• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

English Translation of Telugu/Hindi/Sanskrit Devotional Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Chalada Hari NamasmaraNamrutamu - Annamacharya Kirtana

What else is needed! When the divine elixir of Lord Hari's name is with us.

It bestows the nectar of happiness and all auspiciousness. Is it not enough?||

What else is needed! When we have the Lord Hari's name to liberate us from the bondage of 'births and deaths' cycle.

Meditating on Sri Hari's name always, relives us from the agony of passing through thousand hells. Is it not enough?||

What else is needed! When we have Lord Hari's name like a mountain of 'Gold'. It drives away all 'evils of poverty'.

Like a Lamp in Darkness, Sri Hari's name dispels all 'evils of bitter darkness(ignorance)'. Is it not enough?||

What else is needed! When we have a kirtana (song) in praise of Lord Venkateshwara; it is like a Kalpataru (wish fulfilling tree) in this world.

When the Lord's Grace is there is for us.

What else is needed?||

Jaya Govinda Hare

Bhaja Govinda Hare

Jaya Govinda Hare

Bhaja Govinda Hare

Jaya Govinda Hare

Bhaja Govinda Hare

Govinda Hari Jaya

Gopala Hari Jaya

- Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya (15th Century)

“You need to have faith, love and devotion for the Lord. Listen to this – how powerful is faith! A person wanted to go across the sea from Ceylon. Bibhishana said, ‘Take this and take care that it is tied to the end of your cloth. This will enable you to walk across the ocean in safety. But mind, never try to open it to look at it, for you will go under the water the moment you open it.’ This fellow walked the ocean for some time in perfect safety. Such is the omnipotence of faith. However, after crossing a part of the way, he began to wonder what precious thing Bibhishana had tied to the end of his cloth that could take him across the water. Thinking this, he opened the knot of cloth and found only the name of ‘Rama’ written on a leaf. He said to himself: Oh, just this! Thinking this, he sank into the water."

“Rama, who was God Himself - the embodiment of Absolute Brahman - had to build a bridge to cross the sea to Ceylon. But Hanuman, trusting in Rama's name, cleared the sea in one jump and reached the other side. He had no need of a bridge."

- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa​
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chAladA hari nAma smara Namrutamu tamaku
chAladA hita vaina chavu lella nosaga ||

idi yokaTi hari nAma mintaina chAladA
chedarakee janmamula cheralu viDi pincha
madi nokaTe harinAma mintaina chAladA
padi vEla naraka koopamula veDalincha ||

kala dokaTi hari nAma kanakAdri chAladA
tolagu mani dAridrya dOshambu cheracha
teli vokaTi hari nama deepa madi chAladA
kalushampu kaThina cheekaTi pAra drOla ||

tagu vEnkatESu keertana mokaTi chAladA
jagamulO kalpa bhoojambu vale nunDa
sogasi ee vibhuni dAsula karuNa chAladA
nagavu choopulanu vunnata mepuDu joopa ||​

Last edited:
S

Somayaji.S

Rajasekar:-(quote)Some of the words used by 'Saint Thyagaraja' are not in use now in present form of 'Telugu'. These words probably got modified into other forms with same meaning. To the present day Telugu generation, The words used by Sri Annamacharya(15th Century) are much easier to understand than that of 'Saint Thyagaraja'(18 Century) as the former has got more native words. Telugu like other [COLOR=#da7911 !important][COLOR=#da7911 !important]Indian[/COLOR][/COLOR] languages is much influenced by Sanskrit. Many of the sanskrit words are absorbed into Telugu but in the current form of Telugu, the sanskrit words are increasingly being replaced by many words from native regional dialects like Andhra, Telangana and Rayalaseeema etc. . . (en-quote)

sri.Rajasekar,You are 100 percent right.My thoughts are also the same as that of yours.Many of saint sri.Thyagaiyya's lyrics were of 15 th and 16th Century Telugu as can be corroborated frm the Telugu Palm leaves in King Sarfoji Library in Tanjavoor.There was a criticism that some Super Excellent Tamil Nadu musicians like Sarva sri.Madurai Mani Iyer,M.D.Ramanathan etc were Not paying enough attention to Lyrics.Even Kanchi Parama Acharya Swami(he was Kannada Smaarthaa from Tamil Nadu,but adept in Kannada,Telugu and Tamil apart from Sanskrit.) mildly admonished the musicians that they should give equal attention to lyrics also,because the Vaaggeyakaaras were interested to spread the Bhakthi Yogam.When a number of Telugu musicians like sarva sri.Voloti Venkateswarulu,Balamuarali krishna etc came to lime-light,the telugu carnatic music admirers,felt that the telugu lyrics needed a kind of "purification"--without realising that 17-18 th century Telugu is different from the so called "Modern Telugu",they even tampered a little with sri.Thagayya's original lyrics. --You are right--Tamil,Telugu,Kkannadam ,Malayaalam--for that matter any Indian language has borrowed a large number of Sanskrit words.There was a time ,when Kannada,Telugu,and Malayalam people accepted it and they were proud of that also.This Modern Telugu fad has come to Teluguvaadus from their "Kodum Tamil" counterparts. I hope Kannadas and Malayalees do not fall into this fad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Sangeeta Sahitya - Written by Dr C. Narayana Reddy

O Mother Saraswati/Sharada! Personification of Knowledge, Music and Arts; with swara, raaga, tala as ornaments. O Consort of Lord Brahma (Bharathi), I meditate upon You, offer Pranams(Salutations) to your Lotus Feet with all respect.||

O Embodiment of pure knowledge in Vedas and Vedanta, Encyclopedia of all Music, sound of Atman (‘OM’). Source of Jnana, the driving force/thrust/wisdom/sweetness behind the writings of Great Sages: Valmiki and Vyaasa.||

O Consort of Brahma, who has taken seat at the tip of the tongue (rasanagra), source of all words of wisdom, bestower of auspiciousness; effulgent, the radiance of Supreme Knowledge emanating from Supreme Consciousness(The Truth). Bestower of all Skills (sukala), lighting our path(sandeepini) with sense of divine elixir(music).||

