• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Diabetes - The slow killer amoung Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectable members, Greetings.

This is a discussion about diabetes. Why suddenly Indians are leading sufferer's of this disease? We did have heridity related cases in the past. But an alarming percentage of Indians are suffering from diabetess. In a different thread, in a different thread Sowbagyavathy Renuka brought diabetes as an example. When I was replying to Sowbagyavathy Renuka, I was thinking about the number of people actually suffer from this disease. When I went to India, I found at least one person suffering from every single family I interacted with. An important topic for usual conversation was management of diabetes. Thankfully, I was spared from these conversations since I don't suffer from diabetes ( they didn't see me as a nurse who manage diabetes for many of my residents).

Why diabetes is on the rise in India? Percentage-wise it's the same as Australia, about 7.2%. But owing to the large population of India, that actual number is staggering.

India

Shall we kindly discuss how we are going to manage it amoung the members and their immediate family, please. Let's make it as useful and as realistic as possible. Yes, our family has a member too. But she is very smart. She taught the endocrinologist a thing or two. She cut down her tablets and manages that with diet and exercise. I shall write that in detail after asking her.

Cheers!

In 2004, the MV Hospital for Diabetes and Diabetes Research Centre in Chennai, India, completed the first-ever study on diabetes in India. According to the website, Diabetes India, the study followed almost 11,000 men and women considered to be at high risk for diabetes for three years. The results showed a disturbing truth: some 35 million Indians suffer from diabetes, and the number of people with the disease has increased 20 times in 20 years.

The percentage of the population with diabetes in India and Southeast Asia as a whole is around 15 percent, as compared to 6 percent of the population of the Western world. Diabetes is the second major cause of heart disease in India, second only to smoking. The study found that, in addition to the cases that are identified every year, at least 13.3 million cases remain undiagnosed. Researchers believe that number is equal to more than 50 percent of Indians living in rural India and 30 percent in Indian cities. This high rate is due to a high susceptibility to environmental risk factors; urbanization, which has led to decreased physical activity; obesity; and changes in diet.

As a greater number of doctors in India begin to specialize in diabetes, they will be able to educate more Indians on the causes, prevention and treatment of diabetes. Until then, diabetes will continue to be a serious problem in this rapidly developing country.

Read more: About Diabetes in India | eHow.com About Diabetes in India | eHow.com

By the end of 2011, India is likely to have 62.4 million diabetics as against 50 million in 2010. What's more, the number of prediabetics (people with impaired glucose tolerance) will be higher at 77.2 million, says a recent study conducted jointly by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and INdia DIABetes (INDIAB).

Last edited:
Each serving of polished rice a day increases the risk of Type II diabetes by 11 per cent, according to a study being published today (Friday) in the British Medical Journal.

Polished rice is commonly called white rice, and one serving refers to nearly 160 grams. “Higher consumption of white rice is associated with a significantly increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially in Asian (China and Japan) populations,” wrote the authors from the Harvard School of Public Health, Boston.

The Hindu : Health / Medicine & Research : White rice intake increases risk of Type II diabetes

I am diabetic, and love white rice. I have difficulty giving up white rice.

Of the many causes, I think, the sedentry lifestyle we have acquired is the villain. We are up with modern cuisines, fast food and eat anything bought out. Gone were the days when in interior places there was definite food habit. The sub-sect people of TBs have been distinct in food matters also. Men and women worked - or toiled(?) - hard to pass a day. Imagine ladies grinding "maavu" for idli, dosa for feeding at least 10 mouths; cleaning up houses Tuesdays and Fridays and of course some other important days. Manually washing of clothes - like hitting them on the washing stones grunting alongside like Federers and Nadals. Came freedom, life started changing gradually and suddenly for some. Those extra sugars were spent and more sugar was needed. We and our lifestyle has upset our system which was not thought of at the transition. Now people talk of jogging, tread machines, yogas. Sugar was pleasure after labour then. Sugar is an enemy without labour now. We failed to manage ourselves at the transition. Of course, we cannot go back unless forced to. Not medicines but life style changes can improve things.

Diabetics being a chronic disease, is expensive to maintain. What with medicines, testing supplies, diet, etc.
So even though it can be controlled, and further complications can be reduced, it still is a life long problem.
So in poor rural community, people might be oblivious of this disease. Even if they find some of the symptoms they may be using traditional medicine.

Greetings.

