• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dalits bent on embracing Islam, peace talks on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the caste Hindus at fault..Or is it the role of gulf money in luring the poor...This has to be nipped in the bud!

Dalits bent on embracing Islam, peace talks on

By Aruvel Raj C
Published: 27th July 2016 03:32 AM

• Dalits.jpg

Members from TNTJ presenting copies of Qurans to Dalits recently | EXPRESS

NAGAPATTINAM :Not satisfied with the proposal put forward by the Joint Commissioner of Hindu Religious & Charitable Endowments (HR&CE) department during a peace committee meeting on Tuesday with regard to mandagapadi rights during the annual Aadi festival at the Bhadra Kali amman Temple at Pazhangkallimedu near Kallimedu in Vedaranyam, a sizable number of Dalit youth are all set to embrace Islam.
Even as the meeting was on , members of Hindu Makkal Katchi who headed towards the Dalit locality in a bid to presuade them not to convert were stopped by police. It may be recalled that district functionaries of Tamil Nadu Thowheed Jamath visited the Dalits and handed them copies of the Quran. The Dalits also claim that they were contacted by a Christian Missionary.
Speaking about what happened in the meeting, N Senthil, a representative of Dalits who participated told Express, “The JC told us that we can have a confined Mandagapadi Right on the fourth morning of the festival and that during the night, caste Hindus from Thamaraipulam will administer the festival. But, we have been demanding for a right to manage the festival for a whole day on any of the five days as the other three days are reserved for Caste Hindus. Anyhow, I need to consult with the elders of our community and most probably around 50 youngsters will convert to Islam initially. We are yet to decide on their proposal.”
Responding to the demand of Dalits, officials during the meeting reportedly asked them to provide enough proof to support their claim that the temple was originally located in their locality as claimed by them. Speaking to Express, P Manavazhagan,
Executive Officer (EO) of the Batrakaliamman temple said, “The JC has asked the Dalits to table the evidences in order to support their claim. If they provide those, the HR&CE department might reconsider their plea. They have asked time till Wednesday morning to answer for the proposal.” When asked about the availability of any Sthala Puranam of the temple the EO said there was none.
The peace committee meeting has held at the office of Executive Officer of Sri Batrakaliyamman Kovil. The sitting was headed by JC Kumaradurai and participated by the representatives of Dalits and Caste Hindus, DSP Pon Karthick Kumar, Thalaignayiru Inspector Suba Vadivel, Tahsildar Ilangovan, and other officials.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...-peace-talks-on/2016/07/27/article3548985.ece

Let them choose their religion using their free will. The fact will remain that a Pattani Muslim will not give his son or daughter in marriage to these converts. That will be the touchstone.

hi

further they become.....dalit muslim/dalit christian....not original muslim/christian....let them go....hinduism will not die....

becoz of this...they will suffer more in their new religion....just use for some other activities...

tbs, vaaagmi,

it is not who gets converted.it is the number game. i knew one dalit converted to islam, 10 kids. and the population game. it is not for today. two three generations from now. and we are having smaller and smaller families.

today europe cannot function without muslim immigrant labour. and in 50 years not only have they become assertive, but also a threat to their way of life. all labels in europe, are now labelled per halal rules.

not sure where this will all end up. every convert is a loss to hindu fold. we do not look upon all hindus as the same. our caste divides us from our bigger faith. when this happens, others come and play in our ground. ever try to do that in their grounds, and inspite of their differences, they unite.

I dont get it...when a Dalit chooses to convert Non Dalits make such a big hue and cry..but when he is a Hindu ....the same Non Dalits treat him worse than an animal.

Personally I feel a Dalit is only looking for respect and acceptance..he is not seeking to marry a Pattani Muslim's daughter etc.

At least when they open the Quran they do not see any word there referring to them as unfit to enter a place of worship.

We Hindus only know to play the blame game but none of us Hindus have the b**ls to make a change..
well I guess sans b**ls = Ahimsa!

Last edited:
It is high time the Hindu religious leaders immediately come forward and declare Dalits are also Hindus and they have every right in Hindu festivals. Unless it is stopped immediately, the worst sufferer will be the Religion and not individual caste groups.