YouTube - Sangeeta Sahitya(Swathi Kiranam) - CiNaRe Sahityam

sangeeta saahitya samalankRutE sangeeta saahitya samalankRutE
swara raaga padayOga samabhooshitE
E bhaarati manasaasmaraami E bhaarati manasaasmaraami
SRi bhaarati shirasaanamaami SRi bhaarati shirasaanamaami||

vEda vEdaanta vanavaasini poorna SaSihaasini
naada naadaanta parivESini aatma sambhaaSini
vEda vEdaanta vanavaasini poorna SaSihaasini
naada naadaanta parivESini aatma sambhaaSini
vyaasa vaalmiiki vaagdaayini
vyaasa vaalmiiki vaagdaayini jnyaanavalli savullaasini||

bRahma rasanaagRa sanchaariNi
bhavya bhalakaariNi
nitya chaitanya nijaroopiNi satya sangdeepiNi
bhavya bhalakaariNi
nitya chaitanya nijaroopiNi satya sangdeepiNi
sakala sukaLaasamunvEShiNi
sakala sukaLaasamunvEShiNi sarva rasa bhaava sandeepiNi||

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
"I know no Mantra, Yantra or Stotra; I know no invocation or contemplation, I know no stories in your praise; I know not Mudras, not even how to cry out; I simply know that to run to you, Mother, destroys all distress.

By a mistake of fate, poverty, laziness or the impossibility of becoming your devotee, I have been dropped from your feet. Auspicious Mother! Saviour of all man-kind! Forgive my sin. A wicked son is sometimes born, but an unkind Mother never.

Oh! Goddess Durga, Ocean of compassion! I think of you only when I am immersed in calamities. Do not part it as insincerity on my part. A child who is seized with hunger or thirst, thinks of his mother only.

Ignorant of the commands of scripture, utterly devoid of wealth, shiftless, indolent am I, unable to do as I ought to do. Mother, Saviour of all man-kind! kindly forgive my sins.

Here in this world of Yours, O Mother! many are Your guiltless children; but restless am I among them all, and so it is nothing very strange that I should turn myself from You. Yet, surely, it were impossible that You should ever turn away from me.

I do not ask of You, O Mother! riches, good fortune, or salvation; I seek no happiness, no knowledge. This is my only prayer to You, that as the breath of life forsakes me, still I may chant Your holy name."

- Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya
"However great and infinite God may be, His Essence can and does manifest itself through man by His mere will. God's Incarnation as a man cannot be explained by analogy. One must feel it for oneself and realize it by direct perception. An analogy can give us only a little glimpse. By touching the horns, legs, or tail of a cow, we in fact touch the cow herself; but for us the essential thing about a cow is her milk, which comes through the udder. The Divine Incarnation is like the udder.

God incarnates Himself as man from time to time in order to teach people devotion and divine love."​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

IkshvAkukula tilaka - - Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu Kirtana

O Ramachandra, the noblest person of Ikshvaku dynasty, if you don't come to my rescue, who else is there for me? ||

Got the ramparts around the temple built, spending ten thousand varahaaalu (coins), O Ramachandra. ||

Got the pavilions built in the towers. please don't treat me as a stranger.. come to my rescue, O Ramachandra. ||

Offered an emerald medallion to Bharatha, spending ten thousand coins, O Ramachandra. ||

Presented a gold belt to Satrughna, spending ten thousand moharilu (coins), O Lord Rama. ||

Presented a beautiful pearl medallion to Lakshmana spending ten thousand varahaalu, O Ramachandra. ||

Offered a valuable ornament to Mother Sita, costing ten thousand varahaalu, O Ramachandra. ||

Presented chariots to each one of you, but my legs are chained, O Lord of the whole Universe. ||

Presented you a pretty and glittering plume with which you go about in all pride. ||

Did emperor Dasaratha, your father, presented you with all these ornaments?

Or, did emperor Janaka, your father-in-law send them to you, O Ramachandra? ||

Pardon me, blamed you as i am not able to bear the torture, O Ramachandra. ||

My life has become useless like the water sprinkled on a river.

I became worse than the most downtrodden, O Sri Ramachandra. ||

I didn't consider that the government money was so precious, while spending it for you.

Now, I cannot bear the lashes any more. Redeem me from this debt, O Ramachandra. ||

O son of Dasaratha and Kausalya, you established yourself well in Bhadrachalam.

please save me. ||

O Ramachandra, you are the saviour of all devotees.

Please rescue and take care of Ramadasu. ||

- Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu (17th century)

"The iron must be heated several times and hammered a hundred times before it becomes fit to be made into a sharp sword and can be bent in any way you like. So man must be heated several times in the furnace of tribulations and hammered with the persecutions of the world before he becomes pure and humble." - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

--------------------------------------------------------------------
ikshvAku kula tilaka ika naina balukavu rAmachandra
nannu rakshimpa kunnanu rakshaku levarinka rAmachandra||

chuTTu prAkaramulu somputo gaTTisti rAma chandra
A prAkAramula ku baTTe padi vELa varahAlu rAmachandra||

gOpura manTapAlu kuduruga gaTTisti rAma chandra
nanu krottaga chooDaga ittari brOvumu rAma chadra ||

bharatunaku chEyisti pachchala patakamu rAma chandra
A patakanunaku paTTe padi vEla varahAlu rAma chandra ||