Sedentery life style is one of the main culprit for this situation. I also suspect the chemicals used to produce vegetables. When i went to India in February, I was not too impressed to see the round beans in the market; I was looking for the usual flat beans. But it looks like, people are used to this GM round beans. So much traffic; stale air to breath. Nil exercise. Only the oldies still walk. I and my wife walked from our serviced apartments for lunch and/ or for dinner ( we had room service. But used it only twice). Our DIL couldn't believe we preferred walking every where!

People eat massive meals. But seldom exercise to burn it out. Even a GP suggested I should be eating larger meals! ( I was getting giddiness spells couple of times. Sowbagyavathy Renuka to note, please! I don't think it was geographical. My BP was way too high; but didn't have headache though). No, I still didn't bother with large meals.

Unfortunately, I don't think people have much choice though. They have to travel long distances for work and takes too long by the time they get home late in the evening. Don't think they can find the energy to cook after that. But diabetes is a very expensive disease.

Lifestyle modifications can work wonders.

Unusual tips to avoid any diseases in life:

1)Have only online friends..so no one comes to your house..no need to go their houses.
So no need to cook for others and no need to eat in others houses.

2)When I travel around here in Malaysia..I usually cook my own food so that I do not consume extra calories.

3)When at a wedding..do not eat deserts..and opt for plain water.
Do not take an extra serving no matter how tempted.
Usually I have a meal before I go for wedding so that I won't eat much at the wedding.

All these type of tips go a long way and help us be healthy!

4)Drink lots of water through out the day.

5)Take 4-5 servings of fruits a day.
I do this...I cut 4-5 fruits into pieces and eat it at one go for tea time.

6)Chose friends who do not drink and smoke..you know why?

Cos when your drink..you tend to have lots of drinks buddies.

drink buddies come over to house to drink for any of the following reasons:

*watching a football game
*his dog died
*his wife ran away with a construction worker
*he got a promotion
*he got fired
*diwali etc

So you see that's why I made sure I married a man who does not drink and smoke so that I do not have to see other drunk men in the house!!

Last edited:
After a long absence, I find that the TB forum juggernaut has been hurtling faster than I can keep pace with!. So, I found a good entry point into the speeding chariot right in this thread! So, here I go.

A cheap diabetes medication may be available right in your backyard!

In India, we have been planting and nourishing ourselves of natural insulin and glucose-regulating vegetables for a longtime. Several in vivo murine, feline, canine, and human studies havebeen carried out to prove this.

பாகக்காய் பாகற்காய் Bittergourd, Karela, Momordica charantia, balsam pear, whatever label you can think of - they all refer to the same green long rough textured vegetable, bitter in taste, perhaps growing right in your backyard. Who would have thought that this cheap vegetable would be able to regulate sugar levels?

In 1999, a clinical trial was conducted to examine the effect of karela on 100 patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Researchers recorded the patients’ sugar levels both without food intake for 12-24 hours and after taking 75g of glucose. They then administered a bitter karela pulp suspension to diabetic patients and 86 out of the 100 showed a significant 14% reductionin fasting and post-meal serum glucose levels.

A 2004 study where 15 men and women with Type 2 Diabetes between the ages of 52 and 65 took 200mg extracted constituentsof bitter melon together with half doses of Metformin, showed a blood glucose level lower than what patients may acquire from taking full doses of Metformin.

How does Bitter Melon work? So many phytochemicals are present in bitter melon and at least 3 different groups of extracted components have been reported to regulate and lower blood glucose levels. These involve glucoside, a steroidal saponin-like substance called charantin; alkaloids called momordicine that suppress neural response to sweet taste stimuli; and peptides mimicking the action of animal insulin.

In2006, a group of Japanese researchers confirmed that the major pure cucurbutanoid compounds of bitter melon lowered blood glucose levels.

Caveat: Reports on bittermelon inducing labor in pregnant women mostly applies to consuming the seeds of bitter melon, which contains phenolphthalein.

Last edited:
After a long absence, I find that the TB forum juggernaut has been hurtling faster than I can keep pace with!. So, I found a good entry point into the speeding chariot right in this thread! So, here I go.

A cheap diabetes medication may be available right in your backyard!

In India, we have been planting and nourishing ourselves of natural insulin and glucose-regulating vegetables for a longtime. Several in vivo murine, feline, canine, and human studies havebeen carried out to prove this.

பாகக்காய் பாகற்காய் Bittergourd, Karela, Momordica charantia, balsam pear, whatever label you can think of - they all refer to the same green long rough textured vegetable, bitter in taste, perhaps growing right in your backyard. Who would have thought that this cheap vegetable would be able to regulate sugar levels?

In 1999, a clinical trial was conducted to examine the effect of karela on 100 patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Researchers recorded the patients’ sugar levels both without food intake for 12-24 hours and after taking 75g of glucose. They then administered a bitter karela pulp suspension to diabetic patients and 86 out of the 100 showed a significant 14% reductionin fasting and post-meal serum glucose levels.

