• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Do you really need to celebrate and wish for a new year on Jan 1 2019????

I am Muthu Aiyer, an Iyer by birth. I am unable to roam around in the street with Panchakachcham and Kudumi. In fact, in my childhood I had grown Kudumi in my village. In the young age when I came to city for livelihood I could not continue and even my office did not encourage me to continue it because it was a foreighner's company. Even otherwise, these days I hear here and there that Brahmins going with Panchakachcham and Poonal were tortured by some other caste people on the street. Under this circumstances we greet each other HAPPY NEW YEAR on 1st January every year and celebrate Varsha Pirappu or Vishu in the middle of April every year within our family level.

If Jan 1 has Christian influence, then it needs questioning by other faiths in terms of celebration.

Muslims aren’t showing much interest.

Hindus embrace each and every thing.

English New Year also generates income in Temples in the form of Laksharchanais.

இந்த குழுமத்தின் பெயர் "தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள்". இதில் எத்தனைபேர் தமிழில் எழுதுகிறார்கள்? அதுக்கு "இதில் எப்படி தமிழில் எழுதுவது? என்று தெரியாது. அது தெரியாதுன்னா, ஆங்கிலத்தில்தானே எழுத முடியும்" என்று நமக்கு விளங்க வைப்பதுபோல் பேசுவார்கள். நான் கிராமத்தில் வளர்ந்து எஸ்.எஸ்.எல்.சி படித்து முடித்தவுடன் நகரத்துக்கு ஓடிவந்தவன். நகர நாகரீகம், நகர நடப்பு என்பது தனி என்று எல்லோருக்கும் தெரியும். இங்கு பெரும்பாலும் ஆங்கிலத்தில் உரையாட இயலவில்லை என்றால் அவருக்கு மதிப்பு குறைவுதான். வேட்டி கட்டிக்கொண்டு திரிந்தாலும் மதிப்பு குறைவுதான். அதுவும் கையில் காசும் இல்லை என்றால் "கோவிந்தா, கோவிந்தா". நகரத்தில் வாழ்க்கையே நரகம்தான் அவருக்கு. அந்த சூழ்நிலையில், குறிப்பாக தில்லியில் இருக்கும் தமிழர்கள் பலரைப் பார்த்ததுண்டு. அவர்களுக்கு தீபாவளிப் பண்டிகை என்றால் இரண்டு கொண்டாட்டம். விடியல்காலை கங்கா ஸ்நானம். வெடி, பலகாரம். அன்று மாலை வடநாட்டைச் சேர்ந்தவர்கள் பெரும்பாலும் லக்ஷ்மி பூஜை மாலை 7 மணிக்குச் செய்துவிட்டு பிறகு வெடி நள்ளிரவு வரை. அதற்குப் போட்டியா நாமும் statusல் குறைந்தவர்களில்லை என்பதுபோல் நாமும் அவர்களுடன் சேர்ந்து வெடிப்போம். அதுபோல, "ஹோலிப் பண்டிகை" என்று ஒன்று கொண்டாடுவார்கள் மார்ச்-ஏப்ரலில். அதுக்கும், தமிழ்க்காராளுக்கும் சம்பந்தம் இல்லைனாலும் நாமும் சேர்ந்து கொண்டாடும் ஒரு நிர்ப்பந்தம். இல்லையென்றால் அவர்களே நம்மிடம் வந்து வலுவுக்கு இழுப்பார்கள். ஆனால், நாம் கார்த்திகை என்று வீடுபூராவும் விளக்கேத்திக் கொண்டாடுவதை வடநாட்டுக் காரர்கள் பார்த்து ரசிப்பார்களேயன்றி, அவாவீடுகளிலும் நம்மைப்போல் விளக்கேற்றிக் கொண்டாட வரமாட்டார்கள். அதுபோல், ஆங்கிலேயர் ஆதியில் நம் நாட்டை ஆண்டார்கள். அவர்களுக்கு ஜனவரி 1 புது வருஷம். அவர்கள் கொண்டாடினார்கள். அதையே நம்மில் பலர் இன்றுவரைப் பின்பற்றி வருகிறோம். "ஏன் இது அவா பண்டிகைன்னு தெரியும்போது, இன்றுவரை அதை நாமும் ஏன் கொண்டாடணும்?" என்று கேள்விகேட்களாம். ஆனால், எப்படியோ அது நடந்துகொண்டுதானிருக்கும். மேலும். ஆங்கிலேயர்கள் ஞாயிற்றுக் கிழமைகளில் அவர்களது மாதா கோயிலுக்கு(church) போவது வழக்கம். ஆகையால் வார விடுமுறையை ஞாயிறு என்று அமைத்துக் கொண்டனர். ஆனால் அந்த Sunday Weekly Off தானே இன்று வரை நாமும் கடைபிடித்து வருகிறோம். ஆங்கிலத் தேதியைத்தான் இன்றுவரைப் பின்பற்றி வருகிறோம். அப்படி இருக்கும்போது ஜனவரி 1 மட்டும் நாம் ஏன் புதுவருடப் பிறப்பாய்க் கொண்டாட வேண்டும்? என்று ஒரு கேள்விமட்டும் கேட்க இயலுமா? எல்லோரும், எல்லாவற்றையும் உணர்ந்து நடந்தால்தான் இதுக்கெல்லாம் விடிவுகாலம் பிறக்கும்!!!!!!!

