• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Good ones (usually liked by everyone to ponder/view upon)!

DID YOU FIND THIS POST USEFUL

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Budha - Stop Giving and Taking Sorrow...

image001.jpg

Story of the week!!!!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK​
TEST OF QUALITY​

A company, dealing in dog food, was holding its annual sales convention. The sales personnel were brimming with ideas. The advertising director introduced a point-of-sales scheme that would revolutionize the industry. The sale director extolled the virtues of the best sales force in the business. Finally it was time for the president to go to the podium and make his closing remarks. “Over the past few days”, he began, “We’ve heard from all our division heads, their wonderful plans for the coming years. Now that we draw to close, I have only one question. If we have the best advertising, the best marketing strategy and the best sales force, how come we sell less dog food than anyone else in the business?” There was pin-drop silence in the convention hall. Finally, after what seemed like forever, a weak voice answered from the back of the room, “Because dogs hate it!” Don’t overlook the obvious. See the underlying cause from every angle.

If you have difficulty in understanding the current world financial situation, the following should help...Once upon a time in a village in India, a man announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for Rs.100. The villagers seeing there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them.
The man bought thousands at Rs.100, but, as the supply started to
diminish, the villagers stopped their efforts. The man further announced that he would now buy at Rs.200. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkey’s again. Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to Rs.250 and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch it!
The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at Rs.500/! However, since he
had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now act as buyer, on his behalf. In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers: 'Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them
to you at Rs.350 and when he returns from the city, you can sell them back to
him for Rs.500. The villagers squeezed together their savings and bought all the monkeys. Then they never saw the man or his assistant again, only monkeys everywhere!

Cheers!!!

Thank you Mr ManoharKumar for the monkey story. Indeed this is the momentum theory of stock market valuation; also known as the greater fool theory. The theory goes that you can pay any price for an asset as long as you can find a greater fool who will later pay a higher price for it. All bubbles are inflated this way, until they ultimately burst.

Web site for medicine - Very IMP

I only hope that this would be very useful message for one all & also hope that everybody would gain by this.

1. Log on to [url]www.medguideindia.com[/URL]

2. Click on 'Drugs'

3. Click on 'Brand'

4. Type the brand name which you are using (e. g. Metocard XL (50 mg). The site will also help you with drop down menu) & Click on 'Search'

5. Click on 'Generics'. It will display the ingredients of the tablet.

6. Click on 'matched brands'

7. Don't be surprised to see that same drug is available at very low cost also. And that to by other reputed manufacturer.

e. g. Metocard XL 50 is for Rs. 62.00 & same drug by Cipla (Mepol) is available ONLY @ Rs. 7.00

Dear Shri Subramanian,

While browsing the Forum today, I have accidentally come across your posts. I just had a cursory look of your book on "Hinduism". It is excellent and I could not refrain from downloading it. Many thanks and I look forward to many good articles on various other issues/subjects.

KR SUBRAHMANYAM
Secunderabad

Just Laugh it out!!!! (laughter is the best medicine)

Lady : Is this my train?
Station Master : No, it belongs to the Railway Company.
Lady : Don't try to be funny. I mean to ask if I can take this train to New Delhi.
Station Master : No Madam, I'm afraid it's too heavy.
~~~~~~
A drunkard was brought to court.
Just before the trial there was a commotion in the gallery.
The judge pounded the gravel on his table and shouted, "Order, order."
The drunkard immediately responded, "Thank you, your honor, I'll have a scotch and soda."
~~~~~~~
Customer:Waiter, is this a lamb chop or pork chop?
Waiter:Can't you tell the difference by taste?
Customer:No, I can't.
Waiter:Then does it really matter?
~~~~~~
Customer:Waiter, there's a dead beetle in my soup.
Waiter:Yes sir, they are not very good swimmers.
~~~~~~
Customer:Waiter, there's a fly in my soup.
Waiter:That' s all right sir, he won't drink much.
~~~~~~
Waiter: I've stewed liver, boiled tongue and frog's leg.
Customer: Don't tell me your problems. Give the menu card.
~~~~~~~~~
Customer:Waiter, there's a fly swimming in my soup.
Waiter: So what do you expect me to do, call a lifeguard?
~~~~~~~
Customer :Waiter, what's the meaning of this fly in my tea up?
Waiter :I wouldn't know sir, I'm a waiter, not a fortune teller.
~~~~~~~
1st thief :Oh ! The police is here. Quick! Jump out of the window!
2nd thief:But this is the 13th floor.
1st thief :Hurry! this is no time for superstitions.
~~~~~~~~
Man: How old is your father?
Boy: As old as me.
Man : How can that be?
Boy: He became a father only when I was born.
~~~~~~~~~
Customer:Waiter, this soup tastes funny.
Waiter: Funny? But then why aren't you laughing?
~~~~~~~
Teacher : Peter, why are you late for school again?
Peter: Well, Miss, I dreamed that I was playing football and the game went into extra time.
~~~~~~~
Girl : Do you love me?
Boy:Yes Dear.
Girl: Would you die for me?
Boy :No, mine is undying love.
~~~~~~~~

A - Z of Weight Loss.

I presume this should be useful to everyone in some way or other.

A-Z OF WEIGHT LOSS

Dietician Neesha Bukht brings you the ABCs of staying slim.

A
AVOID ALCOHOL
: You booze, you lose! Alcohol increases your levels of the hormone leptin, which in turn makes you crave sweets.Don’t want to be branded a teetotaller? Order a glass of Sauvignon Blanc – 119 cals per 5 ounces.

B
BREAKFAST
: A good breakfast with fibre and protein will keep you full till lunchtime and help you avoid bingeing. Opt for multi-grain cereal, lowfat curd or fruits to kick-start your metabolism.

C
CORTISOL
: Prolonged stress leads to high levels of cortisol which makes you crave junk foods. Solution: deal with long-standing stressors. As for short-lived ones, treat yourself to an oil massage.

D
DENSITY
: Go for grub with an energy density of two or less. To calculate this, simply divide the calories by the weight in grams (per serving). Stay at it and watch the pounds melt faster.

E
EAT AT REGULAR INTERVALS
: Go no longer than five hours between meals. Several small meals through the day lead to a better metabolism and greater control over binges.

F
FRUCTOSE
: Ditch the artificially sweetened juices and sodas and get your fructose from natural sources such as fruits. Because natural fructose is kinder to your waistline.

G
GUM
: Chewing on gum helps cleanse the mouth of bacteria, satisfies a sweet-tooth and reduces your urge to eat. The next time you feel the urge to reach for a biscuit packet, try a piece of sugarless gum instead for a zero-calorie treat.

H
HEART-HEALTHY FOODS
: Overweight people face a greater risk of heart disease. So, switch to olive and vegetable oils. Fill up on omega rich foods like walnuts and fatty fish. Choose non-fat dairy products and lean cuts of mutton and skinless poultry.

I
INSULIN
: The amount of insulin you secrete may dictate your diet. High insulin secretors shed more weight on a low-carb diet and less on a lowfat/high carb diet. Got a jelly belly? You secrete excess insulin and could benefit from fewer carbs.

J
JOURNAL
: Write down everything you eat and you could cut your intake by 1,000 calories a day. Food journaling may seem boring but goes a long way in making you aware of what you eat and thereby helps you shed pounds.

K
KETOSIS
: Ketosis refers to the point where your body runs low on carbs and burns fat for fuel. Therefore, ketosis jump-starts a diet. Restrict carbs and lose more initially. Later, allow yourself wholegrain cereals and roti, in moderation.

L
LOW BLOOD SUGAR
: This is often the reason for between-meal cravings especially for sweet. When it strikes, reach for naturally sweet foods such as fruits and accompany it with a little low-fat dahi for a healthy dose of protein.

M
MILK
: Get better results from your workout by downing milk. Two cups of skim milk after intense weightlifting can build more muscle and burn twice as much fat as drinking fruit juice. But go with real cow's milk as it’s more beneficial than soya milk.

N
NUMBERS
: Nobody enjoys weigh-ins, but people who hop on the scale once a day are more likely to lose and maintain their loss. Make a standing appointment for yourself. But try to strike a balance rather than obsess over the number you see.

O
OMLETTE
: Eggs are an ideal protein source. Protein helps build muscle, which will fry more calories per pound than fat. Bonus: You burn about 25 per cent of the eggs' calories just by digesting them.

P
PEANUTS = PROTEIN
: Take the edge off your appetite by snacking on a handful of peanuts everyday. Because, protein is the "secret" to weight control. Peanuts also boost your resting metabolic rate due to their fatty acid content.

Q:
[SUP]Q[/SUP]
[SUP] 10 [/SUP]
Coenzyme Q10 is one of the nutrients needed to produce energy. Most people an energy - mg a day. Other benefits include a stronger immune system. Besides, it's also a great antioxidant.

R
REPLACEMENTS
: Replace any silly weight loss pills you have been advised to take, with a good low fat smoothie.You will lose just as much weight without the side-effects of a pill.

S
SLIP-UPS
: Slip-ups are bound to happen.Anticipate them. Instead of letting them derail your efforts, learn from them and get right back on track by simply keeping your eye on your target.

T
TEA
: The fat-busting benefits of green tea boil down to disease-fighting compounds called catechins. Max your results by steeping your tea for longer. The darker the hue of your brew, the more catechin-rich the cup.Add some lime to tone down the bitterness.

U
USER-FRIENDLY
: There are a million fad diets around; your friends are probably trying some too. But what helps you lose weight isn't the type of diet but compliance with it. Find a plan you can live with so you'll stick to it.

V
VINEGAR
: Studies show that consuming 4 tbsp of a vinegar mixture with a high-carb diet drops your calorie intake by 275 per day. If you can't stomach vinegar, mix into a low-fat dressing to add zing to your salad.

W
WATER
: It quenches thirst without the calories. Infact, water also ups your caloric burn rate. Sipping six extra 8-ounce glasses a day can burn 17,400 more calories (about 5 pounds of fat) per year.

X
XYLITOL
: Xylitol is a natural substance found in vegetables that tastes and looks just like sugar. But while sugar harms, xylitol protects against disease and has anti-ageing benefits. In its crystalline form, it can replace sugar in cooking.

Y
YOGA
: Normal-weight women who practise yoga for four or more years will gain three pounds less over 10 years than those who don't. Grab your mat and get breathing!

Z
[SUP]Zs [/SUP]
When you skimp on sleep, your brain thinks you're low on fuel and sends a message to your stomach to start growling.Women who sleep for 5 hours or less are an average of 5 pounds heavier than women who snoozed for 7 hours.Want to stay slim? Hit the pillow.

(Neesha Maria Bukht is a registered dietician and is a trainer attached to Talwalkar’s, Bandra)

SOURCE : A-Z of weight loss - The Times of India

Hi!! Handsome my name is Rose.

The first day of university our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.
I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that lit up her entire being..

She said, 'Hi handsome. My name is Rose. I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?'
I laughed and enthusiastically responded, 'Of course you may!' and she gave me a giant squeeze..
'Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?' I asked.

She jokingly replied, 'I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, and have a couple of kids....'

'No seriously,' I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age.

'I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!' she told me.

After class we walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake.

We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk non stop. I was always mesmerized listening to this 'time machine' as she shared her wisdom and experience with me..

Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she revealed in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.

At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us.. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor.

Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, 'I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know.'

As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, ' We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing..

There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humour every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.

We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it!

There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.

If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight.

Anybody! Can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets..'

She concluded her speech by courageously singing 'The Rose.'

She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those months ago.

One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep.

Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.

When you finish reading this, please send this peaceful word of advice to your friends and family, they'll really enjoy it!

These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

A hen and her 3 little chickens were trying to cross a
busy highway. After great efforts they all managed to
cross it. One of the little ones yells out
happily-"Wow....after so much efforts, all 5 of us
managed to cross"....

Qn. Why does the little one say "all 5 of us" ????

Think a little bit & & . Its easy

Marvellous Answer

A mechanic was removing the cylinder heads from the motor of a car when he spotted the famous heart surgeon in his shop, who was standing off to the side, waiting for the service manager to come to take a look at his car.
The mechanic shouted across the garage,” Hello Doctor!! Please come over here for a minute." The famous surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic.
The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked argumentatively, "So doctor, look at this. I also open hearts, take valves out, grind 'em, put in new parts, and when I finish this will work as a new one.
So how come you get the big money, when you and me is doing basically the same work? "The doctor leaned over and whispered to the mechanic...................

"Try to do it when the engine is running ".

One Early morning a mother went to her sleeping son and woke him up.
MOM : "Wake up, son. It's time to go to school."
SON : "But why, Mama? I don't want to go to school."
MOM : "Give me two reasons why you don't want to go to school."
SON : "One, all the children hate me. Two, all the teachers hate me."
MOM : "Oh! that's not a reason. Come on, you have to go to school."
SON : "Give me two good reasons WHY I *should* go to school?"
MOM :
One, you are FIFTY-TWO years old and should understand your
responsibilities.
Two, you are the PRINCIPAL of the school.

Fear Factor - An interesting Article - The Economic Times

Fear Factor - An interesting Article - The Economic Times
I am a senior manager who has been given a mandate to reduce my workforce. I have to choose the employees to be fired from my team this week. No matter what I tell them, they will feel hurt and curse me for wreaking havoc on their families and their careers. How do I deal with this guilt and make it less painful for all of us

In the Mahabharata, when the Pandava brothers inherit a forest, Khandava-prastha, and want to build on it a great city, named Indra-prastha, the city of Indra, Krishna says, "Then burn the forest. Set aflame every plant, every animal, every bird and every bee. Offer them to agni. "When the Pandavas express their horror at the suggestion, Krishna says, "Then do not dream of a city."

Hunger (bhook) demands food (bhog).Consumption demands sacrifice (bali). Sacrifice has consequences (karma).This is the bitter pill of life that a leader has to swallow if he wants to build Indra-prastha.

If the company is not doing well, if the revenue is not up to the mark, if the profits are not as expected, the costs will be cut. It is terrible that the situation has now reached a point that people have to lose jobs. It will be painful. There will be no escape.

The pain is not so much the loss of a job, but the impact that has on self-image, self-worth and self-esteem of the person losing the job. For it makes the person feel he is less worthy and less competent than those whose jobs were not cut. He will feel he is lowest in the pecking order. The psychological impact is terrible. So as senior manager, it is important to ensure that while you break the contract, you do not destroy their relationship with you. You have to ensure the dignity of the men and women concerned are maintained, remind them that the job is cut not because they are inferior but because things are just not working out with the company. Avoid the inhuman pink-slip practices common in many multinational companies where a person is consciously humiliated by being escorted out by security personnel and asked to collect their belongings at the gate.

The Vedic scriptures say that every person has three bodies: the physical body (sthula sharira),the mental body (sukshma sharira) and the social body (karana sharira).The physical body is what we see, the mental body is what we imagine ourselves to be and the social body is our location in society and organisation. When a person is being fired, the social body is dying but like old clothes discarded, it will be replaced by a new body. You as senior manager have to ensure that the death of the social body does not kill the mental body.

Your guilt is rooted in your own fear. The idea that you too could well be at the receiving end of such a gesture terrifies you. The consumer fears being consumed. You see this task as a burden you have to bear as a senior manager of the company. You do not see it as a necessary act for the good of the company with an unfortunate consequence. You see yourself as a victim of an organisational demand and a villain in the eyes of your team. But these are mental images that we construct in fear. In fear,the rest of your team will work harder, terrified that they will be next. This is unavoidable. In crisis, fear grips organisations. As senior manager, you have to acknowledge this fear, clarify what is and what is not in your control or influence, and avoid sweeping emotions under the carpet.

The author is the Chief Belief Officer of the Future Group. He can be reached at
[email protected]

Story of the Week!!

KINDLE MY LIGHT

Once, a monk and his disciple went on a long journey. All through the journey the monk was smiling at each and everyone, in the market place, at the bus stand, shopping complex, railway station, etc.

When they reached their destination, the disciple asked the monk, “Why were you smiling at everyone, as if they were your friends or known to you?”

“I may see them only once in my life, so I wanted to do my first and last work,” the wise monk replied, “I tried to kindle my light in them.”

Everybody has the light, but very few hand it over.

AS IT CAME TO ME...

Oh, those three little words

I mentioned the other day that my wife and I just celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary. Yay! Now, I might be biased but I think this has been a spectacularly successful collaboration and I hope that my wife would agree. I do know that one time she told me that she thought we
were doing so well because "we say those three little words to one another."

"Oh, you mean, 'I love you,'" I replied, while my mental computer started frantically searching for the last time I had told her that (I knew her mental computer could spit out time, date, ambient temperature and what she was wearing).

"No," she said, "not those three words. I mean the three words, 'I was wrong.' It's because we've been, if not exactly willing, at least able to come to each other and say that when necessary.""

Cheers!!

I only wish that every couple has that courage to accept that very moment to say I was wrong I feel then there would be no requirement of court for divorcing.

It is a pleasant anecdote to be shared with everyone in this forum & every-other forum.

My best wishes to you both that you keep celebrating the wedding anniversary; and it would be my pleasure to wish you both the same every year.

AS IT CAME TO ME...

Oh, those three little words

I mentioned the other day that my wife and I just celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary. Yay! Now, I might be biased but I think this has been a spectacularly successful collaboration and I hope that my wife would agree. I do know that one time she told me that she thought we
were doing so well because "we say those three little words to one another."

"Oh, you mean, 'I love you,'" I replied, while my mental computer started frantically searching for the last time I had told her that (I knew her mental computer could spit out time, date, ambient temperature and what she was wearing).

"No," she said, "not those three words. I mean the three words, 'I was wrong.' It's because we've been, if not exactly willing, at least able to come to each other and say that when necessary.""

Cheers!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK

LOVE AND DISORDER!

A man offered to pay a sum of money to his twelve year old daughter if she mowed the lawn. The girl went at the task with great zest and by evening the whole lawn had been beautifully mowed. Well, everything except a large uncut patch of grass in one corner.

When the man said he couldn’t pay the sum agreed upon because the whole lawn hadn’t been mowed, the girl said she was ready to forego the money, but would not cut the grass on the patch.

Curious to find out why, he checked the uncut patch. There, right in the centre of the patch, sat a large toad. The girl had been too tender-hearted to run over it with the lawn-mower.

Where there is love, there is some element of disorder.
Perfect order would make the world a grave yard.

Prefer love and care, to disorder. Take time to spend time with your loved ones even if there is dust lying on the shelf and the beds are not made. Prefer people, to things!

Story of the Week!!

STORY-OF-THE-WEEK

NEVER MISS THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY

A young man wished to marry the farmer’s beautiful daughter. He went to the farmer to ask for her. The farmer looked at him and said, “Son, go stand out in that field. I’m going to release three bulls, one at a time. If you can catch the tail of any one of the three bulls, you can marry my daughter.”

The young man stood in the pasture awaiting the first bull. The barn door opened and out ran the biggest, meanest-looking bull he had ever seen. He decided that one of the next bulls had to be a better choice than this one, so he ran over to the side and let the bull pass through the pasture out of the back gate.

The barn door opened a second time and out came charging another menacing bull that breathed fury. The young fellow took cover behind the gate once more.

The door opened a third time. A smile came across his face. This was the weakest, scrawniest little bull he had ever seen. This one was his bull. As the bull came running by, he positioned himself just right and jumped at just the exact moment. He grabbed, but the bull had no tail!

Life is full of opportunities. Some will be easy to take advantage of, some will be difficult. But once we let them pass (Often in hopes of something better), those opportunities may never again be available. So always grab the first opportunity!

I appreciate the yoga guide is helpful..I was fed up of watching Ramdev baba in every yoga video..

Let us learn to discover beauty in every person we meet!

Thomas, an eight-year-old boy, sickly and partially deaf, was far behind his classmates in academics. The teachers were unhappy with him because he was slow to pick up the subjects and his classmates made fun of him.

Thomas lived in an unkind world. But he had a mother who was happy to be with him. A mother who would sit with him each evening at the kitchen counter and listen to how bad his day had been.

One day, Thomas came home with a letter from the headmaster of his school. He was expelled because his learning ability was too poor.

His mother did not fuss much about the letter. She knew he was slower than most others, but she believed Thomas could learn if lessons were taught to him with love.

She worked on teaching him herself at home. It began to work. Soon Thomas started inventing several new things; a lot of them were unworkable in the beginning.

When Thomas finally died, the whole nation of the United States of America honoured him by switching off the lights throughout the entire country for one minute.

This is the Thomas whom his headmaster expelled from school because his brain worked slower; the one whose classmates laughed at.

This Thomas was Thomas Alva Edison, inventor of the light bulb and phonograph. He was, in fact, one of the most prolific inventors of the 20th century holding a record 1,093 patents in his name.

The teasing classmates were part of those who honoured Edison when America turned its lights off to commemorate his death.

There is something beautiful about every creature of God, and particularly so about every human being. Who are we to criticise a person created in the image and likeness of God? Let us learn to discover beauty in every person we meet!

exterior.jpg

The Taj hotel group had invited Mr. Masai Imai from Japan to hold a workshop for its staff.

The staf were very skeptical - the hotel is doing excellent business, this person from Japan has no exposure to hotel industry - what exactly is he going to teach?

But everybody gathered as planned for the workshop in the conference hall sharp at 9 am.

Mr. Masai was introduced to them - a not so impressive personality, nor the English all that good; spoke as if he was first formulating each sentence in Japanese and then translating it into rather clumsy English.

"Good morning! Let's start work. I am told this is a workshop; but I see neither work nor shop. So let's proceed where work is happening. Let's start with the first room on the first floor."

Mr. Masai, followed by the senior management, the participants, the video camera crew trouped out of the conference room and proceeded to the destination.

That happened to be the laundry room of the hotel. Mr. Masai entered the room and stood at the window, "beautiful view!" he said.

The staff knew it; they need not invite a Japanese consultant to tell them this! "A room with such a beautiful view is being wasted as a laundry room. Shift the laundry to the basement and convert this into a guest room."

Aa Haa! Now nobody had ever thought about that!

The manager said, "Yes, it can be done."

"Then let's do it," Mr. Masai said.

"Yes sir, I will make a note of this and we will include it in the report on the workshop that will be prepared." Manager

"Excuse me, but there is nothing to note down in this. Let's just do it, just now." Mr. Masai.

"Just now?" Manager

"Yes, decide on a room on the ground floor/basement and shift the stuff out of this room right away. It should take a couple of hours, right?" asked Mr. Masai.

"Yes." Manager.

"Let's come back here just before lunch. By then all this stuff will have got shifted out and the room must be ready with the carpets, furniture etc. and from today you can start earning the few thousand that you charge your
customers for a night."

"Ok, Sir." The manager had no option.

The next destination was the pantry. The group entered. At the entrance were two huge sinks full of plates to be washed.

Mr. Masai removed his jacket and started washing the plates.

"Sir, Please, what are you doing?" the manager didn't know what to say and what to do.

"Why, I am washing the plates", Mr. Masai.

"But sir, there is staff here to do that." Manager Mr. Masai continued washing, "I think sink is for washing plates, there are stands here to keep the plates and the plates should go into the stands."

All the officials wondered - did they require a consultant to tell them this?

After finishing the job, Mr. Masai asked, "How many plates do you have?' "Plenty, so that there should never be any shortage." answered the Manager.

Mr. Masai said, "We have a word in Japanese -'Muda'. Muda means delay, Muda means unnecessary spending. One lesson to be learned in this workshop is to avoid both. If you have plenty of plates, there will be delay in cleaning them up. The first step to correct this situation is to remove all the excess plates."

"Yes, we will say this in the report." Manager.

"No, wasting our time in writing the report is again an instance of 'Muda'. We must pack the extra plates in a box right away and send these to whichever other section of Taj requires these. Throughout the workshop now
we will find out where all we find this 'Muda' hidden."

And then at every spot and session, the staff eagerly awaited to find out Muda and learn how to avoid it.

On the last day, Mr. Masai told a story.

"A Japanese and an American, both fond of hunting, met in a jungle. They entered deep jungle and suddenly realized that they had run out of bullets. Just then they heard a lion roaring. Both started running. But the Japanese took a short break to put on his sports shoes. The American said, "What are you doing? We must first get to the car."

The Japanese responded, "No. I only have to ensure that I remain ahead of you."

All the participants engrossed in listening to the story, realized suddenly that the lion would stop after getting his victim!

"The lesson is: competition in today's world is so fierce, that it is important to stay ahead of other, even by just a couple of steps. And you have such a huge and naturally well endowed country. If you remember to curtail your production expenditure and give the best quality always, you will be miles ahead as compared to so many other countries in the world.", concluded Mr. Masai.

It is never late to learn........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back