• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Happy Mothers day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mothers can really think poles apart.

Recently my son scored a 98% for his piano music theory exam and he was happy with his results.
So I told him I will buy him an Avengers toy( he likes collecting all action hero toys) and also told him I will put some money in his account as a gift for him.

My mum was telling me "don't waste money on the toy..put that money also in the bank for his future and he is not a kid to be playing with toys"

I told my mum that a token of appreciation for a child to play with won't do any harm.
I told her that sometimes the beauty of a flower is appreciated more when we smell its fragrance.
Seeing a flower from far isn't always enough and let a child be a child.

She was not happy with my answer.

Once I took my cousin's daughter who was aged 6 then to the mall along with my son(aged 8 then)
I bought for her a Barbie Doll and for my son some Ultra man toy.

When I sent my cousin's daughter home I was surprised that my cousin sis was not too happy to see the toy.

She said "Renu..my daughter is not a kid anymore to play with dolls..she is a big girl aged 6 now and I want her to think like a big girl and not a kid"

I was thinking why does everyone want kids to grow up so fast?

I am 42 and I still love dolls and teddy bears.
I have some still in my collection.
I have even given my Father In Law a teddy bear for his B'day and he loved it.

What is the hurry to grow up I wonder?

Last edited:
When I mentioned Angel Mothers I meant Mothers who are Angels; It was to exclude those who arent angels and those who arent mothers either.
Angels dont try to change themselves when called so. They are called so, because they are already seen to be that way.

All the days are family days. We do not separate the day for mother, father, son, daughter, dinlaw, sinlaw,g.father, g.mother etc.

Last edited:
All the days are family days. We do not separate the day for mother, father, son, daughter, dinlaw, sinlaw,g.father, g.mother etc.

When it is the a public responsibility then it is no one's responsibility. It is great to say that every day is special, but that means no special day for anyone.
When did you make a special effort to appreciate your mother or wife? Please do not tell me you do it everyday as that would not be honest.
We all think of God every day, but still celebrate Ganesh Chaturti, or Rama Navami. So setting aside a day to celebrate mother's day or father's day is appropriate.

No one can replace the Mother though one may play the role of Mother.
I have recently witnessed an occasion in one of my friend's Sashti Aptha Poorthy.
The 60 year old son prostrating to the Mother along with his wife. Though the
Father was happy and patting him on the back, Mother only said that instantly
that her son should celebrate his Sadabishekam and her grand children should
enjoy, while she would enjoy wherever she is.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

We all think of God every day, but still celebrate Ganesh Chaturti, or Rama Navami. So setting aside a day to celebrate mother's day or father's day is appropriate.
Every mother has a Birthday which is special. Why one more? Even Ganesh has only one special day in a year

By the way who decides the dates for mother's, father's, pets' day? Devised and driven by commercial interests to sell, cards, gifts, gold and platinum.

Every mother has a Birthday which is special. Why one more? Even Ganesh has only one special day in a year

Mothers can really think poles apart.

Recently my son scored a 98% for his piano music theory exam and he was happy with his results.
So I told him I will buy him an Avengers toy( he likes collecting all action hero toys) and also told him I will put some money in his account as a gift for him.

My mum was telling me "don't waste money on the toy..put that money also in the bank for his future and he is not a kid to be playing with toys"

I told my mum that a token of appreciation for a child to play with won't do any harm.
I told her that sometimes the beauty of a flower is appreciated more when we smell its fragrance.
Seeing a flower from far isn't always enough and let a child be a child.

She was not happy with my answer.

Once I took my cousin's daughter who was aged 6 then to the mall along with my son(aged 8 then)
I bought for her a Barbie Doll and for my son some Ultra man toy.

When I sent my cousin's daughter home I was surprised that my cousin sis was not too happy to see the toy.

She said "Renu..my daughter is not a kid anymore to play with dolls..she is a big girl aged 6 now and I want her to think like a big girl and not a kid"

I was thinking why does everyone want kids to grow up so fast?

I am 42 and I still love dolls and teddy bears.
I have some still in my collection.
I have even given my Father In Law a teddy bear for his B'day and he loved it.

