• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Good ones (usually liked by everyone to ponder/view upon)!

DID YOU FIND THIS POST USEFUL

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Story of the week!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK
COMMITMENT-STALIN & CHURCHILL!

President Truman attended the Yalta Conference of the Allies during the Second World War. He found Winston Churchill very difficult, adamant and hard to convince of anything. On the other hand, he found Joseph Stalin of Russia very affable, friendly and easy to convince. Churchill literally fought before putting his signature on any agreements. Then Truman found out the truth. Winston Churchill adhered to all the agreements and implemented them with total sincerity. Joseph Stalin did not care about what was agreed and proceeded energetically to implement his own secret agenda. The result of the two approaches is now history. Then Truman realised that Churchill was being difficult because he had every intention of being committed to the agreements. Stalin was friendly and was ready to agree because he had no intention of fulfilling his commitments.

Good Ones

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK

COMMITMENT-STALIN & CHURCHILL!

President Truman attended the Yalta Conference of the Allies during the Second World War. He found Winston Churchill very difficult, adamant and hard to convince of anything. On the other hand, he found Joseph Stalin of Russia very affable, friendly and easy to convince. Churchill literally fought before putting his signature on any agreements. Then Truman found out the truth. Winston Churchill adhered to all the agreements and implemented them with total sincerity. Joseph Stalin did not care about what was agreed and proceeded energetically to implement his own secret agenda. The result of the two approaches is now history. Then Truman realised that Churchill was being difficult because he had every intention of being committed to the agreements. Stalin was friendly and was ready to agree because he had no intention of fulfilling his commitments.

Nice to have a glance and it will be a good input for youngsters.

Balasubramanian

Story of the week!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK

MEANING OF PRAYER!

The Moghul Emperor Akbar was one day out hunting in the forest. When it was time for evening prayers he dismounted, spread his mat on the earth and knelt to pray in the manner of devout Muslims everywhere.

Now it was precisely at this time that a peasant woman, perturbed by the disappearance of her husband who had left home that morning and hadn’t returned, went rushing by, anxiously searching for her husband. In her preoccupation she did not notice the kneeling figure of the Emperor and tripped over him, then got up and without a word of apology rushed further into the forest.

Akbar was annoyed at this interruptin but, he observed the rule of speaking to no one during the Namaaz.

Now just about the time that his prayer was over the woman returned, joyful in the company of her husband whom she had found. She was surprised and frightened to see the Emperor and his entourage there. Akbar gave vent to his anger against her and shouted, “Explain your disrespectful behaviour or you will be punished.”

The woman suddenly turned fearless, looked into the Emperor’s eyes and said, “Your Majesty, I was so absorbed in the thought of my husband that I did not even see you here, not even when, as you say, I stumbled over you. Now while you were at Namaaz, you were supposedly absorbed in One who is infinitely more precious than my husband. And how is it that you noticed me?”

The Emperor was shamed into silence and later confided to his friends that a peasant woman, who was neither a scholar nor a Mullah, had taught him the meaning of prayer.

Story of the week!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK
BETTER I LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT!
A man went to see a psychiatrist and said that every night he was visited by a twelve-feet dragon with three heads. He was a nervous wreck, could not sleep at all and was on the verge of total collapse. He had even thought of suicide.
“I think I can help you,” said the psychiatrist, “but I must warn you that the treatment will take a year or two and will cost three thousand dollars.” “Three thousand dollars!” the man exclaimed. “Forget it! I’ll just go home and make friends with it. I think I’ll just learn to live with it.” Do you think the dragon bothered him ever again?

Response Vs Reaction

Response Vs Reaction

At a restaurant, a cockroach suddenly flew from somewhere and sat on a lady. She started screaming out of fear. With a panic stricken face and trembling voice, she started jumping, with both her hands desperately trying to get rid of the cockroach. Her reaction was contagious, as everyone in her group also got panicky.

