• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Good ones (usually liked by everyone to ponder/view upon)!

DID YOU FIND THIS POST USEFUL

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

Please find attached herewith ANU GITA which is supposed to be second discourse to Arjuna by Lord Krishna; hope our Forum will like the same.

This is being down loaded by me from the INTERNATIONAL GITA SOCIETY also known as AMERICAN GITA SOOCIETY.

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

View attachment AnuGita.doc

Thanks for the post of yours SIGANESWARIE,reading the verse that you had posted has given immense happiness.

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

Dear all,

Some time back on the thread started by Mr. Praveen named Introduce yourself somebody had asked meaning of second verse of Shri Bajagovindam rendered Shri Aadi Shankaracharya, Please find the same attached here for the benefit of all the forum members the meaning of the full Bajagovindam is being attached here.

Curtsy:[FONT=&quot]: Bhaja Govindam of Adi Sankara[/FONT]

Please post your comments.

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

View attachment Baja Govindam of Shri Adi Shankara chrya.doc

Time Management Tips And Tricks

Properly allocating your time is never an easy task, especially if you’ve never been the type to make the most of your time. However, there are a lot of ways in order for you to start up and slowly integrate your whole system into practising effective Time management methods.

Here are a few tips in order for you to successfully initiate your time management skills.

Keys To Successful Time Management

Before you can use some time management strategies in your schedule, there are a few key principles you have to understand first.

You need to be aware of your goals. Having proper awareness of what your goals are will assist you in properly prioritizing your activities for the day. It also helps you to get motivated and avoid distractions in between work.

You also need to develop a flexible schedule for yourself. It must be flexible enough to make sure that if you need to fill in other things aside from your usual schedule, you can still take care of them when you need to.

Tips To Successfully Utilize Your Time

Here are a few tips to successfully utilize your time

1. Examine your old habits and look for ways to change them. – When you learn that your habits are not conducive to proper time management, then it’s about time that you start changing them. Bad habits are usually hard to change but when you’re able to overcome it, the results are rewarding.

2. Put up reminders at home and office about your goals. – Usually when you’re trying to pursue long-term goals, you slowly lose focus on them. Putting reminders everywhere would help you get reoriented with your goals motivating you to strictly follow your schedule.

3. Maintain a list of specific things to be done each day and set a top priority on that list. – Maintaining a list of things to be done everyday is a great way to start on successfully allocating your time properly. A check-list would help you to remember all the things that you need to do for the day and compel you to finish them at the end of the day.

Furthermore making a check-list would definitely help you to become a more responsible person. It is more than just a reminder, but is critical in how you follow that list to see if it effective for you.

4. Concentrate on one thing at a time. – Some people try to do all things at the same time. This happens because people need to do a lot of things but they do not have the luxury of time. Proper time management allows you to concentrate on one task at a time. When you feel that this task is more urgent than the other, then you must first focus on that task before moving on to the next most important task.

When you concentrate only on one task, the time needed to finish the job will significantly lessen giving you more spare time.

5. Enjoy what you are doing – When you enjoy what you are doing, it creates less stress. When you are not stressed, you are more likely to accomplish your tasks within a shorter time frame. Consequently, you will be able to do more in your typical working hours.

6. Continually look at ways of freeing up your time – It is important to try to free your schedule up. Looking for ways to free up your schedule improves the time spent on finishing up your activities. Remember that if you save a few minutes from each activity, and then you sum them all up, you’d realize that you have saved a lot of time.

This message is curtsy of: Business and Career Tips: Time Management Tips And Tricks

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

Some interesting facts.

1. If you are right handed, you will tend to chew your food on your right side. If you are left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.

2. If you stop getting thirsty, you need to drink more water. For when a human body is dehydrated, its thirst mechanism shuts off.

3. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

4. Your tongue is germ free only if it is pink. If it is white there is a thin film of bacteria on it.

5. The Mercedes-Benz motto is “Das Beste oder Nichts” meaning “the best or nothing”.

6. The Titanic was the first ship to use the SOS signal.

7. The pupil of the eye expands as much as 45 percent when a person looks at something pleasing.

8. The average person who stops smoking requires one hour less sleep a night.

9. Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.

