnu 2 persons; total 10 persons; you can give them raw rice with some green gram dhall and monthan plantain kaai; with poonal and dakshinai in 10 plantain leaves;or you can do this with minimum 5 persona according to financial status of the individual. abbudhayam means the growth of dharma artha and kamam. For these to grow you are doing aaradhanai mto pithru devas. prarthana let the devathas make me to think always good deeds to others; and the pithrus say yes to this. these portions are taken from yajur vedha aapasthamba poorva prayogam book written by anna of Ramakrishna mutt.and pub liswhed by surabi jagathguru sadhapthi publications chennai 33.

Angurarpanam;=5 paaligai prayer to brahma in the centre east indran; south yaman; west varunan (water devatha) north soman to fulfill all our desires and to make the function every success. this means that we have started the function as per sastra method.

Prathisara bandham= wearing the thread in the hand for males Right hand and for females left hand; kanganam katti kolluthal he has decided full heartedly to do this function.

samidha dhanam= After upanayanam he becomes brahma chari and daily after sandhya vandhanam and gayathri japam. he has to do in the morning and evening daily samidha dhanam.homam with 12 swamithu.

chowlam= kudumi vaippathu=It should be done in the end of first or third year. along with darbai you have to cut the hair of the boy on four directions with manthras and put the hair in a mud pot along with cow dung and it should be thrown away at the foot of athi tree. Mother or one brahmachari must be near the kartha ta receive the cuted hair and dhabai.

Ammi midhithal= alo0ng with manthra the boy should say that he will withstand problems boldly. The boy has to wear a new dhothi now and a megalai( a thread made from three dharbai 2 metre long) with manthras. Kumara bhojanam along with brahmacharis without salt and sour ;

pranava sradha medha pooja On those days it was done on the 4th day. now a days it is impossible and we are doing on the upanayanam day and aasirvadham to the boy.

Only after upanayanam he is eligible to learn vedam. Father; Father's father; father's brother ;elder brother or the old man of the same gothram;are the first grade eligible people to do brahmopadssam. widowcan be done uptaers should not do brahmopadasam.AApasthambar 1-27 upanayanam can be done to the boy upto the age of 16. Brahmachari should not sleep during day time;should not supari and thamboolam; should see dance programes; only limited movement with ladies; to be continued

We conducted our son's upanayanam in swamimalai(near kumbakonam) . U can consider this as this is the place where murugan taught the meaning of Om to his father. Also there is another place govindankudi where people settle abroad do upanayanam there.
There is a small hall near temple and the expense is less and satisfaction is more.
If serious I can give further details
charanya

hi
Kaladi is most suitable place....i wont deny other places...even i belong to samaveda....there is nice sringeri mutt with all facilities available..

but i did my son's upanayanam in samasthi upanayanam in chennai due to time constraint... i live in USA....so there are lot of

help required in upanayanam....u can try......

regards
tbs

Upanayanam

sir,

If by any chance one was to break, loose the paaligai what is the remedy?
What is the significance of "paligai" viz viz marriage and upanayanam?

warm regards

Requirements for upanayanam; upanayana poorvangam; turmeric powder 100n gram; kunkumam 50 gram; sandal wood powder10 gram thodutha puspam saram 3 meter; coconut 4 nos; plantain fruit 25 nos; betel leaf 100 nos; betel nut 100 gram; paddy or wheat 2kg; raw rice 2 kg; black gram 250 gram; gingilly seeds 100 gram;plantain leaf 10 nos; mango tree leaf bunch 8 nos; paaligai 5 nos;cow's milk 250 milli; paaligai saman paddy;gingilly seeds, black gram; green gram; kadugu tatal 100 grams. udhaka shanthi kudam 1; prathisara sombu 1; thambalam 4nos; kinnam 4; pancha pathra uthirini. haaram (maalai) for the boy 1 no.

