• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Foodie Anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm !!! Amma pannina thayir saadam with maavadu AMRTAM !! Idli sambar from ADIGA'S, Phulka and Gobi Manchurian from INSWING (opp BDA complex, BSK 2nd stage),Masala dosa from VIDYARTHI BHAVAN,Basavangudi and looooooot more in B'lore....

Neenga namba oora ?

maam,

neenga namba oora ? Great !!!!!

ya, bangalore is a haven for eateries, pubs, bars & medical shops !!!!!

i am sure you would have tried the foodcourts at Forum, Garuda, Big Bazaar etc....

Just down Inswing towards DG Petrol bunk, a reliance mall is expected. surely it will come with a foodcourt attached.

oh my bengaluru !!!!!

Mmmm !!! Amma pannina thayir saadam with maavadu AMRTAM !! Idli sambar from ADIGA'S, Phulka and Gobi Manchurian from INSWING (opp BDA complex, BSK 2nd stage),Masala dosa from VIDYARTHI BHAVAN,Basavangudi and looooooot more in B'lore....

I remember my childhood days when we used to travel in trains with a 7-tiered tiffin carrier with different coloured rice in each (lemon rice, tenga rice, puli rice, thair saatham, puri, potato curry etc.).

It used to be great fun. However, the expression on fellow (North Indian) co-pasengers eyes used to vary from genuine curiosity to complete puzzlement.

I am sure the 7-tier tiffin box is still preserved in most tambram households as family heirloom!

Over the years, traveling with assorted food of such varieties has become rare. Flight menu is horribly bland and rare railway travel has to make do with what is dished out by the Railway people or sometimes we carry poori + potato curry which still happens to be my favourite.

Well, my mom is from Palakkad. So I know what you are talking about. You forgot Chakka Pradhaman and Chakka Varatti. Ofcourse we cant forget Olan.
Nothing can compare to 'mom cooked food " :)))

My father is from Palakkad, Mother from Thanjavur. My mother is an expert in cooking both types of cuisine. My fav. is Avial, thengai thuvayal, milagu kuzhambu, eriseri, and Ada prathaman. One cannot compare these types of food with any fast food. Agree?
Bagya

Dear Ramki:
This is NOT fair!! Being from the heart of Thanjavur, I have been deprived of those wonderful and delicious dishes such as chakka pradaman, Ada prathaman and chakka varatti. I have had the pleasure of tasting eri cheri; it was divine! I think the Palakad Tamil-brahmins are a special bunch! I am not surprised; you know why?
The story goes that all the Palakad Tamil-Brahmins originated from Thanjavur!!
Could someone provide recipes for the above dishes? I also want to know the Tamil names for these!

Kerala desserts

Dear Ramki:
This is NOT fair!! Being from the heart of Thanjavur, I have been deprived of those wonderful and delicious dishes such as chakka pradaman, Ada prathaman and chakka varatti. I have had the pleasure of tasting eri cheri; it was divine! I think the Palakad Tamil-brahmins are a special bunch! I am not surprised; you know why?
The story goes that all the Palakad Tamil-Brahmins originated from Thanjavur!!
Could someone provide recipes for the above dishes? I also want to know the Tamil names for these!
Sir, Ada prathaman, chakka prathaman are popular payasams of Kerala.
Ada prathaman is made with milk and kutti adais(made of rice flour). A lengthy process! You get ready made adais in grocery stores. I think Bawarchi.com will have the exact recipe. Chakka prathaman is made with jackfruit jam(Chakka is malayalam word for jackfruit). Chakka varatti is actually jackfruit jam made with jaggery. Am I right, Ramkiji?

Thanks Bagya.

Silverfox, here are some links for the chakka... recipies

http://greenjackfruit.blogspot.com/2006/04/chakka-pradhaman-aka-jackfruit-payasam.html

http://deepann.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/chakka-varattijack-fruit-jam/

Here is a very nice link for ada pradhaman

http://forumhub.com/southfood/28321.21.25.30.html

Reg Palakkad Brahmins originating from Thanjavur, I didnt know that. Maybe there is some linkage that needs to researched.

BTW, one of the great TamilBrahmins from Palakkad, TN Seshan, once quipped that "Palakkad Brahmins excel in four fields as, civil servants, musicians, cooks and crooks". I dont belong to the first three categories. That obviously places me in the fourth :))

Ramki

Sir, Ada prathaman, chakka prathaman are popular payasams of Kerala.
Ada prathaman is made with milk and kutti adais(made of rice flour). A lengthy process! You get ready made adais in grocery stores. I think Bawarchi.com will have the exact recipe. Chakka prathaman is made with jackfruit jam(Chakka is malayalam word for jackfruit). Chakka varatti is actually jackfruit jam made with jaggery. Am I right, Ramkiji?

Last edited:
Oh my god, ellarum 7 layer Burrito va maranthuteengale.

7 layer burrito with fries supreme.Comes to the rescue of veggies travelling in the US....I dont know if there is any egg at all. but they claim it is suitable for veggies.

How do you eat burrito? From top to bottom in a single bite or layer by layer?

7 layer burrito with fries supreme.Comes to the rescue of veggies travelling in the US....I dont know if there is any egg at all. but they claim it is suitable for veggies.

culinary spartan

Friends
I am a spartan as far as food is concerned. I dont have any special liking for any food. I do like good food which to me is just any edible veg food.
No special preference for dishes and the way they cook.

I like all veggie food xcept for bitter-gourd and sundakkai. But my mom and wife always make that extra effort to thrust it down my throat atleast once in 10 days.
icon9.gif

It gives them some satisfaction ??