A 2004 study where 15 men and women with Type 2 Diabetes between the ages of 52 and 65 took 200mg extracted constituentsof bitter melon together with half doses of Metformin, showed a blood glucose level lower than what patients may acquire from taking full doses of Metformin.

How does Bitter Melon work? So many phytochemicals are present in bitter melon and at least 3 different groups of extracted components have been reported to regulate and lower blood glucose levels. These involve glucoside, a steroidal saponin-like substance called charantin; alkaloids called momordicine that suppress neural response to sweet taste stimuli; and peptides mimicking the action of animal insulin.

In2006, a group of Japanese researchers confirmed that the major pure cucurbutanoid compounds of bitter melon lowered blood glucose levels.

Caveat: Reports on bittermelon inducing labor in pregnant women mostly applies to consuming the seeds of bitter melon, which contains phenolphthalein.

Good to know. I am surprised that no clinical study in the west has been conducted. The extract is sold as food supplement.

By the way:
India is all set to unveil a path-breaking test for diabetes that will save both money and blood.
Being developed by professor of biological sciences at BITS-Pilani, Dr Suman Kapur, the test will undergo final evaluation by July 15 and is expected to be ready for mass production by December.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,
You and your husband are missing a lot of fun in life!!!
You want to remain in good shape and
he wants to remain in your good books.
God bless you both for your commitments!

Today is July 28th/27th. What was the outcome of the path-breaking test???

Good to know. I am surprised that no clinical study in the west has been conducted. The extract is sold as food supplement.

By the way:
India is all set to unveil a path-breaking test for diabetes that will save both money and blood.
Being developed by professor of biological sciences at BITS-Pilani, Dr Suman Kapur, the test will undergo final evaluation by July 15 and is expected to be ready for mass production by December.

Stopping the smoking tipsy friends from entering our house is easier. :hand:
What if the husband wants to join them in a pub
or one of their houses??? :whoo:

Dear Renu,
You and your husband are missing a lot of fun in life!!!
You want to remain in good shape and
he wants to remain in your good books.
God bless you both for your commitments!

Dear VR ji,

You know I am lucky that both my husband and I do not like to socialize cos I do not like to entertain guests as both of us work long hours and weekends are for our rest and spending time with our son.

My husband does not really need to be in my good books cos he is even more anti social than me!!LOL

You know what is my idea of fun on weekends?

I take my son out to shopping malls, go swimming or go to the gym.
Cook some nice meal and read some book and watch TV at night.

BTW I do not like attending weddings cos it is too much noise and too much food.
Funerals are more quiet and no need to eat food too.

Stopping the smoking tipsy friends from entering our house is easier. :hand:
What if the husband wants to join them in a pub
or one of their houses??? :whoo:

Dear VR ji,

This situation does not arise if a man does not drink and smoke.

BTW my husband and I are 2 nut cases who do not have family friends at all.
We like it that way cos less hassle in life and we really do not like entertaining people at home.
Everyone we know is just at a "Hi" and "Bye" level only.

So far the only people I have called to my house are my parents,brothers and in laws.

Last edited:
Hi nut case, Greetings!

BTW my husband and I are 2 nut cases who do not have family friends at all.

I and Padma are similar nut cases too! We don't entertain any parties at home. If we have to, then we would book a restaurant with loads of soup and salads and entertain there. ( We usually go to 'Sizzlers' for such events). I smoked; but had a no smoking policy inside the house at all times. I always drink alone; never in company. I won't drink outside at all.If I have to accept any social drink, I would choose a light beer, hold the first bottle for ever and leave that unfinished!

( After years later, we are going to entertain our first guest to night! Our son & DIL are visting as guests after they moved out. 'Iyengar samayal' is the request. I will be gone to the kitchen soon!).

Cheers!

Hi nut case, Greetings!

I and Padma are similar nut cases too! We don't entertain any parties at home. If we have to, then we would book a restaurant with loads of soup and salads and entertain there. ( We usually go to 'Sizzlers' for such events). I smoked; but had a no smoking policy inside the house at all times. I always drink alone; never in company. I won't drink outside at all.If I have to accept any social drink, I would choose a light beer, hold the first bottle for ever and leave that unfinished!

( After years later, we are going to entertain our first guest to night! Our son & DIL are visting as guests after they moved out. 'Iyengar samayal' is the request. I will be gone to the kitchen soon!).

Cheers!

We are even worse! we do not even know anyone to take to a restaurant!

