• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

God does exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
If god does indeed exist, will he/she be brahmin/obc/sc/etc? How is the Hindu god different from muslim and christian gods? And if we say all gods are one, why do we need hinduism? Why will a muslim/ x-ian never acknowledge Hindu gods? We Hindus always say there's just one "God" to prove we are "secular" and blend ourselves with christians and muslims, while they care a chit about us..in fact our caste system is a big mockery..

Shri ashwin,

Your thoughts look very much like mine, when I was younger. My experiences in life have brought me to the conclusion that there is no god apart from whatever power gives "life" to us and makes a physical body alive. It is the same god which gives or manifests as life in every living thing be it man, animal, reptile, worm, germ, plant, tree, etc. If only this awareness comes it becomes easier to understand much of the philosophy in our scriptures in their true backgrounds and their constraints.

Primitive man looked at creation and this world with wonder and awe and his mind immediately conjured up a creator god. Rligions which are all man-made utilized this chance, furthered the concept of a god almighty outside of man and the priesthood of almost all religions could thus get immense control over populations. We are mostly still in that stage because we fail to recognize the god who is inside us and is called கடவுள் (உள்ளே கடந்து இருப்பவன்).

Mankind will take the next big leap forward when it renounces its god almighty outside and starts recognizing the very god which is inside each one of us as also everything around us.

Dear Sangom Sir,

If you eat anything before your better half offers it to God, she can very well think,

'கணவனே கண் கண்ட தெய்வம்!' and be happy + satisfied! :D

My wife's pooja is not elaborate. She offers one or two yellow plantains and generally it is eaten by herself or myself later on, if we feel like. So the contingency cited by you does not normally arise. And I am not very fond of or particular about food, in general.

BTW, what more proof is required to show that the idol is just an idol and offering what we like to eat to that idol is no substitute to feeding a poor and hungry human being first, before we ourselves eat. How many brahmins/non-brahmins of today will like to follow this practice for a change?

Sangom,

This was the practice in the earlier days.

In my Grandfather's house , no one would eat till an Adithi was first fed. It was the duty of the children to find an Adithi. Sometimes locating one would take hours. The family did not eat till it was done. I believe that this was the standard practice especially of very orthodox Brahmin households.

This practice has disappeared now.

show me just ONE person who has seen the real GOD, the so-called CREATOR. We always see "god" in beggars lepers etc, but we never see GOD. I'm beginning to think God was the product of a fertile hallucinating mind, high on psychotropic substances. Why should god eat plantains, why not a bottle of Cognac?

I am undergoing a very very difficult period, and no god or whatever's helped me. I must admit, I do read Sai Satcharita etc, but that 'saint' knew telekinesis, in my opinion.

My wife's pooja is not elaborate. She offers one or two yellow plantains and generally it is eaten by herself or myself later on, if we feel like. So the contingency cited by you does not normally arise. And I am not very fond of or particular about food, in general.

show me just ONE person who has seen the real GOD, the so-called CREATOR. We always see "god" in beggars lepers etc, but we never see GOD. I'm beginning to think God was the product of a fertile hallucinating mind, high on psychotropic substances. Why should god eat plantains, why not a bottle of Cognac?

I am undergoing a very very difficult period, and no god or whatever's helped me. I must admit, I do read Sai Satcharita etc, but that 'saint' knew telekinesis, in my opinion.

Once Vivekananda asked Ramakrishna 'Can you show me God that I can see?'.

Ramakrishna smote him on his face and asked 'what do you feel?'.

Vivek replied, 'It pains'.

Ramakrishna asked, 'Can you show me pain?'.

Vivekananda understood and did not pursue the matter any further and turned Ramakrishna's disciple.

The following was narrated by my Christian colleagues yesterday (31st March) when we were discussing on Easter :

After Jesus resurrected, He appeared to 10 of His disciples. The 10 reported to Thomas, who was not present then among them, that Jesus indeed is resurrected. Thomas refused to believe and said, 'Unless I see Him and touch Him and feel Him I will not believe'. Jesus appeared to Thomas and Thomas said, 'My Lord'. Jesus said, 'Thomas you saw and hence you believed. But blessed are they who have not seen and yet believed'.

