• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

English Translation of Telugu/Hindi/Sanskrit Devotional Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payoji Maine Ram Ratan Dhan Payo - Sri Meerabai

Ah! I have got the jewel like name of Rama. My preceptor has given me an immaculate entity and has accepted me out of benevolence.||1||

I have got the eternal treasure of name of Rama and have lost everything else in the mundane world.||2||

This treasure [name of Rama] does not diminish on spending, and a thief cannot steal it. It increases many times every day.||3||

My preceptor has crossed the ocean of metempsychosis (rebirth cycle) by using the boat like name of Rama.||4||

The Lord of ‘Meera’, Who lifted the mountain Govardhana. Meera sings His glories with immense happiness.||5||

- Meerabai (15-16th Century)
YouTube - Payoji Maine Ram Ratan Dhan Payo by Sri Lata Mangeshkar

Lord Krishna offers a boon to his aunt Kunti,

Kunti the mother of Pandavas replies thus:

O Blessed Lord, "Give me only suffering all my Life; which makes me remember you always. My focus should be always on You."

Ananya Chinthayantho mam Ye jana Paryupasathe, Thesham Nithyabhiyukthanam, Yogakshemam Vahamyaham.

"Those persons, who think of nothing else and worship Me through Meditation(single-pointed concentration/devotion) - to them I carry what they lack, and the maintenance of the welfare of such ever devout person I look after."
- Bhagawad Gita​

Last edited:
Rama nannu brovara - Sri Thygaraja Kirtana

O Rama, Redeem me. O Ruler of the three worlds, with love please come to my Rescue.||

You manifest Yourself in a tiniest ant; as also in Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu(Inner Consciousness of the Universe)

You exist everywhere, showering your Love, O Lord of Sita.||

Will not strive for Name/Fame which is cause of Arrogance

Forgive my mistakes committed knowingly or unknowingly; O Lord of Thyagaraja||

- Sri Thyagaraja( 18th Century)

1. If a person has attained the firm knowledge that he is not an object of perception, but is that pure consciousness which shines clearly in the states of waking, dream and deep sleep, and which, as the witness of the whole universe, dwells in all bodies from that of the Brahma to that of the Ant, then he is my Guru, irrespective of whether he is an outcaste or a Brahmin. This is my conviction.

2. “I am Brahman(Consciousness/Atman/God). It is pure consciousness that appears as this universe. All this is only something conjured up by me because of avidya (nescience) which is composed of the three gunas (sattva, rajas and tamas)”. One who has attained this definite realisation about Brahman which is bliss itself, eternal, supreme and pure, is my Guru, whether he is an outcaste or a Brahmin.

3. Having come to the definite conclusion, under the instruction of his Guru, that the entire universe is always perishable, he who, with a calm and pure mind constantly meditates on Brahman(Consciousness/Atman/God), and who has burnt his past and future sins in the fire of knowledge, submits his present body to the operation of his prarabdha karma is my Guru, whether he is an outcaste or a Brahmin.

4. The Self or pure consciousness is experienced clearly within by animals, men, and gods as ‘I’. It is by the reflection of this pure consciousness that the mind, senses and body, which are all insentient, appear to be sentient. External objects perceived only because of this consciousness. This Self is, however, concealed by the very mind, senses and body which are illumined by it, just as the sun is concealed by clouds. The yogi who, with a calm mind, always meditates on this Self is my Guru. This is my conviction.

5. The Self, which is Brahman, is the eternal ocean of Supreme bliss. By meditating on the Self with a perfectly calm mind, the sage experiences fulfillment. The person whose mind has become identified with this Self is not a mere knower of Brahman, but Brahman itself. Such a person, whoever he may be, is one whose feet are fit to be worshipped by Indra himself. This is my definite conviction.

- Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya(Manisha(My conviction) Panchakam)​

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa(smiling); "One day I remarked that the chatak bird doesn't drink any water except that which falls from the sky. Narendra said, 'The chatak drinks ordinary water as well.' Then I said to the Divine Mother, 'Mother, then are my words untrue?' I was greatly worried about it. Another day, later on, Narendra was here. Several birds were flying about in the room. He exclaimed, 'There! There!' 'What is there?' I asked. He said, 'There is your chatak!' I found they were only bats. Since that day I don't accept what he says."(All laugh.)

"At Jadu Mallick's garden house Narendra said to me, The forms of God that you see are the fiction of your mind."

I was amazed and said to him, 'But they speak too!'

Narendra(Swami Vivekananda) answered, 'Yes, one may think so.'

I went to the temple and wept before the Mother. 'O Mother,' I said, 'what is this? Then is this all false? How could Narendra say that?' Instantly I had a revelation. I saw Consciousness-Indivisible Consciousness-and a divine being formed of that Consciousness. The divine form said to me, 'If your words are untrue, how is that they tally with the facts?' Thereupon I said to Narendra : 'You rogue! You created unbelief in my mind. Don't come here any more.'

"God created this world; and himself entered into it." - Upanishad Statement/Experience of Realised Souls

Om Asatoma sadgamaya
tamasoma jyotirgamaya
mrutyorma amrutangamaya
Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti hi

Om. From the unreal lead me to the Real.
From darkness (ignorance) lead me to Light (knowledge).
From death lead me to Immortality.
Om. Peace, Peace, Peace
--------------------------------------
rAma nannu brOvarA prEmathO lOkAbhi||

chimalO brahmalO shiva kEshavAdulalO
prEma mIra melugu cuNDe birudu vAhincina sItA||

meppulakai kannatAvu-nappu baDaga virravIgi
tappu panulu lEka unDE tyAgarAja vinuta sItA||

Last edited:
Krishna Ni Begane Baaro - by Sri Vyasaraya Tirtha (Kannada)

Source: Wikipedia

Krishna! Come hither soon!
Show me your face!
Beautiful anklets adorn your feet! Sapphire bracelets on your arms!
Oh! Blue coloured one. Please come hither dancing!
Waistbands with bells adorn your waist! Ring(s) on your finger(s)!
The divine Vaijayanthi necklace garlands your neck!
Sacred Saffron cloth from Kashi covers you! a flute in your hand(s)!
Oh dear! Your body is anointed with sandal paste!

The one who showed his mother the Universe in his mouth

That Benefactor of the world is our Shri Krishna!

- Sri Vyasaraya Tirtha(15th Century)

"He who works for Me, has Me for the Supreme Goal, is devoted to Me, and Non-attached, and bears no hatred towards any creature, he attains to Me, O Pandava(Arjuna)."
- Bhagawad Gita

Koluvudi Bhakthi Kondala Koneti - Sri Annamayya Kirtana

O Mind! Worship the Lord of the (seven)hills with all devotion.

The repository of all wealth(Spiritual/Worldly), dwelling near the (pushkarini)tank.||

Worship the primordial Lord, the birthless one, the musical sound of Sama Veda, the all-skillful one;

who doesn't have even a touch of hatred, who is the way of life for the pious/calm/sattvic/pure natured.||

Worship the Supreme Lord, whose nature is beyond anyone's comprehension;

the Lord of Venkatadri Hill,

the Transcendental being(beyond the senses/mind/intellect),

the Lord of the Mother Earth.||

- Sri Annamacharya(15 Century)

YouTube - Koluvudi Bhakthi kondala koneti - Sri M.S.Subbalakshmi

"Fix your mind on Me alone, let your intellect rest in Me, you will live in Me alone hereafter; there is no doubt(about it). If, however, you are not able to fix the mind steadily on Me, then through the Yoga of practice seek to attain Me, O Dhananjaya. If you are unable even to practice, then solely devoted to rites(customary duties) for Me; even by doing duties for My sake, you will attain perfection.

If, however, you are unable to do even this, then taking refuge in Me and being self-controlled, renounce the fruit of all actions. Knowledge is superior to (mere)practice, meditation is superior to knowledge, superior to meditation is renunciation of fruit of action, from renunciation results peace immediately.

All the worlds, O Arjuna, including the world of Brahma are subject to recurrence, but after attaining Me there is no rebirth, O son of Kunti. That Supreme Being, O Partha, in whom are all beings and by whom all this is pervaded, is attainable by one-point devotion. Fix your mind on Me, be My devotee, sacrifice to Me; thus fixing the mind on Me and having Me for the supreme goal, you will attain Me alone."
- Bhagawad Gita
Tvameva Mata Cha Pita Tvameva
Tvameva Bandhuscha Sakha Tvameva
Tvameva Vidya Dravinam Tvameva
Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva

O Lord! Thou art my mother and Thou art my father;
Thou art my relative and my friend Thou art;
Thou art knowledge and wealth unto me;
Thou art my all-in-all, O Lord of Lords!

Pahi Ramaprabho - by Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu

Salutations to Thee. O Lord Sri Ramachandra
Salutations to Thee. O Lord of Vaidehi*.||

Salutations to Thee. O Lord of Matchless beauty,
the source of Inexhaustible bliss;
dwelling in the hearts of all beings
Salutations to Thee.||

Salutations to Thee. O Lord Sri Ramachandra
Your omnipresent radiance of matchless splendor is a delight to our eyes.
Salutations to Thee.||

You are our Mother;
You are our Father;
You are our Brother;
You are our Supporter
Salutations to Thee.||

Knowing you to be birthless, beginningless Lord of all creatures
we salute you, O Sri Ramachandra; O Lord of Universe.||

With the sacred mantra of “Sri Rama Ramethi”
we call upon you, O Lord Sri Ramachandra||

O Sri Rama, my mind only wants the divine elixir of your sacred name.||

To bless your devotees in this Kali Yuga, you have incarnated on the Bhadradri Mount (Bhadrachalam).||

On seeing you, O Immutable Lord, the cause of all; all your devotees are ecstatic.||

O Sri Ramachandra! Take care of all of us, who surrendered themselves to your lotus feet.
O Lord of Bhadhrachalam||

- Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu(17th Century)

"Akashat patitam toyam sagaram prati gacchati, sarva deva namaskaram Keshavam prati gacchati"​
"As the rain water finally reaches the sea, offerings/salutations to various Gods/Goddesses reach that one Supreme Being"​
*Sita is known as Vaidehi, daughter of King Janaka - who earned the sobriquet "Videha" due to his ability to transcend body consciousness and work with Non-attachment. Lord Krishna quotes King Janaka as a perfect example of Karma Yogi in Bhagawad Gita.

-------------------------------​

An extract from – 'Ramayana by C. Rajagopalachari', an abridged English version ofValmiki Ramayana

Dasaratha to Kaikeyi

“Kaikeyi, who has corrupted your mind to see me dead and our race destroyed? I cannot believe that this evil thought is your own. How often have you told me, my dear, that, noble as Bharata is, Rama is nobler still? How can you even entertain the thought of his going away into the wilderness infested by ferocious beasts? How lovingly has Rama treated you and served you! How can you forget all this and steel your heart and utter the words, ‘Send him to the forest’? What fault has he committed? Of the hundreds of women in the palace, has anyone ever uttered a word against his honour or virtue? The whole world loves him for his great and good qualities. How did you alone among so many find cause to dislike him? Is not Rama like Indra himself? Is not his face radiant with goodness and Spiritual light like a Rishi? The whole world praises his truthfulness and friendliness, his learning and wisdom, his heroism and humility. No one has heard a harsh word from his lips. How can I, his father, say to him ‘Son, go to the forest’? This can never be. Have mercy on me, an old man nearing the end of his days. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - -

Sita's Resolve

Rama left Sita and went to the King in answer to the message brought by Sumantra. Sita was expecting Rama to return in a chariot with the royal umbrella, followed by a great retinue. But now she saw Rama return alone, unattended, with none of the royal insignia. And she noted on his face the glow of some fixed resolve. Rama was thinking as he came how he could break to his beloved the news that his father had decreed that he was to go to forest.

“Something troubles the mind of my lord.” thought Sita, “but what can anything matter so long as there is our love?” And she asked him: “What is the matter? Why do you look so strangely?”

Rama told the story briefly and then added: “Princess, my love, I can well imagine your sorrow at having to part from me and stay here. Janaka’s daughter requires not my guidance to her duty. Be thoughtful of the comfort of the kind and the three queens – your mothers. Your love for me, I trust, will not grow any less during this absence. I shall return from forest after these fourteen years. Till then do not neglect customary rites and ceremonies. Mother Kausalya in her sorrow will need your attentive care. Bharata and Satrughna are dear to me. You will look upon them as your brothers. Conduct yourself as befits your royal race and your own nature. Avoid extolling me as to give possible offence to other good men. I must go to the forest today. Keep your mind steady and calm.”

When Sita heard this unexpected speech, her love for Rama manifested itself as anger that he should for a moment conceive that she could consent to part from him and live in comfort in the palace while he was a homeless wanderer in pathless forests.