If you cannot celebrate it as a Christian practice, you can still celebrate it as a day in honor of the solar God "sol invictus'.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_Romana/calendar/invictus.html

Afterall, we Brahmins should have no issues in honoring the Sun God :)

Of course, we do have our Ratha Sapthami....but still...
If we celebrate the 1st January every year in honour of Sun God it will amount to only as if we celebrate the New Year on that particular day (பனை மரத்தின் கீழ் நின்று பாலைக் குடித்தாலும் மக்கள் அதைக் 'கள்' என்றுதான் நினப்பார்கள்). We have immediately following Makara Shankaranthi Day celebration, as well Ratha Sapthami day in honor of our SUN GOD exclusively.

I sincerely thank the Tamil Brahmin Admin. for choosing me to award me with a Trophy on the occasion of First Anniversary. It has been made possible for me to get it only with the support of our readers and supporters of this group. I wish to be in company of you all for years ahead. With gratitude......Muthu Aiyer

The 1st of January is neither Christian nor English. There is absolutely nothing christian about this day nor english about this day.

the 1st of january is the first day in what is called the gregorian calendar. the gregorian calendar is strictly of the romans, by the romans. it did not have the current shape or form since time immemorial. there is a long history behind this calendar which has its origin in what was called 'Julian Calendar'. ever since its origin it has been subjected to numerous amendments and has eventually taken its current structure with last change made being adding 1 day in february every fourth year, which was approved by pope gregory the then pope of rc church from whence it has been populary referred to as gregorian calendar. initially there were only 10 months beginning march. the seventh month was named september after 'septem', the word for the number 7 in latin, which was language in rome then. likewise october after 'octum' for 8, november after 'novum', latin for 9, december after 'decem', latin for 10 (from which decimal system gets its name). when it was discovered that earth takes not 300 but 365 days to complete its revolution around sun, 2 months were inserted in beginning and some months were extended by 1 day making them 31 days. the first month named january after the roman goddess 'janus' who is always worshipped first when performing a ritual, like how pillayar is worshipped by hindus before worshipping any other deity. these are all things taught in english prose class during the seventies. whoever studied school during seventies in tamil nadu matriculation schools could recollect.

england did not have a calendar of its own. after julius ceasar invaded england, the roman catholic church started planting their churches in england. until then the english people do not seem to have had any religious belief. since roman catholic church had its origin in rome, they observed the gregorian calendar. they imposed it on england. the english brought this calendar to india when they imperialized india. hence in india it is being inappropriately referred to as christian calendar or english calendar etc.

since the british ruled almost the whole world once, for the sake of convenience of referring to dates, this gregorian calendar is being used by nations all over the world, after their respective independence.

otherwise there is absolutely nothing new on 1st jan or about this gregorian calendar. this is just another calendar like the thousands of other calendars in the world and 1-jan passes of as just another day like the other days. absolutely no new astronomical event happens on that day to signify that day as beginning of a new year.

celebrating 1-jan as new year is only a sentiment. it is only a relative new year day and there is absolutely nothing absolute about this new year day.

if you are in tamil nadu, celebrating the 1st day of the month of chithirai as new year is most appropriate.

if you in karnataka or andhra, celebrating ugadhi as new year is most appropriate.

our tamilian mind has been so conquered by western mindset that tamilians' mind is conditioned to say 'tamil new year falls on april 14th or 15th' instead of saying 'gregorian new year falls on margazhi 13th or 14th'.

ஊரோடு ஒத்து வாழ்.

யத்ர யாத்ருச ஆசார: தத்ர வர்தேத தாத்ருசம்
(எங்கு என்ன ஆசாரமோ அங்கு அதைப் பின்பற்று)

எவ்வது உறைவது உலகம் உலகத்தோடு அவ்வது உறைவது அறிவு ( குரள் - 426).
(உலகம் எவ்வாறு நடைபெறுகின்றதோ, உலகத்தோடு பொருந்திய வகையில் தானும் அவ்வாறு நடப்பதே அறிவாகும்)

ஒப்புற வொழுகு
(ஆத்திசூடி)

"உலகத்தோடு பொருந்த நடந்துகொள்".

இவ்வாறு பல பெரியோர்கள் அருளிய பழமொழிகளை நாம் படித்திருக்கிறோம். அவற்றின் படி எல்லா நிகழ்வுகளையும் கொண்டாடுவதே அறிவுடைமையாகும்.

பிரஹ்மண்யன்
பெங்களூர்.

then why sir christians and muslims in india do not celebrate diwali, pongal, holi etc which are not religious but social celebrations !!!!!!

Some related thought: this is not a matter of faith but more of convenience of transaction. If we are to stretch this, one could say we should not speak or write in English since it is from a different culture / faith. So called Hinduism which is sanatan Dharma is all inclusive and does not fear or detest anything - it actually says everything that we can perceive in the outer world is the reflection or manifestation of the paramporul (பரம்பொருள்), the supreme being. Instead of shunning, let us think of things we as individuals need to practice to uphold Dharma.

sir, do you mean to say we can also celebrate christmas, bakrid, ramzan, budha purnima etc?

Latest ads

Back