Satrujnunaku chEyisti bangAru molatAdu rAmachandra
A mola trATiki paTTe mohareelu padivElu rAmachandra ||

lakshmaNunaku mutyAla patakamu rAmachandra
A pata kamunaku padi vEla varahAlu rAmachandra ||

seetammaku chEyisti chintAku patakamu rAmachandra
A patakamunaku paTTe padi vEla varahAlu rAmachandra ||

vAhanamulu meeku varusa to chEyisti rAma chandra
jagan mOhana sankeLLu vEsiri rAma chandra

kaliki turAyi neeku merupuga chEyiste rAma chandra
neevukulu kuchu tirigedavu
yevarabba sommani rAMachandra ||

mee tanDri daSaratha mahArAju peTTenA rAmachandra
lEka nee mAma janaka mahA rAju pampena rAmachandra ||

abba tiTTiti nani AyAsa paDa vaddu rAma chandra
ee debba la kOrvaka abba tiTTiti nayya rAmachandra ||

yETi challina neeLLAye nA bratuku rAmachandra
nEnu adhamurAlu kanTe anyAya maitini rAma chandra ||

sarkAru paikamu truNamuga yenchaka rAma chandra
debbalu tinalEnu appu teerchu rAma chandra ||

kausalya putruDa daSaratha tanayuDa rAma chandra
kAvu kshEmamuga bhadradri nelakonna Sree rAma chandra ||

bhaktu landarini paripAlincheDi Sree rAma chandra
neevu kshEmamuga Sree rAma dAsuni yElumu rAma chandra ||

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Ksheera Sagara Sayana - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Lord reclining in the Ocean of Milk! Should You keep me in distress? (by not revealing yourself)||

O Lord Rama! I heard about Your coming speedily in order to protect Gajendra (Elephant).||

I heard long ago about Your help to Draupadi;
I also heard about incarcerated Bhaktha Ramadasu, who got released by You;
I even heard about Your fame in crossing the ocean for the sake of Mother Sita;
please redeem me with compassion;
O Lord, whose name carries one across the ocean of Worldly Existence!
O Lord of Thyagaraja||

- Sri Thyagaraja (18th Century)

"Why not? Where will he go away from the world? I realize that wherever I live I am always in the Ayodhya of Rama. This whole world is Rama's Ayodhya. After receiving instruction from His teacher, Rama said that He would renounce the world. Dasaratha, worried at this, went to the sage Vasishtha and begged him to persuade Rama not to give up the world. The Sage came to Rama and found him in a gloomy mood. The Fire of intense renunciation had been raging in the Prince's mind. He said to Rama: 'First of all, reason with me, Rama; then You may leave the world. May I ask You if this world is outside, God? If that is so, then You may give it up.' Rama found that it is God alone who has become the universe and all its living beings. Everything in the world appears real on account of God's reality behind it. Thereupon Rama became silent.”

“In the country I have seen the women of the carpenter families making flattened rice with a husking-machine. With one hand one of them turns the paddy in the hole and with the other she holds a nursing child. At the same time she talks with the buyer. She says to him: 'You owe me two annas. Pay it before you go.' But seventy-five per cent of the woman's mind is on her hand lest it should be crushed by the pestle of the husking machine. A man should do his worldly duties with only twenty-five percent of his mind, devoting the rest to God."
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
-------------------------------------------------------
kSheera sAgara sayana nannu
cintala peTTa valenA rAma||

vAraNa rAjunu brOvanu vEgamE
vaccinadi vinnAnurA rAma||

narI maNiki cheeralicchinadi
nADE nE vinnAnurA
dhIruDau rAma dAsuni bandhamu
thIrchinadi vinnAnurA
nIrajAkShikai nIradhi dATina

nI kIrtini vinnAnurA
tAraka nAma thyAgarAja nuta​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Jo Achyutananda Jo Jo Mukunda - lullaby to Lord Venkateshwara by Annamayya

Jo Achyutananda(immutable/imperishable one), Jo Jo Mukunda!

O Embodiment of Eternal bliss/Supreme happiness,

O Rama Govinda.||

Your play at Nanda's house is Mesmerising.

Maidens of surpassing beauty are serving you.

Your lovely deceptive acts made some call you a thief.

You are our dear Ranga.||

O Father of all, come dear.

Here is milk in a golden bowl.

All the maidens are lying that you are a thief.

Come and play with me, my adorable boy.||

O Marvelous boy! You made use of Mount Govardhana as an Umbrella.

You punished the wicked/arrogant Kamsa and took charge of Mathura.

O beloved son of Devaki||

With Love, Tallapaka Annamayya tells this lullaby(Jola) to his Lord Sri Venkateshwara,

the bestower of prosperity and auspiciousness to all.

O Madana Gopala.||

Jo Jo
Jo Jo
Jo Jo
- -
- -

- Annamayya (15th Century)

"By whatsoever way men worship Me, even so do I accept them; for, in all ways, O Partha, men walk in My path."

- Bhagawad Gita

"Why should you be frightened? Hold fast to God. What if the world is like a forest of thorns? Put on shoes and walk on the thorns. Whom should you fear? You won't have to play again the part of the 'thief' in the game of hide-and-seek, once you touch the granny.”
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jo atchyutAnanda Jo Jo mukundA
rAve paramAnanda rAma gOvindA ||

nandu ninTanu chEri nayamu meeranga
chandra vadanulu neeku sEva chEyanga
andamuga vArinDla ADu chundanga
mandalaku donga mAmuddu ranga||

angajuni kanna mAyanna iTu rArA
bangAru ginne lO pAlu pOsErA
donga neevani satulu bonku chunnArA
mungiTa ADarA mOhanAkArA||

gOvadhanambella goDugugA baTTi
kAvaramuna nunna kamsubaDagoTTi
nIvu madhurApuramu nElajEpaTTi
ThIvitO nElina dEvakI paTTi||

anguga tALLa pAka annamayya chAlA
sringAra rachanagA cheppe nee Jola
sangati sakala sampadala nee vELa
mangaLamu tiru paTla madana gOpAla||​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Humko Manki Shakthi dena - written by Sri Gulzar

O God, Please bestow us Strength of Mind.||

Before winning over others, May we conquer ourselves(Self-control).||

May our hearts be free from all kinds of Prejudice.
May we always be ready for Forgiveness.
May we discard falsehood and follow the path of Truth.||

