• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something called Hinduism in the first place? I do not think so.

What we call Hinduism today is a conglomerate of various school of thoughts...ranging from Shaivaism,Vaishnavaism,Shaktaism,Culturalism, Tribalism etc.

Everything has been grouped under one umbrella and given a new name that is Hinduism..countless new gods/goddesses were added as time went on to assimilate with the local population who would have had their own cultural believes prior to introduction of some amount of Vedic form of worship.

Coming to if Buddhist are majority ..will they allow Hindus to practice their religion? Frankly speaking hardly anyone in this world practices any form of religion in the true sense.

Many use religion just as a form of identity to hold on strongly for an ego boost of some kind.

The human ego will survive in some form or the other..so there is nothing to worry.

True Madam!

After all, Hinduism is a term coined by the british to refer to this what you have called 'conglomerate (perhaps motley crowd) of various schools of thought ....' existing during british rule, in the then-so-called-Hindustan hardly representing/reflecting Vedic thought.

Last edited:
There has been a vast majority of people in this country, consisting of the Shudra, and still lower castes, who were never a part of the so called hinduism.

I suppose this is just your opinion? Definitely you would be aware of the verse in the purusha suktam:

brAhmaNo asya mukhamAseet | bAhoo rAjanya: krta: |ooru tadasya yad vaishya | padbhyAm shoodro ajAyata ||

We can belabour on how this could be an interpolation or not, but the fact is that shudras were, indeed, part of hinduism. At least as per the PS.

Why state the obvious? We write our opinion and quote statements the we agree with.
i have experience with the tribals, and majority of them know very little about bg or any other Hindu texts or stories. In that respect you may say they do not form the mainstream Hindus.
so if we agree on a litmus test for Hindu, many would fail.

i have experience with the tribals, and majority of them know very little about bg or any other Hindu texts or stories. In that respect you may say they do not form the mainstream Hindus.

Dear Prasad ji,

Tribals I feel might not know much about any organized religion but they can outshine any one with an organized religion.

A few years back a small plane crashed in the jungles of Borneo and the rescue team engaged the help of the local tribals to locate survivors.

The tribals located some survivors and when the government want to give them some token of appreciation the tribals refused and said 'we are only supposed to do our duty..we do not do duty with any motive or hoping for any returns"

Well...thats Bhagavad Geeta alright to me.

I have even seen a documentary about indigenous people of Peru who live in the jungle and one person was talking about Universal Energy and its harmony in nature and its expression in each of one living entities including humans and the need to respect the elements of nature etc..he went on saying about the all pervading quality of the Universal Energy and how upon death one goes back to these elements and merges with the Universal Energy.

It all sounded very Advaitic to me.

One does not have to subscribe to any organized religion to know what is out there.

I feel intuition gives answers.

I have even seen a documentary about indigenous people of Peru who live in the jungle and one person was talking about Universal Energy and its harmony in nature and its expression in each of one living entities including humans and the need to respect the elements of nature etc..he went on saying about the all pervading quality of the Universal Energy and how upon death one goes back to these elements and merges with the Universal Energy.

It all sounded very Advaitic to me.

One does not have to subscribe to any organized religion to know what is out there.

I feel intuition gives answers.

Well said Renuka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back