• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism - Do you feel the recent Nithyanand swami episode a blow to Hinduism ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsundaram

No details needed to be discussed more please about his personal actions which we saw in television, read in news papers, weekly magazines etc., All of a sudden he was going to the top level, and all of a sudden he has come down in view of all reportings.
That is not criteria now.
My raising this question is specific as the objective is also clear, I am sure.
Do you feel that his downfall as a hindu swamiji, a hindu spiritual teacher will bring a bad name to hinduism or not ?
if you say yes, how ?
if you say No, why ?
With out getting into any other details can the kind valued opinion of our memebers be generated? Thank you

dear sundaram sir,
a desciple of chinmaya was staying with us and she said she walked out of the ashram because chinmaya had this habit of putting his hand into the blouse of women who meditated and sitting in the front row right in front of him, so these god men cannot hold themselves, like how in our scriptures they mention do not look at the man but listen to his godly enlightenment if one can get enlightened nothing like it, so this hype will rise and fall the god men will go on and here we see at least he has admitted to not remaining or advising celibacy to any one...sunkan

Dr Sundaram Sir,

Right from Idhikasa purana days, we have seen both good and evil forces raising in Hinduism. Since Hindu Dharma supports only good forces, evil forces gets destroyed eventually.

Ravana is a very learned scholar mastering all the four vedhas. But his weakness for a particular married woman destroyed him.

Only Ravana was eliminated but not Hinduism.

Again in Mahabaratha, Duryodhana is a great warrior and had lot of good qualities. But his deviation from the path of dharma, eliminated him ultimately.

To preserve good plants, bad plants have to removed from the field. களை எடுப்பு. It has to be done regularly and it will only help good plants to grow much faster and better.

All the best

Thirumuruga Kripaananda Vaariyaar used to say:

-- It is the Naasthikaas who actually help to preserve Aasthikam, It is only when naasthikaas oppose , the aasthikaas get opportunity to tell about Aasthikam.

Whenever a bout of epidemic occurs ,then only efforts are taken on war footing to make people aware of the disease and prepare them for prevention and cure.

Likewise, each genuine exposure or deliberate negative campaign will not weaken Hinduism, but it will be an opportunity to strengthen Hinduism. To mint the gold, the muck and mud has to be removed.

Greetings

Dear Sundaram Sir,
Most of these fake swamis are destroying Hindu religion image. To be frank one fake swami in Andhra Pradesh sold black tickets in cinema theathres.
Suddenly he disappeared from that place. One day while i was watching television ,i had seen him in one of the leading channel preaching Shasthras.
There seems to be some nexus between these fake swamis and politicans and media.
This is really disgusting.

Dear all,

Actually I am more comfortable using the word Sanathana Dharma than Hinduism because the word Hinduism is kind of a "static" feeling...and does not give an eternal feel like the word Sanathana Dharma...

Actually Santhana Dharma is eternal...It does not need us or even our opinion..Its we who need Sanathana Dharma...So how can Sanathana Dharma a.k.a Hinduism even receive a blow or even be destablized by the actions of anyone whether a Spiritual Guru or a commoner ?

The feeling of ups and downs in day to day life are purely for us to handle...Its our own feelings which are affected if we really ponder on it...
Religion has nothing got to do with it...

renu

Hinduism - Do you feel the recent Nithyanand swami episode a blow to Hinduism ? »

Dear Dr Sundaram,

No
. Our Dharma is much more stronger and has faced many onslaughts from variuos forces. Instead I believe these exposures are God's own technique to expose the fake Acharyas / Gurus and to rescue the innocent believers from falling into the trap of fake spiritual predators.. These exposures help to cleanse the muck from the holy spiritual stream. Now that this "Swamiji" has accepted that the persons seen in the video are true, he has proved that he is just another Rajasekharan and nothing more than that.

Sanyas requires highest form of renunciation with deep dispassion, not every one is qualified to take Sanyas. How true the words of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa who cautioned the spiritual seeker to be careful not to fall into the clutches of Kamini ( women) and Kanchana (gold). Unfortunately, this person seems to have fallen for both.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Dear all,

In the days of yore...anyone taking up sanyas was forcibly kept away from the members of the opposite sex..