Anungai (Permission) ganesa pooja; navagraha preethi; punyaha vachanam; udhaka shanthi japa dakshinai; oshadhi sooktham for paligai japa dakshinai;prathi sara japa dakshinai; ayushya sooktha japa dakshinai; raksha bandhana graha preethi; nandhi; buktha dakshinai vaadhyar

dakshinai;punyahavachana japa dakshinai; nandhi dhakshinai;

Nandhi to satisfy and to get blessings of pithrus.; You can do by giving 9x5dhoty pancha pathra uthirini and meals and dakshinai; for ten persons; OR you can do with minimum 4 persons only by giving money after aavaahanam; for udaka santhim japam 6 sastrigals are required;

For sumangalies minimum 5 nos who are adding the paligai saman in the paligai you have to give thamboolam flower sandanam and kunkumam and dakshinai. these nandhi and udaka santhi can be done the previous day to upanayanam only morning time is the best.

Upanayanam and brahmopadesam; haaram for the boy 1 no; thodutha pushpam 2 meter; coconut 15 nos; plantain fruit 50 nos; betel leaves 100 nos; betel nut 100 grams; seeval 100 gram or pakku pottalam ; paddy or wheat 2 kilo; raw rice 1 kilo; plantain leaf 4 nos; deeksha vasthram 9 mulam 1; ghee 500 gram; havis 50 gram; jaggary; curd; honey; kadugu; rice flour each 25 grams; ammi 1 no; small knief 1 no; deer skin (maan thol) small piece; kumara bhojanam 4 mulam dhothi 2 nos; brahmopadesha pattu 1 no; silver poonal; gold poonal;bikshai raw rice 5 kilo; mud madagu big2 and small 8 nos; visiri4 nos; vratti 10 nos; umi and srai thool wooden pieces 2 kilo; biksha thambalam 2 nos; sundal and appam for neivedhyam

; Jadha karmadhi vaideeka vivaram; Ganapathy pooja; jadha karma anuggai; kaalaatheetha krichram; begining graha preethi; curd ;honey bali karana taking dhaanam; punyaha vachanam dakshinai; namakaranam and anna praasanam (food taking) aqnd then vapanam hair removal from head upanayana anuggai; graha preethi; poonal punyaha suddhi; kumara bhojana dakshinai; japa dakshinai; graha preethi; brahmopadesa anuggai; graha preethi ;guru padha pooja; brahmopadesa dakshinai; samidha dhana anuggai; graha preethi; mathru bikshai; sathgunyam; vadhyar sambhavanai;;

You can start from head hair cutting if you have already done naamakaranam and annapraasanam and jadhakarma; I have written here for those people who have not done jadha karma and naamakaranam and annapraasnam; Seer from boy's mother's father side: gold and silver poonal;aasirvada dhothy and saree blouse ;thaambalam; pancha pathra uthurini in silver or in copper;brahmopadesa pattu vasthram.raw rice for bikshai.sweets and murukku;