10. The roar that we hear when we place a seashell next to our ear is not the ocean, but rather the sound of blood surging through the veins in the ear.

11. Dalmatians are born without spots.

12. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

13. The ‘v’ in the name of a court case does not stand for ‘versus’, but for ‘and’ (in civil proceedings) or ‘against’ (in criminal proceedings).

14. Men’s shirts have the buttons on the right, but women’s shirts have the buttons on the left.

15. The owl is the only bird to drop its upper eyelid to wink. All other birds raise their lower eyelids.

16. The reason honey is so easy to digest is that it’s already been digested by a bee.

17. Roosters cannot crow if they cannot extend their necks.

18. The colour blue has a calming effect. It causes the brain to release calming hormones.

19. Every time you sneeze some of your brain cells die.

20. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.

21. The verb “cleave” is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: adhere and separate.

22. When you blush, the lining of your stomach also turns red.

23. When hippos are upset, their sweat turns red.

24. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle was built in 1903, and used a tomato can for a carburettor.

25. The lion that roars in the MGM logo is named Volney.

26. Google is actually the common name for a number with a million zeros.

27. Switching letters is called spoonerism. For example, saying jag of Flapan, instead of flag of Japan.

28. It cost 7 million dollars to build the Titanic and 200 million to make a film about it.

29. The attachment of the human skin to muscles is what causes dimples.

30. There are 1,792 steps to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

31. The sound you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually the sound of nitrogen gas bubbles bursting.

32. Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.

33. It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.

34. The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

35. Most soccer players run 7 miles in a game.

36. The only part of the body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It takes in

oxygen directly from the air.

37. Every day 200 million couples make love, 400,000 babies are born, and 140,000 people die.

38. In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch (and make it look like it is smiling).

39. Colgate faced big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries. Colgate translates into the command “go hang yourself.”

40. The only 2 animals that can see behind it without turning its head are the rabbit and the parrot.

41. Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

42. The average person laughs 13 times a day.

43. Do you know the names of the three wise monkeys? They are: Mizaru (See no evil), Mikazaru (Hear no evil), and Mazaru (Speak no evil)

44. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

45. German Shepherds bite humans more than any other breed of dog.

46. Large kangaroos cover more than 30 feet with each jump.

47. Whip makes a cracking sound because its tip moves faster than the speed of sound.

48. Two animal rights protesters were protesting at the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn. Suddenly the pigs, all two thousand of them, escaped through a broken fence and stampeded, trampling the two hapless protesters to death.

49. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural cause.

50. The human heart creates enough pressure while pumping to squirt blood 30 feet!!

Presume the above ones are the interesting facts to all of us in some way or other.

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

The story below is very much inspiring and good one to have a long happy married life

A beautiful story...an eye opener...