“A fine speech you have made, O Knower of dharma. It is to me a strange doctrine that a wife is diverse from her husband and that his duty is not hers, and that she has no right to share in it. I can never accept it. I hold that your fortunes are mine, and if Rama has to go to the forest, the command includes Sita also, who is a part of him. I shall walk in front of you in the forest ways and tread the thorns and the hard ground to make them smooth for your feet. Do not think me obstinate. My father and mother have instructed me in dharma. What you tell me is totally opposed to what they have taught me. To go with you wherever you go – that is my only course. If you must go to the forest today, then today I go with you. There is no room here for any discussion. Do not think that I cannot bear forest life.. With you by my side it will be a joyous holiday. I shall not be a source of trouble to you. I shall eat fruits and roots like you and I shall not lag behind as we walk.

I have long wished to go to the woods with you and rejoice in the sight of great mountains and rivers. I shall spend the time most happily among the birds and flowers, bathing in the rivers and doing the daily rites.

Away from you, I do not care for Heaven itself. I shall surely die if you leave me behind. I implore you to take me with you. Have pity on me. Do not forsake me now.”

Beginning in anger, her speech ended in sobs. Raama explained Sita that life in the forest was not an easy as she thought and set out at great length the difficulties and dangers and again insisted that she should not think of accompanying him.

Sita’s eyes filled with tears. “Tigers, lions, bears, snakes – none of them will come near me. They will flee from us at the sight of you. The sun, rain, wind and hunger and the spikes and thorny you speak of – I shall endure them all
cheerfully.

I am not in the least afraid, and on the other hand you may be certain life will depart from this body if you leave me here and go.”

“For whom is forest life unpleasant? Only to those men and women who have not controlled their senses. You and I can be masters of our senses and miss nothing. I implore you, put me not away from you, for parting from you is more cruel than death.”

-------------------------------

pAhi rAmapraBhO pAhi rAmapraBhO
pAhi BhadrAdri vaidEhi rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

iMdirA hRdayAraviMdAdhi rUDha
suMdarAkAra nAnaMda rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

eMdunE cUDa mee suMdarA nanamu
kaMdunO kan&nuliMpoMda SyAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

tallivi neeve mA taMDrivi neeve
mA dAtavu neevu mA BhrAta rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

AdimadhyAMta bahiraMtarAtmuMDanucu
vAdiMtunE jagan&nAtha rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

Sree rAmarAmEti SrEShTha maMtramu
sAre sAre kunu viMtagA caduvu rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

Sree rAma nee nAma ciMtanAmRta pAna
sAramE nAdu madi gOru rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

kaliki rUpamu dAlci kaliyugaMbuna neevu
velasitivi BhadrAdri nilaya rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

avyayuDavaina ee avatAramulavalana
divyulainAru munulayya rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|

pAhi Sree rAma nee pAda padmASrayula
pAliMpumA BhadraSaila rAmapraBhO |pAhi rAmapraBhO ...|​

Last edited:
Sri Rajasekar,

Do you have full translation of `Nidhi saala sugama' of Tyagayya

All the best

Saw this just now. Sorry for the intrusion. But thot of providing translation for Nidhi chala sukhama.

Nidhi chala sukhama? Ramuni sannidhi seva sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama ?

Does wealth give happiness? (or) Does the pleasure of serving Rama give happiness? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Dadhi navaneeta kshiramulu rucho? Dasarathi dhyana bhajana sudha rasamu rucho? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama ?

Is curd rice tasty, milk tasty? (or) Is meditating upon the nectar of bhajana of Dasarathi’s son tasty? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Dama samamu anu ganga snanamu sukhama? Kardama durvishaya koopa snanamu sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa.

Does taking bath in the Ganga of the self give happiness? (or) Does taking bath in the well of negative things give happiness? Tell me truthfully o mind.

Mamata bandhana yuta nara stuti sukhama? Sumati tyagaraja nutuni kirtana sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama?

Does singing stuti of men in the bondage of mamata give happiness? (or) Does the kirtana of Tyagaraja (on Bhagavan Shri Rama) give happiness? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Beautiful rendition though partial: YouTube - nidhi chala sukhama tyagayya

In this song, Sri Tyagayya is asking His mind, what gives it happiness ? is it wealth? indulging in senses of the tongue? base senses of thoughts ? singing praises of men? In short, He is asking if “progress” (and the path to it) give the mind happiness? (OR) does the nectarine (opportunity to live in the) service of Bhagavan Rama give happiness?

Apparently, we all know what Tyagayya’s mind opted for. And which path is blessed.

Regards.

These are a few add-ons. They are not part of the original compo. I made them up; to sing in the same pattern :

Nee seva thyaginchina durbhagya manishulo sukhama? Raama layni manusu dehaaniki sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chaala sukhama ?

Is there happiness in the unfortunate people who forsake your seva? Is a body without Raama in its heart happy? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Mamata karma bandha jeevamulu sukhama? Raama bhikshinchina jeeva sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama ?

Are lives lived in ego and bondage of karma happy? (or) Is a life (lived as) as a blessing from Rama happy? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Veda saahitya tyaginchina sampaardhyam sukhama? Sahityani jeevinchina aatma sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa.

Are earnings from abandoning association with knowledge happiness? (or) Is a soul that lives its composition happy? Tell me truthfully o mind.

Last edited:
Namaste Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing the meaning and video. i don't know about this song; seems to be one of the popular songs of Sri Thyagaraja. Just now i listened to the song rendered by Sri Balamuralikrishna; Ah! It is mind-blowing.

All the translations i am posting here are from my mails, which i have prepared in the past two and half years; having listened to those songs for more than three years. I used to get rid of all the stress accumulated during the delivery of projects by listening to these soul-stirring songs.

I think one needs to listen to the songs of Saint Thyagaraja(traditionally regarded as re-incarnation of Sage Valmiki) atleast 50-100times, with an attitude of Bhakthi before translating them.

With Respect and Regards,
Rajasekhar

Saw this just now. Sorry for the intrusion. But thot of providing translation for Nidhi chala sukhama.

Nidhi chala sukhama? Ramuni sannidhi seva sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama ?

Does wealth give happiness? (or) Does the pleasure of serving Rama give happiness? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Dadhi navaneeta kshiramulu rucho? Dasarathi dhyana bhajana sudha rasamu rucho? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama ?

Is curd rice tasty, milk tasty? (or) Is meditating upon the nectar of bhajana of Dasarathi’s son tasty? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Dama samamu anu ganga snanamu sukhama? Kardama durvishaya koopa snanamu sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa.

Does taking bath in the Ganga of the self give happiness? (or) Does taking bath in the well of negative things give happiness? Tell me truthfully o mind.

Mamata bandhana yuta nara stuti sukhama? Sumati tyagaraja nutuni kirtana sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama?

Does singing stuti of men in the bondage of mamata give happiness? (or) Does the kirtana of Tyagaraja (on Bhagavan Shri Rama) give happiness? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Beautiful rendition though partial: YouTube - nidhi chala sukhama tyagayya

In this song, Sri Tyagayya is asking His mind, what gives it happiness ? is it wealth? indulging in senses of the tongue? base senses of thoughts ? singing praises of men? In short, He is asking if “progress” (and the path to it) give the mind happiness? (OR) does the nectarine (opportunity to live in the) service of Bhagavan Rama give happiness?

Apparently, we all know what Tyagayya’s mind opted for. And which path is blessed.

Regards.

Namaste Madam,

Thank you very much for sharing the meaning and video. i don't know about this song; seems to be one of the popular songs of Sri Thyagaraja. Just now i listened to the song rendered by Sri Balamuralikrishna; Ah! It is mind-blowing.

All the translations i am posting here are from my mails, which i have prepared in the past two and half years; having listened to those songs for more than three years. I used to get rid of all the stress accumulated during the delivery of projects by listening to these soul-stirring songs.

I think one needs to listen to the songs of Saint Thyagaraja(traditionally regarded as re-incarnation of Sage Valmiki) atleast 50-100times, with an attitude of Bhakthi before translating them.

Rajasekhar

Dear Rajasekhar,

Thyagayya is beautiful. Am not sure about bhakti. Bhagavan decides. Raama layni manasu dehaniki sukhama ?

Maybe this answers the question of who is the sutradhari and paatradhari in His stories: YouTube - samayaniki thagu tyagayya movie song

Excellent Madam.

Thanks a lot for sharing :)

Rajasekhar

These are a few add-ons. They are not part of the original compo. I made them up; to sing in the same pattern :

Nee seva thyaginchina durbhagya manishulo sukhama? Raama layni manusu dehaaniki sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chaala sukhama ?

Is there happiness in the unfortunate people who forsake your seva? Is a body without Raama in its heart happy? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Mamata karma bandha jeevamulu sukhama? Raama bhikshinchina jeeva sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa. Nidhi chala sukhama ?

Are lives lived in ego and bondage of karma happy? (or) Is a life (lived as) as a blessing from Rama happy? Tell me truthfully o mind. Does wealth give happiness?

Veda saahitya tyaginchina sampaardhyam sukhama? Sahityani jeevinchina aatma sukhama? Nijamuga paluku manasa.

Are earnings from abandoning association with knowledge happiness? (or) Is a soul that lives its composition happy? Tell me truthfully o mind.

Last edited:
Sri Ramachandra Kripalu Bhajamana - by Sant Tulsidas

O blessed mind! Always meditate upon Lord Sri Ramachandra, Who is full of Grace! He surely eliminates the dreaded fear of Bhava (transmigration through worldly existence), which is extremely fierce! Oh, fortunate mind! Adore the beauty of His eyes, resembling the pink petals of freshly bloomed lotus. Worship His tender, fragrant, lotus face, the delicate reddish lotus flowers of His hands and feet. |1|

I prostrate to the most handsome Lord having infinite charm, whose beauty excels uncountable cupids, and whose transcendental bodily luster resembles dark, fresh rain-filled clouds. My sincere salutations to the chosen Groom of Sita Devi, the divine Daughter of King Janaka, and to the Lord, Who is clad in ever pure yellow silk garments, shining as bright as the lightning. |2|

O naive mind! Meditate upon the glory of Lord RAma, Who is the true Friend of the poor and afflicted, the sole Refuge of the distressed! Being the effulgent transcendental sun, my Lord has destroyed the ignorant, evil-minded demons by His prowess. The beloved Son of King Dasaratha, who is the very source of Bliss, is also the source of joy and pride to the entire Raghu dynasty. He ever reigns over the kingdom of Kosala and shines as the cool transcendental moon. |3|

O restless mind! Fondly remember the tall, enchanting Personality of Beloved RAma, Who is adorned with the Royal crown, charming earrings, beautiful auspicious mark of Tilak on forehead along with other elegant jewels on His blessed body, Always think of His extremely charming form, holding the victorious bow and arrows in his lovely long arms which reach all the way up to knee-point (AjAnubhuja), He who conquered the fierce demons like Khara and Dushana in battle. |4|

Tulasi DAsa is glorifying his Lord thus, "O Lord, Who is the Source of unlimited Divine Bliss to the minds of Lord Shiva, Shesha as well as all other great Sages, O my beloved Lord, please reside in my Lotus-Heart, so that all the worldly desires and other offenses can be destroyed completely. " |5|

- Sant Tulsidas(16th Century)

"God has put you in the world. What can you do about it? Resign everything to Him. Surrender yourself at His feet. Then there will be no more confusion. Then you will realise that it is God who does everything. All depends on

'the will of Rama'."
"In a certain village there lived a weaver. He was a very pious, soul. Everyone trusted him and loved him. He used to sell his goods in the market-place.

When a customer asked him the price of a piece of cloth, the weaver would say:
'By the will of Rama the price of the yarn is one rupee and the labour four annas ;
by the will of Rama the profit is two annas.

The price of the cloth, by the will of Rama, is one rupee and six annas.'
Such was the people's faith in the weaver that the customer would at once pay the price and take the cloth.

The weaver was a real devotee of God. After finishing his supper in the evening, he would spend long hours' in the worship hall meditating on God and chanting His name and glories.

Now, late one night the weaver couldn't get to sleep. He was sitting in the worship hall, smoking now and then, when a band of robbers happened to pass that way. They wanted a man to carry their goods and said to the weaver, 'Come with us.' So saying, they led him off by the hand. After committing a robbery in a house, they put a load of things on the weaver's head, commanding him to carry them. Suddenly the police arrived and the robbers ran away. But the weaver, with his load, was arrested. He was kept in the lock-up for the night. Next day he was brought before the magistrate for trial.

The villagers learnt what had happened and came to court. They said to the magistrate, 'Your Honour, this man could never commit a robbery.' Thereupon the magistrate asked the weaver to make his statement.

'The weaver said: 'Your Honour, by the will of Rama I finished my meal at night. Then by the will of Rama I was sitting in the worship hall. It was quite late at night by the will of Rama. By the will of Rama I had been thinking of God and chanting His name and glories, when by the will of Rama a band of robbers passed that way. By the will of Rama they dragged me with them; by the will of Rama they committed a robbery in a house; and by the will of Rama they put a load on my head. Just then, by the will of Rama the police arrived, and by the will of Rama I was arrested. Then by the will of Rama the police kept me in the lock-up for the night, and this morning by the will of Rama I have been brought before Your Honour.' The magistrate realised that the weaver was a pious man and ordered his release. On his way home the weaver said to his friends,

'By the will of Rama I have been released.'

- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

"People have become so degraded in this Kali Yuga that they think they can do anything, and then they can go to a holy place, and their sins will be forgiven. If a man goes with an impure mind into a temple, he adds to the sins that he had already, and goes home a worse man than when he left it. Tirtha (place of pilgrimage) is a place which is full of holy things and holy men. But if holy people live in a certain place, and if there is no temple there, even that is a Tirtha. If unholy people live in a place where there may be a hundred temples, the Tirtha has vanished from that place. And it is most difficult to live in a Tirtha; for if sin is committed in any ordinary place it can easily be removed, but sin committed in a Tirtha cannot be removed. This is the gist of all worship — to be pure and to do good to others.

He who sees Shiva in the poor, in the weak, and in the diseased, really worships Shiva; and if he sees Shiva only in the image, his worship is but preliminary. He who has served and helped one poor man seeing Shiva in him, without thinking of his caste, or creed, or race, or anything, with him Shiva is more pleased than with the man who sees Him only in temples."
- Swami Vivekananda

Sarve bhavantu sukhinah
Sarve santu niraamayaah
Sarve bhadraani pashyantu
Maakaschit duhkha bhaag bhavet

May all be happy! (sukhinah)
May all be free from disabilities! (niraamayaah)
May all look (pashyantu) to the good of others!
May none suffer from sorrow! (duhkha)

---------------------------------------​
Shriramachandra kripalu bhaju mana harana bhavabhaya darunam,
Navakanja-lochana, kanjamukha kara kanja pada kanjarunam. |1|

Kandarpa aganita amita chavinava neela-neeraja sundaram,
Pata peeta manahu tadita ruchi shuchi noumi, janaka sutavaram. |2|

Bhaju deenbandhu dinesha danava-daitya-vansha-nikandanam,
Raghunanda anandakanda koshala chandra dasharatha-nanadanam. |3|

Shira mukuta kundala tilaka charu udaru anga vibhushanam,
Aajaanubhuja shara-chaapa-dhara, sangrama-jita-khara dushanam. |4|

Iti vadati tulasidasa shankara-sesha-muni-mana-ranjanam,
Mama hridaya kanja-nivaasa kuru, kaamaadi khala-dala-ganjanam. |5|​

Last edited:
Parama Purusha Nirupamana - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

O Supreme Lord, You are unparalleled.

Your heart is Mother Lakshmi's abode.

I surrender to you.||

One with Lotus like navel; with Lotus like eyes

You are the Lord of multitude of Devatas and Sages.

You are the care taker of the cows.

You are the bestower of boons.

I surrender to you.||

You are the absolute.

You are four armed, wielding conch and discus.

I surrender to you.||

O Lord of the Venkata hill, you are Marvellous.

You are the Lord of Anjaneya.

I surrender to you.||

- Sri Annamayya (15th Century)

"Non-envious, friendly, and compassionate towards all beings, free from ideas of possession and ego-consciousness, sympathetic in pain and pleasure, forgiving, always contended, contemplative, self-controlled, of firm conviction with his mind and intellect dedicated to Me – such a devotee of Mine is dear to Me.

From whom the world gets no trouble, and who gets no trouble from the world, who is free from elation, jealousy, fear and anxiety – he is dear to Me. Independent, clean, dexterous, indifferent, untroubled, and discarding all endeavours – such a devotee of Mine is dear to Me.

He who neither rejoices nor dislikes nor grieves nor desires, who renounces good and evil, and who is devoted, is dear to Me. Alike to foe and friend, in honour and dis-honour, in heat and cold, happiness and misery, free from attachment, alike in praise and censure, reticent, satisfied with anything, steady in mind – such a devoted person is dear to Me.

He who with devotion offers Me a leaf, a flower, a fruit or water, that devout offering of the pure-minded one I accept."
- Bhagawad Gita

"Cry to your Mother Shyama, with a real cry, O mind!
And how can She hold Herself from you?
How can Shyama stay away?
How can your Mother Kali hold Herself away?

O mind, if you are in earnest, bring Her an offering
Of bel-leaves and hibiscus flowers;
Lay at Her feet your offering
And with it mingle the fragrant sandal-paste of Love."

Last edited:
hecharikaga rara - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

Thyagaraja imagining himself in Sri Ramachandra's Court and welcoming the Lord thus:

Come! O Lord Sri Ramachandra

Come! O Embodiment of all Noble Virtues||

O Progenitor of Manmatha (cupid)

The Lord of all Gods and Goddesses||

With a glittering golden crown,

precious ear rings dangling from ears,

rich pair of anklets ringing tumultuously,

Sanaka and other sages rejoicing at this wonderful sight.

With beautiful pearl garlands swinging,

Brahma - the husband of Vani(Saraswathi), and other Gods praising You,

gently walking on ruby studded steps,

enjoying the melodious notes of veena being played by,

Your sister Meenakshi (Parvathi/Ambika/bhagini) came to see you with her parrot

Her parrot is twittering your glories to the delight of all.

All the celestial beings are joyfully showering flowers.

Thyagaraja is overwhelmed with ecstasy

witnessing this wonderful sight.||

- Sri Thyagaraja (18th Century)

YouTube - Hecharika raaraa Yadhukula Kambhoji

"Infinite are the glories of God! How little can you fathom them! Can you ever find out the meaning of God's ways?
Bhishma was none other than one of the eight Vasus, but even he shed tears on his bed of arrows. He said: 'How astonishing! God Himself is the companion of the Pandava brothers, and still there is no end to their troubles and sorrows!'

Who can ever understand the ways of God?”

"The monkeys removed whole hills, placed them in the sea and covered them with stones and trees, thus making a huge embankment. A little squirrel, so it is said, was there rolling himself in the sand and running backwards and forwards on to the bridge and shaking himself. Thus in his small way he was working for the bridge of Rama by putting in sand. The monkeys laughed, for they were bringing whole mountains, whole forests, huge loads of sand for the bridge — so they laughed at the little squirrel rolling in the sand and then shaking himself. But Rama saw it and remarked: "Blessed be the little squirrel; he is doing his work to the best of his ability, and he is therefore quite as great as the greatest of you." Then he gently stroked the squirrel on the back, and the marks of Rama's fingers, running lengthways, are seen on the squirrel's back to this day.

I do not believe in reform; I believe in growth. I do not dare to put myself in the position of God and dictate to our society, "This way thou shouldst move and not that." I simply want to be like the squirrel in the building of Rama's bridge, who was quite content to put on the bridge his little quota of sand-dust. That is my position."

- Swami Vivekananda
----------------------------------
hecharikagA rArA hE rAmachandra
hecharikagA rArA hE suguNa sAndra||

patcha viltuni kanna pAlita surEndra||

kanaka mayamou makuTa kAnti merayaganu
ghanamaina kunDala yugambu kadalaganu
ghanamaina noopura yugambu ghallanaga
sanakAdulella gani santasillaganu||

ANi mutyAla sarulalla lADaganu
vANee pateendruliru varusa pogaDaganu
mANikya sOpAnamandu melliganu
veeNa palukulu vinuchu vEDka chellaganu||

ninu jooDa vachenu bhagini karambu chiluka
manasu ranjilla nee mahimalanu baluka
minu vAsulella virulanu chAlajiluka
ghana tyAgarAju kanugona muddu guluka||

Last edited:
Bhavamulona - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

O Mind! Pray to the Lord as Govinda; Govinda inside your heart as well as around yourself in different forms.

Incarnations of all the Gods are none other than Sri Hari himself;
All of this Universe is none other than Sri Hari himself;
All the Vedic chants and mantras are none other than Sri Hari himself;
So, chant Hari, Hari, Hari, Hari, all the time, O my mind!

All that happens in this Universe is an outcome of deeds of Lord Vishnu himself;
All the Vedas are in admiration and praise of Lord Vishnu;
Lord Vishnu is the one that is utmost, ultimate, highest in the Universe;
So, try to search for Vishnu, all the time, O my mind!

The beginning and the end (of this Universe) is none other than Achyuta himself;
The killer of the gigantic and tyrannical asuras is none other than Achyuta himself;
The Lord atop the Venkatadri Hill is none other than Achyuta himself;
So, pray for His asylum, His protection all the time, O my mind!​
- Sri Annamacharya(15 Century)

Once at the Dakshineswar temple some ornaments of the Radha-Govinda image were stolen. At this Mathuranath Biswas, the then proprietor, a son-in-law of Rani Rasmani and an ardent devotee of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, said in his hearing, addressing the image, 'What a shame, O God! You could not save your own ornaments!'

Sri Ramakrishna sharply rebuked Mathuranath:

'Does He who has Lakshmi, the goddess of fortune, for His hand-maid and attendant ever lack any splendour? These jewels may be precious to you but to God they are no better than lumps of clay. Shame on you! You shouldn't have spoken so meanly. What riches can you give to God to magnify His glory?'

---------------------------------​
"Vidura, a character in Mahabharatha, was well known for giving guidance to all who sought him, right from a king to the commoner. His words of wisdom are known even today as ‘Vidura Neethi’. He was a man of simple habits, totally contented, bereft of any worldly desires. He lived in poverty, in a thatched roof hut. His only passion or addiction was his fixation of devotion on Lord Krishna whom he knew was an avatar of Sri Maha Vishnu.

He invited Lord Krishna to bless his hut with his footsteps and partake of his offering. Lord Krishna readily agreed and followed him. Vidura’s hut was of Spartan simplicity. The flooring of his one-room tenant was made of mud with a smearing of cow dung on the top. There was no ‘asan’ for anybody to sit on. Unmindful of the inconvenience, Lord Krishna sat on the floor cross legged.

Vidura was ecstatic with joy as God himself had paid a visit to his hut. He picked up bananas from the bunch and began feeding him praying continuously. Lord Krishna was swallowing whatever was offered to him. Vidhura was actually feeding him with the banana skins and throwing the fruits in a corner in his trance like state.

After the ‘naivedya’(offering) Vidura looked around and was horrified to find fruits were lying in a corner while Krishna had consumed banana peels!

Tears welled in his eyes and he profusely apologized, “Oh! Lord ! Please pardon this wretch. I have given to you peels which you took while I threw away the fruits! You have quietly swallowed them without protest. Bhagavan Krishna!”

Krishna smiled benignly and told him “Vidura! I am amazed at your devotion. Don’t you know I take phalam(fruits), pushpam(flowers), and thoyam(water) given to me in Bhakthi(Devotion)?" He patted Vidura and left."

Last edited:
Vidhithakhila Shasthra Sudha Jhaladhe - by Sri Thotakacharya

Source of Translation: Kamakoti

'Totakashtakam'
composed by
Sri Thotakacharya

in praise of
Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya

O Thou, The Knower of all the pure knowledge in Milk-Ocean of Scriptures! The Expounder of the truths of Great Upanishadic Treasure-Trove; Thy holy feet is my refuge, O Supreme Teacher Shankara||

O Ocean of Compassion, save me, whose heart is tormented by the misery of the cycle of birth and death. Make me understand the true essence of various schools of philosophy. Thy holy feet is my refuge, O Supreme Teacher Shankara||

By Thee, the ignorant gains knowledge and happiness. O Thou, of brilliant intellect, skilled in the inquiry of Self-Knowledge; enable me to understand the wisdom relating to God and the Soul. Thy holy feet is my refuge, O Supreme Teacher Shankara||

Knowing that Thou art verily the Supreme Lord, my heart is over-whelmed with bliss. Protect me from this ocean of delusion. Thy holy feet is my refuge, O Supreme Teacher Shankara||

Desire for liberation and holding to the path of Thee (Advaita), will spring only through performance of virtuous deeds and Thy grace. Please protect this helpless, ignorant person; O Supreme Teacher Shankara, Thy holy feet is my refuge||

For saving the world, the infinite assumes various forms and wander in disguise preaching the Truth, of them Thou shiniest like the Radiant Sun. O Supreme Teacher Shankara, Thy holy feet is my refuge||

O the best of Teachers! O Supreme Lord, none in wisdom equal to Thee! Thou who art compassionate to those who have taken refuge at Thy feet. O Treasure-Trove of Truth. O Supreme Teacher Shankara, Thy holy feet is my refuge||

Not even a single branch of knowledge has been understood by me correctly. Not even the least wealth do I possess, O Supreme Teacher, bestow on me Thy grace; O Supreme Teacher Shankara, Thy holy feet is my refuge||

- Sri Thotakacharya

YouTube - Bombay Sisters Totakashtakam on Adi Shankaracharya by Thotakacharya

"The fool thinks, ‘I am the body’;
The Intelligent Man thinks, ‘I am an individual soul united with the body.’
But the Wise Man, in the greatness of his Knowledge and Spiritual discrimination,
Sees the Self as the only reality and thinks, ‘I am Brahman(Consciousness/Atman).’"

