• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism - Do you feel the recent Nithyanand swami episode a blow to Hinduism ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respected friends of the community,
This is my maiden posting. So I start with a small prayer to Lord Ganapathi and the Spiritual gurus as is our usual practice.
Who went after Swami Nithyananda. Those who wanted something in return rather quickly. Those that went after him today could blame him. Why should I blame when I did not go after him. These days people are born painless. There is no pain even to the mother due to various medicines and injections. I am 58 from the normal Tanjore district brahmin family. I was willing to take struggle as part of life. Perhaps the gen-X these days wants all pleasures but no pain, unless pain comes as a result of some self made injury. It is instant cricket, instant coffee, instant mail, instant love and hate, etc. All now or never. My view is that people are not interested in hard work and sincerety any more or the merit of hard work is being whittled down. We look to the God men as being quickly ameliorative of the pains and sufferings. Those who suffer some deficiency, want relief instantly and therefore go to the Godmen. A few may indeed get some help. Those who did not get, say some things and those who got say some other things.
It is very difficult to search the atman from within. Only sages like Ramana Maharishi or the Paramacharya of Kanchi or the Sai Baba could be the real Gurus who could cause the real uplink. Real Guru does not seek anything except that he conveys things indirectly which take a long time to understand. Let us take instance of Shirdi Baba's Charithram where he said that a little girl will explain the Upanishad and it happened in a simpler way.
For one who did not go after any Godman other than the Great souls referred to in the previous paragraph, let me say that instances like Nithyananda would only strengthen the Hindu way of life. Let us learn to sift the grain from the chaff.
Sarve Janah Sukhino Bhavanthu. Brahmanah Santhu Nirbhayaha.
Namaskarams
T R Ramamurthy

Excellent Comments.well said.I hold similiar views Mr Ramamuthy.Coming to the Title question of this thread,Hindu religion is beyond all these happenings and no one can bring disrepute.It has rich traditions,culture and strong conviction.There may be good and bad on the way and it is for us to sift the grain as you have said.

who is sifting is the question,as the sifter shud be above board,are they?

Hi,
As Hindus, we should adhere to our great epcis- ramayana , mahabharatha, upanishads, vedas, puranas- the more you read the more knowledge one gains and we can seek solace to our problems by reading the scriptures, etc...

These demi-gods are just a fluke- a short cut way to enjoy life. why one has to let himself seek guidance from a demi-god one can directly talk to God by praying to him daily..

Hi,
As Hindus, we should adhere to our great epcis- ramayana , mahabharatha, upanishads, vedas, puranas- the more you read the more knowledge one gains and we can seek solace to our problems by reading the scriptures, etc...

These demi-gods are just a fluke- a short cut way to enjoy life. why one has to let himself seek guidance from a demi-god one can directly talk to God by praying to him daily..

neeyathi

there is only god.there is no such thing as demi-god or semi-god,don't you think so?our scriptures like upanishads talk about brahman as god.to start with we understand the saguna aspect of brahman and to attain moksham,we strive to realise nirguna brahman.

Hinduism is not a weakling.

Dear Mr.Sundaram

Hinduism, or to be correct Sanathana Dharma is errected on strong edifice. It cannot be pulled down by a handful of publicity hungry and immoral self-styled sadhus. Such attacks have occurred in the past both from within and without. It was one of the prime reasons for the avatar of Adi Shankara Bhagavath Padal, who established four mutts in the four corners of the country, formalised the Shanmatha Worship and systemised the whole approach to religion.
Hinduism offers boundary-less freedom-so every other person comes up with a something new and finds a fan following. They are like ripples caused by downpour and shall vanish in no time. Sanathana Dharma will remain robust and healthy and eternal.

Sundaresan Suresh Iyer

Dear Mr.Sundaram

Hinduism, or to be correct Sanathana Dharma is errected on strong edifice. It cannot be pulled down by a handful of publicity hungry and immoral ....................................................
They are like ripples caused by downpour and shall vanish in no time. Sanathana Dharma will remain robust and healthy and eternal.

Sundaresan Suresh Iyer

A great fact said in a lucid and simple way.

Even if one throws a stone into a big pond, a small ripple will be there temporarirly, but the stone itself will be swallowed by the pond, and ripples will vanish by themselves. The maximum it can give is .... a slight delight for the viewer....that is all.. it disappears even without a scar...... rightly said..

Greetings

Nithyananda

I cannot divulge more details, but having closely moved with the team that is handling that fraud's case, here is what that team asked me for my opinion during the need to analyze the video CD

" Leave the morality aspect. Legally, there is nothing criminal about it since there is mutual consent "

I replied " In society, hindu society, to do that, you should not wear saffron robes, since those robes signify another track of life. People identify with some age-old authentic traditional definitions and this fellow just mocked at those definitions "

I cannot divulge more details, but having closely moved with the team that is handling that fraud's case, here is what that team asked me for my opinion during the need to analyze the video CD

" Leave the morality aspect. Legally, there is nothing criminal about it since there is mutual consent "

I replied " In society, hindu society, to do that, you should not wear saffron robes, since those robes signify another track of life. People identify with some age-old authentic traditional definitions and this fellow just mocked at those definitions "

sarvajith

ochre color signifies tyaagam or sacrifice or renunciate.the flip side is he did renounce his name fame glory even though our expectation based on his preachings were assumed that he is celibate.so he is guilty of preachings to public,but he himself failed in his own preachings for himself.people are angry becoz of being cheated and hurt by his actions.legally of course,its mutually consented act,so lawully he shud go scot free.but,if he preaches,chappal garlands awaits him.