Whatever may be the difficulties in the path, may we continue to Work.
May we tread the path of Dharma(righteousness).
May we possess Self-confidence to fight evil.||​

- Sri Gulzar​

"Men are taught from childhood that they are weak and sinners. Teach them that they are all glorious children of immortality, even those who are the weakest in manifestation. Let positive, strong, helpful thoughts enter into their brains from very childhood."
- Swami Vivekananda​

OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Marugelaraa O Raaghavaa - - - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Rama, Why this screen(Veil of Maya) between You and me.||

Why this screen(marugu), O Lord dwelling in both Living and Non-Living!
O Supreme Lord, who is beyond everything(parAtpara);
O Lord, who has Sun and Moon (one who sheds blissful nectar(sudhAkara)) as eyes(lochana)||

O Lord! Having searched my inner recesses of the mind(antarangamuna);
I have perceived that, it is You alone,
who has become everything(Living/Non-Living) – The Consciousness/Atman in all beings;
I shall not even think of anyone other than You;
please redeem me, by removing this screen(veil of Maya).
O Lord praised by this Thyagaraja!

- Sri Thyagaraja(18th Century)

YouTube - Marugelara - Maharajapuram Santhanam - Carnatic Classical

"A man attains this state when his mind is one hundred percent absorbed in God. When Hanuman returned from Ceylon, Rama said to him: 'You have seen Sita. Tell me, how did you find her?' Hanuman said: 'O Rama, I saw that only the body of Sita lay there; it held neither her mind nor her soul. She has indeed consecrated her mind and soul to Your Lotus Feet. Therefore I saw only her body in Ceylon. Further, I saw the King of Death prowling about. But what could he do? It was only a body; it had neither mind nor soul.'"
"I admire the British perseverance and the American spirit of equality. I want you to make a European society, with India’s religion. But mark you, if you give up that Spirituality, leaving it aside to go after the materialising civilisation of the West, the result will be that in three generations you will be an extinct race; because the backbone of the nation will be broken, the foundation upon which the national edifice has been built will be undermined, and the result will be annihilation all round."
- Swami Vivekananda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePzneq-Wnk&feature=related​

------------------------------------------------------------
Marugelara O Raghavaa
||Marugelara O Raaghavaa||

Marugela charaachara roopa
Paraatpara Soorya
Sudhakara Lochana
||Marugelara O Raaghavaa||

Anni neevanuchu Antharangamuna
Thinnagaa vediki thelisi kontinayya...
Ninnegaani madinennajaalanorula
Nannu brovumayya Thyagarajanuta
||Marugelara O Raaghavaa||​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Om Jai Jagdish Hare - Written by Sri Shardha Ram Phillauri

O Lord of the Universe! O Lord Hari! Victory to Thee! All Glory to Thee!||

O Lord of the whole Universe
Thou banisheth
All Thy devotees' agonies and sorrows||

He who's immersed in your devotion,
reaps the fruits of Thy love;
Gets freed from all the worldly problems,
and has all the happiness, prosperity and health.||

Thou art Mother and Thou art Father,
At Thy feet I seek Eternal Truth,
At Thy feet alone do I hope;
You are the Supreme Soul, you are the indweller in all
Thou art Perfect, Eternal, Absolute
O Lord of all Creation||

Thou art of Supreme Perfection,
O Omnipresent being, the Master of all;
My destiny is in Thy Hands,
O Supreme Soul of all beings,
O Lord of the whole Universe||

Thou art an ocean of mercy,
Thou art the protector of all,
O Lord, I am ignorant, attached to the fruits of action,
I am Thy servant and Thou art the Master,
Grant me Thy divine grace,

Thou art beyond perception,
Formless and yet of multiform,
O Life in all beings;
Grant me a glimpse of Thyself,
Guide me along the path to Thee,

O Friend of the poor and feeble,
Benevolent Saviour of all;
Offer me Thy hand of compassion,
I seek refuge at Thy feet,

O Lord, Help me transcend all vanities and worldly desires,
Free me from all sins,
Bless me with single-pointed devotion and faith;
Let me be in Eternal service unto Thee

- Sri Shardha Ram Phillauri (19th Century)

"Listen. There is no scarcity of moths when the lamp is lighted. When God is realized, He Himself provides everything for His devotees. He sees that they do not lack anything. When God is enshrined in the heart, many people come forward to offer their services."

"Once a young sannyasi went to a householder to beg his food. He had lived as a monk from his very birth; he knew nothing of worldly matters. A young daughter of the householder came out to give him alms; He turned to her mother and said, 'Mother, has this girl abscesses on her chest?' The mother said: 'No, my child. God has given her breasts to nurse her child when she becomes a mother.' Thereupon the sannyasi said: 'Then why should I worry about myself? Why should I beg my food? He who has created me will certainly feed me."
- Sri Ramakrishna Pramahamsa

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Namo Namo Raghukula Nayaka - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

Salutations to Thee, O Gem of the Raghu dynasty; one who is praised by Devatas(demigods)
Salutations to the one, who is adored by Lord Shiva.||

Salutations to Thee, O Embodiment of Dharma(righteousness), the heroic son of King Dasaradha.
The destroyer of the demoness Tataki and other demons;
who obliterated the sin of Ahalya, protected Vishwamitra's Sacrifice||

Salutations to Thee, O Lord of Sita; who broke Lord Shiva's bow
who subdued the arrogance of Khara, Dooshana, Vali and others.
The Friend of Sugreeva - the King of Monkeys
who built the bridge across the sea accompanied by his brother Lakshmana.||

Salutations to Thee, O destroyer of mighty Ravana.
who offered asylum to virtuous Vibhishana
who lived in sakethapuri, unparalleled in virtues
O Raghava, dwelling on the holy Venkatachalam
O Lotus eyed one, Salutations to Thee||​

- Annamayya (15th Century)

"- - - Among wielders of weapons I am Rama- - -" - Bhagawad Gita

"If you meditate on an ideal you will acquire its nature. If you think of God day and night, you will acquire the nature of God. A salt doll went into the ocean to measure its depth. It became one with the ocean. What is the goal of books or scriptures? The attainment of God. A man opened a book belonging to a sadhu. He saw the word 'Rama' written on every page. There was nothing else.”