Brahma Satyam Jagat Mithya
Jeevo Brahmaiva Na Aparah

Brahman(Consciousness/Atman/God) alone is real, this world is unreal;
the Jiva is no other than Brahman.

- Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya

"In the Gita, we already hear the distant sound of the conflicts of sects, and the Lord comes in the middle to harmonise them all; He, the great preacher of harmony, the greatest teacher of harmony, Lord Shri Krishna. He says, "In Me they are all strung like pearls upon a thread." As it were to give a living example of this preaching, as it were to make at least one part of it practical, the preacher himself came in another form, and this was Shakyamuni, the preacher to the poor and the miserable, he who rejected even the language of the gods to speak in the language of the people, so that he might reach the hearts of the people, he who gave up a throne to live with beggars, and the poor, and the downcast, he who pressed the Pariah to his breast like a second Rama.

In spite of its wonderful moral strength, Buddhism was extremely iconoclastic; and much of its force being spent in merely negative attempts, it had to die out in the land of its birth, and what remained of it became full of superstitions and ceremonials, a hundred times cruder than those it was intended to suppress. Although it partially succeeded in putting down the animal sacrifices of the Vedas, it filled the land with temples, images, symbols, and bones of saints. Above all, in the medley of Aryans, Mongols, and aborigines which it created, it unconsciously led the way to some of the hideous Vamacharas.

Thus, in spite of the preaching of mercy to animals, in spite of the sublime ethical religion, in spite of the hairsplitting discussions about the existence or non-existence of a permanent soul, the whole building of Buddhism tumbled down piecemeal; and the ruin was simply hideous. I have neither the time nor the inclination to describe to you the hideousness that came in the wake of Buddhism. The most hideous ceremonies, the most horrible, the most obscene books that human hands ever wrote or the human brain ever conceived, the most bestial forms that ever passed under the name of religion, have all been the creation of degraded Buddhism.

But India has to live, and the spirit of the Lord descended again. He who declared, "I will come whenever virtue subsides", came again, and this time the manifestation was in the South, and up rose that young Brahmin of whom it has been declared that at the age of sixteen he had completed all his writings; the marvellous boy Shankaracharya arose. The writings of this boy of sixteen are the wonders of the modern world, and so was the boy. He wanted to bring back the Indian world to its pristine purity, but think of the amount of the task before him. This was especially the reason why this travesty of the teaching of the great Master had to be driven out of India by Shri Shankara and his band of Sannyasins. Thus even the current of life, set in motion by the greatest soul that ever wore a human form, the Bhagavan Buddha himself, became a miasmatic pool, and India had to wait for centuries until Shankara arose, followed in quick succession by Ramanuja and Madhva."

- Swami Vivekananda

God Resides in Everyone

"It was a sunny morning. You know how cold it is in the Himalayas. In the very high Mount Kailas, it is colder still. So sunshine is most welcome there. It is matter of joy.

Lord Ganesh, the darling child of Shiva and Parvathi, was feeling bored. He had none to play with. He thought he would run out into the garden and play in the sunshine.

He went to the kitchen. Mother Parvathi was busy getting the food ready. Ganesh hugged her and said, “Mother, may I go and play in the garden?” ‘All right, my boy’, said Parvathi, ‘but don’t dirty yourself. And come back quickly, you have your lessons to do.’

Even before she had finished the sentence, Ganesh was gone. With a hop and a leap he was out in the garden. He plucked and smelt fragrant flowers. He chased the multicoloured butterflies. He climbed trees and ate the delicious fruits. He tried to catch the deer, but they were too fast for him. All this running about, tired him. He sat under a tree.

Just then he heard a mewing. It was his pet cat greeting him. He looked at it fondly. It walked up to him gracefully and climbed into his lap. It closed its eyes and cosily settled down to a nap.

Ganesh felt this was not right. It is bad to sleep in the day-time. He should not permit it. He roused the cat. It opened its eyes a little and gave a small mew in protest. Ganesh stood it on its hind legs. He would literally teach it a lesson; stick in hand he asked pussy to repeat what he said. But the cat only blinked. It climbed back into his lap and closed its eyes again.

Ganesh was irritated. His pupil was getting disobedient. He caught hold of the pussy and scratched its face. The cat jumped out of his grasp and ran away. Ganesh smiled to himself. Cats will be cats. He roamed about in the garden for a little longer and then returned to the house.

He felt very hungry. He stepped into the kitchen. “Is food ready, mother?” he cried out. Parvathi looked at him smiling and said, “Yes, Ganesh, go, wash and come. I shall finish dressing my wounds.”

Ganesh was puzzled. Wounds? He looked at his mother more closely. He got a shock. There were many ugly scratches on her lovely face. Ganesh became angry. “Mother, tell me who has done this to you? I shall tell Father and get the villain punished.’

Then he got a second shock. Parvathi said, “The culprit is none else than my beloved son Ganesh”. Ganesh could not make head or tail of what she was saying. “I hurt my dear mother! Impossible, even in a dream. And was I not all the while out in the garden? Perhaps some mischievous boy has taken my guise and done this wicked deed.”

But Parvathi only shook her head. “Ganesh, tell me, did you hurt anyone while playing in the garden?” “No, Mother,” said Ganesh “I had no companion to play with today”. “Then did you play with any pet animal and hurt it in anyway?” asked the mother.

Ganesh now remembered how he had punished the disobedient cat. But what had that to do with the scratches on his mother’s face? He questioned her.

Parvathi smiled and said, ‘Ganesh, don’t you know I am the Mother of all creatures? It is I who live in all creatures. When therefore you hurt any creature you are hurting me.’

Ganesh saw light. He now understood. He was only one of the children of the Divine Mother. She loves all her children equally and suffers equally with all. Bowing down before his mother, Ganesh told her “Mother, from today I will not hurt any person or any creature by thought, word or deed”.

The promise Ganesh made, each of us has to make. Then only can we be really the children of the Divine.​

P.S: Spirituality in layman terms can be explained as "That Life-giving force in me is same as that of others; hence there is no question of inferiority or superiority complexes. All the differences seen are only on surface but inside there is oneness." To realise the Truth, one needs the support of Guru(Self-realised/God-realised), upon whose guidance if the aspirant practices one or more of the four Yogas - one realises the Ultimate reality behind all this drama.

Bhakthi Yoga (Path of Devotion(Love)/Complete Self-Surrender to God/Guru's feet, leading a righteous life, Prayer) - Easiest Path - Advocated by Upanishads, Bhagawad Gita, Narada Bhakthi Sutras, Bhakthi Saints/Incarnations.

Karma Yoga (Path of Action, Performing actions Non-attached, as a service to God; not claiming fruits of action, nor attached to inaction) - Difficult - Advocated by Lord Krishna

Raja Yoga (Path of Meditation, by Renouncing the World) - More Difficult - Advocated by Gautama Buddha/Mahavira/Yogis

Jnana Yoga (Path of Knowledge, discriminating real and unreal using intellect, finding faults with sense objects, following method of enquiry, by Renouncing the World) - Most Difficult - Advocated by Adi Shankaracharya/Ramana Maharshi

Last edited:
Shri Student of Vihe,

The line, Vidhithakhila Shasthra Sudha Jhaladhe - by Sri Thotakacharya

is a transliteration of the original Sanskrit line, विदिताखिल शास्त्र सुधा जलधे |(விதி3தா1கி2ல சாஸ்த்1ர ஸுதா4 ஜலதெ4); the rest will read as by तोटकचर्य (தொடகசர்ய) and not as tOTakAcArya தோடகாசார்ய.

I would, therefore, request you to take great care in doing such transliterations. The way you have done it, it changes the letters to read as विधितखिल शस्त्र सुध झलधे|

I presume you are translating from Tamil without a Sanskrit copy and that, in effect, kills the meaning. The way it appears in your post, it will mean all weapons according to rule (vidhita akhila shastra); there is no word "sudh" but taking it as 'sudhA' it will mean nectar. "jhaladhe" again is not there in Sanskrit. Hence if you are trying to transliterate please do it from Sanskrit or from a Tamil text where all the four consonants are given by means of superscripts. Then use particular English alphabet/s for each specific consonant so that there is at least some correspondence to the Sanskrit original.

Ordinary Tamil is highly inadequate for even reciting our mantras and scriptures which are in Sanskrit. If we have to project ourselves as brahmins, at least some rudimentary knowledge of Sanskrit is a must; otherwise let us be content with the Tamil prayers, tiruppAvai, tiruvempAvai, etc.

I am only expressing my anguish at finding such monumental blunders in presenting our slokas and scriptures to the world and that too in a forum for brahmins who are expected to be the true and knowledgeable custodians of our religious knowledge.

Last edited:
Cheri Yashodaku Shishuvithadu - by Sri Annamacharya

He is the father of Brahma;

the Darling son of Yashodha.||

If truly perceived, He is the source of radiance in Sun and Moon; mine of all best qualities,

the cause of all Gods and Goddesses.||

He overwhelms all devotees with Divine Ecstasy;

To bless all those, who have surrendered themselves,

He has manifested as Lord Sri Venkateshwara.||

- Sri Annamacharya(15th Century)

"O Mother, Thou art verily Brahman(consciousness), and Thou art verily Shakti. Thou art Purusha and Thou art Prakriti. Thou art Virat. Thou art the Absolute, and Thou dost manifest Thyself as the Relative. Thou art verily the Twenty-four cosmic principles."

"Kunti Devi, mother of Pandavas, completed the stipulated one year of agnatha vasa(Staying incognito) with her sons, with the king of Virata. The condition was imposed by Duryodhana, the eldest brother of Kauravas after Dharma Raja eldest of Pandavas staked and lost his all in a deceitful game of dice. She now wanted to meet Lord Krishna her nephew and sent word to him of her intentions through a messenger. Lord Krishna who was staying in his palace at Dwaraka city along with his consort Rukmini Devi, immediately sent a minister with a chariot to fetch her. The Lord himself at his palace gates along with his wife Rukmini received Kunti and welcomed her. He took Kunti inside, washed her feet in reverence as per the prevailing custom. After the completion of all formalities due to an honoured guest, Krishna enquired of Kunti about the welfare of her sons-the Pandavas and their wife Draupadi. At the mention of her sons and daughter-in-law, Kunti burst into uncontrollable sobs. Krishna became rigid and tersely told her, "Dear Aunt, I do not want you to weep and shed tears in the inner palace during evening time and that too on a Friday. It is positively inauspicious for me. You can narrate your woes and recount your sufferings to your heart’s content outside in my Udyanavana(Garden). Come. Follow me.”

So saying, he dragged her unceremoniously into his spacious gardens, the servants had already placed seats for them under a sprawling banyan tree. Rukmini was aghast at the rude behaviour of her husband towards his own aunt, who had undergone so much humiliation at the hands of Duryodhana and his cruel brothers. Rukmini was watching through the window. Kunti was shedding tears and telling Krishna the sufferings of her sons and the humiliation of her daughter-in-law Draupadi, who was subjected to an attempt at disrobing by Duryadhana’s brother Dussashana in the Royal Court. Lord Krishna was allowing her to weep copiously till the tears trickled down from her cheeks and fell to the ground without even consoling her Kunti was exhausted with her stirring account of the happenings. She wiped her tear-stained face and her red eyes, got up and meekly followed Lord Krishna back to the palace. Both Rukmini and Krishna escorted her to the chariot and asked the charioteer to drop her at her place of stay and returned.

Rukmini who was seething with anger could not contain herself any more. She confronted her husband and spoke. "Pardon me! My Lord, if I say I am totally ashamed of your disgusting behaviour towards our beloved aunt Kunti. Instead of consoling her you dragged her out and triggered tears in her tired eyes and made no effort to offer solace or wipe her tear drenched eyes even in the garden. How could you be so cruel and heartless, My Lord?” To all her accusations, Krishna had an enigmatic smile and wore a peaceful expression. Holding her hand, he propelled her towards the window and pointed to the spot where both aunt and himself sat a while ago. "Rukmini, look at what is happening at the place of discussion."

Rukmini looked at the banyan tree - wisps of fumes were emanating from it. In a short while it was billowing with thick smoke and suddenly tongues of flame were reaching the sky. Even as the servants rushed to the spot to put out the fire, the whole area including the banyan tree was engulfed in flames and got reduced to cinders in a matter of seconds. Rukmini tightened her grip on Krishna’s hand and instinctively moved near him out of fear.

Lord Krishna spoke in a grave voice “Did you watch the conflagration? That is the sacred place where the righteous tears of a grieving Mother fell. Do you know understand if she had wept inside the palace, you, myself and the palace would have been consigned to flames and all of us would have perished.

Beware! the tears of a Mother. Each tear will bring misery of one year on one who causes it. I goaded her to shed copious tears so that the Kauravas will be annihilated.”