First of all what we Hindus think we follow is not "Sanatana Dharma", in my opinion. Though the word 'sanatana' means eternal, no one will say that the vedas were eternal. What we have is the Hindu religion of the present time. This is not what the general nature of the Hindu religion was 100 years ago and that was much different (probably) from the one prevailing another 100 years earlier. If anyone doubts this statement, one should read the Dharma Sutras and Grihya Sutras to understand.

Saffron-clad Swamijis did not find any place in the Rigveda or the Brahmanas. The first time we find ascetics in some sort of 'uniforms' is in Buddhism. Sankara seems to have copied it with slight changes to suit his needs and created the 'dasnaami sampradaaya' of ascetics.

As time passed, there were more and more sanyasis wearing saffron robes but they generally did not come out in the open to ensure spiritual upliftment of their followers for a (usually hefty) fee. IMO, all these changed with Swami Vivekananda, his visit to the US, the popularity of Ramakrishna Mutt etc. Now there are so many swamis, gurus, god-men and god-women, that the Tamil saying "mozhaththukku munnooru" will be apt in that context.

There was one Swamiji Krishnanada in Anand, Gujarat, who did not belong to the aforesaid group. In one of his books he humourously remarks that the Swamiji or Family Guru system was very much in vogue in Bengal and that the success of these gurus/swamis was in assuring progeny to their devotees!

In this background, one Nithyananda episode is not going to affect a juggernaut like Hinduism; many more such 'anandas' will come and go, gullible people will flock to them and to their shrines and pour out their hard-earned and not so hard-earned wealth to the ashrams, and temporarily get affected when these gurus are irrevocably exposed, and finally, get back to their old ways after a few days. Not for nothing do the phrases "prasava vairaagyam" and "Smasaana vairaagyam" exist!!

To Sangom

First of all, Vedas are indeed eternal.

Cycle of creation begins, the vedas co-exist, destruction happens, the Vedas co-exist

Let us not even debate that and try to mix a few words here and there and make it seem intellectual. Some person reading it will confront his / her family members with that statement and if they are unable to counter that, that family will see that statement established there. One more brahmin family deteriorates. So, let this forum not even see such mis-leading statements. Let us play responsible roles here.

Once Atri Maharshi and his wife Anasuya devi along with other rishis and their wives were walking through a forest.

The wife of Atri Maharshi passed a comical comment on a Sanyasi who had a tummy.

We tie a belt made of darba grass around the waist, which basically is also a indicator to ourself when we permit health to deteriorate and our food habits result in a tummy

The wife of Atri Maharshi referred to the darba grass belt and laughed at the sanyasi.

Sanyasis have to follow "Narada Bhakti Sutra" where devarshi Narada lays down the tenets / code of conduct for Sanyasis

The VIRAJA HOMA where the person entering sanyasa performs this homa and cuts all bondages of his past, is for stepping into the sanyasa ashrama.

So, indeed Sanyasa Ashrama is there as mentioned in the Vedas. Not newly developed.

Just because we have a sense of humor and some wit, we should not let our tongue loose on a public forum

Now a days, it has become a fashion to mock at all tradition and ancient culture and then indirectly pinch someone and get the answer that way to our doubts and then after angering a community, just cooly walk away as if nothing ever happened.

To sarvajithv51

First of all let me say that I have no idea "to mock at all tradition and ancient culture and then indirectly pinch someone and get the answer that way to our doubts and then after angering a community, just cooly walk away" as you state. For your kind information, I am a brahmin of 70 years and have done little bit of study of veda mantras and all that which was customary in my boyhood. I have a lasting interest in Hinduism and have been doing some study of our scriptures. I do not think the brahmin community will deteriorate further if our youngsters get a complete and correct understanding of our religion. I do not want to enter into a discussion, but I would suggest that you read two books of Agnihotram Ramanuja Thathachariar (who was a great vedic scholar, and friend of ChandraSekharendra Sarasvathi of Kanchi Peetam). The titles are:
Hindu matam engE pOkiRatu?
ChaDangukalin katai

Ëxperience

Rama Rama, when will the Brahmin community EXPERIENCE and stop THEORY.

I am reminded of the Great Paramacharya who quoted the Bhagavad Gita where Lord Krishna explains to Arjuna who is confused with the Vishwa Roopam

"Bhaktya maam abhijaanati yaavan yaschaasmi tatvataha

Tato maam tatvato jnatva vishatae tadanantaram

Through Bhakti, Arjuna, you can know ME, my tatvam.
Once you know my tatvam, you will know the entire universe

Today, instead of aatma vicharam aided by purascharana japam of gayatri, brahmins start debating on whether demi gods are real,...etc

Once the great Ramana Maharshi was put such a question to which he replied

"If you are real, the Gods are real

sangom,

Agnihotram Ramanuja Thathachariar was a revolutionary and a true hindu.

i remember when there was this big hullaballo over lakshmipuram conversion of dalits to islam, agni was the sole hindu leader who said, that it was more a reflection and shame on hinduism for the way we treat the dalits.

very very deeply read and wise person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back