What is the hurry to grow up I wonder?

Dear Renuka,

You have clearly indicated one of the many flaw's of a mother. There are many such things that may not be considered as the right decision/mental make up of a mother, that may not help her children do better.

But, the thing I believe is, a mother may be ignorant or even a fool BUT certainly she doe not hold any ill will against her children with a sort of crooked and mean mentality.

In the case of a mother that you have narrated, she has her own ideas of bringing up her kid ONLY with her firm belief that she is doing good for her kid, in her true spirit.

I am sure, even if such kids in the hands of such mothers could identify their mothers flaws/ignorance when they grow and get to know what is what, would not have utter despise towards their mothers and would not let her down at any instance, holding on their love and respect towards her, realizing all her best possible efforts and contribution towards bringing them up with her sense of good will.

Based on all this only, mothers are honored and revered as the only souls who will never wish anything wrong for their children.

If at all possible, prudent mothers can educate such ignorant mothers to help her contribute her true love, care and support more productively towards their children.

If that's not possible due any reasons, the prudent mothers should refrain from instigating hatred in the children against their ignorant mothers.

I have strong belief that mothers like you would certainly wish to help ignorant mothers to do her best for their children, if at all possible, if at all ignorant mothers are receptive to suggestions and tips.

Last edited:
By the way who decides the dates for mother's, father's, pets' day? Devised and driven by commercial interests to sell, cards, gifts, gold and platinum.

Yes it is designated by commercial interest, so what.
I think there is nothing wrong in appreciating someone else.
Here is usa they have associates, secretary week, boss day, teachers day and others too.
Even bhagvan needs praise, so what can you say about mere humans.

Ever thought of how many more special days we have?

World hug day(!), Valentines day, Anti drug day, Child rights day, Girl child day (India) ,
International labor day,

International day for the elimination of racial discrimination, May day, Ozone day, Teachers day, Thanks giving,

World day of peace and World aids day!
Added to all these specials, SingArach Chennai students celebrate Bus day!!!
:bounce:

I have strong belief that mothers like you would certainly wish to help ignorant mothers to do her best for their children, if at all possible, if at all ignorant mothers are receptive to suggestions and tips.

Dear Ravi,

I can only guide mothers on health care for themselves and their kids as a doctor.
More than that I should not get involved cos each individual has their own mind set.
No female is totally ignorant but just different thats all.

I always admire my mother for her obsessive with perfection sorts of maternal instincts.I am the total opposite I allow imperfection in my son too cos that's part of growing up.

She is a good hardworking mother and I always call her Jagan Mata cos she loves to talk about her maternal feelings.In fact even yesterday she was talking about maternal instincts.
I remember when I was in college and when she visits me she will cook for my friends also and smother them with maternal instincts.
My friends really like my mum.
She is a Cancer by Zodiac and Cancerian woman are known to be very motherly.

You know most people always wish they have their mothers again as their mother in the next life.
But if you ask me if I want my mum again as my next birth mum..my answer is No!!
Liberation is the best gift of God to anyone as perfect as her.

BTW just to add Ravi...I think you totally misunderstood my earlier post cos if you read it carefully there is no mention of any IGNORANT mother there.
It just touches upon on how mothers can be poles apart in their thinking.
I thought you understood the purport of the whole post especially since you clicked Like for it.

You know when I read your response to my post I was thinking of an funny song I once heard that one guy was caught by the police and was beaten black and blue and then he fainted.
The policeman gave him some water to drink and the waited for him to regain consciousness.
So he thought that the policeman was having compassion and thanked the policeman.
Policeman said "I gave you water and waited for you to regain consciousness so that I can hit you again!"

Your clicking Like and reading your response reminds me of that funny song!!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Ravi,

BTW just to add Ravi...I think you totally misunderstood my earlier post cos if you read it carefully there is no mention of any IGNORANT mother there.
It just touches upon on how mothers can be poles apart in their thinking.
I thought you understood the purport of the whole post especially since you clicked Like for it.