Rukmini looked lovingly at her husband. Inscrutable are the ways of Lord Krishna, the Jagannatha. She bowed before him in reverence and Bhakti(Devotion)."

"The position of the Mother is the highest in the world, as it is the one place in which to learn and exercise the greatest unselfishness. The Love of God is the only love that is higher than a mother's love; all others are lower. It is the duty of the mother to think of her children first and then of herself. But, instead of that, if the parents are always thinking of themselves first, the result is that the relation between parents and children becomes the same as that between birds and their offspring which, as soon as they are fledged, do not recognise any parents."
- Swami Vivekananda

Last edited:
Sri Vaidyanadha Ashtakam

Sree Rama soumithri jatayu veda,
Shananadithya kujarchithya,
Sree neelakantaya daya mayaya,
Sree vaidyanathaya namashivaya.

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha(Supreme Doctor), Who is adored/praised by Sri Rama, Lakshmana, Jatayu, Vedas, Kartikeya(son of Lord Shiva), Surya(sun), Who has a blue-throat, and Who is full of benevolence.[1]

Ganga pravahendu jata dharaya,
Trilochanaya smara kala hanthre,
Samstha devairavi poojithaya,
Sree vaidyanathata namashivaya.

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who has Ganga and the Moon in His matted hair, Who has three eyes (Trilocana), Who is not bound by Kala(time), Who destroyed smara(Cupid), and Who is gloriously adored by all the demi-gods.[2]

Bhaktha priyaya, tripuranthakaya,
Pinakine dushta haraya nithyam,
Prathyaksha leelaya manushya loke,
Sree vaidyanathaya namashivaya.

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who is full of compassion to his devotees, Who destroyed the three celestial cities, Who holds the bow called Pinaka, Who annihilates the evil and cunning, and Whose sportive play manifests as this Universe and its beings.[3]

Prabhootha vadadhi samastha roga,
Pranasa hanthre muni vandhthithaya,
Prabhakare agni vilochanaya,
Sri vaidyanathaya nama shivaya.

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who(has cure for) can cure all the kinds of diseases, Who is extolled by great sages, and Who has the Sun, the Moon and the Fire as His three eyes.[4]

Vakchrothra nethrangiri viheena jantho,
Vakchrothra nethrangiri sukha pradaya,
Kushtadhi sarvonnatha roga hanthre,
Sri Vaidyanathaya nama shivaya.

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who provides cure for those devotees who have lost their speech, hearing, sight and ability to walk, and also to dreadful diseases like leprosy.[5]

Vedanta vedhyaya jagan mayaya,
Yogiswara dhyeya Padambujaya,
Trimurthy roopaya sahasra namne,

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who can be realised through Vedanta, Who is all pervading, Who has manifested as the Universe and its beings, Whose lotus-feet are meditated upon by the perfected Yogis, Who has manifested as the Trinity (Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva), and Who has thousands of names.[6]

Swatheertha mrud bhasma brudanga bajam,
Pisacha dukha arthi bhayapahaya,
Athma swaroopaya sareera bajaam,
Sri Vaidyanaathaya namasivaya.

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who destroys the fear, grief, pain and ghostly fears, Who is the soul (Atman) of the living beings.[7]

Sree neelakantaya vrushaba dwajaya,
Sarakkanda basmadhya abhi shobithaya,
Suputhradarathi soubhagyadhaya,

Salutations to Lord Shiva, Who is known as Vaidyanatha, Who has a blue-throat, whose flag has a bull symbol, Who is adored by flowers, sacred ash and sandal, Who bestows good children, good spouse, and all auspiciousness.[8]

"A disciple asked his teacher, 'Sir, please tell me how I can see God.' 'Come with me,' said the guru, 'and I shall show you.' He took the disciple to a lake, and both of them got into the water. Suddenly the teacher pressed the disciple's head under the water. After a few moments he released him and the disciple raised his head and stood up. The guru asked him, 'How did you feel?' The disciple said, 'Oh! I thought I should die; I was panting for breath.' The teacher said, 'When you feel like that for God, then you will know you haven't long to wait for His vision.'“

"Realise that to be Brahman(Consciousness/Atman/Supreme Self/God), which is Existence-Knowledge-Bliss Absolute, which is non-dual and infinite, eternal and one and which fills all that exists.

Realise that to be Brahman, which is non-dual, indivisible, one and blissful and which is indicated by Vedanta as the irreducible substratum after the negation of all tangible objects.

Realise that to be Brahman, the attainment of which leaves nothing more to be attained, the blessedness of which leaves no other bliss to be desired and the Knowledge of which leaves no more to be known.

Realise that to be Brahman, which when seen leaves nothing more to be seen, having become which; one is not born again into the world of becoming, and which when known, leaves nothing else to be known. Deities like Brahma and Indra taste only a particle of the unlimited bliss of Brahman and enjoy, in proportion, their shares of that particle. All objects are pervaded by Brahman and all actions are possible because of Brahman; therefore Brahman permeates everything as butter permeates milk.

Realise that to be Brahman, which is neither subtle nor gross; neither short nor long; without birth and change; without form, qualities, or colour.

Realise that to be Brahman, by the light of which luminous orbs like the sun and moon are illumined but which cannot be illumined by their light, and by which everything is illumined. The Supreme Brahman pervades the entire Universe outwardly and shines of itself, as the fire that permeates a red hot iron both inwardly and outwardly shines of itself. Brahman being Eternal, cannot be attained through any means other than the removal of Avidya(nescience).

Know that which is of the nature of Self alone as Brahman, the unsurpassed infinite reality; because it is ‘great’, it is called Brahman. Brahman is other than the Universe. There exists nothing that is not Brahman. If any object other than Brahman appears to exist, it is unreal, like a mirage.

All that is perceived, all that is heard, is Brahman and nothing else. Attaining the Knowledge of Reality, one sees the Universe as the non-dual Brahman. Just as earth forces itself upon our mind while thinking of a jar, so does the idea of ever-shining Brahman flash upon us while contemplating on the phenomenal world.

People perform all their actions in and through Brahman, but they are ignorant of this; just as though ignorance, people do not know that jars and other earthen ware are nothing but earth. Yourself, therefore, are Brahman. “I am not Brahman” is a mere illusion. From illusion springs separation wherein all sorrows have root.

Brahman, although not knowable(by the intellect) is yet not unrealizable, because it is self-resplendent. The Vedantic passage “Brahman is reality, knowledge, infinity” expresses the definition thereof. That Brahman being known, all this Universe becomes known in the same way as all earthen jars, pots etc., become known by knowing the clay which is their cause.

For the wise who realise everything as Brahman, what is there to meditate or not to meditate, what to speak or not to speak, what to do or not to do? Those who give up the highest and purest Brahmic consciousness live in vain and, though human, are like unto beasts. Having turned the visible into the invisible, one should realise everything to be Brahman itself. The wise man should then dwell in eternal bliss with his mind full of the essence of pure consciousness.

As a lump of salt melted in water cannot be perceived by the eye but tasted only by the tongue, so indeed the ever-existent Brahman shining in the depth of the heart cannot be realised by the external senses, but by the light of that gracious awakening which comes from the world of a seer-teacher; ‘You indeed are this Brahman, not the phenomenal Universe that appears around.’"

- Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya​

Last edited:
Sriman Narayana - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

O Sriman Narayana, I surrender to your lotus feet.||

You are like the Sun to your lotus faced consort Goddess Lakshmi;

You are dear to Kamala(Born of the lotus - Lakshmi), with your eyes resembling lotus petals.

You are dear to Brahma. You move on the Garuda bird. Your navel is like Kamala(lotus).

I surrender to your lotus feet.||

You are the ultimate destination to the Supreme Sages.

You are the Supreme personality(Purushottama).

You are transcendental.

You are the Supreme soul.

You manifest yourself even in the tiniest atom.

O Lord of the holy Venkata hill, I surrender to you.||

- Sri Annamacharya(15th Century)

YouTube - Sriman Narayana - Sri MS Subbulakshmi Amma

"But I say that we are all calling on the same God. Jealousy and malice need not be. Some say that God is formless, and some that God has form. I say, let one man meditate on God with form if he believes in form, and let another meditate on the formless Deity if he does not believe in form. What I mean is that dogmatism is not good. It is not good to feel that my religion alone is true and other religions are false. The correct attitude is this: My religion is right, but I do not know whether other religions are right or wrong, true or false. I say this because one cannot know the true nature of God unless one realizes Him.

Kabir used to say: 'God with form is my Mother, the Formless is my Father. Which shall I blame? Which shall I praise? The two pans of the scales are equally heavy.’”

"Not knowing My immutable, unsurpassed supreme nature, the ignorant regard Me, the unmanifest, as coming into being. I am not manifest to all, being veiled by My mysterious power(Yoga-maya). This ignorant world does not know Me, the unborn and immutable. I know, O Arjuna, all beings past, present and future, but nobody knows Me."
- Bhagawad Gita

"A real teacher is one who is well-versed in the scriptures, sinless, unsmitten(unaffected) by desire and the best among the knowers of Brahman(Consciousness/Atman/God), is calm like the fire that has consumed its fuel, who is a boundless reservoir of mercy that is ineffable and a friend of all good people that prostrate themselves before him.

Worshiping such a Teacher(Self-Realised/God-Realised) with devotion and approaching him; when he is pleased, with prostration, humility and service, the disciple should ask him what he has got to know.

‘O Master, O friend of those that bow to thee, thou ocean of mercy, I bow to you; save me, fallen as I am into the sea of birth and death, with a straight-forward glance of your eye which sheds supreme grace like nectar. There are good souls, calm and magnanimous, who do good to others as does the spring, and who, having themselves crossed this dreadful ocean of birth and death, help others also to cross the same, without any motive whatsoever.

O Lord, with your nectar like speech, sweetened by the enjoyment of the elixir-like bliss of Brahman(Consciousness/Atman/God) – do sprinkle on me who am tormented by worldly affliction as by the tongues of a forest fire. How to cross this ocean of phenomenal existence, what is to be my fate, and which of the means should I adopt – as to these I know nothing. Condescend to save me, O Lord, and describe at length how to put an end to the misery of this relative existence.’

To him who has sought for protection, thirsting for liberation, who duly obeys the injunctions of the scriptures, who is of a pacified mind, and endowed with calmness, the Sage proceeds to inculcate the truth out of sheer grace.

‘Fear not, O learned one, there is no death for you; there is a means of crossing this sea of relative existence; that very way by which sages have gone beyond it, I shall show to you. There is a sovereign means which puts an end to the fear of relative existence; through that you will cross the sea of Samsara(cycle of birth and death) and attain Bliss Supreme.

Reasoning on the meaning of the Vedanta leads to efficient knowledge, which is immediately followed by the total annihilation of the misery born of relative existence. Faith, devotion and the yoga of meditation – these are mentioned by the Vedas as the immediate factors of liberation in the case of a seeker; whoever abides by these, gets liberation from the bondage of the body, which is the conjuring of ignorance.

It is verily through the influence of ignorance that you, who are the Supreme Self, find yourself under the bondage of the non-self, whence alone proceeds the round of births and deaths.

A father has got his sons and others to free him from his debts, but he has got none but himself to remove his bondage. The trouble such as that caused by a load on the head can be removed by others, but none, except one’s own self, can put a stop to the pain which is caused by hunger and the like.

That patient alone, who takes diet and medicine, is seen to recover – and not through the work done by others. Who but one’s own self can get rid of the bondage caused by the fetters of ignorance, desire, action and the like, aye, even in a hundred crore of cycles(birth and death)?

The Scriptures consisting of many words are a dense forest which merely causes the mind to wander in it. Hence the man of wisdom should earnestly set about knowing the true nature of the Self.

The first step to liberation is extreme aversion to all perishable things; then follow calmness, self-control, forbearance and the utter relinquishment of all work enjoined in the scriptures. Then, for the Muni, come hearing, reflection on That, and long, constant and unbroken meditation on the Truth. After that the learned one attains the Supreme Nirvikalpa state and enjoys the bliss of Nirvana even in this life.’

My refuge is neither my mother, nor my father, nor sons, nor brothers, nor others. My Supreme refuge shall be the foot placed by my master on my head."

Guru Brahma Guru Vishnu
Guru Devo Maheshwaraha
Guru Saakshaath Parabrahma
Tasmai Shri Gurave Namaha

Guru(Self-realised/God-realised),
who is himself Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva,
and who is verily the Supreme Absolute itself.
I prostrate/surrender/offer pranams to such a Guru.

----------------------------

Shriman Narayana Sriman Narayana
Shriman Narayana Ni Shripadame Sharanu|

Kamalasati Mukhakamala Kamalahita
Kamalapriya Kamalekshana
Kamala Sana-Sahita, Garuda Gamana Shri
Kamalanabha Ni Padakamalame Sharanu||

Parama Yogijana Bhagadheya Shri
Paramapurusha Paratpara
Paramatma Paramanurupa Shri
TiruvenKatagirideva Sharanu||

Janani Ninnuvina - by Sri Subbaraya Shastri

O Divine Mother, the mother of the three worlds!