The lady finally managed to push the cockroach away but ...it landed on another lady in the group. Now, it was the turn of the other lady in the group to continue the drama.

The waiter rushed forward to their rescue. In the relay of throwing, the cockroach next fell upon the waiter.

The waiter stood firm, composed himself and observed the behavior of the cockroach on his shirt. When he was confident enough, he grabbed it with his fingers and threw it out of the restaurant.
Sipping my coffee and watching the amusement, the antenna of my mind picked up a few thoughts and started wondering, was the cockroach responsible for their histrionic behavior? If so, then why was the waiter not disturbed? He handled it near to perfection, without any chaos.

It is not the cockroach, but the inability of the ladies to handle the disturbance caused by the cockroach that disturbed the ladies.

I realized that, it is not the shouting of my father or my boss or my wife that disturbs me, but it’s my inability to handle the disturbances caused by their shouting that disturbs me. It’s not the traffic jams on the road that disturbs me, but my inability to handle the disturbance caused by the traffic jam that disturbs me.

More than the problem, it’s my reaction to the problem that creates chaos in my life.

Lessons learnt from the story:
I understood, I should not react in life.
I should always respond. The women reacted, whereas the waiter responded.

Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well thought of, just and right to save a situation from going out of hands, to avoid cracks in relationship, to avoid taking decisions in anger, anxiety, stress or hurry.

Have a nice day.

Generally reactions are spontoneous and response are a little bit slow. Instead of cockroach lizard then I am sure the action would have been different. It is because aruverrupu and not fear.

Story of the week!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK
PRACTICE NAMASMARANA (chanting)

Here is a beautiful Chinna Katha (story) our beloved Bhagwan often narrates to show how human effort is necessary for even divine grace. Bhagvan has often said that “Divine grace is like the sun, one should only open one’s heart to receive it.”

But very often man is not ready to accept God’s grace. One day a woodcutter was cutting the same branch on which he was seated. Goddess Parvati in Kailash, was very concerned on seeing the woodcutter. She immediately told Shiva to go and rescue the woodcutter. An argument broke out between them and finally they arrived at a compromise. They agreed that if the woodcutter shouted “APPA” (father) as he fell, Lord Shiva would rescue him. And if he shouted “AMMA” (Mother), Goddess Parvati would rush to his rescue. The divine couple watched on. The inevitable happened and with a fear stricken heart the man shouted.... “AYYOOOO” as he fell on to the ground.

Practice leads to perfection. Unless we practice the Sadhana of Namasmarana in our every day lives, we will be unable to chant the name of God when death knocks at our door. Baba says “God is simple, everything else is complex”. That is why Namasmara is the easiest way to commune with God and to merge in God.

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK

PRACTICE NAMASMARANA (chanting)

Here is a beautiful Chinna Katha (story) our beloved Bhagwan often narrates to show how human effort is necessary for even divine grace. Bhagvan has often said that “Divine grace is like the sun, one should only open one’s heart to receive it.”

But very often man is not ready to accept God’s grace. One day a woodcutter was cutting the same branch on which he was seated. Goddess Parvati in Kailash, was very concerned on seeing the woodcutter. She immediately told Shiva to go and rescue the woodcutter. An argument broke out between them and finally they arrived at a compromise. They agreed that if the woodcutter shouted “APPA” (father) as he fell, Lord Shiva would rescue him. And if he shouted “AMMA” (Mother), Goddess Parvati would rush to his rescue. The divine couple watched on. The inevitable happened and with a fear stricken heart the man shouted.... “AYYOOOO” as he fell on to the ground.

Practice leads to perfection. Unless we practice the Sadhana of Namasmarana in our every day lives, we will be unable to chant the name of God when death knocks at our door. Baba says “God is simple, everything else is complex”. That is why Namasmara is the easiest way to commune with God and to merge in God.
Though it is a known one to many, I am thankful and grateful to you for having
brought it over here to kindle the mind of people and impress about the significance of Namasmaran.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Good ones - Namasmaran

Namasmaran really helps one to maintain and improve the mental and
physical state. Continuous repetition of Nama of God can be done
at any time, preferably at a place where no disturbance takes place,
and it can be done any number of times silently in a soft voice. Women
can do it even while cooking. The principle underlying the Namasmaran
is to reorient one's physiological status from our true self.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Story of the week!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK
FIFTY YEARS OF POLITENESS!