You know when I read your response to my post I was thinking of an funny song I once heard that one guy was caught by the police and was beaten black and blue and then he fainted.
The policeman gave him some water to drink and the waited for him to regain consciousness.
So he thought that the policeman was having compassion and thanked the policeman.
Policeman said "I gave you water and waited for you to regain consciousness so that I can hit you again!"

Your clicking Like and reading your response reminds me of that funny song!!LOL

Dear Renuka,

I am not surprised to find your remarks, as quoted above. I was guessing such of your feedback..

I don't know what in my post made to think you that, I am of the opinion that, you generally consider all the mothers IGNORANT except you?

Have open mind and try to understand the import of my message clearly.

Kindly don't cook up with your own preoccupied mind that I am misunderstanding you or blaming you JUST because I end up refuting a lot with you.

Where ever I have to counter your views or whenever I have the views different than yours, I used to express with all my honesty. That's all.

This should not make you blind and tell something irrelevant, as the one in your post #61.

I neither have misunderstood your post NOR had any thing to refute with you in your post #51. Thus I give away "Like" to that post where your have identified such a mother and where you have revealed your ideas about kids and "a child in an adult". I have the same opinions in this regard.

In my previous post, addressed to you, I have clearly indicated that, there are many flaws as well due to ignorance of many mothers and that still whatever she does, she does purely with her convictions that she is doing only good for her children.

I just added and expressed my views and said that, there are many ignorant and erring mothers and still realize that, such mothers have their own such ideas and impose them on their children, thinking this is the best for their children. That shows, a mother however is ignorant or fool, she thinks only good for her children with whatever she could find the best. It does not say that, you have identified IGNORANT mothers and you are peethyfying yourself..LOL!!!!!

I have not indicated that "YOU" consider some mothers as IGNORANT and FOOLS other than yourself.

I hope, in future, you don't cook up such claims "out of your frustrations due to my counter arguments with you often".

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

I am not surprised to find your remarks, as quoted above. I was guessing such of your feedback..

I don't know what in my post made to think you that, I am of the opinion that, you generally consider all the mothers IGNORANT except you?

Have open mind and try to understand the import of my message clearly.

Kindly don't cook up with your own preoccupied mind that I am misunderstanding you or blaming you JUST because I end up refuting a lot with you.

Where ever I have to counter your views or whenever I have the views different than yours, I used to express with all my honesty. That's all.

This should not make you blind and tell something irrelevant, as the one in your post #61.

I neither have misunderstood your post NOR had any thing to refute with you in your post #51. Thus I give away "Like" to that post where your have identified such a mother and where you have revealed your ideas about kids and "a child in an adult". I have the same opinions in this regard.

In my previous post, addressed to you, I have clearly indicated that, there are many flaws as well due to ignorance of many mothers and that still whatever she does, she does purely with her convictions that she is doing only good for her children.

I just added and expressed my views and said that, there are many ignorant and erring mothers and still realize that, such mothers have their own such ideas and impose them on their children, thinking this is the best for their children. That shows, a mother however is ignorant or fool, she thinks only good for her children with whatever she could find the best. It does not say that, you have identified IGNORANT mothers and you are peethyfying yourself..LOL!!!!!

I have not indicated that "YOU" consider some mothers as IGNORANT and FOOLS other than yourself.

I hope, in future, you don't cook up such claims "out of your frustrations due to my counter arguments with you often".

LOL !!! ha ha ha Ravi why so agitated?
Relax yaar.I am not frustrated its just that its pretty obvious that sometimes you want to say something but prefer to chose the indirect approach.

That's your choice and thats your style but I have the right to defend myself when I see such style of writing.
Your posts had lots of hidden meanings cos you were calling me Prudent Mother and wondering if others should get advise from me.
So it was pretty obvious yaar. I knew what you meant.

Don't worry I am a direct attacker sorts.

Take it easy dude!! dont want to tense you up.

BTW I am NOT a frustrated individual cos I don't have sky high expectations or desires.
So wrong choice of words baby!!

Also dont forget..I love debating with you so I wont ever feel frustrated dealing with you.
With you its good debate and all ACTION!!LOL

Hey Ravi..I clicked Like for your above post.OMG I am becoming you!!