Who else is there to take care of me on this Earth?||

You who fascinated the heart of Cupid,

Please pay heed to my entreaties and protect me.||

Upon hearing about the infinite happiness you confer on your devotees,

Fervently, I have taken refuge in you.

Who else is there Mother, on this earth to hear my entreaties and offer protection?

Please respond and bestow your blessings.

O the lotus eyed one! Auspicious Goddess!

Without delaying, please protect me!||

Are you not the bestower of boons to your beloved devotees?

Don’t you have compassion to protect this soul?

Why do you hesitate about protecting me,

who has unshakable faith in you?

O Mother! whose feet are adored by Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.||

- Sri Subbaraya Shastri(19th Century)

YouTube - Sri MS SUBBULAKSHMI :JANANI NINNU VINA

Taking the name of Kali, dive deep down,
O mind, Into the heart's fathomless depths,
Where many a precious gem lies hid.
But never believe the bed of the ocean bare of gems
If in the first few dives you fail;
With firm resolve and self-control
Dive deep and make your way to Mother Kali's realm.
Down in the ocean depths of heavenly Wisdom lie
The wondrous pearls of Peace, O mind;
And you yourself can gather them,
If you but have pure love and follow the scriptures' rule.
Within those ocean depths, as well,
Six alligators, lurk - lust, anger, and the rest -
Swimming about in search of prey.
Smear yourself with the turmeric of discrimination;
The very smell of it will shield you from their jaws.
Upon the ocean bed lie strewn
Unnumbered pearls and precious gems;​

“God is not only inside us; He is both inside and outside. The Divine Mother showed me in the Kali temple that everything is Chinmaya, the Embodiment of Spirit; that it is She who has become all this―the image, myself, the utensils of worship, the door-sill, the marble floor... Everything is indeed Chinmaya. The aim of prayer, of spiritual discipline, of chanting the name and glories of God, is to realize just that. For that alone a devotee loves God.“

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Janani Ninnuvinaa Amba
Janani Ninnuvinaa Triloka
Janani Ninnuvinaa DikKevarammaa Jagamulona Gaana Ambaa||

Manasija Maanasa Sammodhini
Vinave Naa Manavini Vini Nannu Brovumu||

Niravadhika Sukha Daayaki Yanuchu Ninnu Vini Chaala Golichiti
Niratamuga Tanayuni Moraluvini Nee Valane Brochutaku Evariki
Dharalo Vinumaa Idi Ghanamaa Tarunamidi Krupa Salupu Durusuga
Saraseeruhalochani Suvaasini Taamasamu Seyakane Brovumu||

Varadaayaki Gaadaa Okkani Brova Karudaa Daya Raadaa
Neranammina Naa To Vaadaa Sarasija Bhava Hariharanuta Paada||

Last edited:
Rama Kodandarama Rama Kalyanarama - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Lord Rama! O Lord with a bow in Hand! O Embodiment of all auspiciousness!||

O Consort of Sita! You are my sole refuge. I am caught in Your Supreme Love.||

O Supreme Lord, you are unparalleled in virtues. Let your grace be on me; I am Yours; please speak to me.||

O Rama, Your sweet name bestows all good; thoughts about you are enough. O my Saviour, You alone is enough for me.||

A single word of Yours is worth a sack-full of valuables for me; song sung about You is indeed a song for me; Your Ideals are my guiding lights.||

O King of Kings! Please redeem me, O Protector of all your devotees. O Lord of Thyagaraja||

- Sri Thyagaraja(18th Century)

YouTube - Sri Nithyasree Mahadevan Rama Kodanda Rama Bhairavi Thyagaraja

“One day as this sage, Valmiki, was going to bathe in the holy river Ganga, he saw a pair of doves wheeling round and round, and kissing each other. The sage looked up and was pleased at the sight, but in a second an arrow whisked past him and killed the male dove. As the dove fell down on the ground, the female dove went on whirling round and round the dead body of its companion in grief. In a moment the poet became miserable, and looking round, he saw the hunter. "Thou art a wretch," he cried, "without the smallest mercy! Thy slaying hand would not even stop for love!" "What is this? What am I saying?" the poet thought to himself, "I have never spoken in this sort of way before." And then a voice came: "Be not afraid. This is poetry that is coming out of your mouth. Write the life of Rama in poetic language for the benefit of the world." And that is how the poem first began. The first verse sprang out of pits from the mouth of Valmiki, the first poet. And it was after that, that he wrote the beautiful Ramayana, "The Life of Rama".”
- Swami Vivekananda
(at the Shakespeare Club, Pasadena, California, January 31, 1900)​

"Pain and pleasure are inevitable in a body. He who has realized God dedicates his mind and life, his body and soul, to God.

When Rama and Lakshmana went to take their bath in Pampa Lake, they thrust their bows into the ground. Coming out of the water, Lakshmana took out his bow and found its tip stained with blood.

Rama said to him: 'Look, brother! Look. Perhaps we have hurt some creature.'

Lakshmana dug in the earth and found a big bullfrog. It was dying.

Rama said to the frog in a sorrowful voice: 'Why didn't you croak? We should have tried to save you. You croak lustily enough when you are in the jaws of a snake.'

The frog said: 'O Lord, when I am attacked by a snake I croak, saying: "O Rama, save me! O Rama, save me!"

This time I found that it was Rama who was killing me; so I kept still.'"​

Last edited:
Hanuman Chalisa - Sant Tulsidas

Shri Guru Charan Saroj Raj, Nij Man Mukar Sudhari,
Barnau Raghuvar Bimal Jasu, Jo dayaku Phal Chari

With the dust of my Guru's(Hanuman) Lotus feet, I clean the mirror of my mind and then narrate the sacred glory of
Sri Ramachandra - The Supreme among the Raghu dynasty; giver of the four attainments of life.

Budhi heen Tanu Janike, Sumirow, Pavan Kumar,
Bal Buddhi Vidya Dehu Mohi, Harahu Kalesh Bikaar

Knowing myself to be ignorant, I urge you, O Hanuman, The son of Pavan!
O Lord! kindly Bestow on me strength, wisdom and knowledge, removing all my
miseries and blemishes.

Jai Hanuman Gyan Guna Sagar
Jai Kipis Tihun Lok Ujgaar

Victory to Thee, O Hanuman, Ocean of wisdom and virtue, victory to the Lord of monkeys who is well known in all the three worlds

Ramdoot Atulit Bal Dhamaa,
Anjani Putra Pavansut naamaa.

the Divine messager of Lord Rama, repository of immeasurable strength, also
known as Anjaniputra, the son of the wind god(Pavanaputra).

Mahebeer Bikram Bajrangi,
Kumati Nivaar Sumati Ke Sangi.

O Hanumanji! You are valiant and brave, with a diamond like body; the
dispeller of evil thoughts(darkness), bestower of good sense and wisdom.

Kanchan Baran Biraaj Subesaa,
Kanan kundal kunchit kesa.

O dearest devotee of Lord Sri Ramachandra, whose physique is golden coloured, wearing 'Kundals' ear-rings, with long and curly hairs.

Hath Bajra Aur Dhvaja Birjai,
Kandhe Moonj Janeu saage.

One whose hands are powerful as diamond, carrying the banner of Rama,
bestower of all auspiciousness.

Shankar Suvna Kesari Nandan,
Tej Pratap Maha Jag Vandan.

O Lord Hanuman! aspect of 'Lord SHIVA', delight to Kesari.
You are ever effulgent, and valiant; respected by everyone.

Vidyavaan Guni Ati Chatur,
Ram Kaj Karibe Ko Atur

the repository of all learning, virtuous, very wise
ever ready to do the work of Sri Rama,

Prabhu Charittra Sunibe Ko Rasiya,
Ram Lakhan Sita man basyia.

You take delight in listening to the naration of Lord Rama's lifestory and
drink the nectar of Rama nama. Sri Ram-Sita and Lakshmana dwell in your hearts.

Sukshma roop Dhari Siyahi Dikhwana,
Bikat roop Dhari Lank Jarawa

You appeared before Sita in a diminutive form and spoke to her, while you
assumed a mighty form and struck terror by setting Lanka on fire.

Bhim roop Dhar Asur Sanhare,
Ramchandra Ke kaaj Savare.

With a terrible form you killed demons and successfully carried on the work of
Sri Ramachandra.

Laye Sajivan Lakhan Jiyaye,
Shri Raghubir harashi ur laye.

You brought life to Lakshmana by bringing 'Sanjivni herb'
Sri Rama with his heart full of joy embraced you.

Raghupati Kinhi Bahut Badaai,
Tum Mama Priya Bharat Sam Bahi.

Sri Rama extolled Hanumanji's excellence and remarked,
"You are as dear to me as my own brother Bharata"

Sahastra Badan Tumharo Jas Gaave,
Asa kahi Shripati Kanth Laagave.

Sri Ram embraced Hanumanji saying:
"Let the world sing your glories"

Sankadik Brahmadi Muneesa,
Narad Sarad Sahit Aheesa

Sanaka and the other great hermits, Lord Brahma, Sages Narada and
others are in full praise of you.

Yam Kuber Digpal Jahan Te,
Kabi Kabid Kahin Sake Kahan Te

What to talk of poets, scholars even demi-Gods
like Yamraja, Kubera, and Digpalas fail to narrate Hanuman's greatness in toto.

Tum Upkar Sugrivahi Keenha,
Ram Miali Rajpad Deenha

O dearest devotee of Sri Ramachandra! You rendered a great service for Sugriva, It was you who advised him to take refuge in Sri Rama.

Tumharo Mantro Bibhishan Maana,
Lankeshwar Bhaye Sab Jag Jaana.

By listening to the glories of Sri Ramachandra through you, vibheeshana took refuge in Rama

Yug Sahastra Yojan Par Bhaanu,
Leelyo Taahi Madhur Phal Jaanu

You tried to swallow the SUN mistaking
it to be a sweet fruit.

Prabhu Mudrika Meli Mukha Maaheen,
Jaladhi Langhi Gaye Acharaj Naheen.

With the Lord's ring, taking the name of Rama
you crossed the ocean.

Durgam Kaaj Jagat Ke Jeete,
Sugam Anugrah Tumhre Te Te.

Most difficult tasks in the world become easy by your
grace.

Ram Duware Tum Rakhavare,
Hot Na Aagya Bin Paisare.

You are the chief guardian at the door of Rama's mercy mansion
No one can enter without your permission.

Sab Sukh Lahen Tumhari Sarna,
Tum Rakshak Kaahu Ko Darnaa.

By your grace one can enjoy all happiness and one need not have any fear under your protection.

Aapan Tej Samharo Aapei,
Tanau Lok Hank Te Kanpei

When you roar all the three worlds tremble; O mighty Hanuman.

Bhoot Pisaach Nikat Nahi Avei,
Mahabir Jab Naam Sunavei.

O Great Brave one, your name keeps all the Ghosts, Demons & evils spirits
away.

Nasei Rog Hare Sab Peera,
Japat Niranter Hanumant Beera

On reciting Hanumanji's holy name regularly all the maladies perish and the entire pain disappears.

Sankat Te Hanuman Chhudavei,
Man Kram Bachan Dhyan Jo Lavei.

Those who remember Hanumanji in thought, word and deed are well guarded
against their odds in life.

Sub Par Ram Tapasvee Raaja,
Tinke Kaaj Sakal Tum Saaja

O Hanumanji! You are the caretaker of Lord - who has been hailed as
the Supreme Lord, the fruit of all those devoted in penances.

Aur Manorath Jo Koi Lave,
Soi Amit Jivan Phal Pave.

You fulfill the desires of those who come to you, you bestow
the eternal nectar the highest fruit of life.

Charo Yug Partap Tumhara,
Hai Parsiddha Jagat Ujiyara.

O Hanumanji! Your magnificent glory is acclaimed far and wide all through the
four ages and your fame is radiantly noted all over the cosmos.

Sadho Sant Ke Tum Rakhvare,
Asur Nikandana Ram Dulare.

You are the guardian of saints and sages, devotees of
of Sri Rama, O slayer of wicked.

Ashta Siddhi Nau Nidhi Ke Data,
Asa Bar Din Janki Mata.

You have been blessed by mother Janaki with Yogic
powers of eight Sidhis and Nava Nidhis.

Ram Rasayan Tumhare Pasa,
Sadaa Raho Raghupati Ke Dasa.

You drink the nectar of Rama nama, always remaining as His humble Servant.

Tumhare Bhajan Ramko Pavei.
Janam Janam Ke Dukh Bisravei.

By your grace, one surely realises Rama and becomes free
from suffering of several lives.

Anta Kaal Raghubar Pur Jai,
Janam Janma Hari Bhakta Kahai.

After death he enters the eternal abode of Sri Rama and remains a devotee of
him for ever.