When I got home that night as my wife served dinner, I held her hand and said, I've got something to tell you. She sat down and ate quietly. Again I observed the hurt in her eyes.
Suddenly I didn't know how to open my mouth. But I had to let her know what I was thinking. I want a divorce. I raised the topic calmly.
She didn't seem to be annoyed by my words, instead she asked me softly, why?
I avoided her question. This made her angry. She threw away the chopsticks and shouted at me, you are not a man! That night, we didn't talk to each other. She was weeping. I knew she wanted to find out what had happened to our marriage. But I could hardly give her a satisfactory answer; she had lost my heart to Dew. I didn't love her anymore. I just pitied her!
With a deep sense of guilt, I drafted a divorce agreement which stated that she could own our house, our car, and 30% stake of my company.
She glanced at it and then tore it into pieces. The woman who had spent ten years of her life with me had become a stranger. I felt sorry for her wasted time, resources and energy but I could not take back what I had said for I loved Dew so dearly. Finally she cried loudly in front of me, which was what I had expected to see. To me her cry was actually a kind of release. The idea of divorce which had obsessed me for several weeks seemed to be firmer and clearer now.
The next day, I came back home very late and found her writing something at the table. I didn't have supper but went straight to sleep and fell asleep very fast because I was tired after an eventful day with Dew.
When I woke up, she was still there at the table writing. I just did not care so I turned over and was asleep again.
In the morning she presented her divorce conditions: she didn't want anything from me, but needed a month's notice before the divorce.
She requested that in that one month we both struggle to live as normal a life as possible. Her reasons were simple: our son had his exams in a month's time and she didn't want to disrupt him with our broken marriage.
This was agreeable to me. But she had something more, she asked me to recall how I had carried her into out bridal room on our wedding day.
She requested that everyday for the month's duration I carry her out of our bedroom to the front door ever morning. I thought she was going crazy. Just to make our last days together bearable I accepted her odd request.
I told Dew about my wife's divorce conditions... She laughed loudly and thought it was absurd. No matter what tricks she applies, she has to face the divorce, she said scornfully.
My wife and I hadn't had any body contact since my divorce intention was explicitly expressed. So when I carried her out on the first day, we both appeared clumsy. Our son clapped behind us, daddy is holding mummy in his arms. His words brought me a sense of pain. From the bedroom to the sitting room, then to the door, I walked over ten meters with her in my arms. She closed her eyes and said softly; don't tell our son about the divorce. I nodded, feeling somewhat upset. I put her down outside the door. She went to wait for the bus to work. I drove alone to the office.
On the second day, both of us acted much more easily. She leaned on my chest. I could smell the fragrance of her blouse. I realized that I hadn't looked at this woman carefully for a long time.. I realized she was not young any more. There were fine wrinkles on her face, her hair was graying! Our marriage had taken its toll on her. For a minute I wondered what I had done to her.
On the fourth day, when I lifted her up, I felt a sense of intimacy returning. This was the woman who had given ten years of her life to me.
On the fifth and sixth day, I realized that our sense of intimacy was growing again. I didn't tell Dew about this. It became easier to carry her as the month slipped by. Perhaps the everyday workout made me stronger.
She was choosing what to wear one morning. She tried on quite a few dresses but could not find a suitable one. Then she sighed, all my dresses have grown bigger. I suddenly realized that she had grown so thin, that was the reason why I could carry her more easily.
Suddenly it hit me... she had buried so much pain and bitterness in her heart. Subconsciously I reached out and touched her head.
Our son came in at the moment and said, Dad, it's time to carry mum out. To him, seeing his father carrying his mother out had become an essential part of his life. My wife gestured to our son to come closer and hugged him tightly. I turned my face away because I was afraid I might change my mind at this last minute. I then held her in my arms, walking from the bedroom, through the sitting room, to the hallway. Her hand surrounded my neck softly and naturally. I held her body tightly; it was ju st like our wedding day.
But her much lighter weight made me sad. On the last day, when I held her in my arms I could hardly move a step. Our son had gone to school. I held her tightly and said, I hadn't noticed that our life lacked intimacy.
I drove to office.... jumped out of the car swiftly without locking the door. I was afraid any delay would make me change my mind... I walked upstairs. Dew opened the door and I said to her, Sorry, Dew, I do not want the divorce anymore.
She looked at me, astonished, and then touched my forehead. Do you have a fever? She said. I moved her hand off my head. Sorry, Dew, I said, I won't divorce. My marriage life was boring probably because she and I didn't value the details of our lives, not because we didn't love each other any more. Now I realize that since I carried her into my home on our wedding day I am supposed to hold her until death do us apart.
Dew seemed to suddenly wake up. She gave me a loud slap and then slammed the door and burst into tears. I walked downstairs and drove away.
At the floral shop on the way, I ordered a bouquet of flowers for my wife. The salesgirl asked me what to write on the card. I smiled and wrote, I'll carry you out every morning until death do us apart.
That evening I arrived home, flowers in my hands, a smile on my face, I run up stairs, only to find my wife in the bed - dead.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The small details of your lives are what really matter in a relationship. It is not the mansion, the car, property, the money in the bank, blah.. blah .. blah. These create an environment conducive for happiness but cannot give happiness in themselves. So find time to be your spouse's friend and do those little things for each other that build intimacy.. Do have a real happy marriage!