When our Science Textbooks say matter contains atom, which in turn contains nucleus, protons, electrons, mesons, pesons etc etc, we believe while yet not having seen. When astronomers say there are nine planets in the Solar system, we believe while yet we have not seen them all. When we board a bus, we believe that the Driver will safely drive us through to our destination without an atom of doubt on the driver's credentials to drive as regards his driving license, expiry date etc, trusting in his employer who has employeed him. When we board a flight we believe that we will land safely in our destnation. When we deposit money in some bank or finance company, we believe that we will get our interest regularly and that the bank/financial institution will survive the entire period of our deposit and that we will get our funds on expiry. We construct houses believing that no earthquake will destroy as if we had seen the future. We believe so many things about the future hoping and trusting in circumstances without seeing the future. Yet there is one phenomenon whom we would believe only when we see and He is God.

Dear Ashwin, if you claim you have a heart, could you please show me your heart that I can see and believe you indeed have a heart?

Why should god eat plantains, why not a bottle of Cognac?

Dear Ashwin,

We humans want to eat..hence we make God "eat".

So we offer what we like to eat.

There is nothing stopping anyone from offering God anything cos for us its a plantain or a bottle of Cognac for God it is just 5 elements.. For all we know God might be thinking "What do these humans think ? They actually think they can offer me something which they created? What on earth did they create? All they keep offering me is something I created and they actually think it is an offering"LOL!

Last edited:

I am undergoing a very very difficult period, and no god or whatever's helped me. I must admit, I do read Sai Satcharita etc, but that 'saint' knew telekinesis, in my opinion..

Ashwin,

How do you see god in beggars and not in a normal person? or the vigraha? Your perception is defective!

Now I know why you are going thru a difficult period, pl. change your attitude! God created bacteria (gut-flora) for digestion and for a good purpose of breaking down complex compounds to be absorbed by the blood and hence the neurons. But, making a fermented food for some kick is a tamasic mind, and why would we offer that to the Creator (which we can't even feed our wife or child) when sweet smelling fruits, fragrant flowers and sandal-paste, rich proteins are made available to us in plentiful, for our enjoyment? If you are poor, just do a neivedhyam with clean leaves or water! Creator simply looks for our pure mind, not the So-What? attitude!

You see God in Lepers or beggars, is because you see God in your own pitiful thought! You ask those affected, they see God in their hunger or food not even in their suffering! Your sincere prayers for them (to the 'AntarYami of all' not the Sai's Telekinesis tactics) will bring change in them but not your 'empty' empathy!!

Refer post #37:

All these goody-goody talks are OK because the god does not eat even a speck of whatever is offered as naivedyam. But imagine what will be the state of affairs if god was to be really present in the idol/s and will "kAlify" the vessels in which all those sAtveeka and what not, foods are kept, like what Ganesha was supposed to have done in the breakfast offered to him by Kubera?

There is nothing goody goody about this. It is just plain talking. Knowing fully well that God will not touch even a spec of the food offered in nivedhyam it is offered by believers. In SV sampradhaya we even call it அமுது செய்தல். the meaning being that by making it an offer to God the food is converted into Amrith. So there is no disappointment if the god were to really eat everything. It requires a believer's mind to understand this.

BTW, what more proof is required to show that the idol is just an idol and offering what we like to eat to that idol is no substitute to feeding a poor and hungry human being first, before we ourselves eat. How many brahmins/non-brahmins of today will like to follow this practice for a change?

No need of proving. The bhaktha knows that idol is an idol. But he believes that it represents the God idea so that the mental process of concentrating and praying is facilitated by that idol. Whatever is done to the idol is also done fully knowing that we do that to the idol which represents the God idea. It is becoming difficult to find a hungry man/woman who will take food from you. They prefer to get a 20 note from you and proceed straight to TASMAC shop to spend it on what they like. If you hold them in such great venerable position you can treat them as your Guru and offer them the 20 note bundle so that the requirement that "AchArya priyanthanamAkrutya prajA thanthum mAvyavathchEthsi" command of veda would have been fullfilled and you would have offered your guru what he likes most as per the srivaishnava sampradhAya.:wave:

Cheers.

With due respects to Sri Sangom's alternate views, where is the question of substituting naivedyam by feeding a poor and hungry human being? One can do naivediyam as also feed a hungry and poor person and then partake the food.

But the burning question for all the scientists and social scientists is why should there be a poor and hungry person at all, who has to depend on the gesture of goodwill or scriptural exhortions for filling in his/her empty stomach. How come that the human society that keeps evolving to suit the present times, has failed to find a lasting solution to this basic need.

Dear Shri Ashwin,

The concept of a superior almighty god who is at once a dispenser of divine, impartial justice as also the very personification of kindness to the bhaktas or devotees of that god almighty, was the imagination of normal human minds who had, probably by that time, come to see and experience powerful men taking over as kings, emperors and monarchs. The human imagination seems to have simply magnified some of the powers and characteristics of these kings/emperors and made those into aspects of god. I do not think minds under hallucination are/were necessary to achieve this.

But I agree that hallucinating (?) minds have possibly passed off as persons with godly powers and even as people who had direct experience of god. The best instance that comes to my mind is Narendra Dutta (a.k.a Vivekananda) climing that he had direct vision of god by a simple touch by Ramakrishna.

Though cognac may be costly, there is a famous temple in Kerala at Parassinikkadavu and the offerings here are fish, meat and toddy (Muthappan Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Hence there is nothing against cognac in hinduism I will say, but I do not know whether cognac alone without something else to neutalize its effects on god, may be advisable ;)

God as I said earlier, is the power or force or energy which manifests as "Life", nothing more. It has only that marvellous power to manifest as life, nothing more. Our problems, good times and bad times, even worst times, are all results of our own past karmas and only if we had performed some karma/s to mitigate the evil effects of our bad karmas we will get some timely external help or relief from the sufferings.

In one of your earlier posts you had written that your father's demise, someone who was alive or was even a mere physical body, a few minutes ago turns into a pot of ashes in five minutes, and that has changed your life view completely. That is the real, real, truth because once god which is making you alive, leaves this body, then this body alone becomes a very bad nuisance for humans and they will better hurry to dispose it off by burning or intering, as soon as possible so that the rotting, foul-smelling body does not spread diseases to others who want to live!

This physical body is just like a cloak which is activated into life and living state by god, but subject to the Karmas which cause such a birth in the first instance. Once this Karma covering says "my job in this cloak is finished!", even the life-giving god has no power to stay on and has to depart. The karmas cause a new birth just as we throw away an old car and buy a new one which, again, will run for only a few years.

I understand that you are having tough times. The best course is to analyze the situation, its causes and what steps you can take to nullify the problems. Astrology is sometimes of use in this. One Shri Rishikesan has been saying that his wife gives guaranteed predictions and pariharams. May be you would like to try that. Reading Sai Satcharitra or anything else for that matter will be of any help until you have experienced the results of the past karmas. Kindly do not lose courage, there will be good times for you as you grow old.

Thanks for all your support. They say 'God' tests us, and those who 'pass' the test are rewarded. Which 'god'? The Christian/ Jewish god demands wine, the islamic god demands a goat, the hindu gods demand everything. So which god do we turn to, in times of difficulty? People with a comfortable bank balance can afford to engage in godly pursuits to mask their anguish, what about those who have no money? Do they die on the streets?

Thanks for all your support. They say 'God' tests us, and those who 'pass' the test are rewarded. Which 'god'? The Christian/ Jewish god demands wine, the islamic god demands a goat, the hindu gods demand everything. So which god do we turn to, in times of difficulty? People with a comfortable bank balance can afford to engage in godly pursuits to mask their anguish, what about those who have no money? Do they die on the streets?

Dear Ashwin,

Everything passes. Period.

Have faith and keep it.

Cheers.

I did not say anything about god testing you/us and god rewarding later, etc. What I said or tried to say, was that all the present sufferings are the reactions or results of the past karmas with which you have been born as ashwin_ash and no power, not even the mightiest of all the Chrisian, Jewish, Islamic or Hindu gods can do anything to interfere in this karma playing out its course; but if there is any favourable karmas too in the balances you have come carrying, may be some timely help will come to you. Till then you can remain stoically, bearing all the sufferings or show your frustration in any whichever way you want. The better way is to keep a stoic attitude. You will always find people who are less lucky than yourself in this world; that is one of the enigmas of this world.

In case you give your DOB, TOB & POB, I can prepare your birth horoscope and may be I will be able to tell you how long your sufferings will continue.

My d.o.b Nov 9, 1973..time of birth- 1920 (7:20 PM), Place of birth- Mumbai, India

Thanks a ton for offering to help... [email protected]

I did not say anything about god testing you/us and god rewarding later, etc. What I said or tried to say, was that all the present sufferings are the reactions or results of the past karmas with which you have been born as ashwin_ash and no power, not even the mightiest of all the Chrisian, Jewish, Islamic or Hindu gods can do anything to interfere in this karma playing out its course; but if there is any favourable karmas too in the balances you have come carrying, may be some timely help will come to you. Till then you can remain stoically, bearing all the sufferings or show your frustration in any whichever way you want. The better way is to keep a stoic attitude. You will always find people who are less lucky than yourself in this world; that is one of the enigmas of this world.

In case you give your DOB, TOB & POB, I can prepare your birth horoscope and may be I will be able to tell you how long your sufferings will continue.

One interesting viewpoint I heard recently was what if God exists, but is not omnipotent? God is like a child who has collected a lot of ants in a bottle. The ants fight it out amongst themselves, struggling for existence. To them, the child seems all powerful and can mete out life or death. But outside the ant universe, the child has his own challenges.

What if God can't really provide all the answers? Just a being more powerful than we are.

One interesting viewpoint I heard recently was what if God exists, but is not omnipotent? God is like a child who has collected a lot of ants in a bottle. The ants fight it out amongst themselves, struggling for existence. To them, the child seems all powerful and can mete out life or death. But outside the ant universe, the child has his own challenges.

What if God can't really provide all the answers? Just a being more powerful than we are.

Dear Shri Biswaji,

I knew closely one astrologer (of course, a tabra) who had amzing skills of prediction, may be due to his innate nature or the power of his devotion to goddess Ambika (which was what everyone including myself, believed at that time). This poor man who never used to insist on any "dakshiNA" and so whom people used to underpay as much as possible, had no issues. One day my inquisitiveness got the better of myself and I asked him why he who prescribed parihArams to many for begetting issues/sons etc., was not doing anything for a son for himself.

He smiled feebly because his asthmA was very acute that day and said that this entire world turns on the principle of karma but people have failed to understand it and, because our religion and scriptures say many different things, their beliefs have gone very much astray but the truth prevails, unknown to them.

I then asked him what astrology says and what is the relevance of parihArams then? He said astrology helps analyze the kArmic balance sheet (he used a round-about description in spoken Tamil, for this) and parihArams are relevant in many cases if one can pinpoint the kArmic weaknesses in the horoscope and what will be an effective parihAram; our astrology texts of repute omit the kArmic part but link parihArams to the apparent planetary malformations, bad placements/aspects, etc., just as our old ayurvedic system used to diagnose the disease based on the three dOshas while allopathy studies the apparent symptoms like temperature, motion, pain, swelling etc.

My knowledge of astrology is meagre and so I do not dare to suggest parihArams usually, but the old man's words had a great impact on me. This plus my accumulated experiences and thoughts get reflected in my personal philosophical belief, I will say.

As to a childish (childlike?) god with a bottle full of ants etc., it is not necessary to imagine or postulate any kind of outside god once we are fully convinced that god is the power which manifests as life-giving power or energy and that individual physical bodies act according to the kArmic balaance sheet which each of us has come with into this world. But religions will not allow mankind to so believe.

hi sangom ji,
nice write up....thanks....generally karmic theory more philosophical.....but we feel....sometimes we want immediate relief....

so pariharam ...,may be for just mental satisfaction....like ayurveda based on vaatha/pitha/kapam....these three doshas....

it takes long time to cure the disease ....but no side reactions....but allopathic medicines give immediate relief ...with side

affect too..so all pariharams for mental satisfaction/psychological feelings....

hi sangom ji,
nice write up....thanks....generally karmic theory more philosophical.....but we feel....sometimes we want immediate relief....

so pariharam ...,may be for just mental satisfaction....like ayurveda based on vaatha/pitha/kapam....these three doshas....

it takes long time to cure the disease ....but no side reactions....but allopathic medicines give immediate relief ...with side

affect too..so all pariharams for mental satisfaction/psychological feelings....

Shri tbs,

Even when an astrologer advises some parihaaram/s.....he is not sure of results.... only expense...physical strain...but some mental satisfaction...temporary, of course is obtained.... if the parihaaram proves useless and the bad thing happens to pass ... people blame their karma ....or say "god has willed otherwise", etc.,.........and find mental peace ultimately.......is it not?..........so, why not trust in the karma theory from the first itself?

Shri tbs,

Even when an astrologer advises some parihaaram/s.....he is not sure of results.... only expense...physical strain...but some mental satisfaction...temporary, of course is obtained.... if the parihaaram proves useless and the bad thing happens to pass ... people blame their karma ....or say "god has willed otherwise", etc.,.........and find mental peace ultimately.......is it not?..........so, why not trust in the karma theory from the first itself?
hi
if ppl trust in karmic theory first itself...then what abt astrologers/some others....they want survive tooo in this world....its not easy

to digest karmic theory.....

hi
its not easy to digest karmic theory.....

Dear TBS garu,

The truth is always difficult to digest..so Truth is made into "Pariharam"capsules and swallowed!

For that matter even the practice of Shraddha itself is questionable.

When a person has his own Karma to work out even after death..does Shraddha done by his descendants really help?

If Shraddha works and helps lessen Karmic burden I don't see any reason why Sanjay Dutt should not be pardoned?

Pardoning is like a Pariharam/Shraddha where deeds previously done can be erased!LOL

Last edited:
Dear Shri Ashwin,

The concept of a superior almighty god who is at once a dispenser of divine, impartial justice as also the very personification of kindness to the bhaktas or devotees of that god almighty, was the imagination of normal human minds who had, probably by that time, come to see and experience powerful men taking over as kings, emperors and monarchs. The human imagination seems to have simply magnified some of the powers and characteristics of these kings/emperors and made those into aspects of god. I do not think minds under hallucination are/were necessary to achieve this.

But I agree that hallucinating (?) minds have possibly passed off as persons with godly powers and even as people who had direct experience of god. The best instance that comes to my mind is Narendra Dutta (a.k.a Vivekananda) climing that he had direct vision of god by a simple touch by Ramakrishna.

Though cognac may be costly, there is a famous temple in Kerala at Parassinikkadavu and the offerings here are fish, meat and toddy (Muthappan Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Hence there is nothing against cognac in hinduism I will say, but I do not know whether cognac alone without something else to neutalize its effects on god, may be advisable ;)

God as I said earlier, is the power or force or energy which manifests as "Life", nothing more. It has only that marvellous power to manifest as life, nothing more. Our problems, good times and bad times, even worst times, are all results of our own past karmas and only if we had performed some karma/s to mitigate the evil effects of our bad karmas we will get some timely external help or relief from the sufferings.

In one of your earlier posts you had written that your father's demise, someone who was alive or was even a mere physical body, a few minutes ago turns into a pot of ashes in five minutes, and that has changed your life view completely. That is the real, real, truth because once god which is making you alive, leaves this body, then this body alone becomes a very bad nuisance for humans and they will better hurry to dispose it off by burning or intering, as soon as possible so that the rotting, foul-smelling body does not spread diseases to others who want to live!

This physical body is just like a cloak which is activated into life and living state by god, but subject to the Karmas which cause such a birth in the first instance. Once this Karma covering says "my job in this cloak is finished!", even the life-giving god has no power to stay on and has to depart. The karmas cause a new birth just as we throw away an old car and buy a new one which, again, will run for only a few years.

I understand that you are having tough times. The best course is to analyze the situation, its causes and what steps you can take to nullify the problems. Astrology is sometimes of use in this. One Shri Rishikesan has been saying that his wife gives guaranteed predictions and pariharams. May be you would like to try that. Reading Sai Satcharitra or anything else for that matter will be of any help until you have experienced the results of the past karmas. Kindly do not lose courage, there will be good times for you as you grow old.

GOD is a mechanism/tool. HE definitely exhists. Means of achieving that transen-dental (the iphon shouldnt have been there in the word transendental) PLATFORM depends on each GROUP/individual's memory and the religious culture in which he prevails.

GLOBALLY there will always be a new year, deepavali, xmas and a ramadhan. These festives remind us of GOD's exhistance in the present day world.

PERSONALLY i like ISKCON, GOOD FRIDAY and EASTER, Carnatic music with a bit of telugu/tamil/hindi words, and the fasting month of RAMADAN.

If i WRITE about VIVEKANANDA, KRISHNAMURTHY, KARMIC THEORY, COSMIC THEORY, EVOLUTION PRINCIPLES,SPIRITUALITY AS A TYPE OF EMOTION UNDER, PHYSIOLOGY OF HALLUCINATION in this thread then i will be PERCEIVED as a fool. because after all what a GROUP perceives is a 15 MINUTE SPIKE in my THOUGHT PROCESS and not my EMOTION OR BEHAVIOUR in the REAL WORLD beyond my keyboard.

In the real world, i should be trying to solve problems at work, family, society (which will include this TAMILBRAHMIN.COM, temple, FACEBOOK) and sports.

Sir, For preparing a hot mouth watering sambar, (members excuse I am not a Nala) you first heat some oil, fry mustard, fenugreek seeds, and pour tamarind soaked water, add salt, chilli power/sambar powder required, add, assafoetida, vegetable and allow it to boil. Finaly add the boiled dal and curry leaves. Now an hot spicy sambar is ready to serve. It is a loveable dish. Now though the taste of the sambar is very delicious does the vessel that used to prepare the sambar knows the taste of it! No! Likewise it is reported though we all have God within us, most of us are searching him outside. Does God is accessible? Does God can be realised? What are the ways? What are Jnana Margam, Karmma Margam? Bakthi Margam? Dhasamargam, Sahamargam and Sanmargam? etc. etc There are lot of ways preached in the puranas. Even knowing the meaning of all the above margas, can these are practically possible for a person of observe the margas nowadays. We studied about great people like Kalidhasa, Arunagirinathar, Thulasidasar, Meera, Theagabrahmam, etc etc. Matha, Pitha, Guru Deivam.

Vazhaga valamudan

Dear TBS garu,

The truth is always difficult to digest..so Truth is made into "Pariharam"capsules and swallowed!

For that matter even the practice of Shraddha itself is questionable.

When a person has his own Karma to work out even after death..does Shraddha done by his descendants really help?

If Shraddha works and helps lessen Karmic burden I don't see any reason why Sanjay Dutt should not be pardoned?

Pardoning is like a Pariharam/Shraddha where deeds previously done can be erased!LOL

Smt. Renuka,

AFAIK the śrāddha is not a vedic injunction; it gets its support from the puranas and the Dharmasastras, mainly. It is very difficult to justify the idea of śrāddha (offering three balls of rice in the homa fire to the three paternal ancestors and feeding two brahmins will satisfy the three dead ancestors, in whichever world they may be) and the concept of rebirth or punarjanma which found its way into hindu religious thoughts in a subsequent period. Nobody dared to question this contradiction; although the Matsyapurana takes up this question, it tries to justify the practice of śrāddha in a round about way. In Viswarupa's commentary on Yajnavalkyasmriti (as per Dr. P.V. Kane's, the history of Dharmasastras) also takes up this question and gives justifying answers of several kinds.

But I fail to see how pardoning Sunjuy Dutt will be a parihAram - for whose karmas and how? Also, Sunil Dutt was a mohyal and not a brahmin; mohyals excommunicate anyone from their ethnic group taking up priestly activity. (see Mohyal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Sunjuy was born to a muslim mother and so your claim to his brahmin status is not at all valid, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back