An elderly couple celebrated their golden anniversary after fifty years of marriage. While eating breakfast together, the woman thought, “For fifty years I’ve always been considerate to my husband and have always given him the crusty top of the breakfast roll. Today I want finally to enjoy this delicacy for myself” She spread the top part with butter and gave the other part to her husband. Contrary to her expectations, he was very pleased, kissed her hand and said, “My darling, you’ve just given me the greatest joy of the day. For over fifty years I haven’t eaten the bottom part of the roll, which is the part I like best. I always thought you should have it because you like it so much.” Perhaps, that was the secret of fifty happy years together: consideration for the other!

Why grown up people generally have the tendency to have remembrance
of bad events than the good ones because such incidents make an
unforgettable impact in their life. Whilst it is nice to see from the
children that they remember the good ones and recollect to their parents.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear All,

Think & Decide

[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]In 1923, eight of the wealthiest people in the world met. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Their combined wealth, it is estimated, exceeded the wealth of [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]the government of the United States at that time. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]These men certainly knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth.

But let's examine what happened to them 25 years later.

1. President of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab,
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]lived on borrowed capital for five years before he died bankrupt.

2. President of the largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.

3. One of the greatest commodity traders, Arthur Cutton, died insolvent.

4. President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney,
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]was sent to jail.

5. A member of the President's Cabinet, Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail
[/FONT]to go home and die in peace.
6. The greatest "bear" on Wall Street, Jessie Livermore, committed suicide.

7. President of the world's greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger,
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]committed suicide.

8. President of the Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser,
[/FONT]committed suicide.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]What they forgot was how to make a life! [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Money in itself is not evil! [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Money provides food for the hungry, medicine for the sick, [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]clothes for the needy. Money is only a medium of exchange. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]We need two kinds of education. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]One that teaches us how to make a living and [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]one that teaches us how to live. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]There are people who are so engrossed in their professional life that they
neglect their family, health and social responsibilities.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]If asked why they do this they would reply that [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]they were doing it for their family.

Our kids are sleeping when we leave home.
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]They are sleeping when we come home. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Twenty years later, we'll turn back, and they'll all be gone. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Without water, a ship cannot move. The ship needs water, [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]but if the water gets into the ship, the ship will face problems. [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]What was once a means of living for the ship will now [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]become a means of destruction. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]Similarly we live in a time where earning is a necessity [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]but let not the earning enter our hearts, [/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]for what was once a means of living will be become a means of destruction.

Friends, take a moment and ask yourself....[/FONT]
[FONT=tahoma, sans-serif]has water entered my ship?
[/FONT]

Dont think too much.Just enjoy the every movement of life.

[FONT='times new roman', 'new york', times, serif]
[/FONT]

Dear All,

Think & Decide

In 1923, eight of the wealthiest people in the world met.
Their combined wealth, it is estimated, exceeded the wealth of
the government of the United States at that time.
These men certainly knew how to make a living and accumulate wealth.

But let's examine what happened to them 25 years later.

1. President of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab,

lived on borrowed capital for five years before he died bankrupt.

2. President of the largest gas company, Howard Hubson, went insane.

3. One of the greatest commodity traders, Arthur Cutton, died insolvent.

4. President of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Whitney,

was sent to jail.

5. A member of the President's Cabinet, Albert Fall, was pardoned from jail
to go home and die in peace.

6. The greatest "bear" on Wall Street, Jessie Livermore, committed suicide.

7. President of the world's greatest monopoly, Ivar Krueger,

committed suicide.