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gayatri Mantra and Scientific Implication[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GAYATRI MANTRA AND[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]MANTRA'S SCIENTIFIC INTERPRETATION[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
clip_image002.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
View attachment Gayatri Mantra and Scientific Implication.doc
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gayatri mantra has been bestowed the greatest importance in Vedic dharma. This mantra has also been termed as Savitri and Ved-Mata, the mother of the Vedas.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Om bhur bhuvah swah[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tat savitur varenyam[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bhargo devasya dheemahi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dhiyo yo nah prachodayat[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
The literal meaning of the mantra is:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]O God! You are Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Almighty, You are all Light. You are all Knowledge and Bliss. You are Destroyer of fear, You are Creator of this Universe, You are the Greatest of all. We bow and meditate upon Your light. You guide our intellect in the right direction.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The mantra, however, has a great scientific importance too, which somehow got lost in the literary tradition. The modern astrophysics and astronomy tell us that our Galaxy called Milky Way or Akash-Ganga contains approximately 100,000 million of stars. Each star is like our sun having its own planet system. We know that the moon moves round the earth and the earth moves round the sun along with the moon. All planets round the sun. Each of the above bodies revolves round at its own axis as well. Our sun along with its family takes one round of the galactic center in 22.5 crore years. All galaxies including ours are moving away at a terrific velocity of 20,000 miles per second.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
clip_image004.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
clip_image006.jpg
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]The alternative scientific meaning of the mantra[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Line by Line[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Line 1:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] OM BHUR BHUVAH SWAH:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Bhur the earth, bhuvah the planets (solar family), swah the Galaxy. We observe that when an ordinary fan with a speed of 900 RPM (rotations Per minute) moves, it makes noise. Then, one can imagine, what great noise would be created when the galaxies move with a speed of 20,000 miles per second. This is what this portion of the mantra explains that the sound produced due to the fast-moving earth, planets and galaxies is Om. The sound was heard during meditation by Rishi Vishvamitra, who mentioned it to other colleagues. All of them, then unanimously decided to call this sound Om the name of God, because this sound is available in all the three periods of time, hence it is set (permanent). Therefore, it was the first ever revolutionary idea to identify formless God with a specific title (form) called upadhi. Until that time, everybody recognized God as formless and nobody was prepared to accept this new idea. In the Gita also, it is said, "Omiti ekaksharam brahma", meaning that the name of the Supreme is Om , which contains only one syllable (8/12). This sound Om heard during samadhi was called by all the seers nada-brahma a very great noise), but not a noise that is normally heard beyond a specific amplitude and limits of decibels suited to human hearing. Hence the rishis called this sound Udgith musical sound of the above, i.e., heaven. They also noticed that the infinite mass of galaxies moving with a velocity of 20,000 miles/second was generating a kinetic energy = 1/2 MV2 and this was balancing the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence they named it Pranavah, which means the body (vapu) or store house of energy (prana).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
clip_image008.jpg
[FONT=&quot]Line 2: [/FONT][FONT=&quot] TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Tat that (God), savitur the sun (star), varenyam worthy of bowing or respect. Once the form of a person along with the name is known to us, we may locate the specific person.Hence the two titles (upadhi) provide the solid ground to identify the formless God, Vishvamitra suggested. He told us that we could know (realize) the unknowable formless God through the known factors, viz., sound Om and light of suns (stars). A mathematician can solve an equation x2+y2=4; if x=2; then y can be known and so on. An engineer can measure the width of a river even by standing at the riverbank just by drawing a triangle. So was the scientific method suggested by Vishvamitra in the mantra in the next portion as under:-[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Line 3:
BHARGO DEVASYA DHEEMAHI:
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Bhargo the light, devasya of the deity, dheemahi we should meditate. The rishi instructs us to meditate upon the available form (light of suns) to discover the formless Creator (God). Also he wants us to do japa of the word Om (this is understood in the Mantra). This is how the sage wants us to proceed, but there is a great problem to realize it, as the human mind is so shaky and restless that without the grace of the Supreme (Brahma) it cannot be controlled. Hence Vishvamitra suggests the way to pray Him as under:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Line 4:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Dhiyo (intellect), yo (who), nah (we all), prachodayat (guide to right Direction). O God! Deploy our intellect on the right path. Full scientific interpretation of the Mantra: The earth (bhur), the planets (bhuvah), and the galaxies (swah) are moving at a very great velocity, the sound produced is Om , (the name of formless God.) That God (tat), who manifests Himself in the form of light of suns (savitur) is worthy of bowing/respect (varenyam). We all, therefore, should meditate (dheemahi) upon the light (bhargo) of that deity (devasya) and also do chanting of Om. May He (yo) guide in right direction (prachodayat) our (nah) intellect dhiyo.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The important points hinted in the mantra are[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) The total kinetic energy generated by the movement of galaxies acts as an umbrella and balances the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence it was named as the Pranavah[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot](body of energy). This is equal to 1/2 mv2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Mass of galaxies x square of velocity.)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) Realizing the great importance of the syllable OM , the other later date religions adopted this word with a slight change in accent, viz., Amen and Ameen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So Memorize and Chant Mantra everyday[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