Casteism is a very minor thing and it can be fully eradicated. All religious leaders of different castes must convene a meeting urgently to stop this. Otherwise, it may spread.

tbs, vaaagmi,

it is not who gets converted.it is the number game. i knew one dalit converted to islam, 10 kids. and the population game. it is not for today. two three generations from now. and we are having smaller and smaller families.

today europe cannot function without muslim immigrant labour. and in 50 years not only have they become assertive, but also a threat to their way of life. all labels in europe, are now labelled per halal rules.

not sure where this will all end up. every convert is a loss to hindu fold. we do not look upon all hindus as the same. our caste divides us from our bigger faith. when this happens, others come and play in our ground. ever try to do that in their grounds, and inspite of their differences, they unite.

True; we don't have a set of players; but we have a huge crowd of commentators waiting for the play to start and make exclusive commentaries from within the four walls !!

tbs, vaaagmi,

hi sir,

i can understand....i heard once....whole meenakshipuram village dalits try to convert ISLAM....i think this ramkumar is

from that village...dalit leaders exploit them....just vote bank politics...

It is politics or not and ultimately the suffer is the Hinduism.

Hindus, in general, and religious leaders, in particular, never learn what will happen once the demography changes. Pakistan, Bangladesh and now Kashmir are a tip of the ice berg, apart from local areas like Melvisharam, Mallapuram etc.

What is the harm in accommodating Dalits and give them equal space in all religious activities?

The present generation may not feel the hardship. But the generations to follow may find it difficult to survive, if there is change in demography.

Though Abrahimic religions have ideological differences, within the various denominations, they survive and spread. Hinduism which does not have much ideological difference is unable to bring unity among various sections. Various religious heads, catering to specific target groups, are responsible for this. Hinduism is in very badly need of a reformer like Swami Vivekananda.

Unless there is a drastic change, Hinduism may become the centre point of discussion among various International forums on how caste and disunity among people are responsible for the dilution of a religion once popular. Apart from conversion, erosion is possible due to sheer frustration of people who want unity among Hindus.

I dont get it...when a Dalit chooses to convert Non Dalits make such a big hue and cry..but when he is a Hindu ....the same Non Dalits treat him worse than an animal.

I am a Hindu and I do not treat a dalit like I treat an animal. None of my neighbours do that. None of my friends do that. I have never come across such maltreatment in my circle of friends, associates and relatives. Most of the city dwellers just do not bother about caste. In fact we never ask any one whether he/she is a dalit. Without asking there is no way one can know whether the person is a dalit or not.

In villages it works in a different way. A person's background is well known right from birth. And in villages respect for a person comes from his land holdings and wealth. If a dalit is rich and owns a good extent of land he will be addressed with respect. If a high caste brahmin does not own land and has no money either, he becomes a "Pichchaikku vantha paappaan".

So there is no substance in this quoted argument.

Personally I feel a Dalit is only looking for respect and acceptance..he is not seeking to marry a Pattani Muslim's daughter etc.

I keep repeating this. Respect is what one gives oneself. When you expect it from outside and do not get it, all kinds of misinterpretations and misjudgments and prejudices sneak in. Then it becomes an irreconcilable we versus they. Usually the lower segments believe marriage is the only final satisfactory proof of acceptance of equality and that is why I mentioned about a Pattani muslim refusing to marry a dalit girl/boy. While Swati perhaps thought that Ramkumar was not looking attractive, Ramkumar perhaps thought he was rejected because of his caste background. For him it was a helples situation as he could do nothing about his caste. So caste is more complicated than we think.

At least when they open the Quran they do not see any word there referring to them as unfit to enter a place of worship.

This is mischevous, to say the least.. Which ancient religious literature of hindus refer to this kind of disquallification? Hinduism is not just two thousand odd years old.

This is mischevous, to say the least.. Which ancient religious literature of hindus refer to this kind of disquallification? Hinduism is not just two thousand odd years old.

Oops I forgot...Dalitam is also Madhuram!