----------------------------------------------------
namO namO raghu kula nAyaka divija vandya
namO namO Sankara nagaja nuta ||

vihita dharma pAlaka veera daSaradha rAma
gagana vAsinee tATaka mardana
ahalya SApa mOchana asura kula bhanjana
sahaja viswAmitra savana rakshaka ||.

hara kOdanDa hara sitAnganA vallabha
khara dooshanAri vAli garvApaha
taraNi tanoojAdi taru chara pAlaka
Saradhi langhana kruta soumitri samEta ||

biruda rAvaNa SirO bhEdaka vibhishaNa
varada sAkEta pura vAsa rAghava
nirupama Sri venkaTa nilaya nija nagara
pura vihAra punDarikAksha ||​

OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Nanu brovamani - Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu Kirtana

||O Mother Sita, please request Rama to rescue me.||

Please request Him, O jewel among womenfolk.||

O Mother Janaki, daughter of Janaka; please request Rama to rescue me.||

Request your Lord, staying by His side and pressing his cheeks at the time of meeting Him in Love.||

Request Him, the inner consciousness of the Universe, when he is in privacy with you.||

O Virtuous Mother, convince Him when He awakes from sleep.

The One, worshipped by Mother Parvati(adrija).

The Lord of Bhadragiri (Bhadhrachalam).||

- Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu(17th century)

"A man said to Ravana, "You have been going to Sita in different disguises; why don't you go to her in the form of Rama?"

"But", Ravana replied "when I meditate on Rama in my heart, the most beautiful women-celestial maidens like Rambha and Tilottama-appear no better than ashes of the funeral pyre. Then even the position of Brahma appears trivial to me, not to speak of the beauty of another man's wife."

"O Mother(Kali), make me like Sita, completely forgetful of everything-body and limbs - , totally unconscious of hands, feet, and sense-organs - only the one thought in her mind,

"Where is Rama?""

– Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

"- - -And what to speak of Sita? You may exhaust the literature of the world that is past, and I may assure you that you will have to exhaust the literature of the world of the future, before finding another Sita. Sita is unique; that character was depicted once and for all. There may have been several Ramas, perhaps, but never more than one Sita! She is the very type of the true Indian woman, for all the Indian ideals of a perfected woman have grown out of that one life of Sita; and here she stands these thousands of years, commanding the worship of every man, woman, and child throughout the length and breadth of the land of Aryavarta. There she will always be, this glorious Sita, purer than purity itself, all patience, and all suffering. She who suffered that life of suffering without a murmur, she the ever-chaste and ever-pure wife, she the ideal of the people, the ideal of the gods, the great Sita, our national God she must always remain. All our mythology may vanish, even our Vedas may depart, and our Sanskrit language may vanish forever, but so long as there will be five Hindus living here, even if only speaking the most vulgar patois, there will be the story of Sita present. Mark my words: Sita has gone into the very vitals of our race. She is there in the blood of every Hindu man and woman; we are all children of Sita.”

- Swami Vivekananda
YouTube - Priya Sisters Nanu Brova MAni Cheppave
--------------------------------------------------------
nanu brovamani chappa vE seetamma talli
nanu brovamani chappa vE||

nanu brovamani chappu naree SiromaNi
janakuni kootura janani jAnakamma||

nanu brovamani naree SiromaNi
janakuni kootura janani jAnakamma||

prakkana cheri chekkili nokkuchu
chakkaga maru keli jokki yunDu vELa||

lokAnta rangudu Sree kAnta ninu gooDi
EkAnta muna Eka seyya nunna vELa||

adrija vinutuDu bhadra gireeSuDu
nidra mElkonu vELa nelataro bodhinchi||​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Pibare Ramarasam(drink the Divine nectar of Rama) - by Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra

O Mind, drink the nectar of divine name Rama.||

It dispels fear and grief from the cycle of birth and death.
It is the quintessence of all the Vedas and other Scriptures.||

It is the sacred song sung in the hermitages of the holy and enlightened Yogis.
Great Sages Suka, Saunaka and Kousika enjoyed that nectar.||

- Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra(18th Century)

I Pray for help to that Supreme Being, from Whom is this Universe born, from Whom all the beings come into being, grow and die||

I Pray for help to that Supreme Being, in Whom is this endless Universe, Who is the Mother of all (Living/Non-Living)||

I Pray for help to that Supreme Being, Who is the Supreme Cause, the one who doesn't have beginning, middle or end||

I Pray for help to that Supreme Being, Who himself has become everything (the Consciousness in all beings)||

to rescue me from this terrible clutches of Crocodile​
- Prayer by Gajendra (Elephant) - In (Pothana)Bhagavatam​

"Pray to God. He is full of compassion. Will He not listen to the words of His devotee? He is the Kalpataru. You will get whatever you desire from Him." - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

------------------------------------------------------
pibarE rAmarasam rasanE pibarE rAmarasam

janana maraNa bhaya shOka vidUram sakala shAstra nigamAgama sAram

shuddha paramahamsAshrama gItam shuka shaunaka kaushika mukha pItam
--------------------------------------------------------
Yavvaniche janinchu jagamevvani lopalanundu leenami,
Yavvaniyandudindu parameshwarudevadu,
moolakaranam bevvadu sarvam taninavadevvadu,
vani atmabhau eeshwarune sharanambu vededan||
- (Pothana) Bhagavatham

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Paluke Bangara mayena - Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu Kirtana

Why don't you respond, O Lord, Kodandapani (One with a bow in hand)||

O Lord, Why don't you talk to me||

Never even in a dream i forget thinking of your name

O my dear Father||

You showered your grace even on a small squirrel trying to help you in her humble way rolling in sand,

