• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins for Bharathanatyam and Saastriya sangeetham

Status
Not open for further replies.
reply to # 100.

Mr.N.S.P.

I learnt yesterday that NOTHING is wrong!

So NOTHING can be illegal.

Nothing should be illegal - including slander!

Go ahead in full speed! Good luck to you!

He who shouts loudest is not necessarily the most correct person.

He might have been born with strong vocal chords to compensate for his lack

of vitamin I. Figure out this - if you can!

V.R.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, will you please educate me a little? As I was I growing up I have read about Subbudu. I know he is a severe and unforgiving critique. But I really don't know much more, i.e., I have no idea whether his criticisms were well reasoned or gratuitous. May I request other members to educate me a little on this subject?

Thank you ....

Dear Mr. Nara,

There was a time when the very name Subbudu struck terror in the hearts of the

artists. He was a severe and unforgiving critic as you have rightly put it.

Whatever might have been his 'vidhvath' and accomplishments he considered that

all the artists were merely percussion instruments laid out for him to play

'thani aavarthanam!

with warm regards,
V.R.

reply to # 99.

Dear Mr. R.K.B.

In my opinion an umpire CONDUCTS the game, as per the rules of the game.

The commentator DESCRIBES the game, as it is actually being played.

But a critic's job is different. I don't understand how you can compare the three of them as if they are one and the same.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Madam, you cannot blame me for what you have assumed. I never said that they are one and the same. I only said that a critic's JOB is to lead the artist to a new height.
reply to # 99.

Dear Mr. R.K.B.

In my opinion an umpire CONDUCTS the game, as per the rules of the game.

The commentator DESCRIBES the game, as it is actually being played.

But a critic's job is different. I don't understand how you can compare the three of them as if they are one and the same.

with warm regards,
V.R.

I just attempted to point out the a legal blunder that is inhibiting the artists. I don't understand as to how one see a Slander in it?

Illegal things are illegal till the law is amended for a correction.
reply to # 100.

Mr.N.S.P.

I learnt yesterday that NOTHING is wrong!

So NOTHING can be illegal.

Nothing should be illegal - including slander!

Go ahead in full speed! Good luck to you!

He who shouts loudest is not necessarily the most correct person.

He might have been born with strong vocal chords to compensate for his lack

of vitamin I. Figure out this - if you can!

V.R.

Hello everyone, will you please educate me a little? As I was I growing up I have read about Subbudu. I know he is a severe and unforgiving critique. But I really don't know much more, i.e., I have no idea whether his criticisms were well reasoned or gratuitous. May I request other members to educate me a little on this subject?

Thank you ....
Dear Prof. Nara,

I typed a response about two hours ago but it has not appeared here. I don't know whether it is due to my fault or whether my post has been deleted. Anyway, this is more or less what I wrote.

My knowledge about Late subbudu is from what my uncle used to tell. My uncle was a connoisseur of cm and could sing very well. But we have heard him sing only once when he was already past his 70's.

My uncle felt that Subbudu was a destructive critic. His criticism was so negative. Instead he should have gently pointed out the flaws and encouraged every one to attain greater heights, he felt. It seeems that Subbudu's rise to fame as an art critic was because he was lucky to get the acquaintance of some big shots in AIR. He then worked for some paper, and gradually got into the good books of Kalki and Sadasivam. Curiously, Subbudu antagonized Semmangudi, eventhough Sadasivam and Semmangudi were very close friends. This ultimately resulted in Madras Music Academy displaying a notice outside the hall saying, "Dogs and Subbudu not allowed."

Subbudu was very critical of A.R. Rahman's music but towards the end he took a more compromising view.

My uncle used to say that the annihilating type of criticism practised by Subbudu was probably because of a latent inferiority complex in him since he did not have any worthwhile credentials in this regard, when his family returned from Burma and he had to seek a living somehow.

.....My uncle felt that Subbudu was a destructive critic. His criticism was so negative. Instead he should have gently pointed out the flaws and encouraged every one to attain greater heights, he felt.
Thank you sir for the answer. It seems Subbudu's criticisms were not off base altogether, they had some truth, but he laced it with too much negativism.

Irrespective of the merits of Subbudu, a good critic need not be of the same caliber as that of the performer. A critic's job is to find the good and the bad and write about them in an interesting manner for the benefit of the general public. Not anyone can do this well, I think.

Thanks to Mrs. VR also for giving a perspective.

Cheers!

Subbudu did the same thing that all his predecessor did as critics. The only difference is that he made it in Tamil in AV while all before him did it in English.

The Carnatic Music world is now without any Critics and so is getting distorted with Corporate influences. All the writing in almost all the media about the concerts are a paid one today. Electronic media is also no different in this regard. The media barons like 'The Hindu' try to dominate all the Sabhas and so criticism is not possible today.

Subbudu is therefore a phenomenon.

It is not only Thavil, the entire Tamil clan is missing in the Gold Medalist listing at CWG. The only consolation is the paddler Rajath Kamal, a North Indian settled in Chennai! It is a surprise that nobody is facing the music for it. The entire Tamil community needs many Subbudus in several fields. Otherwise the CWG debacle for Tamils will be portrayed as an achievement of MK and Puratchi Thalaivi!

May be VR madam will have a word of praise for this accomplishment without any tone of criticism!
About CWG, I found our 'Thavil' or even 'Mridhangam' was missing in the grand performances with the drums. Just like our Bharathanatyam artistes, our other artistes also do not gel well for grand performances. Here all live a life of 'thani Aaavarthanam'.

Last edited:
Democracy makes it possible for a Government to be illegal. Therfore Brahmins need not shy away from these art for these petty things. They can take the Government under their control by their Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back