• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Discrimination - can it be stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not hesitate to call SV as a misobrahman if he has spelt out anti-brahmin comments at every available opportunity as Smt. HH seems to be doing here. But, for that single comment viz., Well then, the Brahmin must suck out his own poison, I don't think it will be fair to judge him as a person pre-disposed towards blaming brahmins whenever a chance came for him to speak.
Sir, such ad hominem comments from you are a surprise. Am surprised that you are labelled as a brabas (brahmin basher) yourself (by some forum folks here), yet you comment like this. If you think my content was wrong, please provide counter info. No baseless attacks please.

Whenever i read stuff about tamil nationalism, i used to think how crazy these DK people and their mindless brahmin bashing is. But when i came to this forum, i realised people here are no better. Except a few sane voices, the majority was doing mindless bashing of DK.

The tendency, even now among most of the posters here, is never to introspect brahmin roles in perpetuating casteism, instead they would like to keep blaming NBs (suchindranath aiyer's comments on ryan lobo's blog was no different). Should i conclude, in a similar fashion as you, that TBs spell out anti-NB comments at every available opportunity ?

I feel the need in this forum is criticism of racism as much as criticism of casteism, even if it will be used by the Brahminists in this forum to justify their own casteism. The need in this forum is relentless criticism of Brahminism/casteism as well as racism and any other type of discrimination, by whatever name called.
Reg point in bold, am not surprised. Was expecting it to come.

Last edited:
...I do not know how widely prevalent racism in the US is, in this day and time..
Happy, one of the most ironical aspects of all this discussion is it is the Indian immigrants to the U.S. who are probably among the worst racists. They are very much like the ignorant Indian cricket fans who mocked Andrew Symonds in a racially obnoxious way. To them they are more American than the blacks themselves. It is not wise to quickly jump to broad conclusions based just on hearsay and unreliable anecdotal evidence.

Cheers!

To me: as a tambram, this is so embarrassing. No matter what, even those of us, who object to such practises, get painted ‘brahmin’, and by default are believed to be encouraging such uncouth actions.
K sir,

This made-snana ritual was created around 500 years back. Apparently it came into existence with the belief that Samba, the son of God Krishna, was cured of Leprosy by performing this ritual. I wonder why would Samba, the son of Krishna roll over brahmin leftovers, and that too just 500 years back.

Most people who take part in this ritual are the Malekudiya community. They are still fighting for their right to continue this ritual. There have been some arrests and some bails. Suprisingly they are literate and some are even professionals. I suppose education only helps make a living, while the hold of religious power in the psyche remains deep.

I have only one question to ask -- 500 years back, why did not brahmins simply throw their leftover leaves in a 'dustbin' or elsewhere?

I agree with the statement of the KKSV president - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...dinance-demands-KKSV/articleshow/10959913.cms

Last edited:
In this high decibel exchange, the original vicious accusation of dalits made to roll on the echil plantain leaves of brahmins has been quietly buried. This is the case with all purported claims of brahmin atrocities against dalits.

Not that I support any specific believe but only when it comes to any Hindu based belief everyone jumps in, I am sure no one dare protest againts any Non Hindu belief or superstition because the answer you will get from them is "stay out!! this is our belief".

That way even among Hindus who practice animal slaughter at certain temples can this be banned?
Definitely not!! That time the excuse will be its their lifestyle,belief etc and conveniently detach religion from their cultural practice.

So why can't religion be disconnected from this whole ritual of Made Snana and let it be a cultural practice?
If animals can be slaughtered in the name of religion still, I do not see anything wrong doing anything else which is not life threatening.

The problem is every Hindu based problem becomes a caste problem.
I am 100% sure no one is really sincere for betterment of society.

Last edited:
I find from the photo that the person beating the man who had objected to this practice of rolling over used plantain leaves with left over food is not a B (repeat not a B),but some other caste man.
Dear BK sir, with due respects, this comment reveals the fundamental problem with jAti/varna system. When it comes to acts like rolling over the ecchil leftover of Brahmins, whether motivated by stupid beliefs that this can somehow cure cancer, or can be worthwhile act to be offered as venduthal to ishta devata, the involuntary reaction of the somewhat secular Bs here is to distance themselves from such stupidity, it is not us Bs, it is some NB who is getting beaten up, Bs are not responsible. This proves the uncomfortable truth that the caste system is about caste solidarity, not community solidarity.