You know a man living alone in the jungle might feel he has conquered anger till he comes to town and someone makes him angry.
Enough times in our Puranas we read rishis getting angry and cursing people etc...
These rishis also have not conquered anger...what is the big difference between anger and lust?

Sanyasis of the ancient days were physically celibate..but none of us know what really went on in their mind...

Mind is the most diffficult to control...
Running away from a situation is not going to help..its just like commiting suicide..
All of us should learn from this whole episode and try to get over our flaws and inadequacies..

In a way Nithyananda is still teaching us a very valueble lesson...

Lesson 336 from Living with Siva

Song of the Sannyasin

Wake up the note! the song that had its birth
Far off, where worldly taint could never reach,
In mountain caves and glades of forest deep,
Whose calm no sigh for lust or wealth or fame
Could ever dare to break; where rolled the stream
Of knowledge, truth and bliss that follows both.
Sing high that note, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Strike off thy fetters! bonds that bind thee down,
Of shining gold, or darker, baser ore--
Love, hate; good, bad; and all the dual throng.
Know slave is slave, caressed or whipped, not free;
For fetters, though of gold, are not less strong to bind.
Then off with them, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"
Let darkness go; the will-o'-the-wisp that leads
With blinking light to pile more gloom on gloom.
This thirst for life forever quench; it drags
From birth to death, and death to birth, the soul.
He conquers all who conquers self.
Know this and never yield, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

"Who sows must reap," they say, "and cause must bring
The sure effect: good, good; bad, bad; and none
Escapes the law. But whoso wears a form
Must wear the chain." Too true; but far beyond
Both name and form is atman, ever free.
Know thou art That, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

They know not truth who dream such vacant dreams
As father, mother, children, wife and friend.
The sexless Self--whose father He? whose child?
Whose friend, whose foe, is He who is but One?
The Self is all in all--none else exists;
And thou art That, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

There is but One: the Free, the Knower, Self,
Without a name, without a form or stain.
In Him is maya, dreaming all this dream.
The Witness, He appears as nature, soul.
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Where seekest thou? That freedom, friend, this world
Nor that can give. In books and temples, vain
Thy search. Thine only is the hand that holds
The rope that drags thee on. Then cease lament.
Let go thy hold, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Say, "Peace to all. From me no danger be
To aught that lives. In those that dwell on high,
In those that lowly creep--I am the Self in all!
CAll life, both here and there, do I renounce,
All heavens and earths and hells, all hopes and fears."
Thus cut thy bonds, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Heed then no more how body lives or goes.
Its task is done: let karma float it down.
Let one put garlands on, another kick
This frame: say naught. No praise or blame can be
Where praiser, praised, and blamer, blamed, are one.
Thus be thou calm, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Truth never comes where lust and fame and greed
Of gain reside. No man who thinks of woman
As his wife can ever perfect be;
Nor he who owns the least of things, nor he
Whom anger Chains, can ever pass through maya's gates.
So, give these up, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Have thou no home. What home can hold thee, friend?
The sky thy roof, the grass thy bed, and food
What chance may bring--well cooked or ill, judge not.
No food or drink can taint that noble Self
Which knows Itself. Like rolling river free
Thou ever be, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Few only know the truth. The rest will hate
And laugh at thee, great one; but pay no heed.
Go thou, the free, from place to place, and help
Them out of darkness, maya's veil. Without
The fear of pain or search for pleasure, go
Beyond them both, sannyasin bold!
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

Thus day by day, till karma's power's spent,
Release the soul forever. No more is birth,
Nor I, nor thou, nor God, nor man. The "I"
Has All become, the All is "I" and Bliss.
Say "Om Tat Sat, Om!"

"Song of the Sannyasin" by Swami Vivekananda is quoted, with written permission, from Inspired Talks, My Master and Other Writings; copyright 1958 by Swami Nikhilananda, trustee of the estate of Swami Vivekananda; published by the Ramakrishna-Vivekananda Center of New York.