8. President of the Bank of International Settlement, Leon Fraser,
committed suicide.

What they forgot was how to make a life!
Money in itself is not evil!
Money provides food for the hungry, medicine for the sick,
clothes for the needy. Money is only a medium of exchange.

We need two kinds of education.
One that teaches us how to make a living and
one that teaches us how to live.

There are people who are so engrossed in their professional life that they
neglect their family, health and social responsibilities.

If asked why they do this they would reply that
they were doing it for their family.

Our kids are sleeping when we leave home.

They are sleeping when we come home.
Twenty years later, we'll turn back, and they'll all be gone.

Without water, a ship cannot move. The ship needs water,
but if the water gets into the ship, the ship will face problems.
What was once a means of living for the ship will now
become a means of destruction.

Similarly we live in a time where earning is a necessity
but let not the earning enter our hearts,
for what was once a means of living will be become a means of destruction.

Friends, take a moment and ask yourself....

has water entered my ship?

Dont think too much.Just enjoy the every movement of life.

[FONT='times new roman', 'new york', times, serif]
[/FONT]

Hats off to you Sir. Excellent quote. Will the above happen to our Indian leaders
or politicians!!

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

A beautiful letter from father to his Children.

Beautiful letter written by a father cum Child Psychologist.

This applies to both daughters and sons. Use this to teach your own children. The words are actually applicable to all of us, young or old, children or parents.!

Dear Son,

I am writing this to you because of 3 reasons.

1. Life, fortune and mishaps are unpredictable, nobody knows how long it lives. Some words are better said early.

2. I am your father, and if I don't tell you these, no one else will.

3. What is written is my own personal bitter experiences that perhaps could save you a lot of unnecessary heartaches.

Remember the following as you go through life.

1. Do not bear grudge towards those who are not good to you. No one has the responsibility of treating you well, except your mother and I.

To those who are good to you, you have to treasure it and be thankful, and ALSO you have to be cautious, because, everyone has a motive for every move. When a person is good to you, it does not mean he really likes you. You have to be careful, don't hastily regard him as a real friend.

2. No one is indispensable, nothing in the world that you must possess.

Once you understand this idea, it would be easier for you to go through life.

3. Life is short. When you waste your life today, tomorrow you would find that life is leaving you. The earlier you treasure your life, the better you enjoy life.

4. Love is but a transient feeling, and this feeling would fade with time and with one's mood. Don't over exaggerate the beauty and sweetness of love, and don't over exaggerate the sadness of falling out of love.

5. A lot of successful people did not receive a good education, that does not mean that you cannot be successful by not studying hard! Whatever knowledge you gain is your weapon in life. One can go from rags to riches, but one has to start from some rags!

6. I do not expect you to financially support me when I am old, neither would I financially support your whole life. My responsibility as a supporter ends when you are grown up. After that, you decide whether you want to travel in a public transport or in your limousine, whether rich or poor.

7. You honor your words, but don't expect others to be so. You can be good to people, but don't expect people to be good to you. If you don't understand this, you would end up with unnecessary troubles.

8. I have bought lotteries for umpteen years, but I never strike any prize. That shows if you want to be rich, you have to work hard! There is no free lunch!

9. No matter how little time I have with you, let's treasure the time we have together.

Your Loving Father

What confucius did not say.......

[FONT=arial black, sans-serif]CONFUCIUS DID NOT SAY...[/FONT]

Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.

Passionate kiss, like spider web, leads to undoing of fly.

Better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Lady who goes camping must beware of evil intent.

Squirrel who runs up woman's leg will not find nuts.

Man who leaps off cliff jumps to conclusion.

Man who eats many prunes get good run for money.

War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left.

Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

It takes many nails to build a crib, but one screw to fill it.

Man who drives like hell is bound to get there.

Man who stands on toilet is high on pot.

Man who live in glass house should change clothes in basement.

Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

Finally. . .

"A lion will not cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood!"

Story of the week!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK
GET YOURSELF OUT OF THE WAY!

A woodcarver had just finished work on a statue of Saraswati. Everyone who saw it marvelled, for it seemed to be the work of the spirits. When the King saw it, he asked, “What sort of genius is yours that you could make such a thing?” The woodcarver replied, “Sir, I am only a simple workman. I am no genius. But there is one thing. When I am going to make a statue I meditate for three days to calm my mind. When I have meditated for three days I think no more about rewards or emoluments. When I have meditated for five days I no longer think of praise or blame, skillfulness or awkwardness. When I have meditated for seven days I suddenly forget my limbs, my body. I forget my very self. I lose consciousness of the court and my surroundings. Only my skill remains. In that state I walk into the forest and examine each tree until I find one in which I see the statue in all its perfection. Then my hands go to the task. Having set my self aside, nature meets nature in the work that is performed through me. This, no doubt is the reason why everyone says that the finished product is the work of the spirit.” An artist has to be so involved and committed to his work that he forgets himself. It is then that the art becomes a creation! A work of the spirit! A work of God! Said a world famous violinist about his success in playing Beethoven's Violin, “I have splendid music, a splendid violin and a splendid bow. All I need to do is bring them together and get out of the way.”

Sir the story and the moral is very fine. Lord Krishna sets himself an example of how a karmayogi should be. As a sarathi he takes care of the horse as if a sarathi does; like feeding, cleaning, bathing making the horse drinking and all chores. He protects Arjuna from all the negative effects of asthras sent by the gouravas. After the battle was over it is customary that the sarathy keeps the hands for the warriors (Maharadhas) to jump from the chariot. After Dharma, Bhima, Arjuna was expecting his turn and was thininking that he will have the opportunity to alight through krishna's hands but krishna smiled at him and told him to alight first by jumping from the chariot on his own. After krishna alighted from the chariot the chariot blown in to pieces and krishna smiled at Arjuna and told him that all the effect of asthras could not do any harm till krishna was in the chariot and the moment he got down all the asthras gained its momentam and the chariot burst in to pieces but for this he told Arjuna to alight first. As a karmayogi he protected his master from all the problems and ill effects.

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK

GET YOURSELF OUT OF THE WAY!

A woodcarver had just finished work on a statue of Saraswati. Everyone who saw it marvelled, for it seemed to be the work of the spirits. When the King saw it, he asked, “What sort of genius is yours that you could make such a thing?” The woodcarver replied, “Sir, I am only a simple workman. I am no genius. But there is one thing. When I am going to make a statue I meditate for three days to calm my mind. When I have meditated for three days I think no more about rewards or emoluments. When I have meditated for five days I no longer think of praise or blame, skillfulness or awkwardness. When I have meditated for seven days I suddenly forget my limbs, my body. I forget my very self. I lose consciousness of the court and my surroundings. Only my skill remains. In that state I walk into the forest and examine each tree until I find one in which I see the statue in all its perfection. Then my hands go to the task. Having set my self aside, nature meets nature in the work that is performed through me. This, no doubt is the reason why everyone says that the finished product is the work of the spirit.” An artist has to be so involved and committed to his work that he forgets himself. It is then that the art becomes a creation! A work of the spirit! A work of God! Said a world famous violinist about his success in playing Beethoven's Violin, “I have splendid music, a splendid violin and a splendid bow. All I need to do is bring them together and get out of the way.”

Really nice. Thank you Sir.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Who is smart!!!!

There was a farmer who grew watermelons. He was doing pretty well, but he was disturbed by some local kids who would sneak into his watermelon patch at night and eat his watermelons.

After some careful thought, he came up with a clever idea that he thought would scare the kids away for sure.
He made up a sign and posted it in the field. The next night, the kids showed up and they saw the sign which read, "Warning! One of the watermelons in this field has been injected with cyanide."

The kids ran off, made up their own sign and posted it next to the farmer's sign. When the farmer returned, he surveyed the field. He noticed that no watermelons were missing, but the sign next to his read, "Now there are two!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back