• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

For the really open/broad minded -- Different ways of reciting Gayatri Mantram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear TB.com friends --

This is for the really open-minded members...I received this forward a couple of weeks back, and was impressed enough to share this here. I disclaim any concept of right and wrong while forwarding the same.

Thanks,

~ Raghu Sankaran

P.S. You need speakers to appreciate the link.

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: Ramana Rajgopaul <[email protected]>; kv chari <[email protected]>; [email protected]
Sent: Sun, November 29, 2009 10:18:09 PM
Subject: The Gayathri Mantram

It is amazing to see how many different groups in the world are chanting the Gayatri Mantra.

Mitesh has combined some of them to make 10 Minutes video. Please share this video with your friends and relatives.

Here is the link for the Video on YouTube:
YouTube - The Many Renditions of the Gayatri Mantra

With regards

Padmini Natarajan

Visual effects are good. May be Gayatri Mantra pronuciation may undergo drastic changes in the future.

All the best

Last edited:
My point is -- we don't even realize how Gayatri Mantram pronunciation has changed over the last 1000+ years...and, RVR ji, as you said, who knows how it may change further? In which case, the question is -- who decides what is the correct pronunciation? Just a thought, I am too ignorant to pass any opinion.

gayatri mantram

dear sir,
Namaskaram,
Gayatri mantram is asthivartam of brahmins . chanting of gayatri mantaram gurumukhama khatindu veda swaratora sollanam. istathku pattu parara madri ellam chant pannakuradhu. veda swarama sonna da gayatrimantram other wise i think that is not mantram but slokam.
arunachaleswarayanamaha

dear all,
since the gayatri mantra was brought up here, i just want someone to shed some light on the correct pronounciation of it.
Any mantra in the Gayatri Candha has 24 syallables.
Gayatri mantra starts from tat savitur varenyam
bhargo devasya dhimahi
dheeyo yo nah prachodayat.

Om bhur bhuva svah is not in the gayatri chanda syallable counting.

in the commercial singing of the Gayatri Mantra
Lets count( i am breaking all the sandhi in the mantra to count the syallble)
So it might look different from how it is usually spelt(after applying the sandhi rules)

Tat Sa vi tuh
Va ren yam
Bha gha De vas ya
Dhi ma hi
Dhi ya ya nah
pra cho da yat

in the above way of reciting (commercial way) only 23 syallables are there.

i want some clarification;
if pronounced like this( following the accents)

tat sa vi tuh

va re en yam

bha ga de vas ya

dhi ma hi

dhi ya ya nah

pra cho da yat

then we get 24 syallables .

but i want to know which is the correct way to pronounce.
mostly recite the 23 syallable way.
is it ok?
please kindly illuminate my intellect.

Last edited:
"Gayathri Mantra"

Dear Friends :

I happended to listen to a good cassette/CD released by "Swami Sukhabodhananda". He has dealt the meaning, pronounciation and the benefits of chanting gayathri mantra very exhaustively& explicitly.

It is always good to get correct guidance on such issues from persons who have ascended the 'Vysya Peedam' for there learnings are considered to be pure & sacred.

I am not sure if this link is available in the internet. Request one of our friends to check and revert..

Anbudan

Sanki

Different ways of reciting Gayathri Mantram

Sir,
H.H.Jagat Guru Kripalu Maharaj is an authority on "HINDU RELIGION,now aged 87 years.I have listened to his discourses in HINDI about getting real 'ANANDA' in life and how to get away from the influence of 'MAYA' etc.
He quotes extensively various hindu scriptures in his lectures and also the verse no,the chapter and the source.
In one of his lectures he mentioned that Gayathri Mantra is recited in different ways by different people and to get the best results one should pronounce the same in a particular way.
His lectures come in TV channels--"AAJTHAK" "SANSKAR".
You can get more details from his website"www.jkp.org
B.Krishnamurthy

krishnamurthy,

i think about 25 or so years ago, i was gifted with a LP of jesudoss chanting gayatri.

when i played it the first time, i sort of expected, some different modes. instead, it was the mild chant several several times for the duration of the LP (for those youngsters, LP is a long playing vinyl record rotating at 33 1/3 rounds per second :) )

not sure if there was a count in this LP. ie 1008 or 108!

ofcourse, like everything else concerning me, i got tired of it, and not sure where the record lies now, in this age of CDs.

soooo, in the context, in my lifteime of 59+ odd years, gayatri has come a long way, from the closed chant at 14 upanayanam when the priest told me not to chant it in front of non brahmins, to the avani avittams which was a joke played on youngsters by the so called elders, ... and ultimately to the discovery of ramanuja, which somewhat restored my faith.

krishnamurthy, the purpose of the note, is that while appreciating the 'autority' of the several folks of gayatri, i wish to say, that this chant has been abused to such an extent by the brahmins, that if wishes could come alive, perhaps someone would dip it in the holy ganga one million and 8 times - not for its sake, but for the crimes against humanity committed in its name by the so called upholders of the faith.

i wish to disagree with you, that any current day swami is an authority of gayatri. a said swami, i think can have an interpretation, and a said following can adhere to it. \

in the context of gayatri, there is no absolute. interpretation or otherwise. i think so, anyway.

amazing so few a syllables, supposed with so much inherent power, becomes an instrument, of the most obtuse racist tool, of a fellow hindu against another.

disgusting.

thank you.

dear sir,
ple3ase chant the gayatri mantram as your veda says, swaram is different for chanting gayatrijapam in every veda. dont chant as a song .

Different ways of reciting Gayathri Mantram

SRI.KUNJUPPU,
I am unable to agree with your viewpoint.While you are free to have your view on any subject,I feel sad that you jump to conclusion without even
trying to know what is what.I feel we should not try to form our opinion with our limited knowledge or out of ignorance.Acharya KRIPALU MAHARAJ IS NOT A MODERN GODMAN OR GURU.HE HAS DEVOTED HIS ENTIRE LIFE
in GIVING POSITIVE AND HEALTHY KNOWLEDGE on HINDU scriptures and he has large number of DEVOTEES throughout the world

SRI.KUNJUPPU,
I am unable to agree with your viewpoint.While you are free to have your view on any subject,I feel sad that you jump to conclusion without even
trying to know what is what.I feel we should not try to form our opinion with our limited knowledge or out of ignorance.Acharya KRIPALU MAHARAJ IS NOT A MODERN GODMAN OR GURU.HE HAS DEVOTED HIS ENTIRE LIFE
in GIVING POSITIVE AND HEALTHY KNOWLEDGE on HINDU scriptures and he has large number of DEVOTEES throughout the world

thank you krishnamurthy.

my own experience with godmen have not been good. maybe i see them all with tinted glasses. sorry for any hurt feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back