1. America's Space Program has moved from the Moon to Mars.. Moon has been explored well to a reasonable level; now the private sector can take over.
Our Rovers from the Jet Propulsion Lab (in CA, a fully Fed Govt funded program) is doing the bull work of understanding the Mars.
Even today, all the futuristic Research is done by the Fed and its various agencies like DARPA a Defense Dept Entity.
2. Please compare the R&D Budget of India to its total Revenue, and compare and contrast it to US and China. India is woefully lagging. Because it does not collect enough revenue.
3. Most of India9% is angry about the Corruption in India: Most of the perpetrators are from this faction - all the bure'crats, politicians, businessmen are all from this "economically upwardly mobile" faction of people. Only these people must CHANGE to make India prosperous.
India91% is mired in Religious FATALISM, Poverty and Ignorance, for these people are not getting quality education.
4. Privatizing ALL activities is a bad bad idea on the whole. We need a robust partnership between Public & Private Sector. Certain activities, as mentioned in item 1 can be done only by Public Sector.
Private Sector is only for maximizing "Profit".... You don't want to prop up all the Profiteers in the Society. We need fully integrated, educated workforce where there is meaningful Regulation to oversee the whole activity.
5. China is the right example next door. Since 1910, China made very serious Structural Changes to gallop forward Socially and Economically:
a. Outlawed the Gods & Religions and clamed the One Child Policy to control Population growth. This is a key decision.
b. They started building the Society from the bottom up: Education and healthcare are much better in Rural China than in Rural India.
c. They opted for a Single Party Rule (by Chinese Communist Party, which has nearly 80 million political activists - about 20 Most Powerful PolitB Members, all of whom fight tooth and nail to come up with Policy behind the closed doors... Chinese can do lots of politicking behind the door).
d. They opted for State Capitalism.
All seemed to work better than the Choices that India made.
But the bottomline is which political philosophy would deliver what the people want. America has a Two Party System, Britain and India took the Multi Party System and China chose the One Party System with a mechanism for political activism.
Unless India brings CHANGES on a war-footing, it will be relegated to the back bench of Nations for decades to come!
Wait & watch.