No details needed to be discussed more please about his personal actions which we saw in television, read in news papers, weekly magazines etc., All of a sudden he was going to the top level, and all of a sudden he has come down in view of all reportings.
Do you feel that his downfall as a hindu swamiji, a hindu spiritual teacher will bring a bad name to hinduism or not ?
if you say yes, how ?
if you say No, why ?
With out getting into any other details can the kind valued opinion of our memebers be generated? Thank you

Dr.Sundaram ji,

In my opinion too the downfall of any Hindu Swamiji as a Hindu spiritual teacher will not bring a bad name to Hinduism in Toto.

But, I strongly believe that other communities would certainly frown on Hindu Community people for their lack of understanding their own God, that's paving way for some miscreants to ridicule spirituality, philosophy and morality of humans in general.

renu,
Sanyasis of the ancient days were physically celibate..but none of us know what really went on in their mind...

there are mind readers.in bangalore,i had this experance.in kanchi puram i had this experiance.in shirdi,parthi,i had this experiance.i am thinking,paramahamsa nithyanandam is the cause and effect itself,for this drama unfolding in front of us,and being tested,to remove chaff from the wheat.hinduism will never diminish becoz its been christened by islamic people,therefore all religion,is sanathana dharma,eternal living life principles on earth.

nachi naga.

Dear dr.sundaram, nityananda may come and nityananda may go, but hinduism will go on forever!-no reservations at all.over the centuries, hinduism had onslaughts, but only emerged stronger.for example, temples were destroyed, but those were again revived and new added and still it is growing!during crisis, aharyas took avathar, like sri raghavendra, thirugnanasambandhar, adi sankarar, etc.in future also, acharya purushas will be born and hinduism will emerge more stronger.fake swamis were there earlier also.nityananda is an aberration.to the last hindu, hinduism will be there and why even after that!-hinduism can never be destroyed, because it is god given way of life!
Balagopal

Dear dr.sundaram, nityananda may come and nityananda may go, but hinduism will go on forever!-no reservations at all.over the centuries, hinduism had onslaughts, but only emerged stronger.for example, temples were destroyed, but those were again revived and new added and still it is growing!during crisis, aharyas took avathar, like sri raghavendra, thirugnanasambandhar, adi sankarar, etc.in future also, acharya purushas will be born and hinduism will emerge more stronger.fake swamis were there earlier also.nityananda is an aberration.to the last hindu, hinduism will be there and why even after that!-hinduism can never be destroyed, because it is god given way of life!
Balagopal

Thanks to all members who have responded with their able inputs.

Hello Sir,

Just to correct. Ravan was not learned of 4 vedas. As per authentic Valmiki Ramayana, Ravana was against 4 vedas and condemned Rishis / Munis who did holy Yajna. A learned of 4 veda means, one who has overcome his 5 organs of senses and perceptions and attained Dharmegh Samadhi. For sure, Ravan is not in this category. As you must be aware, Valmikiji was a great Muni (Muni - one who deeply meditates and realises Ved Mantras in heart by the power of Almighty God) who lived around 1.9Crore years back at the time of Sri Rama and his Ramayana is the authentic.
With humbleness,
Guruprasad

There are several interpretations of Ravana.

One such interpretation says as follows:

An alternative interpretation is that he created 4 vedas, and 6 upanishadas (although the Upanishads number in their hundreds), which made him as powerful as 10 scholars

The above appears in wikipedia in the following url

Ravana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway I am not interested in arguing on this point as I don't consider my self as an authority on the subject.

All the best

Hello Sir,

Just to correct. Ravan was not learned of 4 vedas. As per authentic Valmiki Ramayana, Ravana was against 4 vedas and condemned Rishis / Munis who did holy Yajna. A learned of 4 veda means, one who has overcome his 5 organs of senses and perceptions and attained Dharmegh Samadhi. For sure, Ravan is not in this category. As you must be aware, Valmikiji was a great Muni (Muni - one who deeply meditates and realises Ved Mantras in heart by the power of Almighty God) who lived around 1.9Crore years back at the time of Sri Rama and his Ramayana is the authentic.
With humbleness,
Guruprasad

Dear Sir,

As far as I know..RavanaJi was well versed in the 4 vedas and 6 shastras hence the named Dashamukha...
Anyway being the Dwarapalaka of Vaikuntha(Jaya) I would not be suprised that he was well versed with Vedas etc...