Why don't you talk to me dear, i have immense faith in you,

O my dear Father||

By mere touch, you obliterated the curse and transformed a stone into being,

O my dear Father, you are my sole refuge||

What am i before you, don't be adamant dear,

please respond to my prayers, shower your grace,

O my dear Father||

People call you "The Protector of Devotees"

Show Mercy, O Lord of Ramadasu.||

- Sri Bhadhrachala Ramadasu (17th Century)

“Little children play with dolls in the outer room just as they like, without any care of fear or restraint; but as soon as their mother comes in, they throw aside their dolls and run to her crying, "Mamma, mamma." You too, are now playing in this material world, infatuated with the dolls of wealth, honour, fame, etc., If however, you once see your Divine Mother, you will not afterwards find pleasure in all these. Throwing them all aside, you will run to her. So long as the child remains engrossed with its toys, the mother looks after her cooking and other household duties. But when the child no longer relishes the toys, it throws them aside and yells for its mother.Then the mother takes the rice-pot down from the hearth, runs in haste, and takes the child in her arms.”

– Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

"I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am also a friend to him. He quickly becomes righteous and attains lasting peace. O son of Kunti, declare it boldly that My devotee never perishes."

- Bhagawad Gita​
-------------------------------------------
palukE bangAra mAyanA kOdanDa pANi ||
palukE bangAra mAye pilachina paluka vEmi||
kalalO nee nAma smaraNa marava chakkani tanDri ||

iruvuga isukalOna boralina uDuta bhaktiki
karuNinchi brOchiti vani nera nammiti ninnE tanDri ||

rAti nAtiga jEsi bhootala muna pra
khyAti chenditi vani preetitO nammiti tanDri ||

yenta vEDina gAni suntaina daya rAdu
pantambu sEya nE nentaTi vADanu tanDri ||

SaraNAgata trANa birudAnkituDavu gAda
karuNinchi bhadrAchala vara rAma dAsa pOshaka ||​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Bramhakadigina Padamu - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

Here is the foot worshipped by Bramha.

That foot which symbolises Brahman (Supreme consciousness). ||

The foot that scaled the entire earth.

It is the foot that was placed on Bali's head.

The foot which measured the whole universe and rescued virtuous. ||

The foot that obliterated the sin of Ahalya.

The foot that danced on the hood of Kaliya snake.

The foot that is comforted by Mother Lakshmi with Love. ||

The foot that granted boons to the great yogis in many ways.

The foot that is resting on Tiru Venkatagiri - Seshachala.

The Supreme abode||

- Sri Annamacharya(15th Century)

"It is necessary to pray to Him with a longing heart. The kitten knows only how to call its mother, crying, 'Mew, mew!' It remains satisfied wherever its mother puts it. And the mother cat puts the kitten sometimes in the kitchen, sometimes on the floor, and sometimes on the bed. When it suffers it cries only, 'Mew, mew!' That's all it knows. But as soon as the mother hears this cry, wherever she may be; she comes to the kitten. Longing is like the rosy dawn. After the dawn out comes the sun. Longing is followed by the vision of God.”

OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Bhaja Govindam - Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya

bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM
govindaM bhaja muDhamate.
saMpraapte sannihite kaale
nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe .. (1)

Worship Govinda, Worship Govinda, Worship Govinda!
Oh fool! Rules of Grammar will not save you at the time of your death.

mUDha jahiihi dhanaagamatRishhNaaM
kuru sadbuddhiM manasi vitRishhNaam.
yallabhase nijakarmopaattaM
vittaM tena vinodaya chittam. .. (2)

Oh fool! Give up your thirst to amass wealth, devote your mind to thoughts to the Real. Be content with what comes through actions already performed in the past.

naariistanabhara naabhiideshaM
dRishhTvaa maagaamohaavesham.
etanmaaMsaavasaadi vikaaraM
manasi vichintaya vaaraM vaaram. .. (3)

Do not get drowned in delusion by going wild with passions and lust by seeing a woman's navel and chest. These are nothing but a modification of flesh. Do not fail to remember this again and again in your mind.

naliniidalagata jalamatitaralaM
tadvajjiivitamatishayachapalam.
viddhi vyaadhyabhimaanagrastaM
lokaM shokahataM cha samastam .. ( 4 )

The life of a man is as uncertain as rain drops trembling on a lotus leaf. Know that the whole world remains a prey to disease, ego and grief.

yaavadvittopaarjana sakta H
staavannija parivaaro rakta H.
pashchaajjiivati jarjara dehe
vaartaaM ko.api na pRichchhati gehe .. ( 5 )

So long as a man is fit and able to support his family, see the affection all those around him show. But no one at home cares to even have a word with him when his body totters due to old age.

yaavatpavano nivasati dehe
taavatpRichchhati kushalaM gehe.
gatavati vaayau dehaapaaye
bhaaryaa bibhyati tasminkaaye .. ( 6 )

When one is alive, his family members enquire kindly about his welfare. But when the soul departs from the body, even his wife runs away in fear of the corpse.

baalastaavatkriiDaasakta H
taruNastaavattaruNiisakta H.
vRiddhastaavachchintaasakta H
pare brahmaNi ko.api na sakta H .. ( 7 )

The childhood is lost by attachment to playfulness. Youth is lost by attachment to woman. Old age passes away by thinking over many past things. But there is hardly anyone who wants to be lost in parabrahman(Supreme being).

kaate kaantaa kaste putra H
saMsaaro.ayamatiiva vichitra H.
kasya tvaM ka H kuta aayaata H
tattvaM chintaya tadiha bhraata H ..( 8 )

Who is your wife? Who is your son? Strange is this samsara. Of whom are you? From where have you come? Brother, ponder over these truths here.

satsaNgatve nissNgatvaM
nissaNgatve nirmohatvam.h.
nirmohatve nishchalatattvaM
nishcalatattve jiivanmukti H ....( 9 )

From Satsangha(the holy companionship of Realised souls) comes non-attachment, from non-attachment comes freedom from delusion, which leads to self-settledness. From self-settledness comes Jeevan Mukti.