The central fact of this silly practice is it is the Brahmin ecchil leftovers that people are rolling over. Whichever way you slice it, it is Brahmins who are encouraging this obnoxious behavior. How come the Brahmins feel no shame for this stupidity? How come there is an attempt to deflect any criticism?

I find some members take every opportunity to attack/criticize only Brahmins.It is high time they take a non-partisan view and see things objectively without bringing caste prejudices.
You answer you own question by citing one Brahmin saying he is more madi than you are. If this guy acts this way to a fellow Brahmin, just imagine how he will behave towards a Dalit.

Sir, if you go back and take a census of the threads started in this forum I am confident you will find the threads started in praise of Brahminhood and how great Brahmins are, outnumber the threads started to criticize or attack Brahmins if any. I may be wrong, but my guess is not a single thread was started to do that against Brahmins. Whatever posts made against Brahminism/varna/caste are almost always in response to silly and outrageous claims, never on unprovoked whim. If I am wrong about this I am ready to be corrected with proper evidence.

Dear BK sir, you are a fair person, all I ask is to be judged by the validity of what I say. If you think I am wrong I would like to hear from you so I can correct myself. But, simply saying I attack/criticize every opportunity I get does not help me figure out what is it that I am wrong about. Such blanket criticism gives an excuse for others to criticize me and those who share my views.

best regards ...

I am reproducing this for your interest. Provided without comments.
Brahmins in Rajasthan have nothing, no jobs, no land and no means of survival - poor brahmin,poor brahmin girls,week brahmins
n old, wrinkled man, wearing a bright yellow turban set the tempo for Sunday afternoon's Brahmin reservation rally in Alwar. Pulled out from a crowd of around 30,000, the turbaned man blew into his conch and announced the arrival of the militant Brahmin.
At the third reservation rally of 2003, the demand for 15 per cent reservation for the 60 lakh-odd Brahmins in Rajasthan grew louder. Sage Parshuram's axe was picked up and waved in the air as the Brahmins threatened bloodshed if they didn't get their rights.

Rajesh Kumari spent Sunday afternoon basking in the sun in Alwar's Company Bagh grounds, listening to all the fiery speeches. �Everyone is talking about it (reservation) and I was curious,� she said, adding that the entire afternoon was an eye-opener. �I had no clue we Brahmins were being discriminated against so much,� she said.

Precisely why the 30-odd speakers raved and ranted about Parshuram and Chanakya, highlighted the unfair treatment meted out against Brahmins in Kalyug and threatened mayhem if they didn't get reservation.

�Brahmins in Rajasthan have nothing, no jobs, no land and no means of survival. Brahmin boys and girls and unemployed. We are NOT doing well economically and demand 15 per cent reservation on that basis,� said Shyam Sundar Vashisht, one of the men leading the reservation rallies in the state.

Former state deputy chief minister Hari Shankar Bhawra added: �It is odd that our children don't get jobs even after scoring over 90 per cent. We are not demanding this for just ourselves but for all those who are economically weak.�

Vashisht and Bhawra were the moderate voices of the afternoon. BJP MLA Rohitas Sharma made a more fiery speech. �Our temples have bestir taken over by mafia. We used to impart education but now there are others doing that. It is time to organize ourselves as a vote bank and get our dues, �he said.

Sharing the platform were both BJP and Congress leaders, for once speaking in the same voice. After all it is an election year. �Everyone realises that if we go the whole hog this year we have a chance,� said president of the Rajasthan Brahmin Mahasabha Bhanwra Lal Sharma. �We are sure we will get it, this being an election year, �he added.

Student leader Parvender Sharma roared: �There are 200 MLAs in the Assembly and they will be made to realise that the Brahmin vote matters. All those against our demands will lose.� The catchline at the end of the rally was �be like the Jats and take reservation with brute force�.