His Shiva Tandava Stotram is just simply out of this world...
Especially his "Kada nilampa nirjaree nikunja kotare vasan,
Vimuktha durmathi sada sirahstamanjaleem vahan"

You will start to wonder whether he knew the purpose of his birth and was just waiting to be released from it...

I simply love Ravanaji..He is my favorite in Ramayan

Last edited:
Let us all worry about kali yuga Ravanas.... :lol:

Correct Ravi.

Once when we were discussing about killing of Narakasura by Lord Mahavishnu and hence Deepavali is being celebrated. One of my friend said`there are several Narakasuras living right now and hence there is no sanctity of celebrating Deepavalai in this Kali Yuga'.

May be several Ravana's also exist right now.

All the best

Correct Ravi.

Once when we were discussing about killing of Narakasura by Lord Mahavishnu and hence Deepavali is being celebrated. One of my friend said`there are several Narakasuras living right now and hence there is no sanctity of celebrating Deepavalai in this Kali Yuga'.

May be several Ravana's also exist right now.

All the best

Just a reminder... better not say anything bad about RavanaJi...
remember he is Vaikuntha Dwarapalaka...
anyone seeking entry there will need to see him first...

:pray2:

renu

Just a reminder... better not say anything bad about RavanaJi...
remember he is Vaikuntha Dwarapalaka...
anyone seeking entry there will need to see him first...

:pray2:

renu

Dr.Renuka ji,

I am really threatened now...

I may have to do lots of upasana to please Lord Shiva and Devi Parvathi to recommend me to Sri Ravana ji so that Ravana ji may be pleased to :welcome: me.

:pound:

hi renuji,
ravana lives today in our inside body....jaya /vijaya dwarapalakas
are mano and buddhi....inside vaikunta atma is there...we are doing
rama ravana yuddham daily...becoz of manas and buddhi...so no
need to search ravana outside...he lives within ourselves...

regards
tbs

hi renuji,

regards
tbs

Excellent interpretation TBS sir,

Keep it up

All the best

hi renuji,

regards
tbs

Well said, Sri TBS ji....

But as long as some dubious God Men are here, spoiling many innocent and or ignorant Budhies and Atmaas, one is required to be vigilant enough to distinguish and identify the right Guru outside oneself to seek the spiritual guidance if one really wants...

hi renuji,

regards
tbs

Dear Tbsji,

i have got a question for you...i have asked this question before in the forum and many responded but i dont know why i am still not to satisfied..since you are Phd and Caturvedi..can you please help out..

Q: What is Ravana's given name at birth?

becos as far as i know Dashamukha might not be given name at birth because technically its not possible for a ten headed baby to survive with one heart to pump for 10 brains..and 10 heads cannot pass through birth canal...its not that i dont believe in divine powers but God is very human when He deals with us humans at our mundane level..

other name of Ravana is Paulasya but that is just a Taddhita Prakaranam under the category of Apatyaarthaka Pratyayaah..all his other brothers would have been known as Paulasya also...

Ravana..is just a name given after the whole episode with Lord Shiva and his ability to make people cry in fear....

kindly reply...
renu

Last edited:
Nityananda or Hinduism

if you say yes, how ?
if you say No, why ?

The episode cannot affect the so called Hinduism (a word coined not by the followers) because it is independent of these Swamis. The Sanatana Dharma was existent even before Adi Sankara. It will be bad name for those who followed the swamijis instead of Sanatana Dharma. It is bad for the gullible public who inspite of such repeat instances, flock like a "vittle poochchi". To repeat, 'Hinduism' sustains itself without the advocates. But what is unfortunate is repeated exposures of this kind. Worse still, the public would never know what was right and who was wrong. Our official motto is "Satyameva Jayate". It will. But you and I would not know of it. Many reformists have come and gone, but a kind of public will always be there to create conditions to negate or misplace values.:washing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back