vayasigate ka H kaamavikaaraH
shushhke niire ka H kaasaaraH.
kshiiNevitte ka H parivaara H
G Y aate tattve ka H saMsaara H ...(1 0 )

What good is lust when youth has fled? What use is a lake which has no water? Where are the relatives when wealth is gone? Where is samsara when the Truth is known?

maa kuru dhana jana yauvana garvaM
harati nimeshhaatkaala H sarvam.h.
maayaamayamidamakhilaM hitvaa
brahmapadaM tvaM pravisha viditvaa .. (1 1)

Do not boast of wealth, friends/followers, and youth. Each one of these is destroyed within a minute. Free yourself from the illusion of the world of Maya and attain the timeless Truth.

dinayaaminyau saayaM praata H
shishiravasantau punaraayaata H.
kaala H kriiDati gachchhatyaayu H
tadapi na muJNcatyaashaavaayu H .. (1 2)

Daylight and darkness, dusk and dawn, winter and springtime come and go. Time plays and life ebbs away. But the storm of desire never leaves.

dvaadashamaJNjarikaabhirasheshha H
kathito vaiyaakaraNasyaishha H.
upadesho bhuudvidyaanipuNai H
shrimachchhankarabhagavachchharaNari H .. ( 12a )

This bouquet of twelve verses was imparted to a grammarian by Sri Adi Shankaracharya adored as Bhagawadpada.​

What am I?

“I am the Lord of lords. I am devoid of even a touch of jealousy and hatred. I am He that fulfils the desired object for those who are bent on realizing the goal. I am undecaying, I am imperishable. I am the Lord, I am the consciousness of the inner self, I am full of supreme bliss, I am the supreme self, I am the infinite. I am full of Bliss, Knowledge and the realization of the Self. I am far aloof from any thought of the objective. I am delighted at heart by that which is not objective.

I pervade up and down and around with my own extraordinary glories. I am He who appears to be determined by means of argument, counter argument and enquiry. I am free from changes such as birth, thinness, senility and death; for I am other than the body. I am unattached to the objects of the senses, such as sound and taste; for I am without sense-organs.

I am free from sorrow; attachment, malice and fear; for I am other than the mind. For it is written in the Upanishad, “He is without breath and without mind, pure, higher than the high and imperishable.” I am verily the Supreme Brahman (consciousness) which is eternal, stainless, and free; which is one, indivisible, and non-dual; and which is of the nature of Bliss, Truth, Knowledge and Infinity.

I am without attributes and action, eternal and pure, free from stain and desire, changeless and formless, and always free. I am the revealer of oneness. I alone am the supreme reality for minds, purified by a thorough understanding of the (Vedantic) formula. I am the sun that dispels ignorance like the darkness of the night.

I am the healing balm to evils. I am devoid of all conditional properties. I am the acme of liberality. I am He that rescues all by granting the fourfold desires (merits, riches, pleasures and liberation) in various ways.

I am Knowledge. I am the Known. I am the Knower. I am all the aids to Knowledge. I am the pure Soul – existence bereft of Knower, Knowledge and Known. I am devotion, I am worship, and I am liberation. I alone am the means to liberation. I am the ruler of all beings. I am the root cause of all that is past, present and future.

I am neither the mind, intelligence, ego nor the chitta(seat of memory); neither the ears nor the tongue nor the senses of smell and sight; neither ether nor air, nor fire, nor water nor earth – I am eternal bliss and awareness – I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

I am neither the prana (vital force), nor the five vital breaths, neither the seven elements of the body, nor its five sheaths, nor hands, nor feet, nor tongue, nor other organs of action. I am eternal, bliss and awareness – I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

Neither greed nor delusion, nor loathing, nor liking have I; nothing of pride or ego, neither of dharma or object, nor of desire or liberation. I am eternal, bliss and awareness – I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

Nothing of pleasure or pain or virtue or vice do I know, of mantra or sacred place, of Vedas or sacrifice; neither am I the eater, nor the food nor the act of eating; I am eternal, bliss and awareness, - I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

Death or fear have I none nor any distinction of caste; neither father nor mother; nor even a birth have I; neither friend nor comrade, neither disciple nor Guru. I am eternal, bliss and awareness, - I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

I have no form or fancy, the all-pervading am I; everywhere I exist, and yet am beyond the senses; neither salvation am I, nor anything to be known. I am eternal, bliss and awareness, - I am Shiva! I am Shiva!"

- Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya​

“Let positive, strong, helpful thoughts enter into their brains from very childhood. Lay yourselves open to these thoughts, and not to weakening and paralyzing ones. Say to your own minds, “I am He. I am He.” Let it ring day and night in your minds like a song, and at the point of death declare, “I am He.” That is the Truth; the infinite Strength of the world is yours. Drive out the superstition that has covered your minds. Let us be brave. Know the Truth and practice the Truth. The goal may be distant, but

‘Arise, Awake, and stop not till the goal is reached.’“​

– Swami Vivekananda​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Narayanathe Namo Namo - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

Salutations to Thee! O Lord Narayana
One worshipped by Sage Narada||

O Slayer of demons/wicked,
O Eternal Spirit pervading the Universe,
O Mukunda! O Madhava! Salutations to Thee!
One who has Garuda(Bird) as his Vehicle, lotus originating from Navel
O Supreme being! the destroyer of all worldly attachment
Who took the form of Man-Animal(Narsimha), Salutations to Thee! ||

One resting on the ocean of milk,
with the sun and moon as two eyes,
whose lotus (jala ruha) feet is worshipped by Brahma,
O subduer of Bali, O Lord of Gopikas
The Saviour of Elephant (Gajendra)
Salutations to Thee!||

O Primordial Being! All the scriptures are in praise of You.
O Lord with mesmerising form, born in Yadava community
O Protector of Vedas, Sri Venkateshwara
who loves music, Salutations to Thee!||​

- Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya (15th Century)

“My dear Father, the source of my strength, of which you are asking, is also the source of yours. Indeed, the original source of all kinds of strength is one. He is not only your strength or mine, but the only strength for everyone. Without Him, no one can get any strength. Whether moving or not moving, superior or inferior, everyone, including Lord Brahma, is controlled by the strength of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is the supreme controller and time factor, is the power of the senses, the power of the mind, the power of the body, and the vital force of the senses. His influence is unlimited. He is the best of all living entities, the controller of the three modes of material nature. By His own power, He creates this cosmic manifestation, maintains it and annihilates it also.”