My mom even says keep your face cheerful and happy when you eat bitter gourd. You must respect it and should enjoy it .

Arrggghhhh! Talk about chinese tortures and sense of humour.

Regarding 7-layer burrito , I think it is one of the life savers for veggies who just home into Taco Bell shops in US. Viva mexico!
As far as LQ's question goes, You dont ask questions when you are hungry,
Just stuff it in!

kashyap

Food I hate from the bottom of my heart: Kottavarangaai (it is a kind of thin stranded bean, horrible taste) I hold the record of not having it till date!

sirs - my knowledge is that 'kothavarangai' and 'vaazhakkai' are used only for inauspicious occasions. i do not know the exact reasons.

A very good Cook book

Thanks Bagya.

Silverfox, here are some links for the chakka... recipies

http://greenjackfruit.blogspot.com/2006/04/chakka-pradhaman-aka-jackfruit-payasam.html

http://deepann.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/chakka-varattijack-fruit-jam/

Here is a very nice link for ada pradhaman

http://forumhub.com/southfood/28321.21.25.30.html

Reg Palakkad Brahmins originating from Thanjavur, I didnt know that. Maybe there is some linkage that needs to researched.

BTW, one of the great TamilBrahmins from Palakkad, TN Seshan, once quipped that "Palakkad Brahmins excel in four fields as, civil servants, musicians, cooks and crooks". I dont belong to the first three categories. That obviously places me in the fourth :))
Ramki

Dear Sri Ramki Ji,

My wife's father was from Palghat and her mother was from near Trichy. I have learnt quite a bit about the 'Palghat mystique' in the last five years. Brahmins from there elicit a rather unique responses from the Tanjore Brahmins. My uncle used to outright reject any Jathagams that came for my elder sister from Palghat! He used to say that one can not trust these people!

By the way, there is an excellent Brahmin cook book titled 'Dakshin' by Ms. Chandra Padmanabhan. It is available thru Amazon.com and costs about US$15. I always give a copy of this book to any young Indian couple I meet.

I do not know whether this is available in India.

Pranams,
KRS

NARAS
I dont know about Kothavarangai. But we used to have vazhakkai even on ordinary days. Especially the "Vazhakkai Thoran" my mom used to make used to be so yummy. Even now my mouth is watering. Brahmano Bojana Priyaha !

Ramki

sirs - my knowledge is that 'kothavarangai' and 'vaazhakkai' are used only for inauspicious occasions. i do not know the exact reasons.

Thanks KRS Ji. I will search for that book :)

Ramki
Dear Sri Ramki Ji,

My wife's father was from Palghat and her mother was from near Trichy. I have learnt quite a bit about the 'Palghat mystique' in the last five years. Brahmins from there elicit a rather unique responses from the Tanjore Brahmins. My uncle used to outright reject any Jathagams that came for my elder sister from Palghat! He used to say that one can not trust these people!

By the way, there is an excellent Brahmin cook book titled 'Dakshin' by Ms. Chandra Padmanabhan. It is available thru Amazon.com and costs about US$15. I always give a copy of this book to any young Indian couple I meet.

Pranams,
KRS

Kothavrangai tastes good

Kothavarangai paruppu usili , Koth. porichakuzhambu are both divine. These are my all time favourites.

Bagya

Kothavarangai paruppu usili, oh my God !!! How did I ever forget this ? A great one Bagya. Somehow the Koth.porichakuzhambu never appealed to me although other p.ks were quit tasty.

Ramki

Kothavarangai paruppu usili , Koth. porichakuzhambu are both divine. These are my all time favourites.

Bagya

Folks,

To me the beans usili with paruppu urundai morekuzhabu is a divine combination. May I also add a very good Katharikkai Rasavanghi to the fare.

Dear Sri Ramki Ji, you will find all these recipies in the cook book I mentioned!

Truth Disclosure: I am in no way related to or have any interest in the works of the author of the cook book I have recommended.

Pranams,
KRS

I did not know that Kottavarangaai has so many fans ! Next time it is cooked in my house, I would invite all of you !

Folks,

To me the beans usili with paruppu urundai morekuzhabu is a divine combination. May I also add a very good Katharikkai Rasavanghi to the fare.

Dear Sri Ramki Ji, you will find all these recipies in the cook book I mentioned!

Truth Disclosure: I am in no way related to or have any interest in the works of the author of the cook book I have recommended.

Pranams,
KRS

Good and Bad are everywhere

Dear Sri Ramki Ji,

Pranams,
KRS
Sir
I object to your statement that Palakkad brahmins are not trustworthy. There are many families(Palak. Brahmins) who are broadminded to accept d-in-laws with moolam or aayilyam nakshatram which are rejected by Tanj brahmins totally. So good or bad people are everywhere. Some good qualities of Tanj. brahmins like their hospitality cannot be compared with others.

Nandriyudan
Bagya

Dear Bagya:
Please go back and re-read KRS's statement! HE did not say that Palakkad brahmins are not trustworthy; it was his uncle! Though I am a Thanjavurian by birth, I have great admiration and respect for Palakkad Tamil Brahmins! I greatly admire how they somehow teach their children (and children's children) to read Tamil! Two of the finest people (pallakad tb) you can find are our own - chintana and rxrajamo!!
KRS is probably reminiscing how people used to be in the olden days. I remember my folks talking about not having anything to do with folks from Thirunelveli. Ultimately many of my relatives came from Thirunelveli!! People in the olden days, because many of them confined to living within a village, carried on their unfounded biases. My mother's side were from Kumbakonam and you should hear the snickering stories about people from Kumbakonam!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back