Had a Dalit been a District ...Collector / Judge ............... the high caste Hindus .....could ignore and disrespect him ?

The yard stick for respect / regard in this modern material world is money / social status not the caste tag !!

Last edited:
I think we should resolve all differences that we have with Dalits & treat them on a equal footing...We have to to nip the brotherhood between abrahamic fundamentalists & Dalits!! As pointed by Shri Vaagmi no one asks for caste in cities! By 2050, understand the population in our cities will increase from 33% to 60% due to rapid urbanization...A massive jump that will wipe of the so called differences!

Last edited:
Wealth does not necessarily lead to better acceptance of dalit.

Kamlapathi Tripathi washed the statue of Gandhiji in benaras with gangajal because earlier it was garlanded by Jagjiwan Ram, then union minister. It made headlines.

Caste ism at its worst in urban area.

Cow vigilantes relentlessly attacking dalits and minority community in parts of maharashtra.

All these point to deep rooted prejudices in predominent hindu religeous nation after the rise of hindu right party to power

I agree with the first part of what the BJP MP says! Conversion is also equally responsible..It is a warning to Hindus! Let us respect the Dalits!!

Hindu religion in danger because of its 'protectors', not conversion: BJP MP

By PTI
Published: 30th July 2016 10:37 PM

• BJP MP Udit Raj today claimed the Hindu religion is in "danger" not because of conversion but because of its "so-called protectors".
  • The Dalit leader raised apprehensions over "survival of Hindu religion" in the country.
  • He claimed the biggest temple of Hindus is in Cambodia today but there is not a single Hindu there.

NEW DELHI: Close on the heels of "rumours" of some Dalit families planning to embrace Islam after they were allegedly denied entry into a Tamil Nadu temple, BJP MP Udit Raj today claimed the Hindu religion is in "danger" not because of conversion but because of its "so-called protectors".
The Dalit leader raised apprehensions over "survival of Hindu religion" in the country, and said it's "in danger" not because of conversion of Dalits into other religions but because of its "so-called protectors". There were reports recently that following denial of permission to the Dalits by upper caste Hindus to conduct rituals at the ancient Badrakaliyamman temple at Nagapattinam, during the Tamil month of Adi, some Dalits had planned to embrace Islam.
The Nagapattinam district administration had later denied the report. Raj said if the doors of temples are closed for Dalits then they would go to Church, Mosque, and "we (Dalits) would not be responsible for that". "...and then those people (the custodian of Hindu religion) have problems with Dalits entering Church or Mosque.
They say Hindu religion is in danger. It is because of them only and not because of us (Dalits)," Raj, who is national chairman of All-India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations, said.
He claimed that in countries like Burma, Thailand, Iran, Phillipines, Kazakhstan and Afghanistan, the Hindu population has decreased significantly, and "it's difficult for Hindu religion to survive in India also and we will not be responsible for that."
He claimed the biggest temple of Hindus is in Cambodia today but there is not a single Hindu there. Addressing the two-day national convention of the body, he said there is no religion in the world where people attack their "own people (from same religion) in the name of the same religion". Asked about the recent atrocities on Dalits, he said, "Wherever such situations occur, it should be condemned and everyone should come forward to fight against it.
"I am suprised...Why only Dalits come forward whenever atrocities happen against them?" he asked. He also said that whosoever "may be in power, attacks on Dalits have been going on and the only difference is in quantity".

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...nversion-BJP-MP/2016/07/30/article3555263.ece

Conversions from Hinduism is a continuous process and was happening since time immemorial. All other faiths in India have come from else where and then grown because of conversions only. Hinduism is not that broadminded to adopt people from other faiths to convert to Hinduism and that's why we are on the diminishing side. Hinduism still survived the 400 plus years of Mugal era and suppression of religious activities of Hindus by rulers like Aurangzeb, Tippu Sultan etc.. During British Christian missionaries also did their best to convert maximum number of Hindus to their faith. I think the present conversion drama going on news is only a political gimmick to an attempt to gain some political mileage and access to the temple. Any how I also support their demand to get access to the temple as right to worship is also ensured by our constitution. Need to more revolutionize our Hindu mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back