• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Civility watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nara

Siva, let us use this thread to keep track of personally insulting comments, ones that have no place in a civil discussion. Hope this serves as a watchdog and motivates people to cut back on unnecessary personal attacks.

Unfortunately, the counter has already started. Here is an unnecessarily provocative and insulting comment from prasad1 here.

"These anti social elements are like Taliban, just to destroy you for fun.
"

Insult counter: Progressives 0, Other-side 1

Cheers!

civility - formal or perfunctory politeness

I think someone forgot to read the second meaning of the word.civility - the act of showing regard for others.
The constant mocking of one's belief and faith is also uncivil.

Belief and Faith are their to be tested... to see whether it can withstand the Test of Time!

Raw emotions will destroy the Faith & Belief...

That's the point, beware!

:)

I think someone forgot to read the second meaning of the word.civility - the act of showing regard for others.
prasad1, there may be several dimensions to civility, but the very basic one is refraining from gratuitous personal comments. Let us see how the two sides stack up on this very basic measure.

Cheers!

A classic case of the three fingers doing U turn
icon2.png
icon2.png
icon2.png

from the index finger pointing out at someone???

This is plain commonsense and everyday occurrence

but never makes an impression where it is desired.

It is by no means an insult. Anyone can assure that.

Statistics is the greatest lie a man can create by

manipulation.

So your scores mean nothing to me!

Insult counter: Progressives 0, Other-side 2

A classic case of the three fingers doing U turn
icon2.png
icon2.png
icon2.png

from the index finger pointing out at someone???

Insult counter: Progressives 0, Other-side 2

Shr Nara, what is this? I am surprised by your counting 2 for what Smt.Visalakshi has stated..

Showing middle finger to some one is uncivil. Not the index fingure.

Pointing a person during a heated argument, blaming the other, with the index finger is quite a common body language and is not considered as insult/abuse/tauting/outrageous gesture.

Who are "Progressives" and who are "Others"? What is the basis for classification?
Thanx in advance for any clarification
Narayan, people don't like to be labelled. But here there is a need to identify the two groups that are almost always at each others throats, one side blaming the other for lack of civility. So I just made up these two labels.

Since we advocate change and reform I thought "progressive" will fit. I wanted the other side to choose any label they want, that is why I just left it as "Others". If you have any other suggestions I will be happy to adopt it.

Cheers!

Shr Nara, what is this? I am surprised by your counting 2 for what Smt.Visalakshi has stated..
Ravi, it was an unnecessary personal comment about me. Instead of commenting on what I was saying, like prasad1 did -- which is why I did not count his negative comment as uncivil -- VR says I am not qualified to keep this count. This kind of personal comment is what I want us to avoid.

Cheers!

Narayan, people don't like to be labelled. But here there is a need to identify the two groups that are almost always at each others throats, one side blaming the other for lack of civility. So I just made up these two labels.

Since we advocate change and reform I thought "progressive" will fit. I wanted the other side to choose any label they want, that is why I just left it as "Others". If you have any other suggestions I will be happy to adopt it.

Cheers!

My concern was a stray comment by irregulars (like me) may be added to the "score" of one side or another and both may want to disown people like me in either group.

Regards

My concern was a stray comment by irregulars (like me) may be added to the "score" of one side or another and both may want to disown people like me in either group.
We can keep a count on just individuals instead of groups, but that would be too cumbersome. I am open to ideas, please suggest an alternative.

Cheers!

People of Faith & Belief have the license issued by their Gods to be rude and inconsiderate... ROFL... or LOL.

Again, they pray all day to clean their soul of the sins they commit everyday... What a convenient design!!

We can keep a count on just individuals instead of groups, but that would be too cumbersome. I am open to ideas, please suggest an alternative.

Cheers!

May be a three-way classification as progressive (or core group 1), core group 2 and nebulous (or residual group) may be a satisfactory initial arrangement. With so much of floating population, it is unfair that their (the nebulous group) comments should affect any one group.

Actually I am in favour of expunging the offensive remarks, rather than letting them remain in the archives.

Regards,

Last edited:
May be a three-way classification as progressive (or core group 1), core group 2 and nebulous (or residual group) may be a satisfactory initial arrangement.

Alright, I will use Group A to mean people who criticize Brahminism in one form or another, Group B to mean those who try to defend Brahminism in one form or another, and Group C everyone else.

Insult counter: Group A = 0, Group B = 3, Group C = 0

Actually I am in favour of expunging the offensive remarks, rather than letting them remain in the archives.
I feel this is like sweeping them under the rug. They must remain as a mark of shame for those who stoop to make such comments. My hope is to motivate and encourage everyone to refrain from making comments about the person instead of the views that are expressed.

I invite other ways to improve the counter, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

Can you please prove your statement highlighted in blue?

I have no doubts that a person knows HIS OWN worth better than any outsider.

But that info need not be off loaded onto my shoulders- just to increase the score!

There are three types of lies:-
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Any one can assure you of the accuracy of this statement also.

Ravi, it was an unnecessary personal comment about me. Instead of commenting on what I was saying, like prasad1 did -- which is why I did not count his negative comment as uncivil -- VR says I am not qualified to keep this count. This kind of personal comment is what I want us to avoid.

Cheers!

People of Faith & Belief have the license issued by their Gods to be rude and inconsiderate... ROFL... or LOL.

Again, they pray all day to clean their soul of the sins they commit everyday... What a convenient design!!

Yamaka,

That is even part of Nature's design, how your body creates half a billion cells per minute, getting rid of the dead cells after breaking down food.

Getting rid of sins is even part of Nature, without your own knowledge ;) ROFL!

Nara,

Yamaka showed me the way to use ROFL!, so no offense on my side B! ;)

Is this a Deepavali Pattimantram ?? or Relax Game??

I am all in favour of this Score, because ultimately Side B will have high Score! People would interpret differently saying, there were many voters to Side B in defense!!

Last edited:

Any one can assure you of the accuracy of this statement also.
Mrs. VR, if you say your comment about three fingers pointing towards me when I point a finger at someone else is not a comment directed at me as a person, then, I will just take your word for it. I will revise the counter as follows:

Insult counter: Group A = 0, Group B = 3, Group C = 0

Group A = people who criticize Brahminism in one form or another,
Group B = those who try to defend Brahminism in one form or another, and
Group C = everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one from prasad1 must count for more than 1 point. Let me see how many people take objections to such vile, from here.

"The cynics even signs his insult with false greeting of cheers, man the drooling of venom is a dead giveaway."

Insult counter: Group A = 0, Group B = 4, Group C = 0

Group A = people who criticize Brahminism in one form or another,
Group B = those who try to defend Brahminism in one form or another, and
Group C = everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back