In this high decibel exchange, the original vicious accusation of dalits made to roll on the echil plantain leaves of brahmins has been quietly buried. This is the case with all purported claims of brahmin atrocities against dalits.

Shri sarang,

you are right partly. it seems that this ritual had been phased out and has made a reappearance thanks to one Karnataka minister by name S.V. Acharya. I do not know if he is a brahmin or the particular dalit community which believes in the magical effect/s of this ritual. Once we get this we will know who is the villain.

Just now I saw this in the web. From this it looks a little complicated. I hope this practice gets banned from next year.

Times of India

Restriction on 'made snana' still on: Deputy commissioner

Stanley Pinto, TNN Nov 29, 2011, 01.09PM IST
Tags:

Kukke Subrahmanya (Dakshina Kannada District): Dakshina Kannada district administration still believes that its diktat on banning the `Made Made Snana; is valid for the next two days.
Deputy Commissioner Channappa Gowda told TOI: We still have restrictions on performing the ritual. But if there is public pressure, we have to bow to it.

pixel.gif

What turned the tables on the district administration's decree was resistance from devotees, followed by Malekudiyas refusal to decorate the temple chariot - which finally culminated in Mujrai minister VS Acharya asking the temple administrator Sundar Bhat to maintain `status quo'.

From morning, people who had arrived from various parts of the country had thronged the administrator's office resisting the ban. ``We have come from Mumbai. If we had known about this we would not have come. We want to do it,'' said Suresh V from Mumbai. Sources said the administrator got nearly 400 requests from devotees that they be allowed to perform it as they had come a long way to perform the ritual and fulfill the vow. ``We have taken the vow and we have to fulfill it. We fear God's wrath,'' Sumathi from Bangalore said.

Meanwhile, Malekudiyas who decorate the temple chariot for the annual fest with bamboo sticks and Nagara betta (cane), refused to decorate the chariot saying that `made snana' ritual was pre-cursor to the `shasthi.' This put the temple administration in a dilemma as `Shasthi' culminates with the pulling of the chariot with canes (elsewhere done with ropes) and the cane is later distributed as 'prasadam'.

Channappa Gowda said: We have directed temple authorities that during `asthamangala prashne' devotees should not be asked to perform the `made made snana' as relief for their problems. This should bring down the practice gradually.

``This year it was announced at the last minute and many were agitated. We will soon hold consultation with all stakeholders and take a decision regarding this practice next year,'' he added.

I am not sure about this practice. Is there an opposition against this practice or for this practice. If it is latter, than we may have a solution. Let the mutts call pure hearted and saintly people belonging to any community. Let people roll in that if that pleases them.

I am not sure about this practice. Is there an opposition against this practice or for this practice. If it is latter, than we may have a solution. Let the mutts call pure hearted and saintly people belonging to any community. Let people roll in that if that pleases them.

Why is a practice (however repugnant) by a private religious group being discussed as discrimination. A voluntary act, not forced by authority, or coerced is not a discrimination.

Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on their membership in a certain group or category. It involves the actual behaviors towards groups such as excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to another group.

Some of the people on this forum have nothing to contribute, except "shouting in public". What a person wants to do as long as it is legal should be up to that person alone. Otherwise it is an infringement of religious freedom. The same people who wailing now against Brhamins will cry if the administration clamps down on some religious practice.

After reading the post by these brahmin bashers and brahmin apologists, i have come to the conclusion is they are misguided. They think out of ignorance that Brahmins wrote the laws. As Mr. Sangom pointed out this action was not mandated by Brahmins:
Deputy Commissioner Channappa Gowda told TOI: We still have restrictions on performing the ritual. But if there is public pressure, we have to bow to it.
Learned scholars like Sarang, Subbudu, and Brahin have pointed out that Rulers were not Brahmins. The rulers framed the law to suit their needs.

Rulers may the be Muslim, British, Turk, Greeks, Chola, or others and were not Brahmins. These rulers wrote the laws of the day. If brahmins used the situation to profit, that is the nature of the beast. Smart person uses all loopholes for their benefit. Just as in today's politics smart people (not Brahmin) are using caste to gain power and wealth.
I wonder why such elementary facts eludes these frequent poster with single purpose of putting down India, Indians, Hindu, etc.