An excellent post with scientific explanations.
You may also like to supplement this with my post on Gayatri, parts1 and 2, under the head "literature" in this forum, posted yesterday.
Regards,
Ramanathan.

DON'T KNOW HOW TRUE ANY OF THIS IS, BUT WORTH A TRY!!!

WHAT CAN YOU LOSE - NO SIDE EFFECTS THAT'S FOR SURE!

INDIAN SPICES FOR ALL DISEASES

KEEP IT HANDY

COLDS
Mix a gram of dalchini/cinnamon powder with a teaspoon of honey to** cure cold. Prepare a cup of tea to which you should add ginger, clove, bay leaf and black pepper... This should be consumed twice a day.. Reduce the intake as the cold disappears.* **

GINGER FOR COLDS
Ginger tea is very good to cure cold. Preparation of tea: cut ginger into small pieces and boil it with water, boil it a few times and then add sugar to sweeten and milk to taste, and drink it hot.

DRY COUGHS
Add a gram of turmeric (haldi) powder to a teaspoon of honey for curing dry cough. Also chew a cardamom for a long time.

BLOCKED NOSE
For blocked nose or to relieve congestion, take a table spoon of crushed carom seeds (ajwain) and tie it in a cloth and inhale it.

SORE THROAT
Add a tea spoon of cumin seeds (jeera) and a few small pieces of dry ginger to a glass of boiling water. Simmer it for a few minutes, and then let it cool. Drink it twice daily. This will cure cold as well as sour throat.

AJWAIN/AJMO FOR ASTHMA*
*Boil ajwain in water and inhale the steam.

CURE FOR BACKACHE
Rub ginger paste on the backache to get relief.

GARLIC FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE**
Have 1-2 pod garlic (lasan) first thing in the morning with water *

HONEY AND GINGER FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
Mix 1 table spoon and 1 table spoon ginger (adrak) juice, *1 table spoon of crushed cumin seeds (jeera), and have it twice daily.

MIGRAINE
For the cure of migraine or acute cold in the head; boil a tablespoon of pepper powder, and a pinch of turmeric in a cup of milk, and have it daily for a few couple of days.

BITTER GOURD/KARELA IS GOOD
A tablespoon of amla juice mixed with a cup of fresh bitter gourd (karela) juice and taken daily for 2 months reduces blood sugar.

TURMERIC: CURE FOR INJURIES
For any cut or wound, apply turmeric powder to the injured portion to stop the bleeding. It also works as an antiseptic. You can tie a bandage after applying haldi/turmeric.

CRAMPS
You must do a self-massage using mustard oil every morning. Just take a little oil between your palms and rub it all over your body. Then take a shower. This is especially beneficial during winter. You could also mix a little mustard powder with water to make a paste and apply this on your palms and soles of your feet.

HEADACHES
If you have a regular migraine problem, include five almonds along with hot milk in your daily diet. You could also have a gram of black pepper along with honey or milk, twice or thrice a day. Make an almond paste by rubbing wet almonds against a stone. This can be applied to forehead.

Eat an apple with a little salt on an empty stomach everyday and see its wonderful effects. OR when headache is caused by cold winds, cinnamon works best in curing headache. Make a paste of cinnamon by mixing in water and apply it all over your forehead *

TURMERIC FOR ARTHRITIS
Turmeric can be used in treating arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory property. Turmeric can be taken as a drink other than adding to dishes to help prevent all problems. Use one teaspoon of turmeric powder per cup of warm milk every day. It is also used as a paste for local action.