– Bhaktha Prahalada in Bhagavatam

"- - - there is no being, moving or stationary, which can exist without Me.- - -" - Bhagawad Gita

P.S: Out of 32,000 songs composed by Annamayya on Lord Venkateshwara, only 12,500 are available to this day.
----------------------------------------------
narAyaNatE namO namO
nArada sannuta namO namO||

murahara narahara mukunda mAdhava
garuDa gamana pankajanAbha
parama purusha bhava bandha vimOchana
nara mruga Sareera namO namO||

jaladhi Sayana ravi chandra vilOchana
jala ruha bhava nuta charaNa yuga
bali bandhana gOpa vadhoo vallabha
nalinO daratE namO namO||

Adi dEva sakalAgama poojita
yAdava kula mOhana roopa
vEDOddhara Sree vEnkata nAyaka
nAda priya tE namO namO||​

Last edited:
OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Maha Ganapathim - by Sri Muttuswami Dikshitar

Oh Mind! Meditate on the glory of Sri Maha Ganapathi(Ganesha - Leader of Ganas), who is extolled by Sages Vashishta, Vamadeva and their ilk.||

The son of Lord Shiva(The Supreme being/Inner Consciousness of the Universe); His younger brother Guruguha (Kartikeya or Murugan) always praises His brother, who shines with the brilliance of crores of Cupids.||

The epitome of peace(Shantam), who takes a strong liking (priyam) to great literature (maha kaavya) and drama (nataka); The one, who has mouse as his vehicle and modaka(special weapon) in his hands||

- Sri Muttuswami Dikshitar (18th Century)

YouTube - Maha Ganapathim
---------------------------------------------------------
mahaa gaNapatim manasaa smaraami |
mahaa gaNapatim
vasishTa vaama dEvAdi vandita ||

mahaa dEva sutam guruguha nutam |
maara kOTi prakaasham shaantam ||
mahaa kaavya naaTakaadi priyam
mooshika vaahanaa mOdhaka priyam ||​

OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Endaro Mahanubhavulu - by Saint Thyagaraja

||Salutations to all those Great people! ||

Those people feel the moon like beautiful form of God in their hearts and are always immersed in Brahmananda (Divine Ecstasy). ||Salutations||

Those who worship the Lord, who is fond of Samagana. ||Salutations||

They control their mind and worship you(Lord), who is the most beautiful. ||Salutations||

They submit their hearts at your feet. ||Salutations||

O Protector of beings, they sing your glories with true devotion using the knowledge of swara, laya & raga. ||Salutations||

They wear garlands made of gems that represent the devotees of Hari
and
with mercy they see the whole world with love & affection. ||Salutations||

They are ecstatic to see the beautiful gait of the God everyday and are always immersed in bliss.
They praise your Form, Name, Valour, Tranquility, Truthfulness. ||Salutations||

You destroy all bad thoughts by planting the seed of Bhakthi in their heart.
Sages like Sanaka Sanadhanas; Kimpurushas, Prahalada, Narada, Tumburu, Anjaneya, Suka, Brahma, - - enjoy the Brahmanandha Swaroopa of God always. ||Salutations||

Apart from them there are others and salutations to them also.
Those who understood the essence of Bhagavatham, Ramayana, Gita, Sruti, Shasthra, various religious thoughts, the wisdom of countless Devas, bhava, raga, tala have a happy long life and are beloved by Thyagaraja. ||Salutations||

They think of your name always with Love, Thyagaraja - devotee of Sri Ramachandra,
Salutes to all those Great people.

- Sri Thyagaraja (18th Century)

YouTube - Endaro Mahanubhavulu

"Why do I ask you to think of God and chant His name in solitude? Living in the world day and night, one suffers from worries. Haven't you noticed brother killing brother for a foot of land? The Sikhs said to me, 'The cause of all worry and confusion is these three: land, lust, and money.'”

OP
OP
StudentofVihe

StudentofVihe

Bhali Bhali Bhali Bhali Deva - Composed by Sri Pingali Nagendra Rao (for Mayabazar)

Ah! O Lord! Your divine play (using your inscrutable power - Maya) is awesome/mesmerizing/wonderful/marvelous.||

In this play, one appears to be suffering, the other seems to be enjoying;
O Omniscient being, for you all this is a mere Entertainment.
Even Diti(Goddess of Earth) doesn’t know who wins your grace. ||

This world of yours, which is a mixture of happiness and suffering, going on endlessly (cycle of births and deaths) is your divine play. They are indeed blessed, who know the Truth behind this drama (You are the only Real/Eternal/Immutable/Imperishable one) by comprehending your divine acts.||​

- Sri Pingali Nagendra Rao

"Neither the gods nor the great sages know My birth; - - - I am the source of all; everything is produced out of Me, knowing thus the wise worship Me with devotion. Though I am birthless, immutable and the Lord of creatures, yet resorting to My Prakriti, I come into being through My own inscrutable power (Maya)." – Bhagawad Gita

P.S: May Lord Krishna bless all of us with intellect to discriminate what is right and what is wrong. May we tactfully/wisely/successfully play this drama of Life and finally merge in our Universal Mother (Sacchidananda – The Eternal Biss).

Last edited:

saarangam

Dear sir
brOchEvArevarurA (raga kamAs) , the translation of which you have given is not a thyAgaraja kR^thi. Its composer is mysore vAsudEvAchAr.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks