• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Chennai water crisis: When natural causes meet man-made ones

prasad1

As one of India’s largest cities is running out of water for its lakhs of inhabitants, Chennai’s four main reservoirs are at a storage level of less than 1%. According to the Central Water Commission, there is a 41% rainfall deficit this year till mid-June. The Indian Express editorial paints a grim picture –

“Chennai is amongst the 21 Indian cities which the Niti Aayog fears will run out of groundwater by 2020. The city’s water crisis bares a critical challenge for the new Jal Shakti ministry. In the past five years, Chennai’s water supply has consistently fallen short of the city’s requirement.”

Read more at: http://www.sify.com/news/chennai-wa...man-made-ones-news-columns-tgzpqsccbigjb.html

at least the gvt can close down coco cola & pepsi etc such water based industries for 3,4 months till the water availabliity increases by rain. the water used in them can be diverted to much needed purpose

at least the gvt can close down coco cola & pepsi etc such water based industries for 3,4 months till the water availabliity increases by rain. the water used in them can be diverted to much needed purpose

What happens when Coca cola mix is mixed in water and carbonated? Does water evaporate? Yes, bottling process consumes water in cleaning the bottle, that is minuscule.
What about beer and alcohol products, and what about Limca and local soda? How much water will it save? and what will people drink instead?
Let us come up with workable meaningful solutions, instead of harebrained ideas which do nothing.
The people in this forum were not born yesterday, they have some reasoning.

If people stopped washing clothes and taking showers the water wastage may be reduced but hygiene is equally important. Stop washing cars, and watering your garden might be a better suggestion.

Or creating more water harvesting should be undertaken.

Last edited:
Coca cola, beer, and other sugary drinks are injurious to your health and wallet.
Instead, people should drink water (pure), which is good for you.
I do not believe that Coca Cola is causing the water shortage, that is misinformation.

Varanasi villagers, which are located in Mehdiganj area claimed, they have been facing water shortage problem since 1999 when the Coca Cola plant began operations.Amit Srivastava who supports village council heads represent the voice of people and they also declared Coca Cola is not welcome in Mehdiganj area. Also, it is time to pack up of this company and leave this area.
Moreover, Coca Cola is responsible user of water at international level. But in India, it exploits groundwater which is harmful for women, children and farmers. But Coca Cola mines water shortage area for more profit. This company uses some groundwater sources for their production needs.

Mr. Srivastava also said that 18 village councils had been written to State Pollution Control Board which granted license to Coca Cola Company. He also pointed the Central Ground Water Authority about recently data releasing.
The Central Ground Water Board observed that this depletion was not due to withdrawal of ground water by Hindustan Coca-Cola Beverages Pvt. Ltd. The report mentioned about clear trend of water depletion in seven blocks of Varanasi area.

Last edited:
no doubt Govt has to plan aggressively. during last flood people cried at rain to stop. the very next year water scarcity !!! how can it be??. something is radicaly wrong and gross rank inefficiency . The Govt's mismanagement and who ever were ruling were waste. Out of all the measures to manage water crisis the one idea that came up is to stop producing any beverages hot or soft needing only water as major constituent [except medicinal preparations]... people can definitely live without cococa cola pepsi etc and also without out beer etc etc. the tendency had never been to promote natural drinks like coconut water which apart from being heathy will also boost uo farmer/ villager's economy

Out of all the measures to manage water crisis the one idea that came up is to stop producing any beverages hot or soft needing only water as major constituent [except medicinal preparations]... people can definitely live without cococa cola pepsi etc and also without out beer etc etc. the tendency had never been to promote natural drinks like coconut water which apart from being heathy will also boost uo farmer/ villager's economy

I agree sir and think it is high time, that social activists/Citizen Forums needs to knock the doors of HC to get orders to stop water being diverted to Coca-Cola & Pepsi plants considering the water crisis in that Area.

We need to protest, we need to agitate and we also need to act swiftly. This has happened earlier

India: High court stops water from river in Tamil Nadu being diverted to Coca-Cola & PepsiCo due to water shortages

Link: https://www.business-humanrights.or...d-to-coca-cola-pepsico-due-to-water-shortages

How Coca-Cola came to terms with its own water crisis

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-crisis/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b34d63c41015

The Cola companies are getting the bad rap. I do not drink any sugary drink, and they are not good for you.
But to blame them for water shortage is foolish, shortsighted, mischievous, and politically motivated.

And, finally, loss of wetlands, water bodies

Almost every single city and village in the country has lost its wetlands, water bodies and even rivers to encroachment to meet the needs of rising population.

Chennai that is facing acute water shortage had nearly two dozen water bodies and wetlands but most of them are out of use today. A recent assessment found that only nine of them could be reclaimed as water bodies.

A survey by the Wildlife Institute of India reveals that the country has lost 70 80 per cent of fresh water marshes and lakes in the Gangetic flood plains, the biggest river plain the in the country.

The Standing Committee on Water Resources, which submitted its report to Parliament in December 2015, found that while 92 per cent of the districts in the country had safe level of groundwater development in 1995, it came down to 71 per cent in 2011.

On the other hand, the percentage of districts with overexploited state of groundwater level increased from 3 in 1995 to 15 in 2011. The water security has only worsened since then.

I agree sir and think it is high time, that social activists/Citizen Forums needs to knock the doors of HC to get orders to stop water being diverted to Coca-Cola & Pepsi plants considering the water crisis in that Area.

We need to protest, we need to agitate and we also need to act swiftly. This has happened earlier

India: High court stops water from river in Tamil Nadu being diverted to Coca-Cola & PepsiCo due to water shortages

Link: https://www.business-humanrights.or...d-to-coca-cola-pepsico-due-to-water-shortages

How Coca-Cola came to terms with its own water crisis

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-crisis/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b34d63c41015
thanks. The gvt itself should make a move on this issue and ask the companies to shut off till the situation improves well,even if there is no public forum or an activist come forward to.Govt owes more onus in this regard than some public commoner . It is a common sense to provide water to fufill citizens drinking rather than supplying water to make beverages and to let them thrive in this hour .Even if they have their own water sources if they have any CSR they should stop using to their products but ask the Govt where to deliver that water . Just putting up a board displaying CSR as their vision/mission in their office is meaningless .

thanks. The gvt itself should make a move on this issue and ask the companies to shut off till the situation improves

I agree sir.

It is reported that Coca-cola operates 58 water-intensive bottling plants in India. They are one of the cause for the present water crisis.

Coca-Cola & Pepsi are also responsible for ground water depletion which is one of the cause for present water crisis.

Coca-Cola Charged with Groundwater Depletion and Pollution in India

Coca-Cola bottling plants may be taking groundwater from local villages

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/coca-cola-groundwater-depletion-in-india-1204204

They are drinking the world dry:

Please Read this Report: https://waronwant.org/media/coca-cola-drinking-world-dry

Last edited:
hi

just joke.....how a milk man a lot of water to mix water with milk.?,,,,,due to water scarcity .....still

milkman adding more water in the milk...

hi

i have house thiruvamiyur beach area....we get water 24 hours without problem from borewell..

last 20 yrs...we never had water crisis...little ground water level gone down...still ok..

There is a great need to reuse the recycled domestic waste water either for toilet flushing or for garden. This has to take place at every independent house as well as in multistorey societies. I do recycle my entire domestic waste (including toilet water) water using a simple anerobic and aerobic system with filters. I have built a system myself. Installation of such system in each house will go long way reducing the water requirement.
Anyone who wants to install such system can contact me. Cost of the system for four member family may about 40- 50 K. My mail I'd is : [email protected]

Attachments

• 15619536471123149065497495465640.jpg
    15619536471123149065497495465640.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 309
Hi,
We need to increase the ground water level in Chennai. Mainly all the river, ponds , temple pond need to be cleaned. So that during rain, some water goes to the ground rather than to the sea. Instead of depending on govt, local bodies need to protect their places

I was in chennai couple of days back.

Water shortage it seems are for the masses.

Lawns of houses for ministers get watered.Four/five star hotels are working with water in swimming pools, Hot

cold showers 24/7,Drinking water in plenty in rooms.Only hotel occupancy has dropped.So water in full blast in

rooms.

Not much change on the beach front. No receding rivers.

It was a sunny day . No rains

Nowhere I could sense water shortage. Only notifications of TN govt on water conservation posted in hotels.

Only low grade hotels supplying water supplied by water tankers to consumers for drinking and locals bravely

drinking the same.

I hope there are no outbreak of water borne diseases.

Latest ads

Back