UpanayanamThe initiation was done by the Upadesham (instruction) of the Gaayathri manthram. The
manthram (sacred formula) is a universal prayer that can be used by men of all climes and
creeds, for, it calls upon the Glorious Power that pervades the Sun and the three worlds to arouse,
awaken and strengthen the Intelligence, so that it may lead to intense Saadhana and Saadhana
may lead to success.First: Faith, that can stand the ridicule of the ignorant, the cavilling by the worldly, the laughter
of the low-minded. When someone ridicules, you should argue like this within yourself: Is he
ridiculing my body? Well, he is doing what I myself would wish to do; for, I too want to escape
out of this attachment of this body. Is he ridiculing the Aathma? Well, he is doing the impossible,
for, the Aathma is beyond the reach of words or thought; it is unaffected by praise or blame. Say
to yourself, "My Aathma thathwa (Principle of the Self) is Nischala (immovable), it is Nirmala
(pure)," and carry on.
Second: Do not worry about ups and downs, loss or gain, joy or grief. You are yourself the
maker of the ups and downs. If you but care, it can all be one smooth level. You label something
as loss and something else as gain. You crave for a thing and when you get it, you call it joy;
when you don't, you call it grief. Cut the craving off, and there will be no more swinging from
joy to grief.
Third: Reason out and get convinced of the truth, Sarvam Brahmamayam (All is Brahman). You
know there are five elements or bhuuthas, which constitute, by their permutations and
combinations, the world called Prapancham, the "Five-constituted." Prithivi or the Earthelement
has five qualities, the maximum, and so, it is the grossest. It has its own special
characteristic of gandha (smell), as well as the characteristic of the other four, namely, sparsha,
rasa, ruupa and sabdha (touch, taste, form and sound). The next one Jala, the water-element has
only four, its own special one---taste and touch, form So it is subtler than the Earth-element.
Agni is subtler still, because apart from its special characteristics of form, it has only two others,
sound and touch. Vaagu, the Air-element has touch as its special and one more quality, sound.
Finally the lightest and subtlest of all the five, Aakaasha, the Sky-element, has only one
characteristic, its own, namely, sabdha. Now, God is subtler than even Aakaasha and so He is
all-pervading, even more than ether or anything more pervasive than that. His nature is beyond

Upanayanam & Kshetram:

Namaskarams to All members.

I. I would like to know whether any holy places are there in India particularly for Performing Upanayanam.

II. Also Need suggessions from the members what is the correct way for performing Upanayanam following our Hindu Vaideha way.

a) Inviting all our relatives & friends and arranging the upanayanam in a mandapam (like a small marriage).

b) Or Performing the Upanayanam through samasthi upanayanam.

c) Or Performing the Upanayanam in any holy places.

I Hope members will clarify and post their suggestions for the abv queries. Thanks in advance.

Ganapathi.G

Any place in this earth where god is present. One's home is good. Or a place where a good river flows. All temples where they allow. But NOT Kalyana Mandapams. If one wants to do in pompous ways, it is their privilege. Instead of inviting all and sundry, all co-gotras presence would be much better. If one's economic condition is not that good, just boy's parents and guru (shastrigal) are enough. There is absolutely no meaning in spending lakhs and flaunt meaningless wealth. Above all ensure a good teacher for training the boy for doing sandhyavandanam regularly until he can do on his own. Please do not try mesmerize the boy with awe.

Upanayanam is not a social function like Marriage. Not a function where you receive Gifts from Friends and relatives. Not to be proclaimed in public by printing invitation.

It is a purely religious function which should be attended only by family members.

Please ensure that

1. Upanayanam is done at the age prescribed by the Sasthras.

2. Perform Nandi Shraddham.

3. Get a Good priest who knows the ritual well. Ask him to ensure that all the necessary rituals are carried out without cutting corners.

By inviting Friends and relatives and making it a social function, we tend to neglect the necessary function. Boys tend to concentrate more on entertaining their friends than on learning the Gayathri Mantra.

I had conducted Upanayanam for my two sons. People had suggested that I could hold them at the same time to save money. I refused because I wanted to do the Upadhesam myself for both of them. No invitation. Only family members. No kalyana mandapam. I did have the advantage of a House in T. Nagar with a large compound where we put up a pandal. Of course in the end I ended by spending more money because of two separate functions. Became very unpopular with friends and many family members since they felt that I should have invited them.

There are a number of books on Upanayanam. Please buy a couple of books and read them. Ask your boys to read them . I have a book which was published by Mahrishi Debendranath Tagore the father of Rabindranath Tagore at the time of Upanayanam of Rabindranath Tagore. He distributed it to the guests. Excellent book explaining all the rituals and Mantras.

I can post the name of books here if you want. But a visit to Giri Trading will be more than sufficient.

My son's marriage invitation contained an explanation of all the rituals and Mantras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back