GOOD FOR THE HEART
Turmeric lower cholesterol and by preventing the formation of the internal blood clots improves circulation and prevents heart disease and stroke. Turmeric can be taken as a drink other than adding to dishes to help preventall problems.. Use one teaspoon of turmeric powder per cup of warm milk every day. It is also used as a paste for local action.

GOOD FOR INDIGESTION *
Turmeric can be used to relieve digestive problems like ulcers, dysentery. Turmeric can be taken as a drink other than adding to dishes to help prevent all problems. Use one teaspoon of turmeric powder per cup of warm milk every day. It is also used as a paste for local action.

HONEY IS A GOOD CURE FOR ALL DISEASES
Mix 1 teaspoon honey with a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and have it at night.

HICCUPS
Take a warm slice of lemon and sprinkle salt, sugar and black pepper on it. The lemon should be eaten until the hiccups stop. *

HIGH BLOOD CHOLESTEROL
In 1 glass of water, add 2 tbsps of coriander/dhania seeds and bring to a boil. Let the decoction cool for some time and then strain. Drink this mixture two times in a day. **OR Sunflower seeds are extremely beneficial, as they contain linoleic acid that helps in reducing the cholesterol deposits on the walls of arteries.*

PILES
Radish juice should be taken twice a day, once in the morning and then later in the night. Initially drink about ? cup of radish juice and then gradually increase it to ? cup.. OR Soak 3-4 figs in a glass of water. Keep it overnight. Consume the figs on an empty stomach, the next day in the morning

VOMITING
Take 2 cardamoms/elachi and roast them on a dry pan (tava). Powder the cardamoms and thereafter add a tsp of honey in it. Consume it frequently. It serves as a fabulous home remedy for vomiting. OR In the mixture of 1 tsp of mint juice and 1 tsp limejuice, add 1 tsp of ginger juice and 1 tsp honey. Drink this mixture to prevent vomiting. *

*OR Limejuice is an effective remedy for vomiting. Take a glass of chilled limejuice and sip slowly. To prevent vomiting, drink ginger tea.. OR In 1 glass water, add some honey and drink sip by sip. *

WARTS
Apply castor oil daily over the problematic area. Continue for several months. OR Apply milky juice of fresh and barely-ripe figs a number of times a day. Continue for two weeks. OR Rub cut raw potatoes on the affected area several times daily. Continue for at least two weeks. *

*OR Rub cut onions on the warts to stimulate the circulation of blood. OR Apply milk from the cut end of dandelion over the warts 2-3 times a day. OR Apply oil extracted from the shell of the cashew nut over the warts. OR Apply Papaya juice OR Apply Pineapple juice.*

URINARY TRACT INFECTION
Drink Cranberry juice. You can also add some apple juice for taste.

SINUSITIS
Mango serves as an effective home remedy for preventing the frequent attacks of sinus, as it is packed with loads of vitamin A. OR Another beneficial remedy consists of consuming pungent foods like onion and garlic, as a part of your daily meals. OR Fenugreek/methi leaves are considered valuable in curing sinusitis. In 250 ml water, boil 1 tsp of Fenugreek seeds and reduce it to half. This will help you to perspire, dispel toxicity and reduce the fever period. OR Tie a tsp of black cumin seeds in a thin cotton cloth and inhale.*

TONSILLITIS
Take a fresh lemon and squeeze it in a glass of water. Add 4 tsp of honey and ? tsp of salt in it. Drink it slowly sip by sip. OR Milk has proved beneficial in treating tonsillitis. In 1 glass of pure boiled milk, add a pinch of turmeric powder and pepper powder. Drink it every night for about . *

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above posted message was received by me through an e mail and the same is being shared by me in this Forum, hope these might be useful in some way or others and if tried for any of the remedies above it does not give any side effects.

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

Very interesting information on bananas and its many benefits......
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!
This is interesting.
After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bananas contain three natural sugars -
sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depression:
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS:
Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia :
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of haemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anaemia.

Blood Pressure:
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure.. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brain Power:
200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation:
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn:

Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
Morning Sickness:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves:
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.
Overweight and at work?
Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs.. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers:
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control:
Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.
Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):
Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood Enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use:
Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress:
Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes:
According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts:
Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!
So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A banana a day keeps the doctor away!'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

Dear all,

Please find some very useful & Important piece of message which might be very handy for those are investing there hard earned money in to shares; even otherwise a must know for everyone.

Alternatively I'm giving an URL link here which you may click and have a look into the same.

http://www.business-standard.com/sme/storypage.php?autono=417361
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Identify an operator-driven stock

Dipta Joshi & Tinesh Bhasin / Mumbai December 07, 2010, 0:57 IST

Stay away from small companies that are easily manipulated.
Last week, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) pulled up promoters of four companies — Welspun Corp, Ackruti City, Murli Industries and Brushman India — for allegedly rigging their own stocks. The promoters of these companies allegedly colluded with stock market operators, Sanjay Dangi and his associates and the Ashika Group, to manipulate their stock prices.
Following Sebi’s orders, stock prices of these companies fell sharply. Ackruti City, Welspun Corp and Murli Industries fell by 20, 27 and 20 per cent, respectively, the next day.
While many operator-driven stocks allow traders to make a quick buck, for retail investors who have invested in these stocks, things could be difficult. It is not easy to identify a stock that is being manipulated vis-a-vis another which is rising due to sentiment. Yet, an investor can look at signs that may point towards manipulation and stay away.
Sharp price movements
All operator-driven stocks see a meteoric rise and fall. Unfortunately, even the best companies have fallen prey to operators. In the early nineties, Harshad Mehta drove ACC’s price to Rs 10,000 a share. Today, the stock closed at Rs 976. Typically, these stocks hit the upper circuit often while these are on a rise. Similarly, they go on a free fall when things are bad.
Investors fall prey to these often. Ketan Dhiman invested in the initial public offering of Pochiraju Industries at Rs 20 a stock. He saw the stock swing between Rs 60 and Rs 5 within a few months. “In the first year, I offloaded the investment fearing there is an operator behind the share price movement,” says Dhiman. Suryakant Lakhotia did the same with Valuemart Info Technologies, when he saw the price fluctuate from Rs 9 to Rs 30.
According to Deepak Mohoni, director, trendwatchindia.com, “At a first glance, the rise may be linked to operators, but there are a number of investors who pick up chunk shares for the long term. So, one can only be sure about the stock being operator-driven only after the event occurs.”
However, experts say it is better to stay away from stocks that show such vast movements, unless the company has revenues of over Rs 1,000 crore (largecap).
Performance does not justify
Another sign to look out for is the price versus performance mismatch in a stock. A spike in price without any justification is a strong indicator that an operator is manipulating the stock.
You will see that the price does not justify simple fundamentals such as revenues, profits, and price-to-earnings (P/E) multiple of the stock. “When you compare the stock to its peers, the P/E multiple needs to be discounted as the size of the company reduces,” says SP Tulsian, an investment advisor. For example, if the P/E multiple of a textile largecap company is 11 times, the P/E of a midcap one will be seven-eight times, while smallcaps and microcaps will be five times or lower.
He also points out a possibility that the owners could be manipulating the financials by forging a big order. However, these are not sustainable beyond a quarter or two in most cases.
“If you can’t dissect the company’s financials and be confident about it, it’s better to stay away,” Tulsian says.
Size matters
As far as operators are concerned, smaller the company, the bigger the scope for manipulation. If an operator wants to play around with even one-two per cent of the company’s stock, he/she needs to target companies that have a smaller market capitalisation, says Rs 100 crore or lower. The need for finances makes it difficult for operator to try the same with a largecap stock, unless the promoters are part of the deal.
Retail investors could stay safe if they invest in bigger, established companies, rather than smallcap and microcap stocks.
Repeat offenders
There is a need to look at the stock history. Operators are known to rig the same stock at every opportunity they get. Let’s take Ackruti City. The company was excluded from futures and options segment in 2009. The stock price of the company rose to Rs 2,364 in March, after hitting an all-time low of Rs 550 two months earlier.
“If you look at the stock’s history, you would know that some stocks are repeat offenders, who have been pulled on earlier occasions, too” says Mohoni.
Most manipulations take place during the bull run to make the best of the buying frenzy. This also helps manipulators attract investors, despite lack of information. When stock prices are on a high, be extra cautious.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

Exercise for stronger knees and hips

Exercise is more than just a good health habit; it’s also a specific and effective treatment for many knee and hip problems. Strength in the muscles around a damaged knee or hip can help support that joint by taking over some of its responsibilities. For example, your hips have to do less work to support your body weight if your quadriceps, gluteal s, hamstrings, and abdominal muscles are stronger. A strong quadriceps can take over the shock-absorbing role usually played by the meniscus or cartilage in the knee.
The proper balance of strength in the muscles can hold the joint in the most functional and least painful position. With any knee or hip problem, the first muscles to lose strength are the largest anti-gravity muscles, the quadriceps and gluteal s, so an exercise plan for any injury is likely to focus on these.
Muscles work in pairs — one contracts while the opposing one relaxes. For example, when you straighten your knee, your quadriceps on the front of your thigh contracts, and the hamstrings on the back relax. Imbalances in the function of paired muscles can cause joint problems and invite injury. If your hamstrings are tight, your quadriceps can’t contract fully and may weaken, so exercise the quadriceps and hamstrings (the opposing muscles) equally. Flexibility exercises (to stretch and relax specific muscles) are an important part of an exercise plan to improve joint function.Closed-chain exercising. Physical therapists have emphasized the distinction between open-chain and closed-chain exercises. The chain referred to is a series of body parts, such as a hip, knee, ankle, and foot.In an open-chain exercise, the body is stationary while the limb moves. In closed-chain exercise, the limb is stationary while the body moves. For example, a squat is a closed-chain exercise because your feet stay stationary while your quadriceps do the work. In contrast, a seated leg extension is an open-chain maneuver, because your seated body is still, but your leg moves as you extend it.
Open-chain exercises may be more effective for particular therapeutic goals such as increasing quadriceps strength after ACL injury. But over all, physical therapists are incorporating more closed-chain exercises into rehabilitation programs and recommending them for people with painful joints because these exercises involve more muscles and joints and help to create stability around a joint.

Exercising with a physical therapist

Physical therapy is often part of treatment for arthritis and other joint problems. A physical therapist individualizes your treatment program to restore or maintain your physical functioning and carries out specific instructions from your orthopedist.
First, the therapist thoroughly evaluates your pain, functional ability, strength, and endurance. A physical therapy session may involve pain-relieving treatments using ice, heat, massage, or other approaches. The physical therapist supervises you in doing exercises and teaches you exercises you can do at home. Depending on the therapy center, there may be a pool (see box) and a variety of exercise equipment to use.
Gait retraining. Knee and hip problems can disrupt your normal walk by causing pain, restricting joint movement, or weakening muscles. A person’s usual pattern of standing, walking, or running may also invite joint problems if weakness in key muscles, poor coaching advice, or bad habits throw off the gait.
It may take many years of walking with an abnormal gait before joint injury occurs. Improper running leads to pain and injury more rapidly because it involves greater force with each stride.
A physical therapist analyzes your gait and helps you learn to walk more normally. Initially, the proper gait may feel odd; you will most likely need practice and continued instruction before it becomes comfortable. The physical therapist may suggest a change in shoes or specific exercises to strengthen muscles you may be trying to avoid using.
If you have had a knee or hip replacement, gait retraining helps you relearn to stand up straight (the tendency is to lean toward your operated leg) and use both legs evenly. Gait retraining may begin in the pool, where the water’s buoyancy takes weight off the joint, makes it easier to stand up straight, and reduces the fear of falling.

Everyone into the pool!

Exercise in the water has special benefits:
The water supports your weight, reducing stress on your joints.

• You can try out exercises before doing them on solid ground.

• An 85° F pool is comfortable for exercise and soothes joints.

• You can increase range of motion and endurance without strenuous effort or joint pain.
Exercising without stressing your hips and knees

If you like to exercise regularly but need to give your hip or knee a rest while an injury heals, here are some exercises you can do in the meantime. You can combine these exercises to create a routine lasting 30 minutes or longer:

• Floor exercises, including abdominal curls, crunches, push-ups, or leg lifts

• Hand weight routines, including repeated lifting of small hand weights in different directions

• Exercise ball routines, including stretches, abdominal curls, or leg lifts

• Swimming

• Gentle yoga.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope everyone benefits by this message of mine. Please do convey whether this was liked or not.

Namaskarangal,

P R Subramanian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back