My mother always tells me "Renu you and your husband are like an island! get to know some people"

But to be frank Raghy..it is hard to find true friends especially among women.
Women somehow turn out to be what they are not and they will start competing and comparing house decoration etc.

I have no time for all that cock and bull talk.

My mum has weird friends who can't mind their business.

That is the reason why I did not do my Seemanthonayana Sanskar when I was pregnant cos I can't stand my mother's friends and I did not want them to be hanging around me when I am pregnant!!LOL

My best friend who is a male doctor is only on phone basis or we visit each other at workplace if we are in the vicinity.

Sowbagyavathy Renuka,

...Women somehow turn out to be what they are not and they will start competing and comparing house decoration etc.

What about men? They are no different either. If the women compare house decorations, dress, jewels and fridge etc, men compare the house itself, size of TV and what not. You know something? Most Brahmin meetings somehow end up in talking about money. Money like who is the richest, share market situation, speculating money market etc. I can't stand such talks at all. But we don't organise restaurant dinners willy nilly. Would have done only a few so far. Has to be a big occassion. Actually, after our DIL's arrival, Padma hadn't invited anyone yet. ( Don't think she will!).

Cheers!

My own experience is that if Type 2 diabetes is detected early, then it can be controlled...After the age of 40 we should go for a compulsory health check up...Most of ailments start to show up when body resistance reduces..

In case your fasting sugar /PP are even near the upper limit start controlling your diet and excercise.

There use to be a slogan-Walk a mile a day to keep the doctor way

How true this is when almost all of the TB's are into sedentary life style

Besides burning the excercise body fat and improving blood circulation excercise has another benefit..Normally for the diabetes patients HDL Cholestrol (Good cholestrol) is on the lower side...To increase this it is advised to go in for the brisk walk as it helps in production of HDL Cholestrol

Another native technique is taking the fenugreek powder ( வெந்தயம்) first thing in the morning..It works pretty well

Also have small servings of food ...You can have this 6 times a day ...Include lot of green salad & fruits as it reduces the hunger ..The body weight has to be under control...Obesity leads to higher incidence of diabetes

Do not forget to take your blood sugar (atleast quarterly) & lipid profile sugar tests (Twice a year atleast) regularly with all this...Besides check the Haemoglobin A1C quaterly to determine your last 3 months sugar level in blood...As we do not know how our body mechanism functions...Inadvertently we may do/eat something by which our sugar increases..Do not miss any of these tests.

As Type 2 is controllable try to have a strict regimen as far as diet & excercise is concerned...Reduce the dependence on oral tablets or insulin injections...This will go a long way in helping us to lead a healthy life

As Diabetes, one has to make good food choices in consultation with Nutritionist as
suggested above to stabilize blood sugar level as also maintain reasonable healthy
weight. One should take medicine regularly and do exercise all the 7 days without
fail. Exercise really helps. One of my relatives is very punctual in taking medicine
and consulting the doctor at the designated date without fail. That helps him in good
health to the extent.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

All said and done about diet and exercise, a great deal depends on genes. If you are pre-disposed to get this condition or have higher risk of getting this condition, you do not have choice. I agree you need to take all precaution, but you have to accept the condition and live with it.

There is no guilt, as you may not have all the controls in your hand.

Sri. Prasad, Greetings.

If diabetes is pre-disposed, hopefully it may be the on set may be delayed with precautions. That's all. But the condition itself is not that dramatic so as to worry too much. In fact, my wife believes her diabetes on set was due to extreme stress she had to face when she was about 28. It took about 3 years for her even to accept she could have some physical condition that needed attending.

She say she tried different herbs and medications. But now she says her diabetes under control due to exercise and strict diet control.

An important tip from her is this - Improve the muscle tone. While doing exercises like walking, it is better also to use very light weights to improve the muscle tone. She says the muscles burn sugar much quicker than the fat in the body. But one has to warm up the body body before using weights, otherwise would risk torn ligaments.

as per diet, reduce carbohydrates as low as possible. Add fruits, as much vegetables as possible, spinach and nuts. Almonds and our humble peanuts are good. While roasting them, no oil though; roast them in microwave. Small portions, many times. She recommends avacado a lot.

Sri. Prasad, I understand your liking white rice. I like rice too. Often times, I like par-boiled rice though. But have tried low GI rice? I am getting some Basmati rice ( don't remember the brand; I am not home now) comes with low GI certification. My wife saw that rice and she said that is the best rice in the market ( GI certification by Australia. So, has to be authentic). I vaguly remember it was Sabji rice ( I shall confirm later when I get home). That may be a better option for you.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back