Ravi ..don't take anything too much to heart Ok.
I like debating and "fighthing" with you too..its like a Love Hate relationship.

Last edited:
LOL !!! ha ha ha Ravi why so agitated?
Relax yaar.I am not frustrated its just that its pretty obvious that sometimes you want to say something but prefer to chose the indirect approach.

That's your choice and thats your style but I have the right to defend myself when I see such style of writing.
Your posts had lots of hidden meanings cos you were calling me Prudent Mother and wondering if others should get advise from me.
So it was pretty obvious yaar. I knew what you meant.

Don't worry I am a direct attacker sorts.

Take it easy dude!! dont want to tense you up.

BTW I am NOT a frustrated individual cos I don't have sky high expectations or desires.
So wrong choice of words baby!!

Also dont forget..I love debating with you so I wont ever feel frustrated dealing with you.
With you its good debate and all ACTION!!LOL

Hey Ravi..I clicked Like for your above post.OMG I am becoming you!!

Ravi ..don't take anything too much to heart Ok.
I like debating and "fighthing" with you too..its like a Love Hate relationship.

Dear Renuka,

There is nothing to take too much in heart negatively. And am sure you don't take as well. That's why I never requests/advice you not to take anything deep into your heart negatively. And I feel very comfortable to counter argue with you and express my views that are in contrast to that of yours.

You are the most desirable and pleasant member in this forum with whom any one can deal. And I am enjoying with you :)

As you said, its lot fun for me as well to debate with you. Your style of writing, your way of expressing, adding some stories to convey some special messages, adding some songs to add masala in a debate etc..etc are absolutely great!!!

See, for you its like a Love Hate relationship. If you are happy with it, I am fine with it.

But for me, its "Kilarufying and clarifying kinda" brotherly love relationship with you. That too a much eldest and highly knowledgeable sister who has lots of love towards her brother - me, a lovely baby :)

OK, now to the point.

I always tell straight without twisting hidden messages and never hesitate to do that, even by recollecting the old messages of a member.

Here, I have told straight that "You" are a "Prudent" mother, and I sincerely mean it. And I certainly wish that you pass on your ideas to any mothers about 1) considering kids as kids and let them be happy with toys of their liking, along with their growing up process; 2) To asks mothers to retain "the child in an adult" that would allow them to keep up their charm and understand their children better by which they can be good friends to their children as well.

Last edited:
Friends,
We can not celebrate mothers day every day. Make it an occasion to celebrate your mother and your children's mother. It need not be on May 13th, you do not have to purchase the card, but all the same celebrate them. Men, and specially Indian men do not express their appreciation of others (there are exceptions, probably you are one)

Friends,
We can not celebrate mothers day every day. Make it an occasion to celebrate your mother and your children's mother. It need not be on May 13th, you do not have to purchase the card, but all the same celebrate them. Men, and specially Indian men do not express their appreciation of others (there are exceptions, probably you are one)

Actually I was wondering that since we Hindu's have Navaratri celebrations why don't we have our own Mother's day on one of those days since we are honouring the Divine Mother so let our mother's too be honoured on these days.

I used to think that we do not really need to follow the west for their version of Mother's day.

We should be original...when we have our own culture why go following an alien celebration.

Last edited:
Actually I was wondering that since we Hindu's have Navaratri celebrations why don't we have our own Mother's day on one of those days since we are honouring the Divine Mother so let our mother's too be honoured on these days.

I used to think that we do not really need to follow the west for their version of Mother's day.

We should be original...when we have our own culture why go following an alien celebration.

I appreciate your concept. Actually, the motivation behind once a year mother’s day remembrance is to exorcise the ghost of 24/7 rat race that modern life has forced people into, involving separated or broken families, jobs far away from home, apartment living that does not encourage more than husband/wife/one or two children under the same roof, etc etc.

As Indians, we are also afflicted with the same rat race mentality. But, I was also thinking along the same lines as you:
I used to think that we do not really need to follow the west for their version of Mother's day. We should be original...when we have our own culture why go following an alien celebration.
But then we cannot escape the modern reality of job away from where you grew up. So, a good compromise: make the first Sunday of every month a day to call your parents home and show that you care.