Aur Devata Chitt Na Dharai,
Hanumant Sei Sarva Sukh Karai

You need not hold any other demigod in mind.
Hanumanji will bestow all happiness.

Sankat Kate Mitey Sab Peera,
Jo Sumirei Hanumant Balbeera

O Powerful Hanumanji! You end the sufferings and remove all the pain from
those who remember you.

Jai Jai Jai Hanuman Gosai
Kripa Karahu Gurudev Ki Naiee

Hail-Hail-Hail-Lord Hanumanji! bless me in the
capacity of my supreme Guru.

Jo Sat Baar Paath Kar Koi,
Chhutahi Bandi Maha Sukh Hoi.

One who recites this Hanuman Chalisa one hundred times daily for one hundred days becomes free from the bondage of life and death and enjoys the highest bliss at last.

Jo Yah Padhe Hanuman Chalisa,
Hoy Siddhi Sakhi Gaurisa

As Lord Shiva witnesses, all those who recite Hanuman Chalisa regularly are
sure to be benedicted

Tulsidas Sada Hari Chera,
Keeje Nath Hriday Mah Dera.

Tulsidas the servant of the Lord Hari prays:
"O my Lord! You enshrine within my heart.!"

Pavan Tanay Sankat Haran, Mangal Murti Roop.
Ram Lakhan Sita Sahit, Hriday Basahu Sur Bhoop.

O Sri Hanuman, The Son of Pavan, destroyer of all obstacles, The Embodiment of auspiciousness, reside in my heart together with Sri Rama, Laxman and Sita

"Brother, this speech of Hanumaan has inspired me with confidence. I trust him absolutely. Did you notice the beauty of his language and how correct and rhythmic his enunciation is? He speaks like one who has mastered the Vedas and the science of grammar. An ideal messenger he is. Fortunate is the king who has such a messenger."

- Sri Ramachandra to Lakshmana

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Buddhimantam Varishtam (First Among the Astute) - Jai Hanuman

- An Extract from my most favourite book - - - 'RAMAYANA' by 'C.RAJAGOPALACHARI'
an abridged English version of Sage Valmiki's Ramayana.

"In what form should I appear before Seeta? In what language should I speak to her? If suddenly a monkey comes and speaks to her in this Asoka grove, Seeta would surely suspect foul play and imagine that Ravana was playing some new trick on her. If I appear suddenly before her, she might cry out in fear. In her present condition this is most likely to happen. The Raakshasis guarding her, who have now fallen asleep, will be startled awake and discover me. They would know that I have come from their enemy and in disguise, and they would bring the Raakshasas to attack me. A great battle would ensue. Of course I shall slay most of them, but the task of comforting Seeta and bearing news of her to Raama would be jeopardised if I were to be captured and held a prisoner here. This would never do. Even if I escape being caught and come out successful in the struggle, I might be wounded and lose strength and be unable to cross the sea. What then would I have gained having seen Seeta? One should never do things in a hurry. One should keep in mind one's main business. King Sugreeva and Rama are confidently awaiting my return. Even a little fault on my part now may lead to great disaster.

"The first thing to do is to get speech with Seeta and put joy and hope in her heart. I must approach her in such a way that she can never for a moment entertain a doubt about my good faith."

"Well, I shall recite in a sweet low tone, and for her hearing only, the story and virtues of Raama. Her heart would then be filled with joy and trust, displacing suspicion. Only thus can I proceed."

So he thought and, still hidden by the branches of the tree, he began to utter in a low voice, the sweet words, "Raama," "Raama."

HIDDEN by the branches, Hanumaan sang in a sweet and gentle voice the story of Raama so that it fell on Seeta's ears:

"King Dasaratha ruled his kingdom well. His army was mighty and comprised of chariots, elephants and horses. He was virtuous and a doer of great deeds. He kept his word and was foremost among the famous kings of the world. He was equal to the rishis in virtue and to Indra in statesmanship. He hated no one and harmed no one. All his endeavours were crowned with success. Therefore men called him Satya-Paraakrama, truly valiant. The richest of the Ikshvaaku race, a king of kings, the ruler of the world, he enjoyed and communicated happiness. The eldest of his four sons was Raamachandra, whose face was like the full moon. Wise, virtuous and a master of the bow, Raama was beloved of all. And he was full of kindness for all the people in the kingdom, a warrior wedded to dharma(righteousness). He was the heir to the throne. And yet, to preserve the honour of his father, he left the kingdom with his wife Seeta and his brother Lakshmana and lived in the forest."

"There he vanquished the Raakshasas and protected the rishis. He destroyed Khara and Dooshana and their mighty army. Coming to hear of this, Raavana, bent on revenge, induced a Raakshasa to assume the form of a deer and beguile the princes in pursuit and, in their absence, carried off Seeta by force."

"Grief-struck Raama went in search of Seeta. He met Sugreeva, the Vaanara, and made friends with him. Raama slew Vaali, the Vaanara king, and secured to his brother Sugreeva the Vaanara kingdom. And Sugreeva sent his Vaanara warriors to all the quarters of the globe to find out where Seeta was."

"These Vaanara warriors, who could assume what shape they would, searched the whole world for the missing Seeta. Following a clue given by Sampaati, I crossed the sea a hundred yojanaas (900 miles) broad, and have come here. And now I see one whose form, complexion and qualities are those described to me by Raama as his royal spouse's."

Having said this, Hanumaan paused.

These sweet words, uttered by someone from somewhere, filled Seeta with wonder and delight. She looked around in all directions to discover who conveyed such sweet matter in so sweet a voice and in such exquisite language.

She looked around, and up and down but found no human form to match this perfect speech. She only saw a lovely little monkey seated on the branch above her.

Seeta saw the son of Vaayu, the wise minister of the Vaanara king, in the form of a little monkey, radiant like the rising sun."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Rama asked Hanuman, 'With what attitude do you look on me?’

Hanuman replied, 'Rama, when I have the feeling of ‘I’, I look upon you as the whole and myself as your part; you are the Master and I your servant.

And Rama, when I attain the knowledge of the Absolute, I see that You are I and I am You.’"

- Sri Ramakrishna Pramahamsa

Last edited:
Shiva Tandava Stotra - Composed by RAVANA

- Source of Translation - Youtube

With his neck, consecrated by the flow of water flowing from the thick forest-like locks of hair, and on the neck, where the lofty snake is hanging garland, and the Damaru drum making the sound of Damat Damat Damat Damat, Lord Shiva did the auspicious dance of Tandava, May He shower prosperity on us all.

I have a very deep interest in Lord Shiva, whose head is glorified by the rows of moving waves of the celestial river Ganga, agitating in the deep well of his hair-locks, and who has the brilliant fire flaming on the surface of his forehead, and who has the crescent moon as a jewel on his head.

May my mind seek happiness in the Lord Shiva, in whose mind all the living beings of the glorious universe exist, who is the sportive companion of Parvati(daughter of the mountain king), who controls invincible hardships with the flow of his compassionate look, who is all-pervasive.

May I seek wonderful pleasure in Lord Shiva, who is supporter of all life, who with his creeping snake with reddish brown hood and with the luster of his gem on it spreading out variegated colors on the beautiful faces of the maidens of directions, who is covered with a glittering upper garment made of the skin of a huge intoxicated elephant.

May Lord Shiva give us prosperity, who has the moon as his head-jewel, whose hair is tied by the red snake- garland, whose foot-stool is grayed by the flow of dust from the flowers from the rows of heads of all the Gods, Indra/Vishnu and others.

May we get the wealth of Siddhis from Shiva's locks of hair, which devoured the God of Love with the sparks of the fire flaming in His forehead, who is bowed by all the celestial leaders, who is beautiful with a crescent moon

My interest is in Lord Shiva, who has three eyes, who has offered the powerful God of Love into the fire, flaming Dhagad Dhagad on the flat surface of his forehead who is the sole expert artist of drawing decorative lines on the tips of breasts of Parvati, the daughter of the mountain king.

May Lord Shiva give us prosperity, who bears the burden of this universe, who is lovely with the moon, who is red wearing the skin, who has the celestial river Ganga, whose neck is dark as midnight of new moon night covered by many layers of clouds.

I pray to Lord Shiva, whose neck is tied with the luster of the temples hanging on the neck with the glory of the fully-bloomed blue lotuses which looked like the blackness(sins) of the universe, who is the killer of Manmatha(cupid), who destroyed Tripuras(celestial forts), who destroys the bonds of worldly life, who destroyed the sacrifice, who destroyed the demon Andhaka, the destroyer of the elephants, and controller of the God of death, Yama.

I pray to Lord Shiva, who has bees flying all over because of the sweet honey from the beautiful bunch of auspicious Kadamba flowers, who is the killer of Manmatha, who destroyed Tripuras, who destroys the bonds of worldly life, who destroyed the sacrifice, who destroyed the demon Andhaka, the killer of the elephants, and who controls the God of death, Yama.

Lord Siva, whose dance of Tandava is in tune with the series of loud sounds of drum making Dhimid Dhimid sounds, who has the fire on the great forehead, the fire that is spreading out because of the breath of the snake wandering in whirling motion in the glorious sky.

When will I worship Lord Sadasiva(eternally auspicious) God, with equal vision towards the people and an emperor, and a blade of grass and lotus-like eye, towards both friends and enemies, towards the valuable gem and some lump of dirt, towards a snake and a garland and towards varied ways of the world.

When will I be happy, living in the hollow place near the celestial river, Ganga, carrying the folded hands on my head all the time, with my bad thinking washed away, and uttering the mantra of Lord Shiva and devoted in the God with glorious forehead with vibrating eyes.

Whoever reads, remembers and says this stotra as it is said here, gets purified for ever, and obtains devotion in the great Guru Shiva. For this devotion, there is no other way. Just the mere thought of Lord Shiva indeed removes the delusion.

- Ravana

YouTube - Shiva Tandava Stotram

OM Tryambakam yajamahe sugandhim Pushtivardhanam|
Urvarukamiva Bandhanath Mrityormruthyu yamamrtat||

I bow down before three-eyed Lord Shiva,
who is full of sweet fragrance,
who nourishes all beings.

May He free me from the bondage of Samsara(Cycle of birth and death),
just as a ripe cucumber fruit is separated from the creeper.

May I be fixed in Immortality!

"Never harbour malice towards anyone. Shiva, Kali, and Hari are but different forms of that One. He is blessed indeed who has known all as one. Outwardly he appears as Shiva's devotee, But in his heart he worships Kali, the Blissful Mother, And with his tongue he chants aloud Lord Hari's name.

He is unknowable by the mind engrossed in worldliness. One cannot attain God if one has even a trace of attachment to 'lust and gold'. But He is knowable by the pure mind and the pure intelligence―the mind and intelligence that have not the slightest trace of attachment. Pure Mind, Pure Intelligence, Pure Atman, are one and the same thing."

"Truth is one; sages call it by various names - Ekam Sat Viprah Bahudha Vadanti."​
- Rig Veda

"He who wants to serve Shiva must serve His children - must serve all creatures in this world first. It is said in the Shastras(Scriptures) that those who serve the servants of God are His greatest servants. Unselfishness is the test of religion. He who has more of this unselfishness is more spiritual and nearer to Shiva. And if a man is selfish, even though he has visited all the temples, seen all the places of pilgrimage, and painted himself like a leopard, he is still further off from Shiva."
- Swami Vivekananda

Last edited:
Thumak chalat Raamachandra - by Sri Tulsidas

Lovely toddler Sri Ramachandra walks in a crooked way to the delight of all.

His anklets ring in tune with his steps,

Laughing joyously he stumbles around on the ground.

He is fondly picked into the laps by King Dasharatha’s queens,

covered with their saris, dusting the dirt off and caressing his bruises,

offering reassuring words of love and devotion to make him feel better.

Baby Ram’s ruby red lips speak sweet melodious words,

Ornaments decorate his neck and waist,

Tulsidas is thrilled looking at Sri Ramachandra, jewel among Raghu dynasty, who has the glory/radiance of the Sun.

YouTube - Thumak chalat ram chandra - Jai Shri Ram

"All of you know about Narada. He is one of the greatest devotees of the Lord. Veena in hand he roams all the three worlds, singing the Lord’s name. Everyone respects him.

One day he came to Vaikunta singing ‘Narayana, Narayana’. Lord Vishnu greeted him and seated him comfortably. The Lord asked him, “Narada, you have been going round the earth. Did you notice anything special?”

Narada drew himself up and said, “Lord! I do not know what to tell you. People everywhere are getting more in the pleasures of the senses. Nobody has time to remember you. You must do something about it. Otherwise you will be completely forgotten. Your very position as the Lord of the Universe is in danger.”

The Lord smiled. He can see readily what is behind the words and deeds of everyone. He understood that Narada was speaking thus because he thought no one was so great a devotee as he.

The Lord loved Narada dearly. So he wanted to remove the poisonous seed of pride from Narada’s heart.

He told him, “Narada, you go about singing my name non-stop. Hearing you, are not people inspired? Listening to you, will they also not chant my name?” This argument only increased Narada’s ego.