Last edited:
You are off point. What is the religiosity or castehood of acharya to do with this. People do fire walking, piercing tongues/cheeks with arrows, get suspended on a pole with hooks all over the body and do pada yatra without chappals. Christians do mortification ceremonies, some chris saints have sat on thorns, squatted on snow, muslims scar themselves with whip and sword.

Why do you have to bring brahmin - dalits into this.

Shri sarang,

you are right partly. it seems that this ritual had been phased out and has made a reappearance thanks to one Karnataka minister by name S.V. Acharya. I do not know if he is a brahmin or the particular dalit community which believes in the magical effect/s of this ritual. Once we get this we will know who is the villain.

You are off point. What is the religiosity or castehood of acharya to do with this. People do fire walking, piercing tongues/cheeks with arrows, get suspended on a pole with hooks all over the body and do pada yatra without chappals. Christians do mortification ceremonies, some chris saints have sat on thorns, squatted on snow, muslims scar themselves with whip and sword.

Why do you have to bring brahmin - dalits into this.

Because it is taking place in a hindu temple, and there is a separate dining place (hall) for brahmins only in that temple and this ritual is confined to that and that alone, not the other, general dining hall for all others.

Many of the members here may not know that there is a 'made snana' or an equivalent of it going on Kerala and Tamilnadu among a section of the tamil brahmins. On the Vaikkaththashtami day there is usually a grand feast in which all Tamil Brahmins participate. These feasts are usually held in Siva temples all over Tamilnadu and in Kerala. The Vaikom Mahadeva Kshetram is famous for this feast and that is why this is called Vaikaththashtami. There is even a beautiful/melodious malayalam film song which goes like this . வைக்கத்தஷ்டமி நாளில் ஞான் ஒரு வஞ்சிக்காரிய கண்டு ...... though it has nothing to do with the feast.It is a well known custom that in such feasts, after the people finish eating, those who believe in the saying that Mahadeva himself has come and participated in the feast as one among the number of brahmins, lie down on the banaana leaves with left overs and roll. This does not become controversial because there is no compulsion and there is no other caste which comes and participate in such feasts. The brahmin households contribute money for such a feast and also participate in it. May be this has something to do with the போனகம் செய்த சேடம் .......of Thondaradippodi Alwar. Nara will be interested in this.

Why is a practice (however repugnant) by a private religious group being discussed as discrimination. A voluntary act, not forced by authority, or coerced is not a discrimination.

Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on their membership in a certain group or category. It involves the actual behaviors towards groups such as excluding or restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to another group.

Some of the people on this forum have nothing to contribute, except "shouting in public". What a person wants to do as long as it is legal should be up to that person alone. Otherwise it is an infringement of religious freedom. The same people who wailing now against Brhamins will cry if the administration clamps down on some religious practice.

After reading the post by these brahmin bashers and brahmin apologists, i have come to the conclusion is they are misguided. They think out of ignorance that Brahmins wrote the laws. As Mr. Sangom pointed out this action was not mandated by Brahmins:

shri prasad1,

I find this thread was started by you with the ambivalent title"Discrimination - can it be stopped?" but you made yourself clear in the following words:—

Can we eliminate or should we even try to eliminate discrimination? I do not think it is possible.

The discrimination outlawed by the country and some other birth based discrimination should be stopped.

The society should change through education and economics.

In US social discrimination goes on, forced integration is very difficult. The middle class runs from poor neighborhood. Even in Football teams the black players and white players do not integrate.

But you see in our democratic set up and our Constitution we have ceded to the govt. and the lawmakers, the power to make laws for the best progress of the society, and at least the hindus failed to withhold their religion from govt. control.

In the circumstances any ritual, practice or custom which does not synchronize with current era aesthetics, beliefs of the majority, etc., can be viewed as obnoxious by the authorities, if they are so convinced and can ban such practices here in India at least if that pertains to the hindu section of the population.

For example if the same ritual was taking place in some Xian church, or Muslim mosque, nothing could have been done by govt. authorities and/or legislators because the minority religions have shrewdly kept their religion out of reach of govt.

Brahmins come into the picture in this because, as I have pointed out to Shri sarang, this is happening only in the separate dining hall for brahmins (they go by poonal mostly for admitting into this hall, when it comes to the large number of pilgrims from various places) and not in the general dining hall for all people. It is true that we have no evidence to show that brahmins mandated this custom in the kukke subrahmanya temple, unless some new evidence to the contrary comes up in the future. But the available evidence is that it all starts perhaps from a Mahabharata story of a golden mongoose or the story of samba. (But I do not find any reference to any rolling-on-brahmins'-leftover-plantains in Mahabharata or Bhagavata or Harivamsa.)

There can still be a doubt as to why brahmins should be blamed for this ritual because they have not written that doing so in kukke temple will cure leprosy or anything like that. But my opinion is that 500 years back, when this custom reportedly commenced in this kukke temple, without brahmins' tacit support and/or connivance, no Dalit would have been able to enter the brahmins' dining hall in the temple. Hence it may not be very far from truth if we come to the possibility of the brahmins making the particular dalit caste to perform some essential work (decorating the temple car with cane in the place of ropes) and then rewarding them with such self-debasing ritual. Of course, over the years all gullible seections have come to make manouti or vENDutal for various matters and then they perform this in compliance with that.

So, as HappyHindu rightly observed, could not the brahmins have prevented this?

But the present culprit seems to me to be the K'taka religious endowments minister v.s.acharya himself; he has resurrected this evil from its grave and he deserves to be condemned by all right-thinking hindus.

Learned scholars like Sarang, Subbudu, and Brahin have pointed out that Rulers were not Brahmins. The rulers framed the law to suit their needs.

Rulers may the be Muslim, British, Turk, Greeks, Chola, or others and were not Brahmins. These rulers wrote the laws of the day. If brahmins used the situation to profit, that is the nature of the beast. Smart person uses all loopholes for their benefit. Just as in today's politics smart people (not Brahmin) are using caste to gain power and wealth.
I wonder why such elementary facts eludes these frequent poster with single purpose of putting down India, Indians, Hindu, etc.

prasad, smartness alone is not sufficient to invent such obnoxious acts and induce people to do it; power is more important and where power is there smartness is not absolutely necessary. Rituals such as these, right from the golden mongoose story to Samban, s/o Lord Krishna, sexually enjoying his father's many wives - and Krishna, the father, being projected as the Supreme God incarnate, are all machinations of sick and depraved minds. And since only brahmins could incorporate these absurdities into scriptures in those early days, brahmins must be prepared to at least bow their heads...in shame! I do.

Many of the members here may not know that there is a 'made snana' or an equivalent of it going on Kerala and Tamilnadu among a section of the tamil brahmins. On the Vaikkaththashtami day there is usually a grand feast in which all Tamil Brahmins participate. These feasts are usually held in Siva temples all over Tamilnadu and in Kerala. The Vaikom Mahadeva Kshetram is famous for this feast and that is why this is called Vaikaththashtami. There is even a beautiful/melodious malayalam film song which goes like this . வைக்கத்தஷ்டமி நாளில் ஞான் ஒரு வஞ்சிக்காரிய கண்டு ...... though it has nothing to do with the feast.It is a well known custom that in such feasts, after the people finish eating, those who believe in the saying that Mahadeva himself has come and participated in the feast as one among the number of brahmins, lie down on the banaana leaves with left overs and roll. This does not become controversial because there is no compulsion and there is no other caste which comes and participate in such feasts. The brahmin households contribute money for such a feast and also participate in it. May be this has something to do with the போனகம் செய்த சேடம் .......of Thondaradippodi Alwar. Nara will be interested in this.

I do not like this custom, but like you said it is a private practice, and they did not ask my opinion.

As for echchil ilai or sappadu, I wonder what is the relevance, significance or necessity of Maadhyanna Sandhyavandana Prachana mantram said after Maarjanam?

Sangom Sir thanks for your post#148.
The lawmakers and the lobbyist write the law, the lobbyist gets paid by his employer the beneficiary of the legislation. If at all caught the lawmaker is at fault not the lobbyist. In the similar manner the rulers or Temple board who write the rules. The lobbyist (may be a Brahmin) may have helped craft the rule (i do not know why?), but the responsibility according to you rests with Devastanam board. The Devastanam board members who ever they are should be held responsible. Why would a Brahmin from Kashmir, or Orrisa be responsible for this abhorrent practice in Tamil Nadu Temple?
Wow I did not know they have separate dining hall for Brahmin, how do I prove my Brahminness? I probably would not qualify. I have not seen or heard of this practice written in any Veda or Gita. I did not know Brahmins have any power in TN.
A white priest Mr. James John caused more than 900 people mostly minority to kill themselves. Should all whites feel responsible for such acts? Should all white people feel the guilt? No NO.
Jonestown Massacre - The Story of the Jonestown Massacre
The culprit should be held responsible, not the entire community. As a PIO I feel sorry for the ignorant and deplore the people in power, who did nothing.

prasad, smartness alone is not sufficient to invent such obnoxious acts and induce people to do it; power is more important and where power is there smartness is not absolutely necessary.

In this democratic world only smart people become powerful.

Last edited:
Sangom Sir thanks for your post#148.
The lawmakers and the lobbyist write the law, the lobbyist gets paid by his employer the beneficiary of the legislation. If at all caught the lawmaker is at fault not the lobbyist. In the similar manner the rulers or Temple board who write the rules. The lobbyist (may be a Brahmin) may have helped craft the rule (i do not know why?), but the responsibility according to you rests with Devastanam board. The Devastanam board members who ever they are should be held responsible. Why would a Brahmin from Kashmir, or Orrisa be responsible for this abhorrent practice in Tamil Nadu Temple?
Wow I did not know they have separate dining hall for Brahmin, how do I prove my Brahminness? I probably would not qualify. I have not seen or heard of this practice written in any Veda or Gita. I did not know Brahmins have any power in TN.
A white priest Mr. James John caused more than 900 people mostly minority to kill themselves. Should all whites feel responsible for such acts? Should all white people feel the guilt? No NO.
Jonestown Massacre - The Story of the Jonestown Massacre
The culprit should be held responsible, not the entire community. As a PIO I feel sorry for the ignorant and deplore the people in power, who did nothing.

In the indian scenario, I believe there is no lobbyist as such and most draft legislations emanate from the govt.'s side only. So, the govt., and perhaps the predominant power center in the ruling party (which has most of the times been the Nehru family) must be convinced.

We are not discussing here about any contemporary development but one which is a 500 years old custom. When it started, we do not know what sort of conditions prevailed; we can only speculate. To me this must have started as a local custom. Most probably that Dalit tribe called male kuDiya meaning those who live on top of hills (so it seems to me) must have been driven out for settling the plains people in those areas by the then local ruler, whoever he might have been. In return for continued peace from these displaced male kuDiyans, an understanding might have been reached to the effect that once a year they would be allowed to come back to their original place and god and also carry out one small part of the temple car festival, namely preparing the car with the type of cane with which wooden chairs and beds used to be completed. But a condition could have been put that in order for these outcastes to gain entry into the temple, they must first show their abject surrender to the caste people by doing this rolling ritual.

I venture to hazard these guesses because we have very similar histories of displaced tribals/dalits being allowed one-day access annually to their old deity of worship in Kodungalloor on the famous kodungalloor bharani day (google to find out more) and to the Chenchu tribes in Mallikarjuna temple, Srisailam in A.P. Hence brahmins must have played a crucial role in starting this custom imo. And since brahmins as a pan indian caste are being spoken of, all brahmins whether from Kashmir, Bengal or Orissa must feel shame for it.

As I said in an earlier post, at kukke they just observe the poonal; this was told to me by my acquaintance who visited the temple in early November 2011 and recounted his experiences. The temples - almost all of them with exceptions such as Puri Jagannath, were only for the three higher castes and the meals from the temple kitchen was only for brahmins till last century, in most parts of india. it is strange that you as a B are not aware of this.

In the case of James John if he has done it in his mere capacity as a white man then all white men should feel guilty. But I feel his control over people was more due to his religious facet. Hence, at least all people of the same christian denomination should feel ashamed I will say.