Another alternative: call every Friday! And/or every festival day.

Last edited:
............. But then we cannot escape the modern reality of job away from where you grew up. So, a good compromise: make the first Sunday of every month a day to call your parents home and show that you care.

Another alternative: call every Friday! And/or every festival day.
Dear Sir,

May I add 'iff - (if and only if) the parent/parents live in the same city in which you live' to the above solutions??

In the colony where I live, in SingArach Chennai, most of the parents have their sons/ daughters living fa..........r away!!

Regards............. :)

Right from the time I arrived here in Dubai, I used to call my parents, every day and every night, all 365 days of a year, until I arrive Chennai on my yearly vacation.

Since my lovely and friendly father departed this world in Dec.2010, I am continuing with my mother now. If time permits, call her at evening time too (Indian evening time).

For me, my parents are always very close to me and I feel extremely happy to speak to them every day-in and day-out. Its a sense of closeness and the resultant pleasure both to myself and my parents. We get our self updated with every minute details of our life away from each other and don't feel that we are far away from each other, at least by talking if not physically present.

Without fail I wish my parents on every "Mothers/Fathers" day and requests them to buy some household/kitchen items or have a nice dining in a hotel of their choice. Do something or other BUT all at my cost..

When I was in Chennai, I used to kiss my mother on her head :), before leaving for office and do the same upon returning at night..:). This was the routine without which we brothers would feel like having missed some thing.

As we say commonly "Veetukku Veedu Vaasa Padi", we do at times get into arguments and anger BUT this routine never stops. When we miss a day with it, we would call them up from office and settle the issues lovingly.

Even if children are out of country or out of state or out of area of that of parents, such Love and "expressions of Love" can well be maintained to the best possible level, if one wishes to.

There are many pleasurable things in life to keep our self enjoying BUT there is nothing more and special than having Love and "expressions of Love" towards our Father and Mother.

One exclusive day in celebration of our Mother and Father is certainly a great concept. Who ever may own this concept, the western world or the eastern world BUT Parents-Child relationship of we humans are uniformly of great significance across this world of Human Survival.

It is certainly honorable and admirable.

Tomorrow, if the Hindu/Indian society comes up with the same Indian version of Mothers/Fathers day celebrations with our own unique cultural/traditional concepts, I would for sure adopt them with the sense of pride and pleasure.

Long Live Mother!!! Long Live Motherhood!!!

Right from the time I arrived here in Dubai, I used to call my parents, every day and every night, all 365 days of a year, until I arrive Chennai on my yearly vacation.

Since my lovely and friendly father departed this world in Dec.2010, I am continuing with my mother now. If time permits, call her at evening time too (Indian evening time).

For me, my parents are always very close to me and I feel extremely happy to speak to them every day-in and day-out. Its a sense of closeness and the resultant pleasure both to myself and my parents. We get our self updated with every minute details of our life away from each other and don't feel that we are far away from each other, at least by talking if not physically present.

Without fail I wish my parents on every "Mothers/Fathers" day and requests them to buy some household/kitchen items or have a nice dining in a hotel of their choice. Do something or other BUT all at my cost..

When I was in Chennai, I used to kiss my mother on her head :), before leaving for office and do the same upon returning at night..:). This was the routine without which we brothers would feel like having missed some thing.

As we say commonly "Veetukku Veedu Vaasa Padi", we do at times get into arguments and anger BUT this routine never stops. When we miss a day with it, we would call them up from office and settle the issues lovingly.

Even if children are out of country or out of state or out of area of that of parents, such Love and "expressions of Love" can well be maintained to the best possible level, if one wishes to.

There are many pleasurable things in life to keep our self enjoying BUT there is nothing more and special than having Love and "expressions of Love" towards our Father and Mother.

One exclusive day in celebration of our Mother and Father is certainly a great concept. Who ever may own this concept, the western world or the eastern world BUT Parents-Child relationship of we humans are uniformly of great significance across this world of Human Survival.

It is certainly honorable and admirable.