He said, “Lord! Devotion is not easy. It is true I am spending all the twenty four hours singing your glories. But ordinary people cannot do like that.”

The Lord was now sure that Narada must be taught a very good lesson. He said, “Narada, no doubt few can equal you in devotion. That is why I want you to go and meet the peasant Govinda in the village of Salagrama. May be, you may be able to know something more about devotion from him.”

Narada’s pride was touched. Who was this Govinda whose devotion was greater than his? He must surely meet him.

Narada came down to the earth quickly. He located the village and spotted the residence of Govinda. This peasant was a poor man living in a hut. Narada watched his actions hiding behind a tree.

Govinda got up in the morning, washed his face and stood in front of the Lord’s picture. He uttered Narayana, Narayana, Narayana, - - -thrice.

He bowed down, then took his plough, put it on his shoulder and walked to his field. The whole day he ploughed and watered the field. At dusk he returned home.

He took his bath and once more stood before the Lord’s picture. He again uttered Narayana thrice. Then he took his food and slept, snoring loudly.

Narada was puzzled. How can this Govinda be a greater devotee than himself? Perhaps the Lord was pulling his leg. Straight away he returned to Vaikunta.

“Narada, did you meet Govinda?” asked the Lord with a smile.

“Yes,” replied Narada. “I found your Govinda. But you could have told me you were joking. This Govinda utters your name only twice a day. He is completely absorbed in his field. I sing your name all the twenty four hours. And you compare Govinda with me!”

The Lord continued to smile. “Narada, could you do one thing? Please bring a cup filled to the brim with oil.” Narada brought the oil-filled cup. “Now go round this assembly thrice with the cup in your hand. But see that not one drop of oil is split.” Narada did as ordered.

Holding the cup carefully, he completed three rounds. Not a drop of oil was spilt. With a proud smile he said to the Lord, “I have passed your test. But tell me why you wanted me to do this.”

The Lord asked him, “Narada, while making the rounds, how many times did you utter my name?”Narada was upset. He said, “Lord, what a question to ask? You wanted me to see that not a drop of oil fell down. Attending to that, how can I utter your name?”

The Lord burst into laughter. “My son, you could not get time to utter my name even once while attending to the cup of oil for a few minutes. Look at Govinda. He is running a family with all its cares, but he manages to utter my name before he starts his work and again after finishing the work. This means while doing his worldly duties, he is always thinking of me." Narada’s pride in his devotion was broken.

It is not the number of times that the Lord’s name is uttered that matters. It is constantly remembering him under all conditions that is true devotion. Whatever you do, remember him."

"The secret of religion lies not in theories but in practice. To be good and do good - that is the whole of religion."​

- Swami Vivekananda​

Last edited:
Lingaashtakam

- Source of Translation: Spiritual blogspot

Brahma Muraari Suraarchita Lingam
Nirmala Bhashita Shobhita Lingam|
Janmaja Dukha Vinaashaka Lingam
Tat Pranamaami Sadaa Shiva Lingam||

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, which is adored by Brahma, Vishnu and the other gods, which is praised by pure and holy speeches, and which destroys the cycle of births and deaths.

Devamuni Pravaraarchita Lingam
Kaamadaham Karunaakara Lingam|
Raavana Darpa Vinaashaka Lingam
Tat Pranamaami Sada Shiva Lingam||

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, which reduced the Cupid to ashes, which the Devas and the sages worship, which is infinitely compassionate and which subdued the pride of Ravana.

Sarva Sugandha Sulepitha Lingam
Buddhi Vivardhana Kaarana Lingam|
Siddha Suraasura Vanditha Lingam
Tat Pranamaami Sadaa Shiva Lingam||​

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, which is lavishly smeared with variegated perfumes and scents, which elevates the power of thought and enkindles the light of discrimination, and which the Siddhas, the Suras and the Asuras prostrate before.

Kanaka Mahaamani Bhushitha Lingam
Phanipathi Veshtitha Shobhitha Lingam|
Daksha Suyajna Vinaashaka Lingam

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, the destroyer of Daksha’s sacrifice, which is decorated with various ornaments, studded with different gems and rubies and which glows with the serpent lord coiled around.

Kumkuma Chandana Lepitha Lingam
Pankaja Haara Sushobhitha Lingam|
Sanchitha Paapa Vinaashaka Lingam

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, which is smeared with saffron and sandal-paste, which is fair with lotus-garlands, and which extirpates the multitude of all accumulated sins.

Devaganaarchitha Sevitha Lingam
Bhaavair Bhakti Bhirevacha Lingam|
Dinakara Koti Prabhakara Lingam

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, which is worshipped by the multitude of gods with genuine thoughts full of faith and devotion and whose splendour is like that of million suns.

Ashta Dalopari Veshtitha Lingam
Sarva Samudbhava Kaarana Lingam|
Ashta Daridra Vinaashaka Lingam

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, destructive of all poverty in its eight aspects, which is the cause of all creation and which stands on the eight Dalas(leaves).

Suraguru Suravara Pujitha Lingam
Suravana Pushpa Sadaarchitha Lingam|
Paraatparam Paramatmaka Lingam

I bow before that Sadashivalinga, which is the Transcendent Being and the Supreme Self, worshipped by all Suras with their priest ahead, with innumerable flowers from the celestial gardens.

THE LAND OF RENUNCIATION - SWAMI VIVEKANANDA

"According to the dualistic sects of India, the individual souls remain as individuals throughout, and God creates the universe out of pre-existing material only as the efficient cause. According to the Advaitists, on the other hand, God is both the material and the efficient cause of the universe. He is not only the Creator of the universe, but He creates it out of Himself. That is the Advaitist position. There are crude dualistic sects who believe that this world has been created by God out of Himself, and at the same time God is eternally separate from the universe, and everything is eternally subordinate to the Ruler of the universe. There are sects too who also believe that out of Himself God has evolved this universe, and individuals in the long run attain to Nirvana to give up the finite and become the Infinite. But these sects have disappeared. The one sect of Advaitists that you see in modern India is composed of the followers of Shankara. According to Shankara, God is both the material and the efficient cause through Maya, but not in reality. God has not become this universe; but the universe is not, and God is. This is one of the highest points to understand of Advaita Vedanta, this idea of Maya. I am afraid I have no time to discuss this one most difficult point in our philosophy. Those of you who are acquainted with Western philosophy will find something very similar in Kant. But I must warn you, those of you who have studied Professor Max Muller's writings on Kant, that there is one idea most misleading. It was Shankara who first found out the idea of the identity of time, space, and causation with Maya, and I had the good fortune to find one or two passages in Shankara's commentaries and send them to my friend the Professor. So even that idea was here in India. Now this is a peculiar theory — this Maya theory of the Advaita Vedantists. The Brahman is all that exists, but differentiation has been caused by this Maya. Unity, the one Brahman, is the ultimate, the goal, and herein is an eternal dissension again between Indian and Western thought. India has thrown this challenge to the world for thousands of years, and the challenge has been taken up by different nations, and the result is that they all succumbed and you live. This is the challenge that this world is a delusion, that it is all Maya, that whether you eat off the ground with your fingers or dine off golden plates, whether you live in palaces and are one of the mightiest monarchs or are the poorest of beggars, death is the one result; it is all the same, all Maya. That is the old Indian theme, and again and again nations are springing up trying to unsay it, to disprove it; becoming great, with enjoyment as their watchword, power in their hands, they use that power to the utmost, enjoy to the utmost, and the next moment they die. We stand for ever because we see that everything is Maya. The children of Maya live for ever, but the children of enjoyment die.

Here again is another great difference. Just as you find the attempts of Hegel and Schopenhauer in German philosophy, so you will find the very same ideas brought forward in ancient India. Fortunately for us, Hegelianism was nipped in the bud and not allowed to sprout and cast its baneful shoots over this motherland of ours. Hegel's one idea is that the one, the absolute, is only chaos, and that the individualized form is the greater. The world is greater than the non-world, Samsara is greater than salvation. That is the one idea, and the more you plunge into this Samsara the more your soul is covered with the workings of life, the better you are. They say, do you not see how we build houses, cleanse the streets, enjoy the senses? Ay, behind that they may hide rancour, misery, horror — behind every bit of that enjoyment.

On the other hand, our philosophers have from the very first declared that every manifestation, what you call evolution, is vain, a vain attempt of the unmanifested to manifest itself. Ay, you the mighty cause of this universe, trying to reflect yourself in little mud puddles! But after making the attempt for a time you find out it was all in vain and beat a retreat to the place from whence you came. This is Vairagya, or renunciation, and the very beginning of religion. How can religion or morality begin without renunciation itself ? The Alpha and Omega is renunciation. "Give up," says the Veda, "give up." That is the one way, "Give up".न प्रजया धनेन त्यागेनैकेऽमृतत्वमानशुः — "Neither through wealth, nor through progeny, but by giving up alone that immortality is to be reached." That is the dictate of the Indian books. Of course, there have been great givers-up of the world, even sitting on thrones. But even (King) Janaka himself had to renounce; who was a greater renouncer than he? But in modern times we all want to be called Janakas! They are all Janakas (lit. fathers) of children — unclad, ill-fed, miserable children. The word Janaka can be applied to them in that sense only; they have none of the shining, Godlike thoughts as the old Janaka had. These are our modern Janakas! A little less of this Janakism now, and come straight to the mark! If you can give up, you will have religion. If you cannot, you may read all the books that are in the world, from East to West, swallow all the libraries, and become the greatest of Pandits, but if you have Karma Kanda only, you are nothing; there is no spirituality. Through renunciation alone this immortality is to be reached. It is the power, the great power, that cares not even for the universe; then it is that ब्रह्माण्डम् गोष्पदायते। "The whole universe becomes like a hollow made by a cow's foot."

Renunciation, that is the flag, the banner of India, floating over the world, the one undying thought which India sends again and again as a warning to dying races, as a warning to all tyranny, as a warning to wickedness in the world. Ay, Hindus, let not your hold of that banner go. Hold it aloft. Even if you are weak and cannot renounce, do not lower the ideal. Say, "I am weak and cannot renounce the world", but do not try to be hypocrites, torturing texts, and making specious arguments, and trying to throw dust in the eyes of people who are ignorant. Do not do that, but own you are weak. For the idea is great, that of renunciation. What matters it if millions fail in the attempt, if ten soldiers or even two return victorious! Blessed be the millions dead! Their blood has bought the victory. This renunciation is the one ideal throughout the different Vedic sects except one, and that is the Vallabhacharya sect in Bombay Presidency, and most of you are aware what comes where renunciation does not exist. We want orthodoxy — even the hideously orthodox, even those who smother themselves with ashes, even those who stand with their hands uplifted. Ay, we want them, unnatural though they be, for standing for that idea of giving up, and acting as a warning to the race against succumbing to the effeminate luxuries that are creeping into India, eating into our very vitals, and tending to make the whole race a race of hypocrites. We want to have a little of asceticism. Renunciation conquered India in days of yore, it has still to conquer India. Still it stands as the greatest and highest of Indian ideals — this renunciation.
The land of Buddha, the land of Ramanuja, of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, the land of renunciation, the land where, from the days of yore, Karma Kanda was preached against, and even today there are hundreds who have given up everything, and become Jivanmuktas — ay, will that land give up its ideals? Certainly not. There may be people whose brains have become turned by the Western luxurious ideals; there may be thousands and hundreds of thousands who have drunk deep of enjoyment, this curse of the West — the senses — the curse of the world; yet for all that, there will be other thousands in this motherland of mine to whom religion will ever be a reality, and who will be ever ready to give up without counting the cost, if need be."

"The National ideals of India are Renunciation and Service." - Swami Vivekananda

"If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions of some of them which well deserve the attention even of those who have studied Plato and Kant, I should point to India. And if I were to ask myself from what literature we, here in Europe, we who have been nurtured almost exclusively on the thoughts of Greeks and Romans, and of one Semitic race, the Jewish, may draw that corrective which is most wanted in order to make our inner life more perfect, more comprehensive, more universal, in fact, more truly human, a life, not for this life only, but a transfigured and eternal life - again I should point to India."
- Max Muller(German Indologist)​

"He who has merely heard of milk is 'ignorant'. He who has seen milk has 'knowledge'. But he who has drunk milk and been strengthened by it has attained 'vignana'.

There is a difference between, a sadhu endowed with jnana and one endowed with vignana. The jnani sadhu has a certain way of sitting. He twirls his moustache and asks the visitor, 'Well, sir! Have you any question to ask?' But the man who always sees God and talks to Him intimately has an altogether different nature. He is sometimes like an inert thing, sometimes like a ghoul, sometimes like a child, and sometimes like a madman.”

"Forgive me
Oh, Shiva
My three great sins!
I came on a pilgrimage to Kashi forgetting that, you are omnipresent.
In thinking about you I forgot that, You are beyond thought.
In praying to You I forgot that, You are beyond words."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back