In this democratic world only smart people become powerful.

Power does not depend on smartness; it depends on birth (rahul gandhi), money (the ambanis and many others) and luck (mayawati) also.

... May be this has something to do with the போனகம் செய்த சேடம் .......of Thondaradippodi Alwar. Nara will be interested in this.
Raju, the போனகம் செய்த சேடம் is about eating the remnants of people who engage in occupations that are considered lowly, like a butcher, just as long as the person is a bhakta of Vishnu. What is discussed here is about rolling over the echil remains of only Brahmins.

Some have argued why Brahmins must be held responsible for this idiocy. Well, any Brahmin who chooses to enter a Brahmin only hall is culpable. The very reason he does not want to eat in the general area, but prefers a Brahmin only pandhi makes him culpable. This is not an omission out of inaction, but a commission of explicit choice for exclusivity, separateness from all the rest.

I do agree this is a personal choice and those who want to do it can go ahead and do it all they like, in private. But, if it is a temple that comes under the government's jurisdiction, then the government has the lawful authority and even the obligation to institute rules in the public interest.

Cheers!

dear suraju,

i hope you do not approve of it. thank you.

Return the temple administration to those from whom it was taken away by force! Problem solved.

But, if it is a temple that comes under the government's jurisdiction, then the government has the lawful authority and even the obligation to institute rules in the public interest.

Cheers!

Sanatana dharma provides for small communities (irrespective of varna) to form their own rules and customs and live in harmony with other groups. As per yagnavalkya smruthi, even the king is told not to interfere with the customs of the conquered land and its inhabitants. Bharat has a different model, where different groups, varnas, kulas and jathis lived in harmony. The anti brahmin sentiment whipped up by the black shirts has virtually died.

There is no law against practicing any custom so long as it does not harm anyone mentally or physically, not forced, done with voluntarily with faith and devotion. Why brahmins should be held culpable if there is an exclusive eating place? There are thousands of exclusive facilities all over the world to cater to different tastes.

Brahnin bashers are becoming a minority; no wonder karam and causticity is on the ascendant.

Some have argued why Brahmins must be held responsible for this idiocy. Well, any Brahmin who chooses to enter a Brahmin only hall is culpable. The very reason he does not want to eat in the general area, but prefers a Brahmin only pandhi makes him culpable. This is not an omission out of inaction, but a commission of explicit choice for exclusivity, separateness from all the rest.

Cheers!

Sanatana dharma provides for small communities (irrespective of varna) to form their own rules and customs and live in harmony with other groups. As per yagnavalkya smruthi, even the king is told not to interfere with the customs of the conquered land and its inhabitants. Bharat has a different model, where different groups, varnas, kulas and jathis lived in harmony. The anti brahmin sentiment whipped up by the black shirts has virtually died.

There is no law against practicing any custom so long as it does not harm anyone mentally or physically, not forced, done with voluntarily with faith and devotion. Why brahmins should be held culpable if there is an exclusive eating place? There are thousands of exclusive facilities all over the world to cater to different tastes.

Brahmin bashers are becoming a minority; no wonder karam and causticity is on the ascendant.

Cheers!

Reference Kunjuppu in post #154:

dear suraju, i hope you do not approve of it. thank you.

1. There are people who roll over left over food - in the name of belief.
2. There are people who carry a cross on their shoulder and reenact the Biblical scene on the mount of Kalwary faithfully every year(complete with thorn cap,whipping etc) -in the name of belief.
3. There are people who grievously hurt themselves with whips and weapons to remember every year a relative of a prophet - in the name of belief.
4. There are people who kill a buffalo slowly by repeatedly puncturing it with small holes so that it bleeds to death slowly-in the name of belief.
5. There are people who dedicate young girls to Gods and then disfigure the girls' clit -in the name of belief.

Kunjuppu, I can go on and on. I have given up feeling agitated about such practices long back. Finally the residue is the questions- who am I to question all these and can I do anything effectively about all these?

Personally my views about faith (because I have taken pains to know my belief system well) and life are much different.I can say just this much only.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back