Tomorrow, if the Hindu/Indian society comes up with the same Indian version of Mothers/Fathers day celebrations with our own unique cultural/traditional concepts, I would for sure adopt them with the sense of pride and pleasure.

Long Live Mother!!! Long Live Motherhood!!!

Ravi,
You are a super kid, I am sure you are every mother's dream.
But not all families are blessed with your kind of relationship. So to them selected dates are appropriate. Some of us are not so eloquent in writing or speaking then the canned message "halmark Greeting card" will have to do.
Ravi, when you get married please continue the similar appreciation of your wife and mother-in-law too.

Greetings.

In Hindu traditions, in Tamil Nadu we do have a day to pay respect to elders. During Pongal festival, the fourth day is 'Kaanum Pongal'. We visit all the elders including our parents to pay respect to them get their blessings. We pay respect to our elders during every festival too. In Kerala, Vishu festival is particularly ear marked for visiting elders and paying them respect. There is no need to follow western culture; we already have few days in every year for our elders. Having said that, one more day as 'mother's day' is nice too.

Cheers!

Ravi,

Ravi, when you get married please continue the similar appreciation of your wife and mother-in-law too.

Sure!!!! That's what I am yearning for and hopefully looking forward.

There is no doubt in me about appreciating and protecting the interest of my future wife with honest love, respect and care. The same would be the case with my MIL too if she loves me like her son, like her own daughter, like her own family member.

How can I have a different mental make up when I love bondage and relationship without which I would be absolutely incomplete as a human and would never be able to honestly work towards perfection in my Love of Human Relationships.

Mothers are mothers. My mother or My future Wife's mother, both offer lots of love and care to their respective children and certainly undergo lots of sacrifices in some or other way for the sake of their children. We are the fine products of these great mothers without whom we would not be now living together as Husband-Wife.

As every Husband would expect his wife to love and respect his mother and father (whatever may be the differences of opinions among elders as sambandhis), every Husband should offer the same to that of wife's mother and father. The differences of opinions and arguments between husband and wife and the resultant anger at time or from time to time should not be reflected on each others parents by each other.

For me, mothers love and commitments and that of Wife's love and commitments are both honorable, admirable and most valuable. None of them or lower or higher against each other. Just that, the role play in our life differs and it's humans life where we give priority more to whom we are committed 24/7 in a family relationship. But, that certainly need not to diminish our sense of Love towards our parents and should not make us avoiding any possible expressions of love towards our parents.

Even if we ironically fail to express our love towards our parents in any ways, due any reasons, having our own family burdens, we should at least hold on our love and respect in our heart towards our parents and should never allow any one to talk ill of them/abuse them.

Ravi,
You are a super kid, I am sure you are every mother's dream...

I don't know if I am a super kid or NOT. But certainly I am a honest kid who can never go against his consciousness, realizing the love, care, sacrifices and pains of a mother.

I don't know if what I express to my mother can be "DREAMS" of any mother. But certainly I am not as how I am ONLY in my mother's dream.

In order to gain respect, at the first instance, one must respect his or her own
elders in the family in front of youngsters. One has to learn to give respect to
elders irrespective of age including Mother. Besides, one of the lessons one has
to learn is to respect the advice of his or her elders like Mother. This will
completely change the total picture in the joint family.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Ravi,

But not all families are blessed with your kind of relationship. So to them selected dates are appropriate.

Yes!!!! Not all families are blessed with same kind of relationship. Let's not give importance to the flaws of mothers BECAUSE a mother is mother who undergoes lots of pains and suffering right from the time of pregnancy till her children grew up and even continues to keep sincerely wishing for the well being of her children and do her best possible contribution to see her children keep doing well, until her death.

A selected date to celebrate MOTHERS DAY is the most fine concept, to express our love, respect and gratitude towards our mothers.

This is what I am saying from the beginning.

A specific selected date to celebrate Mothers/Fathers Day is certainly necessary and truly makes sense. Irrespective of how blessed are we in our parents-children relationship.

Whatever may be the reasons of bitterness between a child and his/her parents, there is nothing wrong for the child to offer and express his/her love and gratitude to his/her parents for what ever they could offer to him/her. For this, a day of celebration is most desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back